Australian Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open

Danika
01-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Okay so here is a little of what Dominiks side of the draw looks like.

[1] FEDERER, Roger SUI v. (W) ISTOMIN, Denis UZB
LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR v. MAYER, Florian GER
(Q) ADAKTUSSON, Jacob SWE v. SANGUINETTI, Davide ITA
ASCIONE, Thierry FRA v. [30] MIRNYI, Max BLR
[24] ROCHUS, Olivier BEL v. (W) LLODRA, Michael FRA
MINAR, Ivo CZE v. (W) LUCZAK, Peter AUS
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA v. DJOKOVIC, Novak SCG
HAAS, Tommy GER v. [14] GASQUET, Richard FRA
[12] HRBATY, Dominik SVK v. (Q) MARACH, Oliver AUT
(Q) FLEISHMAN, Zack USA v. NORMAN, Dick BEL
(Q) SNOBEL, Pavel CZE v. SLUITER, Raemon NED
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP v. [23] ANDREEV, Igor RUS
[29] VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA v. (W) HEALEY, Nathan AUS
STARACE, Potito ITA v. (W) DELIC, Amer USA
(Q) LEVY, Harel ISR v. KIM, Kevin USA
KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO v. [5] DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS

I dont really like this draw!But good luck Dominik!!!!!!!!!!!!

Experimentee
01-15-2006, 07:16 AM
The draw is not the best, but if Dominik plays his best he can do well. He should get to the 3rd round, but Andreev will be tough.

I saw Dominik practice yesterday, with Alberto Martin. He was hitting it well, but then he always does in practice.
He has a new coach, who seemed to be actually giving him advice in practice, unlike Miro Mihal. Hopefully he can help Dominik do better this year. He is the guy in the red shirt standing behind Hrbaty in the pics.

Danika
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info on the new coach!I did not know that he had a new coach!And thanks for the pictures Experimentee there really cool!

jole
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I think the coach is Tibor Tath. I believe he started with Dominik at some point last year.

Scotso
01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
I think Dominik's draw is pretty good... I mean, he has a great chance to make the 4th round. Igor is very up and down... he's played well lately but he's still suspect in big matches.

Davydenko may be the 5th seed and a solid player, but Dominik could blow him off the court if he plays well.

Quarterfinals are certainly reasonable... but I wouldn't expect a semis :p

jole
01-17-2006, 02:24 AM
(12) Hrbaty d. (Q) Marach 3-6 4-6 6-2 6-1 6-3 :D

I'm not sure how many of you guys followed this, but it was pretty scary stuff for a while. Dominik couldn't find the court, and Marach was playing fairly well. Luckily the tide turned, and Dominik won as he should.

Fleishman and Norman are battling it out in the fifth currently, Dominik faces the winner in the second round.

Scotso
01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
It was scurry, but Dom came through. Oliver is a great player so it isn't surprising he was tough.

Dom is playing doubles with Michal.

linus
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
it was really frightening :eek:

Domi, pls not once again :)

Danika
01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
It was a frightening match!But im just glad that he's in the next round

Experimentee
01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I was there for his first round the other day. Dominik played really bad in the first two sets, and later he said he couldnt play well because he was nervous. However after the first two sets Dominik played like he should, and blew Marach away. Marach was also getting tired towards the end, and Dominik's supreme fitness gave him the advantage.

me_luv_Dommy
01-18-2006, 02:41 PM
ooohh....i'm so glad Dommy won. I can imagine how scary it was following this match...2 sets down. Anyway, because of his spirit and fitness, he can make it through. Next is Dick Norman, shouldn't be a problem as long as Dommy plays his normal winning tennis. There is an article about him on AUS Open website. They call him an "iron man". Let's check out ^^ And yup the best of luck to him all the way!!! Oooo and thanks a lot experimentee for the pics :)

jole
01-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Hey guys! :D

Dominik is currently playing flawless tennis. He is up 2 sets to none on Dick Norman of Belgium. He has 24 winners, and only 10 unforced errors.

That's great that you are seeing him Experimentee! It's unfortunate that he was feeling the nerves in his first match, which definitely explains why he was sucking, but hopefully he will be fine for the rest of the tournament.

Jinny! Thanks for the info about the article. The link is: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2006-01-18/200601181137574362543.html
and it's pretty nice. :)

jole
01-19-2006, 03:20 AM
Ummm yea.

Dominik has lost the last 2 sets letting Norman break him for the set. He is currently down 1-0 in the fifth. This could get ugly. :sad:

linus
01-19-2006, 04:40 AM
what a wonderful match, too tough :yeah:

worried about his next round coz of his exausted :angel:

jole
01-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Dominik's body is fine.

What I am worried about is the fact he was 2 points from losing to Dick Norman.

Thank god he won tho! :D

DeccyB123
01-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Too close... Much too close...

