The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:08 PM
HHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Roddick accepts spot in Delray qualifying tourney

By Harvey Fialkov
sun-sentinel.com
Posted January 27 2006, 10:40 AM EST

In a stunning development, Andy Roddick, the No. 3-ranked player in the world, has accepted a spot in this weekend's qualifying tournament in an attempt to earn one of four spots available for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

The 32-player draw was out of wild cards, so Roddick, who grew up in nearby Boca Raton, will be forced to earn his way in. Roddick was knocked out of the Australian Open in the fourth round 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 by surprising finalist Marcos Baghdatis, the 20-year old from Cyprus.

Roddick has played in the Delray Beach tournament four times with one final appearance in 2002, an upset loss to Italy's Davide Sanguinetti.

Roddick was unable to receive a wild card because Andre Agassi, Mardy Fish and Sargis Sargsian had already been granted direct entry into the draw. Agassi, an eight-time Grand Slam champion, was forced to sit out the Australian Open with an ankle injury.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 04:12 PM
like i said...

this year:
"more aggresive crazyness"
...meaning he will do anything in the persuit of being as stupid as possible...that is one thing he can do.

Devotee
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Didn't Ferrero last year have to play qualifying in Hamburg or some other AMS clay court event?

So Andy wouldn't be the first to stoop to this. :o

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm in class and TRYING MY HARDEST not to laugh out loud. I just don't understand why he'd want to play these extra matches. I think there are 3 rounds of qualifying in 2 days. I mean. DEATH WHY!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! He couldn't want matches this badly that he'd be willing to do this. LMFAO!! He barely ever had to qualify for tourneys when he was 17/18!!!!! In fact, he may never have, since he was always given WCs til his ranking was high enough.

I'm just in stunned and amused disbelief.

But Devotee, Ferrero played qualies b/c his ranking had dropped too low. Not because he didn't enter at first and couldn't get a WC b/c they'd been promised to other people :lol: :rolls: Ferrero wasn't 3 in the world at the time! :haha:

Devotee
01-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm in class and TRYING MY HARDEST not to laugh out loud.

Wow, Deb, how in the world can you concentrate on a law school class & this silly tennis board at the same time? :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:16 PM
This class is a silly one. It's the ethics class and we don't even cover the rules in the class :lol:

lau
01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I´m almost sure I never posted in Andy´s forum..., but

WTF??!!! :eek: :eek: Andy qualifying for an ATP tournament??! :haha:

Devotee
01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
But Devotee, Ferrero played qualies b/c his ranking had dropped too low. Not because he didn't enter at first and couldn't get a WC b/c they'd been promised to other people :lol: :rolls: Ferrero wasn't 3 in the world at the time! :haha:

Yes, I'm sure there'll be much comment on this in the tennis world.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes, I'm sure there'll be much comment on this in the tennis world.Yes, i'm sure there will be.

I still can't believe it. :haha:

lau
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
And it was a MS tournament.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM

WTF??!!! :eek: :eek: Andy qualifying for an ATP tournament??! :haha:You're welcome here anytime. And yes, I think the only way to properly react is:

:confused: :scratch: :haha: :haha: :haha: :hysteric: :shrug: :haha: :rolls: :lol: :o :mad:

Devotee
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
And it was a MS tournament.

good point

lau
01-27-2006, 04:21 PM
You're welcome here anytime.
:) :kiss:

To do it properly :wavey: to all Andy fans

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I just realized.... what happens to the draw!! It's supposed to be made Saturday, before qualies end. Andy would be #1 seed in the tourney were he in the normal way but this way they can't do that... I wonder what happens!?

Devotee
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM

WTF??!!! :eek: :eek: Andy qualifying for an ATP tournament??! :haha:

This is more evidence that he needs a sports psychologist. Instead of taking time to play in this tournament, he should be interviewing for a personal sports psychologist. I'm not kidding at all.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
This is more evidence that he needs a sports psychologist. Instead of taking time to play in this tournament, he should be interviewing for a personal sports psychologist. I'm not kidding at all.Yeah, basically!!!!!!

I mean if they don't delay the draw or something somehow, and I don't see how they really could, he could get ANYONE in the first round - Agassi, Haas, whoever!

OY GEVALT.

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I am not laughing or crying yet but I am curious to know what Team Roddick has in mind with all of this. :scratch:

Roddick Enters Delray Beach Qualifying Draw
By Tennis Week
01/28/2006

The Delray Beach draw has grown even deeper with the addition of another former World No. 1. Third-ranked Andy Roddick, who was bounced out of the Australian Open in the fourth round by Cyprus' sensation Marcos Baghdatis will try to bounce back this weekend when he competes in the qualifying draw for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

The tournament — which already features former No. 1 Andre Agassi, James Blake, Robby Ginepri, Tommy Haas, defending champion Xavier Malisse and Mardy Fish in its main draw — did not have a wild card available for Roddick, so he will play qualifying this weekend to earn a spot in the main draw.

"It's true. We will be announcing it shortly," a tournament spokesperson told Tennis Week today.

Delray Beach officials awarded their three wild cards to Agassi, Fish and Sargis Sargsian, who announced his retirement from tournament tennis last year, but is returning to play the ITC.

It will be Roddick's first qualifying appearance since the fall of 2000 when at age 18 he qualified for a Challenger in Austin, Texas, shortly after beating Ginepri to capture the U.S. Open junior title. Roddick went on to beat then 161st-ranked Michael Russell, 6-4, 6-4, to take the Austin title.

Roddick, who grew up in nearby Boca Raton, Florida and now lives in Austin, is eager to accumulate more match play before the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against Romania set for February 10-12th at the LaJolla Beach & Tennis Club.

There is growing speculation Agassi and Roddick will be the American singles starters for that tie with twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan playing doubles, forming a team of four U.S. Open champions. That cast was in place last April when the U.S. was upset by eventual Davis Cup champion Croatia in Carson, California. Agassi hinted he hopes to play the Davis Cup tie in a conference call with the media. U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe will officially announce the U.S. squad next week. Tennis Week has contacted McEnroe for comment on Agassi's remarks.

It will be Roddick's fifth Delray Beach appearance. He reached the 2002 tournament final, falling to Davide Sanguinetti, 4-6, 6-4, 4-6.

The tournament begins on Monday at the Delray Beach Stadium & Tennis Center in Delray Beach, Florida. The Delray Beach ITC qualifying tournament will be contested this Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's rounds begin at 10 a.m., while Sunday's play begins at noon. Admission is free for both days of qualifying play.

Agassi, who practiced on Delray Beach stadium court yesterday, looking exceedingly fit in a black sleeveless adidas t-shirt and matching shorts, is friendly with Roddick, who grew up admiring the eight-time Grand Slam champion. The pair played an entertaining exhibition match in Richmond, Virginia last month and could join forces again in Davis Cup. For more information on the tournament, please visit the Delray Beach ITC web site.

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
It will be Roddick's first qualifying appearance since the fall of 2000 when at age 18 he qualified for a Challenger in Austin, Texas, shortly after beating Ginepri to capture the U.S. Open junior title. Roddick went on to beat then 161st-ranked Michael Russell, 6-4, 6-4, to take the Austin title.:spit: :haha: :rolls: :rolls: :haha:

lizzieh
01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
I just realized.... what happens to the draw!! It's supposed to be made Saturday, before qualies end. Andy would be #1 seed in the tourney were he in the normal way but this way they can't do that... I wonder what happens!?
interesting question...I guess we'll find out sooner or later...

*hoping for his sake that he actually GETS THROUGH the qualifying...*

Björki
01-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I think it's great. Why not... good luck Andy :bounce:

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a sneaking, unsettling feeling it's because Andy now has lost so much confidence. :sad: He's going back to his roots where he first won & fans exude warmth.
Good point. Another angle to this is perhaps Andy is going to take the Andre route for a bit (i.e., playing challengers, etc. to get back to basics and rebuild confidence)?

Instead of laughing at Andy I think it takes cojones for a top player to "lower himself" by entering qualifying draws. Andy is taking his recent losses seriously. I'll take a wait-and-see approach for now.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM
HEY YOU GUYS & GIRLS...

what if he fails to qualify??? :spit: :eek:

maybe then he'd really know something was wrong (cause i bet he really feels vindicated in some ass backward way now that baggy is in the final:stupid: )
so i guess im hoping for this, even though he should'nt be able to fuck even this up...but i like thinking about it...-im bad.

lizzieh
01-27-2006, 04:49 PM
what if he fails to qualify??? :spit: :eek:

this is my only worry....

I've got no problem with him taking this route... if it's the what he feels he needs to do then why not give it a crack..but if it doesnt come off I hate to think what it'll do to his somewhat fragile confidence of late..

acoffeygirl
01-27-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm just still sitting here....in a bit of confusion over all of this!! :lol:

blosson
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I think he wants to play more competitive matches. He probably doens't care if he wins or not but he will be practicing his new moves. That's all I can think of. :shrug:

Chaos Inc.
01-27-2006, 05:17 PM
This is a good sign. It shows the loss to Baghdatis is really making him go apeshit in anger. However, I am not sure if this is the best way for him to funnel that anger. It might be time better spent on the practice court, learning how to hit a backhand down the line, trying to get better on service returns and hitting his forehand with power again.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 05:22 PM
learning how to hit a backhand down the line.
i actually didnt think his DTL shots were so bad...at least not last year, when he chose to use them.

but he never does...like some other things.

PinkFeatherBoa
01-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm just still sitting here....in a bit of confusion over all of this!! :lol:

I was just about to post a similar thing.

My initial reaction to this is 'why', basically, but I've given up trying to figure out Andy's logic. :shrug:

just so long as he doesn't crap out in qualies, then it's fine.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 05:28 PM
be prepared to read:

world #3 Andy Roddick fails to qualify.
-fans laugh while hanging their smart heads in shame-

:lol::hatoff:

Fee
01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
As far as the draw goes, Andy will go into it as a qualifer. I don't think they can hold the draw until qualies are done. This happened to Alex Bogomolov last year (or the year before?). He went through qualies at a Challenger where he would have been the number one seed, the draw was made, he was placed as a qualifier, and he went on to win the tournament. Andre will be the top seed.

I hope that Andy makes it through (he better), draws Sargisian, and spanks him back into retirement in the first round. Poetic justice in my opinion.

blosson
01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Andy is listening to Heya.

He will practice with real players in real match situation and not against John Roddick or some teenanger from juniors.

blosson
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I hope that Andy makes it through (he better), draws Sargisian, and spanks him back into retirement in the first round. Poetic justice in my opinion.

If Andy draws Andre in the first round? :haha:

Fee
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Same thing. Maybe more so because its Andre that got Sarge that wildcard, I'm sure of it (and the one at San Jose too). It's just wrong and I hope the young Americans just ignore him for the rest of the Spring.

