The perfect match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The perfect match

casabe
02-17-2006, 01:52 AM
which is the match u will like the most between active players or not (example:gasquet Vs. borg); in which tournament and why?:)

stebs
03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Federer - Borg
Borg - Sampras
Sampras - Federer

All on grass.

Also, Guga at his best versus Rafa on clay.

Bancroft PS
06-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd love to see the following:

Chris Evert v Maureen Connolly---Mo Connolly won several majors before the age of 20 and had a career stopped by an accident. She was the hardest hitting baseliner of her era and it would be an interesting contrast to the tactical genius and greatest baseliner of the '70s. (any surface)

Bjorn Borg v Miloslav Mecir--Mecir owned Swedish baseliners in the mid 80s and would be interesting to see if he could defeat the best of them all. (clay or hardcourt) It would be a great contrast, Borg's vicious top spin strokes against the smooth, deceptive, compact, flat-hitting Mecir. Also, these two may have been the greatest movers in the Open era. Both had two of the best two handed backhands.

Rod Laver v Ivan Lendl--Lendl eventually surpassed McEnroe in their rivalry. It would've been interesting to see how McEnroe's idol would do against Ivan. Laver had better ground strokes than McEnroe and I think he'd handle Lendl even in his prime.(neutral surface like hardcourt)

Pete Sampras v Roger Federer--It's been mentioned that they faced off already, but that wasn't the dominating Sampras of the mid 90s. I think Sampras on his best day would still beat Federer. Federer doesn't face many serve and volleyers and has had difficulty in the past against Henman. (grass)

Pancho Gonzalez v Andre Agassi--Pancho's legacy is unfortunately obscured by his time in the pros. He was the toughest, so said many Aussie greats. Pancho's serve and volley game against the hardest hitting baseliner. (give Andre a wooden racquet and on a neutral surface)

Stan Smith/Bob Lutz v Bryan Brothers--Smith & Lutz were my all time favorite doubles team and it would be interesting to see them against the Bryans. Lutz was one of the best at the angled volley.

Jim Courier
07-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Berasategui d Puerta, RG final
Courier d Safin, AO final
Edberg d Sampras, USO final
Becker d Federer, Wimbledon final
Leconte d Nadal, Davis Cup final's 5th match at home on clay at RG (i know that would be a stupid choice of surface).

All of this in 5 sets with players at their absolute best.

Tennis Fool
07-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Sampras v. Safin at the US Open...oh, that already happened :p

enzogiovanni
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I would like to see (let's imagine we could get this guys playing their best tennis):

McEnroe - Edberg on grass (I think I would just faint from all the touches and class)
Lendl - Federer on hard
Muster - Nadal on clay (someone would die on the court for sure)

Navratilova - Novotna on grass

dudi_fan
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
MACenroe NADAL!!!!

dudi_fan
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
mac and andy MURRRAY!!!!!

Dancing Hero
10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Borg-Federer Wimbledon
McEnroe-Federer Wimbledon
Borg-Laver Wimbledon
Borg-Federer US Open
Connors-Laver US Open
Connors-Federer US Open
McEnroe-Federer US Open
Lendl-Federer US Open
Borg-Nadal French Open
Lendl-Federer French Open

Voo de Mar
10-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Dent - Siemerink, Roland Garros, central court.

Because on clay is more and more rallies from the baseline. It would be only "serve & volley" match :devil:

samn
10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
I would like to see (let's imagine we could get this guys playing their best tennis):

McEnroe - Edberg on grass (I think I would just faint from all the touches and class)

How about a mixed doubles match featuring Edberg/Mandlikova against Nastase/Goolagong (all in their primes) with Edberg and Goolagong's "nice" factor balancing out their partners' "wacko" behaviour?

samn
10-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Connors v. Hewitt, first on Hewitt's home turf (Australian Open) followed by a rematch at the US Open. Talk about playing ugly and gamesmanship! ;)

boka
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I 'd like to see Federer vs. Edberg or Federer vs Becker on grass.

I think they would give him run for his money and I could watch Edberg - Becker every day for the rest of my life.

zanza67
10-26-2006, 11:06 PM
gras: federer (03-06)-sampras(97-00)
borg (76-81)-sampras

clay: nadal (05-06)-muster(95-96)