Question for those of you, who play tennis competitively (doubles & singles) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Question for those of you, who play tennis competitively (doubles & singles)

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Its nearly time for me to, start deciding what essay I will do at uni!

I have had this idea come into my mind; How do players levels of anxiety/stress compare in doubles matches to singles matches. Obviously, to complete a good essay I would need to find some differences in how players felt (in both condintions). I personally havent played competitively, so I am unsure if most people have different feelings.

So my question is (for those of you, who have/had played both singles/doubles) How did your feelings compare prematch in singles matches compared to doubles matches? In particular, did you feel more stressed/anxious in either doubles/singles?

Thanks :) Its just an idea, and anyway, I probably wont use it as an essay title. But I would like to know the answer anyway out of curiosity.

adee-gee
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Sod doing an essay, go and :drink:

Ok seriously....I take singles a lot more seriously than doubles, so I feel very little pressure when I play doubles and just relax quite a lot. It's not a lot of help, but I thought I'd say it anyway ;)

Good luck with the essay bro :D

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 06:11 PM
There is more anxiety/stress in singles than dubs, you lose in singles it is has to do with the way you played and in dubs you can blame your partner for sucking :rolls:

Frederick16
01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
my trainer says that one of my best points is that i am very mental tough at big points. so in singles i am not very choky! dubbles is only for fun and i never be nervous in doubles :)

Angle Queen
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
In singles, my stress level is directly related to my opponent. I actually feel more stress when playing someone I should beat and just ďgo-for-itĒ against the ones Iím not supposed to. I wouldnít exactly call it a built-in excuse for losing but I rarely beat myself up over those loses...and just try to take away something positive from the match regardless of the scoreline. In either case, stress levels are moderate since it's just me.

In doubles, my stress level is directly related to my partner. If itís a pleasant partner Iíve played with on many occasions (regardless of our collective success), my stress-level goes way down and Iím more inclined to enjoy the match which usually ends in a positive result. We share in the success...and the failure, celebrating the former and lamenting the latter. I am very fortunate I have never had a partner who blamed me for a loss nor do I think I've ever held a match against a partner.

Stress levels in doubles are also related to if Iím significantly better or worse than my partner Ė either I feel like I canít live up to their expectation...or...I wonder if Iím good enough to truly ďcarryĒ a weaker player.

Also, doubles to me is social and fun and that element, in and of itself, is enough to dramatically reduce any real pressure/stress. It's only when I'm playing #1 and my captain is counting on us for the win that I really get butterflies.

As to which is more stressful, Iím not sure if thereís a definitive answer...at least for me, especially since I play both regularly. But Iíll say this, itís always more stressful these days going from doubles back to singles. Mentally, you have to shrink the court and play a more patient game. Physically, itís a lot more demanding and you wonder if your fitness is up-to-snuff. Earlier in my playing days, I would have said the opposite. I was uncomfortable with serve-n-volley and constantly questioned my on-court positioning and strategy.

And for many of those reasons, I really believe a well-rounded player, even at the professional level, should play both.

Good luck with the essay.

Fee
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Singles - play as well as you can
Doubles - duck! (and don't play worse than your partner).

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone :D :yeah:

Without playing myself, I had thought everyone would say singles. But on the other hand, I thought some people may feel more anxious in doubles, due to the fact they dont want to let their partner down etc. But it seems the majority will say singles as i thought :yeah:

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
In singles, my stress level is directly related to my opponent. I actually feel more stress when playing someone I should beat and just ďgo-for-itĒ against the ones Iím not supposed to. I wouldnít exactly call it a built-in excuse for losing but I rarely beat myself up over those loses...and just try to take away something positive from the match regardless of the scoreline. In either case, stress levels are moderate since it's just me.

In doubles, my stress level is directly related to my partner. If itís a pleasant partner Iíve played with on many occasions (regardless of our collective success), my stress-level goes way down and Iím more inclined to enjoy the match which usually ends in a positive result. We share in the success...and the failure, celebrating the former and lamenting the latter. I am very fortunate I have never had a partner who blamed me for a loss nor do I think I've ever held a match against a partner.

Stress levels in doubles are also related to if Iím significantly better or worse than my partner Ė either I feel like I canít live up to their expectation...or...I wonder if Iím good enough to truly ďcarryĒ a weaker player.

Also, doubles to me is social and fun and that element, in and of itself, is enough to dramatically reduce any real pressure/stress. It's only when I'm playing #1 and my captain is counting on us for the win that I really get butterflies.

As to which is more stressful, Iím not sure if thereís a definitive answer...at least for me, especially since I play both regularly. But Iíll say this, itís always more stressful these days going from doubles back to singles. Mentally, you have to shrink the court and play a more patient game. Physically, itís a lot more demanding and you wonder if your fitness is up-to-snuff. Earlier in my playing days, I would have said the opposite. I was uncomfortable with serve-n-volley and constantly questioned my on-court positioning and strategy.

And for many of those reasons, I really believe a well-rounded player, even at the professional level, should play both.

Good luck with the essay.

Thanks queen :hug: :kiss: You brought up some points I hadnt considered! IE The point about the partner you play with etc, I should have thought about that before hehe, because I am sure if you have a partner who isnt very encouraging, and often moans etc, you are going to feel more anxious too!

ae wowww
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Doubles I don't get nervous unless its a big match :D

Singles I am always more nervous, whatever the occasion.