Questions for Xavier Malisse? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Questions for Xavier Malisse?

BelgianGirl
08-04-2002, 10:50 PM
If you have a question for Xavier you can mail it to content@atptennis.com and he will be answering them tomorrow in Cincinatti!
I just read it on the tournament page, but I couldn't think of a good question, so if someone of you has one: send it and maybe he'll answer it! :)

Lleyki
08-05-2002, 06:41 PM
Hi Belgiangirl :wavey:

Thx you so much for letting me know :kiss:

I'm gonna send him a question :bounce: I don't yet know what tough :o

Lleyki
08-05-2002, 06:59 PM
I just send my questions :bounce:

I couldn't decide which one so I send 4 :o

here they are:

1. Do you ever surf the internet? What sites do you visit?

2. Do you have friends on the ATP-tour? Who?

3. What do you consider the best victory in your career?

4. What are your expectations for the US Open?

I really hope he answer them :D

Lleyki
08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Well he didn't answer my questions :(

here is what he did say :D

Malisse Responds!
Xavier Malisse took time after his grueling three-set win over Julien Boutter to answer your e-mailed questions. The 22-year-old Belgian is in the midst of the best year of his career, having reached the semifinals at Wimbledon, Memphis and Scottsdale. He took great delight in reading the hundreds of e-mail messages that poured in.

Are you considering cheering for the soccer club, Standard Liège, now that all your former favorite teams (Harelbeke/Kortrijk) no longer exist? - Filip Dewulf
Malisse: (Note: Filip Dewulf is a former ATP player. Malisse typed this response himself in his native language, Dutch-Flemmish) filip, speciaal voor u.als standaard de laatste club was in belgie,dan zou ik nog niet voor standaard supporteren.

Which Grand Slam do you think you could perform the best at? Congratulations on your last results (Wimbledon was pure happiness!) - Bruno
Malisse: I probably would say at the US Open. I've done well at Wimbledon, but I feel my best chance is at the US Open. I've reached the third and fourth round there before, so I always feel comfortable. I like New York, and I have a feel for the courts and the crowd.

Are players parties fun? Or do you prefer to go out with your other friends? - Minna
Malisse: I prefer to go out with other friends. With player parties, you go to one or two of them, and you get the same thing. If I have a party, I just want to do it with my friends.

With the competition getting tougher every day, the Top 50 having reached such an high level, do you think you'll maybe, one day be able to reach the top place as world number one? Be aware anyway that whatever your results may be, a whole country and many more stand behind you! Charlie P., Brussels, Belgium
Malisse: It is tough out there, and there's only one player in the world who can be No. 1. I'm only 23, so I'm very happy where I am. I'm just trying to do the best I can. If I give everything I have and get to No. 12 in the world, I'll be as happy.

When will you be cutting off your ponytail? (You did promise it to Jan Siemerink I think on Dutch TV during Wimbledon this year.) I would be pleased to see you with short hair, at least once during your tennis career. - Katinka from Holland
Malisse: I couldn't do it. It's the way people know me. It's more of an image thing. It's hard to do. I don't want to lie to people or let them down. I was going to do, but I decided I couldn't.

You lost in the first round in 5 of the 6 [Tennis Masters Series] tournaments this year. But in Grand Slams and at regular tournaments you almost never lose first round? How come? Or is it just a coincidence? - Karel from Belgium
Malisse: For the Slams, I've been preparing a lot better than I used to. I have five or six days usually to prepare. With the Masters Series, sometimes it's more difficult. For instance, LA went really well. I reached the quarterfinals. But then I went to Toronto on Sunday, and I played Monday.

Hey Xavier - You have all the weapons - solid serve, wicked forehand, guile, creativity. We want to see you bring it together at a Major. Is there any one thing that has stopped you, you think, in doing this?
Malisse: You need some luck in the draw. You need to play good every day. Everything has to be in place, both with fitness, and mentally.

Who in you opinion are the five most talented players on the circuit?
Malisse: Federer, Safin and Hewitt.

Do you think talent is more important than anything else?
Malisse: In 1999 and 2000, I thought just talent would get me there. But that will only get you to the 150 to 200 place in the world. I started working a lot harder, putting more effort and discipline. And now, I'm seeing better results.

What's your practice routine like?
Malisse: When I'm not playing tournaments, I play an hour and a half in the mornings, and an hour and a half in the afternoons. I also do a 45 minute work out. During tournaments, I'm mainly warming up.

I'm from Belgium and I just want to let you know that we are all very proud of you! What is your goal for the end of the year and for next year? Many greetings, From a true Belgian fan
Malisse: This year, I'd like to end up in the Top 20. Next year, I don't really have a goal. I'll set my goals after the end of the year.

What is your favorite music and your favorite films? - Gillian
Malisse: Music, lately it's just been any good song. I like rock, techno. I like techno a lot, but really I like any good song. My favorite films are "Almost Famous" and "Braveheart."

Hey Xavier! First of all i would like to thank you for those great matches at RG and Wimbledon! Everybody here in Belgium was supporting you. I'd like to know how it feels to have such a breakthrough. How does it feel to get something back for all those hours of practice? - Evi from Belgium
Malisse: It was crazy. I didn't expect it. Being in the second week, I was happy. I beat Rusedski and Krajicek. On grass against those players, that was an amazing experience. But the joy didn't set in until after the tournament.

I am a tennis fan from Sydney. I am a very big fan of your tennis. I am a Pete Sampras fan as well. Tell me the feeling you have when you are out on the court competing with "Pistol" pete? Thanks, Andrew
Malisse: First, it's an honor to play against him. It's always a good thing. The feeling you have playing Pete is that you don't have anything to lose. But I approach it as any other match.

Hi Xavier, Where is your favorite place in the world to play? Also, what nicknames do go by on tour? I have heard you being called the "x man," "The Belgian chocolate." I also heard that you were called, "poofy" when you were in Australia. Where does this come from? - Allison
Malisse: "Poofy" is just with my friends in Australia. "X Man" came when I came to the United States, and it was hard for people to pronounce Xavier, so they just started calling me "X Man."

BelgianGirl
08-06-2002, 10:52 AM
thx for posting his answers, I was just gonna look for them! :)

Cool from Filip to ask somthing! :D
You get to know much more of a player by this kind of interview instead of a real interview with the press! :)

per4ever
08-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Xavier rocks :D

The Crow
08-06-2002, 12:25 PM
lmao at the answer to Filip! :D :D And apparently Xavier can't count. ;)

BelgianGirl
08-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Maybe he considers himself the 4th most talented player of the circuit and so he couldn't name 5 without including himself. So he just named the 3 he beliefs are better than him! (to avoid looking pretentious!) ;) :p

The Crow
08-06-2002, 06:06 PM
lmao, didn't think about that one ;)