Nadal Withdraws From Rotterdam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Withdraws From Rotterdam

*Ljubica*
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Yes - Rafa has also withdrawn from Rotterdam according to Dutch TV, Here is a link. He is said to be "tired"

http://www.rijnmond.nl/Homepage/Regionieuws/Sport?itemid=34350

sharpeirob
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
:haha:

Fucking hilarious.

Poor Rotterdam crowd :tape:

Atleast they still have Fabrice

Straby
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I wonder what my boss says if I don't show up tomorrow because I'm tired...

*Ljubica*
02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I wonder what my boss says if I don't show up tomorrow because I'm tired...
Tell you to go to bed earlier and stop whining like mine would :devil:

NicoFan
02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh poor Rafa...and the poor Rotterdam fans. :sad:

Its okay if he withdraws cuz he's tired. Rafa can do whatever he wants. ;) :lol:

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Wow, the officials at Rotterdam must be so pissed. I guess everyone is gearing up for Dubai. I think it's understandable that Rafa is tired. I don't think he believed he would go so deep into the tournament this week.

Meeek
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Do they get fined if they withdraw this late??
They better :mad:

Silawen
02-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Tired? XD Yeah, I'm tired too, from hanging around tenniscourts watching the interesting guys play. ^^

*Viva Chile*
02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow, Paradorn must be so lucky with this :p

RonE
02-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Damn :(

This means we have to wait at least until Dubai for our next pork dish :awww:

PaulieM
02-19-2006, 05:47 PM
who is still playing this event?

amierin
02-19-2006, 05:56 PM
People forget that Rafa played himself into exhaustion last year. His camp has always said this year would be different in terms of how much he played. It makes sense for him to pull out here, he went pretty deep in Marseille, and prepare for Dubai like everyone else is doing. Whether the tennis PTB want to admit it or not the top players by their actions are creating a two tier event schedule.

tenalyser
02-19-2006, 05:57 PM
"tired" yeah wathever :rolleyes: funny if you think about it, all the players that have withdrawn from the ABN AMRO tournament had early losses in the open13 (except Safin of course). I just watched Stade2 on the french tv channel (france 2)and they had a interview with Nadal during the tournament and he seemed fine he even said he would play in Rotterdam and Dubai to prepare himself for IW and the Nasdaq 100. Injurie? or are they simply afraid of upsets? I think that Nadal is simply disappointed because of his semi-final loss against clement, he probably expected to go with the title butthat didn't work out knowing his relationship with his uncle the decision was taken by both, but this are just speculations and I hope that Nadal will be fully fit to play in Dubai.

kartveteran
02-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Man... one month ago i was going to decide if i'd take 1 or 2 vacation days at work, to be able to visit the ABN-AMRO tournament. I looked at the entry list, looking for big names, attractive players and national top players. I saw this:

Federer
Nadal
Davydenko
Llubicic
Safin
Johansson
Ferrer
Hrbaty
Gasquet
Grosjean
Baghdatis
Monfils
Henman
Srichaphan
Verkerk
Schalken
Sluiter

So, I decided to take 2 vacation days during the tourney week.

Now, one day before the tournament starts let's look which of these players are still in the tournament:

Davydenko
Johansson
Ferrer
Henman
Srichaphan
Sluiter

Out are: Federer, Nadal, Safin, Llubicic, Gasquet, Baghdatis, Grosjean, Hrbaty, Monfils, Verkerk and Schalken

:sobbing:

Meeek
02-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Nadal will be replaced by Arvind Parmar as Top Seed :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:eek: :tape:

RickDaStick
02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I bet there are some pissed off peope in Rotterdam right about now, 3 top 5 players withdrawing :eek:

Castafiore
02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Nadal said before the OPEN 13 that he was fully expecting to not go that far in Marseille and Rotterdam. With 2 to 4 matches in those tournaments, he was hoping to reach a decent enough form in Dubai so that he would be prepared for Indian Wells and Miami (he said that he would be glad to reach a form of about 85% in the Indian Wells Masters tournament).

He's giving a press conference about it together with Krajicek at 21h local time. Hopefully, they will do a report about it on Dutch tv this evening.

RonE
02-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Nadal said before the OPEN 13 that he was fully expecting to not go that far in Marseille and Rotterdam. With 2 to 4 matches in those tournaments, he was hoping to reach a decent enough form in Dubai so that he would be prepared for Indian Wells and Miami (he said that he would be glad to reach a form of about 85% in the Indian Wells Masters tournament).

