Nadal fans - Do You Guys Worry That He Will Not Be the Same Player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal fans - Do You Guys Worry That He Will Not Be the Same Player?

victory1
01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Recently, each year a great clay court player emerged and has a great year, not as successful as Nadal but still great. I mean JCF was in the running for year end #1 spot in 2003. Even though Coria did not win the French in 2004, I definitely believe he was the best clay court player that year. All these players succumb to injury after having a great year, only to come back as half the player they where the year before. Now they are tweaking Nadal game to help him be less injury prome; Do you guys think that Nadal will suffer the same fate?

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Now they are tweaking Nadal game to help him be less injury prome;
Says who? I don't doubt Rafa will come back a worse player, it might take him a while to recover his level but he'll get there. It's a smart move pulling out the Open, he knows he's got another 10 years at the top and will have many more shots at the title.

MariaV
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
It's a smart move pulling out the Open, he knows he's got another 10 years at the top and will have many more shots at the title.
Sure. :D :yeah:

victory1
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Says who? I don't doubt Rafa will come back a worse player, it might take him a while to recover his level but he'll get there. It's a smart move pulling out the Open, he knows he's got another 10 years at the top and will have many more shots at the title.

Movement is part of tennis. The shoes and new distribution of weight is definitely tweaking. They had to do it or he would probably face surgery and that can truly affect a player (Serena Williams is a good example of how surgery can change a dominant player).

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Movement is part of tennis. The shoes and new distribution of weight is definitely tweaking. They had to do it or he would probably face surgery and that can truly affect a player (Serena Williams is a good example of how surgery can change a dominant player).
I'm pretty confident his movement will still be among the best in the game :D

vincayou
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes that's worrying, it might take him some time to recover, but I don't think that it will be true in the long term.

hablovah19
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
No.
Plus he's smart not to come back too early :yeah:

1sun
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
he'll be fine

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
he'll be fine
I feel so reassured now :D :hug:

cincy
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
I hope he'll be fine but I'm still worried that he's playing too much tennis. Remember he was injured for a good part of 2004. Somebody needs to put him on a sensible schedule and stick with it.

peacechick
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't worry. He's younger than the ones you named too, so hopefully his body can recover better etc.

Chloe le Bopper
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I thought that Rafa was already washed up back when he broke his foot? :scratch:

ReturnWinner
01-10-2006, 08:25 PM
i think since now his footwork will be different? maybe his level will drop off a little

propi
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
No he won't be the same, this will make him even stronger, as his 2004 prior to RG injury did :)

Galaxystorm
01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
No he won't be the same, this will make him even stronger, as his 2004 prior to RG injury did :)

His 2004 injury didn't make him stronger but to lose his self-confidence for 8 months, until he recovered it after beating Roddick in Sevilla . ;)

ys
01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I was predicting this all time along.. Defenders never last long..

Some players, like Agassi, were predicting this too..

cedez
01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
He's young. I have no doubt that he will make a full recovery, and come back just a strong if not stronger. I think it's a good decision for him not to play the AO, although I will sure miss seeing him there. I think there is a lot of pressure for players to come back before they are 100% fit. I'm glad Rafa isn't falling into that trap. It's a long season, so he needs to make sure he is healthy right from the start.

propi
01-10-2006, 08:43 PM
His 2004 injury didn't make him stronger but to lose his self-confidence for 8 months, until he recovered it after beating Roddick in Sevilla . ;)
Pf, eres un aguafiestas :p ;)
Sure, but he didn't surrender, kept on playing, and finally picked the fruits of his effort by a great 05 season, that's why I'm sure he will be better player after this. Being so unlucky with injuries at his age is making him a real rock (in mind department) :)

heya
01-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Many clay events, 4-5 hour marathons on clay and hardcourt will hurt the body.

wcr
01-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Nadal's a grinder. Can't think of the last grinder who had a long lasting career in the current era of take-no-prisoner tennis. Seems like games such as Sampras (S/V) and Federer (All Court) are more suited to longer careers.

Nadal has plenty of time to improve. He can get better (more comfortable) on grass and improve his serve. But his style of play is part of his character and it's rough on his body. He's a gladiator. I suspect he'll likely end up with the same kind of results and longevity we've seen with Kuerten.

Sanneriet
01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Well, it does make you wonder. Seems like all the hot claycourters of the last few years all got snakebit after their wonderful seasons. Ferrero seems the most inexplicable to me. After making the finals of the US Open, I thought he had a stellar career in front of him. Now, he can hardly win two matches in a row. It seems as if making the transition from a claycourt game to an all court game is far more demanding than just a matter of technique. You have to change your mentality. Not an easy thing to do. It will be interesting to see what Nadal is able to do this year. I think Roddick is hungry and will have a better year than last.

heya
01-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Nadal's serve and court position spell trouble.
Roddick refuses to take technique seriously and hates to schedule more difficult tournaments. He won't seek assistance from non-American coaches because his family wants him to go to charities.

rue
01-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Nadal is different from all those other players. There is something about him, that makes him all more special. He will come back stronger this time and hope he will be able to manage his schedule better.

veyonce
01-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Rafa's still young and hopefully he'll recover fully by mid february. He will have to strike off a few tournaments off his tournament shopping list.. He definitely needs to tweak his playing style as his playing style can cause him to be injury prone in the long run and hopefully he can find a playing style which will suit him on all surfaces.. He still has a lot to improve and luckily time is on his side.

LoveFifteen
01-11-2006, 02:34 AM
I think Rafa & his team were foolish to have him play so much tennis in 2005. I sincerely hope he comes back just as good as he was in 2005.

Mimi
01-11-2006, 02:34 AM
i am not too worried about him, i think he will come back strong, though may not win as much as last year :wavey: , win or not, little nadal has done much better than 90% of the players, and i am already very satsified with his results :worship:

fyi
01-11-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure Rafa said it straight forward or not. But I think I have heard long time ago that his aim in his carreer is to be number1 someday. This is hardly heard from other players ( who aim to be top 10, top 20....100... ).

To be number1 is his attitude to drive him to be better.

nkhera1
01-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Well if the injury makes him any slower than I think he is in for a big problem, but Nadal should be able to compensate for his slowing down by working on the other parts of his game. Remember he is only 18 or 19.

veyonce
01-11-2006, 06:35 AM
He definitely needs to serve more aces!!! Every player aims to be number 1 deep down inside... lol...

Peoples
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Only when he'll start hitting his groundstrokes hard and flat and storming to the net after each serve then I'll start worrying that he'll not be the same player again.

Federerthebest
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
lol, why would anyone worry? nadal's injury-break really isn't analogous to ferrero's, i'm sure he'll be back in the top 5, unfortunately.