#1 in the World!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

#1 in the World!!!

Havok
10-30-2003, 09:46 PM
so this special occasion deserved a whole new thread:banana: HUGE congrats to Andy on getting the #1 rank in the entry system, the 4th youngest EVER #1 :eek: :worship: i mean WOW, what can i say, what an AWESOME year he's had, totaly 100% deserved, it was only a matter of time that he was going to get it anyways, but now that he got it, we can all rest easy now because it's another milestone in Andy's career that people can't take away from him, and that we can use to rub it in all the haters' faces. go Andy, rock on:rocker2:

J. Corwin
10-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Very awesome achievement! So many milestones this year:

1) First time coming back from two sets down (AO rd. of 16 against Youzny)
2) First "epic" match LOL (AO QF against El Ayanoui)
3) First tournament win outside the U.S. (St. Poelten)
4) First grass tournament win (Queens)
5) First win over Agassi (Queens SF)
6) First TMS title (Montreal)
7) First win over Federer (Montreal SF)
8) First time winning over 3 titles in a season as a pro (with winning Montreal)
9) First back to back TMS wins (Montreal & Cincinnati)
10) First time being Champions Race leader (after Cincinnati)
11) FIRST GS TITLE WIN (U.S. Open)
12) Longest match winning streak of the year (19 consecutive matches, 20 tournament matches)
13) First Davis Cup match win on clay, and non-home soil (against Beck)
14) #1 IN THE WORLD!

Many more milestones to come!!! :D

Deboogle!.
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
WOW Jackson.. when you list them all like that, it IS impressive!!

Deboogle!.
10-30-2003, 10:36 PM
15) Qualifying for Masters Cup!

MisterQ
10-30-2003, 10:57 PM
16) First grand slam semifinal! (Australian, Wimbledon -- and USOpen of course)

MisterQ
10-30-2003, 10:58 PM
17) Tying the fastest serve in the world at Queens Club (149mph)!

Havok
10-30-2003, 11:13 PM
18) only hitting ONE error in his match vs Mirnyi in the Cincinnati semis ( deserves an honorable mention)
19) 4th youngest #1 ever, only in his 3rd full year as a pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J. Corwin
10-30-2003, 11:48 PM
yes yes...keep more of them coming...I'm sure there are other stuff that we're still missing...

baseline ace
10-31-2003, 12:36 AM
:worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bigclap: :clap2: :banana: :banana: :hatoff:

Congratulations to Andy!!!

heya
10-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Clever Queen Rebecca still confused St. Poelten, Austria with
Poland. Governor Schwarzenegger is shocked!
Andy likes small tourneys as well
as Grand Slams! Too bad!!!! MUAHHHH

Coincidentally, Poland is where 'Riley Finn' (her acquaintance Michal
lives) lol

Oh my, it's so embarrassing for the #1 player to lose on clay where he invariably doesn't practice on. If only he became a decent clay courter-
where would his rank be???! ;)
I guess we better trash Andy's clay losses-
the same way the evil media trashed Ferrero for his
hardcourt & grass losses. MUHAAAAHH! CUCKOOOO!

SanTaureau Fan
10-31-2003, 01:19 AM
Are you for real heya lol... I start to think you're just a troll who wants to give R-d fans a bad name. Anyway no matters who you are, you seem like a very perturbed individual.

heya
10-31-2003, 01:25 AM
I'm a troll that actually posts here a lot.
I like to yell when I'm happy!

andylover_16
10-31-2003, 01:48 AM
Are you for real heya lol... I start to think you're just a troll who wants to give R-d fans a bad name. Anyway no matters who you are, you seem like a very perturbed individual.

bugger off dimwit!!!....heya is my freind:hugs:....i like to yell when im happy to heya..:woohoo:

Deboogle!.
10-31-2003, 01:48 AM
oy gevalt

heya
10-31-2003, 02:09 AM
If other fan groups care if I give Roddick fans a bad name, that's shocking because I still haven't
turned many Roddick fans' stomachs yet.
I should learn how to be an unapproachable, scary Roddick fan :p :o !
If General Messages is filled
with bitterness, I'm gonna laugh a little at those who mock and insult others, including myself!
Don't worry, I don't make new threads all over
GM.
LMAO
DA BACKHAND was not insulting me, just confused,
that's all.

SanTaureau Fan
10-31-2003, 03:12 AM
bugger off dimwit!!!....heya is my freind:hugs:....i like to yell when im happy to heya..:woohoo:

I'm not surprised that he's your friend. You both seem very fanatical and both write posts terribly annoying to read (very bad writing style and punctuation).

