Sampras to play at River Oaks [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras to play at River Oaks

peripheral
02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
From the Houston Chronicle:

Sampras to play at River Oaks (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3670132.html)
Feb. 18, 2006, 11:55PM

All-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras will play his first competitive tennis match in 3 1/2 years in Houston during the River Oaks International the first week of April.

Van Barry, director of tennis at River Oaks Country Club, said the contract hasn't yet been signed "but all parties are on board. We very excited to be bringing Pete back to Houston."

In his last match before a paying crowd, Sampras defeated longtime rival Andre Agassi to win the 2002 U.S. Open. It gave him a record 14 major titles.

Sampras will be at River Oaks the night of April 5, facing an opponent to be selected from the exhibition tournament's field.

DALE ROBERTSON

RonE
02-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Alright :yeah:

Will this match be televised in any way?

amierin
02-19-2006, 06:06 PM
No surprise here. I wandered onto his fan forum this morning and they were beating the drum for his return a la JMac. We'll see.

federated
02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
they'd better show this on the tennis channel!

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Roddick should be his opponent, as duck bait! :devil:

jtipson
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I would expect the opponent to be Roddick, perhaps Haas or even Agassi if he's really lucky. I can't imagine any other top players being in Houston for an exo during the clay season.

helen phillips
02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Holy crap did the "actress" finally kick him off the couch and tell him to drop some lbs? Based on the last photos I saw of him I'm not sure who is going to want to see that lumbering around a tennis court.

smucav
02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I would expect the opponent to be Roddick, perhaps Haas or even Agassi if he's really lucky. I can't imagine any other top players being in Houston for an exo during the clay season.There's always an exhibition match--usually involving two players not entered in the tournament--during the River Oaks tournament. Last year it was Roddick v. Fish.

This year the River Oaks tournament is the same week as the Davis Cup quarterfinals. Sampras's opponent will be someone not involved in the DC tie. It could be someone entered in River Oaks, but it could also be someone else like Jim Courier, Todd Martin, or Michael Chang.

River Oaks entry list (partial list):
http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/playerlist.htm

jtipson
02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
This year the River Oaks tournament is the same week as the Davis Cup quarterfinals. Sampras's opponent will be someone not involved in the DC tie. It could be someone entered in River Oaks, but it could also be someone else like Jim Courier, Todd Martin, or Michael Chang.

Yep, that's a good point. I knew it was around the week of DC, just wasn't sure when.

Devotee
02-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Holy crap did the "actress" finally kick him off the couch and tell him to drop some lbs? Based on the last photos I saw of him I'm not sure who is going to want to see that lumbering around a tennis court.

I didn't realize Sampras had gotten fat.

helen phillips
02-19-2006, 09:12 PM
I didn't realize Sampras had gotten fat.

Not huge but well well beyond the pot belly he sported during the last few years he played on tour.

Halba
02-19-2006, 10:09 PM
world champions must have a pot belly, it aids in their flexibility

look at Federer, he has a tiny pot belly too

CentreCourt
02-19-2006, 10:17 PM
So many comebacks. It's great though.

helen phillips
02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
world champions must have a pot belly, it aids in their flexibility

look at Federer, he has a tiny pot belly too

Yet somehow Federer's is cute and Sampras' - well not so much. It might have to do with the over abundance of hair everywhere but his head. Seriously he has gained a lot since he quit and in fairness it must be nice to let the discipline go when you finally stop playing. Pete's a nice guy but a seriously dull tennis player in my book.

NYCtennisfan
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Should be interesting. I wonder who he will go up against?

Tennis Fool
02-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Yet somehow Federer's is cute and Sampras' - well not so much. It might have to do with the over abundance of hair everywhere but his head. Seriously he has gained a lot since he quit and in fairness it must be nice to let the discipline go when you finally stop playing. Pete's a nice guy but a seriously dull tennis player in my book.
You will get along well with TennisChick :lol:

Devotee
02-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Sampras is making his reemergence on his worst surface - red clay.

Hopefully, he can get past the 1st. round.

jtipson
02-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Sampras is making his reemergence on his worst surface - red clay.

Hopefully, he can get past the 1st. round.

It's just a one-off exo, and not a comeback. Thank goodness.

NYCtennisfan
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM

Yes, he's not going to make a comeback and tarnish his legacy even a little bit. Last tour match he played was the USO final against his rival Agassi and it will stay that way.

belco
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
great news

good luck pete

hope u do a comeback :D

belco
02-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, he's not going to make a comeback and tarnish his legacy even a little bit. Last tour match he played was the USO final against his rival Agassi and it will stay that way.

great way to end a career :D

angiel
02-20-2006, 09:37 PM

What is your grouse with Pete's weight - well in my book he is the GREATEST, see ya.

And TENNIS really needs him, you say he is dull, go take a look at his matches my dear and see who is more dull, you are him. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I for one say horaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to see him play. :bigclap: :bigclap: :clap2:

Marat Safinator
02-20-2006, 09:40 PM

your book is dumb, pete for world leader...

Marat Safinator
02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
What is your grouse with Pete's weight - well in my book is his the GREATEST, see ya.

And TENNIS really needs him, you say he is dull, go take a look at his matches my dear and see who is more dull, you are him. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well said, standing ovation from me

angiel
02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
You will get along well with TennisChick :lol:

I think so too, a lot of who are calling others dull are dull themselves. :wavey: :D

angiel
02-20-2006, 09:44 PM

Who is afraid now???? you my dear jtipson are Roger. :devil: :devil: :p

angiel
02-20-2006, 09:47 PM
great news

good luck pete

hope u do a comeback :D

Give a million cheers to see him back playing, and all the Sampras haters, must be shaking in their boots - there is a true and living GOD, :angel: :angel: this is what tennis needs, Pete to play. :worship: :worship: :worship:

jtipson
02-20-2006, 09:50 PM

I might be worried if I were Donald Young I suppose. I would think Sampras probably has enough left for him, in the same way that McEnroe managed to beat Andy Murray 15 months ago.

Some denziens of rec.sport.tennis are actually trying to fool themselves that Sampras could challenge at Wimbledon, including beating Federer, when he didn't even manage it five years ago.

stebs
02-20-2006, 09:51 PM

I wonder what would happen if Fed did have a one off exo with Pete.

I think Fed would probably win easily 6-1 6-1 or something like that but it would still be fun to see.

I'd like to say I'm happy for you as well, you must be well pleased to have another chance to see the great man playing tennis. Enjoy it. :)

jtipson
02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Give a million cheers to see him back playing, and all the Sampras haters, must be shaking in their boots - there is a true and living GOD, :angel: :angel: this is what tennis needs, Pete to play. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Only if you want to kill tennis altogether. He almost managed it last time.

Edit: I'd not be sorry to have him on the seniors tour though.

Rogiman
02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
jtipson...? are you Roger...? :scared:

jtipson
02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
jtipson...? are you Roger...? :scared:

I think I'd rather be Mirka than Roger ;)

Rogiman
02-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I think I'd rather be Mirka than Roger ;)
Speaking of pot belly...

angiel
02-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I might be worried if I were Donald Young I suppose. I would think Sampras probably has enough left for him, in the same way that McEnroe managed to beat Andy Murray 15 months ago.

Some denziens of rec.sport.tennis are actually trying to fool themselves that Sampras could challenge at Wimbledon, including beating Federer, when he didn't even manage it five years ago.

Talk all the nonsense you want my friend, but let me tell you something, one thing i have learn, never underestimate what we humans can do if we set our minds to it, and never do so to Pete Sampras either, I saw him win on his last leg already, your mind is a powerful thing - remember that when you go to sleep tonight - bye. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

R.Federer
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow! I am so happy to see Pete back! I have missed him so many years now
I am sure his service action will still win him many points
And whoa! It would be wonderful to see Roger versus Pete (I would worry for Pete because Roger is obviously in-form and Pete not, but hopefully Roger would not embarrass him and let him win a few games also)

angiel
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Only if you want to kill tennis altogether. He almost managed it last time.

Edit: I'd not be sorry to have him on the seniors tour though.

Maybe you need to read this jtipson, and take it from someone who knows tennis, okay

Mr. Pete Bodo - Tennis World.

The Other Sampras Legacy

Posted 1/27/2005 @ 3:00 PM

Many of the most accomplished people in the world often say there's no honor higher or more satisfying than earning the praise of your peers. If that's true in essentially non-competitive disciplines like literature or particle physics, just think how much more meaningful it must be in an enterprise as directly and nakedly competitive as tennis.

Andy Roddick was asked the other day if the guys in the locker room ever get tired “talking about
Roger {Federer}.”

His reply:

No. You can't because he deserves it. We go through the same questions, but they're extremely relevant questions. You know, he deserves to be talked about the way he's playing right now. We might not like it, but I can definitely respect the people asking the questions. That's for sure. I don't think they're stupid questions. I think they're extremely relevant to what's going on in the game right now.

What a wonderful example of largesse, dignity, and tact. Tennis players often are characterized, and deservedly so, as self-absorbed whiners. But there's also been a great renaissance of sportsmanship in these last few years. Pete Sampras launched this trend—transformation may be more like it—in his signature, understated way. Roddick is his heir. I don't care if he never wins another major; he's helped lift his sport with his authentic humility and class.

Keep talk nonsense if you like.

Rogiman
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
one thing i have learn, never underestimate what we humans can do if we set our minds to it, and never do so to Pete Sampras either, I saw him win on his last leg already, your mind is a powerful thing - remember that when you go to sleep tonight - bye. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Yes, Pete was indeed an awesome player, and a natural winner.

jtipson
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Maybe you need to read this jtipson, and take it from someone who knows tennis, okay...

angiel, but it is not nonsense, it is just my opinion :)

Thanks for the Bodo quip, but I don't need to be convinced that Sampras was the epitome of a great champion. I do actually have a lot of respect for him and his achievements, although I don't hold him to be the best ever.

Perhaps my comments about him killing off tennis were a little cutting, but his serve-dominated game pretty much killed my interest in tennis for a long while, and believe me, I'm not the only fan who had that experience.

Suffice to say I wouldn't ever want Sampras back on the main tour. I'd be surprised if a lot of his fans really wanted that too, because after more than three years away, I'm not sure he'd do justice to his reputation.

Just my two pennies.

angiel
02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
angiel, but it is not nonsense, it is just my opinion :)

Thanks for the Bodo quip, but I don't need to be convinced that Sampras was the epitome of a great champion. I do actually have a lot of respect for him and his achievements, although I don't hold him to be the best ever.

Perhaps my comments about him killing off tennis were a little cutting, but his serve-dominated game pretty much killed my interest in tennis for a long while, and believe me, I'm not the only fan who had that experience.

Suffice to say I wouldn't ever want Sampras back on the main tour. I'd be surprised if a lot of his fans really wanted that too, because after more than three years away, I'm not sure he'd do justice to his reputation.

Just my two pennies.

Good Speed to you my friend, one love. :wavey: :worship: :angel:

fedpras
02-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Maybe you need to read this jtipson, and take it from someone who knows tennis, okay

Mr. Pete Bodo - Tennis World.

The Other Sampras Legacy

Posted 1/27/2005 @ 3:00 PM

Many of the most accomplished people in the world often say there's no honor higher or more satisfying than earning the praise of your peers. If that's true in essentially non-competitive disciplines like literature or particle physics, just think how much more meaningful it must be in an enterprise as directly and nakedly competitive as tennis.

Andy Roddick was asked the other day if the guys in the locker room ever get tired “talking about
Roger {Federer}.”

His reply:

No. You can't because he deserves it. We go through the same questions, but they're extremely relevant questions. You know, he deserves to be talked about the way he's playing right now. We might not like it, but I can definitely respect the people asking the questions. That's for sure. I don't think they're stupid questions. I think they're extremely relevant to what's going on in the game right now.

What a wonderful example of largesse, dignity, and tact. Tennis players often are characterized, and deservedly so, as self-absorbed whiners. But there's also been a great renaissance of sportsmanship in these last few years. Pete Sampras launched this trend—transformation may be more like it—in his signature, understated way. Roddick is his heir. I don't care if he never wins another major; he's helped lift his sport with his authentic humility and class.

Ugh... Peter Bodo. Although I do think that Sampras was a pretty classy player, a quote from Peter Bodo hardly proves it.

helen phillips
02-20-2006, 11:15 PM
What is your grouse with Pete's weight - well in my book he is the GREATEST, see ya.

I for one say horaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to see him play. :bigclap: :bigclap: :clap2:

I am sooo glad for you. For me he isn't. Not too sure why we would be comparing Pete and I, as I have never spent any time with him, but you could be quite correct. As for dull to watch he is really peerless in my book -serve and if your lucky a return and then a winner - ssssnore. It may well be great tennis but fun to watch? Not to me.

And just a heads up but you really come off like a moron - maybe that's what your shooting for but just in case it isn't I thought I should mention it.

helen phillips
02-20-2006, 11:21 PM
well said, standing ovation from me

Well no one can really appreciate the charisma impaired like the charisma impaired I always say. While your up you might want to pull your head out of your *ss.

aam
02-21-2006, 03:56 AM
i gotta see this

Dupuis2006
02-21-2006, 08:07 AM
wow!!

Agassi Aces
02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I would love to see Sampras v Agassi one last time!!!!!!!!!

stebs
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
I saw him win on his last leg already

Things change in three years of retirement.

snapper
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Alright :yeah:

Will this match be televised in any way?

no.... it won't be televised.

angiel
02-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Things change in three years of retirement.