He's giving a press conference about it together with Krajicek at 21h local time. Hopefully, they will do a report about it on Dutch tv this evening.

Well its a very smart decision by him. He certainly doesn't want to overplay having been out for so long. He will probably fair even better in Dubai.

*julie*
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
At the time of Madrid and Paris MS and all the withdrawals, people said that the year was far too long for tennis players... that they were exhausted...
Now, this is only the beginning of 2006 and the situation has not changed. :rolleyes:
This is worrying.

I feel bad for people in Rotterdam.

federated
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
this tournament is wide open. Seems like the lower ranked players that aren't injured and haven't played so much this year (yes, that means you Feli) should be bending over backwards to play rotterdam and grab those points.

TheBoiledEgg
02-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Nadal will be replaced by Arvind Parmar as Top Seed :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Chris Bailey will enjoy this :tape:

from being the best indoor tourn to being a total joke of an event.
Krajicek would probably win this if he'd been practising for last few week.

mallorn
02-19-2006, 06:17 PM
"tired" yeah wathever :rolleyes: funny if you think about it, all the players that have withdrawn from the ABN AMRO tournament had early losses in the open13 (except Safin of course). I just watched Stade2 on the french tv channel (france 2)and they had a interview with Nadal during the tournament and he seemed fine he even said he would play in Rotterdam and Dubai to prepare himself for IW and the Nasdaq 100. Injurie? or are they simply afraid of upsets? I think that Nadal is simply disappointed because of his semi-final loss against clement, he probably expected to go with the title butthat didn't work out knowing his relationship with his uncle the decision was taken by both, but this are just speculations and I hope that Nadal will be fully fit to play in Dubai.
Afraid of upsets my foot. Here we go again with this bull about him being scared of opponents. :rolleyes:

Of course he must be very disappointed but WTH does it have to do with withdrawing from the next tournament???

I hope you're right, amierin and it is in no way related to any sort of injury. http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/8586/iconnervous1ex.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Merton
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Well its a very smart decision by him. He certainly doesn't want to overplay having been out for so long. He will probably fair even better in Dubai.

You are right, he probably did not expect to go deep into either indoors field but he entered both to get match practice. At this point it makes more sense to play outdoors in Dubai, the conditions are more similar to the Masters Series coming up. It must be hard for the Dutch tennis fans who expected to see him though.

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Rafa scared of opponents? Right, what a load of bs...

This is what Rafa has said:

“I don’t know what other players think when they go out to play him [Federer], but though I think he is the greatest player, I have never allowed myself to think he is unbeatable. This is something I cannot allow. I have never allowed myself to have any tennis idols. Every time I go on court I am determined to give 100%. The more pressure there is from the opponent, the harder I try. When I play a difficult match my ability seems to go up, and there is no greater test than playing Federer. That, I believe, is why I play so well against him.”

Rafa did well making the SFs in Marseille after his long absence. He's tired and he can't push himself and risk further injury. See ya in Dubai, Rafa! ;)

knight_ley
02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
i'm definately tired and gonna withdraw from work tonight ;)

but hey, Rafa will be ready to go for Dubai :angel: :yeah:

PaulieM
02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Man... one month ago i was going to decide if i'd take 1 or 2 vacation days at work, to be able to visit the ABN-AMRO tournament. I looked at the entry list, looking for big names, attractive players and national top players. I saw this:

Federer
Nadal
Davydenko
Llubicic
Safin
Johansson
Ferrer
Hrbaty
Gasquet
Grosjean
Baghdatis
Monfils
Henman
Srichaphan
Verkerk
Schalken
Sluiter

Now, one day before the tournament starts let's look which of these players are still in the tournament:

Davydenko
Johansson
Ferrer
Henman
Srichaphan
Sluiter

Out are: Federer, Nadal, Safin, Llubicic, Gasquet, Baghdatis, Grosjean, Hrbaty, Monfils, Verkerk and Schalken

that sucks. :hug:
*hopes at least now tim can win a few matches* :angel:.... that's probably still a no on that one. :o

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
02-19-2006, 06:37 PM
...and yet it started so well when looking at the entry-list :cool: ... now it's a little bit too much all those withdrawals... :eek: somehow it spoils my pleasure too and I shouldn't say that knowing my fave is playing but it's really no fun for the tournament organizers and all the other fans. I understand their disappointment and I feel sorry :hug:

:angel:
Maths is an attitude
The number FOUR is the only number in the English language
that is spelt with the same number of letters as the number itself

Peoples
02-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Nadal...tired ??? :haha:

Silawen
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, that was the final end of the original big banner XD Poor painters will have to edit out even more names now. Who will they put up now? Well, we'll have Ferrer and Dent, Henman...and, ehm, Parmar? He *is* top seed, after all? *grin*

RogerandMariaFan
02-19-2006, 08:10 PM
I dont think Nadal will have as good a year as last year

Sorry Rafa fans

Agassi Aces
02-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm afraid Rafael is in for a tough time till Monte Carlo arrives. Early exits in Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami beckon I'm afraid ! (losing a lot of points from the TMS Miami!)

mallorn
02-19-2006, 08:29 PM
RogerandMariaFan and Agassi Aces, I refuse to be so pessimistic just yet. ;)

The news is official. Rafa's name's been removed from the draw.

Winston's Human
02-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Last year, the Memphis tournament was derided as being "mickey mouse" compared to Rotterdam.

Are they now equally "mickey mouse" tournaments?

Scotso
02-19-2006, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Last year, the Memphis tournament was derided as being "mickey mouse" compared to Rotterdam.

Are they now equally "mickey mouse" tournaments?
Rotterdam even more so. :lol:

edit

TennisWeek is reporting that Rafa withdrew due to a thigh strain:

Thigh Strain Knocks Nadal Out Of Rotterdam
By Tennis Week
02/20/2006

The 33rd ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament continues to lose top players to injury. World No. 2 Rafael Nadal, the tournament top seed, withdrew from the event today due to a strained thigh he sustained in Saturday's semifinal loss to Arnaud Clement in Marseille.

The reigning Roland Garros champion travelled to Rotterdam to personally inform tournament director Richard Krajicek of his decision.

"The upper part of my leg started to play up (hurt) at the beginning of the third set," Nadal said. "I’d not played for four months because of an ankle injury, so the doctors advised me not to take any chances. I would love to have played here in Rotterdam, all the more so because I’ve not played for a long time. But I have to be completely fit first — if I play, I want to give it all I have."

Earlier this weekend, Krajicek received calls from Sébastien Grosjean, Sjeng Schalken and Marcos Baghdatis, all of whom are unable to play in this year’s tournament. Although Schalken was drawn against Raemon Sluiter in the opening round, he was again felled by a displaced disc. Cypriot Baghdatis, who reached the final of the Australian Open only last month, sustained a groin injury while training in Rotterdam.

"It can’t be helped," Krajicek explained during a specially convened press conference earlier this evening. "We’ve had a string of cancellation, which is a real shame for the crowd. These developments are beyond our control, and it’s very unusual for three top-5 players to withdraw. Baghdatis arrived here feeling fine, but suffered a groin injury while preparing for his first round match. It will still be a good tournament though — there are plenty of guys here who know how to hit a ball."

Roger Federer, Ivan Ljubicic, Marat Safin, Richard Gasquet, Martin Verkerk, Dominik Hrbaty, Gael Monfils and Feliciano Lopez had already withdrawn from the biggest ATP tournament in the Netherlands.

mallorn
02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
According to the people on vr.com, who translated this article (http://www.telesport.nl/abnamrowtt/53212/Nadal_meldt_zich_ook_af_in_Rotterdam.html), Rafa has pain in his upper leg, which he got in Marseille, and the doctors advised him not to take any risks. :sad:

disturb3d
02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes - Rafa has also withdrawn from Rotterdam according to Dutch TV, Here is a link. He is said to be "tired"

http://www.rijnmond.nl/Homepage/Regionieuws/Sport?itemid=34350
Ofcourse he's tired. T'was his first tournament in 12 months without the support of drugs.

Federerthebest
02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
:sad:

Fergie
02-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Tired after 3 matchs? ... Yeah right! :lol:

mallorn
02-19-2006, 10:35 PM
From Tennis Week (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14781&bannerregion=)
Thigh Strain Knocks Nadal Out Of Rotterdam

02/20/2006

The 33rd ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament continues to lose top players to injury. World No. 2 Rafael Nadal, the tournament top seed, withdrew from the event today due to a strained thigh he sustained in Saturday's semifinal loss to Arnaud Clement in Marseille.