SanTaureau Fan
10-31-2003, 03:16 AM
If other fan groups care if I give Roddick fans a bad name, that's shocking because I still haven't
turned many Roddick fans' stomachs yet.
I should learn how to be an unapproachable, scary Roddick fan :p :o !
If General Messages is filled
with bitterness, I'm gonna laugh a little at those who mock and insult others, including myself!
Don't worry, I don't make new threads all over
GM.
LMAO
DA BACKHAND was not insulting me, just confused,
that's all.

Maybe some posters are bitter, but you seem bitter too. You don't laugh a little, half of your post are about whining about the "haters", it's getting repetitive.

star
10-31-2003, 03:41 AM
What's the point of coming to the Andy thread and then taking a piss at what is written here. No need to come in and read the posts...... or so it seems to me.

Anyhoo......... Great for Andy to take the number one ranking. I'd like to see him finish it off with a flourish by winning the tournament, especially now that Gui and Guga are gone. :)

I know it would be a lucky fluke win, but it would be nice anyway. ;)

Deboogle!.
10-31-2003, 03:50 AM
Considering Henman's stellar record against Federer (especially on carpet interestingly enough), Andy could be clear through to the finals. All we can do is hope that he can keep up the quality of play that he had today against Robredo and that it will all work out for the best.

Hurley
10-31-2003, 04:26 AM
Bagle -- be nice, they're just excited :)

Every fan group has their fair share of...over-effusive youngsters. Ours just need to remember how to giggle :D

J. Corwin
10-31-2003, 04:35 AM
Jonas seems to be playing quite well himself. Andy better be on his game.

SanTaureau Fan
10-31-2003, 04:47 AM
Bonjour dear Andy fans :drive:

I love you all :hearts:

J. Corwin
10-31-2003, 08:20 AM
Right back at ya.

andylover_16
10-31-2003, 05:16 PM
ok Heya just sticking up for my friends on the Forum:hug:...sorry if i jumped to conclusions...please forgive me:bowdown:...:p...have you finished your scrumptious cookies yet?

andylover_16
10-31-2003, 05:17 PM

:wavey:...Bonjour...want one of my cookies rebecca bought me?

star
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM

:kiss: :wavey:

andylover_16
10-31-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm not surprised that he's your friend. You both seem very fanatical and both write posts terribly annoying to read (very bad writing style and punctuation).

:D....all andy fans are my freinds:hug:..you can be my friend too:wavey:...but why would i worry about my puntuation in a tennis forum?....how can someone tell me im stupid just because i love andy...i make straight A's....speaking of grades i have to do my report:bolt:

Havok
10-31-2003, 06:51 PM
Andy won and he's onto the semi's now, so he's gained a good amount of points on Ferrero. and Federer MUST do one round better than Roddick here if he wants to get #1. if Federer loses in his quarters, he's OUT of the #1 race :devil: if Federer wins, then Andy can take him out of contention for the #1 race if he beats Federer in the semis :devil: so basically all i'm saying is that Federer is a REALLY LONG SHOT for making the #1 at the end of the year, and because of the good performance from Andy at Paris, he is gaining points on Ferrero. and if Federer is still in contention for that year end #1, he has to win EVERYTHING at Houston, including his round robin matches. things are looking good for the newly crowned #1:banana::rocker2:

J. Corwin
10-31-2003, 06:59 PM
Andy is definitely in a favorable position to end year at #1. Nothing would help more to ease the pressure in Houston by winning the title here.

star
10-31-2003, 07:03 PM
Winning this tournament would be excellent.

Of course, with a powder puff draw like he has had.... lol....

I would like Federer and Andy to play. No guarantees that Andy would win, but I don't think Federer necessarily is a certain winner either, even though he would have to be favored. But, Andy can't ever get a good head to head record on the guy unless he plays him.... so I'm all for them playing in the semis.

J. Corwin
10-31-2003, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if they played in the semis either. I think it would be a good matchup if they faced each other now.

Havok
10-31-2003, 08:27 PM
sorry, a little bit of a blonde moment from me in my previous post. Andy has to win one more match than Federer to knock him out of contention. if he beats Henman in the semi's, Federer is OUT. if not, all he has to do is win one at Houston and Federer is OUT. i watched both the Roddick/Bjorkman and Federer/Henman match. Roddick picked up his game big time. he played 2-3 times better than he did vs Robredo. Henman is a little bit iffy, he played quite passive, although at times he played some pretty awesome points. i think it really helps Roddick that he played a serve & volleyer just the round before he has to face Henman, so he'll be fairly used to his passing shots, which were really on today i might add:yeah: and the Henman 2nd serve is not so great, he's hitting it really slow and kind of short in the box, and he doublefaulted and didn't come up with some good serves, or even shots when he was under pressure. go Andy, beat Henman:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
10-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Well it's gonna be Tim. And it's gonna be tough. Tim loves carpet.

