Tears Falling......*summary posted*.........Andy Murray defeats Andy Roddick 7-5, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tears Falling......*summary posted*.........Andy Murray defeats Andy Roddick 7-5, 7-5

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:39 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

ESPN's Article
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2335560

I am so sad. Andy has been carrying the weight of American tennis on his shoulders and I support him. But, I am feeling that he is no longer a top 5 player :sad:

SUMMARY OF THE MATCH...............Thanks to J'torian :hug:

Well, my interpretation of what happened is that Roddick was simply not as strong as Murray was during his return games. They were both solid on their service games, but Roddick faltered where it counted: at 5-5 in the second set, Murray managed to break thanks to a Roddick UE. (Roddick did get pissed at a bad line call during the second set, but it wasn't anywhere near during a crucial break point or game point or anything like that.)

So yeah, simple as that. It was the usual Roddick weaknesses that critics like to harp on: the longer the rallies went, the less Roddick was favored, and with Roddick's first serve deserting him in the second set, his game became noticeably weaker.

Murray did get tight towards the end, double-faulting twice in the last game (and once was on match point!), and in the last game the score went from 30-30 to AD-Roddick, but he managed to keep his cool. He won the next three points by forcing the UEs from Andy, and won the game.

I'm no expert, but the main thing I think that separated to two players in this game was court sense. (Roddick obviously has a big serve, but like I said it kind of disappeared on him in the second set, and Murray's serve was strong too in this match.) Andy definitely had better anticipation than Roddick during the longer points, and he made Roddick scramble during many rallies - at times it seemed like Roddick was a little lost as to where Andy would punch the ball.

Also, federated mentioned that Murray thinks his game/mentality is similar to Lleyton's, and I'd have to agree. Murray is a great scrambler and defensive player, which kind of helped to neutralize the effect of Roddick's aggressive play. He managed to return Roddick's big serves really well, which was the important thing.

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 03:41 AM
So much for that Hewitt vs Roddick final!It seemed like Murray was able to read Roddick's serve in the latter stages!Huge win for Andrew Murray, huge!

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:42 AM
So much for that Hewitt vs Roddick final!It seemed like Murray was able to read Roddick's serve in the latter stages!Huge win for Andrew Murray, huge!

Did you see the match? Can you give more info?

I was looking forward to a Roddick vs Hewitt final........

darnyelb
WTF?

Flibbertigibbet
Congratulations to Andy, too bad for Andy.

whosthis77
oh andy.. :crying2:

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Congratulations to Andy, too bad for Andy.

:lol: cute..........but back to :sad:

rofe
02-19-2006, 03:44 AM
I realize Murray seems to be gaining potential but this is a surprise. I second mangoes' question. What happened? Did Roddick try diffrent things and still lost or did he as usual just capitulate when plan A did not work? I hope the former.

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 03:44 AM
Well, Roddick had his chances but Murray just came up big with his serve when he needed too.I am starting to wonder about Roddick as well.

Billabong
02-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Murray is a very good player, I hope Lleyton will be ready to face a big test tomorrow:yeah: Well done to both guys for reaching the finals:D!

federated
02-19-2006, 03:46 AM

If anyone saw the match, please give highlights.

I am so sad. Andy has been carrying the weight of American tennis on his shoulders and I support him. But, I am feeling that he is no longer a top 5 player :sad:

I'm not a fan of roddick the player, but he seems like a really nice and funny guy, so I feel for him, too. :hug:

I just hope that Blake and Ginepri (and scoville and donald young!!!) can really step it up to help share that burden.

HOWEVER, I AM a fan of MURRAY, and what a great win for him! :rolls: :clap2:

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 03:46 AM
Remember, these guys havent faced each other before!Maybe this is just a bad matchup for Roddick, style wise!

El Legenda
02-19-2006, 03:47 AM
you rule andy :lol:

Corey Feldman
02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
COME ON!
Scotland defeats Roddick on his home turf :haha: ..
well staying up at 5am for this magnificence :D
gl in your final Muzza

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Remember, these guys havent faced each other before!Maybe this is just a bad matchup for Roddick, style wise!

But, straight sets? Andy is no. 3 in the world.

Regenbogen
02-19-2006, 03:49 AM
i didn't expect this at all...didn't expect murray to do so well against someone with more power...but hey, i'm happy! :D though i do want to know what roddick was doing. hopefully no panicking net-rushing :o

Flibbertigibbet
Yeah, seriously, does anybody have any details on the match? I haven't seen much of Murray (though I saw parts of that Murray-Nalbandian Wimbledon match). Is he comparable to Hewitt? Attitude-wise, he seems something like it, though I can't be sure. How was his game today? How was Andy Roddick playing? Etc., etc. Any details are appreciated!

Sjengster
I always thought Murray had a good chance of winning crucial returning points on the Roddick serve if he could hold his own deal and get to tiebreaks, but he was impressive at holding his own delivery and at putting the Roddick serve under pressure. I only have the scoreboard to go on, but it seems he won the opening point on the Elder Andy's serve numerous times and was only really troubled on his own serve immediately after he had got the break twice in the second set - at 3-2, when he was broken back to love, and then again at 6-5 when serving it out.

RogiFan88
Well done, Andy but poor poor Andy...

I think Andy will win this tomorrow...

The new gen is starting to live up to the hype... they must be going bonkers in Scotland as I type...

acoffeygirl
But, straight sets? Andy is no. 3 in the world.
Someone needs to remind Andy of that!

shotgun
02-19-2006, 03:50 AM
mangoes, may I ask the reason of the excess of "................" you usually employ in your thread titles?

RogiFan88
...but then I thought Rafa w win Marseille...

disturb3d
Remember, these guys havent faced each other before!Maybe this is just a bad matchup for Roddick, style wise!Andy Roddick sucks. How many times do you have to hear it to understand.

RogiFan88
...altho Wee Andrew is not coming back fr a few mths' absence so...

LLeytonRules
Murray is a young gun.He was able to hold his nerves, i will say that the score could have been worse in the second set.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:51 AM

The new gen is starting to live up to the hype... they must be going bonkers in Scotland as I type...

I think he will win tomorrow too............Lleyton isn't at 100%

federated
well, tomorrow's final should be interesting; first lleyton-andy match up. I know murray's eager to play lleyton cuz he thinks they have similar scrappy, never-give-up-mate mentalities.