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I think he wants to play more competitive matches. He probably doens't care if he wins or not but he will be practicing his new moves. That's all I can think of. :shrug:
This is a good sign. It shows the loss to Baghdatis is really making him go apeshit in anger. However, I am not sure if this is the best way for him to funnel that anger. It might be time better spent on the practice court, learning how to hit a backhand down the line, trying to get better on service returns and hitting his forehand with power again.
All good points. Chaos, it's one thing to hit DTL backhand winners in practice but quite another to do under pressure in a match. Delray will give him better practice. Plus, another one of Andy's nemesis' is there in the form of Andre. If he beat him that would be a huge confidence booster.

Another point may be that this is his way to get match tough. Andy said he trained hard over the off-season but training hard isn't the same as being match tough and I think he needs that more right now than doing another 2,000 sit-ups (the body looks great, btw).

Chaos Inc.
01-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Andy is listening to Heya.

He will practice with real players in real match situation and not against John Roddick or some teenanger from juniors.

The only way to improve on the skill sets that he is lacking in is by putting in the hours on the practice courts. I am glad to see he is not just oh welling the loss like he has so many over the last year and a half...he is showing desire...getting tired of everyone in the tennis world laughing at the way he is playing. Like I said, just not sure that this is the best way for him to improve the glaring weaknesses he has......

partygirl
01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
(the body looks great, btw).
check my siggy.

Angle Queen
I'm also of the wait-and-see mindset. I really can't see him not qualifying...and real match play, even if they're essentially walkovers...is better than whatever he's been doing on the practice court.

Anyone know if they're going to have line judges for the qualies...and if they're used to see a 130+ mph serve? :lol:

partygirl
(the body looks great, btw).
check my siggy. i ain't lyin'

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Actually, they're delaying the draw according to the ATP/tourney site.

Marlene, they do have line judges for qualies. It's like a regular ATP match really. We went to Qualies in LA and the only difference is that it's on smaller courts and they're all right next to each other going on at the same time. But for Andy's matches, I imagine they'll use the center court lol.
-----------------------------
Roddick Enters Delray Beach Qualifying

Fans can sit in box seats and watch the No. 3-ranked tennis player in the world tomorrow for FREE at the Delray Beach Tennis Center as Andy Roddick has informed the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships that he will play in its qualifying rounds. The top four players who finish in the two-day qualifying tournament advance to the main draw, which starts Monday (Jan. 30).

Roddick is seeking to join a main draw that includes eight*time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi and ATP stars Robby Ginepri, Tommy Haas, Mardy Fish as well as defending champion Xavier Malisse.

"I spoke to Andy and he requested a wild card and he understands that I didn't have one to give," said tournament director Mark Baron, who gave Roddick a wild card into his first ATP tournament in 2000 and one in 2001 as well. "He is playing the qualies because he wants match play, it's his hometown and it works for him."

Roddick will be the No. 1 seed in the qualifying tournament, and could play as many as two matches tomorrow depending on the number of players who sign up to play in the 32-man draw. If less than 32 players enter, he would receive a bye in the first round, which starts at 10:00 am tomorrow. A final match would come on Sunday at 12:00 noon.

Roddick has played in this tournament four times, with his best result coming in 2002 when he reached the final before losing to Italian Davide Sanguinetti. He is 4-3 in singles play, and teamed with Jan-Michael Gambill in 2001 to win the tournament¹s doubles crown.

The last time a qualifier was seeded in a main draw of an ATP event came in May of 1995 when Frenchman Arnaud Boetsch was the No. 5 seed in Bologna.

Should Roddick qualify into the Delray Beach ITC main draw, he would be the No. 1 seed in the tournament (Agassi would be No. 2), and the highest qualifier ever seeded in an ATP event. Goran Ivanisevic currently holds that distinction‹he was the No. 2 seed in the Manchester ATP event in June, 1991.

Qualifying rounds begin at 10:00 am tomorrow and Sunday¹s final around begins at noon. Admission is free to the public, and stadium seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The sign-in for the qualifying tournament ends tonight at 9:00 pm. The players will then be bracketed and an order of play will be announced. The tournament's main draw, originally scheduled for tomorrow at noon, will now be held Sunday following qualifying rounds.

The Delray Beach ITC is the first of 14 ATP tournaments that will be held in the United States in 2006. Box seats, reserved series seats and individual session tickets are on sale through YellowTennisBall.com, the Delray Beach ITC Ticket Office (561-330-6000) or Ticketmaster in Palm Beach (561) 966-3309, Broward (954) 523-3309 or Dade (305) 358-5885.

Single session grandstand tickets range from $10 to $20 while box seats are $50 to $75. Championship packages that include preferred seating for all 11 sessions are $220 while the Weekender package (quarterfinals through finals) is $150. Box seat packages begin at $930 for two seats and range up to $2,000 for four premium courtside seats. Box seats include premier parking and an array of amenities.

The tournament anticipates that all box seats and reserved seats will be sold in the next few days, leaving only grandstand tickets available.

Please visit YellowTennisBall.com throughout the tournament for news, live scoring, and ticket information.

Fee
01-27-2006, 05:57 PM
smucav just posted the ATP article in the tournament thread. The draw has been postponed until Sunday after qualifying is completed. If Andy gets through qualies, he will be the tournament's #1 seed. Excellent.

Chaos Inc.
01-27-2006, 05:58 PM
All good points. Chaos, it's one thing to hit DTL backhand winners in practice but quite another to do under pressure in a match. Delray will give him better practice. Plus, another one of Andy's nemesis' is there in the form of Andre. If he beat him that would be a huge confidence booster.

Another point may be that this is his way to get match tough. Andy said he trained hard over the off-season but training hard isn't the same as being match tough and I think he needs that more right now than doing another 2,000 sit-ups (the body looks great, btw).

You are right that there is a huge difference between practice and match conditions. The problem is, I think Andy needs to change the technique on his return of serve and backhand. You can't do that in a match, where you are trying to scrap and do what it takes to win. You have to make these changes in practice. We will see the same flaws in those areas that we have seen in the last couple of years....things that the other tour players now pick on to beat Andy.....

partygirl
01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
teamed with Jan-Michael Gambill in 2001 to win the tournament¹s doubles crown.

do it again, do it again!
just cause it must be some sight those 2...
and winning no less:yeah:

Angle Queen
01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
You are right that there is a huge difference between practice and match conditions. The problem is, I think Andy needs to change the technique on his return of serve and backhand. You can't do that in a match, where you are trying to scrap and do what it takes to to win. You have to make these changes in practice. We will see the same flaws in those areas that we have seen in the last couple of years....things that the other tour players now pick on to beat Andy.....I agree, in principle...that you shouldn't start changing things in match play. But once you've worked on them in practice, you've got to eventually debut them in match play. Doing that at a GS...or on an unkind surface (like clay...for Andy)...is not a good idea.

In truth, though, I'm not convinced that Andy's convinced he's got to change his BH or return of serve. :sad:

Welcome to the forum, btw. :wavey:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Before he should even thing about any technical changes to his game, IMO, he has to worry about his HEAD. He could have the best return in the game but if he doesn't have the confidence to go for his shots and stuff, it doesn't matter. He has one of the best forehands in the game, but you wouldn't know it if you watched that Baghdatis match. His main important problems right now are all in his head, IMO.

LOL, I love ar.com
-------------------
Andy To Play Delray International Tournament
January 27th, 2006 02:41 pm
By Andyroddick.com Staff

In a completely unpredictable and inspired move, Andy has elected to play in the International Series Delray Beach qualifying tournament this weekend. Andy’s decision to compete in the tournament came after the wild card entry deadline, placing the top ranked American in territory reminiscent of his junior days.

This unprecedented and remarkable decision is a first for the men’s tour. Our sources at the ATP:rolls: report this has never been done before. The closest was Goran Ivanesivic back in 1991 playing a tune-up tournament in Nottingham prior to Wimbledon. Goran did play qualifying and was put in the draw as the #2 seed.

“I guess the simple reason is that Andy wanted to play matches,” agent Ken Meyerson reacted to his star client’s spontaneity.

Qualifying rounds begin Saturday. Check back to Ar.com for more of Andy in Delray Beach.

Go Andy!

warmy
01-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Gosh... I have to admit that I think this is sooo fuckin cool of him. He's trying something different and a bit radical to get himself where he wants to be. That takes guts and more importantly some real desire on Andy's part. I'm not sure it really matters if this works out or not, that Andy is willing to try is enough to put him firmly back into my good graces.

Andy :hug:

Angle Queen
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
He has one of the best forehands in the game, but you wouldn't know it if you watched that Baghdatis match.You know, I was shell-shocked at how many times I saw Andy stand there, apparently flat-footed...only to have Marcos crack a winner against him. Til I saw Marcos to the same thing to Nalby. Baggy must be really good at 'holding' the ball til the last possible moment...and is equally as good (or fearless) at picking on either side (FH or BH) of his opponent.

superpinkone37
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
:eek:

My vs.com buddy had mentioned in an email yesterday that there might be a surprise entry in the Delray tournament, but I had no clue what he was talking about...now I know :haha: :haha:

partygirl
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
that Andy is willing to try is enough to put him firmly back into my good graces.

Andy :hug:
wow your easy cassie. :)

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 06:18 PM
You know, I was shell-shocked at how many times I saw Andy stand there, apparently flat-footed...only to have Marcos crack a winner against him. Til I saw Marcos to the same thing to Nalby. Baggy must be really good at 'holding' the ball til the last possible moment...and is equally as good (or fearless) at picking on either side (FH or BH) of his opponent.Sure, definitely. But Andy still put in a horrible mental performance in that match. He gave up pretty early on (many of us knew as soon as he got broken in the third set that he was a goner, from his horrific body language), and his shots were landing mid-court. His backhand was so horrible it was making me cringe at how it looped and puffed around the court. It was just AWFUL. If he got some real confidence and momentum and was hitting through his shots again, he won't lose matches the way he lost that one - you'll have to outplay him to beat him, like it used to be, and his weaknesses wouldn't be nearly the liabilities they are now. and god almighty, he needs to stop doublefaulting on break point!

Is doing this going to help? I don't know. I don't see what good crushing a few guys outside the top 150 will do for him, but if he wants matches he wants matches. I hope it doesn't blow up in his face or whatever somehow.

snaillyyy
01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
:haha: :spit::lol::spit::scratch: :haha: because of other things the past couple days, I've been thinking I live in the twilight zone, but after this I am now convinced I am there! :haha: :haha: oh Andy if you don't make the draw (why does that thought even cross my mind :awww: )

warmy
01-27-2006, 06:32 PM
wow your easy cassie. :)
Yes. Yes I am.

Is doing this going to help? I don't know. I don't see what good crushing a few guys outside the top 150 will do for him, but if he wants matches he wants matches. I hope it doesn't blow up in his face or whatever somehow.