Nishy
10-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Andy Congratulation New World No.1 ! ! ! :D :D :D

Hope he keeps healthy and does well in Houston too ! ! !

star
10-31-2003, 08:31 PM
sorry, a little bit of a blonde moment from me in my previous post. Andy has to win one more match than Federer to knock him out of contention. if he beats Henman in the semi's, Federer is OUT. if not, all he has to do is win one at Houston and Federer is OUT. i watched both the Roddick/Bjorkman and Federer/Henman match. Roddick picked up his game big time. he played 2-3 times better than he did vs Robredo. Henman is a little bit iffy, he played quite passive, although at times he played some pretty awesome points. i think it really helps Roddick that he played a serve & volleyer just the round before he has to face Henman, so he'll be fairly used to his passing shots, which were really on today i might add:yeah: and the Henman 2nd serve is not so great, he's hitting it really slow and kind of short in the box, and he doublefaulted and didn't come up with some good serves, or even shots when he was under pressure. go Andy, beat Henman:rocker2:

Thanks for that report, Naldo. :)

J. Corwin
10-31-2003, 11:54 PM
Ditto. Thanks Naldo.

Chrisie
11-01-2003, 05:27 AM
I finally can find some celebrating spirit when I see your post. Wish Andy best luck ever!!!!

Deboogle!.
11-01-2003, 10:31 PM
To continue our list....

1) First time coming back from two sets down (AO rd. of 16 against Youzny)
2) First "epic" match LOL (AO QF against El Ayanoui)
3) First tournament win outside the U.S. (St. Poelten)
4) First grass tournament win (Queens)
5) First win over Agassi (Queens SF)
6) First TMS title (Montreal)
7) First win over Federer (Montreal SF)
8) First time winning over 3 titles in a season as a pro (with winning Montreal)
9) First back to back TMS wins (Montreal & Cincinnati)
10) First time being Champions Race leader (after Cincinnati)
11) FIRST GS TITLE WIN (U.S. Open)
12) Longest match winning streak of the year (19 consecutive matches, 20 tournament matches)
13) First Davis Cup match win on clay, and non-home soil (against Beck)
14) #1 IN THE WORLD!
15) Qualifying for Masters Cup! (And being seeded #1!!!!!)
16) First grand slam semifinal and finals
17) Tying the fastest serve in the world at Queens Club (149mph)!
18) only hitting ONE error in his match vs Mirnyi in the Cincinnati semis ( deserves an honorable mention)
19) 4th youngest #1 ever, only in his 3rd full year as a pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now, more

20) First SF at indoor TMS tourney
21) Best fall indoor season for him yet
22) First time really deserving being put in same category as: Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe, Courier, and Connors (the other 5 US #1s, nice company, eh?)

J. Corwin
11-01-2003, 11:59 PM
How does Andy deserve to be put in the same category as those 5? lol.

I think I know what you mean though, in terms of rate of accomplishments. But he is obviously far off in terms of career achievements.

star
11-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Plus his personality is a lot more pleasant than any of those guys. ;)

(minus Courier... he's ok.)

heya
11-02-2003, 02:14 AM
23. youngest ('00) U. S. Open junior & pro champ (Edberg's the
only other person)
24. 1st tennis player who raps!
hear this & eat your heart out: 'ice ice baby'
25. 1st 6' 3" #1?
26. 1st time with 70 wins
27. 1st time a world record server reached #1
28. 1st time a 21 year old won 2 Masters
Series/slam titles consecutively
1st time (rafter also won 3)
29. 1st time a 21 year old player hosts SNL
30. 1st time he won a World Team Tennis match
to rescue St. Louis Aces, coming from a 11-17 deficit (19-18)
31. youngest ('00) AO junior winner to reach
AO pro semis

Deboogle!.
11-02-2003, 02:28 AM
How does Andy deserve to be put in the same category as those 5? lol.

I think I know what you mean though, in terms of rate of accomplishments. But he is obviously far off in terms of career achievements.

I wasn't saying he should be put in the same category in general terms. But they are the other 5 Americans who got to #1, and I think that's pretty good company ;) That's all I meant, sorry about the confusion

J. Corwin
11-02-2003, 03:44 AM
I wasn't saying he should be put in the same category in general terms. But they are the other 5 Americans who got to #1, and I think that's pretty good company ;) That's all I meant, sorry about the confusion

Ahh, gotcha.

heya
11-02-2003, 05:26 AM
Well, carpet isn't that familiar for him yet, but semifinals
is pretty good. I didn't expect him to do better than
last year. It's true that he hadn't gotten past the
semis, but he didn't lose in the 3rd rd. or quarters like Fed & JCF.
70/16 record is still better than 67/16, 6 titles-grass, clay, hardcourt

11 total at 21 years old is impressive.

J. Corwin
11-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Of course it is, but not as impressive as having a 75/16 record, with 7 titles, including the Masters Cup. ;)

Let's hope he can do that!

heya
11-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Andy better stop doing the
1 handed slice backhand like he did at matchpoint down- ball landed 1 inch out!
Ever heard of a 2 handed one, Andy?!! :(

1 (2) 4335 @#%& Roddick!!!! :) STAY BOY!
2 (1) 4205 Ferrero, Juan Carlos
3 (3) 3625 Federer, Roger
4 (4) 3230 Coria, Guillermo
5 (5) 3025 Agassi, Andre
6 (6) 3005 Schuettler, Rainer
7 (7) 2180 Moya, Carlos
8 (9) 1965 Nalbandian, David
9 (12) 1615 Philippoussis, Mark
10 (11) 1610 Grosjean, Sebastien
11 (10) 1595 Srichaphan, Paradorn
12 (14) 1559 Massu, Nicolas
13 (18) 1510 Novak, Jiri
14 (15) 1480 El Aynaoui, Younes
15 (17) 1470 Kuerten, Gustavo
16 (16) 1460 Verkerk, Martin
17 (8) 1450 Hewitt, Lleyton :o

Ljubicic, where are you, European dominator?

Deboogle!.
11-02-2003, 01:57 PM
your mouth to god's ears jackson! :)

J. Corwin
11-02-2003, 08:42 PM
We shall see!

heya
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Roddick joins idols as No. 1 player in world
Tue Nov 4, 3:52 AM ET

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN, mkaufman@herald.com

Roddick hopes to end the year at No. 1, too This is a particularly good week to be Andy Roddick. On Monday, he officially became the No. 1-ranked tennis player in the world, the sixth American and youngest since John McEnroe to hold the top spot in the 30-year history of the rankings. Thursday afternoon, he receives the key to Boca Raton, the hometown he spends less and less time in as his calendar overflows with commitments. Thursday evening, he struts down the runway at a fashion show at Saks Fifth Avenue. Saturday, he is in New York to host Saturday Night Live (news - Y! TV) with the Dave Matthews Band, one of Roddick's favorite musical groups.

andylover_16
11-04-2003, 05:12 PM
go andy go andy :singer:

yeah yeah

go andy...

:woohoo:...world number 1 to andy...

Mr. Man
11-04-2003, 05:26 PM
So glad he's #1. Either him or Ferrero can be #1. Everybody else...I don't give a damn. ;)

J. Corwin
11-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Then you're all set for the end of the year. You know it's gonna be either Andy or JC. ;)

heya
11-05-2003, 01:49 PM
I hope he has a good time at SNL.
Everything's all fun & nerve-wracking now, but
it's time for Andy to step up his offense-not
just hang passively from the baseline in Houston.
Send other Masters Cup players a message:
I'm keeping my #1 ranking because I'm
the strongest & best this year! Next year, I'll be even better!

Deboogle!.
11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
it's time for Andy to step up his offense-not
just hang passively from the baseline in Houston.
Send other Masters Cup players a message:

Yea, I'm tired of that standing 15 feet behind the baseline to return serves thing.

J. Corwin
11-05-2003, 08:04 PM
I don't mind it as long as he wins with it, although it does look freaky for him to be doing so. There are no particularly big servers in Houston (unless Mark subs in) so he should move closer to the baseline.

Sjengster
11-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Andy better stop doing the
1 handed slice backhand like he did at matchpoint down- ball landed 1 inch out!
Ever heard of a 2 handed one, Andy?!! :(

Yes, but in fairness it was Henman's short slice backhand that forced him to come into the net and play a shot that he isn't comfortable with. He certainly needs to improve the slice, however.

heya
11-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Brad Gilbert: "He's not 'Andy Roddick the kid' anymore, he's 'Andy Roddick the U.S. Open champion.' But he's a great kid, and he's handling it very well."

Uh, he's not the kid, but I call him a kid.

heya
11-08-2003, 10:19 AM
HOUSTON (AP)

Roddick went 27-1 on the hard-court summer circuit, including a tour-leading 19-match winning streak.

That surface makes Roddick's serve sting. Not that it needs much help -- he tied the record with a 239 kph (149 mph) offering this year, and led the tour in five of six serving categories:

-- 946 aces;

-- 92 percent of service games won;

-- 81 percent of first serve points won;

-- 60 percent of second serve points won;

-- 69 percent of break points saved.

But Roddick is far more than a robot smacking aces.

IS THAT A COMPLEMENT? LOL

Deboogle!.
11-08-2003, 02:22 PM
yes I would say it's a compliment. and something several people in GM would disagree with.

andylover_16
11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
yes I would say it's a compliment. and something several people in GM would disagree with.

:lol:...most definatly...what do they know:shrug:...:p...not much about roddick obviously....you know that is a very nice compliment i think......