CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!!! ... Davis Cup 2006 1st Round Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!!! ... Davis Cup 2006 1st Round Thread

Fergie
02-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok, time to cheer for Feña in Davis Cup against Slovak Republic

Team:

Fernando Gonzalez
Nicolas Massu
Adrian Garcia
Paul Capdeville

Vamos Feña, Vamos Chile!!! :bounce:

enqvistfan
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Gracias Fergie :hug:
Did you enjoy your evening yesterday ?

Fergie
02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Gracias Fergie :hug:
Did you enjoy your evening yesterday ?
Yeah, was a good match ... Sad for the result but it's ok, Nico did a great job all the week :)

FelipeMIA89
02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
VAMOS CHILENOS!!! AHORA SI QUE GANAMOS!!

enqvistfan
02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Article from La Tercera, today :)

González: "We are optimistic and anxious for Friday"

"The bombardero de la Reina" assured that there are still some days left to arrive in the perfect conditions of the duel for the DC Tie against Slovakia, whereas Massu declared that their duel with Hrbaty will be the key.

The Chilean Team, in this morning press conference, showed its confidence regarding their match against the Slovakian team. In this occasion, the players and captain Hans Gildemeister agreed that the duel will be very complicated, but the good preparation that they have had gives them much optimism.

"Physically, I am a little tired, but there are three days left to adapt us well to the court. We are optimistic and anxious for Friday because we want to see medialuna full ", the bombardero de la Reina said.

On the other hand, Nicolas Massú assured that all the points will be important in this match, taking off a little the pressure of the duel against Dominik Hrbaty, considered as the main key. "the duel with Hrbaty is not a tactically important point because here, it is necessary to gain three points to remain with the qualification and obtaining it, is anyway important", he emphasized.

The captain of the team, Hans Gildemeister, assures that "the court is every time better" and in the beginning of the matches, he indicated that "it would be good that Fernando plays the first one, because the second single match is the weakest point of them and in addition is an extra pressure for Hrbaty.

http://deportes.tvn.cl/detalle.aspx?IdC=194881&IdS=14
It's a video of the practrices of Rancagua, with interviews of Fernando and Massu

Fergie
02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I want a 5-0 :angel:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
They will win,5-0 or 4-1! :aplot:

Pattyta
02-08-2006, 03:25 PM
We will win!!!!
Come on boys you can do it

Fergie
02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
They will win,5-0 or 4-1! :aplot:
5-0 is better :angel:

Vamos Chile!!! :bounce:

RogiFan88
02-09-2006, 06:16 PM
09 Feb 2006 - Medialuna Monumental of Rancagua, Rancagua, CHI - Rodrigo Valdebenito

Gonzalez begins Chilean quest for quarterfinals
The draw has been made for the Chile v Slovak Republic tie in Rancagua and is as follows:

Order of Play

Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) v Michal Mertinak (SVK)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Fernando Gonzalez/Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Dominik Hrbaty/Michal Mertinak (SVK)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) v Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Michal Mertinak (SVK)

Fernando Gonzalez will begin his country’s quest for their first Davis Cup by BNP Paribas quarterfinal spot since 1982. The hard-hitting Chilean will face Michal Mertinak in the first singles in Rancagua on Friday when the hosts take on last year’s finalist the Slovak Republic.

A mystery is solved

One of the key issues of the tie was whether Tibor Toth - acting as the Slovak captain in the absence of regular captain Miloslav Mecir, who could not fly due to a back injury -would use Michal Mertinak as the second singles player for Friday.

Mertinak only arrived on Tuesday afternoon in sunny Rancagua, where hot and dry weather and a slow clay court produce very different conditions from the indoor tournaments he has played in Europe. It was thought that perhaps Toth would choose Lukas Lacko, a rising young player, and reserve Mertinak for the doubles and the final singles, and the Slovak captain himself had not wanted to comment on the issue earlier. At the draw however the name of Mertinak appeared as second singles player for the Slovak Republic.

“I had my doubts (about the second Slovak singles player),” said Hans Gildemeister, the Chilean captain. “He (Mertinak) was playing indoors and now will have to face the heat. Fernando must take advantage of that match.”