I imagine that Sean Connery is text messaging Murray right now, or has just blown his wad at his tv set.

mangoes
I just wanted to mention that we are getting this match broadcast in the Bay Area but there is a 30 minutes delay or something... The match is already over and we're still in the second set, on TV. Once I finish watching, I'll give some input on how Roddick did.

Thank you.............I'm eagerly awaiting your post..

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 03:52 AM
i didn't expect this at all...didn't expect murray to do so well against someone with more power...but hey, i'm happy! :D though i do want to know what roddick was doing. hopefully no panicking net-rushing :o

power and a big serve aren't everything :p

LLeytonRules
I cant believe Roddick is number 3 in the world! :mad: Thats what is ridiculous!

ginn1888
they must be going bonkers in Scotland as I type...

Its 5am here and im jumping about like a madman, waking everyone up, :D
I never thought Murray could beat Roddick yet, but just incredible play to beat him in straight sets

Sjengster
02-19-2006, 03:53 AM

Hmm, I do feel like bumping up the "Young guns underperforming?" thread now.... ;)

As for Scotland, forget it: 5am + apathetic attitude to tennis = scarcely a blip on the radar, sadly. Although now I come to think of it, it will create ripples for a day or two. If he actually finishes the deal tomorrow, then I think people will go crazy, in a distinctively Scottish fashion. :p

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 03:53 AM
What's wrong w Lleyton? Still injured? Well then he's screwed...

federated
02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
I just wanted to mention that we are getting this match broadcast in the Bay Area but there is a 30 minutes delay or something... The match is already over and we're still in the second set, on TV. Once I finish watching, I'll give some input on how Roddick did.

Thank you.............I'm eagerly awaiting your post..

Me, too Thanks J'torian.

Flibbertigibbet
02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
If Murray manages to beat Hewitt, I'm sure the British press will go bonkers and pen him as a favorite to win Wimbledon, though. :p

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Hmm, I do feel like bumping up the "Young guns underperforming?" thread now.... ;)

As for Scotland, forget it: 5am + apathetic attitude to tennis = scarcely a blip on the radar, sadly. Although now I come to think of it, it will create ripples for a day or two. If he actually finishes the deal tomorrow, then I think people will go crazy, in a distinctively Scottish fashion. :p

And just what that distinctively Scottish fashion is, may I ask? Breaking out the whiskey and doing the highland fling? :p If Wee Andrew wins his first title, I reckon not just Scotland will be going crazy... and Andrew will throw it back in their faces for criticising him for NOT living up to the enormous hype!!

Sjengster
02-19-2006, 03:58 AM
And just what that distinctively Scottish fashion is, may I ask? Breaking out the whiskey and doing the highland fling? :p If Wee Andrew wins his first title, I reckon not just Scotland will be going crazy... and Andrew will throw it back in their faces for criticising him for NOT living up to the enormous hype!!

I feel I had better bow to the illustrious Scottish trio of adeegee, Escude and Raquel on this one. ;)

I really hope he can capitalise tomorrow, but I share Flibbertigibbet's fears about the press here - Roddick and Hewitt in a row, first title, now he's invincible and his march to the Top 10 is assured! Not so easy. Interesting to note that his second final is again on indoor hard like the first, obviously one of his best surfaces, and that it's come in America, where he seems to be at his most comfortable; hopefully that augurs well for IW and Miami.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 03:59 AM
If Murray manages to beat Hewitt, I'm sure the British press will go bonkers and pen him as a favorite to win Wimbledon, though. :p

I can visualize the headlines already.............and dreading them......

silverwhite
02-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Andy :help:

Winston's Human
02-19-2006, 04:09 AM
I just hope that Blake and Ginepri (and scoville and donald young!!!) can really step it up to help share that burden.

Highly unlikely!

Blake and Ginepri have worse consistency problems than Roddick. See the Blake loss to Wang or the Ginepri losses to Gremelmayr and Lee.

As for Young, he may be a fabulous junior; however, the USTA is going to push him so far so fast that it will be surprising if Young does not completely burn out before he is strong enough to play in the big leagues.

*Viva Chile*
02-19-2006, 04:10 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060219/capt.18e332582efe488d86d165f2f98afa55.san_jose_ten nis_sja112.jpg?x=380&y=298&sig=8nyzH0kdyGMPMOkmQoWE2Q--
England's Andy Murray, left, gives Andy Roddick a pat on the shoulder at the end of their semifinals match in the SAP Open tennis tournament in San Jose, Calif. on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2006. Murray won the match, 7-5, 7-5.

federated
02-19-2006, 04:10 AM
TEHNNIS CHANNEL OUT OF NOWHERE IS SHOWING MCENROE MATCH LIVE INSTEAD OF BUENOS AIRES REPEAT

Fergie
02-19-2006, 04:11 AM
Andy :sad:

Givenchy
02-19-2006, 04:14 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060219/capt.922ba7c1738547589b41d24b3620acc1.san_jose_ten nis_sja113.jpg

:rolls:

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 04:16 AM
LMAO :devil: :devil: , that is classic.

*Viva Chile*
02-19-2006, 04:17 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060219/capt.922ba7c1738547589b41d24b3620acc1.san_jose_ten nis_sja113.jpg

this one could be in "unattractive pics" or in "funny photos" threads :lol:

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:18 AM
this one could be in "unattractive pics" or in "funny photos" threads :lol:

No, this is in the "I don't know what happened, AGAIN" thread........... :p

ugotlobbed
02-19-2006, 04:18 AM

If anyone saw the match, please give highlights.

its ok mangoes, i feel ur pain ....if it makes u feel any better ill give u a cyber hug ......go andy!

Socket
02-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Caption: "Do you think I should have hired my sister to coach me instead of my brother?"

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Well, my interpretation of what happened is that Roddick was simply not as strong as Murray was during his return games. They were both solid on their service games, but Roddick faltered where it counted: at 5-5 in the second set, Murray managed to break thanks to a Roddick UE. (Roddick did get pissed at a bad line call during the second set, but it wasn't anywhere near during a crucial break point or game point or anything like that.)

So yeah, simple as that. It was the usual Roddick weaknesses that critics like to harp on: the longer the rallies went, the less Roddick was favored, and with Roddick's first serve deserting him in the second set, his game became noticeably weaker.

Murray did get tight towards the end, double-faulting twice in the last game (and once was on match point!), and in the last game the score went from 30-30 to AD-Roddick, but he managed to keep his cool. He won the next three points by forcing the UEs from Andy, and won the game.

I'm no expert, but the main thing I think that separated to two players in this game was court sense. (Roddick obviously has a big serve, but like I said it kind of disappeared on him in the second set, and Murray's serve was strong too in this match.) Andy definitely had better anticipation than Roddick during the longer points, and he made Roddick scramble during many rallies. federated mentioned that Murray thinks his game/mentality is similar to Lleyton's, and I'd have to agree. Murray is a great scrambler and defensive player, which kind of helped to neutralize the effect of Roddick's aggressive play.

Do you mind if I post this in the first post of this thread so people aren't scrambling to look for a summary of what happened?

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:22 AM
No problem, but if you do, can you use the new version? I just edited it slightly. :D

No problem :) Thanks

darnyelb
02-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Yeah, and #2 Nadal got his tail beaten by a wildcarded Frenchman today.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:23 AM
its ok mangoes, i feel ur pain ....if it makes u feel any better ill give u a cyber hug ......go andy!

:kiss: :hug: Thank you

Corey Feldman
02-19-2006, 04:24 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060219/capt.18e332582efe488d86d165f2f98afa55.san_jose_ten nis_sja112.jpg?x=380&y=298&sig=8nyzH0kdyGMPMOkmQoWE2Q--
England's Andy Murray, left, gives Andy Roddick a pat on the shoulder at the end of their semifinals match in the SAP Open tennis tournament in San Jose, Calif. on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2006. Murray won the match, 7-5, 7-5.
England's Andy Murray .....
what the fork!? :fiery: :fiery:

nobama
02-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Roddick sucks right now. End of story. You know it's bad when the commentators are frequently wishing out loud for him to be doing something he's not....like coming in on his serve.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Yeah, and #2 Nadal got his tail beaten by a wildcarded Frenchman today.

But not in straight sets................that's annoying that a lower ranked player can beat Andy in straight sets so easily. Oh and Rafa is coming off a 4 month injury break.

peripheral
02-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the report J'Torian!
Andy :yeah:

nobama
02-19-2006, 04:29 AM
power and a big serve aren't everything :pRoddick's serve was definately letting him tonight. But the score could've been worse. I believe Murray was up 40-0 on one of Roddick's serve and didn't get the break. And when he did Break Roddick in the second set he got broken right back. Roddick had a break point in the last game to take it to a tb but Murray toughed it out.

mishar
02-19-2006, 04:30 AM
I watched the match. Murray totally outplayed Roddick. He mixed up the pace very well and that really confused Roddick. Roddick played tentatively -- he didn't come in very often, he served pretty poorly, he basically played the slow game Murray imposed on him. He hit some good shots, but his returns were not great and he gave it away in the eleventh game of each set. Roddick was trying hard out there, but his panic and ill-ease were palpable. It was sad. Murray meanwhile played some wonderful subtle shots. I'm impressed by the youngster.

nobama
02-19-2006, 04:32 AM

:rolls::lol: I remember this...Roddick was making fun of the ump who didn't over rule a bad line call.

Experimentee
02-19-2006, 04:35 AM
For a top player, Roddick's return game is a joke. No way he should be losing to Murray :help:

bellascarlett
02-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Andy Murray! :woohoo: Just a great match from him. This was the first time I saw him play and I was really impressed. He was able to return Roddick's serves well which as J'torian mentioned was probably the biggest hurdle. As soon as the rallies were underway, Murray just merely outplayed Roddick most of the time and was producing great shots from all over the court. I went from having fun rooting against Roddick to actually enjoying Murray's game. He's got a lot of variety and the contrast to Roddick's game was far too obvious tonight. He's really got a lot of potential. Good Luck against Hewitt! :)

Sjengster
02-19-2006, 04:37 AM
For a top player, Roddick's return game is a joke. No way he should be losing to Murray

Yes, that legendarily weak server and returner Murray.

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:39 AM
No way he should be losing to Murray

At this point, this is absolutely correct. Murray might get a lot better and probably will, but as of right now, Roddick really needs to think about getting a real coach and doing something before he falls out of the top 10.

amierin
02-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Roddick was tentative but I think he's trying to stop relying on his serve whenever the going gets tough. If he wants to stay top five he doesn't have much choice but to change his game.

That said Murray played very well and deserved the win.

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Yes, that legendarily weak server and returner Murray.

So you're saying that you weren't surprised by this result?

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Johny Mac is surely representing at the SAP Open ;)

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Roddick couldn't get a first serve in the 2nd set. Murray hit soft balls all night and like a retard, Roddick tried to go for huge winners on this medium paced court. That line call was a pretty bad call and turned around what could've been a comeback for Andy. Murray was serving to stay in the 2nd set and Roddick was finally dictating a rally (b/c he hadn't hit an error in this point yet), and hit a good deep shot in the corner that was CLEARLY inside the baseline. The lineswomen calls it out LATE, Roddick looks up at the chair and the umpire is up there giggling or laughing. Roddick loses his mind and starts parroting the ump, then gets broken in his next service game. Yawn.

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Johnny Mac is a legend's legend. Obnoxious, rude, arrogant.....but truly a tennis genius.

Sjengster
So you're saying that you weren't surprised by this result?

Of course I'm surprised, but to say there's "no way" Roddick should be losing to Murray is silly; the latter is definitely a good enough returner to beat Roddick, I knew that before the match, what I suspected was that his serving would be too inconsistent and he'd give up crucial breaks to Roddick because of that. He can serve big as well, hence my sarcasm above, but as we know the percentage tends to drop during matches.

federated
I think the younger players are finally adding variety a la federer back into the game--because of federer. That won't change any time soon.

Power Only is on its way out. The fact that Johnny Mac is playing--and winning--and the return of hingis all point to a return shift to strategy and variety in addition to power. As many people on MTF and in the media have said, Roddick just isn't a natural tennis player. he's no strategist and his volleys usually come accompanied with the deer in the headlights look.
Andy's Power Only game was good enough til Fed showed up, and the young guns are gonna continue to outplay him.