No doubt, Andy's taking a big risk in doing this. That he's willing to take this kind of risk says alot about his overal mind set. It's reminiscent of this wild kid I heard of a few years ago that played a tenacious and brutally passionate game and always just went for it. Although he might not be playing like that at the moment, if he's starting to think that way, there is hope for him yet.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Yes. Yes I am.

nothing wrong with that.

i do however hope it blows up in his pretty face...i don't know why?
(i think your talking to the bad twin:unsure:...give me a couple hours gemini A usually does'nt take over till about noon or so )

Fee
01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Memory lane... (from www.tennis.info)

NicoFan
01-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I just read about this. At first I thought it was a joke.

This decision is beyond me.

Andy love ya :hug: but what sweet pea is going on in your head? :confused:

Chaos Inc.
01-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Sure, definitely. But Andy still put in a horrible mental performance in that match. He gave up pretty early on (many of us knew as soon as he got broken in the third set that he was a goner, from his horrific body language), and his shots were landing mid-court. His backhand was so horrible it was making me cringe at how it looped and puffed around the court. It was just AWFUL. If he got some real confidence and momentum and was hitting through his shots again, he won't lose matches the way he lost that one - you'll have to outplay him to beat him, like it used to be, and his weaknesses wouldn't be nearly the liabilities they are now. and god almighty, he needs to stop doublefaulting on break point!

The mental issues he has on the court are a big problem. However, I believe there is little chance Roddick will get outside help in this area any time soon. He is too proud, in his mind it is a sign of weakness that he is not prepared to have exposed on a public basis at this time.As warmy mentioned, the best chance to confront this is by hiring a coach who is strong in this area. This is a field that Godlfine has not been strong at going back to his days as coach of Martin. Todd was a really good guy but nobody on the ATP tour choked in bigger moments than Todd.The '96 semi's at Wimbledon against Washington.....the '99 U.S. Open finals to Agassi etc.....

warmy
01-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Awww, shit.
Andy has just totally made my day. I'm smiling and down right giddy.
I'm such a dork. :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Awww, shit.
Andy has just totally made my day. I'm smiling and down right giddy.
I'm such a dork. :sobbing:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as a positive.

NicoFan
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
You know, in re-thinking this, it might not be bad.

Sometimes you've got to start back at the beginning. Square one. Remember what it was like when you were just starting out. Get the passion back.

partygirl
01-27-2006, 06:51 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78022 did i mention i love them?
jan mike...andy needs you.:hug:

Fee
01-27-2006, 06:55 PM
yeah, well... I've heard stories that they don't talk much anymore...

Anyway, I think this may turn out to be a wise move for Andy, but if he makes it through qualies, and to the SF or Final, then plays DC, I have to wonder which of the 3 tournaments in February he will pull out of (and it better not be San Jose!!!!! :( )

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 06:56 PM
I never said I thought it was bad. it just made me laugh really hard this morning that he'd resort to this. If he wants matches, he wants matches I just hope he doesn't get hurt or have another bad loss or something.

I just hope he gets whatever he wants from it :shrug:

partygirl
01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I have to wonder which of the 3 tournaments in February he will pull out of (and it better not be San Jose!!!!! )

he needs to 3peat in san jo.

-this will get him off my list-

& he needs to call jan mike back....reunite "team hotbitch"

look:

warmy
01-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Anyway, I think this may turn out to be a wise move for Andy, but if he makes it through qualies, and to the SF or Final, then plays DC, I have to wonder which of the 3 tournaments in February he will pull out of (and it better not be San Jose!!!!! :( )

He won't. Not if he wants to aviod severe bodily harm. http://www.free-smileys.org/emo/violent076.gif

Beware of Fee. :armed:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Anyway, I think this may turn out to be a wise move for Andy, but if he makes it through qualies, and to the SF or Final, then plays DC, I have to wonder which of the 3 tournaments in February he will pull out of (and it better not be San Jose!!!!! :( )Of the 3, I'd guess Vegas. He's very connected to Memphis and it's an ISG tourney so he really should play there for the points. If he doesn't play Memphis I'll be real disappointed. I'm sure he's expected to show at Vegas what with Andre not playing and it being widely promoted on TTC and all, but, not playing would give him a nice couple week break before IW and that'd be better than having the week off in the middle, I think.

Golfnduck
01-27-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm speechless......God he better get through qualies :lol:

MisterQ
01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Good for him. Why not?

The tournament director must be flipping out!! :lol: They were already ecstatic when Agassi agreed to play there.

superpinkone37
01-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Well at least Andy will be practicing with the best *cough*

According to my new BFF, Vince and Andy have a practice set up for today (actually it should be going on right now), and I'll get some pictures for my site :).

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 07:59 PM
OH DEAD DANIELLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

Dirk
01-27-2006, 07:59 PM
What will Andy have left for the spring masters is the real question. He will go deep or win all of these smaller US events plus he has DC to as well.

superpinkone37
01-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I know this is the wrong thread, but are the players for DC officially named as of now?

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 08:10 PM
not til Tuesday I don't think :)

acoffeygirl
01-27-2006, 08:14 PM
OK...I went to lunch...came back and checked here. I wasn't dreaming this morning...Andy really is playing qualies!! :lol:

snaillyyy
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Amber, you really arn't dreaming :lol: now nothing he does will ever be a surprise!

acoffeygirl
01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Amber, you really arn't dreaming :lol: now nothing he does will ever be a surprise!
I guess that could be a positive! :lol:

snaillyyy
01-27-2006, 08:29 PM
maybe we can use this to train our stomach acids not to bubble & boil when he plays;):lol:
Wonder who the "lucky" guy will be toface him first :p

Jennay
01-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, this is depressing.

williaer
01-27-2006, 09:21 PM
oh my, im super excited for this!
to be honest, im quite impressed with andy for using his initiative with playing the tournament and for 'lowering himself' (although it totally isnt) to playing qualies. this really shows that he does want match practise and he'll get it any way he can.

because these lower ranked players won't (or shouldn't) be hard for him, he can practise lots of new tricks in preparation for DC

woot for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havok
01-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Um..........ok :shrug:. If he loses more than 4 games a set, let alone a whole entire set :tape:.

acoffeygirl
01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Well maybe he'll really get to work on his return game. :shrug:

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
AR.com is so phucking useless. Check out this latest sugar-coated PR release from them about Andy playing the quallies:

In a completely unpredictable and inspired move, Andy has elected to play in the International Series Delray Beach qualifying tournament this weekend. Andy’s decision to compete in the tournament came after the wild card entry deadline, placing the top ranked American in territory reminiscent of his junior days.

This unprecedented and remarkable decision is a first for the men’s tour. Our sources at the ATP report this has never been done before. The closest was Goran Ivanesivic back in 1991 playing a tune-up tournament in Nottingham prior to Wimbledon. Goran did play qualifying and was put in the draw as the #2 seed.

"I guess the simple reason is that Andy wanted to play matches," agent Ken Meyerson reacted to his star client’s spontaneity.

Qualifying rounds begin Saturday. Check back to Ar.com for more of Andy in Delray Beach.

Go Andy!

Oh please STFU, Ken Meyerson. :rolleyes: Why do these a-holes always feel the need to downplay stuff like this? Who are they trying to protect? Who do they think they're kidding?

I'm really starting to hate ar.com. Can't they be real? Just for once?

Winston's Human
01-27-2006, 10:24 PM
My God!

I spend an afternoon playing with Mae and away from the computer, and the world goes crazy.

Oh well! At least being a Roddick fan is never boring.

williaer
01-27-2006, 10:29 PM
wow... the general response in GM is positive!
who knew such a strange and unpredictable move could bring fans together from all over the world :p
this is the first time ive seen this many good comments about andy in GM...

williaer
01-27-2006, 10:30 PM
My God!

I spend an afternoon playing with Mae and away from the computer, and the world goes crazy.

Oh well! At least being a Roddick fan is never boring.
:lol: well, andy sure does keep us on our toes!!

awww playing with Mae... she's just gorgeous :inlove:

Winston's Human
01-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Thank you. We are very lucky to have such a sweet little girl.

Golfnduck
01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
I want to see the qualy draw, this could be interesting :lol:

williaer
01-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I want to see the qualy draw, this could be interesting :lol:
me too... i wonder how many names ill recognise... 2? 3?

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
About that, Ellen;)

Should be made in about 2 hours from now, who knows when it'll make it online. Delray is notorious every year for lack of information lol

williaer
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
About that, Ellen;)

Should be made in about 2 hours from now, who knows when it'll make it online. Delray is notorious every year for lack of information lol
no doubt they'll get their poo together because our very AmazingAndy is playing and because it's so "wow"ed by the tennis world, im sure they'll be capitalizing on the sudden interest in the tournament

Jennay
01-27-2006, 11:15 PM
:sobbing: I :sobbing: want :sobbing: to :sobbing: go :sobbing:.

williaer
01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
:sobbing: I :sobbing: want :sobbing: to :sobbing: go :sobbing:.
go where?

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Jen I thought you WERE Gonna go!!!!!

tangerine_dream
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
no doubt they'll get their poo together because our very AmazingAndy is playing and because it's so "wow"ed by the tennis world, im sure they'll be capitalizing on the sudden interest in the tournament
LOL. Right? I'd love to know how high the tournament director jumped when he got word that Andy wanted a WC. :rolls:

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 11:22 PM
LOL. Right? I'd love to know how high the tournament director jumped when he got word that Andy wanted a WC. :rolls:
Pretty high, but props to everyone involved for not renegging on Mardy or Sarge to give it to andy instead and make one of them play qualies.

Winston's Human
01-27-2006, 11:23 PM

I would like to know if he had to change his trousers?

guida
01-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I really hope one of you American girls/guys is going, because this will go down in Andy/tennis history and we fans need all the details we can get! :)

Jennay
01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Ellen, I live like 2 hours from Delray Beach. I was going to go in the first place but then I decided to go an extra day to the Nasdaq-100. And now, I wish I would have gotten a ticket. :(

Deboogle!.
01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Steve, I'm SURE he had to change his pants. Maybe multiple times ;) I really hope one of you American girls/guys is going, because this will go down in Andy/tennis history and we fans need all the details we can get! :)I don't think any regulars here are. I get the semis and final on TV but that's not the historic part

I bet someone from AR.com will be there, maybe someone who's bold enough to go over there sometimes will fill us in ;)

guida
01-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Steve, I'm SURE he had to change his pants. Maybe multiple times ;) I don't think any regulars here are. I get the semis and final on TV but that's not the historic part :haha: Exactly. ;)

I bet someone from AR.com will be there, maybe someone who's bold enough to go over there sometimes will fill us in ;)

Guess that'll have to do then. :p

surfpinky
01-27-2006, 11:45 PM
OH MY FUCKING CARLOS!
:spit: :haha: :spit:
this just made my week :haha:

Noelle
01-27-2006, 11:58 PM
:eek: :crying2: :rolls:

renee_chin
01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
I know this is kinda late, but... :speakles:

acoffeygirl
01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
I know this is kinda late, but... :speakles:
That is OK....we are still reacting that way! :lol:

Paty Roddick
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
im still lmao!

wish i could go tho

heya
01-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Roddick, who grew up in nearby Boca Raton, Florida and now lives in Austin, is eager to accumulate more match play before the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against Romania set for February 10-12th at the LaJolla Beach & Tennis Club.

