Eggy must be nervous! Argentina can go into Moscow and beat the Russians in DC! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Eggy must be nervous! Argentina can go into Moscow and beat the Russians in DC!

the cat
08-05-2002, 03:16 AM
With the great tennis Canas and Nalbandian have played recently. And with the terrible tennis Safin and Kafelnikov have played recently, don't be surprised to see Argentina go into Moscow and beat Russia in the upcoming Davis Cup semifinal! :eek: Poor Eggy! :( What once looked like an easy Tie against Argentina, is now at best a toss up for Russia! :(

And playing on carpet won't mean much. Canas and Nalbandian have proven that they can play off the clay! ;)

It may come down to who wins the doubles wins the Tie. Who does Argentina have for the doubles team? I would think Safin and Kafelnikov would have the edge in doubles. But asking Kafelnikov to beat either Canas or Nalbandian is asking alot. And asking Safin, who generally plays poorly in Davis Cup, to win both his singles matches, is asking alot.

What once seemed like a certainty that Russia would be in the Davis Cup Finals, is now in great jeapordy! :eek: I definately want to see Russia win the Davis Cup this year. But with Argentina looking so strong, things just got tougher for the Russians! :mad:

And didn't Argentina already beat Russia in the World Team Cup Final this year? I think they did. So they already have a psychological edge on the Russians! :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
08-05-2002, 03:21 AM
I'm not worried at all ;)

Zhenya in Moscow is unbeatable on the carpet
Marat will bring his A game out, no Sun/heat to make him mad

We will still win

the cat
08-05-2002, 03:23 AM
But it will be much tougher than you originally thought. Right?

TheBoiledEgg
08-05-2002, 03:25 AM
a little but theres no harm in that

looking forward to the tie.

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 03:34 AM
Well, cat, I think it's interesting that Nalbandian has never been asked to play for his Davis Cup team, and still may not be top choice for this team.

Yes Argentina defated Russia 3-0 at World Team Cup, but that was on clay. Nalbandian hasn't played on indoor carpet yet (tour level), and Cañas has a poor indoor record (1-2 last year alone). I agree with Eggy, Jenya wants this more than anything and I think he can motivate the team to want it as well. Marat seems to be on the up-and-up, and they are playing doubles in the tournaments leading up to the tie so they can get used to each other.

All in all, I'd say a good strategy. I think the Russians will still win it.

safin_fan
08-05-2002, 03:37 AM
Mikhail can beat Canas
Safin can beat Nalbandian, Chela

I see no problem!

Now us the USA have problems! No one can beat Grosjean,Clement, or Escude!

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by safin_fan
Now us the USA have problems! No one can beat Grosjean,Clement, or Escude!

AND WE'RE TAKING PETE!! Talk about brain cramps and kissing up . . .

safin_fan
08-05-2002, 03:48 AM
LOL! He can't even win on grass anymore.

Lucas Arg
08-05-2002, 05:29 AM
Canas and Nalbandian in Davis Cup will be interesting;)

Vamos Argentina:bounce:

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 07:07 AM
I do look forward to seeing how David will play indoors.

Even though they are good on fast surfaces too, as proven (Toronto was playing quite fast I heard), it appears the Russians are stil favoured.

When is the last time that Kafelnikov lost on the surface? 1975 or something ;)

He will pump up his team and they will win.

I would be shocked at an upset, but it is harder than one would have thought.

With a good draw, Argentina should contend for the cup the next 5 years at least.

the cat
08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Eggy, you're not a worried as I thought you'd be! :eek: If Safin is confident and in good form by the Davis Cup semifinals, then Russia should win. But if he isn't is good form, then watch out! :eek: Argentina could end up in the 2002 Davis Cup Finals. It is a realistic possibility at this point.

Nimi
08-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Ya but im pretty sure France will defend their Davis Cup title

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 06:47 PM
the cat - I would be surprised if Safin comes out in tank mode, know how much this means to Yevgeny.

TheBoiledEgg
08-05-2002, 06:48 PM
our places never refuse to play for the country unlike .......... ;)

Catriel
08-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Gattiker, the Argentina´s Capitain has a problem to choose the players cause there are a lot in a great moment :bounce:

But the obvious choose is:
Guillermo Cañas = The #1 argentinian today, and who has defeated Kafelnikov too many times, in different places.
Gaston Gaudio = He get´s bigger when he puts the white and blue flag on his shoulders. I mean, he is a perfect player for Davis, he loves the public when is local, and he doesn´t get intimated when visitor. And he get´s stronger when playing for the cup
Lucas Arnold & Gastón Etlis = They are a great team, they play together since long ago, and they also can play any surface.

Indoor, and carpet... will be tough... But they know that all the people from Argentina will have bothe eyes on them, all their hopes in them, waiting a piece of joy since those painfull and sad 2 last years in this country and waiting for a happiness that ..... we didn´t get in Corea-Japón 2002.
All the hopes that we had in the fútbol (soccer) team are now in our tennis team. Remember that they were the first to use the shirt with the colours of the country, and since last year they idea will be obligatory!

I know that Russia is more powerfull, maybe the best team with those 2 giant stars there (Marat and Yevgevny) but ... Argentina will have a chance.... a big chance

bye! :wavey:

tennischick
08-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Russia may hve 2 giants but Argentina has a slew of talented giant slayers...;) (GS!!!)

go Argentina!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

nothing personal Egg...:o

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 02:36 AM
I dont see why they wouldnt pick David, who is their number 2 ranked player, and has proven he plays well on fast surfaces (Wimbledon, Toronto was playing very fast)

Lucas Arg
08-06-2002, 03:25 AM
First of all, David Nalbandian never played on carpet indoors but he has very good results in his 1st appearance of the big tournaments:
U S Open 2001 4th Round
Wimbledon 2002 Runner up

He is not a claycourt player, when he was a child his grandfather made a hardcourt (cement) for the family so David is very familiar to this kind of surfaces. I think he can do great on carpet, he loves to play fast and to volley.

Gattiker makes his pics one week before the Davis Cup, he always take a look the latest results, so we have to wait and see how the boys do in Cincinatti and Us Open.

Canas is sure in the team, not only cos' he beat Safin and Kafelnikov on hardcourts or because he won a TMS, is because he also play doubles very well.

Catriel is right about Gaudio and his high performance on Davis Cup, he is really great, but my doubt is how Gaudio can adapt his game on hardcourts, he has to play very well in this tournaments for being a singlist against Russia.

Nalbandian as I said before has very good chances to play.

Chela can play well also on hardcourts, he also has Davis Cup experience in Buenos Aires. But his results lately are not very good. He lost today in Cincinatti to Guillermo Coria (another great argentinean player).

To make a list for the lastest performances the team should be:

Guillermo Canas (singles & doubles)
David Nalbandian (singles)
Gaudio or Chela (reserve)
Lucas Arnold (doubles)

This could be the team:)

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 03:46 AM
I hope you are right, David deserve to be there :)

Lindsayfan
08-08-2002, 09:58 AM
i think Russia will beat easily Argentina cos of the surface..on carpet in Moscow Kafel is unbeatable,he has great motivations when he plays DC.and Safin will do his job winning his matches.if they played on hard court or clay,i would pick Argentina,but on carpet Russia is clearly the favourite.
my prediction: Russia b. Argentina 4-1!

Niminator:agree with u,France will defend his title,they can play home both semifinals and final so... ;)

Ace Tracker
08-08-2002, 10:07 AM
I still doubt that Patrick McEnroe will call on Sampras for the tie in Paris...watch for an honourable excuse for Sampras absence, maybe an injury or schedule or even Agassi's return...:eek:

Lindsayfan
08-08-2002, 10:21 AM
Agassi already said he wont play DC again.i'm sure Mc Enroe will call Sampras for semi,he's still the second best player Usa has beside Roddick.

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ace Tracker
I still doubt that Patrick McEnroe will call on Sampras for the tie in Paris...watch for an honourable excuse for Sampras absence, maybe an injury or schedule or even Agassi's return...:eek:

PattyMac is too busy sucking up to Pete to not call him for DC, even though Pete lost on his best and favorite surface, grass, to a man who was only playing his fourth career grass match. :rolleyes:

Agassi is not going to play DC. I would hope he'd pull someone with good clay court prowess, but that doesn't usually run in the American blood.

tennischick
08-09-2002, 01:29 AM
The Rise and Rise of Argentina

When Russia beat Sweden and Argentina defeated Croatia in April’s quarterfinals, the general view was that Russia would be the hot favourite for its home semifinal against the clay-loving South Americans. But not any more.

Since the team led by Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov made it clear they would opt for a quick carpet for the tie in Moscow’s Luzhniki indoor arena, things have gone rather well for Argentina. In the past three months the nation which has posted its best results on clay has posted some highly impressive ones on quicker surfaces, and will most likely travel to Russia with two top-20-ranked singles players, one in the top 10.

Heading the Argentinian challenge will be Guillermo Cañas, the 24-year-old from Buenos Aires who made a superb comeback last year after missing much of 2000 with a left wrist injury, and is continuing it this year.

Last week he beat four of the world’s top 10 players to win his third and biggest title, the Tennis Masters Toronto. Playing in extreme heat and humidity which saw the ball fly fast through the air, Cañas served a warning to the Russians by beating Kafelnikov and Safin on successive days without dropping a set.

While Kafelnikov, who is strongly fixated on Davis Cup this year, has not been playing well of late, Safin is the year’s second-best player, and Cañas’s demolition job was so effective it left the top Russian telling the press: “I have no confidence, he made me play too safe, my confidence was dropping, dropping, dropping.”

Cañas, known to some players as Willie, said: “It’s important that I beat two very good players, it will help our confidence when the Davis Cup semi-final comes, but it’ll be a faster court, a different situation, and there will be 12,000 Russians in the crowd.”

Safin, too, said the events of Toronto would have little relevance in the Luzhniki. “It has nothing to do with it, Davis Cup is a different story,” he said. “You can’t compare what happens at an ATP event to Davis Cup.”

Maybe not, but it’s not just about Cañas. Since April’s quarterfinals David Nalbandian has reached the Wimbledon final, and with a run to the quarterfinals in Toronto, he stands a good chance of making his Davis Cup debut in the Moscow semi. He says Argentina’s captain Alejandro Gattiker won’t indicate who will play singles in Moscow until just before the US Open, four weeks before the tie, but Nalbandian must be favourite to play on the opening day. When asked if he wanted to play, he smiled and said: “What do you think?!”

If Nalbandian does play, it’ll mean a reduced role for the loyal Gaston Gaudio, who is unbeaten in eight Davis Cup rubbers, four this year. He has also been in great form in recent weeks, reaching the semi-finals or better in three successive post-Wimbledon events, but all were on clay (Gstaad, Amersfoort and Kitzbühel), and unless he improves on hardcourts before the end of the US Open, he could be marginalised.

That could also happen to another player who featured against both Australia and Croatia this year, Juan-Ignacio Chela. His impressive early year form has faltered, but a good run at the US Open could see him making the trip to Moscow. The same goes for Nalbandian’s former room-mate from junior days Guillermo Coria.

The smart money must still be on Russia to win, though less convincingly than originally thought. “They are the favourites for sure,” says Cañas, “they chose the court.”

And if the court proves lightning fast, it could limit one of Cañas’s biggest weapons, his ability to retrieve seemingly impossible balls. That could be the real home advantage for Russia, but Cañas still has a superb reading of the opponent’s serve, a great ability to move players around the court, and a knack of knowing when to go to the net, all of which served him well in Toronto.

Forming his country’s top doubles team with Lucas Arnold, he may – like Kafelnikov and Safin – have to play on all three days of the semifinal, but that doesn’t worry him. “I feel great about that. I know I’ll be playing the doubles, and we’ll see if I play in singles, and if it’s one match or two.”

With Argentina making headlines in January and February for its economic crisis and the devaluation of the peso, there’s a major onus on the country’s sports stars to give the folks back home something to cheer. “It’s tough,” says Cañas, “and very upsetting. I have family and friends, people I love, who have a very tough situation. I am very lucky to earn my money outside the country. It’s a good country, and we had many good years economically, but the next three or four years will be tough.”

There will certainly be support from home, and one Davis Cup innovation Argentina has enthusiastically embraced will help. When they take the court in Moscow, Cañas and co will be clad in the famous light-blue and white stripes of the South American nation. Many people will watch in Argentina,” he says. When we pull on the T-shirt for our country, it’s a great feeling for all of us.”

source: davis cup newsletter

Nina
08-28-2002, 12:51 PM
I just called to order the tickets for the tie and the lady who answered the phone told me that the players will be:
Russia (as usually) :
KAfelnikov
Safin
Youzhny
Stoliarov

Argentina:
Chela
Nalbandian
Gaudio
Arnold

AdriRob
08-28-2002, 01:32 PM
It's going to be very interesting to see David playing in different conditions...you know, surface, weather......crowd...

I think argentina has a huge change to beat Russia...if I were Eggy I would be worried about it.
when argentinian players play representing their country things change and they can pull out power and good game from nowhere.

It's going to be a really nice battle to see

Good luck for the Safin & David....
:)

TheBoiledEgg
08-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Zhenya & Marat will turn into Indoor Monsters :D

i got no worries :)

Nina have a good time there and cheer the boys on :D

Nina
08-28-2002, 03:05 PM
I will :)

Lucas Arg
08-29-2002, 05:19 AM
Now with Canas out, the chances are not the same, I trust Gaudio, he is amazing when he plays Davis Cup and he cares about it more than any Slam event.

I trust the argentinian team, I know they can beat Russia.

GO BOYS:wavey::bounce: :wavey: