Oz Open mens event is gonna be a bore... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Oz Open mens event is gonna be a bore...

JCF
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Lets be honest....the only 2 players that can truly match Federer when he is fully focused in a slam are Nadal and Safin - looks like those 2 players are not gonna make it to Australia this year.

So we all know Federer is gonna win - who else is gonna beat him - Hewitt?? Roddick?? Henman?? Gaudio?? Ok maybe Nalbandian stands a bit of a chance, but i don't see it happening.

Think I may skip the Aussie Open this year...

cobalt60
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
No matter who wins it; I think we will still see some excellent tennis at the AO this year. Seriously, why does it matter so much who wins or loses? Let's just hope that it is a good show. Period.

Bilbo
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Why should it be boring??? Is tennis all about Federer matches??? No, it is not.

JCF
01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Why should it be boring??? Is tennis all about Federer matches??? No, it is not.
No, but the result at the end of the tournament always matters. it kinda ruins the event going into a tournament knowing who will win.

Fee
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, so we'll see you on January 30th. Can't wait to go over the Delray draw with you. :)

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
No matter who wins it; I think we will still see some excellent tennis at the AO this year. Seriously, why does it matter so much who wins or loses? Let's just hope that it is a good show. Period.

exactly my thoughts ;)

mangoes
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM

AGREE

cobalt60
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
exactly my thoughts ;)
I knew I liked you :lol: :hug:

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I knew I liked you :lol: :hug:

:lol:

hablovah19
01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
no worries, the unthinkable sometimes happens in slams :D

Angle Queen
01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Think I may skip the Aussie Open this year...Does this also mean you're skipping Wimby and the USO too (since the Fed has won both of those two years running and doesn't look to have any real challengers there either...not that I'm agreeing with you...just looking at past history)? Doesn't the prospect of someone knocking him off...excite you?

How sad for you that you can't appreciate all the fine tennis played by other contestants. Personally, I've looked forward to the AO because, for the past few years, I think it's produced some of the most compelling matches from start to finish.

bokehlicious
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM

:yeah: :angel:

redsox1133
01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
WHAT!!! im soo excited tennis is going to be back on tv, only the aussie open is going to suck for me because i have midterms the first week!! and the first week is always the best

shotgun
01-09-2006, 07:23 PM
No, but the result at the end of the tournament always matters. it kinda ruins the event going into a tournament knowing who will win.

Lol... every single tournament that Roger enters, he's highly expected to win, apart from Roland Garros and the clay TMS events.

robinhood
01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Lets be honest....the only 2 players that can truly match Federer when he is fully focused in a slam are Nadal and Safin - looks like those 2 players are not gonna make it to Australia this year.

So we all know Federer is gonna win - who else is gonna beat him - Hewitt?? Roddick?? Henman?? Gaudio?? Ok maybe Nalbandian stands a bit of a chance, but i don't see it happening.

:D
Bye bye then.

keqtqiadv
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
:yeah:
My favorites will all lose in first rounds, but at least we can have some fun!

TenHound
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Watching the Greatest Player in the History of Men's Tennis at the Prime of his Career is such a Yawner.........I just hope his feet don't continue to disintegrate...

Every year is different. New kids emerge, others develop further, and those at the peak decay. So, wait to see what the season brings...

idolwatcher1
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM

If I were Mr. Ferrero, I think I would be a little offended by your comments... :p

Regenbogen
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
the aussie open is going to suck for me because i have midterms the first week!!
same here :sad:

oh well tennis is more important than a few tests! :D

heya
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Clijsters' big butt and the WTA are still ALIVE, boy!!

Kristen
01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
I like to think there are a few tennis fans on the planet wo can appreciate a good match up in qualifying.... or a couple of talented guys in the main draw (OMG they might even be out of the top ten or twenty, god forbid!). Apparently, these tennis fans don't reside on MTF. Not GM anyway.

basil333
01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I think it would be great if a few of usual suspects fall at the first fence and allow some of the unsung heros to shine through.... 2006 will no doubtly be a year of change with new blood taking over... God can you guys remember what it was like when Shock horror Pete was hanging up his rackets... the Media tried to say that Tennis was going to die... it didnt..... and I personally think that the Media should highlight a few of the favourites we all try and go round the world where possible if we are lucky enough to see - as there are some great personalities out there dying to be put on centre stage infront of ESPN to strut their stuff...

