Serious question about British players world ranking [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Serious question about British players world ranking

Xmanfan
02-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know when the last time was that the top 3 British players were all in the world's top 50? If you do please let me know - many thanks.

Jenrios
02-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know when the last time was that the top 3 British players were all in the world's top 50? If you do please let me know - many thanks.

hmmm - no idea - but it's great, eh?:) probably right back to the early 1900s I would think.

JustmeUK
02-20-2006, 12:10 PM
had a feeling it would be the mid 70s and I looked it up.. 1977. you (english) had Buster Mottram (20) Mark Cox (26) John Lloyd (33)

Xmanfan
02-20-2006, 12:56 PM
thanks so much - and thanks for taking the time to look it up. really appreciate it! cheers.

Jimnik
02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
For a country that's crap at tennis, we're not doing too badly.
No. of players in the top 50:

Spain 7
France 7
Argentina 5
USA 5
Russia 4
Great Britain 3
Italy 2
Germany 2
Belgium 2
Czech Rep. 2
Croatia 2
Slovak Rep. 1
Australia 1
Sweden 1

6th best tennis nation in the world? Who would have thought we'd have more top 50 players than the traditional tennis super-powers: Australia, Sweden and Germany. We also have more than the 2 Davis Cup finalists.

The question is, how long will this last? Tim and Greg, please stick around for a bit longer.

JustmeUK
02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
nah nah.. u have it all wrong :p. england is currently tied as the joint 6th best tennis nation but that's not going to last long. Greg and Tim are on their last legs. Within a few years you (england) won't have anyone in the top 100 whereas we (scotland) will not only have Andy leading the charge to top 10 glory but he'll closely be followed by Jamie Baker and Alan Mackin in the top 100 :devil:

gusman890
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
haha wow, its been 29 years, but hey, glad to see great briten doing better. at least USA has some ppl, but our master-duck is starting to loose his touch.

just watch, Macs gonna get a wild card into the US open and win the whole thing by beating federer in 5 sets and have a MUCH bigger crowed cheering for him then andre and blake combinde.
^ a guy can dream ^_^

Jimnik
02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
nah nah.. u have it all wrong :p. england is currently tied as the joint 6th best tennis nation but that's not going to last long. Greg and Tim are on their last legs. Within a few years you (england) won't have anyone in the top 100 whereas we (scotland) will not only have Andy leading the charge to top 10 glory but he'll closely be followed by Jamie Baker and Alan Mackin in the top 100 :devil:
England? What's this England you speak of? There's no country called England :confused:

JustmeUK
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
so true :) we can only dream :)

gusman890
02-20-2006, 04:10 PM
haha

WHAT IF :

there was a secret training school that all the top ENGLISH players were training at, that were kept away from the press so there wouldnt be any pressure on them to win wimbledon. and in like 3 years they show up and start beating everyone on grass.

i dunno, i'm not british, i want my americans to do well, and not with a name like "Donald Young".

Xmanfan
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
had a feeling it would be the mid 70s and I looked it up.. 1977. you (english) had Buster Mottram (20) Mark Cox (26) John Lloyd (33)

Can you tell me exactly where you found this information as I can't find it anywhere? thanks.

NyGeL
02-20-2006, 06:36 PM

Crap at tennis? you are the creators... just compare UK tennis activity with Argentina for example, you have a GS, IS, some challengers...

JustmeUK
02-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Can you tell me exactly where you found this information as I can't find it anywhere? thanks.
http://www.stevegtennis.com/

DrJules
02-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Spain 7
France 7
Argentina 5
USA 5
Russia 4
Great Britain 3
Italy 2
Germany 2
Belgium 2
Czech Rep. 2
Croatia 2
Slovak Rep. 1
Australia 1
Sweden 1

6th best tennis nation in the world? Who would have thought we'd have more top 50 players than the traditional tennis super-powers: Australia, Sweden and Germany. We also have more than the 2 Davis Cup finalists.

The question is, how long will this last? Tim and Greg, please stick around for a bit longer.

Switzerland are not on the list, but I would rather be in their position. You are using quantity rather than quality. Reality is that since and including 2000 a Swiss player has won 7 grand slams while players from Spain, Argentina and France, the top three countries on your list, have between them only won 4 grand slams. USA on their own have won 6. Spain, Argentina and France are not converting their domination into a sizeable number of grand slam wins.

Rogiman
02-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Australia 1
Sweden 1

Oh dear, one day you're writing history, the other one - you're writen off...