If Fed wins RG, where does he stand ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Fed wins RG, where does he stand ?

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
With 8 slams, 1 non calendar year Grand Slam...
Maybe he would be not totally in the first group, but with the NCGS a little above the second group. Your thoughts ?

Daniel
02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
With Laver, Borg and Sampras in the elite :)

Nathaliia
02-21-2006, 08:37 AM
if he wins - in the elite. But he'll never win this one. I predicted it at the beginning of his career and still it's real. Always some latino will be found to kick him out :angel: Maybe Chucho can do it this year ;).

Federerthebest
02-21-2006, 08:41 AM
it annoys me that you put roy emerson in the second-tier group

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 08:42 AM
That speaks volumes on the kind of pressure he will feel going to Paris...

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 08:44 AM
it annoys me that you put roy emerson in the second-tier group
WHy, I think everybody agrees that although he has a great record, he won so many slams because Laver and Rosewall had turned pro. He's never cited in the same breath as the three others...

Action Jackson
02-21-2006, 08:44 AM
He will stand on the winners dais and giving a victory speech in French.

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 08:48 AM
He will stand on the winners dais and giving a victory speech in French.
Oh yeaaahhh, I forgot that !! Would be awesome with the little mistakes. Will he cry again ? Who will hand him the trophy ? Borg would be great in that role, as Laver just did the ceremony for the last one. Rog: "Merci, je.... je sais pas quoi dire (pleurs) c'est trop beau, c'est mon grand chelem le plus dur (pleurs)"

bokehlicious
02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Oh yeaaahhh, I forgot that !! Would be awesome with the little mistakes. Will he cry again ? Who will hand him the trophy ? Borg would be great in that role as Laver just did for the last one "Merci, je.... je sais pas quoi dire (pleurs) c'est trop beau, c'est mon grand chelem le plus dur (pleurs)"

:) I'd rather think of a speech like this: "c'est cool de réaliser le Roger slam et de gagner ici, mais Wimbledon aura toujours la première place dans mon coeur :p " with his swiss-german accent...

Puschkin
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
:) I'd rather think of a speech like this: "c'est cool de réaliser le Roger slam et de gagner ici, mais Wimbledon aura toujours la première place dans mon coeur :p " with his swiss-german accent...
Mdhubert' prediction is more likely, though, but I prefer to think about that only on 4 th June 2006.

atheneglaukopis
02-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Who thinks his French will abandon him entirely?

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't like this "Roger slam" it looks like a cheap McDonald's promotion, "in 05-06, the Roger slam, a slam with 3 Juliette steacks inside..." :devil:
It reminds me the "Serena slam", which is not a good sign in terms of what happens later...
Laver did the Grand Slam twice and nobody talks about "the Laver slam", like "two slams for the price of one". But we are in a marketing-PR era...

Action Jackson
02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't like this "Roger slam" it looks like a cheap McDonald's promotion, "in 05-06, the Roger slam, a slam with 3 Juliette steacks inside..." :devil:
It reminds me the "Serena slam", which is not a good sign in terms of what happens later...
Laver did the Grand Slam twice and nobody talks about "the Laver slam", like "two slams for the price of one". But we are in a marketing-PR era...

Don't like to do this, but that is right on the money.

bokehlicious
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM

I guess that too :)

Surf The Earth
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I think the A.Rod will win this years French!

Agassi Aces
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
He would only be in the very elite if he can win the Calendar Grand Slam- maybe this year!

joeb_uk
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
It will be the biggest achievement in tennis I think! Apparently at the time of lavers two grandslam's 3/4 of the slams were played on grass? Which isnt really that impressive when you think of it, compared to four different surfaces today! If that was the case now, roger would have won at least 2-3 full grandslams easily!

Jimnik
02-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I think the A.Rod will win this years French!
YEAH :rocker:

No-one can beat the ARod on clay, this year. :crazy:

AlexNYR
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
he is already in the elite, its just a matter of how much he will distance himself in the race for best ever when he is done

lau
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
if he wins - in the elite. But he'll never win this one. I predicted it at the beginning of his career and still it's real. Always some latino will be found to kick him out :angel: Maybe Chucho can do it this year ;).
Really? I think he´ll win it, eventually.
And IMO, he´ll eventually be in the elite, too whether he wins or not the FO (unless something really serious happends).

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
He won't stand anywhere because he won't manage to win the title:)

yomike
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
I prefer not to think about it. It makes my head ache.