There is growing speculation Agassi and Roddick will be the American singles starters for that tie with twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan playing doubles, forming a team of four U.S. Open champions. That cast was in place last April when the U.S. was upset by eventual Davis Cup champion Croatia in Carson, California. Agassi hinted he hopes to play the Davis Cup tie in a conference call with the media. U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe will officially announce the U.S. squad next week. Tennis Week has contacted McEnroe for comment on Agassi's remarks.
he neglected match play +
...faked how well he played in practice
He cancelled tournaments a lot in the last 3 years.
It's no surprise that his cowardly arrogance got too obvious.
Dean went into panic mode.

I just watched Todd Martin saying, "Andy didn't play bad at the Australian Open."
BULLCRAP, Todd. :bs:

Who cares about Davis Cup and exhibitions when you've forgotten how to play top 100 level tennis? THe only way you're going to come out with a Slam win is if you're physically and mentally tough. The fans know Andy isn't going to win Davis Cup or a Slam with his poor work ethics.

He denied that he couldn't play great without twisting his back last October....
Then, he played with the injured back at the charity exhibition.
He lied about having a long EFFING SCHEDULE. :o
Is he playing for his family because he can't risk a broken relationship with them if he quits tennis?

He's clearly careless, complacent & childish
In his own words, he "paid the price."

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 02:23 AM
So according to this person, http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2995240&postcount=84 Andy's not playing. And the ATP/Delray site took off that article and the feature link.

Golfnduck
01-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Hmmmm....I'm so confused, lol :scratch:

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 02:37 AM
The draw should've been made about an hour and a half ago, but this tourney has a bad history of putting stuff on their site so i'm not surprised it's slow getting online.

Paty Roddick
01-28-2006, 02:44 AM
yes andy is not playing according to AR.com website

snaillyyy
01-28-2006, 02:46 AM
:shrug: just can't figure the guy out sometimes :rolleyes: ok....frequently.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Sounds like someone at the tourney messed up.... :o
------------------------------
Update: Andy Will Not Be Playing Delray Beach Tournament
January 27th, 2006 11:26 pm
By Andyroddick.com Staff

In our eagerness to supply the latest, breaking news to AR.com readers, we
inadvertently reported that Andy would be participating in the Delray Beach
tournament.

Andy is currently in South Florida where he plans to practice prior to leaving for his upcoming Davis Cup match in California. He did give very strong consideration to this opportunity to play high level matches and in our exuberance, took that consideration as a decision – as did other media.

Our reporters will investigate this situation fully and have a report on Saturday. As we so often say, check back often for the latest on Andy right here on andyroddick.com.

Our apologies for not getting it right the first time.

surfpinky
01-28-2006, 02:49 AM
:spit: I find this whole thing heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelarious :haha:

snaillyyy
01-28-2006, 02:49 AM
hmmmm :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Me too, Nat! :lol:

Chaos Inc.
01-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Ok...........................

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
My best guesstimate is, he talked to the tourney, they said they couldn't give him a WC but that he could play qualies, he said he'd think about it or something, and someone put it out that he was playing. I highly doubt he'd say so and then change his mind in just a few hours.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2006, 03:02 AM
:haha: :rolls: :bigcry:

Oh wow, somebody goofed big time! That news hit the wires in no time and I had it up in my blog and everything.

Maaan. Now I feel jipped. Again. I was looking forward to the circus atmosphere.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2006, 03:03 AM
I would like to know if he had to change his trousers?
NOW he does. :devil:

surfpinky
01-28-2006, 03:05 AM
love the new title :haha:

Fee
01-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Okay, how much will you all give me if I see him in San Jose and say, 'Dude, did you come through qualies here? Impressive...'

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 03:15 AM
I'll let you stay with me and feed you again ;)

Fee
01-28-2006, 03:18 AM
chicken thingy? I'm there, but you have to move the bed AWAY FROM THE AIR CONDITIONING VENT. :lol:

heya
01-28-2006, 03:38 AM
I'm the only one who wasn't fooled by the article. Andy's too spoiled to care that much.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Roddick Steps Out Of Delray Beach Qualifying Draw
By Tennis Week
01/28/2006

Andy Roddick is out of the Delray Beach draw before he was even in it. The third-ranked Roddick has opted out of playing in this weekend’s qualifying tournament for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

"Andy had informed us that he was considering playing in our qualifying tournament, as direct entries were closed and our wild cards had been distributed weeks in advance," Delray Beach tournament director Mark Baron said in a statement released at 10 p.m. on Friday night. "However, he did not commit and after careful consideration following training today, Andy told us that he would not participate in the qualifying tournament. He instead will remain in South Florida and resume training for the upcoming Davis Cup tie. We were obviously looking forward to Andy's participation, we wish him good luck next week and we hope he will play next year."

Roddick’s decision comes hours after the ITC announced Roddick’s Davis Cup teammate, James Blake, had withdrawn from the main draw.

Tournament officials initially announced Roddick would play qualifying shortly after noon Eastern time on Friday. Roddick, who fell to 54th-ranked Marcos Baghdatis in the fourth round of the Australian Open, planned to play his first qualifying event since the 2000 Austin, Texas Challenger in an effort to accumulate more match play before the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against Romania set February 10-12th at the LaJolla Beach & Tennis Club in LaJolla, California.

"I spoke to Andy and he requested a wild card and he understands that I didn’t have one to give," said Baron, who gave Roddick a wild card into his first ATP tournament in 2000 and one in 2001 as well. "He is playing the qualies because he wants match play, it's his hometown and it works for him."

Instead, former Boca Raton resident Roddick will spend the week practicing.

superpinkone37
01-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Okay, how much will you all give me if I see him in San Jose and say, 'Dude, did you come through qualies here? Impressive...':haha: :haha:

btw, thanks for the site publicity :kiss: I had all these hits all of a sudden and I tracked down where they all came from :lol:

... after careful consideration following training today, Andy told us that he would not participate in the qualifying tournament.Vince must have kicked his ass in that practice and Andy was worried that he wouldn't make it thorugh qualifying. ;)

heya
01-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Roddick said he regretted being unable to play this year in Delray.http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/27/a1c_roddick_0127.html

Sure....

heya
01-28-2006, 04:11 AM
www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...la-sports-front

TENNIS

Roddick changes his mind, won't play at Delray

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer

January 28, 2006

DELRAY BEACH -- In a controversial decision, Andy Roddick overruled his last-minute decision to enter the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships and pulled out Friday night.

It appears Roddick was not thrilled about having to go through qualifying matches this weekend for a chance to earn one of the four spots available in the 32-player draw. Tournament organizers had already given out the ATP-mandated three wild cards to eight-time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi, Mardy Fish and Sargis Sargsian -- Agassi's hitting partner who retired after the U.S. Open.

At first, Roddick seemed fine with having an opportunity to become the ATP's first top-seeded qualifier, so that he could better prepare for the upcoming Davis Cup competition with Romania (Feb. 10-12) in La Jolla, Calif., particularly after getting bounced from the Australian Open in the fourth round by eventual finalist Marcos Baghdatis.

However, Roddick, who flew in from his other home in Austin, Texas, Friday afternoon, grew testier as the day wore on. During a 90-minute practice session with fellow Boca Raton resident Vincent Spadea in front of about 40 fortunate spectators on the Delray Beach Tennis Center's Stadium Court, Roddick screamed about the blustery conditions.

"I love the wind. Awesome," Roddick shouted before smashing one racket and whacking a ball out of the stadium.

Roddick, who politely turned down any formal interviews with the media, did lob a few digs at the ATP's wild-card rule and tournament organizers as he walked to the locker room.

"Why would I get a wild card into an American tournament, [being the] top-ranked American?" Roddick asked, taking a sarcastic backhand swat at whomever he deemed at fault. "Why would that happen? That makes too much sense."

Despite a disappointing withdrawal by the charismatic James Blake, who cited schedule overload as he too gets ready for Davis Cup, Paul Goldstein and Jiri Novak, Roddick wasn't permitted direct entry into the draw because those who committed to the tournament six weeks ago were given priority.

That meant instead of Roddick, the third-ranked player in the world, the fans will get to see unknowns such as Michael Berrer, Oliver Marach and Igor Kunitsyn.

"In order to get into the tournament you have to enter 42 days in advance and Andy didn't do that," ATP supervisor Tom Barnes said. "The only other way to get in is to get a wild card or to play qualifiers and win, or be a lucky loser if there's a spot. Or if one of the wild cards withdrew before we made the draw."

Roddick wasn't interested in hearing about rules.

"Maybe, I should play more Davis Cup, that's the story. Oh, wait, I do," Roddick cracked.

Spadea, 31, who is mounting yet another comeback, had to make it through qualifiers to get into the main draw at Sydney two weeks ago before losing to Lleyton Hewitt in the first round.

"Playing two matches in one day is challenging," Spadea said. "This is something that's out of this tennis world. It's unbelievable and at the same time Roddick is unbelievable in a lot of great ways.

"But I'll believe it when I see the first point played."

Tournament director Mark Baron, who was doing figurative cartwheels in his office after Roddick called Thursday evening to request admission into the $380,000 tournament, said the strong field featuring Agassi, Tommy Haas and Robby Ginepri already had tickets being sold at a record pace.

"[Roddick] did not commit and after careful consideration following training [Friday], Andy told us that he would not participate in the qualifying tournament," Baron said in a statement.

Roddick who reached the finals here in 2002 where he lost to Davide Sanguinetti, told Baron that he would remain in South Florida to train for the Davis Cup tie.

"If he went out there and lost in the qualifying, obviously that wouldn't be too good for his confidence," Goldfine said before Roddick changed his mind. "But you can't worry about the losing. You have to look at the upside of preparing for Davis Cup."

Several hopeful qualifiers were strolling the grounds peeking in at Roddick.

"Those guys in the Top 10 who drop down, you have too many guys who will scrap harder and take them, so it's best to stay out of the qualies if you can," said Mashiska Washington, 31, ranked 776.

Evidently, Roddick took Washington's advice.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Oh Andy, not cute :o

I realize he gets testy at practice a lot... but :o

:(. Not happy with him right now.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Eh? Is that article for real? :confused: :scratch:

I'm so confuzzled.

surfpinky
01-28-2006, 04:22 AM
:o
IDIOT.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 04:22 AM
It's for real, why wouldn't it be?

It's not like Andy said those things to the media, but the media was there and heard him muttering, probably.

But regardless of the context, he should've known it would've required two matches on saturday, the schedule was published on the tourney site for months.

Moreover, the entitlement complex isn't cute, it's disappointing, he knows the rules. Sure, hes done a lot and the USTA should do him favors like that when possible. But not if it comes at others' costs who did things properly and stuff. They can't break the rules for him.

snaillyyy
01-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Doesn't do much to improve the image right now Andy! Disappointed in him:(

heya
01-28-2006, 04:31 AM
"Playing two matches in one day is challenging," Spadea said. "This is something that's out of this tennis world. It's unbelievable and at the same time Roddick is unbelievable in a lot of great ways.

