The way the tourney works [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The way the tourney works

Deboogle!.
11-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Just want to make sure I understand...

So technically it would be possible for the final to be composed of people both from the same group? If two people from the Gold group for example both win their SFs because the way it works with the winner of one group meeting the runnerup of the other group, they could meet in the final right?

TheBoiledEgg
11-05-2003, 04:04 PM
yes :)

its not too difficult a task to grasp.

Semis
winner A vs RU B
Winner B vs RU A

Deboogle!.
11-05-2003, 04:08 PM
yea I know, I understand but I just wanted to make sure :) Thanks!

Yashirobai
11-05-2003, 05:30 PM
This is actually what happened in 2001 with Hewitt facing Grosjean twice (and winning both times)...

J. Corwin
11-06-2003, 01:36 AM
yup that's the way :)

Sharon
11-14-2003, 11:50 PM
does anyone know why Agassi will be playing Schuettler for the semis when the winner of Roddick/Coria tonight will have won more sets than Schuettler has? Is it because Schuettler defeated Roddick/Coria? What exactly ARE the rules? Do they count the winner or do they count sets?

Deboogle!.
11-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Because Schuettler beat both Roddick AND Coria so it doesn't matter - he wins the group.

J. Corwin
11-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Yea. The first tiebreaker in that case is head-to-head record with each other in the group.

nitsansh
11-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Here are the complete tie-break rules:

3.The final standings of each group shall be determined by the first of the following
methods that apply:
a.Greatest number of wins;
b.Greatest number of matches played;
c.Head-to-head results if only two (2)players are tied,or if three (3)players
are tied,then:
(i)If three (3)players each have one win,a player having played less than all three (3)matches is automatically eliminated and the player
advancing to the Single Elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2)players tied with 1-2 records;or
(ii)Highest percentage of sets won;or
(iii)Highest percentage of games won.
(iv)If (i),(ii)or (iii)produce one superior player (first place),or one inferior
player (third place),and the two remaining players are tied,the tie between those two players shall be broken by head-to-head record.
d.If ties still exist after the above procedures,the Steering Committee shall make the final determination.