Winner of Open 13 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Winner of Open 13

Marine
02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
It deserves a special thread :)

6/4 6/2

It's just incredibly fabulous. He played his best tennis during this week, beat very good players: Gasquet, Verdasco, Santoro, Nadal and Ancic. What to add ? Merci monsieur Clément. :worship:

(ps: congrats to a sponsor..lol.. cg13, who has shown the match video online !!! since the beginning until the come back to the locker room, kisses to his mother grandmother, g/f etc...lol :yeah: )

(ps2: congrats to Amélie who beat Clisjters in final in Belgium it's her 3rd title in a row after Melbourne and Paris :yeah: )

Björki
02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
congrats to petit Arnaud :yeah:

yoguis
02-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Congratulations!

kukka
02-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Allez Arnaud!!! :worship: :hearts: :yippee:

What a great win for him! Already the win over Rafael yesterday was amazing! :woohoo:

Elina :umbrella:

Marine
02-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Pics...

Marine
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Open 13
Marseille, France February 19, 2006
Clement Upsets Ancic in Marseille Final

French wild card Arnaud Clement won his third career ATP title at the Open 13 in Marseille on Sunday, defeating Croatian Mario Ancic 6-4, 6-2 in 1 hour, 32 minutes.

Clement, spurred on by his home crowd, was in control of the match throughout, converting three of five break points on his opponent’s serve whilst never losing serve himself.

The Frenchman, a finalist in Marseille in 1999 (l. to Santoro), adds the Marseille crown to titles collected in Lyon (2000) and Metz (2003). His three career titles have all come in France. The Frenchman now holds a 3-5 record in ATP finals.

Clement, who comes from Aix-en-Provence, just 30 minutes from Marseille, won his first career ATP match in Marseille in 1997 (d. Karol Kucera).

The win avenges a 6-0, 6-2 loss suffered at the hands of Ancic in the first round of Adelaide in January this year. He now leads their head-to-head series 3-1.

Clement defeated Richard Gasquet, Fernando Verdasco, Fabrice Santoro, Rafael Nadal and Ancic en route to victory.

The win means Clement will climb into the Top 50 of the INDESIT ATP Rankings for the first time since July 12, 2004 when Monday’s rankings are released.

Clement is the first Frenchman since Santoro (1999) to win the Open 13 in Marseille. He now holds a 19-8 career record at this event.

Ancic is now 0-2 in ATP finals (Auckland, Marseille) in 2006 and 1-5 in career ATP finals; his lone victory coming in ‘s-Hertogenbosch in 2005.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID
Clement: “I knew I had my chances this week, but with the strength of the draw here this year, if someone told me I would win this tournament this week, I wouldn’t really have believed them. It’s an amazing feeling to win here in front of my family and friends.

“Back in 1999, before the tournament, I said that if I won Marseille I would stop playing tennis. I got to the final that year. This time around, to win this tournament today, it doesn’t make me want to stop but it gives me strength and confidence for the future. It was a fantastic week. Absolutely magical.”

Ancic: “He really did everything well today. I wasn’t serving as well as in the past few days but he did everything better than me today. When I was coming to the net, he was passing me. When I was staying back, he was hitting winners. I had two break points early in the second set which I couldn’t take. I played the first one badly and then he served great on the second one. I wasn’t able to take the few chances that I had.

“The whole week, he’s been playing unbelievably. I watched him against Gasquet and Verdasco. His current ranking is not really relevant because he’s been ranked in the Top 10 before and is capable of playing great tennis. He played unbelievable tennis all week.”

Mount Goddess
02-19-2006, 07:36 PM
http://smileys.******************/cat/13/13_4_6.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm227AXGB) Well done Arnaud http://smileys.******************/cat/13/13_4_8.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm227AXGB)

PaulieM
02-19-2006, 07:48 PM
ARNAUD!!!!! :bigclap: so happy :)

Hangdog
02-19-2006, 09:59 PM
It’s a very special day today.

I was quite far from tennis that time when you could see Arnaud playing around Grand Slam finals in the number of the best world’s tennis players. When I stopped on him my attention he was something aiming to the exit of top 100. I imagine how hard it was for him to be kicked away from that top after being between the best and begin time and time again climbing back to his real place. It was very long and complicated way every step of which was so hard. Qualifications, challengers, plenty loses in the first round. I don’t know what made me to follow almost all this his way, but there is something special in him that is impossible to describe by words.

And this his victory over the strongest rivals at his home tournament is a great feat. He has really deserved it like, perhaps, nobody else. I’m very happy for him. It was just... formidable! *words have finished*

Congratulations to Arnaud, to the people who helps him and sure to everybody who supports him. France can be proud of her son. Respect.
:clap2: :worship: ARNAUD :worship: :clap2:

P.S. Yeah, grand merci to that sponsor, I even had a good luck to added the translation on a match point :). Special merci to Marine - for all the info, links, photos and just for everything :worship:. Also congratulations to Amelie who's been doing something incredible since last November (sorry for Kim though) :yeah:.

Via
02-19-2006, 10:24 PM
it really has been a dream week and i have to pinch myself to believe it. arnaud in recently times wouldn't have survived one match against such illlustrated opponents. :worship: doesn't ancic seem to have too much admiration for him :lol:

hey irina i'm happy for you to finally see him win something at last! as for me i don't have any particular ambition when following arnaud... but getting out of those qualifiers would be very handy indeed :)

marine of course knows that i've been thanking her for her contributions the entire week :worship:

Marine
02-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Arnaud won 3 tournaments in his carrier: Lyon, Metz, Marseille.
Everybody will have noticed the u have things in common ... ;) so, now, what else ? Monte Carlo, Bercy, and Roland Garros. :o

Via
02-19-2006, 11:16 PM
:lol:

when he bags those three, he can well and truly say he will stop playing!

however if we follow the pattern, there's a 3 years gap between his titles (2000, 2003, 2006). so we will have to be very patient ;)

Anne-Claire
02-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Congrats Arnaud!!!!!! It's GREAT ;)

I hardly believed it first, as I was in Rotterdam and every articles were in Dutch... but I finally got the confirmation of his Victory!

Arnaud, please next time you win a tournament, don't do it when I can't follow the final... lol

What a great week of tennis!!

(Sad for Mario but I saw him yesterday and he seems OK) :)

kukka
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I know I'm a bit late with this but:

Congratulations Arnaud!

:bowdown: :woohoo: :yeah: :bounce: :hearts:

Elina :umbrella: