Roddick will do what Safin did in 2000, and win both the Canadian and U.S. Opens! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick will do what Safin did in 2000, and win both the Canadian and U.S. Opens!

the cat
08-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty good with predictions! I think this will happen. And Andy Roddick is coming along like Marat Safin did in 2000. The similarities are eerie! :eek: Safin won his first Masters Series tournament in Toronto, and Roddick is expected to win his first Masters Series today, in Toronto! :D

You heard it hear first. Andy Roddick will win the Canadian Open today and the U.S. Open in September! :bounce:

And by winning the U.S. Open, Roddick will wash away the dissapointments of the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon. Those tournaments and dissapointments will be forgotten come September 8, 2002! :)

Goonergal
08-04-2002, 06:22 PM
You got this one very wrong Cat! :p Canas 6-4,7-5!!!!

SanTaureau Fan
08-04-2002, 06:38 PM
ANDY RODDICK US OPEN 2002 CHAMPION !!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:D

Umpire
08-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Marat had a win over Sampras on his way to the victory in Toronto. Andy, on the other hand, had not beaten a top 10 player on his way to the final.

safin_fan
08-04-2002, 06:46 PM
How can he do what Safin did? When he can't beat Haas,Hewitt,Safin,Agassi, or even Jan-Michael!

TheBoiledEgg
08-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Roddick winning a SLAM not until 2005 or never

i hope never

Goonergal
08-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Never's fine! :D

the cat
08-04-2002, 07:05 PM
OMG! Nobody responded to this thread for one hour and one minute! :eek: Then I get 6 replies in 27 minutes! People are coming out of the woodwork to post here!

I gambled and I lost! :mad:

I'm tempted to delete this thread. But I won't. I'd never hear the end of it!

Being fair and the good sport that I am, I readily acknowledge the great win by Canas. Well done!

2005 Eggy? LOL! Try 2003 or 2004. Wait a second! Try 2002, if you know what I mean!

And congrats to Andy for making the ATP top ten for the first time. A year from now, Roddick will be in the top five! :bounce: Guaranteed! :)

TheBoiledEgg
08-04-2002, 07:06 PM
top 5 but he will be a Henman type top 5

safin_fan
08-04-2002, 07:16 PM
A Henman type top 5

LOL!!!!!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
08-04-2002, 07:17 PM
i.e. winning no Masters or no SLAMs :D :bounce:

tennischick
08-04-2002, 07:25 PM
no masters, no slams, no nothing. that's my prediction for Pandy-monium...:eek:

Goonergal
08-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Henman Type!!!!! ROTFLMAO! :p Good One Eggy!

Pandy-Monium is just like like Henmania no style or substance and no end result.

the cat
08-04-2002, 07:46 PM
No end result? No big results yet. But Roddick is only a teenager, and he leads the ATP tour in match wins this year. He's doing fine. He's right on schedule! When he adds a little here and a little there, he'll be winning big.

TennisHack
08-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Cat, I support you :) I think Andy will post some big wins in the future.

I don't quite understand the glee some of you get in putting Roddick down. I understand some of it's all in good fun, because a lot of players are made fun of here, but the constant, persistant posting of hate-filled putdowns is a little more enthusiastic when it comes to Andy. Is there a particular reason why?

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2002, 08:36 PM
I don't think Andy will win the US Open, but I will be surprised if he doens't make the quarters before losing to a Hewitt or Haas.

This was Canas tournament, so there was no shame in Roddick losing to him - I mean the question is, who DIDN'T lost to Canas this week :eek:

However I dont like how close Roddick is to passing Ferrero in the rankings ;) I just dont' know how I will deal :o

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Andy is just kind of my scapegoat - he is just so easy to make fun of.

And there is nothing wrong with that! I'm like that in realy life ;) Always the butt of my freinds jokes and stuff, so I don't really think its a big deal - since I get it all the time lol

But if I actually didnt' like him I wouldn't have gone to every live match of his possible, would I have?

TennisHack
08-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca

However I dont like how close Roddick is to passing Ferrero in the rankings ;) I just dont' know how I will deal :o

Hmm, I'm not too fond of this prospect either. Hopefully Juan Carlos will have a streak of good luck this summer . . . he has to, LOL.

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Well on the bright side I dont think his hard court season could go any worse than last season.

He only has to win about 4 matches to catch up to last season ;)

TennisHack
08-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Well on the bright side I dont think his hard court season could go any worse than last season.

He only has to win about 4 matches to catch up to last season ;)

LMAO!! Poor Juan Carlos :D

But he needs to do something if he wants to stay in the Top 10. Falling out could have its priviledges, though . . . :angel:

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2002, 08:56 PM
tsk tsk he won't fall out unless the guys behind him win the us open ;)

he defends nothing except the masters cup semi at the end of the year - which he may or may not get to defend.

But he can play on hard courts, he just goes for too much and is too inconsistent.... I dont know how he doens't win more on hard though, it doesn't make sense.

TennisHack
08-04-2002, 09:14 PM
tsk tsk he won't fall out unless the guys behind him win the us open ;)

Anything's possible at this stage in the game. :eek:

But he can play on hard courts, he just goes for too much and is too inconsistent.... I dont know how he doens't win more on hard though, it doesn't make sense.

Especially since he played on hard courts predominantly until he was 14! The mind boggles.