"But I'll believe it when I see the first point played."
Awww, Sweet Vinnay's sincere as always. :inlove:

"If he went out there and lost in the qualifying, obviously that wouldn't be too good for his confidence," Goldfine said before Roddick changed his mind. "But you can't worry about the losing. You have to look at the upside of preparing for Davis Cup."
Ka ching ka ching....pussy coach.

heya
01-28-2006, 04:56 AM
I knew he was going to blow up. :explode:
Mama's boy never loved tennis in the 1st place...
He has special treatment from his parents....I can tell.
They let him say whatever he wants....

Mardy lived in his family home and
still, Andy wasn't taught manners. He joined the pro tour when he should've
went to school.

Insecure brat.
He's now a confused, bitter, rich, conceited boy.....
It's not about improving your game with helpful people around....
It's all about being a clown for Davis Cup.

He senses his demise.
Nowadays, he fakes an indignant attitude in front of qualifiers.
A bad clone of John McEnroe.
:smash:

warmy
01-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Wow...ugh. How did Andy manage to turn everything that was going to be utterly cool into total shit. Elitist cowardly PIG.

God, I hate Andy Roddick.

...and Dean too.
...actually right now, I hate everybody.

williaer
01-28-2006, 05:38 AM
oh andy... dont be a brat :(

it's not the end of the world he isnt playing (hell, we only found out the was considering it today) so long as he gets good preparation for davis cup.

gosh, if this article gets into GM...

heya
01-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Go join the doubles tour. It's more fun and pleasant.
it's easier to win there. 3 sets..
no dumb coach and blood sucking leech Pat McEnroe around.

Chaos Inc.
01-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Go join the doubles tour. It's more fun and pleasant.
it's easier to win there. 3 sets..
no dumb coach and blood sucking leech Pat McEnroe around.

John's little brother was there tonight during the doubles final.

Had to get his facetime.....

whosthis77
01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
"I love the wind. Awesome," Roddick shouted before smashing one racket and whacking a ball out of the stadium. :retard: :haha:

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 05:59 AM
"I love the wind. Awesome," Roddick shouted before smashing one racket and whacking a ball out of the stadium. :retard: :haha:Yeah. He was obviously just in a pissy mood during practice - that's not at all unusual for him. But the other comments are just :retard:

tangerine_dream
01-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Let's cut Andy some slack, ok? He was obviously just venting to somebody and crabbing at himself while practicing (like he usually does). He's allowed to be pissy after that lousy showing at AO, I think.

heya
01-28-2006, 06:16 AM
pat, the useless one, was there to be a "motivater" (his own word).
Pat clapped like he was shocked that Leander Paes, who came back from a deadly illness, lost a match.

It's ok to practice on clay + outside the US, with a Spanish/Chilean coach (one of Fernando Gonzalez's coach friends)...cause it's positively pathetic in Florida.

Otherwise, retire from a fast changing sport that you can't keep up with, Andy...
You hate it....

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Let's cut Andy some slack, ok? He was obviously just venting to somebody and crabbing at himself while practicing (like he usually does). He's allowed to be pissy after that lousy showing at AO, I think.Sure, being pissy is complaining about the wind or tossing the racquet or whatever. But the other comments just make him sound like a whiny 15 year old spoiled brat who didn't get what he wanted and was too immature to realize the rules can't be broken just for him.

acoffeygirl
01-28-2006, 06:48 AM
*sigh*

J. Corwin
01-28-2006, 06:57 AM
:smash:

heya
01-28-2006, 07:03 AM
I wasn't fooled by the false modesty in interviews.....
You don't just make sudden decisions, disrespect other players, and then get away
with it because you embarrassed yourself in a Slam.
Your reputation is damaged even worse, VILE BRAT Andy.

He thinks people should congratulate him for being #3 + American.
Sorry, but he's lucky at #3 and hanging on a tight rope by the time
the grass season comes.... Below #10 next year.

Obviously, he doesn't get it.

He can manipulate as an ass-kisser who loves to let go of sickening tank jobs and choked matches.
Then, he lectures us about being lucky to be alive
Being Mr. SMILEY, Ingratiating Wanker's perfectly harmless to his competitive drive, he tells us. Eeh wrong.

The next minute, he impulsively spouts loudly about how entitled he is to free gifts and love.
He had so much money + special treatment in his rich home....he can't understand why umpires + tourney directors don't hand him easy wins. They're self-indulgent like him...does he think they care about him too?!!!

He got found out......the reporter did a GOOD JOB....
No use in hiding your lack of understanding, Andy. Sarcasm can't mask your disrespectful self.

He looked bitter in the 2003 Australian Open....3 years later, he still hates himself.

He's a copycat of his macho, insecure sport heroes (a lot of Shaquille O'Neal/Serena Williams + only a little of Lance Armstrong behavior).
He's not learning sophistication and can't learn how to shut up.

Noelle
01-28-2006, 08:02 AM
OK, this is not a good tennis news day for me. :o I'm even hating all the bad press surrounding Justine's retirement from the AO final.

I'm out of here. :bolt:

blosson
01-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh well, the idea that Andy was such a dedicated player who would play qualis to get match play and prepare for the future was too good to be true. :o

I hate winy Dean's comments. It just shows how NOT confident he is. :(

Vinnie was sarcastic.

blosson
01-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok. Those quotes from the article might be out of context but it does show how diva-like Andy behaves at times and how disappointing Dean can be. Honestly, a coach who makes a comment like that will never boost Andy's confidence and I wonder even more now if he is the right coach. :unsure:

If he is so proud of his number 3 ranking, Andy should be scared of the top 10 and NOT the qualifiers! He should have gone there and show them how it's done. Pussy. Oh wait, Andy lost to qualifiers in 3 out of last 4 slams... :(

I hope James withdrawal has nothing to do with the above pathec group.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok. Those quotes from the article might be out of context but it does show how diva-like Andy behaves at times and how disappointing Dean can be. Honestly, a coach who makes a comment like that will never boost Andy's confidence and I wonder even more now if he is the right coach. :unsure:We can only guess, but yeah, I imagine Dean's comment was taken out of context, but yeah, still.
If he is so proud of his number 3 ranking, Andy should be scared of the top 10 and NOT the qualifiers! He should have gone there and show them how it's done. Pussy. Oh wait, Andy lost to qualifiers in 3 out of last 4 slams... :( lol, yeah. But I don't think fear is why Andy decided not to play. I think logic hopefully took control and he realized that playing a lot of matches in a short amount of time right before DC might not have actually been the best idea. It was nice in theory that he was gonna be all noble and stuff, but there's not really a need for him to play 2 matches a day, regardless of how easily he might've won them. Andy's had a lot of issues in slams, but the guys he's lost to weren't qualifiers! Acasuso, Muller, and Marcos all at least got in directly :lol:I hope James withdrawal has nothing to do with the above pathec group.There was a rumor James was maybe gonna pull out before all this started, so I think it's 100% unrelated, thank goodness:)

surfpinky
01-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm still mad at the idiot. :o

partygirl
01-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm the only one who wasn't fooled by the article. Andy's too spoiled to care that much.

NO>.

sounds rife with publicity too.
he does'nt sound as if he was ever happy about having to qualify, take 12-24 hrs to get the story out then decline...instant better press than a fourth round exit...because at least the thought of a top ten player trying to qualify makes you look cool, or good or something (just look through the first pages here) then when you decline its not really your fault cause you deserve better treatment:lol: i love it.:hearts:

andytude is my favorite...it looks good on him, he should throw his weight around more he has enough. :angel:

partygirl
01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
[I] I wasn't fooled by the false modesty
again i quote heya :worship:
but really false modesty is a problem...seems like ever since late 2003 he has been on this false modesty trip, that i simply refuse to buy, more than that it seems compensatory.:scared: (this may need to be taken up with the head doc. ;) )

its okay to have an attitude, just own up to it.
it happens to the best of us.
i think somewhere in there he has the goods to back it up. i know.

look its easy:
"im larah :wavey: ...im a bitch. -sometimes :rolleyes: "

those comments only confirm the fact he needs head help ASAP, FOR HIS OWN GOOD-FIRST.

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Man oh man, someday AR.com is gonna get sued for ripping off other people. Maybe if the site got its act together and only posted things that they received from Andy's people, they wouldn't have been "on the bandwagon" :shrug:
-------------------------------------------
Delray Beach Details
January 28th, 2006 12:29 pm
By Andyroddick.com Staff

Being the top ranked American men’s tennis player, Andy Roddick can rarely fly under the radar. So when he flew into Delray Beach Friday afternoon from Austin Texas, everyone jumped to conclusions. (including us at Ar.com). Andy did discuss the potential opportunity to enter the qualifying tournament at Delray Beach with Tournament Organizers, which snowballed into a media frenzy.

“Andy had informed us that he was considering playing in our qualifying tournament, as direct entries were closed and our wild cards had been distributed weeks in advance. However, he did not commit and after careful consideration following an on-site training session, Andy told us that he would not participate in the qualifying tournament. Delray Beach Tournament Director, Mark Baron, set things straight, “He instead will remain in South Florida and resume training for the upcoming Davis Cup tie. We were obviously looking forward to Andy’s participation, we wish him good luck next week and we hope he will play next year.”

Initially Andy was looking at the Qualifying entry as an opportunity to better prepare for the upcoming Davis Cup competition with Romania (Feb. 10-12) in La Jolla, California. But after careful consideration following a practice session with fellow American Vince Spadea in Delray Beach, Andy decided that a week of training in South Florida would sufficiently prepare him for next week.

“I love the wind. Awesome,” Andy voiced his discomfort with the blustering conditions at Delray Beach during the training session. Andy politely turned down any formal interviews with the media yesterday. Unfortunately, the commotion of yesterday afternoon was followed by the withdrawal of James Blake from this week’s event.

“In order to get into the tournament you have to enter 42 days in advance and Andy didn’t do that,” ATP supervisor Tom Barnes helped explain the entry process. “The only other way to get in is to get a wild card or to play qualifiers and win, or be a lucky loser if there’s a spot. Or if one of the wild cards withdrew before we made the draw.”
Vince Spadea, who played the qualifying rounds in Sydney a few weeks back, commented on the grind of the Qualifying tournament. “Playing two matches in one day is challenging,” Spadea said.

Frankly speaking, you cannot withdrawal from something you never officially entered, but in Andy’s case, the excitement surrounding his game tends to blur reality, as we have often seen in the tabloids.:spit: :rolls: :rolls: Ar.com is sincerely apologetic for jumping on that bandwagon. Check back to Ar.com for more of Andy in South Florida as he prepares for Davis Cup.

partygirl
01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Check back to Ar.com for more of Andy in South Florida as he prepares for Davis Cup.

