Davis Cup

Bangkok - 1R
Tokyo - 2R
Madrid - 3R
Paris - 3R

Aberdeen Cup

Duncan
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
i still predict Andy to get a seeding for Wimbledon!

musefanatic
02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I hope so too duncan, it's be great and amazing if he could! :)

shyscots25
02-09-2006, 07:16 PM
its not been the best start to the year with a combination of unluckily tough draws accompanied with some very poor form frankly, but all it will take is two very good tournmanents and andy can leap up quite a bit. if he does make it it will be by making a ranking in the low 30's to achieve his seeding. anything higher and he would need to win a few tournaments, which is unlikely. its hard to judge how he will perform on the dirt in the spring and a lot could depend on that. hopefully the hard court run leading up to the two big masters events will see a nice pick up in results.

MrExcel
02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a feeling the clay court season is going to be very tough for Andy. I'm not sure his game is quite where it needs to be to play the top clay events yet, especially his serve. But I think by the time Wimbledon and the US hard court season comes around we'll hopefully see some big steps made :)

shyscots25
02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
But his serve isn't the biggest factor on clay, so you could argue that it might be something of a leveller for him actually. My fear is more that he might be outmuscled by some of the other players on the dirt, but generally his returns (his main strength at the moment) should keep him in most games, and cause problems for most of the players he will face. Games with andy on clay will involve many breaks of serve - something we tennis fans expect on the dirt anyway.

Anyway his hard court run in good ole USA starts with a first round match against Mardy Fish, who of course beat him last year, so let's hope for some comeback as the yanks would say! He seems to be the main match on monday evening, and would likely face James Blake if he wins. There is coverage on eurosport from the semi-finals onwards, so let's hope he makes it this far! Time for a few wins. He can and should beat Mardy this time, as for James, we shall see! Its hard to predict with Andy at the moment.

MrExcel
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Andy won't be playing a clay court warm up event. He obviously thought it would be too tough straight after Davis Cup indoors in Scotland, so he'll be straight in at the deep end in Monte-Carlo!

MrExcel
03-15-2006, 06:53 AM
It's confirmed that Andy will play in Barcelona, no surprise there!

musefanatic
03-15-2006, 09:31 PM
hehe thanks for letting us know andymonium :)

MrExcel
03-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Andy will be playing in Estoril too, so that's five consecutive weeks on clay from Monte-Carlo... hope he's up to it! :)

OddJob
03-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Well Andy has said Clay is his best surface. I tend not to agree but we'll find out soon enough.

shyscots25
03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
His game should suit all surfaces; his drop shots which he favours a lot sometimes could really come into their own. His all-round return ability should see him able to cope with most of the players on tour, but compared to some of the clay court stars, he may lack some of the real hustle and power. Will be interesting to see though!!

I just hope he does better in Miami, because his serve let him down badly against davy. He could have a good run or it could be another early exit. With Andy this year, we just don't know!!!!

kundalini
03-24-2006, 02:48 PM
I would take a guess that this would be his schedule for this year:

Adelaide - 2R
Auckland - 2R
Australian Open - 1R

Zagreb - 1R
San Jose - WON
Memphis - QF
Las Vegas - 1R
Indian Wells - 2R
Miami

Davis Cup

Monte-Carlo
Barcelona
Estoril
Rome
Hamburg
Roland Garros

Queen's
Nottingham
Wimbledon

Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Toronto
Cincinnati
US Open

Davis Cup

Bangkok
Vienna
Madrid
Basel
Paris
Shanghai (we can dream!!!)

Does anyone have any more information or places he's said he'll definately go to?

Given Andy's recent displays and his post-match comments, it seems his schedule has been poorly designed, leaving him exhausted, homesick and fed up - most of which could have been predicted given this is his first full year on the main tour. Is it a surprise that his only decent performances have come in the week when his girlfriend accompanied him?

If they had any courage they would have sent Andy home after Indian Wells, missing Miami, but leaving him refreshed for the clay court season. But apparently rest isn't a word that Petchey recognises.

After Wimbledon he'll need a significant break, another long trip to the States is ridiculous given what has happened in the spring. Far more sensible to play Washington, then the two Masters events, then the US Open.

And similarly in the autumn, an exhausted Andy is unlikely to pick up many points. Whereas a fresh, motivated Murray might well reach semis or even finals of events.

As for the current clay court schedule, it is madness. What is he doing in Estoril and St Poelten? No-one in their right mind plays every week during the clay court season.

Right now it seems the only tournaments Andy will have a chance in are the ones that happen to fall during Kim's college holidays. What state is Andy going to be in for Wimbledon?

MrExcel
03-24-2006, 05:43 PM
As for the current clay court schedule, it is madness. What is he doing in Estoril and St Poelten? No-one in their right mind plays every week during the clay court season.

He's playing St. Polten?!? :eek:

kundalini
03-24-2006, 10:10 PM
In his post match interview at Miami he listed the clay court events that Petchey had him down to play, then said something about being exhausted and not knowing when he was going to get a rest.

Q. You say it's been quite a long trip. Would you say the tiredness is more mental or physical?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I'd probably say mental. You know, it's really hard playing, you know, or being away for kind of six, seven weeks at a time. And I know if I do well here, I've got Davis Cup straight after, which is, you know, a week of practice and then possibly three five‑set matches. Then I've got to go and practice on the clay before Monte‑Carlo. Then you've got Monte‑Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril, Rome, Hamburg, St. Polten and the French Open. It's quite tough when you're coming to the end of a trip like this and you know if you do well you've still got another kind of six, seven weeks of hard work before the next Grand Slam.

http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/2006/interviews/0322g.html

MrExcel
03-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Oh right I didn't see that! Thanks. I guess he'll get his Wimbledon seeding... not much use if you're exhausted though!!

shyscots25
03-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes but sometimes less is more. He has few points to defend, he needs to play in the big clay ones, monte-carlo, hamburg and rome etc, but i dare say the odd week off will do no harm. He should get his seeding for the french, he has no points to defend and can rise places even with poor results as players with big points to defend tumble down.

Anyway if he is injured he may get a wee rest before the clay anyway, we shall have to wait and see if he even plays DC.

As for after wimbledon he will have a rest i am sure. I have high hopes for andy at SW19. He has cleverly played it down, but i think you can tell he wants to do badly there. It could be a huge breakthrough for him, as recent history tends to suggest that roddick and fed express aside a lot of the big players struggle, and the line-ups in the last 8 onwards can often leave opportunities for players like Andy that would be far less likely at some of the other grand slams.

Duncan
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I see no reason for him to be exhausted. Lots of early exits from tournies... maybe he is having too much sex with his girlfriend?

MrExcel
03-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Is there such a thing?

shyscots25
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I think it was more mental towards the end of his US stint. He should benefit from heading back to Europe, and to be honest it may be no bad thing if he misses DC. It will be bad for Britain as we will almost certainly lose the tie. Rusedski is in poor form and you would have to expect djokovic to boss both his singles rubbers.

I agree with Duncan, he hasn't played that much this year. In fact lets to be honest, San Jose aside and the odd set here and there he has been rubbish this year. More is to come i am sure, but we will have to wait for it!

His girl is quite cute, i'd be exhausted too! You could never have too much of that!!

Xmanfan
04-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I would take a guess that this would be his schedule for this year:

Adelaide - 2R
Auckland - 2R
Australian Open - 1R

Zagreb - 1R
San Jose - WON
Memphis - QF
Las Vegas - 1R
Indian Wells - 2R
Miami - 1R

Davis Cup

Monte-Carlo
Barcelona
Estoril
Rome
Hamburg
Pörtschach
Roland Garros

Queen's
Nottingham
Wimbledon

Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Toronto
Cincinnati
US Open

Davis Cup

Bangkok
Vienna
Madrid
Basel
Paris
Shanghai (we can dream!!!)

Does anyone have any more information or places he's said he'll definately go to?

I did post this in Nov 2005 but don't know where it's gone. Anyway, here it is again:

adelaide
auckland
aussie open
san jose
memphis
las vegas
Indian Wells
Miami
Davis Cup
Monte Carlo
Estoril
Rome
Hamburg
French Open
Queens
Wimbledon
LA
Washington
Toronto
Cincinatti
US Open
Beijing
Tokyo
Bangkok
Madrid
Basel
Paris

(info courtesy of Petchey & Judy - Nov 2005)

MrExcel
04-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Andy won't be travelling to Pörtschach now, despite the rumours. I'm glad they saw sense with his schedule!

Sweet4Richard
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm thankful to hear that too. I thought that was a bit too many tournaments. :)

shyscots25
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
From the tournaments he will play he has plenty of chances to rise up the rankings. He is due a few runs as there have been too many early exits this year. That isn't a criticism as if you look at the performances of the other young stars (berdych and monfils for example) they have not really done any better. This will be an up and down year, but would be nice to see a few peaks in the next few weeks. Andy can perform well at the french open, with a seeding the fourth round would be a realistic target. He can play on the dirt, how well at ATP level is something we shall find out soon!

MrExcel
04-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Andy has withdrawn from Estoril, not sure why. So just Rome and Hamburg left before the French Open.

MrExcel
05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Andy is on the entry list for Newport the week after Wimbledon. I guess he's decided to give 'the worst court he's ever played on' a second chance ;)

A Rusedski-Murray final would be nice :)

This is, of course, good practise for both of them as their next Davis Cup tie is played straight afterwards on the grass at Eastbourne.

MrExcel
06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm a little confused that Andy (and Greg) are on the entry list for Indianapolis (15th-23rd July) as their Davis Cup tie is 21st-23rd July in Eastbourne!

Surely they haven't both declined the Davis Cup? If not then how can they be playing a tournament the same week??

MrExcel
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Andy is confirmed for Los Angeles.

MrExcel
06-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Andy has added Nottingham to his grass court schedule following his first round loss as Queen's.

MrExcel
10-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Andy now has no chance of qualifying for Shanghai with his 3rd round loss...

He has pondered continuing this season but has confirmed he will go to Basel at least.

10-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Andy now has no chance of qualifying for Shanghai with his 3rd round loss...

He has pondered continuing this season but has confirmed he will go to Basel at least.
I don't think he should just quit playing Tournaments because he won't be going to Shanghai. There are still Tournaments to try to win not to mention the money that goes along with winning :D

MrExcel
10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
I don't think he should just quit playing Tournaments because he won't be going to Shanghai. There are still Tournaments to try to win not to mention the money that goes along with winning :D

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well! His chances of qualifying were incredibly slim anyway, it was more because he's very emotionly tired from his long year.