Pea
08-04-2002, 09:18 PM
AHAHAHAAHA....AHAHAHA...........AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa.....henman type of top 5! AHAHAHAHAHA

the cat
08-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Good points TennisHack! :)

Comparing Roddick to Henman is a poor comparison. Why? Because Roddick has two weapons their Timmy doesn't. A huge serve and a huge forehand! :eek: Anyone care to disagree? I didn't think so!

And I agree with you TennisHack about Roddick. He's a very nice guy! :D Did you see Andy after the match? He was first class all the way! It's easy to be nice when you win. But when you're nice and gracious when you lose a big final, that shows me something.

By the way TennisHack. Are you related to tennischick? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Roddick can be all class when he wants to be, but I saw him not sign for one kid after beatin Nico and wasn't impressed.

Comparing Roddick to Henman is a poor comparison. Why? Because Roddick has two weapons their Timmy doesn't. A huge serve and a huge forehand! Anyone care to disagree? I didn't think so!

Henman has an all court game, decent serve - good enough to come in on. He has a good volley, and can construct points.

There, I disagreed.

Layla
08-04-2002, 11:33 PM
the cat - if Andy has such magnificent weapons of destruction, how come he hasn't been in the top 5 of both the entry system and the championship race since the beginning of the year, like Tim? Why hasn't he at least cracked the top 10? I was just going to say pretty much what Rebecca said when I noticed her response. Unlike Andy, Tim has tactics and intelligence, he can construct a point and he can volley with some style. He is so much more consistent. Tennis isn't just about big serves. And it's not like he's the best server around.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 12:00 AM
LIke what Layla said ;)

That doesn't mean that I dont think Andy won't get there however, but he isnt' there yet.

The cat you can't toot him to be great and talk him up before he is, then say I told you so later.

Cause right now you're being wrong all the time ;)

tennischick
08-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Henman has a much better overall game than Andy. i'm no fan of his either but it's no accident that he is ranked in the Top 5. he has earned it IMO, and his game has steadily improved under Stefanki. (i can't believe i'm actually praising the Chiken! :eek: )

Andy is generally all flash and little substance IMO. i admit that he looked real good against Jiri -- but only bec Jiri forgot his experience and decided to become a baseline slugger. so foolish -- he could have beaten Andy in straights if he had kept his head on.

Cat i have no idea who TennisHack is. we support different players but i like his/her style.

TennisHack i don't agree that Andy gets bashed more than others. i think you see it this way bec you're a fan. everyone gets made fun of at some point or another. what i like about this place is that even some fans of a player also join in the bashing fun. don't go thin-skinned on me. that's too wtaworld. :p :p

the cat
08-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Rebecca! You're going to say I told you so! :mad:

And I'm wrong all the time? :( Not all the time! ;)

Layla, this is Roddick's second year on tour. It's going to take him a few years to develope first rate tactics. But right now he has weapons that Henman doesn't have. That's why I think he has a big upside and Henman doesn't. I think Henman has had a fine career. He just doesn't have the weapons to win grand slam titles.

Becca, Nico had just accused Andy of faking his cramps. Can't he be human and flee for the lockeroom? He was upset, you know. :(

Layla, can't Roddick have a couple of years to make a top five ranking? I got you with that one! ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 12:51 AM
tsk tsk, Henman is having a fine carreer, not had.

He's playing his best tennis now.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 12:53 AM
the cat, no one said that Andy totally sucks and won't ever be anything (did they?).

But a lot of people are rubbed the wrong way that a player who has never even been to a slam semi or won a masters series, is hailed as the next coming - when players like Haas or Ferrero (who aren't much older that Roddick) go ignored.

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by the cat
By the way TennisHack. Are you related to tennischick? ;)

Um, no.

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
Cat i have no idea who TennisHack is. we support different players but i like his/her style.

TennisHack i don't agree that Andy gets bashed more than others. i think you see it this way bec you're a fan. everyone gets made fun of at some point or another. what i like about this place is that even some fans of a player also join in the bashing fun. don't go thin-skinned on me. that's too wtaworld. :p :p

Well thanks for the compliments, I'm nothing if not consistent :) (I'm a "her", by the way).

Perhaps I said it the wrong way to begin with. A lot of people like to put Andy down, I guess because like Rebecca said he's just an easy target. It just seems that people hate him more than anyone else I've seen, Chicken & Potato included. Is it because the overwhelming majority of his fans are stuck-up teenyboppers who don't know a damn about tennis and think he's hot? Because I could get behind that position. But Andy, as a player? "I hope he never wins major tournaments or Grand Slams"?! C'mon, that's a bit too mean spirited. :)

I never participated on WTAWorld but I've heard it's a hellhole when it comes to obsessed fans. I didn't mean to come off that way. If anything, I'm obsessed with the sport, not the players.

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 02:52 AM
But a lot of people are rubbed the wrong way that a player who has never even been to a slam semi or won a masters series, is hailed as the next coming - when players like Haas or Ferrero (who aren't much older that Roddick) go ignored.

