Justine pulls a "No Mas" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Justine pulls a "No Mas"

baubaby
01-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm really disappointed in Justine Henin-Hardenne!! Seeing the writing on the wall she tainted Amelie's win. No way was her "upset stomach" near enough to cause her to quit. She did it for the same reason Roberto Duran quit against Sugar Ray...To deny her opponent the glory of a clear cut victory...Occasionally, athletes get a chance to show class...I'm afraid Justine usually blows these opportunities....I'm reminded of Carlos Moya playing his heart out against(and defeating) Albert Costa a few year's back at the Tennis Master's Cup. He was already in the final four but his victory not only knocked out his friend and countryman but allowed Hewitt into the second round. A sapped Moya didn't have much left for his semifinal match and lost but he showed tremendous class and preserved the integrity of his sport...Something he obviously takes seriously.... Congrats to Amelie Mauresmo...who played awesome!!!

lhme12345
01-28-2006, 04:19 AM
I have to say that I agree (pretty much). She was feeling like crap and knew she was going to lose; quite possibly by a scoreline of 6-1, 6-0. Not wanting to suffer through the final 4 games, she quit. I think it was that rather than a deliberate effort to deny Amelie her moment of glory which caused her to stop, but the end result was the same; she did deny Amelie her moment. I feel badly that Justine wasn't able to compete today, but she should have sucked it up and allowed Amelie to win those final 4 games. Even if Justine was only able to hit a couple of balls per rally. It still would have allowed Amelie to win it and have that final moment of supreme happiness after the final point. As it was, Amelie was clearly happy (as she should be since she absolutely deserved it), but she also wasn't able to be as ecstatic about it as she undoubtedly would have been had Justine allowed the match to be completed.

I'm a fan of both of these women, but lost a little bit of respect for Justine today.

Rebound Ace
01-28-2006, 07:27 AM
You can fashionably say she is weak as water trying to get the sympathy vote, but she won her last two matches coming from a set down, losing the first sets in easy fashion.

You can say she is nervous but how could she be if she has won four grand slam finals from four finals attempts including the Australian Open.

I dont know how she ended up with it nor whether she was faking it because she hates losing.

Bee
01-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Baubaby, I agree with you ... especially like the reference to Carlos as well ... even in his first-round match in Melbourne he was trying hard to come back from 2 sets to love down (but lost this time :( ) ... I'm sure he still had that hip injury from Sydney (he withdrew after beating Seb. Grosjean there to give himself a better chance of playing Melbourne ... he wasn't moving nearly as well as I've seen (I was there 'live'), but he kept on trying 'til the end of that 5-setter. I remember he also continued against Roger Federer last year too, when suffering shoulder problems (actually think it was the French Open ...?), despite losing to Roger - and Roger paid tribute to Carlos for continuing, saying he was being a REAL champion.
Justine's 'stomach injury' came out of the blue, I think everyone was a bit surprised ... and it was a pity Amelie couldn't win the title 'properly'.
[I'm glad I didn't go to that match 'live', it would've cost me $159 for the ticket! Boo!]

Silawen
01-28-2006, 09:54 AM
It's the Justin Gimelstob jinx again. XD

almouchie
01-28-2006, 10:01 AM
to be fair Justine was unwell fomr the start
but maybe felt he can handle it once on the court
she clearly wasnt not well
maybe she should have laboured out there, it would ahve been pointless
but there are moments when u just cannt walk anymore
if the fit Henin was on court she would have definitely beaten Mauresmo
congreats to Amelie , she finally won a GS even while 3 of her opponenets withdrew
what a stat

baubaby
01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Amelie handled the post-match interviews well- not getting baited into starting a controversy. She did however smartly get a point across with the quote "I was ready to die on that court today".
Justine may have sent the women's game back a couple years. I wouldn't want to be a negotiator for equal prize money sitting at the table with sponsors after this one. This was definitely an instance where a coaching time-out would be helpful....Most certainly a coach would have told her to play out the last few games..save her reputation, the rep of women's game, Amelie's moment, the fans..etc.
Didn't Mary Pierce get smoked in two GS finals last year?? She handled it well..with class..

HappyAndie
01-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I used to sort of like JHH but now I can't. She showed that she has no class.

We all saw poor Andre Agassi struggle--but finish--at the FO last year. And something tells me that was a LOT more serious than what JHH had.

There is no reason why she should not have stood there on court for the final four games. Even if she has to throw up on court Murray style, she should have kept going. It's not as if her illness would have been worse for it.

stillsamprasfan
01-28-2006, 09:02 PM
It was really very unfair from Justine. There was no sign of her illness when she suddenly called for the trainer. Maybe she felt ill, I don't know, but she should have continued until the last point. This way she has lost the respect of many tennis fans. I'm happy about Amelie and at the same time I feel sorry for her because of her denied great moment. But there is no doubt: SHE WON IT and Justine withdrew because she can't loose with dignity. Only the great champions can do it.

