***SAP Open*** [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

***SAP Open***

OddJob
02-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Andy makes he's way onto U.S. hard courts. :) Not a bad 1st rnd for him tho. Mardy did beat Andy the last time they played. Mardy is making his way back from injury and hasn’t won a match yet. Andy better win this one or else. :armed: It doesn't get much easier from there. Next is in form James but let's take one match at a time.

Go Go Andy!!!! :bounce:

Duncan
02-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Good luck Andy, here's hoping you can win! :)

Aleksa's Laydee
02-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Horrible draw I want them both to win :sad:

Sweet4Richard
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Good Luck to Andy :bounce:
(But I really wanted Mardy to have a nice tournament, I'm torn!)

Danika
02-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Good luck Andy!

shyscots25
02-14-2006, 03:19 AM
if he can't beat the fish fresh from dodgy last season form and two operations he deserves a good battering in my opinion! Andy must win this and i expect it to be two close sets to Andy!

Just by the way, has he had a hair cut yet? He definitely needs one, looks like it hard birds nesting in it last time i saw him, lol!

On in an hour or so depending on current match, come on Andy!!!

xxxtennisfanxxx
02-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Andy won 6-2 6-2 :)

OddJob
02-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Nice thrashing given out by Andy. Granted Mardy isn't at his best so this was pretty much a given. If James makes it to the next rnd that's going to be a big test. Keeping my finger crossed for that one.

decrepitude
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
That's more like it, Andy! Come on, make a name for yourself against Blake (not that I dislike Blake, he just happens to be in the way!)

(That is if Blake wins his match, of course!):unsure:

Sweet4Richard
02-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Andy :woohoo: Nice win!

Raquel
02-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Well done Andy :yeah:
Good to hear he is happy with his form again :)

Danika
02-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Great job Andy!!Good luck in your next match!It will be tough if it's Blake!But lets hope for the best

gaynor
02-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Andy won his doubles as well 6-4 6-4 :worship:

OddJob
02-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Andy on a roll! Hasen't dropped a set yet. :)

MrExcel
02-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Wang beat Blake 6-3 7-5 and is Andy's next opponent!

shyscots25
02-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Huge shock that wang beat blake, but should be better for Andy. Curiously if you check the atp website you will find to your surprise that andy and wang have played before! Apparently Wang beat Andy at Surbiton (on grass obviously) in 2004. Not sure that that is entirely relevant, but he does seem to be moving up the rankings himself. He could well cause Andy problems, but if it was a choice between blake and the saudi born wang, we will take wang any day!

Here's hoping he can do it, and if you look ahead, Andy's potential quarter final opponent would likely be soderling (who andy beat last year) or robredo who i also think Andy can beat and who hasn't had a great year yet either! There is no doubting Andy has some chances here, but let's not get too carried away. First up Wang probably early hours of friday morning our time! He isn't on the order of play for wednesday!

Let's hope he can keep the good form going!

OddJob
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
James losing is good news for Andy. This is Andy's match to win me thinks.

Duncan
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
it sure is, but lets not get over confident! a quarter final appearance would be awesome though!

Sweet4Richard
02-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Congrats on the doubles win :bigclap:

It was going to be hard for me to root for Andy over James, but at least I won't have this problem now. Come on Andrew!! Make your first quarterfinal of 2006 :)

Andy :banana:

RogiFan88
02-16-2006, 02:01 AM
15 February 2006 22:01 Home > Sport > Tennis
Murray rediscovers form to avenge reverse by Fish
By Derrick Whyte
Published: 15 February 2006

Andy Murray cruised into the second round of the SAP Open in San Jose with a comfortable straight-sets win over Mardy Fish while his fellow Briton Greg Rusedski also won his first-round match in Marseilles yesterday.

Murray avenged a defeat in his only other match against the American * in three sets in Indianapolis last year * with a 6-2, 6-2 win. He fired down five aces and was broken only once while he converted six of his 11 break-point chances.

"That's the best match I've played this year so far," said the 18-year-old. "I feel like I'm hitting well and moving well. I've practised a lot in the last couple of weeks and I was happy with my serve tonight.

"Since I played him last year, this time I knew his strengths and weaknesses * and it helped me get my position early in the rally. I was aggressive on the right balls and I was taking risks and I played a really solid match. I'm really happy with how it went."