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I prefer not to think about it. It makes my head ache.
Why ? You wouldn't enjoy it ?

gomarray
02-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Only Nadal can stop him on clay if he plays well, and who knows if Rafa can repeat last years clay court season. He could become just another Spaniard who had one great year. Chances of Roger winning at RG are pretty good, and I think he already deserves to be in the elite. If he wins the French, then he surpasses Borg and Sampras in that he will have won all four slams. And it's only a matter of time before he will beat Sampras's total, remember, he could have 15 by the Australian Open 2008 at the age of 26.

Doris Loeffel
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Mdhubert' prediction is more likely, though, but I prefer to think about that only on 4 th June 2006.

Well I for my part would prefere to hear that (or any kind of victory) speech (hopefully from Roger) on June 11 ;)

Puschkin
02-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Well I for my part would prefere to hear that (or any kind of victory) speech (hopefully from Roger) on June 11 ;)

:haha: The old mistake, what an idiot I am. But better to have tickets for the 4th than none at all.

bokehlicious
02-21-2006, 01:20 PM

That would actually piss off half of the MTF members (the fed haters and those bored by dominance) :shrug:

yomike
02-21-2006, 01:22 PM

I think thats a given. Unfortunately I don't like Federer

RogiFan88
02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
...on the Arc de Triomphe??

R.Federer
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
He will stand among the Biggest Weepers in history! I like to see Roge emotion, but I think this would drive him to the point of weeping buckets of tears of relief and happyness

keep_er_lit!
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
IF he wins RG, I would put him in the elite group.

Although come to think of it, he would have just won the same number of GS's as Agassi.

stebs
02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
He would be in the second tier group if he won RG and never accomplished anything else but I think by winning RG he would give himself a huge oppurtunity to end up as the greatest player ever. If he wins RG he will have 8 slams and a career slam with lots of time to add to it.

TennisGrandSlam
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I think (retired players)

Laver, Borg, Sampras and Connors are in the toppest Group

Lendl, Emerson, Agassi, Rosewall, McEnroe are in second tier group

Pea
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Well, how can one not in the midst of tears?

Devotee
02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
IMO, Agassi is also in the top-tier of players.

PaulieM
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
i assume he'd be standing on philippe chatrier.

RonE
02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
i assume he'd be standing on philippe chatrier.

AFAIK Phillippe Chatrier is now in the next world. So would that mean Roger would be standing six feet underground on his casket? :tape:

DrJules
02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
It will be the biggest achievement in tennis I think! Apparently at the time of lavers two grandslam's 3/4 of the slams were played on grass? Which isnt really that impressive when you think of it, compared to four different surfaces today! If that was the case now, roger would have won at least 2-3 full grandslams easily!

Yes, but the French Open obstacle which Sampras never overcame and Federer has not overcome was overcome by Laver twice.

DrJules
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I think (retired players)

Laver, Borg, Sampras and Connors are in the toppest Group

Lendl, Emerson, Agassi, Rosewall, McEnroe are in second tier group

Why do you classify Connors in group 1 and Lendl in group 2. Rosewall was impeded by not being able to play in Grand Slams from 1957 to 1967 inclusive owing to the ban on professionals.

NATAS81
02-21-2006, 06:51 PM
You could make a case that Federer would be a group of his own higher than Sampras as Pete never won RG.

AgassiDomination
02-21-2006, 06:59 PM
If he wins RG doesn't that just make him on the same teir as Agassi? Eight slams each, including Career Slam.

mangoes
02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I'd be so very happy if Roger won the Roger slam or all the slams in 06(although I think that is the more impossible feat)

Should Roger win all the slams in 06, he will be in a tier above Sampras.......... I also think that Agassi should be in the top tier of players.

landoud
02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
in the first group

TheMightyFed
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
If he wins RG doesn't that just make him on the same teir as Agassi? Eight slams each, including Career Slam.
yeah BUT: holding all 4 different GS titles at the same time and having one RG + 3 Wimby is above Agassi....

TommyM
02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, I really cheer for him to make it but unless some of the top claycourters are injured I believe he has very little chance of pulling this off. He is just a very good player on claycourt - not an outstanding one as on other surfaces.

PaulieM
02-21-2006, 09:56 PM
AFAIK Phillippe Chatrier is now in the next world. So would that mean Roger would be standing six feet underground on his casket? :tape:
the poor guy gets walked all over year after year. :sad: