end of year review [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

end of year review

ubrunjensen
10-27-2003, 11:09 AM
:) Hello, I know that 2003 is still on and that he still has to play Paris-Bercy this week with very little chance of going to Houston, but I wonder what you guys think of his year so far?
I don't really know anything about what he did before French Open, but I think he played great tennis during the grass season (Stella Artois & Wimbledon), then faltered a bit in America pre- and post-US Open, with the Grand Slam a real low point :( . I must admit I was rather disappointed. And he gets injured pretty often, doesn't he?
But his comeback was stellar, even if he didn't win in Tokyo, and with a postition as number 10 on Entry and Race list I think he's done pretty well this autumn.
I'm still bitter about St Petersburg, though... :bigcry:
Anyone know what tournaments he will play next year in between Grand Slams?

Lizan
10-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Yeah well before RG and at RG he didn't really Jumped out (is that actually an expression, in dutch it is :D)
I noticed that he alwys catches up his pionts at the end.. Like this year too.. I wish he could be in top 10 sth earlier.. Unstead of Coria and Schuettler (sorrry if there are people who like them).. No offense but Seb is much better, although he did lose hmmmz..

ubrunjensen
10-27-2003, 07:13 PM
You're right, I never noticed before, but he actually seems to get better as the year advances. A shame, really, coz this year it's too late to pick up the really important points and join the Masters. Last year he had that thigh problem, didn't he? He ended up being no. 16 on the Race list, right? If he can stay at no. 10 this year I'd say that 2003 was a good year for him, even if he did lose a couple of finals and never got a title! If only he could manage to stay injury-free! He's sure got the talent, he moves well on court, has a strong forehand, has improved his serve no end, and can do everything well. I just wish he would be more consistent. And one day beat Andy Roddick to pulp! He just can't win against the American... :mad:

Lizan
10-27-2003, 07:55 PM
hehe that would be cool. He did beat him a couple of times didn't he?!! I know for sure that he won one time.. I love to see his forehand groundstrokes. I love his game. Yeah he's extremely talented, to bad he isn't a little bit younger, coz he's one of the older guys already while he is only 25..

But don't forget, he did win a masters. BERCY!! And he almost won Madrid last year. He had so many chances.. Because if he won from Agassi (which almost happened), he got the titel (walk over from Novak).. I was really pissed off, HE should have had the trophee.. He was really close.... Ah well... :sad: :awww:

Lindsayfan
10-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Unstead of Coria and Schuettler . No offense but Seb is much better, although he did lose hmmmz..

despite i dont like Coria at all,I must admit that he had a fantastic year so he deserves to be at the Masters Cup.as for Schuettler,puaffff I hate him...i call him Shittler :p and yes SEb's better than him!

Lizan
10-27-2003, 08:51 PM
yeah seems like nobody likes him.. Well coria is only a terrific player on clay.. I don't think he belongs at the masters cup.

stephB
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
but rainer played also very well this year. and he is really friendly. he´s not one of my faves. but......somehow i like him a little. maybe because he stayed on the ground. dont know. but seb is better. no way :) just wanted to say that there is no use for hating schüttler ;)

Lindsayfan
10-27-2003, 10:09 PM
u r german,StephB that's why u like Shittler! :)
I'm italian and I'm the most anti-patriotic girl on this world...LOL no,it's true...Shittler played great this year,very consistent,he deserved his spot @ Masters Cup.I just wanted Seb,Paradorn and Mark getting into the best 8,but the ones who qualified r worthy!

ubrunjensen
10-28-2003, 11:12 AM
No matter where your sympathy lies there is of course no doubt that the players who join the Masters all deserve it. I dislike Roddick almost as much as I like Ferrero, but even I have to admit that Rotten Andy is here to stay for a very long time and that he's so hard to beat becoz he actually plays great tennis!
If talent and mental strength were the only qualities to admire in a player my list of personal favourites would look very different!
It's probably "so like a girl", but I happily admit that I like certain players mostly becoz of their sweet personalities or good looks or great way with the press, absolutely not only becoz of their game!
So, I really don't care if Grosjean didn't really deserve to be in Masters (on account of how he's played all year), I want him to be there becoz he's a sweetie AND can play spectacular tennis on a good day!