WHY WOULD WE CHECK BACK?:spit:

surfpinky
01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
:haha: :rolls: :haha:
oh, ar.com, what would I do without you?
:rolls:

Deboogle!.
01-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Why, Larah? So we can make fun of them some more :p

Jennay
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
What a brat. :o

Fee
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
That website is becoming an outright embarrassment to Andy.

heya
01-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Andytude's great when his game's solid like in August 2003.

IMO, he did a 180 degree turn.

The spoiled life + desire to make everyone happy off court destroyed him.... He didn't take charge of his matches + schedule....
I don't think anybody was concerned at all....they jumped on the RODDICK PROMOTION bandwagon (did the SPORTSCENTURY TV BIOGRAPHY)

He wasted 2 set leads and needed McEnroe to help him win the BELGIUM DAVIS CUP MATCH. He didn't care if he lost to Federer or Agassi, and was very unprepared at all the SLAMS. His poor fitness killed his self esteem also.....the mental energy evaporated.

He has no game plan....he can't make himself look worse to the media....
A plot to look the best possible isn't really in his mind. That's probably for Federer or Agassi..... Andy hates himself.
His desire is to look like the untalented CLOWN.
...the Roddicks don't want to admit that he was the replacement for Bro John, who couldn't continue to play.... :fiery:

Chaos Inc.
01-28-2006, 07:39 PM
It really was a shame about John Roddick.

Saw him play as a junior........he had a tremendous amount of talent.....plus fire and passion for the game.

Too bad he hurt his back...............I really think he would have been among the best.

heya
01-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Andy called John a hero and was upset about the back injury.
Andy hurt his back, but played another exhibition. :smash:
(NOBODY WILL STOP DONATING MONEY IF HE CAN"T PLAY IN FRONT OF SCREAMING 9 yr. old girls.)
If you brag about losing 10 pounds, PLEASE DON'T GAIN MORE MUSCLE....
Anyone with common sense knows this.
Then again, the Roddick Team's :retard: :retard:.

Andy gave up most everywhere...
-DID A TV SHOW instead of going to MASTERS CUP (again, he disappeared in 2004 and 2005),
-Rome,
-Hamburg (lazy dropshot at 5-6--the worse I've ever seen),
-Australian Open,
-US Open,
-FO,
-even Wimbledon (barely was concerned after winning 2 sets, but he had to dive volley to save the 2nd round)

He knew he was Drowned Duck before the final. No use in holding comedy skits for reporters anymore.
He was a drama queen. Nervous and apologetic that he hit a drop shot that brushed the net + dropped over TOJO's courtside.
....AR was really heavy +
lethargic after serving predictable 140 mph + wasn't blasting backhands or
being patient before serves /volleys)

-DAVIS CUP FINAL (happy to play tiebreaks like it's sudden death...that's it)
Forgot that he choked on a 3rd set set point (double fault)
-Olympics (smiled + kidded around with friends instead of getting game together)
Draw wasn't too difficult either.

-Thailand,
- Toronto
- CIncinnati.

Dumb prick cries about "tough competition".
YES, Andy....that's why Federer can play bad + scrape by Zabaleta, Ancic, Minar, Davydenko, Haas, Ferrero, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Safin, Hewitt, Agassi + YOU (Basel 2001 3 6 6 3 7 6
, Wimbledon 2004,
Cincinnati,
Toronto (andy did nothing but hit forehands and lost 15-40 & 0-40 BREAK POINT CHANCES)..

He just stood. waiting for the inevitable celebration of his opponents.

cobalt60
01-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Drama Queen and Drowned Duck- why do I envision a Monty Python skit? :o

Golfnduck
01-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Drama Queen and Drowned Duck- why do I envision a Monty Python skit? :o
LMFAO!!!! :haha: :sobbing:

warmy
01-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't even know why I bother pretending that Andy has priorities in Tennis. He fakes his passion for Tennis, just like he fakes his modesty. His real ambitions lay in sloth and poker.

Dean only encourages his fear and expectations of failure and allowes him to behave like a brat.

guida
01-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh well, now that we're all floored with disappointment, maybe we can stop having great expectations for him. If this is indeed a sample of 2006 Andy, then we might as well just sit back and be miserable.

heya
01-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm glad they're not showing Davis Cup on Espn.
I can't stand the "party and babysit Max" atmosphere.
Andy can't handle pain anymore-- emotional & physical.

He cried and apologized for losing in 2002.

Winning includes being honest.
It's not bad to look disrespectful just because you cancel a few
tournaments & charity exhbitions.

MisterQ
01-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Wait, so now he's not playing? :shrug: Fickle much? OK. well...Go Andre! :dance:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Wait, so now he's not playing? :shrug: Fickle much? OK. well...Go Andre! :dance:He never WAS Playing. He was *thinking* about it. then had a practice and decided not to.

I wonder who got fired over this boo-boo ;)

Cassie :scared: did heya take over your body? :p

superpinkone37
01-29-2006, 01:20 AM
He never WAS Playing. He was *thinking* about it. then had a practice and decided not to.

I wonder who got fired over this boo-boo ;)

Apparently Vince was playing really well and Andy was pissed off at the wind (damn you mother nature ;)) but he still beat Vince :shrug: I guess if one is too close in a practice set with Vince Spadea, something is wrong. Vince sucks :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2006, 01:22 AM
But this info was coming from your BFF ;) What's he gonna say, Vinnay was sucking? :p

Andy doesn't usually get upset when his opponent plays well, he usually gets upset at himself :p

warmy
01-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Cassie :scared: did heya take over your body? :p
The wisdom of Heya is clear, I am but a minion. :bowdown:

superpinkone37
01-29-2006, 04:18 AM
But this info was coming from your BFF ;) What's he gonna say, Vinnay was sucking? :p

Andy doesn't usually get upset when his opponent plays well, he usually gets upset at himself :pVince must be playing well. I mean look at his record for this year.

ok, don't look, it's 0-3..shuddup :sobbing:

Fee
01-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Hey Pinkster, how's the hit count on your site these days? :lol:

superpinkone37
01-29-2006, 05:50 AM
It's doubled from what it was two days ago :sobbing:

Carito_90
01-29-2006, 06:46 AM
I read this first in GM and then here. I read it like 10 times. I thought I was sort of misunderstanding something you know.

But Andy was going to try to qualify for a tournament.

I mean... WHAT THE FLYING FUCK?!

Thank god he's not playing. That'd just be a plain waste of time.

heya
01-29-2006, 12:15 PM
:yeah: I, the evil one, hate Rodd, the sacrificial duck.
Sacrifice potential by being the heart-felt hero for "friends."

He knows he jumped into the arms of coaches just because they lived in the US.

(he knew that we knew he lied) Andy begged for special treatment from "American hero tournament directors."
He and Dean lied about his ball striking. What pride can he lose now? His balls are gone!?:devil:

Andy can fake that he loves Slams + Davis Cup...
The fact is he loves AMERICAN EVENTS with good chances to win....
(Andy should be ranked #50. Live by the unremarkable serve....die by it too).

Pat Mc sucked butt pathetically. "Players aren't taking all tournaments seriously."
Andy can only think about DC, now that his career is over.
I'm sure Andy will sacrifice his career to play Davis Cup for Daddy Pat. :inlove:
Pat, the 2 faced sycophantic minion, repeated ad nauseum, "The game is not filled with big servers! GREAT for us! The men's game is deeper + better than in Laver's era." REALLY, PAT? :bs: Mr. Unbiased Pat, my ass.

When he got scared of Fed, he decided to wimp out before he had more nightmares of another loss.
Haas & Davydenko choked away possible 4 set wins. No reason to deny it.
Marcos was weak at break point chances, but PATMC can only call him a genius with GREAT COURT SENSE.

partygirl
01-29-2006, 03:33 PM
heya is :angel: but makes me :sad: cause its not :bs:

F andy.

Deboogle!.
01-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Always two sides to the story. :) Very interesting. And it would explain why Andy was so upset. Because by the time he had that practice, he knew that it had hit the press. Man, the tourney messed up bigtime on this one, I'd say.
===============================
Coach: Roddick felt deceived by tourney director

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff Writer
Posted January 29 2006

DELRAY BEACH · Andy Roddick's coach said that his player's change of heart regarding his last-minute request to play in the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships on Friday had little to do with him having to play in this weekend's qualifying rounds.

Because the three allotted wild cards had already been given to Mardy Fish, Andre Agassi and Sargis Sargsian -- Agassi's close friend and hitting partner -- Roddick, who decided Thursday night to enter the $380,000 event to help prepare for the upcoming Davis Cup tie against Romania, was prepared to earn his way into the 32-player draw, a rare route for top-ranked players.

``Why would Andy fly in from Texas at his own expense to play?'' asked Roddick's coach, Dean Goldfine. ``Sure, it would've been easier to get a wild card, but it didn't have anything to do about playing qualifiers. Andy couldn't justify being out there playing their tournament when he felt deceived by [tournament director] Mark Baron.''

The only issue of contention that Goldfine would specifically address had to do with Roddick's agreement with the tournament not to publicize his participation in qualifying until he actually was playing.

Baron called this a ``misunderstanding.''

Baron said earlier in the week when he was aware of Roddick's intentions to play his tournament that he asked the ATP to expand the draw to 48, which would net a fourth wild card. He knew that wasn't a realistic request on such short notice.

``I called Fish's people to see if he was healthy. They said he was ready to play,'' Baron said of Fish, who has undergone two wrist surgeries and has been off the tour for the past five months. ``There was nothing else I could do. Andy wanted a wild card, and I had none to offer.''

Fish, who like Roddick is represented by SFX, said he never felt pressure to give up his wild card to his friend, but he suggested that the 300th-ranked Sargsian, 32, who retired after the U.S. Open, should have.

``I think everybody knows the one who should get pressure a lot,'' Fish said. ``I didn't get [a wild card] in San Jose, and Sargis got one there as well. It's kind of a bummer for both of us.''

Baron said he would never ask a healthy player to give back a wild card and didn't ask Sargsian.

Fee
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
so, a little public rumbling from a player about the Sarge wildcards... eggssssseeeellllllleeennnttttt.

superpinkone37
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
interesting...

blosson
01-29-2006, 08:11 PM
yeah but it put a lot of pressure on Sargi to do well now. poor dude.

cobalt60
01-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Any info out there about why Sarge decided to come out of retirement? Forget the fact that he is Andre's friend and hitting partner or that he took a wild card better used by someone else ;). Just wondering if $ is an issue ( although I doubt we will ever hear about that) ,if he wants socialization, or if he just misses tennis too much.

acoffeygirl
01-29-2006, 08:47 PM
So I wonder if Andy would have played, had the tourney not screwed up and publicized it?

tangerine_dream
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
:rolleyes: Thanks to the directors for making Andy look like an ass. If only someone had kept his mouth shut maybe Andy would've played Delray.

So anyway, I've decided that ar.com should change their official logo to something that's more accurate:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/roddickwatch/forumdown.jpg

:retard:

Carito_90
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
``I think everybody knows the one who should get pressure a lot,'' Fish said. ``I didn't get [a wild card] in San Jose, and Sargis got one there as well. It's kind of a bummer for both of us.''

MARDY IS INDEED ALIVE.

Wow.

blosson
01-29-2006, 09:13 PM
So Mardy and Andy are won't be united in Delray? I was hoping he would lift him up.
I suppose the tourney director got excited with the prospect of local boy Andy playing there and could not hold his horses. Now he face the prospect Andy won't play there for another while. Oh well.

warmy
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
My god, where did all this annoying playground drama come from? :retard:

partygirl
01-29-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-01-29/c.php full article

Roddick Weekend Flake-Out in Delray Beach Raises Questions
By Richard Vach, Tennis-X.com Senior Writer

But instead the American gave a glimpse into his fragile psyche this past weekend by flying to Florida from his home in Austin to play the weekend qualifying at ATP event in Delray Beach, then at the last minute changing his mind.

So was it the windy conditions, or the fear of losing in the qualifying, or the seemingly innocuous event of alerting the media that had Roddick and Goldfine refusing to play nice in Delray? It is the opinion of many that Roddick has "played afraid" in his last two slam losses.

Roddick's flake-out in Delray is a transparent grab for some of what he is now losing in his home country, something he has already lost internationally -- respect. Instead of a great opportunity to grab some headlines for tennis in the U.S. and test his mental state against some hungry yet sub-level competition, Andy makes another early tournament exit, this time before he even hit a ball.:lol:

Another strange chapter in Roddick's downward spiral, and a lose-lose situation for everyone.

if you ask me they all sound like big crybaby bitches- everyone involved.
*& stop whimping out andy...(whatever the reasons :rolleyes: ) damn it.

tangerine_dream
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Boy, people sure are reading a lot into this little thing. :lol: I guess the hyperreaction to anything Roddick does can be expected though.

Check out my post to euroka in that thread, btw. She actually felt the need to sign up for tennis-x just so that she could talk about Roddick (again). I love ripping twits like her a new one. :cool:

heya
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Dean and Andy can't take responsibility far in advance of small AMERICAN EVENTS??!!!!

Why worry? Andy + friends, go watch the MIAMI HEAT game again instead of working.

They've dug a hole for themselves.

I'm shocked that these paranoid, delusional, trippin' lads can't take away Sarge's chance to play.... Sure. :rolleyes:

Sarge humiliated Andy when he worked hard to steal a win from Andy, the overexcited, negligent 12-year-old brat who couldn't fathom why he lost. Bud Collins pressured him to dump Tariq. Andy quickly hired Brad after listening to his parents, PMc + Carillo. :spit:

heya
01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Roddick's flake-out in Delray is a transparent grab for some of what he is now losing in his home country, something he has already lost internationally -- respect. Instead of a great opportunity to grab some headlines for tennis in the U.S. and test his mental state against some hungry yet sub-level competition, Andy makes another early tournament exit, this time before he even hit a ball.

Another strange chapter in Roddick's downward spiral, and a lose-lose situation for everyone.

DID THIS WRITER JUST FIND OUT?! Do you notice how quiet Andy's relatives are...compared to 2 years ago?

heya
01-29-2006, 11:40 PM
I read on tennis 4you .com forum that euroka predicted Andy would win the AO. That's why she's disappointed and pessimistic.

Fee
01-30-2006, 02:31 AM
I refuse to read the Tennis-x forums anymore, the people there are just... well, I don't even know how to describe it. And their writer has such an obvious dislike for Andy and a preference for seeing the dark, allegedly controversial side of any issue that they would off course tilt toward the 'spoiled brat' mode. What a waste.

Andy was betrayed by the Tournament Director, pure and simple. I wouldn't blame him if he never set foot in Delray Beach for the rest of his life.

tangerine_dream
01-30-2006, 02:49 AM
I refuse to read the Tennis-x forums anymore, the people there are just... well, I don't even know how to describe it. And their writer has such an obvious dislike for Andy and a preference for seeing the dark, allegedly controversial side of any issue that they would off course tilt toward the 'spoiled brat' mode. What a waste.

Andy was betrayed by the Tournament Director, pure and simple. I wouldn't blame him if he never set foot in Delray Beach for the rest of his life.
I agree with your comments about tennis-x. They'll never cut Andy some slack, for whatever reason.

But what upsets me more is the fact that some fans here were quick to believe the worst about Andy. The fact that the article was written by one Harvey Fialkov tipped me off (as soon as he joined the Sun-Sentinel staff he was quick to prove that he's not a Roddick fan or even an impartial observer).

The TD screwed up big time by opening his fat mouth in the first place and promising something that was never committed to. Good luck to him in trying to get Andy to ever play that tourney again.

I don't believe that Andy would try to pressure the director into taking a WC away from a player to give to him. That is inconsistent with his character. Sure, Andy can be can pissy, prickly, moody, and even an asshole sometimes but he's certainly not a thief and he knows damn well that if he ever DID try a stunt like that then it would blow up back in his face tenfold.

Fee
01-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Exactly Tangy. You know, I think back over the personal encounters I've had with Andy over the years, the things I've seen, the things I've heard from fans and non-fans alike, the court behavior, etc etc etc. NOTHING in any of that experience leads me to believe that Andy would try to pressure a TD into switching a wildcard, nor would he ask one of his friends to give up his. Andy knows the rules of tournament entry, he knows that if you make a last minute switch to your schedule there are only so many options. Because of his history at Delray Beach, he had reason to believe they would honor his request for confidentiality. They did not and their premature verbal ejaculation (really, the only thing I can compare it too) has damaged Andy, when all he was doing was looking for some matches to play. I am seriously beginning to doubt he said any of the stuff printed in that article yesterday. I can believe that he had a bad practice and got mouthy about it, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT believe that Andy would ever use his Davis Cup membership as some type of gauntlet to slap someone with. THAT does not sound like him at all.

tangerine_dream
01-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Exactly Tangy. You know, I think back over the personal encounters I've had with Andy over the years, the things I've seen, the things I've heard from fans and non-fans alike, the court behavior, etc etc etc. NOTHING in any of that experience leads me to believe that Andy would try to pressure a TD into switching a wildcard, nor would he ask one of his friends to give up his. Andy knows the rules of tournament entry, he knows that if you make a last minute switch to your schedule there are only so many options. Because of his history at Delray Beach, he had reason to believe they would honor his request for confidentiality. They did not and their premature verbal ejaculation (really, the only thing I can compare it too) has damaged Andy, when all he was doing was looking for some matches to play. I am seriously beginning to doubt he said any of the stuff printed in that article yesterday. I can believe that he had a bad practice and got mouthy about it, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT believe that Andy would ever use his Davis Cup membership as some type of gauntlet to slap someone with. THAT does not sound like him at all.

:worship: :worship: :worship: And "premature verbal ejaculation" is an absolutely brilliant analogy. Why aren't you writing about tennis for newspapers, etc. instead of this Harvey doofus?

Speaking of Mr. Harvey let me tell you something: he is as abusive and nasty in his e-mails as he sounds in his articles. I was taken aback by such an unprofessional manner.

I had e-mailed him immediately after that first article appeared and called him out on the WC insinuation saying exactly what I said here: no way would Roddick demand that somebody give up a WC so that he could get in. Fialkov claimed it was true and that he got it directly from Dean. Yeah, right. So then why didn't he directly quote Dean?

Lo and behold, the next day Mr Fialkov suddenly tones down the accusations and ends up printing a deflated mea culpa-type article that doesn't sound too much like the first nasty article (the one he claimed was 100% accurate). I e-mailed him again and told him that he should get his facts straight the first time around so that he wouldn't have to do a follow-up article that puts his tail between the proverbial legs. Boy, was he mad at me after that.

What a prick. Top of the tennis shitlist.

Fee
01-30-2006, 03:33 AM
Sounds like an ass, and now I know to never take his articles seriously anymore. Feel free to forward your email exchange to his editors.

I'm not a good writer, I don't know enough about the technical aspects of tennis, and I care too much about certain players to be objective (to answer your question :) ).

Deboogle!.
01-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Tangy, he actually replied to you rudely?????? Wow.

But, no one here ever even entertained the idea that he would ask to give up his WC. I don't think that was ever suggested by anyone in this thread at all, because if we thought that's what Andy's personality was, we probably wouldn't be fans.

But his comments during that practice, for whatever reason, were said, and he said them, and they still made him look like a spoiled brat with an entitlement complex. Perhaps he was slighted by the tourney, that's what it looks like, perhaps he was deceived and misled and betrayed. And he had every right to be upset about all of that, no question at all. But he still sounded obnoxious with what he said, regardless. Perhaps they were taken out of context or something. That we'll never know, but unfortunately we can only take them as they were published and as they were published, they made andy look pretty shitty regardless of whether he had a reason to be upset or not.

Noelle
01-30-2006, 04:49 AM
What if those comments he was quoted in that interview to have said were taken from an earlier interview which had nothing to do with Delray Beach? I seem to remember that he said something about the "playing more Davis Cup" after the US Open first round exit and the bad press that followed it.

acoffeygirl
01-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Tennis-X is pissing me off!

Deboogle!.
01-30-2006, 05:25 AM
What if those comments he was quoted in that interview to have said were taken from an earlier interview which had nothing to do with Delray Beach? I seem to remember that he said something about the "playing more Davis Cup" after the US Open first round exit and the bad press that followed it.oh no, they were said that day at practice. That's been corroborated by more than one paper. And he was pretty clear that Andy did not say that stuff in a formal interview but in the course of his practice when he was annoyed.

Fee
01-30-2006, 05:38 AM
No, I don't believe they were corroborated by another paper, I believe they were 'repeated' by other papers, and that is a HUUUUGE difference. I would like to get my hands on individuals who actually heard Andy say any of that stuff, instead of just one writer whose story has been repeated.

acoffeygirl
01-30-2006, 05:45 AM
Where is Danielle's new bff....maybe he could give some insider info? :shrug:

superpinkone37
01-30-2006, 05:48 AM
He didn't say anything about those things Andy supposedly said.

All he said was that Andy was frustrated with the wind and how Vince was playing really well.

But I don't think he knew much about the tourney 'betraying' him or anything or even about the rules regarding direct entry and stuff.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Well I'm sure the BFF is tactful enough to not propagate stuff like that ;). the Palm Beach Post always covers Delray so I would be surprised if they didn't have someone there, their article mentioned many of the same quotes, so I don't think they just ripped it from the Sun-Sentinel and they didn't use words such as "allegedly" or "reportedly," which would suggest they weren't there.

If the Florida papers all just ripped it from the Sun-Sentinel and didn't have anyone there and Andy didnt say it, I hope Andy sues them all for defamation :) There would've been enough witnesses that the case would be a slam dunk:D And if the PBP ripped it off from the Sun-Sentinel, I hope they sue for infringement :D :p

Aside from the fact that the reporter doesn't seem to like Andy that much, i don't see any reason to believe that he DIDN'T say it. I mean, the NY Times makes stuff up sometimes, but I don't see why some little tennis writer would just create all those quotes. Maybe he took them out of context a bit to make a good story but I'd say it's pretty likely Andy said that stuff. Maybe he had a reason that we're not privy to or whatever. I'll assume that more happened there than we know about and it's not much our business anyway, but I bet at the end of the day Andy did say that stuff in some respect or another :shrug:

Noelle
01-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Whatever. It's all a lot of hot air about nothing, anyway. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Well I don't think it's *nothing*

For the Sun-Sentinel guy to backtrack like that most likely means the tourney really screwed up. I think it's kind of a big deal that a tourney like that, that gave andy WCs to start out, that he played until it moved in the schedule to a bad time, etc, did something so bad that his coach would be talking to the press about him being betrayed/deceived/etc.

Something about it smells really rotten, that's all I know :o

I imagine he'll be asked about it at some point - DC or San Jose or something, so maybe we'll at least get to hear HIS side of the story at some point. May not be the truth but it'd be what he has to say about it at least.

acoffeygirl
01-30-2006, 06:05 AM
We can ask him about it during our "intervention"! ;)

warmy
01-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Can we also depants him at our "intervention?"

I think we'd get a more entertaining response.

Winston's Human
01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: And "premature verbal ejaculation" is an absolutely brilliant analogy. Why aren't you writing about tennis for newspapers, etc. instead of this Harvey doofus?

Speaking of Mr. Harvey let me tell you something: he is as abusive and nasty in his e-mails as he sounds in his articles. I was taken aback by such an unprofessional manner.

I had e-mailed him immediately after that first article appeared and called him out on the WC insinuation saying exactly what I said here: no way would Roddick demand that somebody give up a WC so that he could get in. Fialkov claimed it was true and that he got it directly from Dean. Yeah, right. So then why didn't he directly quote Dean?

Lo and behold, the next day Mr Fialkov suddenly tones down the accusations and ends up printing a deflated mea culpa-type article that doesn't sound too much like the first nasty article (the one he claimed was 100% accurate). I e-mailed him again and told him that he should get his facts straight the first time around so that he wouldn't have to do a follow-up article that puts his tail between the proverbial legs. Boy, was he mad at me after that.

What a prick. Top of the tennis shitlist.

It does not surprise me that he was an arrogant jerk.

It has been my experience that journalist are more interested in creating a story than reporting the news. Unfortunately, their arrogance is usually compounded with ignorance.

I cannot tell you how many times I have explained something to a reporter only to have it wrong in the article or omitted because it does not fit the article's viewpoint.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
It has been my experience that journalist are more interested in creating a story than reporting the news. Unfortunately, their arrogance is usually compounded with ignorance.

I cannot tell you how many times I have explained something to a reporter only to have it wrong in the article or omitted because it does not fit the article's viewpoint. Yep, basically. That's why I don't read newspapers or watch the news for important news. It's kinda scary that people will believe whatever they read/see/hear as if it were the gospel :unsure:.

That's why I said the guy probably took what Andy said out of context, and the fact that the same guy almost completely changed his tune the next day probably means the tourney screwed up bigtime lol

partygirl
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
But what upsets me more is the fact that some fans here were quick to believe the worst about Andy. The fact that the article was written by one Harvey Fialkov tipped me off (as soon as he joined the Sun-Sentinel staff he was quick to prove that he's not a Roddick fan or even an impartial observer).
for me its not so much the belief in the journalist, or lack of faith in the roddick...

i more so agreed with the tone of spiraling out of control or downward, or something to that affect.
tennis x definetly displays a lot of andytude...and not in a good way.

drama.

Golfnduck
01-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Tennis-X writes alot of crap, I think they just want to see Andy fail. I've found that alot of U.S. media has bailed on Andy a long time ago.

Fumus
01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
wow...that is sooo messed up.

Andy your a tard.

Winston's Human
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Yep, basically. That's why I don't read newspapers or watch the news for important news. It's kinda scary that people will believe whatever they read/see/hear as if it were the gospel :unsure:.

That's why I said the guy probably took what Andy said out of context, and the fact that the same guy almost completely changed his tune the next day probably means the tourney screwed up bigtime lol

Wait until you get out into practice and have to explain one of your cases to a reporter.

heya
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
You're insulting great mentally challenged people out there.

Andy's true passion is to get it on with a big breasted young girl at a hotel.
Then, he runs to the Andy auction to sell himself to the highest bidder.
*THE PROUD HERO OF THE RODDICK CLAN :hearts:

Fee
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Yep, basically. That's why I don't read newspapers or watch the news for important news. It's kinda scary that people will believe whatever they read/see/hear as if it were the gospel :unsure:.

Where do you get your news from?

warmy
01-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Where do you get your news from?

Deb is a good little law student and gets all her news from her professors and their approved blogs. :p

Deboogle!.
01-31-2006, 02:01 AM
nah I don't read blogs (just write about 'em ;)) I read the barebones wire stories, which are still biased pretty badly, but not like newspapers!! Newspapers are about the worst place for news IMO. Editorials, yes, but not if you just want to know what's going on in the world.

Honestly, I don't have time to get in detail news anyway, so I browse the headlines and just try to know what's going on in the world. I don't read full stories much so I don't let my mind get filled. I just try to get the barebones facts. It's nearly impossible to get unbiased stuff but I try to do the best I can, considering I have no time :p

MisterQ
01-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Deb doesn't get the news, she makes the news! :cool: :yippee:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2006, 02:41 AM
:spit: :haha: :rolls:

:sobbing:

I really try not to ;)

Deboogle!.
02-01-2006, 04:31 AM
this is from the Palm Beach Post (from the end of another article), so it seems the WC wasn't really an issue if Sarge didn't even really know what was going on. You have to think the tourney is just KICKING itself though. lol.
-------------------------
Too late now: There was no room for Roddick in the main draw here because all the wild-card spots had been awarded before the top-ranked American expressed an interest in playing. Tuesday night, after losing his first-round match to Xavier Malisse, one of Delray's wild cards said he might have considered withdrawing himself if it meant getting Roddick in.

"It's crazy," said Sargis Sargsian, who was playing his first match on tour since last summer. "I kind of felt bad having it. It's a strange situation. On Friday, I heard that Andy would play in the qualifying tournament. If somebody had approached me (about withdrawing), I would have given it consideration, but at the same time I've been working so hard and I was excited about playing."

Noelle
02-01-2006, 04:37 AM
:scared: :bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-01-2006, 04:44 AM
For those who didn't read it, here are the parts from PMac's Davis Cup press conference that address the Delray Stuff
------------------------------------
Q. Maybe you could respond to what I would classify as a Super Bowl rumor. This story deals with tennis. The story is that after his defeat in Melbourne, Andy was anxious to get in another tournament, and he contacted the directors of the event in Delray Beach, asked them if they might have a wildcard. They didn't, at which point he volunteered to play in the qualifying with a proviso that he wouldn't show up unless they did not seek advance publicity. They sought the advance publicity and he didn't show up. Is that story accurate?

PATRICK McENROE: As far as I know, and I did speak to Andy when he was getting ready to go to Delray Beach, and his attitude at that point was, "I'm going to go and play the qualifying." I spoke to him probably two days before he was getting ready to go. I haven't spoken to him since. But based on what I read and heard, I don't think Andy was particularly pleased that it came out in advance. I also think his understanding initially was that he was going to have to play just one match per day, meaning two matches total. I guess because so many players -- they don't know how many players are going to show up for qualifying until the day before, and I guess it turned out that enough players were showing up that he would have to play two matches in one day. Andy Roddick is one of the fittest players in tennis, but I don't think he wanted to put himself through playing two matches in one day. Maybe not the smartest thing for him to do in the long run. So I think when he heard that, combined with the fact that they released this information maybe a little earlier than he had hoped, I think that was a determining factor.

Q. The fact he was willing to go to Florida and do that, do you think that speaks well for his eagerness to play?

PATRICK McENROE: Oh, definitely. He takes Davis Cup very seriously, thankfully for all of us Davis Cup tennis fans. There's one of our top guys who is always committed and always played. I think sometimes people take that for granted. I know I don't. I think it was a good sign. Look, he didn't play that much in the end of last year. He had the injury to his back. He trained his butt off. He went to Australia, played in the warm-up event, which is a couple of practice matches, then played the Australian Open and lost earlier than expected. He got home. He was home a full week before he expected to be. He thought, "Well, I might go, and I'm ready to play. I've done all my training, I've done the off-court work, now I need to play." I think that's why he wanted to do it. I think Davis Cup is part of that to get himself ready. It's too bad it didn't happen. At the same time it's certainly not the end of the world

Q. About the rule why Andy couldn't play in Delray, that you had to either get one of threes wildcards or apply six weeks in advance, should there be some sort of exemption for top 10 players? It seems like it would have been a win-win for Andy and for the tournament if he had played here.

PATRICK McENROE: You know, I have trouble saying that. Maybe there's some way to do that if I guess a couple people pulled out, right, at the last minute?

Q. James Blake pulled out, for one.

PATRICK McENROE: It's sort of tricky because it does hurt the guys that are waiting to get in. That sort of goes against what the ATP has been about for many years. I'm a little torn by that. At the same time I would have loved to have seen Andy been able to play. It seems like something could have been worked out. The tournament director has the prerogative and has the wildcards at his disposal. It was a tough situation. I mean, I think it's worth looking into. I'm not going to go out and say I think they should change it because, quite honestly, I haven't given it that much thought.

Q. Not that common of a situation.

PATRICK McENROE: It doesn't happen that often, so I hadn't really thought about it. I guess if there's a situation where a couple of players pull out, maybe that's not a bad idea to think about. But I'm not going to go out there and say it's a huge problem. It just doesn't happen that much.

Fee
02-01-2006, 05:12 AM
well, that won't be quoted by Tennis-x now will it?

Noelle
02-01-2006, 05:17 AM
Tennis-X has built in filters that automatically drop pro-Andy news items. :D

whosthis77
02-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Tennis-X has built in filters that automatically drop pro-Andy news items. :D

really? wow ... :confused:
tennis-x is scary.

Noelle
02-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm kidding. :p But they're the most biased tennis news source I've ever seen.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
They call themselves "news" but they're really more like a big editorial. Why do you guys even go there :lol:

Noelle
02-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't anymore :lol:

Fee
02-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I read their daily update because its like someone else has taken the wire reports and summarized the headlines for me, then sprinkled a little bit of the National Enquirer on top of it. It's fun, really.

acoffeygirl
02-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I read their daily update because its like someone else has taken the wire reports and summarized the headlines for me, then sprinkled a little bit of the National Enquirer on top of it. It's fun, really.
I actually do get a good laugh out of it too...that is why I tend to pop in a see what they have to say.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2006, 05:24 AM
some pics from the palm beach post from andy's infamous practice session