That's what happens when sex appeal enters the question, and American media more or less refuses to show non-American players on TV if they can help it. Probably more of the latter than the former :)

American media (whom I think is most responsible for this "the next best thing" crap about all-American darling Roddick) cares very little about tennis and caters itself to very casual fans. And hell, maybe "Juan Carlos Ferrero" and "Tommy Haas" is too foreign for them. The first commentary piece I put up on my site was in response to a really snotty article about Wimbledon, and how NBC should have canceled their coverage since there were no American men left in the draw.

the cat
08-05-2002, 03:02 AM
TC, it's spelled chicken. Not chiken! ;) Don't be thin skinned! :eek: I owed you one from Novack (Novak)!

And TC, how is Andy Roddick supposed to have the all around game of Tim Henman, who's played atleast 8 years on the tour? :confused: This is Andy's second year on tour. Give him a chance. He's is right on schedule! :) Are there any other players under 20 in the top ten or top 20? Nyet!

Yes Rebecca, people have said that Andy won't win anything big. And that's so laughable! :D

Dissident
08-05-2002, 04:42 AM
Tim Henman is not fun to watch, imo. But I cant say he has no weapon. He has a good serve, he has a great all-around game like Becca said and he is great on the volley. He can serve-volley extremely well and he is taking the best out of what hes got NOW. That said, check his results for this year:

Winner
Adelaide (IS-rebound ace)
RunnerUp
Rotterdam (IS-hard indoors), Indian Wells (TMS-hard), Queen´s Club (IS-grass)
He also made the semis of Monte Carlo (TMS-redclay) and WIMBLEDON again!
That proves his consistency during the whole season, where he had great results on rebound ace, hard, clay and grass, and both indoors and outdoors. Add to that his top five ranking for most of the season and I dont need to say anyhting more.

Dissident
08-05-2002, 04:46 AM
Im not a fan of Tim, as I said before, but his season is unquestionable. For more that we can 'hate' a player, we have to be reasonable. ;)

And about Andy, I wrote in my analysis about todays match what is on my mind. The problem is not him. The problem are these comments like the one in this thread. Roddick is always winning the next Grand Slam (exception made to RG). Thats insane pressure being put over the kid. He is young and he has potential. He is handling the pressure pretty well so far, but despite this one tournament here, it would be difficult to highlight something for his whole 2002 season. So it is a little too much to bring again that he will win a TMS and a GS in a something like a month. It can happen, but cmon, its hard. :)

Fingon
08-05-2002, 05:09 AM
the cat, no one said that Andy totally sucks and won't ever be anything (did they?).

I did :p

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 07:14 AM
hehe Fingon ;) I had meant not in this thread, but here you are :o :p

That's what happens when sex appeal enters the question, and American media more or less refuses to show non-American players on TV if they can help it. Probably more of the latter than the former

It must be the last part because Ferrero and Haas just ooze sex appeal compared to Andy :o

Layla
08-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Of course cat, he can have all the time in the world to get to top 5. But when you compare him unfavorably to a player who's already made it there and then expect us not to diagree, well... :p

Praise him for what he has achieved not what he will, because the future is wide open and none of us can foretell what lies ahead. You can't just assume that Andy will develop first rate tactics. What if he doesn't have it in him? Not that it matters, because it's not all about tactics either. Every player has his own weapon(s). You can't be in the top 20 and not have one, whether it's serve, forehand, backhand, return, volley, mental attitude, fighting spirit or tactics. That's why it's difficult to compare players' weapons unless you actually put them on the court and see which one prevails.

You didn't seriously expect me not to defend my second favorite player, did you? ;)

tennischick
08-05-2002, 01:35 PM
what Layla said (minus the Sushi allusion of course). ;) i think it's unfair to compare Andy with anyone other than the new crop of balls. you can't compare him to a much more experienced Henman.

so TennisHack if you're saying that Andy attracts more negative attention than the other members of the New Balls Crew (and that would include Gambill (Mr. Bollywood), Tommy "Pretty Boy" Haas, Denthead, Guga :hearts:, Marat "Sexy Head-Case" Safin, etc etc), then i entirely agree. and the problem is not Andy so much as the hype around him and his apparent willingness to buy into it. the American media play him up so much that it has almost backfired and he now irritates many people. and his tendency to try to be so flashy, to play for the cameras, to suck up the attention -- well, that ends up making him a non-fave for me. but i still maintain that on this board, he doesn't attract any more negative attention than Sushi, the Android, Baldy, Linus, The Potato, the Chicken, or any of the other players we have made fun of.

Cat, i'm not being thin-skinned. and Cat, i really don't care if you correct my typos. in fact, Cat, thank you Cat for correcting my spelling of Chiken Chicken. and Cat, if in future Cat you were Cat to see any other typos by me, feel free Cat to corrrect them. thank you Cat.

Dissident
08-05-2002, 02:18 PM
:D lol :o

Layla
08-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Who's Linus, TC? :confused:

the cat
08-05-2002, 02:37 PM
TC! :sad: Writing cat all the time? :confused: You wrote cat 9 times in your last paragraph! That's mean! :( Please remember, I prefer the tender TC to the tough TC! :)

And I won't correct any more of your typos. Even though you corrected my typo first. I was hoping you wouldn't have such a reaction! :sad:

Back to tennis. TC, the media hype about Roddick is overrated in my opinion. That was last year. I think his agency now knows not to over expose him.

Layla, you make some fine points as usual. But please don't be upset that Roddick has a bigger upside than Henman. I think Roddick will be a much better player than Henman, with grand slam titles and Masters Series titles on his mantle. But only time will tell about that. And you make a good point about Roddick developing tactics. But I'm planning on it happening.

And I like Henman. I appreciate his style and play and that he's a gentleman and a great sport, too! :) And I would like to see Henman win a grand slam title for England! That would be sensational! :bounce:

tennischick
08-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Linus is Rusedski. named after his tendency to keep sucking on his towel. check him out in Cincy and you will see it. it's quite a disgusting habit bec they also throw these towels all over the ground. and there he stands sucking on it between points. :o :o

Dissident
08-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Oh geesh, someone is still on oral phase... :p
LOL

tennischick
08-05-2002, 03:05 PM
most definitely! :D ;) Linus is quite fixated there! :eek:

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 04:47 PM
It must be the last part because Ferrero and Haas just ooze sex appeal compared to Andy :o

LOL, I agree, but when American media refuses to show the foreign players, the casual viewer will not see and experience the best-looking players in tennis :)

TennisHack
08-05-2002, 04:51 PM
so TennisHack if you're saying that Andy attracts more negative attention than the other members of the New Balls Crew (and that would include Gambill (Mr. Bollywood), Tommy "Pretty Boy" Haas, Denthead, Guga :hearts:, Marat "Sexy Head-Case" Safin, etc etc), then i entirely agree. and the problem is not Andy so much as the hype around him and his apparent willingness to buy into it. the American media play him up so much that it has almost backfired and he now irritates many people. and his tendency to try to be so flashy, to play for the cameras, to suck up the attention -- well, that ends up making him a non-fave for me. but i still maintain that on this board, he doesn't attract any more negative attention than Sushi, the Android, Baldy, Linus, The Potato, the Chicken, or any of the other players we have made fun of.

Yes, you have my basic point. I don't think Andy is made fun of more than other players, but the putdowns are a bit more malicious.

the cat
08-05-2002, 06:11 PM
You're right TH! The putdowns of Roddick are malicious! :eek: Or, are we being too thin skinned? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm sure that if I lived in England or wherever, I would piss on the English media all the time.

But since I live in Canada, most of our tv stations are American, cause apparently we can't afford our own ;)

I'd estimate half the money made here goes to the USA :rolleyes: but that is besides the point..

However if I lived in Spain and had the privilliage or watching Spaniards all day I would never grow board :hearts:

Layla
08-05-2002, 06:33 PM
I'm with you Becca. :D I'm thinking of moving to Spain.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm going to visit Spain - I have this really lame and false stereotype that all the men there are beautiful ;)

Layla
08-05-2002, 06:50 PM
It's neither lame nor false. I spent 3 days in Barcelona and saw soooo many drop dead gorgeous guys on the streets that I immediately decided I have to move there some day. I haven't seen so many beautiful men in my entire life. I'm sure you're gonna love it. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 06:56 PM
I can hardly wait :hearts:

the cat
08-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Becca, how can you go the the U.S. Open in New York, and then to Spain? :confused: Are you one of the Rockefellers? That's some itinerary you have!

The Spanish guys are good looking? No kidding! But remember ladies, you like them because of their tennis! ;) Right?

Becca, most of your television stations are American? LOL! Sorry about that! :eek: How can we make it up to you?

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 12:48 AM
the cat - don't bomb us :o ;)

Maybe half my sations are American - and even the ones that are Canadian - the biggest cable sports network shows espn coverage a LOT of the time. (or TNT).

I did exaggerate a bit, but it is surprising.

I can't afford Spain now, I'm going in a couple years.

the cat
08-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Becca, don't bomb us? :mad: Do you have to get a dig in every post? ;) Good luck with your travels! :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 01:16 AM
THanks, I will make it there someway or another.

Likely go alone, less hassle.

tennischick
08-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by TennisHack
Yes, you have my basic point. I don't think Andy is made fun of more than other players, but the putdowns are a bit more malicious.

i'm sure it must seem this way if you're a fan. let's just agree to disagree. i will continue to make as much fun of Pandy as i will of the Potato, the Chicken, the Monkey Man aka Lawn Lizard/Android and any other player i feel like.

my skin is thick so y'all can feel free to lambast Agassi, Guga, and any of the Argentinians to your hearts content.

on second thought, it's not that my skin is thick but that my self-identity is not in any way wrapped up in any tennis player that i happen to like. so bash away folks! chances are i will join you in the funning...:eek:

TennisHack
08-06-2002, 02:37 AM
on second thought, it's not that my skin is thick but that my self-identity is not in any way wrapped up in any tennis player that i happen to like. so bash away folks! chances are i will join you in the funning...:eek:

That's pretty defensive for someone who isn't bothered by wisecracks.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 02:38 AM
What TC - you mean that your self worth doesn't go up and down based on how a tennis player is doing? :o

:o

I'm shocked and appalled :o

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 02:39 AM
I dont know if anyone recalls, but I made the original Juan Carlos bashing thread ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 02:40 AM
Wait I didnt make it, but i posted in it more than anyone else!

my bad :o

tennischick
08-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TennisHack
That's pretty defensive for someone who isn't bothered by wisecracks.

do i come across as defensive? that's unfortunate bec i really don't feel that way. all i was trying to say is that i really don't care if people make wisecracks about my faves. chances are, like Rebecca, i will join in the fun. i know bec i have!

thanks Rebecca for getting it...;) bec you posted so much in the Ferrero bashing thread i too can't remember if you started it or not! :eek:

Layla
08-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Hey, all my top 5 players are being bashed left and right except Corretja! :eek: How come he doesn't have a cute name? I feel like he's left out or something. :sad: Nobody ever makes fun of him. :confused:

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Alex Corretja needs a cute name?