In the Marseilles Open, Rusedski won 6-3, 6-2, against the Frenchman, Nicolas Thomann. The Briton took the initiative early in the match, breaking his opponent and serving up eight first-set aces.

The British No 2's serve continued to dominate in the second set and he completed an easy victory on the back of two breaks.

Slovakia's Karol Beck, banned from the game for two years on Monday after a positive drugs test, claims an acquaintance spiked his drinks in a night-club.

In a tearful press conference yesterday, Beck, who plans to appeal against the ban, denied taking performance-enhancing products. He said: "I was at a nightclub with members of Slovakia's professional tennis circle," he said. "I never thought something like this could happen, but I have my suspicions who it was that did this to me. I have my reasons. I think someone did this to me on purpose. Slovaks are jealous of success.

"I hope the sentence will at least be reduced," he said. "But I have to keep practising, stay strong, have faith."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article345447.ece

keep_er_lit!
02-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Blake and Robredo are now both out - so Andy's side of the draw is wide open, if he plays well.

shyscots25
02-17-2006, 07:00 AM
ANDY WINS AGAIN!!!!! Great news to wake up too!

He now plays soderling who he BEAT last year in thailand. Won't be easy, he won on two tiebreaks last time, and should be close, but it is a good matchup for andy as soderling is the type of player andy can handle i am sure!

A semi with Roddick would be brilliant; so let's hope for another win tonight!!!! He is scheduled to play last in the afternoon session!

Come on Andy!

MurrayFan1
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Go on Murray, get in my son!

OddJob
02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Great job Andy esp winning it in str8s. Take Robin down!

stebs
02-17-2006, 11:43 AM
It's been a very good draw for Murray. He needs to take advantage of it and beat Soderling.

xxxtennisfanxxx
02-17-2006, 11:59 PM
He beats Söderling 4-6 7-5 6-4 :worship:

OddJob
02-18-2006, 03:02 AM
:woohoo: What a tough match for Andy but I'm so glad he made it through. What a juicey semi if Arod makes it. Andy can def stay with Arod in the back court it's just the holding serve part and breaking that could get him into trouble.

Best Of Luck in the Semis! :)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-18-2006, 05:39 AM
:woohoo::yeah: Take him down and win it all, man!:)

shyscots25
02-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Yep great victory, and even better news is we can watch his semi against Roddick on eurosport!!!

Get your alarms set for 3am roughly i think, it will be well worth it! Roddick is definitely still vulnerable at the moment! Realistically we can't expect Andy to win, but well, i have a fair bit of hope he could run him close.

Great stuff so far, its up to him to keep it going!!!

decrepitude
02-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I read on another board that Eurosport are only going to show the Hewitt match, I don't know if that is right.

It doesn't affect me anyway - I haven't got Eurosport!

Well done to Andy, a tough, gritty match when he must have been tired. Playing doubles may not be a good idea in the smaller tournaments where he has a chance to get to the final stages. With another doubles match inbetween (even though a 2 set loss) he is hardly going into the match with A-rod fresh.

Aleksa's Laydee
02-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Andy Andy Andy :woohoo:

Duncan
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Come on Andy, you can beat the other Andy :D lol

Raquel
02-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Well done Andy :woohoo:

Danika
02-18-2006, 11:15 PM
great job Andy!And good luck against Andy Roddick!

OddJob
02-19-2006, 03:52 AM
WoWie Wow Wow Andy def Arod in str8s!!!!!!!!!! :worship: What a great match for Andy! I'm pretty much speechless. His 2nd tour final and this time he has C'mon in the final. C'mon hasne't been playing that well this year. This is such a good chance for Andy to win his first title. I can't wait for the final!

Best of Luck Andy take the title!!!!!!! :bounce:

Alexandy
02-19-2006, 04:10 AM
This is my first post.

Woo hoo!! Go, Andy. I was rooting for ARod (I know I should just give up on him; I still have hope though. Sigh). But I really like Murray too. I hope he beats Lleyton. Win it all, Andy.

OddJob
02-19-2006, 04:14 AM
This is my first post.

Woo hoo!! Go, Andy. I was rooting for ARod (I know I should just give up on him; I still have hope though. Sigh). But I really like Murray too. I hope he beats Lleyton. Win it all, Andy.

Welcome! :wavey: Arod will be ok he's just going through a rough patch right now it happens to the best of them.

tennisforumsname
02-19-2006, 05:11 AM
i got to see three of andy's matches (one on monday against fish, and the other in the quarters against soderville yesterday)- i wasn't too impressed with him in the soderville match for the first half, but he definitely stepped up his level to win the thing. then later on he lost in doubles (there were about 200 people in the crowd at this point since it was already 11pm, so i felt kind of bad for them.)

anyways, i got to stand in the elevator with him and his agent for like 2-3 minutes! haha. i was too surprised to say anything, but the people with him were friendly at least. :)

decrepitude
02-19-2006, 05:30 AM
I am stunned, speechless. I really didn't think he would be able to do it after the last 3 days gruelling schedule.

:bounce: :woohoo: :bowdown:

Come on Andy, if you can take Roddick you can take Hewitt too!

xxxtennisfanxxx
02-19-2006, 05:57 AM
Very nice victory for Murray. I hope he can beat Hewitt too for his first tournament victory. Anyone watched the match?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Andeeehhhhhh!!!! Now rip this old dad a new one:yeah: After watching Hewitt's match yesterday, I can say that the match is 50/50

keep_er_lit!
02-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know what to say. Something like this perhaps:

:worship: :dance: :woohoo: :hatoff: :rocker: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce:

Fantastic victory Andy, good luck in the final!

keep_er_lit!
02-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Do any of you Brits know if the BBC will show any highlights of the final, like they did when Andy reached the final of Bangkok? Any information muuuuuch appreciated.

Dan's Racket
02-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Do any of you Brits know if the BBC will show any highlights of the final, like they did when Andy reached the final of Bangkok? Any information muuuuuch appreciated.
I want to know this too. :confused:
Is there anywhere on the net showing it?

Dan's Racket
02-19-2006, 09:26 AM
It's on Eurosport 2 @ midnight, so 11pm GMT

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow!:eek: That match was impressive! But in the end it was a bit close, too close with those 2 DFs while serving for the match.:o

Really confident that he can outtake Hewitt aswell!:)

Minnie
02-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Really surprised to see the result this morning ... :worship: :bounce: but just wanted to add my congrats to Andy - fantastic win - will be keeping everything x'd for the final. To all those that will be able to see it .... enjoy! :wavey:

Dirk
02-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Great job Andy. I too would like to see how he handle Andy's serve and how he outplayed him during the rallies.

Aleksa's Laydee
02-19-2006, 01:48 PM
wow wow wow ANDY!!!!!! :woohoo: Congrats

mark_s
02-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Grab that first ATP title Murray!

Trivial
02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Do you think there is any chance that the BBC will show the match tonight? They showed the match between Murray and Henman a while back, because it was seen as a conisderable stepping stone, hopefully they will see this in a similar light. Cant wait though, would love to see him get his first ATP title! :)

Duncan
02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Do you think there is any chance that the BBC will show the match tonight? They showed the match between Murray and Henman a while back, because it was seen as a conisderable stepping stone, hopefully they will see this in a similar light. Cant wait though, would love to see him get his first ATP title! :)

I highly doubt it but i don't mind cos i have eurosport 2 where it def is gonna be shown :D

Though it would be nice for the bbc to try and get this one on live

Bogofan
02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I've contacted the Beeb and unfortunately they're not doing highlights or coverage of the match :sad:

Hewitt will be a tough match but if Andy serves and returns as well as he did last night v Roddick then I reckon he's got a great shot. About time a British player beat Hewitt

Trivial
02-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I've contacted the Beeb and unfortunately they're not doing highlights or coverage of the match

Thanks for that information, annoying though :sad:

Yea i would love to see a British player beat Hewitt, and likewise, i think he can. Will probably be in three sets, with chances for both players to take it, but going on his last few matches i see no reason why Murray cant win tonight.

Mount Goddess
02-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Good luck Andy:worship:

shyscots25
02-19-2006, 07:39 PM
No doubts about it, Andy did us proud last night. It was well worth the late night and a bleary eyed shift at work today. Mercifully the game tonight is at a more amenable hour!!

Who cares about beeb coverage, it is live on eurosport!!!!! 11pm according to the schedule. Can't wait to see the match, last time i saw Andy play was his capitulation to Chela which was a sore thing to take when getting up in the middle of the night!

