River Oaks International -- April 3-9, 2006 at Houston on red clay [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

River Oaks International -- April 3-9, 2006 at Houston on red clay

Devotee
02-20-2006, 06:18 AM
This following is a partial list of players.

Periodically check the official tournament website:
http://www.riveroaksinternational.com (http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/)

Pete Sampras
Jiri Novak
Robby Ginepri
Taylor Dent
Dmitry Tursunov
Jurgen Melzer
Paul Goldstein
Vince Spadea
Luis Horna
Kevin Kim
Bobby Reynolds
Mark Philippoussis
Victor Hanescu
Thomas Enqvist
Julien Benneteau

Devotee
02-20-2006, 06:32 AM
According to their website, Roger Federer played in this tourny in 2000! :eek:

He got to the final & was beaten by Magnus Larsson.

Devotee
03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Guillermo Coria needs to get into this tournament as well as the Houston Clay Courts. If Philippoussis is entered, surely Coria can be accepted if the deadline hasn't passed. He needs the practice!
Unfortunately, Roddick is playing Davis Cup this week. Otherwise, Roddick would be another prime candidate for this tournament.

Devotee
03-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Fish is now out of this tournament.

Devotee
03-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Fernando Vicente is now entered.

Devotee
04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Is it for sure that Ginepri will play Sampras?

I still don't see an announcement on the official tournament web site.

Only the Houston Chronicle newspaper says Ginepri is the one.

Devotee
04-03-2006, 06:28 AM
This would be a good tournament for Vinciguerra.
If Donald Young is good enough to get in, then so is Vinciguerra.
I notice alot of Swedes have played it in the past.
They should have pointed Andreas to this event.

*Ljubica*
04-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Juan Mónaco will also play this tournament :) If anyone is going and can take photos I would be very grateful :) Thanks.

flip_fan
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
GO MARK!!!!!

smucav
04-03-2006, 05:27 PM
72nd River Oaks Internatio nal Tennis Tournament
TOURNAMENT DATES: April 3 - 9, 2006
FIELD: 24 Man Singles/12 Team Doubles
PRIZE MONEY: $300,000
1600 River Oaks Blvd.
Houston, Texas 77019
(713) 529-4321
SURFACE: Clay
BALL: Wilson

http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/index.html

2006 Player List
1 Robby Ginepri USA
2 Victor Hanescu ROM
3 Luis Horna PER
4 Paul Goldstein USA
5 Juan Monaco ARG
6 Jurgen Melzer AUT
7 Rainer Schuettler GER
8 Vince Spadea USA
Julien Benneteau FRA
Albert Montanes ESP
Juan Antonio Marin CRC
Stefan Koubek AUT
Fernando Vincente ESP
Vasilis Mazarakis GRE
Jeff Morrison USA
Mark Philippoussis AUS
Hugo Armando USA
Thomas Enqvist SWE
Scoville Jenkins USA
Robert Kendrick USA
Donald Young USA
Conor Pollock USA
Roger Gubser USA
(Q) Dusan Vemic SCG

Draw:
http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/draw.htm

OOP:
http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/match_schedule.htm

enqvistfan
04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Good luck Thomas Enqvist :bounce:

Do you know if there's a live scoreboard ?? Thanx :hug:

*Ljubica*
04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Good luck Thomas Enqvist :bounce:

Do you know if there's a live scoreboard ?? Thanx :hug:
I don't think so Val. It's only an exhibition so I doubt it somehow :sad: I can't find one on the website anyway.

enqvistfan
04-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think so Val. It's only an exhibition so I doubt it somehow :sad: I can't find one on the website anyway.

I don't think there's a scoreboard, I can't find one, so I think I'm going to give up. I'll see the results later today or tomorrow. Let's hope a victory :)

Devotee
04-04-2006, 01:59 AM
I phoned the tournament at (713) 874-6333 to get the score result for the Enqvist match.

Unfortunately, Thomas Enqvist lost 0-6, 6-2, 2-6. :sad: :sad:

The only good thing is that now maybe Thomas will try to qualify for the tournament across town, the U.S. Mens Clay Courts, qualifying to begin this
weekend I think.

smucav
04-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Monday, April 3, 2006

F. Vicente defeats R. Gubser 6-1, 6-2
J. Marin defeats C. Pollock 6-3, 6-1
R. Kendrick defeats T. Enqvist 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
D. Young defeats H. Armando 7-6, 6-3

zicofirol
04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Monday, April 3, 2006

D. Young defeats H. Armando 7-6, 6-3
Was Armando playiing on one leg or what? He should kill young. If young can barely win at the future level how does H. Armando lose to him

enqvistfan
04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Sad for Enqvist and Armando :hug:
Good luck for the doubles :bounce:

Eléa
04-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Hugo :sad:

smucav
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3769140.htmlApril 4, 2006, 1:37AM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Young battles for win in first round
Armando's errors help 16-year-old with career boost
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

It didn't matter where it happened, how it happened or against whom it happened, but Donald Young Jr. needed a win. And at River Oaks on Monday night, he got one.

