Who do you predict to win the Cup? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who do you predict to win the Cup?

Billabong
11-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Who do you think is the favorite to win?

rogicomel
11-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Anyone out of 8 competing players but I'm hoping for Rogi to win his first title on American soil. He almost did it in last year's Nasdaq100 Open, now I hope the FedEx will deliver in Houston!

Deboogle!.
11-05-2003, 02:16 AM
It's so hard to guess... so many of them were sick/exhausted/injured in the past couple of weeks that we have no clue of knowing who will be at (or as close as possible to) 100% and I think that'll make a big difference.

esther
11-05-2003, 07:38 AM
CMON FERRERO you can win this!!!!

J. Corwin
11-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Honestly I have no inkling. Any one of them can very well win it, although I don't imagine Schuettler going all the way.

Experimentee
11-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Outdoor hardcourt in Houston would be of the most advantage to Roddick and Agassi, but Roddick doesnt seem to be playing as well as he did 2 months ago and you never know with Agassi since hes coming off a long layoff and hasnt done well at the Masters Cup the last couple of years.
Federer had a back injury in Paris, I'm not sure about the state of that, and Nalbandian is also struggling with injury.
Probably the favourite would be Ferrero, but I hope Agassi wins, and if hes not suffering too much from lack of match play i think hes a good chance.

TennisLurker
11-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Is it a slow hard court like Key Biscaine or a fast hard court like the Us Open?

Deboogle!.
11-05-2003, 03:25 PM
it's the same court as the US Open I'm pretty sure.

Sjengster
11-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Miami is a slow hardcourt? Weird, I always thought it was quite fast (mind you, anything seems fast right after Indian Wells, they might as well just replace that with clay and it would play at the same speed). Certainly it would make sense for Federer's best US hardcourt tournament to be quite a quick surface - he's made at least the QF there three years in a row, which is more than he's managed at IW, Cincy or the Open.

TennisLurker
11-05-2003, 07:27 PM
As far as I know The Lipton and Indian Wells are slow hard courts, I remember reading in a thread about how Agassi has a winning record over Pete in slow Harcourts like Australia, Key Biscaine or Miami, and how he has a losing record against Pete in fast hard courts like Toronto/Montreal, Cinci and the Us open.
I suppose it must be true because if you pay attention clay courters have always been quite succesfull there, Muster!!!, Corretja, Rios have won there, this year Moya and Guga made the finals of Indian Wells and The Lipton.

And big serves look easier to return in these two tournaments.

Sjengster
11-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Heck, I certainly know all about IW - the commentators pointed out this year that with the way the surface plays, it's going to be almost impossible to break Hewitt's dominance because it gives him enough pace for his shots while still remaining slow enough for him to comfortably track down everyone else's. Of course, that was before they knew of the slump that was to come this year...

J. Corwin
11-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Actually, I believe IW plays out a little fast than Miami, mainly because of the dry air at IW. (well, for ball speed in the air that is).

Scotso
11-06-2003, 03:41 AM
No matter how much they helped him, I don't think Roddick will win it.

Vamos Juan Carlos!

Doris Loeffel
11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
And yes I'm still a believer ;)

jtipson
11-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Me too, Doris, I'm not expecting something, but I believe *anything* could happen. (Just make sure the switch is taped to *on*, Roger!)

RogiFan88
11-06-2003, 02:48 PM
There are only 2 players I want to win the TMC this year, and you know who is one of them!! So if either wins, I'll be happy!

GO, our guys, go!! :D

WyverN
11-06-2003, 02:49 PM
I give Federer every chance of winning Houston, but he would need a miracle to become #1

jtipson
11-06-2003, 02:55 PM
WyverN, if Federer *did* win in Houston, I don't think it would be too long before he were number one. But it's a tough task...

Yashirobai
11-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I don't think Federer will win in Houston... but his chances of finishing as #1 are about... mmm... 2% or less?

jtipson
11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Just to clarify what I meant: if Roger *did* win Houston (and I don't expect him to either), then I would give him a good chance of reaching number 1 in the first few months of 2004. I agree it's very unlikely he'd get it now, because it means JC and Andy have to do so badly at Houston.

Personally I think Andy has the best chance to end this year at the top, but I do wonder how long he will stay there...

WyverN
11-06-2003, 11:27 PM
yes if Federer wins houston expect to see him as #1 very soon next year

rogicomel
11-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Forget about the year ending no. 1, it's very much unlikely for Rogi but yes, winning the TMC will help him reach the top spot early next year. I am another firm believer -- just see my sig!

MisterQ
11-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Roger didn't do quite as well as Andy or JC in Australia this year, (Roger R16, Ferrero QF, Roddick SF), so he certainly has potential to make some gains on them in that tournament in 2004, and maybe take No. 1 in the process).

yanchr
11-07-2003, 04:08 AM
I don't see who's the favorite, but I think definityly not Roddick. Even if he goes through RR with ease, I bet he'll lose to anyone coming out from the Blue.

And it's really a tough job for Rogi to win Houston! I don't quite expect that, though I hope he'll make it. But if he can go to semi, I believe he has a big chance there. Just wish my guy best luck.

Maria Giulia
11-07-2003, 01:16 PM
I hope Juan Carlos will win. I do not want Roddick to win!!! (no offence to the fans anyways). :) ;)

*Ljubica*
11-07-2003, 01:44 PM
My heart says David but my head says not with his injuries etc., so I just hope for ANY one of the other 7 as long as it's not Roddick! It would be nice to see either Juan-Carlos or Roger end the year as Number 1 instead of him, - I think they would both be much more gracious and deserving year end champions.

faboozadoo15
11-10-2003, 01:43 AM
well roger *can* win certainly this tournament... he will have to play very very well, however. ending the year as #1 is probably not going to happen (even thoigh i think winning a slam and this evert along with all his others make him the best player). he needs andy roddick to win only one round robin match (with his draw, thats not gonna happen) and JCF to only win 2 of the RR and then win nothing after that. (or is it roddick wins 0 and jcf wins 1-- im having second doubts). so he'll just have to be happy with what he can do and not even think abt the rankings.

Chloe le Bopper
11-10-2003, 05:25 AM
even thoigh i think winning a slam and this evert along with all his others make him the best player

If Federer wins here, I'd still say that JCF had the better year. Better slam results, and more TMS. But he has won less titles either way, which is worth noting.

Lynne
11-10-2003, 07:04 AM
I think all the pressure's on Roddick, Ferrero and Federer. I hope Ferrero will be able to come through. But who knows, there might be surprises. Good Luck to Juan Carlos!

Jorge
11-10-2003, 08:41 AM
I hope that Roger or Carles could win the cup, but I'm afraid the winner will be Roddick or JCF :awww: :shout:

Deboogle!.
11-10-2003, 04:29 PM
wow... that's pretty hardcore! LOL!

claudine140
11-11-2003, 05:05 PM
when moya is one hundred procent he has many chances to win this tournement. He has always good results in this tournement

JeLuliA88
11-12-2003, 12:07 AM
I hope Ferrero wins, but i think either federer or roddick will win.

tomtom
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
it's rainer! he is gonna to surprise all of you! :D :kiss:

Ma. Estefania
11-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, I don't know yet, but Roger is looking dangerously very fit and playing very good so far.

yanchr
11-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Several days ago, I just doubted if Roger could go to semi. Now, I believe he can win it all.

MisterQ
11-13-2003, 03:02 AM
I would sell my left nipple if Andre :worship: Agassi could win this. ;)

Cool! I'll sell my right one!
:cool:

emeraldbanas
11-13-2003, 06:37 AM
its gonna be federer for me...he has beaten nalbandian for the first time and it sraight sets and though he had a tougher time with agassi, he is playing his best tennis since wimbledon

rogicomel
11-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Agree with you, emeraldbanas. Rogi played his best tennis since Wimbledon. Now, keep it up Rogi! Show no mercy to all your next opponents!

Doris Loeffel
11-13-2003, 10:12 AM
And yes I am even a bigger believer now ;)

Aurora
11-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Could it really be happening any moment, the retirement of AA? Has he been talking about the future?

Deboogle!.
11-13-2003, 04:28 PM
actually he has.

WyverN
11-14-2003, 08:38 AM
There is no way Andre will retire after his results this week.
Unlike Pete Andre still isn't completely satisfied with his career and will not retire until he is 100% sure he doesn't have another major in him.

I just hope he doesn't keep going until he falls out of the top 10.

Deboogle!.
11-14-2003, 09:52 PM
I agree, tangerine.

rogicomel
11-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Good luck Rogi! Kick Duck's ass like you did to the big Argentine!

federerfan7465
11-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Im looking forward to a Federer-Agassi FInal!!!! (Crosses Fingers)Now that should be some amazing tennis!!

MisterQ
11-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Im looking forward to a Federer-Agassi FInal!!!! (Crosses Fingers)Now that should be some amazing tennis!!

Me too! But shhhhh, don't jinx Andre against Schuettler! Rainer can be a tough player, despite their Australian Open final, lol!

GO ANDRE!

MisterQ
11-15-2003, 03:09 PM
LOL. :lol:

BTW, I still want Andre to win but I have a feeling it's going to be the Fed. He is the only player of all of them who has been on his game 100% this week. He's beaten two players he's never beaten before. He hasn't lost a game. He's in the zone. Everybody else is distracted, tired, sloppy, and wasting energy throwing their rackets around and yelling at the chair umpires. Fed has been the calm in the middle of the storm brewing around him.

My prediction: This cup is going to be his.

Yeah, the Fed is awesome, he's playing great tennis this week. He's so insanely talented! He has to be the favorite based on the round robin matches. But I believe Andre can do this, and most importantly, I think ANDRE believes it. So GO ANDRE, one match at a time, you can do it!