Will Blake ever make the break through?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Blake ever make the break through??

skel1983
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I love James Blake, but i have my doubts of him breaking even the top 15 this year, after last years Us Open, i thought he has the capabilites of a top ten player next year, but i have now come to the conclusion he won't.

My reasoning is that he seems to play in streaks when he is hot he is hot and can hit ball with anyone, but when he is cold he is even colder and just looks novicey, i don't think he has the tactical awareness to win games where he is nowhere near his best, why i bring this up is because i just wathced his match v Robredo at the Oz Open and he looked clueless?? when plan A goes missing he has no other game he just keeps doing the same things over and over again, without puttign any real thought into it, he will have hot streaks because he hit's the ball so hard so when he is finding his range you can't do much about it as Nadal found out last year, but he needs to very his game alot more and needs to find ways of winning without playing anywhere near his best.

What do you guys think??

belco
02-20-2006, 02:24 PM
highly doubt it

mishar
02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
The only thing I'd say about James is that he was a terrible junior, an okay college player, when he was 20, no one expected him to make a big impact as a pro, I say this because I followed his career closely then.
So I always look at it this way. He's really been an over-achiever, he's done much more than anyone ever predicted for him, to win 4 titles and reach top 20.
Having said that, I think he really started to produce his best tennis ever in late 2005, his return of serve had improved a lot, and his backhand. He always had his movement and his forehand. Yes, the Robredo loss was bad (I didn't get to see it) but Tommy is a very good player. And I think he'll always have some bad losses like this week.
If he can produce very good results in the next six weeks, he can get quite close to the top 10, but if he has a lot of bad losses, then I think his chances of getting there are slim. He'll never be Federer, you know, but I say, enjoy the good play when it comes.

JustmeUK
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Let's wait till after the IW/Miami hard court events where if he's going to breakthrough to the top 15 this year would be a good place to start the climb. he's never going to go deep into every tournament but if he can go deep at the big hard court events and maybe even win 1 then yes there is a chance.

PaulieM
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
he's far from a model for consistency but i think he can make top 15. everyone has bad losses from time to time, but i think he's actually improved his game quite a bit over the past year or so.

gusman890
02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
i think any pro player would kill to be in the top 20 and james is doing that.

so top 10 is in the air if he plays REALLY well, but since he isnt going have to worry about points until Washington DC in the summer, might as well take advantge of this moment.

skel1983
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
i think any pro player would kill to be in the top 20 and james is doing that.

so top 10 is in the air if he plays REALLY well, but since he isnt going have to worry about points until Washington DC in the summer, might as well take advantge of this moment.

That's exactly my point my friend, he should of won last week and was beaton soundly was he injured because that was out of the blue?? He doesn't seem to be capatilzing at the moment lets hope that changes pretty soon.

TheMightyFed
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
James rocks, he needs to be fired up. He will win USO one day.

Godiva
02-21-2006, 02:13 AM
NO!!!!! His losses against Hewitt at the Aussie Open last year and Agassi at the U.S. Open last year proves that he's a mental midget.

Of course I'll happily and enthusiastically eat crow if I'm proven wrong. :angel:

PaulieM
02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
NO!!!!! His losses against Hewitt at the Aussie Open last year and Agassi at the U.S. Open last year proves that he's a mental midget.

Of course I'll happily and enthusiastically eat crow if I'm proven wrong. :angel:
um even if this were true, it wouldn't be the first time that a "mental midget" made it into the top 15. :shrug:

Godiva
02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
With James' talent he should be top ten. Top fifteen would be a good acheivement for him, but he's too talented to be outside of the top ten. So I guess I consider top ten being a real break trhough for him rather than top fifteen.

PaulieM
02-21-2006, 02:32 AM
With James' talent he should be top ten. Top fifteen would be a good acheivement for him, but he's too talented to be outside of the top ten. So I guess I consider top ten being a real break trhough for him rather than top fifteen.
i see. i said top 15 only because i thought that's what the thread starter mentioned. :shrug:

Godiva
02-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Well its not absolutely clear if he's asking whether WE think James will make top ten or top fifteen, but I'll consider making the top ten to be the real break through. Anyway, as I said previously, I'll happily eat crow if he can break through.

OddJob
02-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Top ten is possible but I highly doubt it. Top 15 is more like it tho. James has improved a lot since his comeback from injuries.

Deboogle!.
02-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Considering he is only 130 points out of the top 15 right now with not much to defend coming up... I don't see how it's highly doubtful that he'll make the top 15 if it's mathematically possible that he could be there as soon as next week or the week after lol.

jackieglover
02-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Considering he is only 130 points out of the top 15 right now with not much to defend coming up... I don't see how it's highly doubtful that he'll make the top 15 if it's mathematically possible that he could be there as soon as next week or the week after lol.

You make too much sense Deb. You know that's not allowed here. :p

Deboogle!.
02-21-2006, 04:08 AM
You make too much sense Deb. You know that's not allowed here. :p:p sorry :o:(

;)

jackieglover
02-21-2006, 04:17 AM
:p sorry :o:(

;)

:topic: but PLEASE read page 14 of the thread "Most disliked player". Absolutely hilarious.

its.like.that
02-21-2006, 04:22 AM
:topic: but PLEASE read page 14 of the thread "Most disliked player". Absolutely hilarious.