What has change, please tell me - not a whole lot if you ask me. :wavey: :rolleyes: :( :confused:

Only more injuries on the tour these days, look around and see. :D :o

stebs
02-24-2006, 09:33 PM
What has change, please tell me - not a whole lot if you ask me. :wavey: :rolleyes: :( :confused:

Only more injuries on the tour these days, look around and see. :D :o

Sampras condition will have changed drastically. He is not young enough to play on the tour any more, Agassi is an exception.

smucav
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3687420.htmlMark your calendar

Pete Sampras' exhibition match at River Oaks Country Club will be April 6, not April 5.

It will be Sampras' first competitive tennis match since he retired in 2002.

smucav
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/robertson/3719090.htmlMarch 13, 2006, 1:27AM
TENNIS NOTEBOOK
Sampras couldn't say no to River Oaks
Retired great has fond memories of first visit to club
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Pete Sampras could have launched his competitive comeback in a lot of places. River Oaks Country Club won out because of its ... golf course.

Well, maybe that's an overstatement. Truth to tell, Sampras liked everything about the River Oaks proposal. But he definitely had fond memories of his first visit to the club when IMG dispatched him here as a gawky, unknown 17-year-old.

"I remember the old wood stadium and this great golf course there," Sampras said.

The stadium's gone, replaced by a modern concrete and metal structure a number of years ago, but the River Oaks layout has only become lovelier than what Sampras remembers. As part of his deal, Sampras, 34, will play a round or two with the tournament's sponsors the morning after his best-of-three match April 6, probably against Robby Ginepri or Taylor Dent.

Sampras has practiced with Dent in the past and even played him once on the ATP Tour, winning two tiebreaker sets at Cincinnati in 2000. He never has faced Ginepri in a match but has hit with him.

Until he signed off on his first foray back into the game since he won the U.S. Open in 2002, Sampras said he had not struck a tennis ball seriously in 3 1/2 years.

"I need to get serious about it again," he said. "I've got to get my body back into tennis shape, and my arm into shape for serving again. I've been hitting three, four times a week for the last few weeks.

"It's less about hitting the ball and more about getting used to the starting and stopping. I don't want to hurt myself straight away."

This might not be the only time we see Sampras on a tennis court in Houston this year. Because he is going to play World Team Tennis, there is always a chance he will face off against the Houston team at Westside Tennis Club, and "it's not out of the question" that he'll return to play in Jim Courier's Stanford Financial Cup event at River Oaks in November.

Sampras is trying to put together a senior tournament of his own for the Los Angeles area, where he lives, or Scottsdale, Ariz., during the fall. But if he can't get that together this year, he becomes a candidate for the Houston tournament field.

"Last year, I got a little bored," he said. "My competitive juices are flowing again.

"But I just want to have some fun on the court. This isn't a comeback. This is my 'I'm-still-retired' comeback."

Deboogle!.
03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
It'd be funny to see him play Taylor .... on clay.... that'd be a funny match :lol:

Fee
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
As long as Taylor doesn't retire after 3 games with a back injury...

smucav
03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Sampras is out at Indian Wells today sitting with Paul Annacone watching his buddy Tim Henman take on Tomas Berdych.

Lee
03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Sampras is out at Indian Wells today sitting with Paul Annacone watching his buddy Tim Henman take on Tomas Berdych.

He needs to check his investment :cool:

And then see if he and Henman can have a round of golf. ;)

Deboogle!.
03-13-2006, 11:32 PM
As long as Taylor doesn't retire after 3 games with a back injury...:spit: :haha: ok, good one :p

angiel
03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
He needs to check his investment :cool:

And then see if he and Henman can have a round of golf. ;)

Hello Lee - do you see any photos of him? :wavey: :angel: :wavey:

angiel
03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
As long as Taylor doesn't retire after 3 games with a back injury...

I think it is going to a good match, with both of them playing serve & volley. :worship: :worship: You dont see that on the tour these days, everybody is all baseliners, boring. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

smucav
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
He needs to check his investment :cool: And then see if he and Henman can have a round of golf. ;)He'll have plenty of time to go golfing with Timmy now.

Actually PMac said during the evening session that Sampras left town, but might be back on the weekend.

smucav
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3766221.htmlWeb gem
The Sampras-Ginepri match at River Oaks International will feature a first. Not only will it be shown live on the USTA's Web site (www.usta.com), it will be archived for repeat viewing.http://www.usta.com/home/default.spsLive Webcast on USTA.com
Live Webcast Only on USTA.com - Tune in this Thursday at 8:15 ET

The USTA today announced that it will provide an unprecedented live tennis Webcast of Pete Sampras’ return to the court, exclusively on USTA.com. Sampras squares off against fellow American Robby Ginepri, on Thursday, April 6, in an exhibition at the River Oaks International in Houston, TX. The exhibition marks Sampras’ first competitive match since winning the 2002 US Open Final.

