WC????????? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WC?????????

Pablito
08-05-2002, 12:05 AM
WHO WILL GET THEM?

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 04:22 AM
First guess: Americans who don't qualify for the main draw.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 09:13 AM
I will be shocked if any non americans dont' get one.

The only player who isn't ranked high enough who would get one over an American, still has an injury protected ranking - that would be Krajicek.

Peetz
08-05-2002, 11:32 AM
I hope they give one to the 2001 US OPEn junior champ,or at least a qualifying wildcard!

So Gilles Muller will be in!!!

TennisHack
08-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Eight U.S. men get wild cards for Open
August 14, 2002

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Vijay Amritraj's son, Prakash, and two-time NCAA champion Matias Boeker are among eight American men who received wild-card entries to the U.S. Open on Wednesday.

Alex Bogomolov Jr., Jack Brasington, Mardy Fish, Justin Gimelstob, Alex Kim and Brian Vahaly also were put into the main draw for the year's final Grand Slam tourney, which starts Aug. 26.

The women's wild-card entries are expected to be announced Thursday, and 1997 champion Martina Hingis probably will receive one of the berths.

Amritraj, an 18-year-old amateur, won the U.S. Tennis Association's Boys Super National Hard Court singles title Sunday. He was the MVP at the 2002 NCAA Championships as a freshman, leading Southern California to the title.

Boeker turned pro after his junior year at Georgia, when he became the first player since Mikael Pernfors (1984-85) to win consecutive NCAA men's singles titles.

Scotso
08-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Boo @ Hingis wasting an American wildcard.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Corina did exactly what Hingis did.

Furthermore Hingis getting a wild card allowed someone else direct entry into the main draw, who is way more likely to win a match then some American junior, or player ranked in the 500's somewhere.

*Hingis fan alert*

I don't like how tournaments give all the WC's to people from their country, over people who are more deserving - it isn't fair to those players from countries that dont have slams or masters, or other tournaments that are big.

That goes for the Canada masters tournament too by the way, which shouldn't have given them all the Canadians this year imo (just to show I'm consistent in my arguement)

Rising Sun
08-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Does anybody know who got the qualifying WCs? :confused:

Mags
08-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by danker
Does anybody know who got the qualifying WCs? :confused:

Young Americans Awarded US Open Men's Wild Card Entries
Thursday, August 15, 2002

YOUNG AMERICANS AWARDED US OPEN MEN'S WILD CARD ENTRIES
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., August 14, 2002 – The USTA today announced that Prakash Amritraj (Calabasas, Calif.), Matias Boeker (Deerfield Beach, Fla.), Alex Bogomolov, Jr., (Miami), Jack Brasington (New Orleans), Mardy Fish (Vero Beach, Fla.), Justin Gimelstob (Miami), Alex Kim (Potomac, Md.), and Brian Vahaly (Atlanta) have been awarded main draw men's singles wild card entries into the 2002 US Open Tennis Championships, which will be played August 26 - September 8 at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. The US Open Men's Singles Championship is presented by Lincoln.

For more details see

US Open (http://www.usopen.org/news/articles/200208151519120611de83908eb07f86256c16006a2dde.htm l)