Which male player has had the biggest impact on tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which male player has had the biggest impact on tennis?

JCF
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I'd say Agassi, but also McEnroe in some ways.

Jenrios
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
In what way? and why would you pick Mac and Agassi? I can make a case for Lendl, in that his training regime inspired others, who perhaps didn't have as much talent as other players, but through sheer hard work, made a dent on the tour.

Then you have Becker and Graf impacting on German tennis, Rios on S American tennis - it'd be easier to say in what way they made an impact.

Jenrios
02-21-2006, 03:06 PM
You need to define impact - like, popularity, (global or nationally), shot-making, training, humanitarism etc.

JCF
02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I mean in terms of popularity....those 2 stick out because of their personalities and the amount of fans both have...

NicoFan
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
There would be so many - and as JenRios said, it would depend on the country. A Laver for Australia; a Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Agassi for the States; Rafa and Carlos for Spain; Marcelo for Chile; Becker, Graf for Germany, etc. etc. Sometimes someone comes along that goes popular internationally - maybe like a Bjorn Borg, Edberg, maybe Lendl or a Navritilova. But hard to say who had the biggest impact.

Off the top of my head Laver maybe - he brought the game out to be noticed by everyone. Followed by Borg, Connors and McEnroe.

TennisGrandSlam
02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Must be Bjorn Borg

then, Jimmy Connors

jtipson
02-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Yep, has to be Borg.

cobalt60
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
If I had to pick one person it would be BORG. Then maybe VILAS for South America as far as the impact on the sport.

mangoes
02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I think this question should be broken up into Era or Country.

I'd say Borg, but I'd also say, presently, Agassi.....

Peoples
02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Do you see thousands of players (plus recreational ones) trying to play like McEnroe? Sampras? No because they don't have the talent even if they try their hardest. But it's gonna be hard to repeat the kind of influence Agassi had on the style of play in the 90s, now and in the future.

TennisGrandSlam
02-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I think this question should be broken up into Era or Country.

I'd say Borg, but I'd also say, presently, Agassi.....

S. America - Vilas

N. America - Connors

Asia - Chang

Europe - Borg

Africa - maybe Arthur Ashe :cool:

Australia - Rod Laver

Serve and Volley - Becker, Sampras, Rafter

Baseliner - Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Agassi

All-court - Connors

Talent - McEnroe

Sportsmanship - Edberg

Globally, Borg

Lee
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Guga for Brasil

PamV
02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I think it would be impossible to pick just one. For one thing different players have inspired different countries depending on where they are from. It's sort of hard to know unless one would be old enough to have experienced the older generations too.

From what I've read, the McEnroe, Borg, Connors rivalries and personalities increased world wide interest in tennis a lot. But I don't know how it was in the days of Laver.

PamV
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Yep, has to be Borg.

I saw Borg's bio on the Tennis Channel and from that I saw that he was a pop idol in his day. I don't know if any other tennis star has ever achieved that amount of adoration world wide. Borg had the right look at the right time.

However, I never saw him play and many young people have either never heard of him, or only would recognize his name and know very little about him. So although he had a star quality and lots of fans.....what was his lasting influence on tennis? I wouldn't know.

mandy20
02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
ANDRE AGASSI

Merton
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I think Lendl's baseline agression stands out in terms of being the most influential style fot upcoming players. In terms of tennis popularity it is much harder to estimate.

ServeAlready81
02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd say Agassi, because he's popular worldwide, not just in the states.

binkygirl
02-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Agassi..People who have never played tennis, know that name!

Pixie
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I saw Borg's bio on the Tennis Channel and from that I saw that he was a pop idol in his day. I don't know if any other tennis star has ever achieved that amount of adoration world wide. Borg had the right look at the right time.

I second that. And I remember former tennisman Yannick Noah testifying the incredible aura the swedish had among not only the public but also the players. And to compare with others of today is quite difficult as his arrival coincided with/marked the explosion of tennis in the world.

helen phillips
02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
As someone who lives in North America I would have to choose Connors. Connors with help from others (Nastase springs to mind) really wore down the country club mystique of the game and made it interesting and accessible to a broader public. They transformed the game from being quite cerebral into something passionate.

More recently the whole Connors versus the establishment schtick was recycled very effectively by the Williams sisters using race rather than class as its axis.

bokehlicious
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Definitely Borg

MisterQ
02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
In that article I posted a couple of weeks ago, Wilander said that nobody had done more for tennis than Agassi and Borg.

Personally, I don't know, it's a hard thing to quantify. I do know that growing up, for me tennis equaled John McEnroe. But this may just be because I was a child in the '80s.

yoguis
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Agassi...