Roddick's on his way out; the only question I have is whether he'll be out of the top 10 this year or next year. GRANTED, his serve may still be enough to consistently whip the competition (sans federer) on grass, but that's it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with hewitt, the other big shot of the pre-fed early '00s.

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Jackieglover, your AV and sigline have to all-time classics.

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 04:46 AM
I watched the match. Murray totally outplayed Roddick.

It wouldn't have taken much to outplay Roddick tonight. He played horrible and obviously can't control his emotions out there on the court. He seemed defeated even when they were still on serve in the 2nd set.

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Mac and Bjork in a little bit of trouble in the second set, they took the first, 6-3, down a break, 3-0 in the second. :(

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Of course I'm surprised, but to say there's "no way" Roddick should be losing to Murray is silly; the latter is definitely a good enough returner to beat Roddick, I knew that before the match, what I suspected was that his serving would be too inconsistent and he'd give up crucial breaks to Roddick because of that. He can serve big as well, hence my sarcasm above, but as we know the percentage tends to drop during matches.

Murray is really a fantasic returner and a lot of people underestimated his talent including me (c.f. everyone dumping on him in the Group A, Group B thread), but at this point, Roddick should not have lot this match. Maybe by year's end, this result will be no surprise at all.

federated
02-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Johnny Mac is a legend's legend. Obnoxious, rude, arrogant.....but truly a tennis genius.

I hope Johnny mac is planning to play more tournaments. I'm giddy watching him! I just bought Bill Scanlon's (SO FAR GREAT) book "Bad News for MacEnroe" on that whole era (it's a bargain book on amazon, fyi). Johnny Mac is the O.G Evil Genius.

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=NYCtennisfan]Roddick should not have lost this match. /QUOTE]

And that's what happened, he lost it and Murray was the beneficiary of his gift errors.

(BTW, I edited your sentence, changing "lot" to "lost", hope you don't mind :p )

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Roddick should not have lost this match.

And that's what happened, he lost it and Murray was the beneficiary of his gift errors.

(BTW, I edited your sentence, changing "lot" to "lost", hope you don't mind :p )

mangoes
Murray is really a fantasic returner and a lot of people underestimated his talent including me (c.f. everyone dumping on him in the Group A, Group B thread), but at this point, Roddick should not have lot this match. Maybe by year's end, this result will be no surprise at all.

I agree with you. Roddick should not have lost this match, and definitely not in straight sets. I did expect Murray to give him a bit of a challenge, but not win the match.

yomike
If Murray manages to beat Hewitt, I'm sure the British press will go bonkers and pen him as a favorite to win Wimbledon, though.

They'll droll for days if that happens.

amierin
02-19-2006, 04:52 AM
I think the younger players are finally adding variety a la federer back into the game--because of federer. That won't change any time soon.

Power Only is on its way out. The fact that Johnny Mac is playing--and winning--and the return of hingis all point to a return shift to strategy and variety in addition to power. As many people on MTF and in the media have said, Roddick just isn't a natural tennis player. he's no strategist and his volleys usually come accompanied with the deer in the headlights look.
Andy's Power Only game was good enough til Fed showed up, and the young guns are gonna continue to outplay him.

Roddick's on his way out; the only question I have is whether he'll be out of the top 10 this year or next year. GRANTED, his serve may still be enough to consistently whip the competition (sans federer) on grass, but that's it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with hewitt, the other big shot of the pre-fed early '00s.

Excellent points. Re Hewie, isn't he out of the top ten now?

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Excellent points. Re Hewie, isn't he out of the top ten now?

He's about to make a return to the top 10 when the new rankings come out. But, Hewitt has had a lack of match play which has been evident. Nevertheless, I don't see Hewitt exiting the top 10 as quickly as Andy.

Corey Feldman
02-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Roddick should not have lost this match, and definitely not in straight sets. I did expect Murray to give him a bit of a challenge, but not win the match.and why shouldnt have roddick lost this match then? tennis is about who plays best on the day, and clearly it was Murray.
:retard:

NYCtennisfan
02-19-2006, 04:56 AM
I hope Johnny mac is planning to play more tournaments. I'm giddy watching him! I just bought Bill Scanlon's (SO FAR GREAT) book "Bad News for MacEnroe" on that whole era (it's a bargain book on amazon, fyi). Johnny Mac is the O.G Evil Genius.

It's no accident that JMAC is playing doubles right now.

As much of a jerk as this guy can be, he LOVES and SUPPORTS the game of tennis like no other. He also loves doubles and wants people to get interested in it again. What better way to to this than to have the greatest doubles player of all time come back into action?

mangoes
02-19-2006, 04:57 AM
and why shouldnt have roddick lost this match then? tennis is about who plays best on the day, and clearly it was Murray.
:retard:

If you're going to call me a retard, at least do it with proper grammar so I can feel that I'm being called a retard by a genius.

mickymouse
02-19-2006, 04:59 AM
What should separate the top 5 from the rest of the field should be their consistency. Roddick, alas, is becoming more and more like Blake, Ginepri and Dent.

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Mac/Bjork break back, 4-3 in the second set, Mac and Co serving to even it up at 4-4

federated
02-19-2006, 05:04 AM
What should separate the top 5 from the rest of the field should be their consistency. Roddick, alas, is becoming more and more like Blake, Ginepri and Dent.

No one could have put it better. You're absolutely right.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:06 AM
What should separate the top 5 from the rest of the field should be their consistency.

Agree :)

Corey Feldman
02-19-2006, 05:11 AM
If you're going to call me a retard, at least do it with proper grammar so I can feel that I'm being called a retard by a genius.Whatever, i'll leave you in your bitter and tearful mood after the Duck was shot down by the Scot
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0005.gif
:haha:

nobama
02-19-2006, 05:11 AM
I think the younger players are finally adding variety a la federer back into the game--because of federer. That won't change any time soon.Not just that but they've learned what works against Andy. Just block the ball back or throw junk at him which he has a hard time dealing with. I was kind of surprised the crowd didn't get into it more. It was almost like they didn't care if Roddick won or lost, or after losing the first set just assumed he'd lose the match. :shrug:

nobama
02-19-2006, 05:14 AM
What should separate the top 5 from the rest of the field should be their consistency. Roddick, alas, is becoming more and more like Blake, Ginepri and Dent.And being able to win when you're not playing your best - like Fed did against Haas and Davydenko at AO. But yes Roddick needs more consistency. If he can't win here, what are his chances in IW and Miami when the rest of the field shows up?