The man Young beat, Hugo Armando, will tell you that he gave the match away. Armando spent most of the evening muttering under his breath or braying at the tennis gods, saying at one point, "I can't believe I'm playing like this."

Young's game was scattered as well. But in the end, he shrugged off a maddening series of missed opportunities and finally put Armando out of his misery 7-6 (5), 6-3, advancing to a second-round encounter with another veteran American hoofer, Vince Spadea.

"I consider this my first ATP win, because it pays like an ATP tournament," Young, 16, said with a smile, contemplating no worse than a $7,000 payday.

To date, he's officially 0-9 in ATP tournaments.

River Oaks is an independent event.

When Young won the 2005 Australian Open, he was 15 and suddenly the youngest champion of a junior Grand Slam. It turned him into a hot commodity in the U.S. He would play in five American ATP events before the first of May, including the U.S. Clay Courts at Westside Tennis Club.

Later, he received a free pass into the draw at Indianapolis, then earned a berth in the U.S. Open by taking the boys 18s nationals.

He would finish the year at the top of the junior rankings, but success remains elusive at the major-league level. He has yet to even win a set in an ATP match. Only in the lower-rung Futures events has he been able to hold his own, reaching a semifinal and two quarterfinals.

He made it to the quarters in Brownsville and Harlingen in late February and early March, but those results didn't help him for the Master Series stops in Indian Wells, Calif., and Miami. Tim Henman beat him 6-1, 6-3 at the former. At the latter, he bottomed out completely, losing to 78th-ranked Carlos Berlocq of Argentina 6-0, 6-0.

Young arrived at River Oaks having lost 19 of his previous 20 games. And Armando, ranked 179th, wasn't necessarily a safe draw despite his travails of late at the Challenger level. The 27-year-old Floridian knows his way around a clay court well enough to have reached the rained-out 2004 River Oaks final.

"I hit my shots and put him in places he didn't want to be in," Young said. "And I tried not to get too upset (at his own mistakes)."

Serving for the first set at 40-15, Young misfired twice and wound up letting Armando force the tiebreaker. There, he let another set point slip away with an error but finally claimed the set on a running backhand pass. In the second set, Young almost let a 4-1 lead escape, but Armando's errors gave him a sufficient cushion to survive.

In other matches, Robert Kendrick of the U.S. belted 11 aces to knock out the veteran Swede, Thomas Enqvist, 6-0, 2-6, 6-2; Spaniard Fernando Vicente eliminated American Robert Gubser 6-1, 6-2, and Juan Antonio Marin of Costa Rica beat Texas A&M freshman Conor Pollock 6-3, 6-1.

The $300,000 tournament's round of 16 will be set today with the final four first-round matches. The top eight seeds all received byes.

dale.robertson@chron.com

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com
Section: Tennis

04-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks smucav for the information you have been posting on this Exhibition ;)

Fee
04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Is it for sure that Ginepri will play Sampras?

I still don't see an announcement on the official tournament web site.

Only the Houston Chronicle newspaper says Ginepri is the one.

I called the tournament last Friday and I was told that Ginepri was 'most likely' the one who would play Pete. That could still change by Thursday, based on Robby's results here, but it won't be Donald Young as the internet myth machine had been saying for so long (it was never going to be DY, from what I understand).

If Robby doesn't play, it would be interesting to see Enqvist take that spot. Get another match in before Houston qualies start on Saturday.

smucav
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Is it for sure that Ginepri will play Sampras?Per the USTA, yes:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3297988&postcount=60

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3302982&postcount=67

angiel
04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Per the USTA, yes:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3297988&postcount=60

Cant wait until thursday, thank God to see Pete Sampras play again. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :angel:

smucav
04-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Men’s Singles:
V. Mazarakis defeats J. Morrison 6-3, 6-3
S. Koubek defeats A. Montanes 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
S. Jenkins defeats M. Philippoussis 6-1, 6-3
Dusan Vemic defeats Julien Benneteau 6-2, 6-1

Doubles:
Armando/Enqvist defeats Marin/Vicente 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Horna/Monaco defeats Ginepri/Montana 7-5, 6-3
Hanescu/Mazarakis defeats Goldstein/Morrison 6-2, 6-1

Devotee
04-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Tuesday, April 4, 2006

S. Jenkins defeats M. Philippoussis
Dusan Vemic defeats Julien Benneteau* 6-2,6-1

*Website states that Vemic won, but doesn't list the opponent. Benneteau was the scheduled opponent.