The Webcast will begin with pre-match interviews with both players starting at 8:15 ET/5:15 PT. Match play begins at 8:30 p.m. ET/5:30 PT only on USTA.com.

More information coming soon!

Deboogle!.
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/ten/3766221.html

:woohoo:

Thanks smucav

idolwatcher1
04-03-2006, 09:39 PM
The Sampras-Ginepri match at River Oaks International will feature a first. Not only will it be shown live on the USTA's Web site (www.usta.com), it will be archived for repeat viewing.
Yay!! :worship:

buddyholly
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
they'd better show this on the tennis channel!

I think he already owns it.

buddyholly
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
We already have a tennis circuit. Now we're getting a tennis circus.

angiel
04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
We already have a tennis circuit. Now we're getting a tennis circus.

Who is the tennis circus????? :confused: :( :rolleyes:

smucav
04-04-2006, 09:24 PM
http://www.usta.com/presentations/imgs/06/04/samprasginepri/newsletter_c.jpg
The USTA today announced that it will provide an unprecedented live tennis Webcast of Pete Sampras' return to the court, exclusively on USTA.com. Sampras squares off against fellow American Robby Ginepri, on Thursday, April 6, in an exhibition at the River Oaks International in Houston, TX. The exhibition marks Sampras' first competitive match since winning the 2002 US Open Final.

The Webcast will begin with pre-match interviews with both players starting at 8:15 ET/5:15 PT. Match play begins at 8:30 p.m. ET/5:30 PT only on USTA.com.

email: webresponse@usta.com
voice: (914) 696-7000
web: http://www.usta.com

Deboogle!.
04-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Pete did a conference call today :)
http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_12312.pdf
--------------
Sampras Returns April 6 vs. Robby Ginepri Only on USTA.com
4/4/06 6:56 PM

Live Internet Broadcast Begins at 8:15 PM ET

First Competitive Match for Sampras Since Winning the 2002 US Open

Live Internet Broadcast begins with Exclusive Pre-Match Player Interviews Followed by Complete Live Match Coverage

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., April 4, 2006 -- The USTA today announced that it will provide an unprecedented live internet broadcast of Pete Sampras’ return to the court, exclusively on USTA.com. As this match will not be available on television, USTA.com will be the only outlet for fans to see Sampras back in action. Sampras squares off against fellow American Robby Ginepri, on Thursday, April 6, beginning at 8:15 p.m. ET in an exhibition at the River Oaks International in Houston, TX.

The live internet broadcast will begin with pre-match interviews with both players starting at 8:15 ET/5:15 PT. Match play begins at 8:30 p.m. ET/5:30 PT.

“I’m looking forward to playing Robby on April 6 at River Oaks, where I have fond memories of playing early in my career,” said Pete Sampras. “Many thanks to the USTA for working with us to broadcast the match online so fans around the world can enjoy the action.”

The live internet broadcast will include the 14-time Grand Slam champion’s complete match against 2005 US Open Semifinalist and in-depth interviews with both players. USTA.com will also make the match available immediately following the live viewing.

“This will be the first time that a high profile American tennis match will be available live and exclusively on the Web,” said Jeffrey Volk, Director of Advanced Media, USTA. “We want to bring the game of tennis closer to our fans, and seeing the legendary Pete Sampras in his first match since winning the 2002 US Open helps us achieve that objective.”

The USTA is working in partnership with IMG Media to produce this live internet broadcast which will feature multiple cameras and a full production team. IMG Media has been a technical and hosting partner of the USTA since 2002.

More information can be found on USTA.com and in conjunction with the River Oaks International, www.RiverOaksInternational.com.

For more on Sampras as he prepares to play Ginepri in an exhibition match at the River Oaks International, click here to read the entire webcast interview transcript. http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_12312.pdf

Hank777
04-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Pete did a conference call today
http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/ust...oc_13_12312.pdf
--------------
Sampras Returns April 6 vs. Robby Ginepri Only on USTA.com
4/4/06 6:56 PM
Wow, nice link thanks, read it start 2 finish ...

Interesting comment on him vs Federer, liked that ...

It's good to hear he's preparing seriously, I'm really excited about april 6th !! :cool: :worship: :D

Corey Feldman
04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Good luck legend :)