Why do people always refer to page numbers as though they have an absolute value? :scratch:

It all depends on how many posts per page your browser is set to.

;)

its.like.that
02-21-2006, 04:27 AM
And to answer the question, Agassi has a better chance of flushing the 'roids out of his system.

Deboogle!.
02-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Well I have 40 posts per page but that's ok jackieglover I'd probably rather not see it anyway ;) :p

binkygirl
02-24-2006, 07:10 AM
The only thing I'd say about James is that he was a terrible junior, an okay college player, when he was 20, no one expected him to make a big impact as a pro, I say this because I followed his career closely then.
So I always look at it this way. He's really been an over-achiever, he's done much more than anyone ever predicted for him, to win 4 titles and reach top 20.
Having said that, I think he really started to produce his best tennis ever in late 2005, his return of serve had improved a lot, and his backhand. He always had his movement and his forehand. Yes, the Robredo loss was bad (I didn't get to see it) but Tommy is a very good player. And I think he'll always have some bad losses like this week.
If he can produce very good results in the next six weeks, he can get quite close to the top 10, but if he has a lot of bad losses, then I think his chances of getting there are slim. He'll never be Federer, you know, but I say, enjoy the good play when it comes.

Agreed. He never thought he'd be a pro player, which is why he chose to attend Harvard. He's the best tennis player to ever come out of the Ivy League, if not the best athlete ever. You rarely ever hear of Ivy League athletes making it as professionals. No one ever predicted the sort of success he's had.

Jordanjames
02-26-2006, 03:37 AM
I thought last year Blake really should of beaten Agassi but I don't think he BELIEVED he could or SHOULD win. Its clear to me that Blake really did CHOKE that match. He had the match on his racket and he let it slip through his fingers very unfortunate. To Blake's credit he did not let that choke discourage him. What really impressed me was that he is now winning events OUTSIDE the United States. He won Stockholm last year..and I was impressed that James won Sydney to start off 2006. However, I was disappointed with his two first round losses. One thing I notice about James is sometimes he just tries to hit the ball harder and harder. He has so much talent..I would like to see him come to the net more. James is an excellent volleyer and doubles player..He needs to use this dimension of slicing his backhand a lot more..I notice he doesn't do this enough..he tries to use topspin on his backhand too much. One of things that makes Federer so great is his awesome slice backhand..the slice backhand can throw a lot of players off..by keeping the ball low...taking the player out of their hitting comfort zone...I also think James needs to improve his second serve..he just spins the ball in...I agree that when I first saw James he played Rafter I think in 2001..he was slightly overweight with baby fat at the time..and I thought he had skill..I was even more impressed with him at the 2001..US OPEN..and then in 2002 he really made a move reaching no.22..yet still not beating the top guys. But in 2005..I think he finally connected the dots and pulled his game together. He needs to right the ship right now...and think more during his matches..the game is not all about power. Look at Roddick he's learning that lesson now. I do think James and Robby Ginepri are very talented..but I also think they need more discipline...

Allez
02-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Blake is too old to ever have a breakthrough now.

binkygirl
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Not too old. Just doesn't believe in himself enough to be consistently good. Hence, the first round losses and the big choke against Agassi. He just couldn't believe that he could beat Agassi and play in the finals of the US Open, you could see it in his eyes. So he folded.

Jordanjames
02-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Blake already is in the top 20 he must be doing something right. Because the way how Roddick looks right now..if he doesn't produce this summer Roddick will be slipping down the rankings big time. American men's tennis needs Blake and Ginepri to become more consistent. I liked what they did last summer when they both stepped out of Roddick's shadow in the summer winning titles and doing well at the US OPEN. But I still sense some doubt in their minds. They both lost to Agassi..and I really think they should of both beaten the old guy...

He's only 26..I think its the right time..but I also believe the American media have hyped him to the max. The Australian Open loss to Robredo was very in my opinion an upset. Although Robredo was ranked slightly higher that was Blake's match to win. He had a 2-0 edge which is now 2-1. And Blake had just won Sydney. The thing about James is sometimes he can be very hot and sometimes like right now he is very very cold. I just would like to see him pull back a bit..try to come to net a lot more..and try to use his volleying skills.

R.Federer
02-26-2006, 11:28 PM
James, time to make the "blake-through", Allez!

goodwoman
02-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Blake already is in the top 20 he must be doing something right. Because the way how Roddick looks right now..if he doesn't produce this summer Roddick will be slipping down the rankings big time. American men's tennis needs Blake and Ginepri to become more consistent. I liked what they did last summer when they both stepped out of Roddick's shadow in the summer winning titles and doing well at the US OPEN. But I still sense some doubt in their minds. They both lost to Agassi..and I really think they should of both beaten the old guy...

He's only 26..I think its the right time..but I also believe the American media have hyped him to the max. The Australian Open loss to Robredo was very in my opinion an upset. Although Robredo was ranked slightly higher that was Blake's match to win. He had a 2-0 edge which is now 2-1. And Blake had just won Sydney. The thing about James is sometimes he can be very hot and sometimes like right now he is very very cold. I just would like to see him pull back a bit..try to come to net a lot more..and try to use his volleying skills.