Yeah, that's sort of weird & they don't say the Mark P. score.

flip_fan
04-05-2006, 05:16 AM
can someone in the US ring and find out? please

*Ljubica*
04-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Well done Juan and Lucho :) Wonder what happened to Beneatteau - but guess Vemic may be an easer opponent for Juan in the next round :)

smucav
04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3771972.html
April 5, 2006, 12:33AM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Ginepri keeping up the fight
U.S. Open run raised expectations before current lull
By DALE ROBERTSON

Robby Ginepri finally revealed his full potential last summer, when he won a big tournament in Indianapolis and reached the semifinals of that much bigger one in New York.

Then, rather than rest on his U.S. Open laurels, which he admittedly feared might happen, Ginepri kept grinding through the fall. More successes followed, including a trip to the semis at the Masters Series Madrid event. He left no reason to doubt the trend would carry over into 2006.

But it hasn't. Why?

"It's tough to say," Ginepri said Tuesday at the River Oaks International, where he'll play his first match today and take on Pete Sampras in an exhibition on Thursday night. "I feel I'm hitting the ball the same. But the mental side is a little off, and that's such a big part of getting to the top.

"I had a couple tough matches and didn't squeak them out, so I got a little discouraged. But I'm still working hard. That's all you can do — put your head down and keep working. These guys are still the same guys I played last year and beat. I need to remember that every time I step out there on the court. I've done this before and I can still do it."

Neither his health nor his fitness is an issue. He has a new trainer, Jamie Gable, and he insists he feels "like I'm 19 again."

Fatigue? Hardly. If anything, he's too rested because he's not playing himself into tournaments, having survived his first match just twice in seven starts.

Time for a tuneup?
Ginepri beat Jurgen Melzer at the Australian Open and Kenneth Carlsen at the Nasdaq-100 Open. Otherwise, he has taken an oh-fer on the year. But you look at his scores, and you see nobody's blowing him out. The matches are littered with tiebreakers, and rarely has he lost to anybody in straight sets.

That's why can insist with a straight face, "I don't think anything's wrong. I've just got to tighten up some screws.

"I'm still (ranked) 21 in the world. If somebody tells you a year ago you're going to reach two Masters Series semifinals and a Grand Slam semifinal, but you're also going to lose (in) five first rounds, you're going to take that. There will always be a week here and week there where things don't go as well as you'd like."

Ginepri's first-round travails are a reminder of the depth of the men's tour. Everybody who has beaten the 23-year-old Georgian was ranked well below him. Of course, he got himself in that pickle by climbing as high as he did.

"You can't underestimate anybody," he said. "Respect all and fear none. It's not getting any easier, that's for sure."

Nor will it with the clay-court season starting, never mind his pending milestone encounter with Sampras in the River Oaks Stadium. He has never played the 14-time Grand Slam champion other than during Davis Cup practice sessions, and Sampras hasn't played anybody in 3 1/2 year, so Ginepri said he has no idea what to expect.

More work welcome
Ginepri rolled his eyes when told that Sampras had pronounced himself "a big underdog" during a conference call earlier in the day.

Ginepri jumped at the chance to participate in Sampras' post-retirement return to the court, even if it meant he must play five days in a row here should he reach the final. That's perfectly OK. As previously noted, he needs the work, more for his brain than for his legs.

"I've always been physically fit," Ginepri said. "Preparing myself mentally has been harder for me. It's a battle I fight every day."

Australian Mark Philippoussis, on the other hand, has long struggled on both fronts. In the early stages of another comeback, the onetime U.S. Open and Wimbledon runner-up was no match for Scoville Jenkins Tuesday. Jenkins, a recent U.S. national junior champion, won 6-1, 6-3 in 59 minutes.

dale.robertson@chron.com

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Tennis

Fee
04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Australian Mark Philippoussis, on the other hand, has long struggled on both fronts. In the early stages of another comeback, the onetime U.S. Open and Wimbledon runner-up was no match for Scoville Jenkins Tuesday. Jenkins, a recent U.S. national junior champion, won 6-1, 6-3 in 59 minutes.

Houston Chronicle

jurgen_tennis
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I cannot find the order of play for today - Wednesday. The site does not have it posted yet. Anyone know it?

enqvistfan
04-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I cannot find the order of play for today - Wednesday. The site does not have it posted yet. Anyone know it?