No no, no need to encourage the masses to make fun of Alex :(

Thankfully no one has made one for David yet :angel:

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2002, 07:54 PM
Alex "the flex" ???

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2002, 07:54 PM
or Alex the cat

just like Felix is one too ;)

dbc
08-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Think Roddick gets all the bashing because he started out as a very promising youngster who had the sense of humour to make fun of his own mistakes.
Think the cramps at the FO were genuine but made him realise they could be useful on other occasions; also he now argues & queries thing too much which doesn't endear him to everyone.
When he matures a bit & maybe broadens out his game from basicaly a great serve, then maybe the fans will come flocking back.
I live in Europe so have only heard about what US TV stations show & what the media say from various tennis sites. But with the ATP based in California they ought to do their best to see that TV stations show a cross section of players so that the American public can really see who is out there.
It is pretty much the same in the UK, much of the general public is pretty ignorant where world tennis is concerned & they have been fed by the media that Tim is almost the next Sampras (similar to Roddick in the US) & that he is going to win Wimbledon. Maybe he can but also it could be that the pressure from the media has an adverse effect.
Will that happen with Roddick at the US Open? those who are old enough will remember that it was expected that Agassi would win the Open the 1st time he met a younger Pete in the final - who won? - Pete! Andre had to wait a few more years before he managed it.

Allie
08-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by dbc
I live in Europe so have only heard about what US TV stations show & what the media say from various tennis sites. But with the ATP based in California they ought to do their best to see that TV stations show a cross section of players so that the American public can really see who is out there.
It is pretty much the same in the UK, much of the general public is pretty ignorant where world tennis is concerned & they have been fed by the media that Tim is almost the next Sampras (similar to Roddick in the US) & that he is going to win Wimbledon. Maybe he can but also it could be that the pressure from the media has an adverse effect.

Yeah I agree that ESPN here in America really have to quit focusing on American players - Sampras, Agassi, and Roddick so much. I mean this morning, I woke up to watch tennis, this is just ridiculous, but, both ESPN and ESPN2 were showing tennis at the same time. Both channels were showing Roddick's match. Also I'm not quite sure, but last night, did they show Andre's match again and THEN show Safin's match?

the cat
08-06-2002, 11:38 PM
Allie, you were watching tennis on ESPN and ESPN2 in the morning? :confused: Oh I get it, you're back in Seattle again! I think!

Allie, the premise of ESPN not featuring American's so much is a good one. But with Sampras and Agassi on the way down and Roddick and other American youngsters on the way up, it's only natural to put the attention on the Americans. Although I agree it's done too much. But when ESPN puts a Safin or Ferrero on television, they quite often don't play well. Cliff Drysdale touted Marat Safin as the next great player. But Safin played poorly and was beaten by Thomas Johansson in the Australian Open final. And I don't think Cliff Drysdale has forgiven him yet! :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 12:34 AM
But when ESPN puts a Safin or Ferrero on television, they quite often don't play well

Like which time? When Ferrero spanked Agassi in the FO? Or when he won Monte Carlo? Or Rome?

Funny, the only time that I ever see Ferrero featured on ESPN coverage is when he has played well enough that there is no Americans left to show.

As for Safin, he's very up and down, but he gets decent coverage compared to some people (Haas is an example)

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 12:35 AM
I might also add that Hewitt and Safin getting decent coverage would have a good deal to do with them winning the US Open.

If they only won Oz, it might be different.

the cat
08-07-2002, 12:40 AM
Hmmmmmm. Good points Becca! :) You would be tough in a debate! :eek: But I would find a way! I think! ;)

TennisHack
08-07-2002, 01:07 AM
I agree with Becca, they only show Hewitt & Safin because both have beaten hometown boys in the hometown slam. The only other time they show foreign players is when, inevitably, the Americans fall out of the draw before the quarters/semis/final. Sometimes it can work in your favor for them to show American matches; today I was able to see Michel Kratochvil for the first time since Wimbledon, and hopefully the will show James Blake/Juan Carlos Ferrero tomorrow.

tennischick
08-07-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Layla
Hey, all my top 5 players are being bashed left and right except Corretja! :eek: How come he doesn't have a cute name? I feel like he's left out or something. :sad: Nobody ever makes fun of him. :confused:

Alex is one of my faves so it's up to someone else to come up with a nickname for him! ;) i also adore Guga and he seems to be just too darned sweet to get bashed.

i think that generally the ones that the media makes us nauseous about are the ones more likely to attract wisecracks. (Henmania anyone? :puke: ) it's like the media keeps bigging them up so it's our job to them back down to earth. :o :o

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 01:46 AM
But TC, the media ignores Ferrero, so how do you explain that :(

tennischick
08-08-2002, 02:34 AM
the American media ignore all of the so-called clay-courters. you know that. the Spanish media can't get enuf of Ferrero. he had his own special last year with a feature that included him eating a meal with his family among other highlights. he gets a LOT of attention at home.