I agree. He has the skills; I think he lacks the confidence to use some of them, especially those that deviate from his normal game. He's so close to getting there. I think it's all about confidence. He's an amazing athlete who has been able to change his mental attitude; now he has to take it another step further and totally BELIEVE he can do it.

Horatio Caine
02-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Well his last chance to win big points in, realistically, a while comes up in the next month...he won't do much on clay...probably not on grass either...then he has to defend a fair few points :shrug:

name_change
02-27-2006, 04:49 AM
inconsistent, but extremely phine.

helen phillips
02-27-2006, 05:14 AM
I like him but I think their is a belief in a top player that begins early and can not be taught. I don't see this quality in James. However good but not great players can and have won Slams. I don't see James breaking through but he is and can continue to have a terrific career.

Grinder
03-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I can't see James ever cracking the top 15, US Open run was fluke.

gusman890
03-06-2006, 01:18 AM
yeahhhh i know...WHERE IS HIS BREAKTHROUGH???..im gonna go pray now

Deboogle!.
03-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Considering he is only 130 points out of the top 15 right now with not much to defend coming up... I don't see how it's highly doubtful that he'll make the top 15 if it's mathematically possible that he could be there as soon as next week or the week after lol.:smoke: :smoke:

cobalt60
03-06-2006, 01:34 AM
:lol:

oconnor08
03-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Go James way to go

Godiva
03-06-2006, 01:48 AM
:lol: Egg on our faces.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2006, 01:50 AM
yum :D

http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/egg%20on%20face.jpg

mishar
03-06-2006, 02:15 AM
from today's article: the #4 player at Harvard!

"I never dreamed I'd be at this level," Blake said. "For a kid that played for an hour a day in high school, my goal going into college was to play No. 4 on my college tennis team (at Harvard).

"I feel like I've reached pretty far and I've done the best I could to get this far. If I get further, I'm going to think someone is going to wake me up sometime. It really is amazing that I've got this far. It's something I never pictured. Hopefully, I'll keep winning and wondering where the next level is. But it's fun, and I hope I keep going to the next level."

jackieglover
03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Bump :p

Godiva
03-17-2006, 09:22 PM
How many points away from the top ten is he?

Deboogle!.
03-17-2006, 09:24 PM
None.

He'll be in the top 10 on Monday. :)

MisterQ
03-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Congrats James, you are now a Top Ten player! :cool: :clap2:

federated
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
I think with this win he's in the top 10

Godiva
03-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeeeaaahhh Baby.

zimzim
03-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Congrats James :bigclap:

sigmagirl91
03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Congratulations, James. This is your breakthrough!!!

NYCtennisfan
03-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Considering where he was 1.5 years ago, this is one hell of an accomplishment. He doesn't have anything to really defend until the summer so he should be sticking around. Congrats James. RESPECT.

03-17-2006, 10:18 PM
:bowdown: I think James has already broken through :bowdown:

MissMoJo
03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
:woohoo:

idolwatcher1
03-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Here's a hug for the people who write certain players off, like Blake, thinking they won't have a chance for greater success because of what's occurred in their past... :hug:

Way to go James!! :worship:

Lleytonisthebest
03-18-2006, 10:04 AM
bravo james!!

mishar
11-19-2006, 01:00 AM
bump

cobalt60
11-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Great timing ;)

Jaffas85
11-19-2006, 04:20 AM
How about more of a Grand Slam breakthrough?

Could reaching the final of the TMC give him the belief to go deep within the upcoming Australian Open where he is only defending 3rd round points?

The surface of the Australian Open is meant to be a bit faster and more consistent in January so perhaps it would give Blake a great chance of perhaps even reaching the semi finals of a Grand Slam for the first time.

Halba
11-19-2006, 04:31 AM
quite possible. the field apart from the 'masters' is getting quite weak. you don;t win 5 titles in 2006 if u are an inconsistent player..u have to beat all sorts of players...and be fit..and blake is super fit...could even be a model. well done blake for a terrific season!!

mrserenawilliams
11-19-2006, 07:01 AM

Hope you're hungry ;) :cool:

I love James Blake, but i have my doubts of him breaking even the top 15 this year, after last years Us Open, i thought he has the capabilites of a top ten player next year, but i have now come to the conclusion he won't.
Yeah, I can't see James ever cracking the top 15, US Open run was fluke.
highly doubt it
Top ten is possible but I highly doubt it.

What about Year-End #4 ;) :cool:

How about more of a Grand Slam breakthrough?

Could reaching the final of the TMC give him the belief to go deep within the upcoming Australian Open where he is only defending 3rd round points?

The surface of the Australian Open is meant to be a bit faster and more consistent in January so perhaps it would give Blake a great chance of perhaps even reaching the semi finals of a Grand Slam for the first time.

That's what I'm waiting, hopefully it'll come in Jan. I can't believe he'll be a top 4 seed. He won't get Fed until at least the semis :bounce: