James Blake went to Harvard right? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Blake went to Harvard right?

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 07:54 PM
From his blog today:
There's a different feel to being back on tour again. I feel when I get on the road my life slows down a little because there is less to worry about. When you're on tour you have to be singularly focussed on preparing to win tennins matches. When you're at home you're making sure your girlfriend is happy, that you've answered all your emails, that all the bills are paid - all the little things that go with normal life.

:wavey:

Socket
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
From his blog today:

Oh, the curse of affirmative action! :devil: :devil:

Kidding, kidding.

Fee
01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
meow! Good one.

Ooo, James made a typo or two (assuming that they put his raw submission up, the misspellings could be the fault of whoever transcribed it/proofread it for the site).

crouching
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
"Focussed" is the correct spelling.

idolwatcher1
01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure James knows how to spell "tennis"... (regardless on what you see in the blog...)

mangoes
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh, the curse of affirmative action! :devil: :devil:

Kidding, kidding.
:devil:

Anyway, didn't our dear president go to Harvard? And I feel pretty confident saying that I think he leaves a lot to be desired in the intellect department.

World Beater
its a typo dumbass. :devil:

Socket
Of course, he knows how to spell "tennis," but when you make a mistake like that where everyone can see it, teasing is sure to come.

And I can tease him, since we went to the same college, although unlike him, I actually graduated.

Meow again! :devil: :devil:

Fee
01-09-2006, 09:02 PM
:devil:

Anyway, didn't our dear president go to Harvard? And I feel pretty confident saying that I think he leaves a lot to be desired in the intellect department.

Bush - Yale
Clinton - Harvard.

ServeAlready81
01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Of course, he knows how to spell "tennis," but when you make a mistake like that where everyone can see it, teasing is sure to come.

And I can tease him, since we went to the same college, although unlike him, I actually graduated.

Meow again! :devil: :devil:

Yes, and unlike him you don't have a successful tennis career :wavey:

Socket
01-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes, and unlike him you don't have a successful tennis career :wavey:
Although I'll probably end up with as much, if not more money, than he does, since my career will be longer. :wavey:

World Beater
01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Bush - Yale
Clinton - Harvard.

thats wrong.

clinton went to yale for law school

Socket
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
thats wrong.

Yes.

Bill Clinton -- Georgetown University for undergrad, JD from Yale Law School.

George W. Bush -- Yale College for undergrad, MBA from Harvard Business School

Grinder
01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Although I'll probably end up with as much, if not more money, than he does, since my career will be longer. :wavey:

No you won't. He'll get plenty from endorsements and publicity.

Socket
01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
No you won't. He'll get plenty from endorsements and publicity.
Unless he wins a slam, his value is over once he retires. He'll be coaching for a living, you watch. He really should have stuck it out for another two years and gotten his BA. From what I've read, he was making decent enough grades.

mangoes
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Bush - Yale
Clinton - Harvard.

Clinton is Yale :D . I mysteriously forget that Bush went to Yale :p I refuse to admit he attended Yale :lol:

ServeAlready81
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Success isn't always based on money :wavey:

Socket
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Success isn't always based on money :wavey:
I never said it wasn't, and my hand is getting tired from all this :wavey:

Fee
01-09-2006, 09:30 PM
thats wrong.

Thanks, I just asked my husband because I was too lazy to look it up :lol: I thought the Clinton part was wrong (wonder if he was thinking of Hilary, did she go to Harward, or was that Gore? Hard to keep track of all these overeducated liberals).

shotgun
01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Unless he wins a slam, his value is over once he retires. He'll be coaching for a living, you watch. He really should have stuck it out for another two years and gotten his BA. From what I've read, he was making decent enough grades.

Well, he can still make good use of investment funds and put his money to work for him. ;)

mangoes
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, he can still make good use of investment funds and put his money to work for him. ;)

It doesn't matter one's career choice, smart investing is always a plus :)

mandoura
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Probably but, unlike him, you will not be a celebrity :p .

mandoura
01-09-2006, 10:01 PM
From his blog today:

We have a saying here:

"When one can't fault a rose, he will bash it by saying: rosy cheeks." :rolleyes:

This, of course, is so ..., well, I'll let you fill in the blank. :p

Socket
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Probably but, unlike him, you will not be a celebrity :p .
To which I say: THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!! (If you have the money, who needs the grief?)

Socket
01-09-2006, 10:11 PM
It doesn't matter one's career choice, smart investing is always a plus :)
God bless tech stocks (and, more importantly, knowing when to sell your tech stocks). :angel: :angel:

Clara Bow
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Just because someone canít spell very well does not mean that they are not intelligent. Mathematicians, for example- are known as a group to not have the highest spelling skills. (Iím not saying that people who are skilled at math canít be good spellers.)

As someone who is horrible, horrid speller Ė I tend to defend those who are not very good at it. But maybe I am just a bad speller because I am dumb, which could very well be the case. ;)

Eh- anyway- it was just a couple of typos.

Socket
01-09-2006, 10:15 PM
I think we're all just having some fun at James's expense, not questioning his smarts.

Fee
01-09-2006, 10:22 PM
1. Mandoura, I love you
2. Stop!!! Y'all are beginning to sound like an Andre Agassi commercial
3. and, even worse, this is giving RDucky/MikeJones/JerrySienfeld/IdentityCrisis more vCash.

As Officer Barbrady would say, move along, nothing to see here.

:lol:

Clara Bow
01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I think we're all just having some fun at James's expense, not questioning his smarts.

Oh- I didn't think that anyone was really saying that James had a low IQ or anything.

I was just pointing out that there is often sometimes common perception that ability to spell or the lack of ability to spell is an indicator of intelligence when that is not always the case. Sorry for kinda going off on a tangent.

But if we are going to snark on the blog...I noticed that he has a heavy reliance on the word tricky or forms of the word tricky in his second entry. James- might wanna get a thesaurus.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
3. and, even worse, this is giving RDucky/MikeJones/JerrySienfeld/IdentityCrisis more vCash.

:lol:

yeah because vCash is worth something :D

mandoura
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
To which I say: THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!! (If you have the money, who needs the grief?)

:haha: I can't argue with that.

jayrhum
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I now wat u fill Jerry. Me to is very jalous of James. Ladiz love im. He iz just to much. Life iz unfair. :crying2:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
its a typo dumbass. :devil:

no kidding :retard:

SwissMister1
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
thanks for the info, "sienfeld" :D

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info, "sienfeld" :D

World Beater
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
no kidding :retard:
:retard:

focussed

no kidding :rolleyes:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
:retard:

focussed

no kidding :o

Focused is used mainly :wavey:

World Beater
01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Focused is used mainly :wavey:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=focussed

yes there are alternatives. no need to correct james here.

Socket
01-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I now wat u fill Jerry. Me to is very jalous of James. Ladiz love im. He iz just to much. Life iz unfair. :crying2:
Oh, look everybody, a Yalie!

:devil: :devil:

mangoes
01-09-2006, 10:56 PM

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: ...............now let me go look for the latest Lleyton thread :devil: :lol:

michelleg
01-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Heck, everyone knows that's a Gator or a Nole talking there....daddy didnt quite have enough to donate to the endowment to get him into Yale...

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe James was typing quickly and made some typos and the ATP copy editors didn't catch it? :o

bad gambler
01-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Jimmy B :(

mandoura
01-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Prabu, what are you doing here? :eek: :(

Congratulations sweetie. :hug:

heya
01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
:sad: He didn't type, "Come on!" or kiss the ground.

cornellboy
01-10-2006, 04:24 AM
I'm going to Harvard (Law School) next year, and I make typos all the tiem <--look, there's one right now!

alfonsojose
01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
:yawn: we need more sex threads

yomike
01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I have always placed Ivy leagues so high but then I discovered that Bush went to Yale and he is not very bright.

Clara Bow
01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Bush went to Yale and he is not very bright

Bush was a legacy at Yale (meaning his father attended there...and I think his grandfather did as well) and not only was he a legacy, but his father was already an important mover and shaker at the time that Dubya was entering.

At some schools, the fact that your parents attended can make a big difference come admissions time. I don't see how Dubya could have gotten in to Yale otherwise. :p But maybe he used to be a lot smarter before went through his cocaine phase. ;)

mangoes
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I have always placed Ivy leagues so high but then I discovered that Bush went to Yale and he is not very bright.

He really went to Harvard. Yale was merely a stop. He was molded and shaped at Harvard :p

Clara Bow
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Yale was merely a stop.

His membership in the Skull & Bones says otherwise. :p Nuts to think both he and Kerry were members of S&B.

