When Will Haas Breakthrough at a Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When Will Haas Breakthrough at a Slam?

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 12:55 AM
He's broke through in a sense, by making the semis at Oz twice.

But IMO, from what I saw in Toronto, it would be a damn shame if he never won a slam.

Of all the players that I saw there, no one made me think "wow" like his game did - and that is even accounting for the bias I have for certain faves of mine that I watched.

He has every shot in the book, he covers the court well, his serve is superb, he's getting better mentally.

The question of course is still IF he will win a slam, but IMO it should be when...

Any thoughts?

Ace Tracker
08-05-2002, 01:07 AM
that's right, Becca, Tommy is too good a player not to win a Grand Slam...his is an all around game, his backhand is one of the most beautiful shots in the Tour and his serve has improved considerably...I actually thought that he outplayed Cañas and this tournament was his to lose...what I don't see in Haas is the dog attitude to fight hard for every ball, that Hewitt displays constantly, and that is what is hurting his career achievements IMO...that's the same lackadaisical attitute that Rios brings to court sometimes, and no wonder they were hitting buddies few years back...

safin_fan
08-05-2002, 01:37 AM
He has a good chance winning the Aussie Open.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 01:51 AM
I dont really find his attitude to be as terrible as Rios', but I see what you are saying.

What really got me about Haas was just how EASY he made it look - no one made it look that easy. He would hit the most spectacular return (I forgot to mention that those are good too!), and it was just pure instinct.

He's flick some awesome cross court winner, and not even appear to think about it.

I mean, that just isn't something you learn, you have it or you dont.

safin_fan - I agree about the Aus Open, he seems to start the year well, and has a good record there with both his semis. In fact I thought he was going to beat Marat this year.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 01:52 AM
If it seems I'm picking an odd time to jump on the TOmmy wagon -

The few times I've seen him on tv, usually weren't his good days (ie' hamburg to agassi), and before last week I'd never seen him live.

So that is where this sudden burst of inspiration has came from ;)

Leo7
08-05-2002, 02:24 AM
i thought he was gonna win the US Open last year. maybe he would have if the damn rain didn't fall when he was up a set over Lleyton in the 4th round!:( i think he will be a contender at the Open again this year, and could very well go all the way.

Tommy is one of the FEW players to beat Lleyton on hard courts in the past 52 weeks (Stuttgart Semis) and that win broke Hewitt's 15-match win streak. he has the game to win on EVERY surface, but i especially like his hard-court game. his best success has come on the hard courts or sure.

maybe right now he needs to improve his consistency and shot selection. but he really has matured SO MUCH in the past year, i think he will definitely win AT LEAST one GS in his career.

i'll be cheering for him with Juanqui at the USO this year. i would love for him to win it for his parents!:D

TheBoiledEgg
08-05-2002, 02:54 AM
he will win the AUS open next yr i'd say

his game oozes class

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 03:09 AM
I don't know very much about Haas or his game, but I agree, what I've seen is very, very impressive. I think he will win a Slam, but maybe only after those pesky ball-runners (Potato, I'm looking at you) wear themselves out :)

Like every other player who wants to win or has won a Slam, he has to be on top of his game in every match. It seems to me he gets little mental hiccups at the most inopportune times . . . but he's young yet.

What's the average age of the Slam winners this year? 26 or so? (Not counting the anomaly that was Wimbly). He has time :)

the cat
08-05-2002, 03:22 AM
I can see Haas making another slam semi or two. But I don't think he'll win a slam. Could he? Of course. With Sampras and Agassi on the decline, it's wide open as to who can win a slam.
I'm going to change my opinion. I think he will win a slam.

And Eggy's right. Haas is a classy player. And classy person!

Maybe the question should be, will Safin ever win another slam?

Dissident
08-05-2002, 05:09 AM
Well, as this thread is about Haas, I will talk about him...
Tommy is very talented. He used to have HUGE mental problems though. Usually, when he is on court, the match is all about him. He wins it or he loses it. He can hit many aces, and he can get like 3 double faults in a row. Its just the way he is.
Technically speaking, he can do anything. Just look at his performance on Stuttgart Indoor TMS last year. He was perfect there. He is got one of the best backhands out there, a huge serve, a great all-around game and he is good at the net. What he needs more is consistency, especially in his forehand.
If he can win a Slam, definitely he can. And soon. I thought he was not ready last year in Stuttgart and he showed he is. He can win the big ones too. Its just a matter of luck for things to work during the right time. In my opinion, it would be a lot more pertinent to be talking about him as a contender for the USOpen that, say, Roddick. He can win there, for sure. But he will need consistency.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 07:03 AM
THanks everyone for your thoughts..