Lizan
10-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Sorry Steph :lol:

ubrunjensen
10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
What's with poor Schuettler? I've never seen him in action, so don't know if I like his game or not. Only dislike him coz he beat Grosjean in Tokyo!

stephB
10-28-2003, 06:33 PM
it´s not that i like schüttler. sure i´m german but i cannot remember a match with a german and i support him. i saw a match of a german against julien boutter. i prefer boutter. i saw a match of a german against antony dupuis. i prefer dupuis. lindsayfan, seems that you are not the most anti-patriotic girl on this world. so we both can name us like this :). but you all are right. he´s quite normal (rainer). nothing special. but he´s very friendly. and that´s what i like :)

Lizan
10-28-2003, 07:00 PM
yeah I don't know.. He's just a little bit ennoying. Don't hate him, but yeah I don't know.. His game is also very BORING.. It irritated me when he played Seb, he didn't made a mistake at all.. Seb made a thousand mistakes, but played better in Tokyo last time I guess.. Hope he wins next time!!

esther
10-29-2003, 04:25 AM
.. Unstead of Coria and Schuettler (sorrry if there are people who like them).. ..

coria has had an amazing year. i think he just proved that last week when he came back from injury and won his first tourney back...too good

but i respect your opinion..and i think the same about nalbandian. And if Andy takes JC's number one i will be madder than ever

ubrunjensen
10-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Beats me how anyone can like Roddick...but maybe I wouldn't dislike him so much if he hadn't wiped out Grosjean at Queen's final? And didn't gasp and grunt when hitting balls or look so annoyingly confident all the time!

ubrunjensen
10-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Sigh! Bercy goes on without Grosjean. Afraid he bowed out without a title this year and so spoiled the statistics (a title every year since 2000) - it's a little disappointing, especially if he also drops out of top 10. But then again, maybe I get the proportions all wrong? He's on the top 20, that's infinitely better than labouring to stay on the top 100, like the only Danish player with any kind of a cv! Anyone out there heard of Kenneth Carlsen???

sebgrosfan
10-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I've heard of him, he's quite the dark horse, right. He pops up everywhere!

Anyway, the one thing that I really loved about Seb's year was his grass season success. I love Wimbledon more than any tournament combined and the fact that he did so amazing there, well, that's +50 Respect Points :D

I dedicate this one to Seb, who we love no matter how bad he loses:

When you thought that it was over,
You could feel it all around.
Everybody's out to get you,
Don't you let it drag you down.

If you ever feel neglected,
And if you think all is lost.
I'll be counting up my demons, yeah,
Hoping everything's not lost.

- Coldplay

stephB
10-31-2003, 12:52 PM
i also heard about kenneth carlson. since last year in june we saw him nearly on every tournament we went. grrrrr. last year in halle he beat nearly everybody we like. weird man!!!!!! dont like him.

Lindsayfan
10-31-2003, 01:41 PM
I know Carlsen,i've seen him playing several times.he's quite scaring with his blond ponytail and his weird face :eek: where has he been lately?

stephB
11-01-2003, 03:52 PM
saw him in stockholm in the week before paris! :silly: really a nice hairdo. :haha:

ubrunjensen
11-02-2003, 12:27 PM
So hope you're joking, StephB, I know Carlsen is Danish and that I should probably go easy on him for that reason, but I don't like him, never did. He looks like a beanpole with a peasized head, and once I saw him in a restaurant in my city and he was so rude to the waitress and all difficult to please! I know he's won like 2 tournaments, the latest in Tokyo last year, but I feel a bit embarrassed to watch him play, he looks so stinking awful next to his opponents, making easy mistakes and really having nothing to offer but a hard first serve.

ubrunjensen
11-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Oh, and Grosjean did win a title this year! Just not in singles, but in doubles, with Santoro. Was it in Open 13 Marseille? Winning is winning, but I don't feel the same for doubles as I do for singles! The worst is that I know he's so much better than that and should've won at least one title...I mean, if Kuerten and Henman, with their lacklustre seasons, could still manage to win some hardware...then how can Grosjean not do the same? It's not bloody fair!

stephB
11-03-2003, 10:15 AM
thats life! seb was in the final in queens. we were in halle and didnt know the result of the final. in rosmalen seb told us about that roddick won. sure he was a little sad but seems to be ok. he was so nice and friendly. like everytime. :)
and carlsen......sure i was joking. dont like his "dangerous" hairdo haha.

ubrunjensen
11-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Like everytime...you mean, you've actually met him lots of times??? :cool: How come everybody else has met him, but me..? Did he talk a lot or just answer your questions? You guys must travel around a lot to follow tennis tournaments. I've never even been to a live match (maybe that's why I never meet Grosjean?) though I did consider buying ticket for charity match Stefan Edberg vs. Boris Becker here in my city. Never did, though, coz in the end I preferred to save up for my holiday. Anyway, I didn't know anybody who wanted to go with me.
Mighty relieved to know you feel the same way as I do, about Carlsen and the comedy hairdo of the century! :p

ubrunjensen
11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Hmmm, I seem to be on the forum all the time! Must make all of you wonder if I have a life of my own...rest assured that I do! I just love to chat about tennis and Grosjean, especially as no one of my friends, not even my sister, understands my devotion for Grosjean! She keeps claiming he looks like a fat hamster...but then she always had the worst taste in men! Also, I'm a sub teacher and don't always have classes every day which leaves me free to do what I please - and I really enjoy being a member here!