Fingers crossed for a Great Entertaining 2006 with MANY new Champions.

May Roger Federer remain a healthy being.

Fee
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I know I'm holding out for a Ginepri - Gimelstob final.

(if you really believe that, I have a bridge...)

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I know I'm holding out for a Ginepri - Gimelstob final.
(if you really believe that, I have a bridge...)
Puhleaze Fee. We know you want a stud-fest "JMG - Ginepri" final. So...what kind of bridge do you have?

Fee
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
JMG's not going to Aus Open. It's a small bridge, made of gold. The leprechauns use it when they come to visit me.

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
JMG's not going to Aus Open. It's a small bridge, made of gold. The leprechauns use it when they come to visit me.
oooh...your bridge sounds so pretty. Are you selling it? Do the leprechauns come with it? I already have too many leprechauns, I can't take anymore. I'm sure my little green friends would love your bridge though.

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Seriously, I didn't know JMG wasn't going to Oz. Is he injured, or is he retiring?

Clara Bow
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Personally, I've looked forward to the AO because, for the past few years, I think it's produced some of the most compelling matches from start to finish.

Me too- there have really been some great matches there the past several years. I can't wait for the draws to come out and start conjecturing what could be exciting matches.

Fee
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Seriously, I didn't know JMG wasn't going to Oz. Is he injured, or is he retiring?

Injured, not retiring at all (he's only 28). Itching to get back on court actually, by the sounds of it.

No, you can't have my bridge because you didn't believe that I really wanted a Gin-Gim final. Maybe next time.

vincayou
01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
My only problem is that matchs are during the night. Otherwise, all the teens who came through last year (Novak, Gasquet, Monfils, Murray, Berdych) are gonna be there, and it will be enough to entertain me. :)

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
No, you can't have my bridge because you didn't believe that I really wanted a Gin-Gim final. Maybe next time.
Well, it's not like you can blame me. Who in their right mind wants to see Gim in a final? :ras: Hmpfh! Fine keep your bridge. I found an even prettier one on E-bay anyway. Ooh and it's a buy it now. I just love buy it nows.

Fee
01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
I want to see Gimel in finals, but not Aus because it would be a sign of the Apocalypse and we would all have to get the bottled water and canned goods and hide in our bomb shelters. :D

uNIVERSE mAN
01-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Watching the Greatest Player in the History of Men's Tennis at the Prime of his Career is such a Yawner.........I just hope his feet don't continue to disintegrate...

Every year is different. New kids emerge, others develop further, and those at the peak decay. So, wait to see what the season brings...

Looks like the maggots have run their course with Ferrero.

NicoFan
01-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think that it matters who is in the finals.

I love the first round matches with the out of the top ten guys. Some awesome matches.

The problem is that we don't see them on TV. All we see are the top five guys. Who usually roll until the QFs. Kind of sucks.

wowfed
01-10-2006, 12:27 AM

Last year at around this time no one were talking about Safin or Nadal as opponents who could beat Federer. Did any one imagine Nalbandian winning Masters cup when he wasn't even qualified in the first place.. Their feats last year have changed all the equations. May be(may be not) there will be new players who could do it this year. If you just speculate or assume the winner and call the whole event a bore thats your stupidity. If you are so narrow minded then u might as well stop watching tennis and stop writing such useless messages.. :devil:

heya
01-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Idiot Pat McEnroe will call the winner, "Underrated."

Billabong
01-10-2006, 12:40 AM
The Australian Open pretty much always brings the best matches among all 4 Grand Slams:
-2000: Agassi def. Sampras
-2001: Agassi def. Rafter
-2002: Safin def. Sampras, Safin def. Haas
-2003: Roddick def. El Aynaoui
-2004: Safin def. Roddick, Safin def. Agassi
-2005: Hewitt def. Nalbandian, Safin def. Federer

So what will 2006 bring;)? I can't wait:woohoo:!!!

disturb3d
01-10-2006, 02:07 AM
This is gonna be the most exciting Aus yet.
Only 6 days until David sets out on his campaign to the crown.

All those doubting Dave can watch him capture the Kooyong championship.

bad gambler
01-10-2006, 02:10 AM
This is gonna be the most exciting Aus yet.
Only 6 days until David sets out on his campaign to the crown.

All those doubting Dave can watch him capture the Kooyong championship.

but I thought the great robby ginepri is going to win, or is it going to be a nalbandian-ginepri final?

Skyward
01-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Idiot Pat McEnroe will call the winner, "Underrated."

It means Davydenko will win. :devil:

Jimnik
01-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Federer is obviously the favourite but there are a few guys who could beat him, when playing their best tennis. Namely Nalbandian, Berdych, Gasquet etc.. If one of these guys catch Federer in the early rounds, when he's having an off day, then who knows?

Federerthebest
01-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Fat Dave doesn't have a chance against an in-form Federer, I don't know why people keep bringing him up.
Oh, and with the form Gasquet is in at the moment, he'll be lucky to get past the first-round.

idolwatcher1
01-10-2006, 03:16 AM
If Roger is beaten in the AO, does the person who beat him automatically become the favorite to win it? :lol:

PamV
01-10-2006, 03:36 AM

Exactly. There are new kids maturing right now, many who could trouble Federer. However, even if he were to breeze through and win the titlte with no sweat it would be a thrill to watch him!

PamV
01-10-2006, 03:39 AM
Last year at around this time no one were talking about Safin or Nadal as opponents who could beat Federer. Did any one imagine Nalbandian winning Masters cup when he wasn't even qualified in the first place.. Their feats last year have changed all the equations. May be(may be not) there will be new players who could do it this year. If you just speculate or assume the winner and call the whole event a bore thats your stupidity. If you are so narrow minded then u might as well stop watching tennis and stop writing such useless messages.. :devil:

True. Good point.

Dirk
01-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Okay, so we'll see you on January 30th. Can't wait to go over the Delray draw with you. :)

Dirk
01-10-2006, 04:31 AM

Let's say Roger does sweep through the event, you would have to admit at least the bore would be beautiful. :)

celia
01-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Let's say Roger does sweep through the event, you would have to admit at least the bore would be beautiful. :)
there would be no bore. just envy from those who support the losers. or joy if Rogi (God forbid) happens to lose again. God seriously forbid y'hear.

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 05:50 AM
yes, federer might end up winning the whole thing which would be a bore...but along the way there will be heaps of great matches to see. maybe you are not one of those that supports players who are not big names but there are a lot of us who do and i know i am pumped!!! am leaving for melbourne tomorrow!

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 06:21 AM
federerthebest --> get a life and stop badrepping just because someone says something vaguely negative about roger....if you had any sense u would see i don't dislike him and have him in my signature :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
yes, federer might end up winning the whole thing which would be a bore...

I don't get it... You say you don't dislike him (he's in your signature) but why will it be a bore if Roger wins Oz with his wonderful and delightful tennis ? :o :angel:

Federerthebest
01-10-2006, 06:39 AM
I don't get it... You say you don't dislike him (he's in your signature) but why will it be a bore if Roger wins Oz with his wonderful and delightful tennis ?

Don't waste your time making logical arguments against :retard:s. ;)

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 06:52 AM
I don't get it... You say you don't dislike him (he's in your signature) but why will it be a bore if Roger wins Oz with his wonderful and delightful tennis ? :o :angel:

don't get me wrong, i think he's a great guy and a great player so he is in my sig...but he's not my FAVOURITE and i do like to see other up and coming ppl challenge him. too much domination is also not good for the sport, as i have said before. but that is not roger's fault, it's up to the other guys to try and beat him.

that's all.

i don't consider myself a retard for having that opinion, and if u do then that's your problem, not mine.

ExpectedWinner
01-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Don't watch. Switch to chess or fishing.

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't watch. Switch to chess or fishing.

i'll have far better things to do at the Australian Open

liptea
01-10-2006, 07:08 AM
maybe Carlos Moya will win.

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Why are you guys so hard on certain people for having an opinion... :confused:
In any sports event, the tension is that much higher when there is not a very clear favorite. Most people do agree with that, don't they? So why are some of you so tough on others for voicing that opinion?

Wouldn't it be more fun if we could see a fully fit Safin defending his title? Sure it would.
That's not to say that it stops being fun watching Federer showing his excellence but having a very strong favorite before the event even begins is always just a bit boring (for me anyway).

I'm a Schumacher (F1) fan but the year he dominated (2004) was utterly boring for me too. I prefer the years where he got a good challenge from others (Hakinnen , Hill,...).
Same in cycling and the TdF: I admire Armstrong but for the last 5 years or so, the fact that the winner was practically known from the beginning took a lot of fun out of the event.

But on the other hand...no doubt that we'll be able to see a number of fun matches in the AO and we might get a few surprises along the way. If you just focus on the final winner, than it's probably going to be boring but the road to that victory will hopefully be fun!

prima donna
01-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Why are you guys so hard on certain people for having an opinion... :confused:
In any sports event, the tension is that much higher when there is not a very clear favorite. Most people do agree with that, don't they? So why are some of you so tough on others for voicing that opinion?

Wouldn't it be more fun if we could see a fully fit Safin defending his title? Sure it would.
That's not to say that it stops being fun watching Federer showing his excellence but having a very strong favorite before the event even begins is always just a bit boring (for me anyway).

I'm a Schumacher (F1) fan but the year he dominated (2004) was utterly boring for me too. I prefer the years where he got a good challenge from others (Hakinnen , Hill,...).
Same in cycling and the TdF: I admire Armstrong but for the last 5 years or so, the fact that the winner was practically known from the beginning took a lot of fun out of the event.

But on the other hand...no doubt that we'll be able to see a number of fun matches in the AO and we might get a few surprises along the way. If you just focus on the final winner, than it's probably going to be boring but the road to that victory will hopefully be fun!

I completely disagree.

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 07:26 AM
too much domination is also not good for the sport,

As NYtennisfan wrote one day (something like this): "domination is never good in sport, unless it is your fave who dominate" :p

Not sure you'd have the same language if Rafa was dominating tennis world... :o

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I completely disagree.
How cute

prima donna
01-10-2006, 07:28 AM
How cute
You could not be anymore wrong.

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 07:29 AM
As NYtennisfan wrote one day (something like this): "domination is never good in sport, unless it is your fave who dominate" :p

actually i would...i think the fact that he and roger won all the masters except 1 last year is bad for the sport. doesn't mean i don't like rafa...he's one of my faves, but i can understand that some ppl would find him winning all the time dead boring.

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure of that, JMP.

As I said earlier, in F1, I have a clear favorite and I DID find his utter domination in 2004 BORING.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see my favorites winning and winning a lot but it is just more fun to see that happen after a good match, a strong challenge.

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 07:32 AM
You could not be anymore wrong.
Okay, so you're not cute.

prima donna
01-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Okay, so you're not cute.
But, you are horribly mistaken here.

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 07:33 AM
same as me Castafiore...i was a schumi fan too...but in 2004 i was actually put off watching it cos he was winning all the time, even tho i liked him...it was just too boring

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love to see my favorites winning and winning a lot but it is just more fun to see that happen after a good match, a strong challenge.

Do you really expect Roger winnig Oz without loosing a single game or what ??

Of course he's the huge favorite, but to take back this title he'll have to fight to hell even if Marat and Rafa are not in the draw... :) So where's the boring tennis in that ?

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Do you really expect Roger winnig Oz without loosing a single game or what ??

Of course he's the huge favorite, but to take back this title he'll have to fight to hell even if Marat and Rafa are not in the draw... :) So where's the boring tennis in that ?
You guys don't read other opinions, do you?

Did I say that I expect Roger to win the AO without dropping a game? No
Did I say that it's going to be utterly boring if he wins it? No, go back and read that I did mention that even if he wins it, we will probably see a lot of fun matches along the way. The Wimbledon final 2005 was predictable as hell but it was still fun to watch Roger playing "in the zone".
That said: I prefer to have more tension before a major sports event. Maybe you disagree with me...fine but don't dismiss other opinions that easily.

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 07:44 AM

Did I say that it's going to be utterly boring if he wins it? No, go back and read that I did mention that even if he wins it, we will probably see a lot of fun matches along the way. The Wimbledon final 2005 was predictable as hell but it was still fun to watch Roger playing "in the zone".
That said: I prefer to have more tension before a major sports event. Maybe you disagree with me...fine but don't dismiss other opinions that easily.

thank God there are some ppl around here who are not narrow-minded fans and have broader opinions

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 07:52 AM

So... You say you expect to see great tennis and you know Roger will have a tough job there...
So how can you say that it will be kind of bore (you said that !) ? :secret: I guess it's because your fave should withdraw, isn't it ?

yanchr
01-10-2006, 07:58 AM

ahhhhhhh God pls save me :bolt:
;)

Puschkin
01-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Besides, I saw three of Roger's matches from Qatar (Santoro, Haas and Monfils) and none of them was boring.

Castafiore
01-10-2006, 08:12 AM
How did you score at school at comprehensive reading, JMPower?

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
How did you score at school at comprehensive reading, JMPower?

What's wrong with what I wrote ? Emilita said she never talked about bore, it' not true, she did... :wavey:

Emilita: "yes, federer might end up winning the whole thing which would be a bore..."

CooCooCachoo
01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
:shrug:

It won't be a bore :ras:

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 10:36 AM
What's wrong with what I wrote ? Emilita said she never talked about bore, it' not true, she did... :wavey:

Emilita: "yes, federer might end up winning the whole thing which would be a bore..."

FFS :rolleyes: GO BACK AND READ THE MESSAGES

where did i say i didn't talk about it being a bore...of course i said it would be boring if he kept winning, that was the point of my original post...so what?

some of the federer fans need to seriously chill a bit and not be so defensive. believe it or not, there are other players and just because roger might not be my ALL TIME FAVOURITE and i don't worship him, doesn't mean i'm some kind of retard. i like tennis for tennis, not just for federer and if there is too much domination, (by whoever...at the moment it happens to be federer) i think it's bad for tennis. full stop.

please read messages properly and get your facts right before posting further

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Finally I get what you mean Emilita !!! What you don't like is domination... So ATP/ITF should not give two times a title to the same player, after all they are all tennis pros and everyone deserve to win something... It would be fairer for everyone... :)

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Finally I get what you mean Emilita !!! What you don't like is domination... So ATP/ITF should not give two times a title to the same player, after all they are all tennis pros and everyone deserve to win something... It would be fairer for everyone... :)

oh yes!! that's exactly what i mean!!! :rolleyes: :retard:

i'm not even going to waste my time responding to this rubbish

bokehlicious
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM
:)

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
some of the federer fans need to seriously chill a bit and not be so defensive. believe it or not, there are other players and just because roger might not be my ALL TIME FAVOURITE and i don't worship him, doesn't mean i'm some kind of retard.
I was informed that I can't be a proper tennis fan, because Nadal is my favourite player :lol:

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I was informed that I can't be a proper tennis fan, because Nadal is my favourite player :lol:

gotta love the Fedtards haven't u?! ;)

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Indeed ;)

veyonce
01-10-2006, 02:09 PM
This article sums up the tennis scene right now..

The Sun-Herald wrote:-

No real challenge for Roger: Cash
By Will Swanton
January 8, 2006

PAT Cash has cast his well-trained eye over the dwindling list of contenders for the Australian Open and pinpointed the most dangerous threat to Roger Federer.

This mystery opponent doesn't have a monstrous serve, booming groundstrokes or scything volleys, but does have the ability to get into Federer's head.

The lurking foe is boredom.

Cash believes the world No.1 is streets ahead of a field being ravaged by injury and as Federer continues his inexorable rise towards Pete Sampras's record of 14 major titles, his only stumbling block could be the lack of a genuine rival pushing him to greater heights in Bjorn Borg-John McEnroe fashion.

"The biggest threat to Federer is boredom,," Cash said from Chennai.

"He doesn't really have many challengers out there; he doesn't have one or two top players who can constantly challenge him all the time.

"He's winning a lot of tournaments easily.

"[David] Nalbandian beat him at the Masters Cup but Federer was carrying a few injuries.

"There aren't many guys with a good record against him. It'd probably be good for him to have someone snapping at his heels.

"There have always been great rivalries in tennis but, unfortunately, it's lacking one at the moment."

Andre Agassi is out of the Melbourne Park major, which starts on January 16. Two men with the heavy artillery required to knock off Federer, Marat Safin and Rafael Nadal, are on the verge of pulling out.

Who's left? World No.3 Andy Roddick will come out swinging, but is mentally suspect and can't be relied on.

Lleyton Hewitt lost to unknown German Philipp Kohlschreiber in Adelaide on Thursday, not a good sign, but Cash said the Australian could never be underestimated.

"The best thing about Lleyton is that he'll be thinking about how he's going to beat Roger and coming up with a game plan, but you've only got what you've got," Cash said.

"Federer is a hell of player. Some players match up against other players very well and some players don't.

"It's fair to say Lleyton's game suits Federer's. But having said that, with a bit of adjustment here and there, Lleyton is pegging the gap. I like the way he has tried to change his game and change his plan against Federer.

"He's moving in the right direction and definitely has a shot. Federer has a few injuries - it could be the last man standing."

Pat Rafter admitted he struggled at the Australian Open because of the suffocating pressure placed on local hopes and Cash, the 1987 Wimbledon champion who lost in the 1987 and 1998 Australian Open finals, agreed the spotlight could become unbearable.

"Lleyton performed last year, getting to the final, but the years before he hadn't done so well," Cash said.

"I played pretty well at the Open but I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't always enjoy my visits back to Australia even though I managed to get some good results. It's not a nice thing to be looked at all the time and pestered when all you want to do is play.

"It's unfortunate but Lleyton and Mark Philippoussis and guys like myself, a lot of the Aussie players, have a love-hate relationship with the media and get a fair bit of stick. Some of it's fair but most of it is not.

"You feel you're invaded and instead of having people with you, you feel a lot of people are against you. It's not until you get out on the court, then you see the crowd is behind you."

Cash agreed the gruelling schedule was contributing to the spate of injuries, but added: "In a way, it's just the nature of the game. Tennis is a bloody tough sport on the body and you just don't have the time to recover.

"It's sad, because sometimes they can really ruin tournaments."

World Beater
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM

usually most are overly critical of federer fans. but on this occasion, a few are acting childish. no doubt.

RogiFan88
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
If Roger is beaten in the AO, does the person who beat him automatically become the favorite to win it? :lol:

Yes, esp if it's the final.

Why does everyone automatically think that Rogi will win the AO this year just cos Rafa, AA are out and most likely also Marat? There's nobody else who can take that slam? The fact that these guys are not there this year gives a few players [and not Rogi] a chance to take advantage of it. But I guess they might as well cancel the AO and give up then...

But if a player other than Rogi does win it, what will the new AO thread title be and who will be the person to start it? :p Hmmm... I wonder... ;)

[Neither Rafa nor Marat played Shanghai and AA w/drew and Rogi STILL did not win the TMC (and many people assumed Rogi w win it :rolleyes: )... ]

Puschkin
01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Why does everyone automatically think that Rogi will win the AO this year just cos Rafa, AA are out and most likely also Marat?

The funny thing is that this thinking is shared by some of the staunchest Roger-fans and his most severe critics alike.

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Why does everyone automatically think that Rogi will win the AO this year just cos Rafa, AA are out and most likely also Marat? There's nobody else who can take that slam? The fact that these guys are not there this year gives a few players [and not Rogi] a chance to take advantage of it. But I guess they might as well cancel the AO and give up then...
I'm just preparing myself for the worst, if I keep telling myself Roger has won the tournament the pain might be slightly less if he does ;)

Of course, there are others that can win it. But Roger is now about as hot a favourite as you'll ever get for a Grand Slam.

shotgun
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
My favorites will all lose in first rounds, but at least we can have some fun!

Yeah, let's hope one of the Brazilians draws Federer in the R128 - then at least we can watch them on TV here. :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
01-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Rainer will upset JesusFed in 1st round :yeah:

shotgun
01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Of course, there are others that can win it. But Roger is now about as hot a favourite as you'll ever get for a Grand Slam.

There is more than one player left in the draw that had the same or more chances than Nadal in the first place. ;)

tangerine_dream
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, with Nadal, Safin, and Agassi out--three of the most charismatic players around--then yes, the AO just got a hell of a lot more boring. :zzz:

But players are usually fired up come the new year so I'm expecting a lot of great matches anyway, even if Roger kindasorta has the title in the bag. ;)

Adam, don't worry about not being a "proper" tennis fan. I haven't been a real tennis fan since 1986. :p :lol:

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM

There is more than one player left in the draw that had the same or more chances than Nadal in the first place. ;)
Federer's main challengers were Nadal and Safin, that's the point I'm making.

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Adam, don't worry about not being a "proper" tennis fan. I haven't been a real tennis fan since 1986. :p :lol:
:haha: I was only 2 then ;)

shotgun
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Federer's main challengers were Nadal and Safin, that's the point I'm making.

The 2 you mentioned were on the same group as Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Hewitt and Roddick are right now.

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
The 2 you mentioned were on the same group as Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Hewitt and Roddick are right now.
If we're talking about people that can beat Roger, Nadal and Safin are well ahead of the 4 you mentioned in my opinion.

Kip
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I take it you've never been a competitor.

I don't care how much of a shoe-in anyone isbecause until one actually wins nothing is certain and in sports anything can happen. And every "true" competitor knows that and will fight.

Otherwise, why even have a competition?
Just mail it to Roger.

For all you know, Roger(god forbid) could hurt himself
in the few days before the torunament and withdraw.

I personally want to see Roger win, but
nothing is garunteed to him or anyone else.

shotgun
01-10-2006, 03:50 PM
If we're talking about people that can beat Roger, Nadal and Safin are well ahead of the 4 you mentioned in my opinion.

Nalbandian for example has a much better personal record against Fed than Safin does. And it's rebound ace, not clay.

Anyway, this discussion about odds may end up pretty useless. Time will tell. ;)

adee-gee
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Nalbandian for example has a much better personal record against Fed than Safin does. And it's rebound ace, not clay.

Anyway, this discussion about odds may end up pretty useless. Time will tell. ;)
Nadal has a 1-1 record against Federer on hard, and should be 2-0. Nalbandian does indeed have a good record but personally I'd be a lot more confident of Safin or Nadal beating Federer.

Indeed, let's hope it's a good Aussie Open anyway, although I'm not convinced it will be ;)

peacechick
01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
WHAT!!! im soo excited tennis is going to be back on tv, only the aussie open is going to suck for me because i have midterms the first week!! and the first week is always the best

Totally agree, and I have a few in the second week too :mad:

It's sad that Rafa withdrew and that Marat probably won't play, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be boring at all :D

federated
01-10-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm so sad marat's out...

rosespower
01-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm so sad marat's out...
no marat...:((....bore bore bore

ExpectedWinner
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, this topic is about nothing. Everything in life can become boring at some point, even sex with a beatiful woman. ;) It doesn't mean that you have to run to a public forum to inform the world that sex is a boring activity in general. ;) Federer will play only 7 matches at maximum. What about other 100+ matches? They can't be all boring. And if the only entertainment at a GS tournament is seeing Federer to lose, then, sorry, I have to call it a fetish.

Federerthebest
01-10-2006, 06:44 PM
lol...tennis has always been a sport in which one player dominates. any periods in which there is no dominant player are transititional and very transient. if you're so adverse to domination, mayne this is not the sport for you :)

cobalt60
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, this topic is about nothing. Everything in life can become boring at some point, even sex with a beatiful woman. ;) It doesn't mean that you have to run to a public forum to inform the world that sex is a boring activity in general. ;) Federer will play only 7 matches at maximum. What about other 100+ matches? They can't be all boring. And if the only entertainment at a GS tournament is seeing Federer to lose, then, sorry, I have to call it a fetish.
I love your name btw- it goes with this thread in some folks minds;)

Anyway- let's all hope for an exciting AO! You never know who will break out from the pack and surprise us all. It has happened before. :D

Mistaflava
01-10-2006, 08:16 PM
who the hell cares if that big piece of trash Marat is in the Aussie Open or not? Who the hell cares if Rafa is in or not? It's a fuckin Grand Slam you dumbasses. Two players don't makeup an event of this caliber. The simple fact that's it's the Aussie Open means I couldn't give a damn who is competing because it's such a big event.

Just like football. Does it really matter who is in the World Cup final this year in Germany? Nope...you will be watching regardless of who is there and who is not. Holland was left out of WC2002 but did eveyrone stop watching and was the event considered a bore even though the #5 team in the Wolrd was absent? Nope.

So all you people who are bitching but are still going to watch, just shutup already and enjoy the Grand Slam.

ys
01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
It's only AO.. Second tier Slam.. The most expendable one.. It's winter.. Skiing time, not tennis time.. Torino time, not Melbourne time.. Rafa and Marat will be back with a vengeance in Paris.. And Andre will gear up for possibly his last Wimbledon..

And I can stay in my tennis hibernation for few more monthes too..

heya
01-10-2006, 09:35 PM
It was shit city at the 2004 Australian Open, 2004-5 US Opens and 2002-5 Wimbledons. Isn't ironic that no one would admit that injuries and withdrawals affected those Slams? Even Miami, Halle and Masters Cup were crap.

They were too precious?

gary
01-11-2006, 02:45 AM
I agree
a very very boring tournament!!! :fiery:
AO womens event is more excited

etiage
01-11-2006, 03:00 AM
i would think that we can wait till the end of the tourny before announcing it boring.

Surf The Earth
01-11-2006, 03:13 AM
I think there be major upsets this year :yeah: and the one thing it will not be is boring. :silly:
I have a feeling Federer will be gone early - before quarterfinals. :woohoo:
I predict Nalbandian to go a long way and a Roddick - Coria final. :banana: :rocker: :rocker2: :music:

bokehlicious
01-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I have a feeling Federer will be gone early - before quarterfinals.
I predict Nalbandian to go a long way and a Roddick - Coria final

:spit: :haha:

tennisvideos
01-11-2006, 07:59 AM
It's rather amusing to read all the negativity before a ball is struck.

You can CHOOSE to be bored already, or you can CHOOSE to be intrigued and WONDER what may unfold.

Although I am dissapointed that Nadal, Safin and Agassi are out, I am sure there will be many intriguing match ups and battles to make it interesting. :)

Marat Safinator
01-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Couldn't care less about nadal but I would about Safin if he is unable to be there although if you look through the players in the top 100 of the atp there is a few dangerous floaters like Gonzalez, Ginepri, Stepanek, Berdych, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Acasuso,Calleri..... There all players who can trouble anybody. I dont like Federer and wish tennis would get back to the way it was about 4 years ago where there was many players that would threaten to win a tournament. :)

Magical Trevor
01-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, TAB Sportsbet seem to agree with you.

Federer is odds on favourite (ie they've got him at a shorter price to win than to not win)

Second favourite Hewitt is at $7.50

jtipson
01-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I think there be major upsets this year :yeah: and the one thing it will not be is boring. :silly:
I have a feeling Federer will be gone early - before quarterfinals. :woohoo:

If he does lose before the quarters that will make it extremely boring indeed.

adee-gee
01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
It's only AO.. Second tier Slam.. The most expendable one.. It's winter.. Skiing time, not tennis time.. Torino time, not Melbourne time.. Rafa and Marat will be back with a vengeance in Paris.. And Andre will gear up for possibly his last Wimbledon..

And I can stay in my tennis hibernation for few more monthes too..
:rolls:

hitchhiker
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
lets hope the draw gives us a karlovic v rusedski to save the tournament

as for federer he has become complacent and it will be his downfall

Jimnik
01-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Well, here's what Will Hill says:

Federer 8/15
Hewitt 10/1
Roddick 11/1
Nalbandian 12/1
Ljubicic 16/1
Berdych 33/1
Blake 33/1
Murray 50/1
Coria 125/1
Moya 150/1

So basically, if Federer doesn't win it, they expect Hewitt or Roddick to win it. Between the two of them, they've lost their last 16 matches in a row to Roger.

Personally, I think Berdych might be worth a fiver at 33/1.
I predict Nalbandian to go a long way and a Roddick - Coria final.
Maybe Coria is then worth a fiver at 125/1.

adee-gee
01-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, here's what Will Hill says:

Federer 8/15
Hewitt 10/1
Roddick 11/1
Nalbandian 12/1
Ljubicic 16/1
Berdych 33/1
Blake 33/1
Murray 50/1
Coria 125/1
Moya 150/1

So basically, if Federer doesn't win it, they expect Hewitt or Roddick to win it. Between the two of them, they've lost their last 16 matches in a row to Roger.

Personally, I think Berdych might be worth a fiver at 33/1.

Maybe Coria is then worth a fiver at 125/1.
Bro can I give you a couple of tips.....

1) Wait till the draw is out.
2) Back someone on the opposite side of the draw to Federer each way, so that you get money if they reach the final.
3) Have a nibble on Gonzalez at 100/1.
4) Have a nibble on Ivanovic (WTA) at 100/1.

hitchhiker
01-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Bro can I give you a couple of tips.....

1) Wait till the draw is out.
2) Back someone on the opposite side of the draw to Federer each way, so that you get money if they reach the final.
3) Have a nibble on Gonzalez at 100/1.
4) Have a nibble on Ivanovic (WTA) at 100/1.

forget all that.
put the bank, house and wife on Roddick at 17/1.

adee-gee
01-11-2006, 11:48 AM
forget all that.
put the bank, house and wife on Roddick at 17/1.
I'd be inclined to agree with you :D