Hitman I agree, he will be totally overlooked at the US Open in favour of someone like Roddick. Then if he does well they will talk about how its just suck a surprise :rolleyes: ;)

With Sampras and Agassi on the decline, it's wide open as to who can win a slam.

Trying to recall the last time that Agassi or Pete won a slam - oh that is right, Aussie 2001. Thanks, for a second there I thought that you were still thinking they were the main contendors.

Layla
08-05-2002, 09:38 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that Tommy will win a Grand Slam, probably sooner rather than later. Imo, he's one of the main contenders for the US Open crown, although I do agree that the Australian Open is more likely to be his first.

I also think he will overcome his mental hiccups (if he hasn't already). I noticed that he had matured even before his parents' accident, but an event like that really puts life into perspective. I wish him all the luck in the world (unless he's playing against Ferrero ;)).

Nimi
08-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Tommy Tommy Tommy... I really thought he will win OZ this year, but those last two sets against Marat... Ugh... He does have one of the best backhands on the tour, & he proved that he can hold it mentally in that match against Federer in Oz Land. Go Tommy!

warfreakbix
08-05-2002, 11:43 AM
I also think that Haas will make a Slam breakthrough in Australia because of the heat (he's pretty used to it because he trains in Florida, I think). The when is the question we should ask Haas!

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 06:43 PM
I almost had forgotten about the silver medal that he won on rebound ace as well :o

So he's won rebound ace tournaments before, two semis, and a silver medal - Oz has nice name all over it ;)

tennis elbow
04-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I can see Haas making another slam semi or two. But I don't think he'll win a slam. Could he? Of course. With Sampras and Agassi on the decline, it's wide open as to who can win a slam.
I'm going to change my opinion. I think he will win a slam.

And Eggy's right. Haas is a classy player. And classy person!

Maybe the question should be, will Safin ever win another slam?

it's funny when you browse through some of these older threads to see how people used to think differently back then... the cat has been right so far about Haas, but Safin has proved him wrong, but who could blame him for not trusting in the OAF?

TheBoiledEgg
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
his time was lost thru the missed months

sadly for him that was probably gonne be the time. :sad:

now its passed and doesnt look like getting near to one.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 06:21 PM
He won't win one.

Neely
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't think either he will win a Slam... but well, had anybody thought that other "surprise" winners will win one, a year, months before? :p

BTW, I agree with TBE's post.

Sjengster
04-06-2005, 06:27 PM
The description of Haas as a classy person is one of the best laughs I've had on here. And his game is as dull as ditchwater too, I gather Bollettieri developed him as this all-court player but whenever I see him he just retreats behind the baseline and cracks the ball hard without actually trying to do anything with it.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
In the personality stakes give me Kiefer over Haas anyday and classy wouldn't be the first thing that enters my mind when it's about Haas, though he has a very good backhand.

sigmagirl91
04-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Haas? Breakthrough in a GS? Don't make me laugh....

TennisLurker
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Actually, Haas does change the height and pace of his forehand very often, and can can hit slice and topspin very well with his backhand, in fact in another message board when he was number 2 his nickname was Conchita Martinez, he does play far behind the baseline but I wouldnt call him an untalented ball basher like Davydenko for example.

I always thought he should do better on clay.

Sjengster
04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
I thought you said last year that he was overrated, the only reason he had such a good record against Roddick was because most of his wins were on clay and he wasn't actually that good a claycourt player? He does have a very western grip on his forehand, and although the backhand is an all-round class shot, his passive limitations have really been exposed at times. I recall the Rome final against Agassi, where he refused to change the pattern of play and ended up being stuck on a piece of string until he crumbled physically in the third set.

Anyway, regardless of the attributes of his game I will never, ever support the man after some of the behaviour I saw from him on the court last year.

TennisLurker
04-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I still think the same.

Chloe le Bopper
04-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Ugh, I would like to forget about my former high hopes for Haas, if I may.

MrOschie
04-06-2005, 11:47 PM
never !

Jogy
04-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Haas? Breakthrough in a GS? Don't make me laugh....
Laughing? The same I would say when anybody asks me when Nalbandian has a break through winning a Grand Slam, let alone win a little tournament which he didn't do for years and all after that he is a top 10 player for long time :rolls: :wavey:

Federerhingis
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Chloe I couldnt agree with you more, Tommy has such a graceful game, prior to Federer and on the verge of Sampras' retirement Haas always caught my attention, his game is just so smooth, It was a pleasure watching him win during his runs in 99 and 2002. When he was ranked #2 you could almost see he was going to be a permanent figure in the top 5. He really shouldnt be losing to guys like Ancic, yes he's a great player but Haas in my opinion has a more complete game. I sure hope he can find his form, it was an amazing feat of his to come back the way he did last year, his ranking was so low one would have never guessed he would be in the top 50 let alone top 20 and making a threat for the top 15, but of late he's been in a bit of a slump or bad patch during the season, at least I hope. He almost seemed bound to win at the Aussie, the surface really compliments his all court game, and he seemed quite adept with the bounce of the aussie courts. I sure hope he wins a slam before he retires, he really deserves one, his game would certainly make a good argument for why he should win one one day.

Jogy
04-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I always thought he should do better on clay.
I say Haas is a good player on clay, top 25 for me. He hardly loosing to bad players in the last year on clay. The loss to Karlovic was probably his most bad. But his other losses were all to good clayplayers like Ferrero, Kuerten, Chela, Gonzalez, Youzhny, Agassi, Robredo, Costa. Players he cannot beat on that court.

Jogy
04-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Very good said, FedererHingis. Before people do nothing else than critisising Haas for not winning a Slam, they should first realise that what Haas did last year after out 15 months and non-ranked, being ranked top 20 after playing 9 months at the end of year, was one of the most greatest comebacks all time.

Chloe le Bopper
04-07-2005, 02:30 AM
I'd just like to remind everybody that I wrote this two and a half years ago.

Why it was deemed suitable for bump-up, I have no idea.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 02:32 AM
I'd just like to remind everybody that I wrote this two and a half years ago.

Why it was deemed suitable for bump-up, I have no idea.

Someone is out to get you.

Chloe le Bopper
04-07-2005, 02:33 AM
So I used to be big on Haas. So shoot me!

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 02:35 AM
So I used to be big on Haas. So shoot me!

I didn't bump up the thread cantankerous one.

NYCtennisfan
04-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Though luck with injuries for Haas. I think everyone thought that this guy had a great chance at a couple of slams a few years back with is big game. Doesn't look like it's going to happen....:(

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Very good said, FedererHingis. Before people do nothing else than critisising Haas for not winning a Slam, they should first realise that what Haas did last year after out 15 months and non-ranked, being ranked top 20 after playing 9 months at the end of year, was one of the most greatest comebacks all time.

Haas was overrated before the injuries, he has done very well to comeback this is true and any reasonable fan would say so.

As for your Nalbandian comment, well he has won exactly the same amount of Slams as has and has made the quarter finals at all of them, something Haas hasn't done.

bad gambler
04-07-2005, 03:28 AM
no

and while we are at it can we bump up some more older threads, this is fun :)

MisterQ
04-07-2005, 03:57 AM
I recall the Rome final against Agassi, where he refused to change the pattern of play and ended up being stuck on a piece of string until he crumbled physically in the third set.

That tournament was a fascinating study in court placement. Against Roddick in the semis, Haas stood about a mile behind the baseline and completely neutralized Roddick's big serve. It was masterful. But the same strategy against Andre in the final was a disaster. Andre just hit short angles side to side, and Haas was too far back to do anything about it.

Anyway, when it comes to Haas' current potential, I'm really uncertain. The guy has game, no doubt about it. But I haven't watched him play in a long time, so I have no sense of how he is mentally these days.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 04:00 AM
That tournament was a fascinating study in court placement. Against Roddick in the semis, Haas stood about a mile behind the baseline and completely neutralized Roddick's big serve. It was masterful. But the same strategy against Andre in the final was a disaster. Andre just hit short angles side to side, and Haas was too far back to do anything about it.

Anyway, when it comes to Haas' current potential, I'm really uncertain. The guy has game, no doubt about it. But I haven't watched him play in a long time, so I have no sense of how he is mentally these days.

Could Agassi have had an easier opponent to play in that final, he must have been laughing before he went on court.

NATAS81
04-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Could Agassi have had an easier opponent to play in that final, he must have been laughing before he went on court.
Agassi is a master of breaking down shots and angles. If you give him an opening he will take advantage and put the ball where it needs to go.

His accuracy is up there with the best in the game, that's what is basically keeping his career going.

He has a steady mentality to go along with it and keep everything afloat.

Surely a mismatch for the small-game Haas.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Agassi is a master of breaking down shots and angles. If you give him an opening he will take advantage and put the ball where it needs to go.