I looked it up and Gramps Bush went to Yale as well...so Dudya was set in terms of legacy.

cornellboy
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Back in the days when people like Kerry and Bush went to Yale, the Ivy League admitted students based not on merit but instead based on factors such as what their last name was, what their parents did, and which preparatory school they attended. Bush went to Andover and had an influential family... it's pretty obvious that he was a shoe-in for Yale

Things have changed a lot since then

mangoes
01-10-2006, 03:24 PM
His membership in the Skull & Bones says otherwise. :p Nuts to think both he and Kerry were members of S&B.

I looked it up and Gramps Bush went to Yale as well...so Dudya was set in terms of legacy.

I know, I was just being sarcastic and completely throwing him to the harvard folks.

Fumus
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Just be glad he wasn't a brain surgeon. owwyy!!

Kip
01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Some catty/petty bitches
round these parts. :cool:

Fumus
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Some catty/petty bitches
round these parts. :cool:

I am sorry, what is that avatar....comment ignored due to lack of Reputability.

R.Federer
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Yale and Harvard maintain their student portfolios very well
If you go there, you're either very rich, very smart, or very well connected.
Bush was 2 out of 3

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Bush was 2 out of 3I guess that means James is very smart then, since he was certainly neither very rich nor very well-connected :p

Socket
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Yale and Harvard maintain their student portfolios very well
Bush was 2 out of 3
That was certainly true of the Ivies up to about the 50s (when the GI Bill was passed). Now, students that do not fit into any of these categories are routinely accepted. They include students with special talents, such as athletes, musicians, and artists, as well as students that help produce a diverse student population, including race, socio-economic background, religion, and country or state of origin.

My vague recollection is that Blake was recruited by Harvard specifically for his tennis skills.

cornellboy
01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
It's interesting to note that Kerry went to Boston University Law School, not Harvard :tape:

Peoples
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Blake left Harvard before he could finish his typing study courses. What a shame :eek:

Clara Bow
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
My vague recollection is that Blake was recruited by Harvard specifically for his tennis skills.

I thought he wasn't really that good in high school and blossomed more when he was in college.

If I recall correctly, the Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships. Which could mean that while athletics can be a drawing pull, they do not play as big of a part when admissions is looking for students as they do in other schools.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I thought he wasn't really that good in high school and blossomed more when he was in college.

If I recall correctly, the Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships. Which could mean that while athletics can be a drawing pull, they do not play as big of a part when admissions is looking for students as they do in other schools.Harvard is Division I, right? If so, I believe they can give scholarships. I know at my school, it was a big contention. But they put academics first and had one of the highest SAT scores for athletes in the country. So the school can give scholarships but still make academics the paramount thing. I don't think Harvard is as bad as some other schools, but I'm sure there's still something there.

One of my friends in law school grew up playing juniors with James and he wanted to go to Harvard too, but the way he put it to me was, "I knew they'd only take one tennis player from New England and I knew James would get in over me." So sure, I think it's partially about the tennis, at any D-I school it will be.

Whether James was recruited for his tennis or not, though, I don't think is relevant because anyone who's heard him speak more than a few words can realize that he's clearly an extremely intelligent person and I think it'd be pretty sad if a couple of typos on a blog could call that into question lol.

Socket
01-11-2006, 03:14 PM

If I recall correctly, the Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships. Which could mean that while athletics can be a drawing pull, they do not play as big of a part when admissions is looking for students as they do in other schools.
The Ivies do not give athletic scholarships in the sense that the Big Ten schools do, where the schools have X amount of dollars available specifically for the athletic program. In the Ivies, all students who need financial aid are eligible for scholarships, grants-in-aid, and/or loans, and there's no specific set-aside for athletes. That's the origin of the "no athletic scholarships at the Ivies" notion. It's theoretically possible that, one year, no entering Harvard freshman athletes get scholarships, but I doubt that actually happens these days. A majority of freshman get some kind of assistance from the school, even if it's only a relatively small amount and a loan, not a scholarship or GIA.

What I remember hearing from a commentator was that James's high school tennis coach was the guiding force for him to be recruited by Harvard for the tennis team, and lobbied Harvard's tennis coach hard on James's behalf. This is just what I heard on TV, so I don't know how accurate it is.

Kip
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I am sorry, what is that avatar....comment ignored due to lack of Reputability.

An American Figure Skater during
a photoshoot.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

MisterQ
01-11-2006, 07:44 PM
He should have attended MTF University. :worship: Get his B.A. in BS. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 08:17 PM
He should have attended MTF University. :worship: Get his B.A. in BS. ;):spit: :haha: Q strikes again!