TennisHack
08-08-2002, 02:59 AM
the Spanish media can't get enuf of Ferrero. he had his own special last year with a feature that included him eating a meal with his family among other highlights. he gets a LOT of attention at home.

I'd kill for Spanish TV right about now . . . .

Lily
08-08-2002, 04:17 AM
Someone said we're gonna get Russian TV here soon...

safin..safin..safin

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 05:13 AM
the American media ignore all of the so-called clay-courters. you know that. the Spanish media can't get enuf of Ferrero. he had his own special last year with a feature that included him eating a meal with his family among other highlights. he gets a LOT of attention at home.

Yes the American media is just bitter, because with the exception of Andre, their players look like utter fools on the red stuff :o

pft I want Spanish TV. I would have been utterly facinated to watch him eat :p

Anyone know where I can get a copy of that? :o

*plans move to Spain*

AtPGiRL
08-09-2002, 02:19 AM
lol! Well, I agree about the crappy AMerican biased tv coverage! My point has always been.. how do they expect the casual tennis fan to ever know who the other players (besides Americans) are if they never show them? :rolleyes:

I could go on and on about this, but I've made my point!

Oh, and LMFAO @ Linus! :D

although.. I prefer to call him "HORSEFACE" :bounce:

Umpire
08-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Here's what I think. Roddick will be a top five player. His success depends on how he will be performing against players his age. So far he has a little or no success against them. But he is only 19. And at this age, if I am not mistaken, he's already doing better than Safin. As his ranking goes up, he will do better in slams. If gets an openning in a draw, he may even win a slam. Just like Hewitt won Wimbledon. One slam may be enough to get to #1.

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 06:54 AM
[quote] If gets an openning in a draw, he may even win a slam. Just like Hewitt won Wimbledon. One slam may be enough to get to #1.[/quote[

I'm not sure we should be comparing Roddick's slam chances to Hewitts :o

Hewitt was already a slam winner, and number on player when he won Wimbledon - he didn't need an opening in the draw, he was just the best player that lasted ;)

And I'm sorry, but I doubt that Roddick or Agassi, or anyone else would have made a licking difference to Hewitts Wimbledon run :o

Though I do agree Roddick will likely be a top 5 player.

TheBoiledEgg
08-09-2002, 01:40 PM
hopefully a Henman type of top 5 player :D

the cat
08-09-2002, 06:26 PM
A Henman type of top five player? I don't think so! Roddick will win several majors. I don't think your Timmy will, Eggy! ;)

Just tellin' it like it is! :)

TheBoiledEgg
08-09-2002, 06:29 PM
my Timmy ????

when was i ever a Brit :confused:

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes: @ the cat.

You mean well, but you are a broken record.

the cat
08-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Becca, a broken record? That's mean! :sad: Contrary to some peoples beliefs, I am allowed an opinion, too. And I feel Andy Roddick will win several majors. You and the other Roddick haters are going to have to learn to live with it. It's as simple as that! ;) The cat.

TheBoiledEgg
08-09-2002, 07:05 PM
haters is too strong a word, we just like taking the piss out of him

TheBoiledEgg
08-09-2002, 07:05 PM
oops thats another reference to you know what :rolleyes:

oops i did it again :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 09:39 PM
I don't hate Roddick, how many times must I say that?

He is just WAY to easy to make fun of. I don't know if Reebok does this to him on purpose, or if he is just natural an easy target :p

You can state an opinion, but you always say the exact same things, and never debate about them.

You'l state your opinion like its the last word and fall over in shock when someone disagrees.

Roddick will do well, I agree.

But Haas, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero etc are all better. Wether or not they will do better, depends on their minds, but they have more talent (that is more for Haas and Ferrero, who haven't won slams as of yet)

TennisHack
08-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Becca, a broken record? That's mean! :sad: Contrary to some peoples beliefs, I am allowed an opinion, too. And I feel Andy Roddick will win several majors. You and the other Roddick haters are going to have to learn to live with it. It's as simple as that! ;) The cat.

Cat, if you were looking for some back-up on this one, sorry. I agree with Eggy and Becca, I think people just enjoy ragging on him because he's an easy target, not necessarily because they actually hate him. Some people have said some mean things about him in the beginning of this thread, but that's over and done with and honestly, just let it go already.

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 09:53 PM
the cat, I do congratulate your bravery for not deleting this thread however ;)

the cat
08-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Becca, I'll state my opninion like it's the last word and fall over in shock when someone disagrees? I hope I'm more fair minded than that.

I never debate? I state why I think someone will do something. I try not to say things off the tip of my tongue.

I always say the exact same things? :( I'll try to be more diverse in my posts. :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 09:57 PM
the cat, you're making me feel bad for being a meanie :sad:

But no one hates Roddick - well the Pea does :D - but most of us don't ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Oh yes, and Fingon does too :D

TennisHack
08-09-2002, 09:58 PM
I never debate? I state why I think someone will do something. I try not to say things off the tip of my tongue

Debate also means you back up your statements and move with the flow of conversation. You sometimes have a problem with that.

tennischick
08-09-2002, 10:03 PM
i'm thinking of starting a support group called Roddick Bashers Anonymous. i wonder if Dr. marly will lead it? attendees will be taught the art of composing limericks in praise of the Visored One :o that should cure us! :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-09-2002, 10:21 PM
pft. it has already been started - that is what the depreciation thread is all about :D

Dissident
08-10-2002, 01:02 AM
i'm thinking of starting a support group called Roddick Bashers Anonymous. i wonder if Dr. marly will lead it? attendees will be taught the art of composing limericks in praise of the Visored One :o that should cure us! :eek:
The Visored one?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

SanTaureau Fan
08-10-2002, 01:28 AM
All rationnal tennis fans (like me and the cat) know that our Andy will the next force in men tennis... and he'll win the US OPEN THIS YEAR!!! :D :D :D

Andy the visored one Roddick proud fan :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Murkofan
08-10-2002, 03:09 AM
LMAO TC!

:wavey: Becca, I hate RodPrick too. With the fiery burning passion of a thousand suns.

Chloe le Bopper
08-10-2002, 04:53 AM
Dr Marly does too ;) :p, my bad, I forgot :o

;)

safin_fan
08-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Roddick to win the US Open? WTF LMAO! What a joke! He could get a nice draw and all night matches and he would still blow it! Maybe if all the top ten players got hit by a bus!

SanTaureau Fan
09-07-2003, 11:19 PM
:D

AtPGiRL
09-08-2003, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty good with predictions! I think this will happen. And Andy Roddick is coming along like Marat Safin did in 2000. The similarities are eerie! Safin won his first Masters Series tournament in Toronto, and Roddick is expected to win his first Masters Series today, in Toronto!

You heard it hear first. Andy Roddick will win the Canadian Open today and the U.S. Open in September!
And by winning the U.S. Open, Roddick will wash away the dissapointments of the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon. Those tournaments and dissapointments will be forgotten come September 8, 2002!

please don't ever compare Rodprick with the class act known as Marat Safin. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SanTaureau Fan
09-08-2003, 12:39 AM
The cat was right, only the year was wrong ;)

the cat
09-08-2003, 12:59 AM
OMG The Visored Boy! I had forgotten all about this thread. How did you remember?

It's so interesting re-reading this thread from last year. So many people and smart tennis fans knocked Andy Roddick and his game. And they scoffed at my prediction! :sad: :mad: :p But in the end Roddick made my prediction look good and I get to stand tall! :D All 6'2" tall!

But unfortunately my prediction was off by a year. :o

tennischick
09-08-2003, 01:06 AM
your prediction was WRONG Cat. you predicted that this would happen last year. it didn't.

the cat
09-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Come on TC. Can't I atleast get partial credit?

And I did admit my prediction was off by a year. I'm not trying to hoodwink anybody. :angel:

J. Corwin
09-08-2003, 02:14 AM
He did better than your prediction, lol. He won TMS Canada and the US Open, like you said, AND won TMS Cincinatti! :D

star
09-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Roddick winning a SLAM not until 2005 or never

i hope never

:lol:

the cat
09-08-2003, 03:21 AM
Good point, 1j2001! :)

star, are you saying TheBoiledEgg has egg on his face? ;) Even the most knowledgable tennis fans like TBE are occasionally wrong. But I sometimes think that people disrespect Roddick's ability because they don't like him.

Roddick has proved alot of people wrong so far. But to be fair he still has a long way to go to become a truly great tennis player.

ys
09-08-2003, 03:35 AM
star, are you saying TheBoiledEgg has egg on his face? ;) Even the most knowledgable tennis fans like TBE are occasionally wrong. But I sometimes think that people disrespect Roddick's ability because they don't like him.

Eggy was _NOT_ wrong. What was implied that it is an honest Slam played with equal conditions for any players. Roddick had all USTA look silly helping him eliminate his opponents. Do you really think that if Roddick and Nalbandian were in equal conditions Roddick would even have made to the finals? USTA could as well hire assassins for Roddick's opponents.

star
09-08-2003, 03:39 AM
You are right. It was just cheating. Obviously, Roddick is slime and not worthy of the title.

SanTaureau Fan
09-08-2003, 03:46 AM
Eggy was _NOT_ wrong. What was implied that it is an honest Slam played with equal conditions for any players. Roddick had all USTA look silly helping him eliminate his opponents. Do you really think that if Roddick and Nalbandian were in equal conditions Roddick would even have made to the finals? USTA could as well hire assassins for Roddick's opponents.

Can you name me a slam that there are exactly equal conditions for all players?

Just the Australian Open, one of the 2 finalist gets 2 days of rest while the other one gets 1 day of rest. Wow, talk about equal conditions.

ys
09-08-2003, 03:48 AM
You are right. It was just cheating. Obviously, Roddick is slime and not worthy of the title.

He was not cheating. USTA was. And he is not worthy of the title. He was very lucky and he was given a red carpet road to the title, and even there he almost flopped. If it was not for Nalbandian playing 8 sets in two previous days to his 3, if it was not for an idiot out of Roddick's supporters who stole the third set from Nalbandian for him, Roddick would be watching the final on TV.

And you can't complain about draw, right, just note that each man Ferrero had to play in last three rounds before the final - Martin, Hewitt, Agassi - are the players with outstanding US Open history - Top 3 US Open credentials among active players who played US Open - one finalist and two Champions, all in recent years. And the biggest opposition Roddick had to encounter was Schalken. Draw is draw, but when they combine much harder draw with much harder schedule, you'd just realise that Ferrero was asked to accomplish something pretty much unthinkable.