PaulieM
01-29-2006, 09:27 AM
i don't believe for a second that you can justine would have DEFINITELY beaten amelie if she'd been fit, from the way people say that you'd think amelie'd never won a match against her before. amelie came out with clear game plan and was executing it beautifully, she played a very smart match. i don't necessarily think justine retired to be malicious but i do think she only thought of herself, she knew she couldn't come back and win and didn't feel like it was worth putting in the effort to finish the match. that's in itself is very upsetting, after having watched countless champions fight it out on court through all kinds of illness and injury, justine showed an increadible lack of respect for the occasion and for her opponent. in an utterly classless act she said no mas and she robbed amelie of a great moment that she herself has had the joy of experiencing. it was very sad.

dgs369
01-30-2006, 06:31 AM
I have been on the JHH BASHING bandwagon for some time now! No class at all. She had a tummy ache - suck it up Princess, what's 4 more games?? - she blatantly denied Amelie the glory of reaching Match Point.

Here is a snippet from an article from the 2003 FO. Some of you might remember the match...

With Serena leading 4-2 at 30-love, she hit her first serve into the net. Justine Henin-Hardenne had raised her hand during Serena's serve motion to indicate to hold the serve, but the chair umpire incorrectly ruled that it was Seren'a second serve--not her first as it should have been. When asked by the chair umpire, Justine Henin-Hardenne denied raising her hand indicating to hold the serve (even though replays clearly showed justine raising her hand). The chair umpire incorrectly ruled that Serena should be allowed only one extra serve. During Serena's serves the french crowd booed and hissed even during her serving motion. Clearly rattled by the noise and commotion, Serena went on to lose the game and eventually the match. After the match Henin-Hardenne continued to claim that she did not raise her hand, despite clear video evidence which showed that she did so.

jzpyt06
01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
i remember that, in book i stopped being a jhh fan. Couldnt b bothered with such, and now i think fans will not like her.

Experimentee
01-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I have no respect for Justine :mad:
She could have stayed out there and its not like a stomach ache is career threatening.
I think she just couldnt be bothered to complete the match knowing it was hopeless, and knowing that a few years down the track 6-1 2-0 ret looks better than 6-1 6-0 loss.
She even refused the medication the trainers gave her, showing that she couldnt even be bothered to improve her condition.

Billabong
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I have no respect for Justine :mad:
She could have stayed out there and its not like a stomach ache is career threatening.
I think she just couldnt be bothered to complete the match knowing it was hopeless, and knowing that a few years down the track 6-1 2-0 ret looks better than 6-1 6-0 loss.
She even refused the medication the trainers gave her, showing that she couldnt even be bothered to improve her condition.

I totally agree!! Plus, let's think about the fans who paid a lot of money to see THIS! Also, we can talk about Sampras and Murray who both fought with stomach aches (they both eventually vomited on the court), but stayed there till the end. Martina Hingis in 2002 AO, Serena Williams in YEC 2004, Venus Williams in Wimbledon 2003, Sromova in AO 2006 (against Justine!), Martina Hingis in YEC 1996 and Guga Kuerten in Roland Garros 2004 all showed a LOT of fight and a lot of respect for the fans and the tournament organizers while fighting important injuries. And I'm sure they're proud of themselves when they think back, while Justine can only see her reputation tarnished forever!

shotgun
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, and also Guga against Robredo in the US Open 2005, amongst many others...

Justine wasn't exactly known for her display of fair-play before this incident, and now we can say that the mask has fallen completely.

Angle Queen
01-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Michael Chang...hitting underhand serves and just standing at the service line to receive...cause he couldn't do anything else.

Come on, Justine...least we could have seen from you was puking on the court.

:hatoff: to Momo for handling the whole thing with class...and finally, finally winning her first Slam!!!!

fedpras
01-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I totally agree!! Plus, let's think about the fans who paid a lot of money to see THIS! Also, we can talk about Sampras and Murray who both fought with stomach aches (they both eventually vomited on the court), but stayed there till the end. Martina Hingis in 2002 AO, Serena Williams in YEC 2004, Venus Williams in Wimbledon 2003, Sromova in AO 2006 (against Justine!), Martina Hingis in YEC 1996 and Guga Kuerten in Roland Garros 2004 all showed a LOT of fight and a lot of respect for the fans and the tournament organizers while fighting important injuries. And I'm sure they're proud of themselves when they think back, while Justine can only see her reputation tarnished forever!

I'm not defending Justine at all (I think what she did was awful), but I wanted to point out that she herself could be included in the above list. At the both AO and the USO in 2003, she started cramping badly but not only finished her matches, but gutted it out and won them, too.

boliviana
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not defending Justine at all (I think what she did was awful), but I wanted to point out that she herself could be included in the above list. At the both AO and the USO in 2003, she started cramping badly but not only finished her matches, but gutted it out and won them, too.

I hear you but then there were those other times when she took mysterious injury time outs . . . I want to like her and generally speaking I do but then she pulls something like she did on Saturday and I am back at zero. I thought it was disgraceful and a real shame for Mauresmo who deserved a Slam without the baggage. Clijsters got it at USO and Mauresmo deserved the same. Something really fishy about it all and a real slap in Mauresmo's face . . . not cool and completely self serving on Justine's part.