Here it is :)

Schedule of Play

Daily Schedule

Wednesday, April 5th

Stadium Court

Day Session 1:30 pm

Rainer Schuettler vs. Robert Kendrick

Followed by

Paul Goldstein vs. Fernando Vicente

Evening Session 5:30 pm

Robby Ginipre vs. Vasilis Mazarakis

Followed by

Victor Hanescu vs. Juan Antonio Marin

Grandstand Court

After appropriate rest

Approx. 4:00 pm

Young / Vemic vs Jenkins / Kendrick

Followed by

Melzer / Schuettler vs Armando / Enqvist

enqvistfan
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Cant wait until thursday, thank God to see Pete Sampras play again. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :angel:

Yes, it will be :yeah:

MightyJurgenfan
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Here it is :)

Schedule of Play

Daily Schedule

Wednesday, April 5th

Stadium Court

Day Session 1:30 pm

Rainer Schuettler vs. Robert Kendrick

Followed by

Paul Goldstein vs. Fernando Vicente

Evening Session 5:30 pm

Robby Ginipre vs. Vasilis Mazarakis

Followed by

Victor Hanescu vs. Juan Antonio Marin

Grandstand Court

After appropriate rest

Approx. 4:00 pm

Young / Vemic vs Jenkins / Kendrick

Followed by

Melzer / Schuettler vs Armando / Enqvist

Thank you, I filnally found it when I got home a few minutes ago. I hope they do not wait so long with tomorrows schedule. I am leaving for Houston in the morning and it takes a day and half driving to get there. I hope Jurgen Melzer will still be playing in either the singles or doubles, hopefully both when I arrive.

enqvistfan
04-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Thank you, I filnally found it when I got home a few minutes ago. I hope they do not wait so long with tomorrows schedule. I am leaving for Houston in the morning and it takes a day and half driving to get there. I hope Jurgen Melzer will still be playing in either the singles or doubles, hopefully both when I arrive.

I hope for you, have a nice time in Houston :)

04-05-2006, 08:46 PM
It is very nice of you to do this posting about River Oaks for everyone :worship: That way everyone doesn't have to go and find the information for themselves. So thank you very much ;)

jurgen_tennis
04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
I hope for you, have a nice time in Houston :)

That is so nice of you to wish me a good time. I understand it is very hot there. I was lucky and went to Miami and the temperatures during the first week while i was there were nice. I did get the start of a good tan but hope not to burn in Houston.

Good luck to all our favorites.

NyGeL
04-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Schuettler d. Kendrick 6/2 2/6 6/3
Vicente d. Goldstein 6/3 3/6 7/6

Jenkins/Kendrick d. Young/Vemic 4/6 6/4 7/6 (will Young say it was Vemic fault?)

jurgen_tennis
04-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Schuettler d. Kendrick 6/2 2/6 6/3
Vicente d. Goldstein 6/3 3/6 7/6

Jenkins/Kendrick d. Young/Vemic 4/6 6/4 7/6 (will Young say it was Vemic fault?)

I wonder when they will post the rest of the matches. Hopefully before tomorrow or I will leave without knowing if Jurgen and Schuttler won in doubles.

04-06-2006, 04:57 AM
The official site still doesn't have all the results posted :(

jurgen_tennis
04-06-2006, 05:40 AM
The official site still doesn't have all the results posted :(

It is do frustrating. I will check one last time in the morning before we leave at 8 a.m. I think the results will not be posted until later than that and I will have to wait until we arrive on Friday to find out.

04-06-2006, 05:51 AM
It is do frustrating. I will check one last time in the morning before we leave at 8 a.m. I think the results will not be posted until later than that and I will have to wait until we arrive on Friday to find out.
They should have those results posted by now :( Some official site :rolleyes:

*Ljubica*
04-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Have fun in Houston :) Please give Juan Mónaco a cheer from me!

jurgen_tennis
04-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Have fun in Houston :) Please give Juan Mónaco a cheer from me!

I will try and do that. He is a favorite of a friend of mine.

*Ljubica*
04-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I will try and do that. He is a favorite of a friend of mine.
Pleased to hear it :) And if you get a chance to take any pics - we would love to see them over in his Forum. Have lots of fun there :wavey:

tim
04-06-2006, 03:30 PM
If somebody know the results,from hanescu versus marin please posted?

tim
04-06-2006, 03:34 PM
This shit, http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/results.htm dont say nothing!!!

smucav
04-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Singles-Second Round
R. Schuettler defeats R. Kendrick 6-2,2-6,6-3
F. Vicente defeats P. Goldstein 6-3,3-6,7-6
V. Hanescu defeats J. Marin 6-4, 6-3
Vasilis Mazarakis defeats Robby Ginepri 6-2, 6-1

Doubles-Quarterfinals
Jenkins/Kendrick defeats Young/Vemic 4-6,6-4,7-6
Armando/Enqvist defeat Melzer/Schuettler 6-3, 7-6

smucav
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3774724.html
April 6, 2006, 12:09AM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Mazarakis makes short work of error-prone Ginepri
Greek ousts tourney's top seed in only 52 minutes
By DALE ROBERTSON

Nobody would ever mistake Vasilis Mazarakis for Pete Sampras, their shared Greek heritage notwithstanding. The 26-year-old Mazarakis may be Greece's best player, but he never has cracked the top 100, and this year he has made it into the draw of only two ATP events, losing badly in the first round both times.

But at River Oaks Country Club on Wednesday, Mazarakis looked like he should be taking on Sampras before a sellout crowd of 3,100 tonight. Mazarakis pounded the badly erring Robby Ginepri 6-2, 6-1 in 52 minutes to advance to the quarterfinals of the River Oaks International.

It was arguably the biggest victory of his career, given that Ginepri is No. 21 in the rankings, had been a U.S. Open semifinalist last fall and was the top seed in this non-ATP tournament. Ginepri now must find a way to regroup for his exhibition against the 14-time Grand Slam champion Sampras, who will be playing his first competitive match in 3 1/2 years.

"Robby did not have a good day for sure," Mazarakis said, "but I played very well. When it looked like he was going to come back in the second set, I made my shots and didn't let him. Then, at the end, it didn't look like he thought he could win."

Two Ginepri double faults ended the match and, on the final point, he didn't even try to put the second serve in play, blasting it long. He already had pronounced his effort "embarrassing" in the previous game after a flyaway backhand return. Ginepri, who is just 2-7 in ATP matches in 2006, wound up dropping the last 12 points.

And he had come to Houston hoping to jump-start his clay-court season. In addition to playing Sampras, he gets an official Houston do-over in the U.S. Clay Courts Championships at Westside next week.

Fellow American Paul Goldstein, the fourth seed, ultimately played a little better than Ginepri but not well enough to get past Spaniard Fernando Vicente, losing 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (2). Goldstein had trailed 3-0 in the second set before rallying, only to lose his way in the tiebreaker.

dale.robertson@chron.com

enqvistfan
04-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Congrats Enqvist/Armando :yeah:

ovechkin888
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
can somebody tell me something about D.Young? Who is this guy? :confused: THX

TwistyServe
04-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Results of Spadea vs YOung?

Ays25
04-07-2006, 01:58 AM
6-4 7-5 young

TwistyServe
04-07-2006, 02:00 AM
6-4 7-5 young

WHere you get the results from?

Ays25
04-07-2006, 02:03 AM
i was kidding mate
:)
got some money on vince too

TwistyServe
04-07-2006, 02:05 AM
i was kidding mate
:)
got some money on vince too

I'd be very surprised if spadea loses.. Id never back that clown again

ovechkin888
04-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Spadea won 6-1 6-3

from http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=93740&page=2

Devotee
04-07-2006, 06:59 AM
http://www.HoustonChronicle.com (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/)

April 7, 2006, 12:47AM

RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL

Everyone goes home pleased but Sampras

Tennis legend sought good result, not exhibition loss

By DALE ROBERTSON

Pete Sampras tried to sneak around the back way, hitting partner Hugo Armando in tow, to get in a short warmup on a far back court before his first competitive tennis match since he won the 2002 U.S. Open.

But word spread quickly on the River Oaks grounds. Soon, nearly 100 curious fans lined the court, snapping pictures or paying quiet homage to one of the greatest tennis players.

Errant backhands

Those who paid attention to Sampras' gentle practice strokes, though, probably noticed something startling. The 14-time Grand Slam champion couldn't put a backhand in play. Topspin or slice, they sailed long. Some way long.

"I'm using the bigger racket now — more power but less control," Sampras said later, after he lost to Robby Ginepri 6-3, 7-6 (10) in an entertaining exhibition Thursday night that lasted nearly two hours and marked his return to the competitive arena after a 3 1/2 -year hiatus.

"I felt OK out there, pretty good but definitely not great," he said. "The thing is, I don't care if I'm 34 and haven't played in awhile, you want to play well and put on a good show for the fans."

Which he did before a lively, appreciative sellout crowd. Sampras did plenty to remind people how good he used to be but not enough to satisfy himself. The competitor in him expected a win, never mind that in Ginepri, 11 years his junior, he was playing the No. 1 seed in the River Oaks International. Or at least Ginepri was before Vasilis Mazarakis upset him.

"I was a little shaky at the start and a little winded at the end," Sampras said. "Actually playing, with people watching, is a lot different from practicing."

Quarterfinals set

Overshadowed by Sampras' return were River Oaks' main-draw matches, which set up today's quarterfinals. Four seeds advanced in straight sets.

The third-seeded Peruvian, Luis Horna, who won his first ATP title last month in Acapulco, survived a hard-fought first first set to defeat former U.S. national junior champion Scoville Jenkins 7-6 (5), 6-3. Fifth seed Juan Monaco of Argentina ended qualifier Dusan Vemic's run 6-4, 6-2.

Sixth-seeded Jurgen Melzer of Austria beat countryman Stefan Koubek 6-3, 6-2. And eighth seed Vince Spadea took out 16-year-old Donald Young Jr. 6-1, 6-3, coming back from a break down in the second set.

smucav
04-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Thursday, April 6, 2006

Second Round Singles:
L. Horna defeats Scoville Jenkins 7-6, 6-3
J. Monaco defeats Dusan Vemic 6-4, 6-2
J. Melzer defeats Stefan Koubek 6-3 6-2
V. Spadea defeats Donald Young 6-1 6-3

Exhibition:
Robby Ginepri defeats Pete Sampras 6-3 7-6 (10)

NyGeL
04-07-2006, 06:15 PM
owned "newbie" Young

04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Thursday, April 6, 2006

Second Round Singles:
L. Horna defeats Scoville Jenkins 7-6, 6-3
J. Monaco defeats Dusan Vemic 6-4, 6-2
J. Melzer defeats Stefan Koubek 6-3 6-2
V. Spadea defeats Donald Young 6-1 6-3

Exhibition:
Robby Ginepri defeats Pete Sampras 6-3 7-6 (10)
Well it is nice to know that Robby can beat someone ;) Even if Pete hadn't played in 3 and 1/2 years :rolleyes:

ce21
04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
score Melzer please..?

Devotee
04-08-2006, 02:03 AM
score Melzer please..?

Vicente beat Melzer 6-2, 6-4

ce21
04-08-2006, 02:07 AM
where do you see the score plesae..?

Devotee
04-08-2006, 02:12 AM
where do you see the score plesae..?

http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/results.htm

Devotee
04-08-2006, 02:13 AM
V. Mazarakis defeats R. Schuettler

6-4, 6-3

V. Hanescu defeats V. Spadea
6-0, 3-0, Ret.

J. Monaco defeats L. Horna
6-4, 3-6, 6-3

Devotee
04-08-2006, 02:20 AM
Enqvist / Armando defeat Jenkins / Kendrick

6-1, 6-4

*Ljubica*
04-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Well done Juan :bounce:

enqvistfan
04-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Enqvist / Armando defeat Jenkins / Kendrick

6-1, 6-4

YES, CONGRATS, So happy for them :banana: :woohoo:

Eléa
04-08-2006, 03:34 PM
:banana: i'm so happy for Tom and Hugo :D :hug:

smucav
04-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Friday, April 7, 2006

Singles quarterfinals:
V. Mazarakis defeats R. Schuettler 6-4, 6-3
F. Vicente defeats J. Melzer 6-2, 6-4
V. Hanescu defeats V. Spadea 6-0, 3-0, Ret.
J. Monaco defeats L. Horna 6-4, 3-6, 6-3

Doubles semifinal:
Thomas Enqvist/Hugo Armando d. Scoville Jenkins/Robert Kendrick 6-4, 6-4

smucav
04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3780355.htmlApril 8, 2006, 2:34AM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Spadea retires with sore elbow
Brilliant serve helps Hanescu get into today's semi
By DALE ROBERTSON

The few unhappy fans in the stadium jumped to their own conclusions, but Vince Spadea said it was a sore elbow that caused him to retire from his quarterfinal match against Victor Hanescu on Friday, not the score.

The second-seeded Hanescu, a slender 6-6 Romanian with a wicked serve, was beating Spadea 6-0, 3-0 when the eighth-seeded American walked off the court.

Because Spadea wasn't noticeably hurt, there was much grumbling afterward. Hanescu, in turn, was given a loud ovation for his nearly flawless performance.

"It's my elbow," Spadea said. "I should have pulled out before the match. It's been hurting since last week, and I didn't want to take any chances."

Spadea, 31, is scheduled to play Carlos Berlocq of Argentina in the first round of the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships next week, but he said his status for Houston's ATP tournament is now up in the air, although he will seek a doctor's opinion before he makes a decision.

Hanescu, working his way back from a muscle pull in his rib cage suffered during the U.S.-Romania Davis Cup tie, headed to the practice court to get some extra preparation for today's semifinal against Spaniard Fernando Vicente. But it seemed unnecessary.

"I liked very much the way I played today," Hanescu said, adding he's recovered from his injury. "I'm serving very well and I'm happy about that."

Vicente beat Austrian Jurgen Melzer 6-2, 6-4.

dale.robertson@chron.com

http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/04/07/1591091/311xInlineGallery.jpg
Vince Spadea hits a return to Victor Hanescu of Romania at the River Oaks International Tennis Tournament Friday. Spadea retired with a sore elbow.
JAMES NIELSEN: FOR THE CHRONICLE

Devotee
04-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Saturday, April 8, 2006

J. Monaco defeats V. Mazarakis
7-6, 6-7, 6-3

V. Hanescu defeats F. Vicente
6-4, 6-0

Devotee
04-09-2006, 08:09 AM
http://www.HoustonChronicle.com (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/) | Section: Tennis (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/content/chronicle/sports/tennis/index.html)

April 9, 2006, 1:56AM

RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL

Monaco wins in marathon match

Hanescu awaits in final following grueling semifinal

By DALE ROBERTSON

Victor Hanescu of Romania got a very late start at River Oaks Saturday and also started slowly against Fernando Vicente, but it didn't take long for him to make up for lost time.

And Hanescu had it easy compared with his opponent today in the 72nd River Oaks International final, Juan Monaco. Hanescu, the tournament's second seed, took out the Spaniard Vicente 6-4, 6-0 in just 75 minutes by winning the final eight games after Monaco needed 3 hours, 14 minutes to struggle past Vasilis Mazarakis 7-6 (5), 6-7 (8), 6-3 in the first semifinal.

It's possible that the grueling Monaco-Mazarakis match — an often-brilliant clay-court battle — was among the longest played at River Oaks, a tournament that dates to 1931, but no official confirmation was possible.

The first two sets lasted more than 2 1/2 hours, and Monaco's day was only beginning. Despite being treated for cramps, he returned to the court and won the doubles title with Luis Horna, but it required another struggle. They beat Thomas Enqvist and Hugo Armando 7-5, 3-6, 10-7.

Good thing the Argentine is barely 22.

"I think I'm a little bit fresher than him," said the 24-year-old Hanescu, who needed only nine games to get past Vince Spadea in the quarters. Spadea quit with what he said was an elbow injury down 6-0, 3-0. Hanescu, a 6-6 player ranked 47th in the world, is also playing his first tournament since suffering a severely pulled rib-cage muscle at the Romania-U.S. Davis Cup tie in February.

Running out of steam

For Mazarakis, his loss to Monaco had a Russian novel for a script with an ending you'd call a Greek tragedy — if not for the fact he left River Oaks with $18,000, a huge payday for a guy who has spent most of his career beating his brains out on the Challenger circuit.

"I'm pretty exhausted at the moment," Mazarakis said. "But I gave everything I had."

At 26, Greece's No. 1 player has participated in just 17 ATP matches in seven years as a pro and his reaching the River Oaks semifinals cost him a chance to try to qualify for this week's the ATP-sanctioned U.S. Clay Court Championships at Westside Tennis Club. But with the first-round losers across town guaranteed only $3,850, he made a wise decision to give his all at River Oaks.

Argentine resilient

Mazarakis, ranked No. 128, had battered top-seeded Robby Ginepri 6-2, 6-1 in the second round, arguably his best showing as a pro considering Ginepri is 107 spots above him on the ATP computer. Playing aggressively, if not always wisely, the Athens native gave himself plenty of chances against the No. 71 Monaco, too, but the speedy Argentine repeatedly got out of trouble.

First, he fended off two first-set points against him in the 10th game of the first set, then held on to the win the tiebreaker after Mazarakis, falling behind 6-2, saved three set points. The second set featured repeated dramatic momentum swings and ultimately led to yet another tiebreaker, in which Mazarakis saved two match points before leveling the match with a three-point run.

Monaco's service break in the second game of the third set, however, would prove decisive.

"I believe a lot in my conditioning and fitness, so I felt good about the third set," Mazarakis said. "He was just a little better at the end."