The reigning Roland Garros champion travelled to Rotterdam to personally inform tournament director Richard Krajicek of his decision.

"The upper part of my leg started to play up (hurt) at the beginning of the third set," Nadal said. "I’d not played for four months because of an ankle injury, so the doctors advised me not to take any chances. I would love to have played here in Rotterdam, all the more so because I’ve not played for a long time. But I have to be completely fit first — if I play, I want to give it all I have."

Earlier this weekend, Krajicek received calls from Sébastien Grosjean, Sjeng Schalken and Marcos Baghdatis, all of whom are unable to play in this year’s tournament. Although Schalken was drawn against Raemon Sluiter in the opening round, he was again felled by a displaced disc. Cypriot Baghdatis, who reached the final of the Australian Open only last month, sustained a groin injury while training in Rotterdam.

"It can’t be helped," Krajicek explained during a specially convened press conference earlier this evening. "We’ve had a string of cancellation, which is a real shame for the crowd. These developments are beyond our control, and it’s very unusual for three top-5 players to withdraw. Baghdatis arrived here feeling fine, but suffered a groin injury while preparing for his first round match. It will still be a good tournament though — there are plenty of guys here who know how to hit a ball."

Roger Federer, Ivan Ljubicic, Marat Safin, Richard Gasquet, Martin Verkerk, Dominik Hrbaty, Gael Monfils and Feliciano Lopez had already withdrawn from the biggest ATP tournament in the Netherlands.

Federerthebest
02-19-2006, 10:39 PM
:lol: at the people who say that nadal's unorthodox game doesn't cause injury
he's only 19 and look at the problems he's already having
methinks his career will be very short-lived :)

bellascarlett
02-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I feel so bad for Krajicek. I'd be pissed off if I was among those who had gotten tickets to watch the tournament. The amount of withdrawals is just crazy.

silverwhite
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM

:hug:

I feel sorry for the Dutch fans. :mad:

nobama
02-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Wow, the officials at Rotterdam must be so pissed. I guess everyone is gearing up for Dubai. I think it's understandable that Rafa is tired. I don't think he believed he would go so deep into the tournament this week.He only played a couple of matches. How can he be tired? Rusty maybe, but not tired. :shrug:

RogiFan88
02-20-2006, 01:04 AM
I feel so bad for Krajicek. I'd be pissed off if I was among those who had gotten tickets to watch the tournament. The amount of withdrawals is just crazy.

I'm sure this won't be the only tournament w w/drawals...

mangoes
02-20-2006, 01:26 AM
He only played a couple of matches. How can he be tired? Rusty maybe, but not tired. :shrug:

:shrug: It's possible................ But, now they're saying it's a thigh injury...........so who knows :shrug: Whatever it is, I hope Rafa recovers.

NYCtennisfan
02-20-2006, 01:34 AM
I don't think Rafa thought he would get to the SF at Marseille. There was no way he was going to play Rotterdam, Dubai, IW, Miami all in a row.

I'm sure he's fine and will be ready for Dubai.

nobama
02-20-2006, 01:47 AM
I don't think Rafa thought he would get to the SF at Marseille. There was no way he was going to play Rotterdam, Dubai, IW, Miami all in a row.

I'm sure he's fine and will be ready for Dubai.Oh I agree with you, but all this 'oh he's just tired' stuff is BS. He's been out for several months how can he be tired already? I can understand being rusty (of course that's not a reason to withdraw) or wanting to take every precaution not to re-injure himself. But too tired? That's a lame excuse. But it sounds like it really is more injury related which then it makes sense to pull out so he can make sure he's really healthy for IW and Miami.

NYCtennisfan
02-20-2006, 03:39 AM
I doubt there's anything wrong with Rafa other than a little rustiness and he has to do what is best to get himself into top form. I don't think he is too far off BTW because he didn't play all that well this week and still got to the SF which is quite an accomplishment even if there was some really weak competition.

CooCooCachoo
02-20-2006, 03:46 AM
:haha:

Fucking hilarious.

Poor Rotterdam crowd :tape:

Atleast they still have Fabrice

Talking about Fab. Coming back from the tennis yesterday, Silawen, Chiudi-fan and I arrived at Rotterdam Central Station to see Fabrice there with bags and stuff :lol: Was funny :p

NATAS81
02-20-2006, 04:01 AM
He want to be completely healthy going into his most important stretch run of the season, can't blame him.