What are you doing to us Dommy???

Experimentee
01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Dominik played better against Norman than he did against Marach. Norman picked up his play a lot in the last 3 sets, and Dominik had so many chances but Norman saved the bps.
Dominik was really cool after the match, he really appreciates our support and he gave away his pink shirt with holes, and shouted everyone drinks two hours after the match. See my report in GM for more details of the match :)

Experimentee
01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
It was really tense watching it. Dominik was in control and towards the end of the 5th set Dick was serving very well and I was sure Dominik would lose after Dick took a timeout to get his legs rubbed and have a rest, but thankfully Dominik was tough and pulled through!

DeccyB123
01-20-2006, 07:03 AM
It was really tense watching it. Dominik was in control and towards the end of the 5th set Dick was serving very well and I was sure Dominik would lose after Dick took a timeout to get his legs rubbed and have a rest, but thankfully Dominik was tough and pulled through!
Were you there his first match Experimentee? I tried to get there after watching Luczak, but couldn't get a seat... :(

Experimentee
01-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah I was at his first match. Strange that you couldnt get a seat, you usually can if you wait a while because people always leave, and Hrbaty and Marach arent really that well known.

DeccyB123
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
It was during the fifth set, and there were heaps of people standing in the entrances to the stands to try and get a seat. It was packed.

Danika
01-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Im glad that Dominik won!But now he has to play Igor Andreev.And if Dominik thought that Marach and Norman were hard then he better embrace for impact againts Igor!Because as far as im concerned Igor is a way better player that Marach or Norman!So good luck Dominik!

DeccyB123
01-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Hrbaty def. Andreev: 1-6 6-4 6-3 2-6 6-4

:woohoo:

me_luv_Dommy
01-21-2006, 10:49 AM
hooray!!! this is sooo great!! I'm so happy. Hopefully Dommy won't be too exhausted. three 5 sets matches in a row...oooo.... He's really an IRON MAN. The best of luck against Davydenko!!! Come onnnnn, Dominik!!!

Experimentee
01-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Go Dominik! Hoping for another hot day and Dominik can beat Davydenko if he plays normally!

Scotso
01-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Dominik is moving through on pure guts. Too bad he has to play an equally gutsy player in the next round (and one of my favorites).

jole
01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
They both have a lot of guts, but Dominik's fitness is supreme. :p

Danika
01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow what a great win for Dom!Im so happy for him!Did any of you watch the match?When Dominik went to serve for the match Igor just stepped back and let Dom win he did not even try to return his serve!It was really weird because I have never seen anybody just give up a match like that!But that was the only point he gave up on and it was the last point!And at the end of the match I thought that Igor was going to pass out!So next up is Davydenko thats going to be really tough match!But like Experimentee said lets hope for a really hot day!Because last year when Davydenko played Andy Roddick in the hot heat poor Davydenko could not even breath!I mean I dont want Nikolay to have problems breathing I just want Dom to beat him!

DeccyB123
01-21-2006, 11:33 PM
They both have a lot of guts, but Dominik's fitness is supreme. :p
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Experimentee
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I have posted more Dominik pics in my Aus Open report thread in GM :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
01-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Well done man! :yeah:

jole
01-23-2006, 04:01 AM
So unfortunate...

Frankly, that match was Dominik's all the way, and he didn't close it out when he had a chance. As time went on Dominik's play got worse, and Davydenko's got better.

Oh well, shit happens, but this was such a great chance. :sad:

DeccyB123
01-23-2006, 04:30 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bad Luck Hrbaty!

Scotso
01-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Tough loss. :( But 4th round is acceptable.

Danika
01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Dominik definitely should have won this match!!!And it really suck the he lost!But the 4th round is not that bad I guess.

me_luv_Dommy
01-24-2006, 01:17 PM
oMggg I really missed this. Yuppp it was sooo close. He really had a chance...but so sad he let it slipped. :sad: Did anyone got to see the match??? But right 4th round is just great!

Experimentee
01-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Dominik :sad:
He really should have closed it out in the 3rd set, he was completely outplaying Davydenko.
It was a great effort this tournament, considering he had to come back and win in 5 sets in 3 rounds in extreme heat, didnt get any sleep after the Andreev match, and had blisters in the Davydenko match.

Having seen all his matches this tournament and experiencing the conditions myself, I dont know how he did it, and I'm in awe of this amazing fighter and fitness machine. In each of his first 3 rounds, there was a point where I thought Dominik would surely lose, but he managed to come back and win each time.

We should all be proud of him :worship:

Danika
01-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Im very proud of Dominik!It's just that he should have won the match!But I am very proud that he's such a fighter and that he's extremely fit!And he did have an acceptable run in the Australian open!So all in all im proud of him.

Experimentee
01-31-2006, 07:21 AM
I have posted more Dominik pics from his matches in my AO thread

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=3007978