The Tommy "Not in Rotterdam" Cheering Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Tommy "Not in Rotterdam" Cheering Thread

CooCooCachoo
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Even though Tommy is not in Rotterdam this week, where he should be, I'll still support him :p

Vamos Tommy :p

Next year, back to Rotterdam :fiery:

Eruwen
01-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Ditto! :lol:

CooCooCachoo
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
We should start a petition to get him back in Rotterdam :angel:

andfor
02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Come on. Give him a break for not following the big appearance money at Rotterdam and playing Memphis. Maybe Rotterdam gave out all its cash to other euro players and he just sent them a sign/finger?

Vamos Tommy and welcome to Memphis! Watch out Rotterdam, he's going to like the Regions/Morgan Keegan tournament and Memphis, TN so much he may not play Rotterdam again no matter what they pay in appearance fees! We'll also make sure he gets to see a Memphis Grizzlies game and hangs out with his buddy Pau Gasol to ensure his return to Memphis forever! :-)

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Come on. Give him a break for not following the big appearance money at Rotterdam and playing Memphis. Maybe Rotterdam gave out all its cash to other euro players and he just sent them a sign/finger?

Vamos Tommy and welcome to Memphis! Watch out Rotterdam, he's going to like the Regions/Morgan Keegan tournament and Memphis, TN so much he may not play Rotterdam again no matter what they pay in appearance fees! We'll also make sure he gets to see a Memphis Grizzlies game and hangs out with his buddy Pau Gasol to ensure his return to Memphis forever! :-)

I think you have a clouded vision of appearance fees. Not every player gets them; only the top players. Considering Tommy has never been a top player in Rotterdam, you can be sure he got no appearance money whatsoever.

The thing that has driven him to Memphis - I am sure - is his lack of good results in Rotterdam. He has a better chance of going far in the Memphis draw, than he has in Rotterdam.

andfor
02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I think you have a clouded vision of appearance fees. Not every player gets them; only the top players. Considering Tommy has never been a top player in Rotterdam, you can be sure he got no appearance money whatsoever.

The thing that has driven him to Memphis - I am sure - is his lack of good results in Rotterdam. He has a better chance of going far in the Memphis draw, than he has in Rotterdam.

I think you have a clouded vison of what a top player is. With 3 tournaments going on at the same time and him being ranked top 15 he's a top player if you're a tournament director. Do a little research on how much money Rotterdam gives out vs. Memphis and Costa Do Sauipe. You won't be clouded anymore. They give out more appearacne cash for a tournament of it's size than any other on the planet.

So you're saying he's running from the competition in Rotterdam to the easy competition in the states? If that's the case we'll see how it works out.

Why do you think JJ's back in Memphis this year? JJ did not come back to defend his title last year. Was he a top player last year? According to your standards, no. Insted he chose to play Rotterdam. You think money had nothing to do with that? Now JJ's ranking is down and he probly did not get Rotterdam appearence $$$$. Oh well back to Memphis.

CooCooCachoo
02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I think you have a clouded vison of what a top player is. With 3 tournaments going on at the same time and him being ranked top 15 he's a top player if you're a tournament director. Do a little research on how much money Rotterdam gives out vs. Memphis and Costa Do Sauipe. You won't be clouded anymore. They give out more appearacne cash for a tournament of it's size than any other on the planet.

So you're saying he's running from the competition in Rotterdam to the easy competition in the states? If that's the case we'll see how it works out.

Why do you think JJ's back in Memphis this year? JJ did not come back to defend his title last year. Was he a top player last year? According to your standards, no. Insted he chose to play Rotterdam. You think money had nothing to do with that? Now JJ's ranking is down and he probly did not get Rotterdam appearence $$$$. Oh well back to Memphis.

Trust me, living in The Netherlands means I have an edge when it comes to watching documentaries and reports on the event here and they usually only give out appearance fees to about three to five players. If they were to pay every player in the draw, the tournament would have gone bankrupt in no time. I think Federer, Nadal, Safin are players that are likely to get appearance fees, but below that, players will just have to do with the prize money.

For Rotterdam standards, Tommy has never been a top player. With an entry list closing at about 50, and with a solid number of Top 10 players every year, Robredo is often not even seeded and would for the tournament director not be an eyecatching name.

The reason Joachim Johansson is not in Rotterdam this year, is because his ranking is far too low to get a direct entry into the main draw. Rotterdam would fit his game so much better than Memphis, which I presume would be the reason he came to Rotterdam last year instead of Memphis (especially as he could combine it with Marseilles). If Pim Pim gets his ranking back up, expect to see him in Rotterdam next year.

By the way, I never called the competition in Memphis easy. It is relatively easy, compared to Rotterdam, but by no means a push-over field.

andfor
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Trust me, living in The Netherlands means I have an edge when it comes to watching documentaries and reports on the event here and they usually only give out appearance fees to about three to five players. If they were to pay every player in the draw, the tournament would have gone bankrupt in no time. I think Federer, Nadal, Safin are players that are likely to get appearance fees, but below that, players will just have to do with the prize money.

For Rotterdam standards, Tommy has never been a top player. With an entry list closing at about 50, and with a solid number of Top 10 players every year, Robredo is often not even seeded and would for the tournament director not be an eyecatching name.

The reason Joachim Johansson is not in Rotterdam this year, is because his ranking is far too low to get a direct entry into the main draw. Rotterdam would fit his game so much better than Memphis, which I presume would be the reason he came to Rotterdam last year instead of Memphis (especially as he could combine it with Marseilles). If Pim Pim gets his ranking back up, expect to see him in Rotterdam next year.

By the way, I never called the competition in Memphis easy. It is relatively easy, compared to Rotterdam, but by no means a push-over field.

And I never said Rotterdam paid every player in the draw. We can agree to disagree. Rotterdam has and pays more cash for it's fields top players (more than 3 to 5 players) in appearance fees than any tournament on the planet. That's the plain and simple truth. I never said it was a bad thing and just because they pay big money in appearance fees does not mean they will go bankrupt. That's why you have tournament sponsorships to compliment your gate reciepts.

robinhood
02-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah yeah yeah.
Appearance fees or no fees aside,
wherever he chooses to play,
LET'S GO, TOMMY!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Fee
02-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Well, Dubai has more money for appearance fees than Rotterdam, so there goes that argument. As for why Tommy decided to play Memphis instead, look at the whole trip, not just one week. Tommy is playing San Jose, Memphis and Las Vegas, before he heads to Indian Wells. He was featured on all of these tournament websites before the 2006 season started, so I suspect he got fees from all 3 of them. The entry lists are a little bit weaker than the European swing, so he may have figured he could get better results here, get some extra cash, and prepare for Indian Wells and Miami a little bit better. If he doesn't like this trip by the time its over, I'm sure he'll be back in Europe next year.

I think the same thing applies to Joachim J. I know San Jose went after him and that may have been part of his decision to play the US for a few weeks (and it kept him from using his protected ranking before he needed to).

andfor
02-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, Dubai has more money for appearance fees than Rotterdam, so there goes that argument. As for why Tommy decided to play Memphis instead, look at the whole trip, not just one week. Tommy is playing San Jose, Memphis and Las Vegas, before he heads to Indian Wells. He was featured on all of these tournament websites before the 2006 season started, so I suspect he got fees from all 3 of them. The entry lists are a little bit weaker than the European swing, so he may have figured he could get better results here, get some extra cash, and prepare for Indian Wells and Miami a little bit better. If he doesn't like this trip by the time its over, I'm sure he'll be back in Europe next year.

I think the same thing applies to Joachim J. I know San Jose went after him and that may have been part of his decision to play the US for a few weeks (and it kept him from using his protected ranking before he needed to).

In a literal sense you may be correct. I should have said "just about" or "during that week of play". Tommy's schdule does make sense. To bad more euros don't follow.

andfor
02-21-2006, 03:08 PM
.........The thing that has driven him to Memphis - I am sure - is his lack of good results in Rotterdam. He has a better chance of going far in the Memphis draw, than he has in Rotterdam.

I hate this did not work out for him. I watched the match. Without seeing the match stats it came down to Capdeville having a big serve and Tommy not having enough power to counter.