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 05:14 AM
Not just that but they've learned what works against Andy. Just block the ball back or throw junk at him which he has a hard time dealing with.

But it wasn't like Murray did this today specifically for Andy, he always plays like this. Roddick should have come with a better gameplan.

federated
02-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Not just that but they've learned what works against Andy. Just block the ball back or throw junk at him which he has a hard time dealing with. I was kind of surprised the crowd didn't get into it more. It was almost like they didn't care if Roddick won or lost, or after losing the first set just assumed he'd lose the match. :shrug:

Oh, that is such a shame. I watched a few of the Marseille matches online and the crowds for Gasquet, Monfils, Grosjean, Santoro and Clement were just so into it and so vocal. They've really been lifting Clement all week...

Same with th Argentinians for calleri today, too.

Such a shame.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:16 AM
ESPN's Article

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2335560

LLeytonRules
02-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Looks like its do or die for Mac and Bjork, they lost the second set, 6-4, they need to come back in this 3rd and final set!

amierin
02-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Oh, that is such a shame. I watched a few of the Marseille matches online and the crowds for Gasquet, Monfils, Grosjean, Santoro and Clement were just so into it and so vocal. They've really been lifting Clement all week...

Same with th Argentinians for calleri today, too.

Such a shame.

I was surprised the crowd was so quiet too. Maybe it's that laid back California thing.

federated
02-19-2006, 05:29 AM
MAC AND BJORK THROUGH TO FINALS! :woohoo:

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Congrats McEnroe and Bjork...................... The crowd was cheering for McEnroe, they weren't so quiet.

nkhera1
02-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Its obvious that Roddick has a ton of work to do. Great players don't lose like this as often as he does.

federated
02-19-2006, 05:32 AM
But it wasn't like Murray did this today specifically for Andy, he always plays like this. Roddick should have come with a better gameplan.

roddick's new post-goldfine game plan:

``It's just going back to being a tennis player,'' he said. ``Like out there tonight, I wasn't focused on, What am I going to do here? I'm just trying to compete, get balls in, let's make the guy play, let's get a ball and hit it.'' :rolleyes:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/other_sports/13876469.htm

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 05:36 AM
roddick's new post-goldfine game plan:

``It's just going back to being a tennis player,'' he said. ``Like out there tonight, I wasn't focused on, What am I going to do here? I'm just trying to compete, get balls in, let's make the guy play, let's get a ball and hit it.'' :rolleyes:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/other_sports/13876469.htm

Best part of that article -- ESPN analyst Luke Jensen compared Roddick hunting for Federer to David Duval chasing Tiger Woods a few years ago.

That might be right on, Duval can't even make a cut now and is hailed as making progress when he hits only 10 over par in a round :lol:

bellascarlett
02-19-2006, 05:43 AM
MAC AND BJORK THROUGH TO FINALS! :woohoo:

McEnroe... :worship: ...Just excited for him...

federated
02-19-2006, 05:44 AM
did anyone watch aspelin/perry v goldstein/thomas? Curious as to how they are playing.

decrepitude
02-19-2006, 05:47 AM

American geography is not generally brilliant.

Don't worry, the English know Andy is Scottish - and we still support him!

nobama
02-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Congrats McEnroe and Bjork...................... The crowd was cheering for McEnroe, they weren't so quiet.You have to wonder if people now have a :ras: attitude regarding Roddick. The crowd really didn't do much to try and pump him up and get him back in the match. In fact, I think on a break point on Roddick's serve I heard someone shout out 'come on Murray' or sth like that.

amierin
02-19-2006, 05:53 AM
After Andy's outburst at the ump it got really quiet.

nobama
02-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Best part of that article -- ESPN analyst Luke Jensen compared Roddick hunting for Federer to David Duval chasing Tiger Woods a few years ago.

That might be right on, Duval can't even make a cut now and is hailed as making progress when he hits only 10 over par in a round :lol::lol: But Jensen is right. Andy needs to go back to his 'A' game that was working for him several years ago. He still probably won't beat Fed, but at least he should be able to beat players ranked lower than him.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:54 AM
You have to wonder if people now have a :ras: attitude regarding Roddick. The crowd really didn't do much to try and pump him up and get him back in the match. In fact, I think on a break point on Roddick's serve I heard someone shout out 'come on Murray' or sth like that.

I think you may be correct.

nobama
02-19-2006, 05:56 AM
After Andy's outburst at the ump it got really quiet.He was pissed at himself for the way he was playing and took it out on the ump. The ball in question looked like it might have been in, but it was way to close to call for an over rule.

mangoes
02-19-2006, 05:59 AM
He was pissed at himself for the way he was playing and took it out on the ump. The ball in question looked like it might have been in, but it was way to close to call for an over rule.

But, usually, the crowd will take the side of their player and even boo the umpire.

federated
02-19-2006, 06:01 AM
:lol: But Jensen is right. Andy needs to go back to his 'A' game that was working for him several years ago. He still probably won't beat Fed, but at least he should be able to beat players ranked lower than him.

But I think this is a big part of the problem. His A game may not be good enough anymore now that his serve has become readable and that the young guns are bringing games with more variety and imagination. Roddick's A Game is awfully predictable--and never was much more than the serve (and I guess some brutal forehands, too).

federated
02-19-2006, 06:03 AM
The crowd really didn't do much to try and pump him up and get him back in the match. In fact, I think on a break point on Roddick's serve I heard someone shout out 'come on Murray' or sth like that.

:lol: :lol: that's cold as ice. but very, very funny.

jackieglover
02-19-2006, 06:04 AM
He was pissed at himself for the way he was playing and took it out on the ump. The ball in question looked like it might have been in, but it was way to close to call for an over rule.

It looked clearly in on the replay, catching the inside of the baseline. :confused:

uNIVERSE mAN
02-19-2006, 06:20 AM
I cant believe Roddick is number 3 in the world! :mad: Thats what is ridiculous!

I can't believe Davydenko, Gaudio, Ferrer and Coria are top 10 players. The pickings are slim when it comes to good players these days.

Action Jackson
02-19-2006, 06:22 AM
I can't believe Davydenko, Gaudio, Ferrer and Coria are top 10 players. The pickings are slim when it comes to good players these days.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

williaer
02-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Andy :sad: Where is the real Andy Roddick? The one from 2003 that was always energetic, passionate, confident and the AR who played his game. Come back :awww:

njnetswill
02-19-2006, 06:37 AM
When was the last time Andy put a good tournament together? Wimbledon? :confused: :o

Allez
02-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Fabulous win Murray! Simply Fabulous. These are the sort of matches I wanted to see Andy play and come through. I have always wanted to see him play Roddick and most of all Hewitt! That has ingridients of being an explosive match, which, at this stage I would expect Hewitt to win. But today is not about that match. Today is about celebrating Andy's fantastic win over the world no. 3.

Andy, one is very pleased with your performance today. We wish you all the best against Hewitt.

nkhera1
02-19-2006, 06:40 AM
When was the last time Andy put a good tournament together? Wimbledon? :confused: :o

Even then he almost lost in the 2nd round.

Allez
02-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Roddick has been figured out, but will bounce back that's for sure. He just needs to sort out that backhand, his forward movement and volleying. Oh, putting in some slice serves every now and again wouldn't hurt either. Easier said than done, but not impossible. He's only 23.

nkhera1
02-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Roddick has been figured out, but will bounce back that's for sure. He just needs to sort out that backhand, his forward movement and volleying. Oh, putting in some slice serves every now and again wouldn't hurt either. Easier said than done, but not impossible. He's only 23.

Yeah its amazing he is ranked so high and yet he has so much of room for improvment.

mandoura
02-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Sure, this is a hard loss for A-Rod :sad: but given time, I sincerely hope he will pull through it.

:yeah: Good win for Murray.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-19-2006, 07:32 AM
I knew it.:hatoff: Now take the title:armed:

blosson
02-19-2006, 07:46 AM

Andy doesn't have much of a gameplan nowadays. Maybe it's time to change coaches. How is he going to sack his brother...

Federerthebest
02-19-2006, 07:48 AM
roddick's game hasn't improved much. still crap backhand, still crap volleys, still one-dimensional. the game is leaving him behind.

euroka1
02-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Andy doesn't have much of a gameplan nowadays. Maybe it's time to change coaches. How is he going to sack his brother...

lol :lol: That is a TALL order!

joeb_uk
02-19-2006, 10:09 AM
No surprise here! This year, and every following year roddick is going to have endless defeats like this! Since he got hammered in that first round, everyone now has the confidence to defeat andy! Its nice to see!

Good win murray :yeah: You have done a good job, on starting the landfall of roddick being out of the top 10!

joeb_uk
02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
I agree! After he got bashed about by muller, I was sure it wasnt a one off defeat! And from that, other players would figure him out and have the confidence to beat him! Although, I dont think he will bounce back :eek:

1sun
02-19-2006, 10:33 AM
holy crap i didnt expect this, congrats muzza, tough luck roddick.

almouchie
02-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Roddick is flattering & his game needs adjustment & improvement if he wants to win GS & Murray is improving.
he looks like he is the real deal, is the sense that he is talented with good weapons & a level head & more so the gutsy attitude & the desire to be top

LefandePatty
02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!!!!!! :woohoo: :bowdown: :banana:
Congratulations Andy !! :D :yeah: :aparty:

Winston's Human
02-19-2006, 11:30 AM

Roddick is ranked number three because all of the players below him in the top 10 also have glaring weaknesses and limitations.

This was probably true in the past, but Federer's all-around strenghth has really exposed the limitations of the other top 10ers.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
His attitude was mature aswell, looks very promising for this year, so top 20 here we come!:D

Neely
02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Good success for Murray of course, congrats to him! :yeah:

Andy R. :fiery: :shout:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Andy M! :yeah:

Dan's Racket
02-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Go Murray :woohoo:
I think Andy M will be a top 20 player this year.

thrust
02-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Andy needs a real strong coach, not a brother. Get real Andy!

Horatio Caine
02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Surprised but not shocked. Murray could clearly hurt him on the return but I thought his own serving would be weak enough to concede a break in each set.

Well done Muzza!!! Now peel the Potato! :devil: :devil:

croat123
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
he once again loses to the first half-decent player he faces :o

TheBoiledEgg
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
the Real question should be asked

would Duckboy have won the US Open when he did :o had he not been given 1000% better scheduling than all the others :rolleyes:

Raquel
02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Well done Andy! :bounce: :bounce:

Amazing win for him. Considering where he was just 8 months ago in the 400s he is really proving now he is not just hype and no substance, but here to stay.

Pea
02-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Dead.

Raquel
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I feel I had better bow to the illustrious Scottish trio of adeegee, Escude and Raquel on this one. ;)

;) :)

My crowing about Andy last year being more than just hype was out of hope more than certainty - but damnit, the kid's done good :D

And Sjengster, Andy really is changing the apathy towards tennis in Scotland. With Sky I can still get BBC1 Scotland and Andy was the first headline on the Scottish news. A slow news day, maybe, but he's definitely getting a lot of support.

euroka1
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Andy needs a real strong coach, not a brother. Get real Andy!

How about "cute max"? :)

Dirk
02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Murray is a great player. I saw him a few times and he just seems to be very smart so the write up praising his tactics and court sense is no surprise. He does have a great return and I think is stronger than Hewitt. I am still liking Hewitt's chances today but great event for Murray. He and Baggy are my faves among the new new balls, I just hope Murray gets more mature with his attitude on the court because I don't want another drama queen like the other Andy.

NicoFan
02-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Poor Andy R. :sad: :sad:

NicoFan
02-19-2006, 01:22 PM
On the coaching situation.

From the time I heard that his brother was "coaching" him, I knew it was a temporary situtation until he could find a regular coach.

Have patience - it will take awhile for him to make a deal with the right one. ;) And that's all good. :yeah: Don't want him rushing the decision.

*Viva Chile*
02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Andy :sad: Where is the real Andy Roddick? The one from 2003 that was always energetic, passionate, confident and the AR who played his game. Come back :awww:
Maybe he didn't find his mojo yet : :shrug:

WF4EVER
02-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I expected Roddick to lose, not only because Murray can play agood game but also Roddick has been exposed.

Frankly I think the quicker people accept that Roddick was and still is overhyped and has only a big serve (most of the time) the easier it will be to accept losses like this.

It is obvious that without his serve he is just like any average player, GS or not.

Nothing has changed since OZ 06, in fact nothing has changed since USO 05. He is a sitting duck (no pun intended) when he can't serve a ton of aces and service winners.

Jogy
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
he once again loses to the first half-decent player he faces :o
a bit like some Croatian players, right? ;) :lol:
Ljubicic top 10 player, few Mickey Mouse titles, loses when facing first good player and no performing in final rounds on big events (AMS finals, Grand Slam record very bad)

Aleksa's Laydee
02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
wow wow wow ANDY you rock!!! :bowdown:

*Viva Chile*
02-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Not just that but they've learned what works against Andy. Just block the ball back or throw junk at him which he has a hard time dealing with. I was kind of surprised the crowd didn't get into it more. It was almost like they didn't care if Roddick won or lost, or after losing the first set just assumed he'd lose the match. :shrug:
I love that it will happen in DC match against Chile and the americans will finish shouting: "CHI-CHI-CHI LE-LE-LE VIVA CHILE!!!!!" :D :haha:

:zzz: Dream a little dream of DC........... :singer:

revolution
02-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Remarkable, I didn't expect this, but boy is it a great moment for Andy M :)

No pressure in the final, he will enjoy the occasion!

Duncan
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
i stayed with my girlfriend last night and only found out about this this morning when i woke up but YAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL DONE ANDY MURRAY :D

Bilbo
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
No that much of a surprise. Roddick continues his career downfall (I'm saying this every week and I love it :D ).

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM

...maybe this is the real Pandy?? :p

Dirk
02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
...maybe this is the real Pandy?? :p

Andy said himself, summer of 03 was a hot streak but he is changing his game style and like I said before since he wasn't built on that kind of style it would do him in and it is.

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 02:39 PM

and consistency is highly underrated ;)

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 02:43 PM

now that's enough to start a war!! :p

ar1278
02-19-2006, 03:55 PM

Bart.
02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Damn Andy, you should have crushed that guy!! :mad: :fiery:

Scotso
02-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Murray :bounce:

prima donna
02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Everytime Roddick loses to a better player, everyone cries and whines about it. Some people even degrade the guy, he's simply not a Top 5 Caliber player and for years, during the weaker portion and USTA giving away gift portion he had enough to get the job done. Things have changed now.

It's not the coach's fault, it's not that he needs a psychologist, it's nothing, his game is just not so great. What more can you really say ? No backhand, nothing, amazing what the American Media has done to this guy. How unfair it is.

He's not that great of an athlete, where do people get these crazy expectations ? Are there good drugs available ? Is it wishful thinking ? When he loses, it's like, wow Andy ...
Your return is so much better.
Your backhand is totally great.
Your strategic play is so precise.

There is no way he can and should lose, there are few holes in Roddick's game and plenty in other players, after all, playing tennis with exclusively one side of your body is the key to superiority over all opponents. :rolleyes:

celia
02-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I expected Roddick to lose, not only because Murray can play agood game but also Roddick has been exposed.

Frankly I think the quicker people accept that Roddick was and still is overhyped and has only a big serve (most of the time) the easier it will be to accept losses like this.

It is obvious that without his serve he is just like any average player, GS or not.

Nothing has changed since OZ 06, in fact nothing has changed since USO 05. He is a sitting duck (no pun intended) when he can't serve a ton of aces and service winners.
i take your point. points. but i still did NOT expect him to lose to Murray. it's one thing for Baghdatis to deconstruct his game -- we saw that coming from the way Baggy was playing from the start of the tournament and with the quality of opponents he beat on the way to facing Roddick. but for Roddick to lose to Murray is just unacceptable. i'm not saying that Murray isnt talented. he is. i saw his talent at the inaugural Aberdeen Open. but Roddick is the THIRD BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. at this rate he's gonna be out of the top 10 by the end of the year. this is shameful. and with ever loss his self-confidence is gonna keep going down the toilet. and it won't matter who his coach is because he's gonna keep playing this defensive shit.

i guess i'm pissed off. Roddick lost to Murray????? someone wake me up please. this must be a bad dream.

Corey Feldman
02-19-2006, 04:54 PM
American geography is not generally brilliant.

Don't worry, the English know Andy is Scottish - and we still support him!Oh well, not that bothered... as long as the guy is sacked... hung, drawn and quartered
all is forgiven.

That might be right on, Duval can't even make a cut now and is hailed as making progress when he hits only 10 over par in a round off topic but the man in the wrap around shades was my all time fave golfer for years, no idea why that happened :sad:
altho recently he's been firing 7 under par rounds and making a few cuts :D
No that much of a surprise. Roddick continues his career downfall (I'm saying this every week and I love it :D ):lol:
should read some comments from earlier in the thread, hilarious shit..
Roddick should not lose matches to lower ranked players bla bla
why.. because he's Andy Roddick.

RogiFan88
02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I have to admit I do feel sorry for Pandy... a little bit. ;) [not easy to follow both AA and Pete and he does have all that pressure to exceed expectations... but what can you do? it's tough out there on the courts! oh well, he does have a slam so they can't take that away fr him]

LuckyAC
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I knew Andy would win.

tangerine_dream
02-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Anybody can beat a top player who has no confidence in himself.

stebs
02-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Great victory for Murray.

switz
02-19-2006, 08:50 PM
i don't really see why this is such a surprise. Roddick has lost three matches now to not so highly ranked players. Right now he's lost the spark in his game and he totally dependent on the effectiveness of his first serve. Anyone who can get in a rally with him who possesses decent ground strokes his doing pretty well.

I mean he lost a set 6-1 to Kenneth Carlson. I'm not writing him off either because he has a big lefty game but someone like Roddick should only really ever lose sets in a breaker to someone like Kenneth.

I think Roddick will find a way to be the player he was but i'm highly sceptical that his brother will be able bring out the best of him because the reality is that Andy is not some tactical genius - he needs someone like Roche or Peter Lundgren IMO.

WF4EVER
02-19-2006, 10:50 PM
i take your point. points. but i still did NOT expect him to lose to Murray. it's one thing for Baghdatis to deconstruct his game -- we saw that coming from the way Baggy was playing from the start of the tournament and with the quality of opponents he beat on the way to facing Roddick. but for Roddick to lose to Murray is just unacceptable. i'm not saying that Murray isnt talented. he is. i saw his talent at the inaugural Aberdeen Open. but Roddick is the THIRD BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. at this rate he's gonna be out of the top 10 by the end of the year. this is shameful. and with ever loss his self-confidence is gonna keep going down the toilet. and it won't matter who his coach is because he's gonna keep playing this defensive shit.

i guess i'm pissed off. Roddick lost to Murray????? someone wake me up please. this must be a bad dream.