stephB
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
poor you. i mean you dont have anybody who also like tennis. thanks god i have my friends :) here in my town i have one. but we travel a lot for tennis and we met a lot of nice people. and we got friends now :) a big group :=) thats really nice at tournaments when you know a lot of people. you should go first alone and you will meet some people (hopefully, but i cannot imagine anything else). from which city are you?

ubrunjensen
11-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Oh, I live in Aarhus, the second biggest city in Denmark. Once upon a time they had the Davis Cup here, but as Denmark doesn't play in the best group anymore (did we ever, I wonder?) Danish tv and the public have sort of lost interest. Now they only show the Grand Slams on tv and only on ONE channel! We've got Copenhagen Open in the capital, but my faves never enlist for it. Grosjean played it once, a long time ago, but didn't win it. Even though I adore tennis and football I've never been to any live matches. I tend to get all worked up and scream and shout a lot, and my friends claim I embarrass them too much! And there's my boyfriend to consider...he finds tennis boring and he thinks I'm a little too interested in Grosjean for it to be healthy ;) - so no live tennis for me! Maybe someday, with a bit of luck...I would so love to see him LIVE winning a title!

stephB
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
oh yeah. i can imagine :) well, i know about the tournament in copenhagen, but in our tennismagazine i read that it wont be there anymore. is that true???
they try to find another place for it!
i think you shouldn´t waive of live-tennis matches just because your boyfriend thinks it is boring. you should do what you want. :) who do you like except grosjean?? did you ever told me? i forgot. sorry.

ubrunjensen
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
I thought that was just a rumour, now I begin to believe it's the end of Copenhagen Open. Maybe it's too expensive to host it? Oh, when I said that about my partner I was just joking, irony just doesn't translate well in writing. In fact he's very laidback about my various obsessions and teases me, saying stuff like how can I possibly fancy a French midget with girlie hair when I've got him, a tall viking??? But he does think tennis is boring to watch (except for Serena Williams), football likewise, he prefers motor sports!
I usually support all the Spanish players, but I only really like Ferrero & Robredo. And I like Coria and Nalbandian, a bit Henman, but only at Wimbledon. The poor guy really should win it once, if only to stop the Brits from hating him too much for his failures so far!
What about your fave players? I guess you like Grosjean & Clément...

stephB
11-05-2003, 09:49 AM
thats so right. but i would change that in clement and grosjean :) oh. but there are so many other players i like. john van lottum is next to arnaud my fave :) then there are mikhail youzhny, albert portas, fillipo volandri, julien boutter, antony dupuis, alex corretja, dick norman, edwin kempes, etc. :) you see, a lot of players i like :) hope i dont forget an important one ;)

ubrunjensen
11-05-2003, 11:39 AM
No, don't like Corretja anymore since he beat Grosjean in St Petersburg...and I must confess I've never actually seen any of the other players on your list, just heard their names. You see, I used to follow football & the Spanish league, tennis and Grosjean are only recent passions. I discovered him in AO 2001 and liked him very much, then forgot about him completely for two years. Then came French Open 2003 and I got hooked again. As I said before, Danish tv doesn't show that much tennis anymore, so hardly get the chance to drool! Got Eurosport now, but they seem to prefer WTA or tournaments that Grosjean doesn't play!
Ups, have to go, gotta work.

stephB
11-05-2003, 09:42 PM
yeah. eurosport is really.....
at big tournaments they are online. :) like AO or USO. but the smaller ones? maybe an hour per day. hello?? thats nothing. but germany isnt that tennisnation what it was before. at times of becker, stich, graf. very sad. actually tennis is the best ever :)
hey, actually you shouldnt like volandri! he beat seb in stuttgart this year (after seb won in hamburg, haha)

ubrunjensen
11-06-2003, 11:07 AM
But at least Germany once was a big tennisnation, Denmark never was and likely never will be either! I mean, if the best we can produce are Kenneth Carlsen and Kristian Pless...bottom of the barrel! You may not have Becker & Graf anymore, but there's Tommy Haas - and that Rainer Schuettler from Japan Open! Not won a tournament for two years and then he has to win the one that was meant for Grosjean!!! AARGGHH!!!

stephB
11-07-2003, 10:29 AM
hehe. and schüttler also beat youzhny there. grrrrrr. :) yeah. tennisnation...long ago :( hope tommy haas i s back soon and will play great tennis so that germany has a new star :)