SanTaureau Fan
09-08-2003, 03:59 AM
Isn't there a difference between a day additionnal of rest and a red carpet road? And it's in the rule that there is no let if someone in the crowd say "out". The same thing happened to Lisa Raymond in 1995 - and it's worth noting that Raymond is American.

Anyway that was to be expected that no matter what, people would still find a way to diminish Roddick accomplishments. Easy draw, scheduling, etc. People can say what they want, but his results speak for themselves: Montreal winner, Cincinnati winner, US Open 2003 winner.

ys
09-08-2003, 04:08 AM
Isn't there a difference between a day additionnal of rest and a red carpet road? And it's in the rule that there is no let if someone in the crowd say "out".

Of course, it is within the rules, just like playing games with schedule.
You know what? Nalbandian is just too inexperienced and nice, or he was just intimidated by nasty crowd. When similar thing happened in Kuerten-Tursunov match ( some idiot was interfering with play shouting ), you know what Guga did? He stopped playing , sat on his chair and said that he won't continue the play until that person is not escorted from the Stadium. And you know what happened? After two minutes of hesitation officials obliged, and that was a guarantee that nobody would do it again. I guess Nalbandian was just too intimidated by all screaming morons on the Stadium and he imagined that he would be booed till the end of the match if he'd do that.

heya
09-08-2003, 06:46 AM
Hewitt was in bad form and Agassi slowed down. They were not
great this year. If you think they were good enough to beat Roddick, then you must be living
in a time machine.

Todd Martin, who was mediocre, should've lost in 3 sets, but
Ferrero made many errors to let him back in.

Roddick played 5 sets the day before the final.
He won not because of 1 day off but because he
finally converted break points after failing to do so in 1st/2nd sets. David couldn't return well
enough to win the 5th set points.
If you can't play with loud crowds, you
should avoid tennis.

1 day off at AO helped
neither player when they ran out of gas from 5 sets.

He won the U. S. Open because he
had the right shots. He'd still beat Ferrero if it
were 4 or 5 sets because his serves/returns
improved.

Why not complain about Agassi's draw at AO
and Hewitt's 2002 Wimbledon too? Oh, right,
it's because you never will respect Roddick.

It's impossible, in the exaggerator's mind for Roddick to grow as a player and person so fast?
It's the detractor's problem -not Roddick's.
It's masochism if you want to avoid him but feel the
need to talk about him daily. LMAO!
It's human
nature to want others to fail if you don't like
their looks/body language/personality/game.

J. Corwin
09-08-2003, 06:54 AM
No need to spew forth another thesis, heya. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2003, 06:55 AM
:lol:
I could bump up a good deal of your David Nalbandian comments and laugh at them, but I'm not so petty ;) (remember how his ranking was going to die after Wimbledon? Oh...)

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2003, 06:56 AM
No need to spew forth another thesis, heya. ;)
Let me paraphrase what she said:

"Blah blah blah, Andy, Blah blah blah sex, blah blah blah I'm coming I'm coming, blah blah"

Mimi
09-08-2003, 08:21 AM
hello my dear friend the cat, you are so smart, hehehe :D

heya
09-08-2003, 08:50 AM
That speech was for the weirdos. You're reading this
thread, though. :)

the cat
09-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi Mimi! :wavey:

:rolleyes: @ ys.

Tennis players always have to be prepared to play through distractions in their matches. This isn't golf. Noise is allowed. Even if it isn't appropriate. And just so everyone knows, in the Roddick-Nalbandian third set tiebreak the fan yelled "out" before Roddick hit a backhand. I have the match on tape and I've reviewed the third set tirbreak. So Roddick should have been thrown off by the fan yelling out. But he wasn't. Nalbandian had plenty of time to continue playing the point.

The fact of the matter is Andy Roddick has dominated the ATP Tour since Wimbledon! :D And he deserves to be the 2003 U.S. Open champion. :)

star
09-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I could bump up a good deal of your David Nalbandian comments and laugh at them, but I'm not so petty ;) (remember how his ranking was going to die after Wimbledon? Oh...)

I just dislike David Nalbandian's on court behavior, and general personality. :) It did look like he was never going to get it together and get to the fourth round in any tournament, but much to my disgust he did.

However, I was much to hopeful in thinking that perhaps Nalbandian would put me out of my misery and sink to the bottom of the feeding pond with his little tummy. The way he is playing now, it would be possible for him to win a GS. Not that he would be a "worthy" winner. ;)

star
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Nalbandian is too nice??????????

oh my god. I never considered that he was too nice. :lol:

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2003, 08:32 PM
The ballkids in Montreal said he was one of the nicest players there.

tennischick
09-09-2003, 01:13 AM
in this particular circumstance, Rodduck isn't slime. neither is Agassi who also (temporarily) benefited from the USTA manipulation.

but i cancelled my USTA membership today. i refuse to give my hard-earned money to such a slimy organisation.

the cat
09-09-2003, 06:33 PM
TC, I can't say I blame you for cancelling your USTA membership. But you're going to lose your subsciption to Tennis Magazine.

The surprising 4 days of rain caused the scheduling problems for the 2003 U.S. Open. Under similar rain delayed circumstances in the other 3 grand slams, would Tennis Australia, Tennis France and British tennis try to give their top players a schedlung advantage if they had the chance?