*Ljubica*
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks so much for the report. Well done Juan - singles' finalist and already a doubles' title winner :bounce: Way to go Juanito - and good luck in the Final :)

smucav
04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Saturday, April 8:

Singles semifinals
Juan Monaco d. Vasilis Mazarakis 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
Victor Hanescu d. Fernando Vicente 6-4, 6-0

Doubles final
Juan Monaco/Luis Horna d. Thomas Enqvist/Hugo Armando 7-5, 3-6, 10-7

Devotee
04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Saturday, April 8:

Doubles final

How did the 3rd. set end in a 10-7 score? :confused:

enqvistfan
04-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Saturday, April 8:

Doubles final

Thomas & Hugo :hug: :hug:

Fro_Lech
04-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Hanescu-Monaco ? anybody known scores this match ?:)

04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
How did the 3rd. set end in a 10-7 score? :confused:
That is a rule change in Doubles. Now they don't play a full
3rd Set. They have to play at least up to 10 points and the winners have to have a two point lead, I believe. I know they have to at least play up to 10 points, but I'm not sure about the two point lead :confused:

Seeker
04-10-2006, 12:05 AM
V. Hanescu defeats J. Monaco
6-7, 6-4, 7-5

smucav
04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
How did the 3rd. set end in a 10-7 score? :confused:Match tiebreak

smucav
04-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Sunday, April 9, 2006

Final:
V. Hanescu defeats J. Monaco 6-7, 6-4, 7-5

*Ljubica*
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Sad that Juan lost :sad: but well done for a great tournament and for winning the doubles :bigclap:

Minotaur
04-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Well done, Victor. You deserved the title on clay. Though it's only exhibition :-)

smucav
04-10-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3782891.html
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com
April 10, 2006, 1:59AM
RIVER OAKS INTERNATIONAL
Crowd loves marathon man
Hanescu's king at clay tourney, but the fans think Monaco's a prince for hours on court
By DALE ROBERTSON

Next up for Victor Hanescu is a trip to Monte Carlo. He'll find getting there is less tiring than trying to go through Monaco on Sunday.

That's Juan Monaco, the energetic, apparently indefatigable young Argentine who plays tennis like he's getting paid by the hour.

Monaco, 22, who won the 72nd River Oaks International doubles championship with Peru's Luis Horna on Saturday night, didn't win the singles title from Hanescu on Sunday — but he won a stadium full of hearts for the heart he showed in reaching the final.

Call him the Ernie Banks of tennis, except he says, "Let's play three!"

Answering the call
In theory, Monaco should have gone down easily against the more accomplished and far more rested Romanian Hanescu.

But he had shown Saturday that doing things the easy way isn't his forte.

It took Monaco three hours, 14 minutes to fight past Greece's Vasilis Mazarakis in Saturday's semifinals and another two hours, 58 minutes before he let Hanescu off the hook 6-7 (1), 6-4, 7-5 on Sunday.

In between, he spent 80 more minutes in the doubles final, this after needing three sets and two hours Friday night to take out Horna.

At least Monaco isn't being asked to return to the fray tonight against American Mardy Fish, his first-round opponent in the U.S. Clay Court Championships at Westside Tennis Club. But had the ATP scheduled Monaco to play tonight, he insists that would have been perfectly fine with him.

"I feel well," Monaco said. "I sleep good, I do some good stretching with my physical trainer, (I have) some good food to eat and I recover very well.

"Much tennis yes, but tennis is like this. If you want to win, you have to run and you have to fight. Here the matches were so long, but I am a fighter. I like to play three sets. I like so much to stay on the court. I know it's good for me and maybe not so good for the other guy."

Determination in final
The second-seeded Hanescu didn't seem to enjoy the ordeal as much as the young man he beat, but he also grimly stayed the course.

He refused to throw up his arms in frustration despite failing to convert countless opportunities to make the match short.

The two players had never faced off, but Hanescu said knew enough about the Argentine to realized what he was in for.

"I expected a tough match," Hanescu said. "I know he doesn't quit, and he didn't."

No, he doesn't. Monaco fought off seven break points in the first game alone, a sign of the arduous things to come. He also saved three set points against him before forcing the tiebreaker, which he dominated, losing his only point on a double fault.

Then, after letting the second set slip away despite getting up a break on Hanescu early, he broke in the seventh and ninth games of the third set.

Even in the final game, he forced Hanescu to a third championship point before succumbing on a perfectly placed, crosscourt forehand.

Monaco wasn't going to lose the title. Rather, Hanescu, ranked 47th on the ATP computer to his 71st, was going to have to take it.

Payday for No. 2
Monaco heads across town with $35,000 in his pocket and, he said, "some very good experience" to show for his hard week's work at River Oaks.

Monaco is the No. 10 player in his country, and he's ahead of Mariano Puerta and Guillermo Cañas only because they have been suspended for failing drug tests.

Hanescu pocketed $50,000, enough to make the trip to Houston worthwhile.

He said he isn't staying for the Clay Courts because he wanted to return to Bucharest for a day or two.

Then he will go to Monte Carlo early to practice for the year's first Masters Series tournament on clay.

dale.robertson@chron.com

*Ljubica*
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the article. Hope you don't mind I have copied it over to Juan's Forum - we are all very proud of him there :)

christos
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Any pics from this tournament?