Roddick Fires Goldfine!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick Fires Goldfine!!!

sagroove
02-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Guys:

Just got the word this evening...it's official...Andy Roddick has dismissed Dean Goldfine as his coach effective immediately. Andy's brother John Roddick will assume the coaching duties full time!!!

SAGroove

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 01:49 AM
:eek:

partygirl
02-08-2006, 01:57 AM
well there you go.

Fee
02-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Okay, I know some of you are going to jump on SA, but remember she (he?) has been right before, so let's just wait and see what happens.

superpinkone37
02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Exactly what I was thinking, Fee. I guess we'll see this weekend.

tangerine_dream
02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Sagroove, where did you hear this?

I'm shocked. :eek:

and I shouldn't be.

sagroove
02-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Sagroove, where did you hear this?

I'm shocked. :eek:

and I shouldn't be.

I cannot reveal my sources but PLEASE trust me, it is 100% factual. I am sure it will hit the media very soon possibly by tomorrow.

I know many in here think I am always full of rubbish BUT everytime I have posted something before the media does, I have been 100% right.

Trust me guys, it is 100% factual.

SAGroove

Fee
02-08-2006, 02:07 AM
Did he call London and hire Adam?

Just kidding. My first reaction to this is dismay. To me, it means that Andy may not be seeing the real problem (himself). I don't know what to think of John, I know nothing of his tennis knowledge. I had a good impression of Ginger when I met her (which someone has since tried to dissuade me of for some reason). That's all I have to say about that (for now).

surfpinky
I cannot reveal my sources but PLEASE trust me, it is 100% factual. I am sure it will hit the media very soon possibly by tomorrow.

I know many in here think I am always full of rubbish BUT everytime I have posted something before the media does, I have been 100% right.

Trust me guys, it is 100% factual.

SAGroove
I actually believe you, you have posted stuff before the media and you were right :eek:

wow, hopefully john can whip his little brother's butt into shape :unsure:

tangerine_dream
Oh, I believe you Sagroove. Definitely.

So Fat brotha John will be Andy's new coach, eh? I like the idea. I like it because I've heard that John was a more talented player than Andy in his day, and after seeing John with Andy at Wimbledon I had wondered why he didn't coach his little brother? John Roddick is capable of doing everything I've been wanting to see: of getting in Andy's face and not being afraid to piss him off; of lighting a fire under his ass.

The news hasn't even been confirmed and I'm already excited at the prospect. :woohoo:

partygirl
02-08-2006, 02:09 AM
sagroove has been correct in the andy past. :worship:

forget dean- does this mean bye-bye max :sad: ?
i hope john can help andy out...a little more

i cannot say im surprised or upset.

heya will have a coniption over this not just another american coach...but his brother :cool: maybe its a good thing?

big roddick with little roddick.

OddJob
02-08-2006, 02:18 AM
If this is true then it's a great move. I'm not sure how good big brother is but it's worth a shot. Hopfully Big Bro can help with Andy's mental toughness and actually form a solid game plan. A plan B would be nice instead of standing far behind the baseline and being defensive. Dean's had his chance to help Andy but it wasn’t enough. If the real problem is just Andy shouldn't a coach be able to help with that? Andy doesn't seen to be a stubborn person. He followed Dean and Brad's advice with varying results.

Andy is in a bit of slump. When that happens change is often good. I'm not placing all the blame on Dean but he is part of the problem. I feel that Dean's taken Andy as far as he could and now is a good time to part ways.

superpinkone37
02-08-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm still not sure what my opinion on this is. I mean obviously, what Andy has now isn't working, but it's not Dean's fault. A coach cannot magically make Andy play better.

I still think he needs a psychologist. And if this means no more Max, then :bigcry:

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 02:25 AM
no cutemax at davis cup then ):

Havok
02-08-2006, 02:26 AM
As long as Andy goes back to his POWER game and takes risks again with his massive forehand and stops with this pansy shit, he can change coaches 282034 a year for all i care. It is troublesome to see so many coaching changes in a fairly short period of time, but he did gain something with every change of coach (he matured big time with Gilbert and started to realize how to use his strengths, he became more solid and much more fit with goldfine) so hopefully his brother can do all of that and thensome?:shrug:

acoffeygirl
02-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Umm ok....in a little bit of shock...but then again not so much. :lol: No Max this weekend?!?! :tears: This is tragic!

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 02:34 AM
I wonder if dean might still be the assistant davis cup coach?

superpinkone37
02-08-2006, 02:36 AM
We need a sign:

WHERE'S MAX?

partygirl
02-08-2006, 02:42 AM
We need a sign:

WHERE'S MAX?
YOU MUST. :)
maybe on pink poster board...nice and bright ;)

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 02:43 AM
heh, danielle, just make a real big poster with WHERE'S MAX on it to show at the tie. d:

hee what larah said. d:

Noelle
02-08-2006, 02:51 AM
*sniffle* *bawl*

I might have to update the Dean Goldfine article on Wikipedia. :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 02:57 AM
My first reaction to this is dismay. To me, it means that Andy may not be seeing the real problem (himself). That's what I thought before I even saw this post of yours. I just hope he knows what he's doing. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 03:32 AM
AR.com the first to announce something officially? I may die of shock. So it's not the same as when he fired Brad, Dean will still do..... something?
=================
Team Roddick Update
February 8th, 2006 12:06 am
By Andyroddick.com Staff

After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach. Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy’s growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick’s home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean’s new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean’s continued guidance.

Starting this weekend at the Davis Cup match in La Jolla, California, John Roddick will accompany Andy as his official coach. No stranger to the tennis circuit, John was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002 John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors.

In addition to a strong tennis background, John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others. Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family and having John as a traveling coach offers the ideal combination of brother and mentor. Andy’s strong emphasis on family already extends to his professional relationships. He has achieved great success working with those close to kin. Parents, Blanche and Jerry, are the Chairmen of the Andy Roddick Foundation and sister in law Ginger is Andy’s publicist.

Ar.com extends a huge welcome to John and we look forward to hearing from him throughout the season. As always, check back to ar.com for news on Team Roddick.

Layla21
02-08-2006, 03:32 AM
It's true AR.com just updated with info

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 03:36 AM
ar.com...whaaaaaaat?
wow.

AND, it's the first one where they mention that dean has TWO young children... d:
(it's sad that that's the first thing that jumped at me |: )

superpinkone37
02-08-2006, 03:36 AM
TWO CuteChildren?! :hearts:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 03:37 AM
They have a cute little girl too, Nat where is that pic? lmao

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
I'll find it!!!!! hehehe
http://www.arfoundation.org/hp-slideshow/5th_champions/album0/lg/1024x768_ARF-135.jpg
[:

Fee
02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
wow AR.com actually doing something useful...

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
this was the pic that went with the article deb posted d:
http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/fullsize/andy-john.jpg

tangerine_dream
02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Even better news! :bounce: Andy actually took my advice (that I had given to Adam, who was planning on coaching Andy :angel: ) to ADD to his team, not taketh awayeth. Excellent. So now Andy will get the best of two worlds: the calm Dean who issues quiet wisdom and the fiery John who can kick Andy in the pants. :yippee:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Thanks nat I knew you'd come through :yeah:

surfpinky
02-08-2006, 03:43 AM
[:

Golfnduck
02-08-2006, 03:50 AM
All I have to say is wow. I just hope John can light the fire. It seems like he had something to do with the fire at Wimbledon, hopefully John can do something positive with Andy.

Merton
02-08-2006, 04:09 AM
I wonder whether this has to do with poor scouting related to Marcos. That would be consistent with Dean remaining as a consultant. I am just speculating of course, it could be the case that the scouting was good but Andy did not execute well.

When Andy switched coaches before, he had decided upon the next coach, getting Brad after Tarik and Dean after Brad. This looks like a family solution, so it will be interesting to see whether it is temporary or not. At least i hope Andy will get a big morale boost, he badly needs one at the moment.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:13 AM
At least i hope Andy will get a big morale boost, he badly needs one at the moment.Well, what we can hope is that he realized this, discussed it with Dean, and decided that his brother is the best person to do that. And, he probably is. I've said for a while that Andy doesn't need as much technical help with his game right now. Once he can get his head on straight and stuff, then he can go back to trying to improve his game. My best guess is that John knows the game enough to scout well and stuff like that.

The only thing is... John was in Australia, and that didn't seem to do much good lol.

NYCtennisfan
02-08-2006, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure if this is helping Andy move forward in any way. Goldfine knows the game really well, but I think Roddick is too comfortable with him and will be as well with his brother. Someone like Brad took Roddick out of his comfort zone and challenged him.

williaer
02-08-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm not sure if this is helping Andy move forward in any way. Goldfine knows the game really well, but I think Roddick is too comfortable with him and will be as well with his brother. Someone like Brad took Roddick out of his comfort zone and challenged him.
possibly, but having john as his bro could be an advantage. john certainly wont be afraid of telling him the truth and that could be a good thing. but what happens if andy wants to fire him... that could get a little nasty...

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm not sure if this is helping Andy move forward in any way. Goldfine knows the game really well, but I think Roddick is too comfortable with him and will be as well with his brother. Someone like Brad took Roddick out of his comfort zone and challenged him.perhaps, but I think Andy was a very different person and player when Brad came on board. He helped him reach that level that Tarik couldn't seem to help him get to, but it's different now. What he needs now is to have that spark, passion, fire, excitement, power, etc., back into his game. And I think his brother may be able to do that. Dean may have been a great motivator where it came to fitness and he may have helped him add some things to his game but he didn't seem to be helping him mentally. If John can do that, then it will be great.

Ellen I think what would happen is not that Andy would want to fire him but maybe he'd want to take Dean back full-time at some point, or hire someone else to travel with him at some point, etc.

NYCtennisfan
02-08-2006, 04:20 AM
possibly, but having john as his bro could be an advantage. john certainly wont be afraid of telling him the truth and that could be a good thing. but what happens if andy wants to fire him... that could get a little nasty...

Very good points. How does one go about firing one's borther if it comes to that without looking bad? Perhaps make them a consultant?

NYCtennisfan
02-08-2006, 04:23 AM
perhaps, but I think Andy was a very different person and player when Brad came on board. He helped him reach that level that Tarik couldn't seem to help him get to, but it's different now. What he needs now is to have that spark, passion, fire, excitement, power, etc., back into his game. And I think his brother may be able to do that. Dean may have been a great motivator where it came to fitness and he may have helped him add some things to his game but he didn't seem to be helping him mentally. If John can do that, then it will be great.

Hopefully something can be done about the backhand as well--we will see. In any case, Roddick winning only 1 slam in his career would be an incredible shame.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:23 AM
My guess is that this is not the same as an official player-coach thing, most of them have contracts with set commissions and all that. This is probably just an informal thing of a brother traveling with his brother, and when Andy's ready to hire another coach to travel with him it'll probably be a mutual decision. Andy and his brother seem close enough that I doubt there would be problems. Andy obviously trusts John a lot and looks up to him and stuff, so I think if and when the time comes they'll be able to come together to make the decision.Hopefully something can be done about the backhand as well--we will see. In any case, Roddick winning only 1 slam in his career would be an incredible shame.
Hopefully, but as I've been saying for like a year or something, the backhand doesn't matter if he has no confidence to hit through it. Andy's shown that his BH can be sufficient when he's got confidence in it. I think about matches around March/April 2004 when he won Miami and the DC QF matches - his BH was down right good then, because he was playing confidently. Right now, he's just clearly not hitting through it. He'll never have great technique but if he can get himself to just smash through it instead of pussying it around and moonballing it half the time, it's good enough for now probably.

This is all evidenced pretty clearly by his forehand - which used to be one of the top few in the game and is now not much better than average - not because his technique has changed but b/c he doesn't go for it very often anymore :(

NYCtennisfan
02-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Yes, the drop in the FH due to confidence or whatever else has been really surprising. In 2003 and in much of 2004, if a ball was hit short at all to the Fh side, Andy would take over the point. Now it's these loopy topspin things that don't do anything, but then again, I'm just an houtsider looking in. :)

tangerine_dream
02-08-2006, 04:31 AM
Andy's backhand has improved a lot over the past year, and imo, it's the least of his concerns right now, and it's hardly his weakest spot that needs immediate improvement anyway (as opposed to his ros, which needs to be worked on asap).

Fee
02-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Was this article ever posted around here?

http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_roddick_011106.html

Carito_90
02-08-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry, I know I want Andy's game to improve and everything but...

DEAN. :bigcry: MY DEANY :bigcry: MAX :bigcry:

That's just tragic. :sad:

I will say something usefull when I come out of shock...

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Was this article ever posted around here?

http://www.tennisreporters.net/sub_roddick_011106.htmlWhat do you think ;)

acoffeygirl
02-08-2006, 04:57 AM
I think it might have been Fee, because I've read it, and I usually only read stuff that is posted here.

Fee
02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Thought so, that's why I asked first. :)

J. Corwin
02-08-2006, 05:40 AM
I don't know what to think of this? Go Andy? :shrug:

Vinnay, on the other hand, has plenty on his mind....;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/1jackson2001/rappervinnayonteamroddick.jpg

:angel:

williaer
02-08-2006, 05:43 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/1jackson2001/rappervinnayonteamroddick.jpg

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD
JACE WINS AT LIFE :worship: :worship:

Carito_90
02-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Jacey, you rock, always. :lol:

You made me laugh. :lol:

Noelle
02-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I love Jace :hearts:

heya
02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
He hit poor forehands/volleys/backhands/serves? Any common reason for those problems?

Lack of knee bend.
Not maintaining a trim body.
No desire to win tournaments (satisfaction with a quarterfinal/semifinal finish)
Everyone laughs at his disastrous techniques

Confidence gets you nowhere without long hours with repetitive tennis lessons and many matches. A great sparring partner didn't show up?
You think he's interested in winning Slams year after year by:
1 Giving lame excuses like "I have to help my friends" + "I didn't plan to be a pro player" +
+ "I have to rest for Davis Cup" and "I can do nothing. You've gotta applaud opponents"
2 being a sobbing, spoiled brat who can't get free trophies.
Andy loves being a fool in front of opponents
(Indianapolis, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, US Open --ring a bell?). Ljubicic loves this.
3 Treating tennis as a joke hobby
(nonchalantly arrive late at tournaments because team competition/TV shows are bigger priorities,
play with injuries to embarrass himself,
throw away matches,
donate points, games, etc.)

heya
02-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Gilbert rejects Roddick criticism
Brad Gilbert says recent criticism of Andy Roddick is unfair.

The American has not won a Grand Slam title since the 2003 US Open and recently went out of the Australian Open in the last 16.

But Roddick's former coach Gilbert told BBC Sport: "More than anything, his situation is about how much better Federer has been since 2003.

"He's like the Tiger Woods of tennis. Without Federer, Andy would be winning a whole lot more tournaments."

Federer has ended Roddick's Wimbledon hopes for three years in a row, including the last two finals.

"Let's remember, Andy is still number three in the world," said Gilbert.

"The two in front, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, are outstanding players, and Andy is only 23, a year younger than Federer, so let's give him time."

Like Andy said, "Brad has genius skills.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4686428.stm

nobama
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Brad. :smash:

Roger is the least of Andy's problems right now. His early exits at RG, UOS and AO had nothing to do with Roger. Unless Brad thinks Andy's mental problems are because of Roger? :shrug: I don't think so.

heya
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Why are so many arrogant people giving Andy faint praise?
Several "Brad's perfect for Andy. Roddick's a lowlife" bandwagon jumpers. PatMc thought he was smart by pointing out Brad's constant need to prove how invaluable he was to ESPN (lied about Andy, Brad being a fake, patriotic Roddick supporter + giving bold-faced, false scouting reports on TV). PatMc is no different from Brad.

NicoFan
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I have to admit that I'm thrilled. Andy hasn't accomplished as much as he should have under Dean.

It was a great decision by Andy. :woohoo:

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Personally, I'm distraught :crying2:

I always liked Dean :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 01:45 PM
OH ADAM WTF! PSH :o

:ras:

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ;)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Not when it's not even funny:)

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
:awww:

I try my best. Obviously my best isn't good enough for you :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh, you can do much better than that. lol. I have high expectations that's all.

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I do have quite a lot to live up to :p

I should stop being funny. Starting from now. I'm gonna be serious.

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Deb, will you marry me? http://yelims1.free.fr/Amour/Mariage.gif

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
You're not being nice :sad:

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Whaaaaaat? I'm always nice :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
You're teasing me with MARRIAGE! :sad:

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
You're teasing me with long delays between answers :sad:

I spend half my life waiting for women :p

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry, I'm in the middle of getting ready for school.... sorry if you don't like waiting for me to get dressed, make my coffee and lunch, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, etc. :p

That does NOT excuse your teasing with MARRIAGE!!!!!!!!!

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Deb, you really need to stop going off topic. I mean, I comment on my despair that Dean got fired. And then the next minute you're talking about marriage. You really need to focus on what the thread title is ;)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
There's nothing new in this, I just thought it should be kept for posterity that ESPN took news from AR.com :eek::o
------------------------------------
Roddick fires coach, hires brother
ESPN.com news services

Andy Roddick fired Dean Goldfine after a little more than a year as his coach and hired his older brother John Roddick, according to his Web site.

Goldfine will stay on with Andy Roddick as a consultant.

John Roddick's role will begin immediately, starting with Friday's first round Davis Cup tie against Romania in La Jolla, Calif.

John Roddick is the third coach in the last 14 months for the world's No. 3 ranked player. Goldfine was hired in December of 2004 after Andy Roddick fired Brad Gilbert, who had been his coach since June of 2003.

Andy Roddick's only Grand Slam title came under Gilbert in 2003 when he won the U.S. Open. He lost in the fourth round of last month's Australian Open to Marcos Baghdatis

John Roddick was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002, John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors.

Information from andyroddick.com contributed to this report.

Golfnduck
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
It should be interesting to see if Andy's game changes for DC. Hopefully the fh of 2003 will be back.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
If it doesn't, I think there are 6 girls who are gonna shout out "HEY ANDY HIT A FUCKING FOREHAND PLEASE KTHANKS!"

acoffeygirl
02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
If it doesn't, I think there are 6 girls who are gonna shout out "HEY ANDY HIT A FUCKING FOREHAND PLEASE KTHANKS!"
Ohhhh that would make a very nice sign. We could put it right next to the one that says, "James - my roommate thinks you are hot!" :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
:spit: :rolls:

Golfnduck
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
LMFAO!!!! :haha: :worship:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 04:35 PM
AR.com took down the article :scratch:

The plot thickens :haha:

http://www.andyroddick.com/team-roddick-update/

blosson
02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow.

OK.

Fine.

I just hope Andy doesn't get fat.

acoffeygirl
02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
OK what the freaking heck?!?!?! :rolleyes:

J. Corwin
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Ohhhh that would make a very nice sign. We could put it right next to the one that says, "James - my roommate thinks you are hot!" :lol:

You girls should all dress in bikinis and be part of his Bikini Brigade!

"Lawyah babe"
"Teacher babe"
"Country babe"
:hearts: Now that is hot!!

If he starts to lose and stare at you guys, hold up a sign "Sorry Andy...this is tennis, not swimming (:"

J. Corwin
02-08-2006, 04:44 PM

oops :haha:

tangerine_dream
02-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Charles Bricker :hearts:

Roddick fires coach; names his brother as replacement

By Charles Bricker
Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 8 2006

Four matches into the season, Andy Roddick has dismissed Dean Goldfine, his coach of 13 months, and will begin working with his older brother, John Roddick, right after this weekend's Davis Cup matches against Romania.

"It wasn't a question of Andy not playing well and I don't want to say that his association with Dean was temporary to begin with, but Andy is just 35 percent into his career and John has incredible credentials," agent Ken Meyerson said Wednesday in confirming the story.

For Roddick, 23, it's the third coaching change of his professional career. He began with Tarik Benhabiles, the former French Davis Cup doubles player, then spent a year and a half with Brad Gilbert, who formerly coached Andre Agassi. It was with Gilbert that he won the 2003 U.S. Open, his only Grand Slam title, and reached No. 1. He is currently ranked No. 3.

Looking for someone less high profile, Roddick hired Goldfine in December of 2004. Goldfine, who lives in Aventura, had coached Todd Martin, the perennial top-10 player, for seven years.

In his year with Goldfine, Roddick had a 59-14 won/lost record and was runnerup at Wimbledon to Roger Federer and a semifinalist at the Australian Open.

Among his disappointments was a first-round loss to virtual unknown Gilles Muller of Luxembourg at the U.S. Open and a second-round loss at the French Open to Jose Acasuso after being up two sets and a break in the third.

Roddick is 3-1 this year, losing in four sets to eventual runnerup Marcos Baghdatis in the fourth round of the Aussie Open last month.

Roddick, in San Diego to play against Romania, couldn't be immediately reached for comment and his brother was flying most of the day Wednesday.

The brothers are extremely close and John has had something of a consulting role over the years while running is tennis academy (Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy) in San Antonio.

"We'll see how it goes," said Meyerson. It was unclear if John Roddick will be a permanent coach or will be there part or all of this season to shepherd his brother through the major tournaments. But John Roddick will travel with his brother.

"There's no magic formulas here," said Meyerson. "There's no blame game here. Andy is just 23 and very open to things.

It was not the ideal time for the news to break about Roddick's coaching situation because he wants the focus to be on the U.S. team's play against Romania this weekend.

Goldfine couldn't be reached for comment, but Meyerson said, "Truthfully, he's been struggling a little bit with the traveling. He has two kids under 5 and it's a heavy grind spending most of his time in Austin (where Roddick resides).

Charles Bricker can be reached at cbricker@sun-sentinel.com

omg, I hope we don't have another Delray Beach PR fiasco on our hands :sobbing: :lol: :bolt:

tangerine_dream
02-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Does tennis-x's resident a$$hole Richard Vach read this forum? Because he's basically spewing the same stuff that we've been saying for over a year now. :o

Roddick Looking to Light Fire by Firing Goldfine thanks for stealing our words right out of our mouth :o

By Richard Vach, Tennis-X.com Senior Bullshit Writer Extraordinaire

Andy Roddick has "updated his team."

After months of media bashing tennis-x being one of them, Roddick announced on his official website Wednesday with a "Team Roddick Update" that he has demoted Dean Goldfine to "advisor" with responsibilities to be determined, and elevated brother John Roddick as his full-time traveling coach.

"After heartfelt deliberations last Thursday with Dean Goldfine, Andy has decided to bring his older brother, John Roddick, on the road as his traveling coach," Roddick's website reported. "Dean, who has traveled with Andy since December of 2004, will remain an integral member of Team Roddick, contributing to Andy's growth in a consultant position. Dean currently resides in South Florida with his wife and two young children, not far from the Roddick's home in Boca Raton. The specific responsibilities of Dean's new advisory role in Team Roddick are to be determined but Andy is very enthusiastic and appreciative for Dean's continued guidance."

Roddick hooked up with Goldfine at the end of 2004 after splitting with Brad Gilbert, who had guided him to a US Open title and the No. 1 ranking. Roddick stunned the tennis community by breaking with Gilbert, with speculation that the current ESPN commentator's personality clashed with a number of individuals in the Roddick camp.

John Roddick will start with his younger brother straight-away this weekend when the U.S. takes on Romania in Davis Cup play.

"Starting this weekend at the Davis Cup match in La Jolla, California, John Roddick will accompany Andy as his official coach," Roddick's website reported. "No stranger to the tennis circuit, John was an All-American tennis player at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 1998. Since 2002 John has served as the Director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, Texas both training and traveling with top ITF juniors."

Roddick's move from Gilbert to Goldfine was seen as alleviating a lot of the control issues the former No. 1 had with the animated and opinionated Gilbert, but over the last year Goldfine has been seen by many as too laid back, and perhaps unwilling to play the bad guy when warranted. Last month at the Australian Open, Roddick's game looked stagnant and fearful in a loss against Marcos Baghdatis, the opposite of his off-season vow to "be more aggressive" in 2006.tennis-x reads my blog, I'm honored

"In addition to a strong tennis background, John inspires a level of drive and motivation in Andy achievable by few others," reported the Roddick website, alluding to a more foot-in-the-ass approach by brother John. :haha: MTFers have been saying this for months "Andy has always attributed his fighting spirit to the encouragement of his family and having John as a traveling coach offers the ideal combination of brother and mentor. Andy's strong emphasis on family already extends to his professional relationships. He has achieved great success working with those close to kin. Parents, Blanche and Jerry, are the Chairmen of the Andy Roddick Foundation and sister-in-law Ginger is Andy's publicist."

Whether Andy's family closing ranks can garner him big-match wins, or the ability to challenge tour top-dogs Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, now remains to be seen.

cobalt60
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I should have come here and stayed off the GM thread. Thanks for the laughs:) I think it is just me but I am sorry to see Dean go. Anyway I never second guess these decisions so best of luck to Andy and John.
Adam- you asked Deb to marry you in jest? For shame on you. Where did I put that "kick in the ass" smiley. ( You do realize that you will never live it down asking me to do that you know;) )

PinkFeatherBoa
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
OK, I read this in the morning before I went to classes, so now it has had a while to sink in. I'm sad to see Dean go, too, but I have to admit my current reaction is 'BOO. I WANNA SEE CUTE MAX. ):' |:
Well Andy now you are free to hire Adam, should he want to be saddled with you. :lol:

Adam and Deb you make a lovely couple, and I shall be buying a new hat for your wedding. Of course. ;)

blosson
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM

Considering you girls will be all together, you should definatelly organise some sort of brigade so Andy remembers you later. I agree with Jace, the bikini brigade would be spot on and he will think you are chasing him around the world! C'mon girls, do the "bikini brigade" even if it means painted bikinis over tee shirts, Andy and James will love it. :lol:

cobalt60
02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Considering you girls will be all together, you should definatelly organise some sort of brigade so Andy remembers you later. I agree with Jace, the bikini brigade would be spot on and he will think you are chasing him around the world! C'mon girls, do the "bikini brigade" even if it means painted bikinis over tee shirts, Andy and James will love it. :lol:
:haha: Bloss that is a great idea- painted T shirts!!!

partygirl
02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
C'mon girls, do the "bikini brigade" even if it means painted bikinis over tee shirts, Andy and James will love it. :lol:

now i really wish i was gonna go..i have the prettiest bikini, and no reason to sit in it, in a stadium full of people:mad:
-only i would have to conduct myself a little more politely then this so called bikini brigade, im no fool.

but i would do it even if it were a brigade of one... would it be wrong to do it in front of the television:confused:

i love that tennis x says this was annonced on ar.com....
low and behold ar.com is not even reporting it yet & why would they get anything right in a timely manner?

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Larah, they DID report it, they were the first place it was confirmed last night. But they've taken down the article for some reason

partygirl
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Larah, they DID report it, they were the first place it was confirmed last night. But they've taken down the article for some reason
:haha: :haha: how very:smash: of me to not believe they would get something right.:rain:

the last part sounds about right of them...good job :bowdown: :lol:

Havok
02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Andy needs to start having FUN out there again, something he's been sorely lacking for a very long time. Having fun on the court is key to Andy's success because if he isn't enjoying his time out there, then he sucks (just take a look at all his shit losses and compare them to all the matches he played in 01-03 huge difference). I think his brother will find that exitement again and also take no crap from andy along the way. it's great that he hasn't cut Dean out of the picture completely though :).

liptea
02-08-2006, 09:12 PM
My brain hurts.

heya
02-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I thought he was having too much fun being a ubiquitous media clown.. :shrug:

When he hated playing vs. top players and underestimated lower ranked players like Gonzo + Karlovic, it was obvious that his priority wasn't in changing the way he played.

He tried to hide the fact that he lowered expectations/effort level. The coaches weren't exactly enthusiastic about his future. The family lowered expectations.

It's not a coincidence that he's not taking matches seriously, as he did 4 years ago.
He realized he turned pro because he thought tennis was all about fun, not about long, boring hours on the court.
He was not well-coached and was physically weak, but he begged to work with much older players while he was on the bench.

He didn't become a pro because he really believed he had great fitness/physical talents. You can't go too far if you have only mental strength.
Maybe, he + the whole world don't predict great improvement + a successful future against tough top players.

Havok
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
No I mean fun ON the court playing the game and handing out beatings to players.

liptea
02-08-2006, 11:22 PM
thanks heya. my brain hurts less now.

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I love you Niti. my brain hurts too

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I love you. my brain hurts too
Is now a bad time to re-ask you to marry me? :kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Never a bad time for that, as long as you mean it :ras: :awww:

adee-gee
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Never a bad time for that, as long as you mean it :ras: :awww:
Awww come here :smooch:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2006, 11:53 PM

There ain't gonna be a Ketubah, just so you know ;)

adee-gee
02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
:sad:

Will you at least read me a bedtime story, young Adam needs to go to bed soon :)

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Just because I won't let you own me doesn't mean I won't read you a story :)

adee-gee
02-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Splendid. Nothing too scary. Young Adam doesn't like scary stories :awww:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't either it's ok :) :smooch:

adee-gee
02-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Deb I can't believe you've turned this thread into a chat thread. Shame on you!

adee-gee
02-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Goodnight my little Princess :kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
hahahaha :devil:

goodnight my dear :smooch:

Noelle
02-09-2006, 01:10 AM
ROFL. I guess we really can't do anything much about this topic now; I mean, all's said that had to be said. :lol:

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 01:15 AM

There ain't gonna be a Ketubah, just so you know ;)
Why not? I love my ketubah( oh it is a contract that better not be broken)
Anyway a match made in heaven :angel: Adam are you planning to stay home and raise the children while Deb goes to work;) Such a great arrangement.
All kidding aside- I have just read the entire GM firing thread and I must say that thank god I am a doctor. Can you imagine my "putting a spin" on explaining a cancer diagnosis to a patient? F that. Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 01:19 AM
I know right!?!!?! lmfao...I haven't been taught anything about spin in law school either.

My mom was a feminist in college, she was like, NO KETUBAH FOR ME, so they don't have one. I guess that's how I grew up so it's what I think too lol!!!!

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Oh oh I consider myself a feminist too but I do it in such a classy way that the guys just don't know it. ;) Anyway I love all those old traditions and since it is a reform Ketubah it is politically correct-signed by everyone and no woman under the man thing. Equal opportunity I always say. And since Steve and I have Sephardic backgrounds it is very Moorish looking- like Northern African Culture. I love it.

Noelle
02-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Does tennis-x's resident a$$hole Richard Vach read this forum? Because he's basically spewing the same stuff that we've been saying for over a year now. :oWell, duh. If Peter Bodo reads Tennis Warehouse (and found the Kim Clijsters thread), surely the lowly Tennis-X trolls these boards as well. :p

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Oh oh I consider myself a feminist too but I do it in such a classy way that the guys just don't know it. ;) Anyway I love all those old traditions and since it is a reform Ketubah it is politically correct-signed by everyone and no woman under the man thing. Equal opportunity I always say. And since Steve and I have Sephardic backgrounds it is very Moorish looking- like Northern African Culture. I love it.ah well that explains it, my parents' would've been Conservative borderline Orthodox and it still had the ownership language :unsure:

Noelle
02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
GM makes my brain hurt. That's why I won't go there. :scared:

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 01:34 AM
here is a picture of my ketubah- hand painted etc

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2571395&postcount=2418

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Oh sue that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Oh sue that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Thanks as I really love it- for what it symbolizes, the tradition it entails and of course for who signed it:hearts: Except for the 2 rabbis who married us as they were jerks :tape: LOL
And OMFG deb- that is the night I was told by you know who about the ignore function .....
ANyway I need to head to bed- I am in the operating room all morning and I need my wits about me. Have a good rest of the evening all. I really hope this is a good decision by Andy ( to get back to the topic of the thread) not just in the short term but long term as well.

MisterQ
02-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Oh oh I consider myself a feminist too but I do it in such a classy way that the guys just don't know it. ;)

slick.. ;) :cool:

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 01:56 AM
slick.. ;) :cool:
Come to me baby; I need you to do something for me :angel:

MisterQ
02-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Come to me baby; I need you to do something for me :angel:

Reform your ketubah? :devil:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 02:25 AM
:spit: :haha: :rolls:

superpinkone37
02-09-2006, 03:38 AM

Jace, I love you. The end.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 03:41 AM
So, they speak........ STICH?????????????????? OMG Andy :smash:
===============
Roddick fires Goldfine; brother to coach

By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 9 2006

Most players in professional tennis would be satisfied with 81 percent victories over the past 13 months and a No. 3 ranking in the world.

But after failing to win a second Grand Slam in the past two years and not satisfied with his progress, Andy Roddick has dismissed his coach, Dean Goldfine, it was announced Wednesday. He has turned the job over to his older brother, John Roddick.

Roddick, in San Diego to play Davis Cup for the United States vs. Romania, could not be immediately reached for comment. But his brother made it clear this is no interim coaching job.

"It's something Andy and I are looking at keeping in place for awhile, as long as it's moving in the right direction," said John Roddick, who will be coaching a professional player for the first time. He is the owner and director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, where he tutors several promising junior players.

"It's a fair question," Roddick replied when asked if he had the credentials to step up to the ATP Tour. "The important thing is I know Andy's game and the trust he has in me. I've been looking forward to this opportunity, if it happened. We have a bond, an understanding. He knows I'm here looking out for his best interests, just having been around him his whole life."

Goldfine, the Aventura-based coach who was with perennial top-10 Todd Martin for seven years, called the split completely amicable.

"When we talked it was a mutual decision. Obviously, I was disappointed, but we both want what he sees as best for him," Goldfine said.

"Andy felt that basically I wasn't able to help him play his best tennis." He added: "I think, in general, coaches a lot of times get too much credit and too much of the blame. We can't hit the balls for them."

After 18 months with the high-profile, high-octane Brad Gilbert, who had formerly coached Andre Agassi, Roddick sought out the quieter but very experienced Goldfine, who then held a senior coaching position with the USTA. It seemed like a solid coupling.

In his first major with Goldfine, Roddick reached the semifinals of the Australian Open, and he would, in July, lose to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final. In between, however, he lost in the second round of the French after being up two sets and a break in the third to Jose Acasuso.

And at the U.S. Open, he was stunned in the first round by erratic Luxembourgian Gilles Muller. He then won 10 of his final 12 matches to end the year, with losses to Ivo Karlovic and Ivan Ljubicic and declined to play the Masters Cup in Shanghai because of an injured lower back.

He began this year 3-1, losing in the fourth round at Australia to Marcos Baghdatis, bringing his record under Goldfine to 62-15 with five titles.

There's no question that Goldfine raised Roddick's fitness to a significantly higher level and increased his confidence in his backhand down the line, a critical addition to his shot repertoire. But that didn't translate into any major titles in 2005.

"Unfortunately, the U.S. Open loss was very tough. For Andy, the Grand Slams are really at this point what matters," Goldfine said. Roddick was the U.S. Open winner in 2003 at age 21, but he's found Federer standing in his way since, and particularly at Wimbledon, where his powerful game does very well on grass.

John Roddick doesn't plan many tactical changes of significance. "It's not about changing Andy's game. It's about taking on a new mentality. He's one of the few players who can assert his dominance over anyone with his power and spin, and his movement is very good for someone 6 feet 3," Roddick said.

One thing he will emphasize is getting his brother to move closer to the baseline, instead of playing way back, where he got a longer look at the ball but had farther to hit it.

There has been no lack of suitors for Andy Roddick over the past couple of years. Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich of Germany and two-time U.S. Open winner Patrick Rafter of Australia have offered to coach him.:eek::eek::eek:

Goldfine said he's keeping his job options open. That could involve taking on another pro or going back to the USTA to work with the best young talent in the United States.

John Roddick becomes his brother's fourth coach since he turned pro in 2000. Roddick began with Tarik Benhabiles, the former French Davis Cup doubles player, before hiring Gilbert.

surfpinky
02-09-2006, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't have minded patrick rafter :drool:

Noelle
02-09-2006, 03:48 AM
One thing he will emphasize is getting his brother to move closer to the baseline, instead of playing way back, where he got a longer look at the ball but had farther to hit it.GO JOHN GO!!!! :aparty:

surfpinky
02-09-2006, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't have minded stitch either

but pat rafter :drool:

williaer
02-09-2006, 04:36 AM
omg if dean gets another player he wont be a consultant anymore. but i guess dean will always be there for andy... it isnt like it's over on bad terms

wow... if pat was his coach... hottest coach/player EVER!!!!

I LOVE YOU DEAN!!!!!

and i also love what john is talking about... so long as he brings it!

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 04:41 AM
I'm going to gather from a few things - namely that the "consultant" stuff only was mentioned on the AR.com article which was taken down not too long after it was posted, and the fact that this article doesn't even hint at that remaining relationship, that Dean is not actually gonna be a consultant and that's probably why AR.com took down the article.

It's just a guess.

I also like very much what John says, especially about mentality and not that his game needs radical changes. I agree. But, Dean also said all the same stuff about court positioning and nothing ever happened. So maybe John can have more influence. I did not realize John was only 29, for some reason I thought he was a bit older than that. not that it matters, I'm just saying :p

According to a newer AP article (which doesn't say anything new at all), John was due to arrive out here tonight, so that's cool. He had some time to be with the team and Pmac and all and now John will be here.

I really hope this works out.

williaer
02-09-2006, 04:44 AM
I'm going to gather from a few things - namely that the "consultant" stuff only was mentioned on the AR.com article which was taken down not too long after it was posted, and the fact that this article doesn't even hint at that remaining relationship, that Dean is not actually gonna be a consultant and that's probably why AR.com took down the article.

It's just a guess.

I also like very much what John says, especially about mentality and not that his game needs radical changes. I agree. But, Dean also said all the same stuff about court positioning and nothing ever happened. So maybe John can have more influence. I did not realize John was only 29, for some reason I thought he was a bit older than that. not that it matters, I'm just saying :p

According to a newer AP article (which doesn't say anything new at all), John was due to arrive out here tonight, so that's cool. He had some time to be with the team and Pmac and all and now John will be here.

I really hope this works out.
yeah you're probs right about the consultant stuff. i just cant imagine them totally severing all relations together... i hope they stay friends of some sort (or at least they hug and talk when they see each other)

i guess the only thing left to say now is:

BRING IT ON, JOHN!!

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 04:45 AM
It sounds like it was perfectly amicable and there are no hard feelings. Maybe they'll discuss and stuff when Andy's in florida, maybe here and there by phone, but I doubt it will be anything in any official capacity.

Plus, Andy will be giving like, probably 3-4 more press conferences this weekend alone, plus San Jose next week, so I am sure he will be asked about it a lot and we will hear what HE has to say.

Amen. BRING IT ON, JOHN!

MisterQ
02-09-2006, 04:47 AM
I wouldn't have minded stitch either

but pat rafter :drool:

That would be sweat... I mean sweet! ;)

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 04:48 AM
That would be sweat... I mean sweet! ;)How do you do it? I mean, seriously.

williaer
02-09-2006, 04:49 AM
It sounds like it was perfectly amicable and there are no hard feelings. Maybe they'll discuss and stuff when Andy's in florida, maybe here and there by phone, but I doubt it will be anything in any official capacity.

Plus, Andy will be giving like, probably 3-4 more press conferences this weekend alone, plus San Jose next week, so I am sure he will be asked about it a lot and we will hear what HE has to say.

Amen. BRING IT ON, JOHN!
Yeah, I'm really glad that there seems to be no hard feelings. And i agree that they might chat occasionally on the phone etc. I have a feeling Andy wouldn't hesitate to call Dean if he had a question and I'm sure Dean wouldn't mind either.

Woot for press conferences!!! :D

I think I'll go make a "Bring it on, John" av... would you be able to re-size a pic for me, deb?

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Sure but make it quick as I'm going to bed very soon :p

MisterQ
02-09-2006, 04:57 AM
How do you do it? I mean, seriously.

I aspire to perspire. :silly:

williaer
02-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Sure but make it quick as I'm going to bed very soon :p
Thanks, but don't worry about it.

Night, night and if I don't get to speak to you before you guys leave... have fun watching DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug:
I expect a full run-down on it all about your return :p

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 04:58 AM
oh shush you know what I meant :lol: :rolls: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

You sure ellen? I'll be here another 10 min or so. or you can just post it and someone else can resize too if I've already gone to bed :)

We will have fun and think of all of you :D Somehow we'll get in touch and let you know what's going on :p I don't think there's wifi at the hotel but i'll have my laptop with me justincase

whosthis77
02-09-2006, 05:20 AM
all I can say is wow. and I hope this doesn't turn out horribly wrong.

Fee
02-09-2006, 06:17 AM
...I did not realize John was only 29, for some reason I thought he was a bit older than that. not that it matters, I'm just saying :p

You know, I'd forgotten about that last night. John Roddick was in the same juniors peer group as Jan-Mike, Justin, Goldstein, and Humphries. It was actually John who suggested Andy and Jan-Mike play doubles together a few years ago. I just checked his junior record at ITF and John played a lot of doubles with Justin before they headed off their separate ways to college. I am beginning to feel more optimistic about this than I was last night.

cobalt60
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Reform your ketubah? :devil:
LMFAO oh Q :worship: So are you coming? :devil:

Black Adam
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
all I can say is wow. and I hope this doesn't turn out horribly wrong.
Me too *fingers crossed*

Chaos Inc.
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Guys:

Just got the word this evening...it's official...Andy Roddick has dismissed Dean Goldfine as his coach effective immediately. Andy's brother John Roddick will assume the coaching duties full time!!!

SAGroove

Thanks for the info Sagroove. This is a good move. John was a real hard ass, hard working, no nonsense type of guy. He really wanted to be a great player, unlike his younger brother where there is some question. John will have no qualms telling Andy he is full of crap when he is full of crap and what he needs to do to improve.

Chaos Inc.
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Stich and Rafter will make excellent coaches. Both were intelligent players while on tour. If Andy has need for another coach sometime in the future, he should take one of these two up on the offer they made.

Fumus
02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
This is probably for the best. I just don't think having his brother coach him is going to improve all that much. I wish he would get someone like Rafter or Stich, someone who can bring some pazzaz, or mojo along with them.

blosson
02-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I kind of thought the same, his brother might not impose much authority as an outsider would and it could not make a lot of difference. It's actually easier to pick a fight or an argument with your brother than anyone else. Nevertheless, I'm a fan and hopefully it works out for the best. Nadal is also coached by a family member and it works just fine for him. :shrug:

Now the Andy and Rafter combo is just like a dream, Pat would be stealing all Andy's female fans! Andy would be jealous!

tangerine_dream
02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
From the few interviews I've read where John and Andy were both present, I got the impression that Andy pretty much worships John and that John is one of the few people in this world who could probably control Andy better and get him to listen. Sure, Andy could probably pick a fight with John easier but John could shove it right back at him and he wouldn't be afraid of Andy's wrath in the first place (unlike his other coaches). This is just my own interpretation.

Havok
02-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Well I hope John brings to andy what David Pierce brought to Mary last year (just that Andy would need to win a slam and not suck of ass in the finals :p). I agree with your post tangy. John can easily take the bullshit andy might throw and him and give him hell. there's the brother bond there so John won't be afraid to let it rip if he has to and I think he CAN change Andy's mentality when he goes into a match.

tangerine_dream
02-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I've been waiting for Peter's comments and here they are:

http://www.tennis.com/Tennis_World_Blog/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=787

Andy's Coaching Carousel
Posted 2/9/2006

By now, most of you may know that Andy Roddick has ever-so-gently fired Dean Goldfine and brought his brother John on board as coach, effective immediately. The announcement was discreetly made at Andy's website, according to most news sources. In fact, it was so discreetly made that I couldn't find any mention of it for two days. Well, Andy's website now has the full story, courtesy of crack South Florida Sun-Sentinel tennis writer Charlie Bricker.

You’ve got to feel for Goldfine; it wasn’t like Roddick had an awful year. He didn’t gain ground on Roger Federer (if anything, he may have lost a little), yet nobody besides breakout star Rafael Nadal gained on Andy, either. Brad Gilbert has some interesting comments on Roddick’s situation here.

So the Roddick juggernaut will now be a family operation. My gut reaction to this setup is always similar: It strikes me as challenging in the same way that actually having to compete against a sibling, or going into business with one, can be a real minefield. On the other hand, Michael and Carl Chang had a pretty good—and certainly lengthy—run a few years back, and there’s nothing wrong with the way Mary Pierce played last year under the tutelage of her brother, David. She had a career year and vaulted into contention for a place in the International Tennis Hall of Fame. That’s not too shabby.

John will be Boy Andy’s third coach in 14 months, which tells you that either Roddick is very difficult to work with, or that he’s setting a very high standard for himself—and his coach. Clearly, it’s the latter. Andy hasn’t really had a bad loss since the U.S. Open first-round shocker last September (he lost to journeyman Gilles Muller), and anybody who thinks the stumble against Marcos Baghdatis in Melbourne a few weeks ago was inexplicable simply didn’t watch—or adequately appreciate—the run Baghdatis was on.

The money quote from Bricker’s piece:
One thing he will emphasize is getting his brother to move closer to the baseline, instead of playing way back, where he got a longer look at the ball but had farther to hit it.
Granted, Roddick has terrific mobility for a guy who stands 6-foot-3. But it’s still questionable whether someone with so much muscle and bone to move can haul it around as fast as necessary to play effectively from inside the court. Players who have made the most of taking the ball on the rise tend to be the cruiserweights (Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Andre Agassi); the most muscular guy I can think of who played from inside the court was Jim Courier, who did it to devastating effect. Still, none of those men is nearly as big as Andy.

At another level, though, creeping up closer to the baseline would compliment perfectly the spadework Goldfine and Roddick did last year in getting Andy to attack his service returns with more gusto. The bottom line, I think, is that Andy was molded as a physical, punishing, consistent, unbreakable, inexhaustible baseliner; if there’s something going on here in the bigger picture, it’s his wish to morph into an aggressive all-courter developing an appetite for forcing play and even attacking the net.

In a way, Roddick’s struggle to keep pace with Federer (and, to a lesser degree, Nadal) makes him very appealing. It underscores his professionalism and pride. It’s also fascinating to watch this gradual transformation. A guy like this—any top pro, for that matter—has so much history, so much habit to overcome in any attempt to change his game. Its kind of like watching an oceanliner coming about. I’ve got to believe serious tennis nuts and aficionados of the game appreciate the nuances involved.

A lot of critics bemoan the “one-dimensional” nature of Roddick’s game (big serve, big forehand, big dropoff), but that game has been changing, without Roddick paying a high price. This is no mean feat. Just look at the way every female prodigy who’s come down the pike has a fine practice-court volley (the doubles proficiency of stars who rarely venture to the net in singles is telling), yet never makes good on the promise to develop more of an attacking game.

It’s hard to change a pro’s basic game. Very hard.

There’s been a lot of buzz lately about Roddick and Maria Sharapova; some have suggested that both are saddled with games that will keep them stuck just below the very top level. There’s some truth in that, but remember—Roddick has been in the last two Wimbledon finals, and the year before that he made the semis (he lost to Federer on all three occasions). That’s a great record at the most important tournament of them all.

I think Roddick will win Wimbledon one day, and he’ll be in the mix at the very top for a long time.

Also, the news about Goldfine's firing is back up on AR.com:

http://www.andyroddick.com/roddick-fires-goldfine-brother-to-coach/

Roddick fires Goldfine; brother to coach
February 9th, 2006 01:24 pm
By Andyroddick.com Staff

Charles Bricker: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Most players in professional tennis would be satisfied with 81 percent victories over the past 13 months and a No. 3 ranking in the world.

But after failing to win a second Grand Slam in the past two years and not satisfied with his progress, Andy Roddick has dismissed his coach, Dean Goldfine, it was announced Wednesday. He has turned the job over to his older brother, John Roddick.
Roddick, in San Diego to play Davis Cup for the United States vs. Romania, could not be immediately reached for comment. But his brother made it clear this is no interim coaching job.

“It’s something Andy and I are looking at keeping in place for awhile, as long as it’s moving in the right direction,” said John Roddick, who will be coaching a professional player for the first time. He is the owner and director of the Roddick-Moros International Tennis Academy in San Antonio, where he tutors several promising junior players.

“It’s a fair question,” Roddick replied when asked if he had the credentials to step up to the ATP Tour. “The important thing is I know Andy’s game and the trust he has in me. I’ve been looking forward to this opportunity, if it happened. We have a bond, an understanding. He knows I’m here looking out for his best interests, just having been around him his whole life.”

Goldfine, the Aventura-based coach who was with perennial top-10 Todd Martin for seven years, called the split completely amicable.

“When we talked it was a mutual decision. Obviously, I was disappointed, but we both want what he sees as best for him,” Goldfine said.

“Andy felt that basically I wasn’t able to help him play his best tennis.” He added: “I think, in general, coaches a lot of times get too much credit and too much of the blame. We can’t hit the balls for them.”

After 18 months with the high-profile, high-octane Brad Gilbert, who had formerly coached Andre Agassi, Roddick sought out the quieter but very experienced Goldfine, who then held a senior coaching position with the USTA. It seemed like a solid coupling.

In his first major with Goldfine, Roddick reached the semifinals of the Australian Open, and he would, in July, lose to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final. In between, however, he lost in the second round of the French after being up two sets and a break in the third to Jose Acasuso.

And at the U.S. Open, he was stunned in the first round by erratic Luxembourgian Gilles Muller. He then won 10 of his final 12 matches to end the year, with losses to Ivo Karlovic and Ivan Ljubicic and declined to play the Masters Cup in Shanghai because of an injured lower back.

He began this year 3-1, losing in the fourth round at Australia to Marcos Baghdatis, bringing his record under Goldfine to 62-15 with five titles.

There’s no question that Goldfine raised Roddick’s fitness to a significantly higher level and increased his confidence in his backhand down the line, a critical addition to his shot repertoire. But that didn’t translate into any major titles in 2005.

“Unfortunately, the U.S. Open loss was very tough. For Andy, the Grand Slams are really at this point what matters,” Goldfine said. Roddick was the U.S. Open winner in 2003 at age 21, but he’s found Federer standing in his way since, and particularly at Wimbledon, where his powerful game does very well on grass.

John Roddick doesn’t plan many tactical changes of significance. “It’s not about changing Andy’s game. It’s about taking on a new mentality. He’s one of the few players who can assert his dominance over anyone with his power and spin, and his movement is very good for someone 6 feet 3,” Roddick said.

There has been no lack of suitors for Andy Roddick over the past couple of years. Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich of Germany and two-time U.S. Open winner Patrick Rafter of Australia have offered to coach him.

Goldfine said he’s keeping his job options open. That could involve taking on another pro or going back to the USTA to work with the best young talent in the United States.

John Roddick becomes his brother’s fourth coach since he turned pro in 2000. Roddick began with Tarik Benhabiles, the former French Davis Cup doubles player, before hiring Gilbert.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Roddick fires coach Goldfine, hires brother

By Matthew Cronin 4 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO, California (Reuters) - World number three Andy Roddick has fired his coach Dean Goldfine and hired his older brother John to replace him.

"I felt like I needed something fresh. It was more of a mutual decision between Dean and I," Roddick told reporters on Thursday, the day before he leads the U.S. team into a Davis Cup tie against Romania.

"It was getting a little stagnant. I don't know if I was doing justice to the level of Dean's coaching. We both needed to cut our losses."

John Roddick will be his brother's fourth coach since he joined the tour in 2000.

Roddick parted company with French Davis Cup player Tarik Benhabiles in 2003 and hired Brad Gilbert, who took him to the U.S. Open title and top of the world rankings.

After a five-month slump at the end of 2004, however, Roddick fired Gilbert and took on Goldfine, who had been a Davis Cup coach.

Roddick won five tournaments last year and reached the Wimbledon final, where he lost to Roger Federer.

But his shock first-round U.S. Open defeat by Gilles Muller of Luxembourg and loss to Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus in last month's Australian Open left Roddick looking for a new direction.

A former top collegiate player, John Roddick also coaches Ryan Sweeting of the Bahamas, the U.S. Open junior champion.

"John knows Andy as well as anyone," said U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe.

"He's never stopped following his game and won't be afraid to criticize Andy if he sees something going wrong. Maybe Andy needs some of that. He gets pissed off at me sometimes, too, but he willing to listen and it's a good sign. He really respects John."

guida
02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh well. At least Andy was willing to make a much needed change. And who knows, maybe John is the ideal sports shrink for him. :)

Noelle
02-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Andy is now eerily reminding me of another tennis player. One who wears Lacoste, used Babolat racquets, and has his brother as coach.

Arnaud Clement. :scared:

(yes, I know he's back with Head racquets.)

Noelle
02-10-2006, 12:48 AM
From the few interviews I've read where John and Andy were both present, I got the impression that Andy pretty much worships John and that John is one of the few people in this world who could probably control Andy better and get him to listen.:banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Well, that's got me pretty psyched up again. :)

nkhera1
02-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Dang seems like Roddick gets too "stagnant" with his coaches.

MisterQ
02-10-2006, 04:10 AM
LMFAO oh Q :worship: So are you coming? :devil:

I'd go Jew for you! :hearts:

partygirl
02-10-2006, 06:17 AM
From the few interviews I've read where John and Andy were both present, I got the impression that Andy pretty much worships John and that John is one of the few people in this world who could probably control Andy better and get him to listen. Sure, Andy could probably pick a fight with John easier but John could shove it right back at him and he wouldn't be afraid of Andy's wrath in the first place (unlike his other coaches). This is just my own interpretation.

i think that's perfectly illustrated & well put.
-id like to believe the same-

heya
02-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Prob is, Andy's head is up everyone's arse. They must have big asses.

the_natural
02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Michael f%$#ing stich Offered to coach him!! Wat the hell man why didnt he take up on the offer, Stich coulda made him a great all courter/all surface player, And I love Pat Rafter he is so level headed and down to earth and yeh he knows the game well but never had enough killer instinct to win more. Anyway 2 guys who could serve volley great, and pat had the most beautiful during his time they would definatley have improved his technique perfectly and taught him how to read for an opening or a short ball or a good aproach and also how to read opponents bodies to see where they will hit.

Foolish turn downs. Hopefully john will fix him up good

heya
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
The Roddick family's desire is to make money for his charity/friends' exhibitions. If he had travelled outside the US, they'd DISOWN him.

When he lost the Davis Cup 2002 tie against France, his parents looked like they expected him to fade away from the top 10.
At that time, he couldn't run or slide on clay.

sadhbh
02-11-2006, 08:49 AM
He does seem to go through coaches, I hope this was the right decision if it isn't it could lead to family arguments.

binkygirl
02-13-2006, 03:48 AM

I think that being taken out of one's comfort zone is the only way to grow, because it forces one to develop new skills. Andy needs that.

superpinkone37
02-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Andy said today during his interview after he won that he's been talking to Dean this whole weekend, so I guess no hard feelings or anything like that. :)

williaer
02-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Andy said today during his interview after he won that he's been talking to Dean this whole weekend, so I guess no hard feelings or anything like that. :)
Aw I know, hearing him say that made me so happy :)

Deboogle!.
02-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that made us all smile :) And we saw Andy hit for a few min before his match yesterday and John was out there with PMac and Doug and it seemed like a nice chill team, they all get along and stuff, so hopefully good things will come. However, Andy was standing a million feet behind the baseline yesterday, I know he said he did it somewhat intentionally but if John says this is the biggest thing he wants to work on with him, let's get it started MMKAY THANKS.

tangerine_dream
02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I liked the part of the interview where Andy said John's role is to beat him up. :lol: Good! :devil:

And after seeing John in his hat and glasses during the DC matches I am now convinced that Mardy Fish is his long lost twin.

Devotee
02-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Andy was standing a million feet behind the baseline yesterday, I know he said he did it somewhat intentionally but if John says this is the biggest thing he wants to work on with him, let's get it started MMKAY THANKS.

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking about that.
Believe me, I was getting more & more impatient as Andy kept himself behind that damn baseline! :(

Fumus
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I know what Andy should do, he should just get Federer to coach him, boom, problem solved and then he's back to winning the big titles again...lol

DJ dropshot
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been wondering if he has a line on Cahill. The way he answered the questions about John on court - "Is John your coach?" "He's gonna travel with me for now." Doesn't sound long term to me. Agassi pulling out of the SAP got me thinking that he would be my pick for Andy's coach. And a coach of Cahill's caliber would probably be interested in taking Andy back to the top. Just wild speculation that he has a line on him, knowing he can't say anything without compromising any of Agassi's plans.

partygirl
02-14-2006, 08:31 AM
And after seeing John in his hat and glasses during the DC matches I am now convinced that Mardy Fish is his long lost twin.

:o i know...forgive me but when i saw him on t.v i was like:
"whoose the kinda hottie?" :)
*shame, i know *shame*

Deboogle!.
02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I've been wondering if he has a line on Cahill. The way he answered the questions about John on court - "Is John your coach?" "He's gonna travel with me for now." Doesn't sound long term to me. Agassi pulling out of the SAP got me thinking that he would be my pick for Andy's coach. And a coach of Cahill's caliber would probably be interested in taking Andy back to the top. Just wild speculation that he has a line on him, knowing he can't say anything without compromising any of Agassi's plans.Maybe.. interesting theory, no way to know it's truth really but interesting nonetheless... then again people said the same thing about Roger then he got Tony on with the arrangement they have now. so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.

Fumus
02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Maybe.. interesting theory, no way to know it's truth really but interesting nonetheless... then again people said the same thing about Roger then he got Tony on with the arrangement they have now. so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.

I think Tennis-X has it right and we could be looking at Courier's old coach Brad Stine as Andy's coach.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I think Tennis-X has it right and we could be looking at Courier's old coach Brad Stine as Andy's coach.Mayhaps... he's a great coach.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Looks like Annacone may be in the mix too. is he not working with Timmay anymore?

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14750&bannerregion=

surfpinky
02-14-2006, 10:22 PM
wow, maybe timmay is retiring? Or something? |:

Deboogle!.
02-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Well if he was in La Jolla instead of Marseille with Tim....? :shrug: I dunno but he'd be a great coach for Andy IMO.

blosson
02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Everyone wants to be Andy's coach.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Sure because out of all the top players he arguably has among the most room to really improve.

heya
02-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Ya know...a coach who can actually play tennis.
"It'd be nice for you to weigh less than a retired player... um, rotate your hips, move your wrist and knees, not just dump a 140 mph ZINGER while a passing shot goes by you."

Noelle
02-15-2006, 01:16 AM
*gasp* Does this mean people who actually know something about tennis see Andy as still having potential? That he's not completely on the down-and-outs? Egads!

guida
02-15-2006, 01:21 AM
*gasp* Does this mean people who actually know something about tennis see Andy as still having potential? That he's not completely on the down-and-outs? Egads!

:lol: So it seems. ;)

MisterQ
02-15-2006, 03:55 AM
Everyone wants to be Andy's coach.

I wish Rod Laver would coach him. :cool:

Roger would be so jealous! :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2006, 03:56 AM
:haha: Rod Laver was at the DC Tie on Friday and did the coin toss, he and Andy chatted a bit before it ;)

sadhbh
02-15-2006, 09:02 AM
I just hope he can find some one good, although he could do a Feds and have no coach, see how that works out.

heya
02-15-2006, 10:13 AM
He's been putting more weight on his shoulders, which caused his back to tighten up. He has to be 8-10 pounds lighter...so he can hit bh/serve/volley with great disguise/power. HE weighs 10 pounds more than some 6'3' players.
You can't have fast feet when you're dragging 195 pounds of muscles.

3 years ago, he didn't overcrowd his schedule. He could overpower people; his torso and arms were thinner and he leaned into his forehand. Opponents in 2003 didn't play their best and were injured too.

Andy has a tiring schedule, and you need great health to play well.

Major problems: Lack of match play+ and not that many hitting partners.

blosson
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
I wish Rod Laver would coach him. :cool:

Roger would be so jealous! :lol:

It could be the only way to get to Roger's nerves. :lol:

But seriously, Rod (he's a legend!) but he played tennis in such a different era that I don't know if he's capable of coaching a modern day player.

MisterQ
02-15-2006, 06:31 PM
It could be the only way to get to Roger's nerves. :lol:

But seriously, Rod (he's a legend!) but he played tennis in such a different era that I don't know if he's capable of coaching a modern day player.

:lol:

Actually, I think some tennis fundamentals haven't changed that much. And Laver wasn't a serve-volleyer exactly... he was more of an all-court player with a massive forehand. That seems to be what Andy has been trying to make his game into (although we all debate whether this is wise ;) ).

Maybe he could take on more of a consultant role, like Tony Roche for Fed. (I'm fantasizing here... I have absolutely no idea if Rod would be interested!)

cobalt60
02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I use to joke about being the medical consultant for a player but .... honestly I don't think that it was nerves at DC. Ok off my soapbox now. I love Rod Laver's tennis. One of the reasons I started to play tennis so very very very long ago.

cobalt60
02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
If anyone is interested check out tennis week- there is a nice article about Annacone and rumors in regard to Andy hiring him as a consultant. Now if this has already been posted I apologise I don't have the time to go back over all the threads and posts:o

Fumus
02-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Grass is Andy's best surface...but, if it was something that was more widely used/played on..on the tour, I think Andy would realize hc is his best surface.

partygirl
02-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Grass is Andy's best surface...but, if it was something that was more widely used/played on..on the tour, I think Andy would realize hc is his best surface.

i think so too.

it seems easy to say its my best when you play 2 tournaments on it all year:lol:

heya
02-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Mr. "broccoli" Bracialli had no problem ripping powerful shots at Andy on grass.
Andy didn't even like grass. He said, "I suck on grass" in 2003. :smoke:
Wow, the talent was there, but no real coach and little experience.
I mean, why win GSs when there are DC ties and exhibitions to lose at....?