His accuracy is up there with the best in the game, that's what is basically keeping his career going.

He has a steady mentality to go along with it and keep everything afloat.

Surely a mismatch for the small-game Haas.

Agassi isn't a threat on clay these days and that was back then, but when he saw Haas on the other side, the confidence level rose.

Haas is a competent claycourt player at best.

JeNn
04-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Could Agassi have had an easier opponent to play in that final

Roddick? :shrug:

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Roddick? :shrug:

Haas won that match and not Roddick remember and Andrew won't be making any big finals on that surface.

Haas is a hardcourt/indoor player and that is where his strengths lie.

JeNn
04-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Haas won that match and not Roddick remember and Andrew won't be making any big finals on that surface.

Haas is a hardcourt/indoor player and that is where his strengths lie.

I agree.

Chloe le Bopper
04-07-2005, 05:05 AM
no

and while we are at it can we bump up some more older threads, this is fun :)
Yeah, really. I'd like to be reminded of all the other times I was wrong :o

Though to be fair, it's not like I knew Haas would get injured :(

bad gambler
04-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Yeah, really. I'd like to be reminded of all the other times I was wrong :o

i've already started searching the past GM's for all threads started by you :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
04-07-2005, 05:10 AM
i've already started searching the past GM's for all threads started by you :devil:
There is one on Schalkens ranking that is a year or two old. Go get it!

I like to make up for all this mess by pointing out this great Coria thread I made on WTAWorld before we had this, back in 2003 when he was "on the brink", after he pushed Hewitt at Indian Wells.

Jogy
04-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Haas was overrated before the injuries, he has done very well to comeback this is true and any reasonable fan would say so.
Very overrated, Hitler :rolleyes: Haas was only number 2 and number 3 for almost half of the season before he injured. Plein fact is Haas showed on court what he can do and proved this with a ranking to be a week long number two of the world. Everybody who prooves this is not overrated because you can look at the ranking to get proove for that.

As for your Nalbandian comment, well he has won exactly the same amount of Slams as has and has made the quarter finals at all of them, something Haas hasn't done.
And did Nalbandian win a Masters Series? Can Nalbandian challenge Haas when it comes to this big title, or in overall titles? Difference is Nalbandian is reaching finals, Haas wins them. Nalbandian is going 5 sets, Haas wins them.
And to inform you, this Nalbandian comment was not in the direction of you, but for Sigmagirl, for obvios reasons.

Sjengster
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Haas got to no. 2 because there was no consistent second player behind Hewitt for most of 2002 until Agassi emerged as the main challenger following his run to the US Open final. He failed to win so much as a single title in that year, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the only player I can think of who has reached no. 2 without so much as a single Slam final to his name. His ranking was based on four good tournaments: the AO, Rome, Toronto and the title from Stuttgart the year before that he still had the points from. Safin was a much more deserving no. 2 based on his results in the first half of the year, but became too inconsistent post-Wimbledon and suffered a slump that lasted until Paris (no change there, then).

Just think, last year's US Open QF against Hewitt was his first time ever in the last eight of a Slam outside Australia. And the way that he handled those conditions doesn't give me much hope that he'll be making the Slam breakthrough any time soon.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Very overrated, Hitler :rolleyes: Haas was only number 2 and number 3 for almost half of the season before he injured. Plein fact is Haas showed on court what he can do and proved this with a ranking to be a week long number two of the world. Everybody who prooves this is not overrated because you can look at the ranking to get proove for that.

Haas took advantage of the ranking system, which is not his fault, but Hewitt so clearly the best player in that time and Haas happened to most consistent of the lot. He didn't win a title in 2002 yet he managed to be # 2 that is unique.

It doesn't matter about Masters Series at all, the Slams are where it counts and Nalbandian will win a Slam before Haas will and it's just as possible they'll end up with 0 Slams.

Jogy
04-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Haas took advantage of the ranking system, which is not his fault, but Hewitt so clearly the best player in that time and Haas happened to most consistent of the lot.
You say it, Haas was the most consistent behind Hewitt and that's exactly why he was deserved #2 or #3 for almost whole year before he injured. If you play good results like Haas did its self-understanding that you take automatic "advantage of the ranking system" :haha: Why? Because your results are just too good. Only Hewitt had better. Overrated looks somebody else, but not if you played 2001 and 2002 like Haas did.

and Nalbandian will win a Slam before Haas will and it's just as possible they'll end up with 0 Slams.
I can also predict you that Mardy Fish will win the French Open. Predictions are nothing worth until they coming true and for somebody who can't even win a little tournament trying that for years, it is even more not likely and less based statement.

for Sjengster:

Canada TMS semifinal
Long Island win
US Open 4th round
Moscow semifinal
Vienna win
Madrid TMS win
Paris TMS semifinal
Australian Open semifinal
Monte Carlo quarterfinal
Rome TMS final
French Open 4th round
Canada TMS semifinal
Indianapolis semifinal
Long Island semifinal
US Open 4th round

You are very right, Sjengster. His ranking was only hold by four good tournaments. Haas played such a shit over the last months before that made him number 2 and number 3 for long time of the 2002 season. Just look at the list above you can see his bad play.

Jogy
04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Haas got to no. 2 because there was no consistent second player behind Hewitt for most of 2002 until Agassi emerged as the main challenger following his run to the US Open final.
You are again wrong. There were been a consistent enough player behinds Hewitt and his name was Tommy Haas until Agassi had "his run". Exact right, that is why Haas got to number 2, number 3 for weeks long in 2002.

Sjengster
04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Wow. I was aware that he did well in more than 4 tournaments in 2002, thanks, but those were the big ones that got him as high as no. 2 in the world. They are still poor results compared with a lot of other previous world no. 2s, especially where it counts most at the Slams. That, plus not winning a single title, made him an overrated no. 2 in my opinion. And that is one of the reasons why him not winning a Slam would come as no major surprise.

Sjengster
04-08-2005, 01:35 AM
You are again wrong. There were been a consistent enough player behinds Hewitt and his name was Tommy Haas until Agassi had "his run". Exact right, that is why Haas got to number 2, number 3 for weeks long in 2002.

There were players who did better than Haas when it mattered most in 2002, but couldn't sustain it for the whole year - had Safin or Ferrero won their Slam finals that year they would have been the deserving no. 2, but Haas got that second spot by racking up consistent showings in big events. In terms of his level of tennis, he was not the second best player in the world, that's for sure.

Jogy
04-08-2005, 01:54 AM
There were players who did better than Haas when it mattered most in 2002, but couldn't sustain it for the whole year - had Safin or Ferrero won their Slam finals that year they would have been the deserving no. 2, but Haas got that second spot by racking up consistent showings in big events. In terms of his level of tennis, he was not the second best player in the world, that's for sure.
To conclude: Haas was deserved number 2 and 3 because he "racked up" more points than everybody else than Hewitt. To measure level of tennis is exactly why a year ranking system is keeped, and Haas was better and more deserved than all other simply because he had more points. That some others did more well than Haas "when it mattered" most is already tooken into considering/ation? because they got more points for that big events added than doing well in a little tournament. Still they have not been good enough for number 2 or number 3 because Haas simply have had more points than they.

Plastic Bertrand
04-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Haas was # 2 and only performed well in one Slam and yes he did well at the other events, but the Slams are what counts.

Why else do you think Marcelo Rios isn't as respected as he should be, even though he made # 1 in the world? He never won a big one and just like Haas will never win a Slam.

Plastic Bertrand
04-08-2005, 03:51 AM
I can also predict you that Mardy Fish will win the French Open. Predictions are nothing worth until they coming true and for somebody who can't even win a little tournament trying that for years, it is even more not likely and less based statement.

Gaudio a guy never won a big tournament, managed to win in a Slam.

So will Tommy ever win a Slam?

Chris Kuerten
10-11-2013, 08:15 PM
:confused:

LoveFifteen
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
He never broke through. In fact, he never even won another Masters ... :sad:

Kowchi
10-11-2013, 08:35 PM
This is one of the sadder threads to bump :,(. 11 years later and he is still playing at 35 with no slam, regardless of his 4+ major injuries.

TennisFan4Life
10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I think he wins the FO next year.

Dave_92
10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

Murray=God
10-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Epic bump this. :eek:

JamieBlake
10-11-2013, 09:58 PM
This is one of the sadder threads to bump :,(. 11 years later and he is still playing at 35 with no slam, regardless of his 4+ major injuries.

But at least he's top 15 at 35, it's not like he's a journeyman

Burrow
10-11-2013, 10:05 PM
But at least he's top 15 at 35, it's not like he's a journeyman

Haas blew a major chance to reach the top 8 this year. Too many tight losses and especially earlier in the year. The second half has lacked intensity.

I thought he was a dead cert to at least reach the top 10 but with his lackadaisical performances and Wawrinka and Gasquet coming decent at the US Open, no chance of that now.