Andy should play well, which is all that matters to me. Hewitt's natural game should suit Andy as he will always be in the points, it will just be a question if he can match hewitt's competitiveness, and i feel he can. Hewitt hasn't dropped a set, but to be perfectly frank he hasn't had any opposition this week. Murray will test him and his ankle!!

Let's hope we all remember San Jose as the place of Murray's first ATP win, and look forward to more to come!

Good luck Andy!!!

musefanatic
02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Good luck Andy! :) :)

Danika
02-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow great job Andy!!!I really hope that he can beat Lleyton in the finals!I think if he can beat Andy Roddick then he can beat Lleyton!So good luck Andy you can do it :yeah:!

Duncan
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
ANDY YOU LEGEND! :D

keep_er_lit!
02-20-2006, 12:38 AM
:woohoo:

Andy beat Hewitt 2-6 6-1 7-6

He was incredibly mature - he had 2 MP's, both of which were saved by aces, but really kept his cool when it came to the tie break. Well done!

Sweet4Richard
02-20-2006, 12:52 AM
:woohoo: Andy!!! I was away this weekend but this is so great for him. I'm thrilled with his first ATP title!! I'm going to watch the match in a few hours. I'm so happy :bounce:

shyscots25
02-20-2006, 01:05 AM
I just finished watching the match, and at times i had to pinch myself to believe what i was seeing. Murray played with tremendous quality, even in the first set i thought. His groundstrokes at times had me leaping about, they were just a joy to behold. Much has been written about murray, much hype, and also a fair degree of cynicism from those who snipe at the possibility of a new british tennis hero who could be a player right at the apex of the world game. Many questioned his fitness, rightly so. But many also doubted his ability to be a top player. After tonight i have few doubts myself. You can see where his game needs work, his second serve is still too weak, and while his first serve bit home hard he needs to work hard to keep the percentage up. All these things will come and make him an even more complete and formidable opponent.

Andy did us proud tonight. We can't expect him to win every tournament and who knows what will happen in the next few weeks in USA, but long term he has demonstrated his talent can tame those at the top. Hewitt wasn't at his best, but Andy did not let him. I have seen Hewitt boss so many players, it was brilliant to watch Andy boss him from the back of the court, making him take shots early and hit the net, or just hold into points with tame returns hoping murray would make the error. He hit very few winners tonight. All round it was a great game!!

Andy's girlfriend is quite tasty too!!

But for us all Andy needs to do something: CHEER UP!!

He could do with a little fine tuning to his victory speeches, but that will come, let's hope we don't have to wait too long.

Awesome!!!! Well Done Andy!!!

:worship: :bigclap: :dance: :woohoo:

Luna
02-20-2006, 04:22 AM
He beat Roddick it was a big surprise.After winning over Hewitt and lifting his first trophy,it's how I should say...unbelieveable!!
You rock! :worship: :woohoo:

OddJob
02-20-2006, 04:43 AM
:banana: :woohoo: Andy! :woohoo: :banana: What a great week for him. First getting through a tough fight with Robin. Then upsetting Arod in str8's. Now his first ATP title. :) This was his coming out tourney.

Well done Andy keep up the great play!!!!!!! :bigclap:

xxxtennisfanxxx
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Amazing Andy. A new star is born :eek:

Aleksa's Laydee
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Awesoooooooooooooooooooooome!!!! No other word describes it!!! :woohoo: :bowdown:

xxxtennisfanxxx
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Somebody has the match stats winners, unforced errors...?

Mount Goddess
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
:worship: Well done Andy!:worship:

brit_ace_becca
02-20-2006, 07:32 PM
:worship: andy murray :worship:

great win...the boy done good :woohoo:

Danika
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow im so happy for Andy!!The fact that he just won his first title is awsome!And he beat Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt!!What a great week for Andy!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I just know that he had over 20 BH winners:eek: So I would say about 40 incl. aces.:yeah:

musefanatic
02-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I know it's really late but i just want to congratulate andy on his win. Staying up till quarter to two was certainly worth every bit of it. Amazing win and hope there's many more titles to come :) ;)

tangerine_dream
03-09-2006, 01:54 AM
I made a torrent of Andy's semifinal match with Roddick if anyone's interested.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3182298&postcount=2890

I'll try to get the Hewitt final up by this weekend. :wavey:

edit
The torrent of Andy's match vs Hewitt at SAP Open is now available:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3207887&postcount=2970