He didn't see Muller coming in the USO last year either. Don't you realize that this is becoming a trend? It's not a once-in-a-while thing anymore. As long as you get that serve back in play you stand a good chance of winning that point unless you are an all-serve player like Roddick.

AS for being No. 3 that is due largely to that great year 2003 when he broke out, not to mention that the USO was scheduled to favour him. But that was a good year, indeed. Unfortunately for him since then he hasn't done enough to stay ahead of the pack. He may be No. 3 but he is not living up to it.

It all comes back to that serve. He's made the finals at Wimby twice and has lost to the eventual champion, Federer, three times in a row. It's because of his serve, but what happens when that serve isn't working the way he wants it to?

I totally agree with the people who say that he's not that great a player because he isn't. There's a lot more he needs to do in order to prevent himself from constant losses to the unexpected.

Roddick cannot beat a healthy Federer with that game; it's just too predictable. He really has to work hard to stay part of the conversation, otherwise he won't want to be part of the conversation for the depressing things they'll be saying about him.

In fact watching him play Sabau in the DC match you just got the feeling that if Sabau would have been more consistent he could have beaten him. He's just giving too much away, but maybe he can't do anything about it because of his limitations.

celia
02-20-2006, 05:00 PM
He didn't see Muller coming in the USO last year either. Don't you realize that this is becoming a trend? It's not a once-in-a-while thing anymore. As long as you get that serve back in play you stand a good chance of winning that point unless you are an all-serve player like Roddick.

AS for being No. 3 that is due largely to that great year 2003 when he broke out, not to mention that the USO was scheduled to favour him. But that was a good year, indeed. Unfortunately for him since then he hasn't done enough to stay ahead of the pack. He may be No. 3 but he is not living up to it.

It all comes back to that serve. He's made the finals at Wimby twice and has lost to the eventual champion, Federer, three times in a row. It's because of his serve, but what happens when that serve isn't working the way he wants it to?

I totally agree with the people who say that he's not that great a player because he isn't. There's a lot more he needs to do in order to prevent himself from constant losses to the unexpected.

Roddick cannot beat a healthy Federer with that game; it's just too predictable. He really has to work hard to stay part of the conversation, otherwise he won't want to be part of the conversation for the depressing things they'll be saying about him.

In fact watching him play Sabau in the DC match you just got the feeling that if Sabau would have been more consistent he could have beaten him. He's just giving too much away, but maybe he can't do anything about it because of his limitations.
OK i agree about the loss to Muller. that was just sucky. especially since Mueller didn't win another match. but the losses to Bhagdatis (who made it to the finals of the AO and actually took a set off Federer), and Murray (who also beat Hewitt to win his first official title) are a tad less embarassing IMO.

what i don't understand is where has Roddick's aggresstion gone. Pete Sampras game was also predictable, but that did not make it any less effective. everyone knows exactly what Agassi is going to do -- but he manages to beat a lot of people. so the predictability of Roddick's game is not necessarily the problem. his predictable game would work if it was based on a higher level of aggression. but the boy has become a shadow of his former self. all this chipping and slicing is not his game. his game is based on sheer power -- and he seems to be losing that. wtf is up with that?

stebs
02-20-2006, 07:59 PM
OK i agree about the loss to Muller. that was just sucky. especially since Mueller didn't win another match. but the losses to Bhagdatis (who made it to the finals of the AO and actually took a set off Federer), and Murray (who also beat Hewitt to win his first official title) are a tad less embarassing IMO.

what i don't understand is where has Roddick's aggresstion gone. Pete Sampras game was also predictable, but that did not make it any less effective. everyone knows exactly what Agassi is going to do -- but he manages to beat a lot of people. so the predictability of Roddick's game is not necessarily the problem. his predictable game would work if it was based on a higher level of aggression. but the boy has become a shadow of his former self. all this chipping and slicing is not his game. his game is based on sheer power -- and he seems to be losing that. wtf is up with that?

Good post and I agree with pretty much all of it.

No matter what people say "He's all serve" or whatever, he is still a threat because his serve is huge and he does have a big forehand. The problem is he has no plan B and people are figuring him out. He will still pose a threat to most players because wether they know whats coming or not it'll never be easy to return those big serves and he will still probably stay top 10 but I think his time as a top 5 player is going to come to an end fairly soon, if he fails to go deep in Wimby this year I think he will be in trouble.

R.Federer
02-20-2006, 08:46 PM
tough for American Andi, not the start to the year he would hope for - with A.O. performance, and change coaches, and not defending this title
But great for Scot Andi!

Bagelicious
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Good post and I agree with pretty much all of it.

No matter what people say "He's all serve" or whatever, he is still a threat because his serve is huge and he does have a big forehand. The problem is he has no plan B and people are figuring him out. He will still pose a threat to most players because wether they know whats coming or not it'll never :rolleyes: be easy to return those big serves and he will still probably stay top 10 but I think his time as a top 5 player is going to come to an end fairly soon, if he fails to go deep in Wimby this year I think he will be in trouble.

Not only does he not have a plan B, but he's not even executing plan A. As you say, even if his game is predictable, it's still dangerous. But now that he's not executing what he CAN do, other players realise that if they can unsettle him, he doesn't really have any backup.

A great result from Andy Murray though. I've been reserving my judgement on him because I wasn't sure if he was a lot of hype (British press :rolleyes: ) or if all the accolades from the press would get to him. Beating Roddick and Hewitt on the way to his first title confirms that he's definitely got what it takes.

uNIVERSE mAN
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
No surprise here! This year, and every following year roddick is going to have endless defeats like this! Since he got hammered in that first round, everyone now has the confidence to defeat andy! Its nice to see!

Good win murray :yeah: You have done a good job, on starting the landfall of roddick being out of the top 10!

roddick being out of the top 10 is impossible since Fed and Nadal **** all the points, there's nothing left for anyone else, so a couple of half decent semi's somewhere and he's top 5 easily.