Gonzalez had said earlier that it felt normal not to know for sure who he would play on Friday. “It happens all the time in the tour, so it’s no problem. We have to win, whoever we play against”.

Massú had similar feelings about having to play the second singles: “It’s the same. It has no importance whatsoever to play the first or the second match. You have to face the same opponent anyway on the same day”.

The Chilean team had a bit of trouble during their practise days. González has a sore shoulder, but it seems to be merely muscle fatigue. Massú, on the other hand, had to play the final of the Viña del Mar tournament on Sunday night, so he practised very lightly during Monday and Tuesday, increasing his workload on Wednesday.

Former favourites, current underdogs

The Slovak Republic reached the final of last year’s Davis Cup, but now the nation is clearly not the favourite against Chile, who play at home on their favorite surface, red clay. However Hrbaty, Mertinak and the rest of the team are ready for the challenge.

“I don’t know where the rumours came from” said Michal Mertinak. “I am physically fit for the tie, and will do my best against González. He is No. 15 in the world, playing at home on his favourite surface. A win over him would be a surprise, and I have nothing to lose.”

Dominik Hrbaty has faith in his team mate. “Michal has good tactics against González, so he can do a good job.” About Massú, his opponent for Friday, Hrbaty was very clear. “I know all about him and he knows all about me. It will be an interesting match”.

Related Davis Cup news on other websites
> Informacion en espanol - FTCH
> Slovak Tennis Association - www.stz.sk

Related Links on Daviscup.com
> Tie Information for CHI v SVK
> Scorecards and statistics CHI v SVK

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=13605

sonia
02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Vamos Feña!!!! :bigclap:
Good luck Chile!!! :yeah:

GonzoFan
02-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Good Luck Chile!!!! we must win !!!!

I'm so sad cause I was going to go to DC but I had some problems and it seems that I won't be able to go :sad:

anyway, with or without me there you guys must win !!!! :lol:

VAMOS !!!

enqvistfan
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
The first singles will start at 16.00 (local time) and the double at 19.00 (local time), so great because in Europe, we won't have to stay up all night, very positive thing :yeah:
Mucha suerte chicos :bounce:

Fergie
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Vamos Feña, vamos Chile!!! :bounce:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Vamos Feña!!! :rocker2: And I hope Massu will his matches too! :aplot:

Chileno
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
CHILE will win, no question about it. ;)

Sparko1030
02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Buena Suerte to the Chilean team!!! :rocker: VAMOS!!!

DhammaTiger
02-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Vamos Chile!! Vamos Fena!! I hope Fena's shoulder holds up and he can kick ass!! Good Luck to all Chileans!!!

RogiFan88
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Poor Fena, he's clearly hurting, I mean, why s he be taken to 2 TBs by Mertinak? At least Fena is up 76(5) 76(3) and 20 the last time I checked the sb. But he better win this set now or he won't be in any shape to play another match this weekend.

VAMOS, FENA!!

RogiFan88
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
What was the 3rd set score?

RogiFan88
02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Duh... I'm confused... now I look at the scoring thread and it's 1-1 in the 3rd...
[I blame AA for Fena's form now... ]:mad:

RogiFan88
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
YAY, FENA won vs. Mertinak 63 in the 3rd! Hope he's OK tho... I'm a little concerned... get some rest and treatment, Fena!!

Looks nice and sunny there while it's snowing lightly here! ;)

enqvistfan
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Congrats Fernando, he won in 3 sets 7/6 7/6 6/3 but was a tough match !!! Hope Nico will win the second match !!!

olimpo
02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Congrats Fernando :) So proud he managed to win in straight sets despite he's hurting :worship:

Hope he's okay and it won't be too much with the doubles tomorrow.......

Sparko1030
02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
:banana: Way to win Fernando!!!! Not as easy as I anticipated but a great win none the less. Good Luck to Nico now! :hatoff:

+alonso
02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
At the end of the first set of Massu match you'll be able to hear Fernando's entire press conference in www.cooperativa.cl Senal en Vivo

DhammaTiger
02-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Congrats Gonzo for winning in 3 sets. I hope his shoulder holds out for the doubles. Vamos Chile!!!

Fergie
02-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Not the best match for Feña but he wins :yeah: ... His shoulder again and looked like Feña wasn't confortable with the court.

I just love Horacio as commentator, he is so funny :lol:

RogiFan88
02-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Horacio as commentator? Hey, I'm missing all this fun stuff!

YAY for Nico!

CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE

VIVA CHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Surely he won,he didn't play that great tough. :)
Today they will win the doubles,just hope they finish it quickly! http://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gif

enqvistfan
02-11-2006, 08:18 AM
DC Website :)

Gonzalez delivers first point for Chile

Fernando Gonzalez defeated Michal Mertinak 76(5) 76(3) 63 in a closer match than many expected to give Chile the first point against 2005 Finalists the Slovak Republic in this Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round tie.

The pre-match odds seemed stacked in Gonzalez’s favour. Gonzalez was opening the tie in his country and on his best surface, while Mertinak had to travel 14 hours on a plane to arrive last Tuesday, only three days before the tie, and had to suddenly adapt to summer temperatures and dry weather after some time at European indoor tournaments.

Moreover, it had been rumoured that Slovak captain Tibor Toth would pick young hopeful Lukas Lacko in order to let Mertinak increase his adaptation to the court and the climate.

Good performance from Mertinak

None of this happened. Actually, Mertinak not only was on the court in the first single, but also played extremely well, with an unusually high first serve percentage in the first two sets, while Gonzalez’s sore shoulder did not allow him to use his usual power serve.

The first set went to Gonzalez 7-5 on the tiebreak, but only after two breaks, one for each player. The second set was no different than the first; Mertinak continued with his high efficiency and Gonzalez had to struggle in order to hold his serve. Perhaps things could have been different if Mertinak had taken advantage of the many break points he had, three in the first set and four in the second, but he only clinched one of them. This led to another tiebreak, and another win for Gonzalez – this time 7-3.

Gonzalez came through in the end

The third set saw Gonzalez move up a gear, as the two-set lead gave him what he most needed: confidence. Mertinak, on the other hand, started to feel the pressure and looked tired; he dropped his serve once and let the home player take the set 63. The 10,000 crowd went wild, and the rest of the team (including guest and former world No. 1Marcelo Rios) celebrated the first point of the tie.

“To be with such a crowd is a wonderful feeling, it motivates you and helps you to overcome a good opponent,” Gonzalez said.
“(Mertinak) played well and had nothing to lose, so he went there and did his best”.

“My tennis was not so good today, and my shoulder feels a little tight, but I’m sure we’ll do fine”.

A quick clay court?

The court appeared to play quick for a clay court, while Gonzalez is known for preferring very slow courts.

“There is nothing we can do about that…. It’s summer, it’s warm, the court is quicker than I would prefer. But today I had to play at four in the afternoon, tomorrow we play at seven, and in that three hours the temperature drops and the court gets slower. I am confident in our victory.”

Mertinak looked very calm about his defeat: “Today I served very well, but it was not enough. The court was fine, I felt very comfortable.”

When asked about the doubles match, where they will face the 2004 Olympic Champions, Mertinak was philosophical.

“I don’t know, they are a good pairing. I will probably play with Hrbaty, and anyone can win.”

Now Olympic double gold medallist Nicolas Massu faces Dominik Hrbaty, in a battle of two men known for long matches and courageous victories.

NicoFan
02-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Congrats to Fernando! :bounce:

:woohoo:

Just hope they can win today in doubles - just get it done - and then Fernando can skip the singles and save his shoulder a bit.

FelipeMIA89
02-12-2006, 12:29 AM
CHIILE WON!!! CHILE TO QUARTER-FINALS!! WOOHOOO!! CONGRATS GONZALEZ/MASSU!!

Fergie
02-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Well done boys!!! :banana:

Sparko1030
02-12-2006, 01:10 AM
YEAY for Chile!!!! and YEAY for Fena and Nico!!! :woohoo:

Fergie
02-12-2006, 01:37 AM
:worship:

Gonzalez and Massu book quarterfinal spot

Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu maintained their impressive Davis Cup doubles form as they recorded their fourth successive victory by defeating the Slovak team of Lukas Lacko and Michal Mertinak 62 75 36 64 in the third rubber of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round tie.

Chile now has an unassailable 3-0 lead against last year's runner-up the Slovak Republic and advances to the quarterfinals for the first time since 1982.

In April's quarterfinal, Chile will travel to the US or host Romania, depending on the outcome of the tie in La Jolla, CA, where USA leads 2-1 after the doubles rubber.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-12-2006, 05:05 AM
http://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gif That's really great!!! :aparty: Feña doesn't have to play more singles match and I hope his form will be better soon.Less play ues and less me feel heart attack! :lol:

enqvistfan
02-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Congrats boys :yeah: I hope it will be Romania next !

Fergie
02-12-2006, 11:02 AM
http://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gifhttp://forum.ragezone.com/images/smilies/3dflagsdotcom_chile_2faws.gif That's really great!!! :aparty: Feña doesn't have to play more singles match and I hope his form will be better soon.
Yeah, or Feña might not play in Memphis :sad:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, or Feña might not play in Memphis :sad:
I'd rather him play when he recovers. :)

enqvistfan
02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd rather him play when he recovers. :)

Just after there are a lot of MS coming up, so I would prefer him skip Memphis or/and Vegas

RogiFan88
02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
WOW!!!!!

CHILE ROCKS!

Fergie
02-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Just after there are a lot of MS coming up, so I would prefer him skip Memphis or/and Vegas
I agree ... Everything what matters now in his shoulder, take a rest Feña :hug:

LOVELY
02-12-2006, 05:16 PM
:worship: CONGRATS CHILE :bigclap:

sonia
02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Congrats boys!!! :bigclap: Well done Gonzo!!!! :yeah:

GonzoFan
02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm a little bit late but it is because I couldn't come to my aunt's house before :sad:

CONGRATS CHILE !!!!!

I'm so happy for my country!!!!!!! this is so great!!!! after 24 years we finally are in the QFs of the Davis Cup !!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The doubles match was so exciting!!!!! and the celebration with all the champagne and Feña running everywhere cause the chilean team wanted to take Feña's pants off :haha: it was so funny!!!! but our Feña is strong and they couldn't take them off :lol:

:woohoo: VIVA CHILE !!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Thanks Gonzo and Massu for this great victory! :yeah:

GonzoFan
02-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree ... Everything what matters now in his shoulder, take a rest Feña :hug:

I also agree :yeah:

he needs to take care and rest that shoulder :hug:

Saw him in Mega yesterday and he said that he won't play Memphis and it's probably that he also will withdraw from Vegas ...
And he also said that today he was going to the south for about 3-4 days this week

That's great! there he'll be able to rest and take a nice break!

Please Feña take care of yourself!!! :hug:

Sparko1030
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm a little bit late but it is because I couldn't come to my aunt's house before :sad:

CONGRATS CHILE !!!!!

I'm so happy for my country!!!!!!! this is so great!!!! after 24 years we finally are in the QFs of the Davis Cup !!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The doubles match was so exciting!!!!! and the celebration with all the champagne and Feña running everywhere cause the chilean team wanted to take Feña's pants off :haha: it was so funny!!!! but our Feña is strong and they couldn't take them off :lol:

:woohoo: VIVA CHILE !!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Thanks Gonzo and Massu for this great victory! :yeah:

:bigwave: Hi Gonzofan!!! What a great match for you to see!!! That is so funny the team was trying to take Fernando's shorts off-Fena in his underwear-now that would have been a sight to see!!! :haha: Lucky for Fena he is strong! (too bad for us though ;) )

I'm relieved to hear he's taking some time off too-very wise IMO.

RogiFan88
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Fena, you don't have to be so strong all the time!! ;)

Good move, Fena, better to rest and recuperate rather than play just to play...

enqvistfan
02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=GonzoFan]I also agree :yeah:

he needs to take care and rest that shoulder :hug:

Saw him in Mega yesterday and he said that he won't play Memphis and it's probably that he also will withdraw from Vegas ...
And he also said that today he was going to the south for about 3-4 days this week
QUOTE]

Good decision to not play in Memphis and (maybe) Vegas. He has some importants tournaments coming up.

Hope he'll have a nice rest in the south :hug: