Noam Okun [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Noam Okun

Kristen
01-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Did he have a thread already?
In terms of tennis, I like his style.
Superficially, I like the look of him ;) And, he seems pleasant enough. Here are some pics from Sydney this week....

cobalt60
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the thread. Unfortunately I don't think Noam is ever going to make it into the top 100 again. I see him playing challengers now. Have a great time. And maybe you'll get a picture with him as well. He seems very approachable.

ae wowww
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Yay for Noam :D Plus he wears the really old style of headphones that go over the top of your head :yeah:

cobalt60
01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Yay for Noam :D Plus he wears the really old style of headphones that go over the top of your head :yeah:
:lol: Andrew! You're a riot!!! PSSTTT I wear those too. ;)

cobalt60
01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Lost in the first round of the qualies.
Dudi Sela and Harel Levy made it into second round though. Sorry Kristen I hijacked the thread a bit;)

Kristen
01-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Not a problem!!! I just thought he should have a place of his own ;) It's unlikely I'll follow his year too closely, but I will definitely check in from time to time :):) :wavey:

ae wowww
01-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Me too :D Plus we get to follow him in the Davis Cup, too.

cobalt60
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Indoors hardcourt Zagreb- good luck to Noam. Made it through the qualies into the first round!

cobalt60
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Lost to Seppi

Maia
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
ISRAEL v SERBIA-MONTENEGRO
Venue: Ramat Hasharon, Israel (hard – outdoors)

Dudi Sela (ISR) v Janko Tipsarevic (SCG)
Noam Okun (ISR) v Novak Djokovic (SCG)
Jonathan Erlich/Andy Ram (ISR) v Ilija Bozoljac/Viktor Troicki (SCG)
Dudi Sela (ISR) v Novak Djokovic (SCG)
Noam Okum (ISR) v Janko Tipsarevic (SCG)

Kristen
02-09-2006, 11:51 AM
:drool: Noam vs Janko. Yes, I could sit through that match ;) Peering through my Camera for most of the time... Good luck to him :D

Maia
02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Dudi & Noam lost their matches today :sad:
Israel 0 - Serbia 2

physics
02-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Noam Okun is a solid player. He has a nice one handed backhand. I've watched his matches at the 2004 & 2005 U.S. Opens. He comes to the courts with headphones abd it's very easy to approach him after the match. Unfortunately, he always hangs around in the mid 100's rankings. But hey, I have to show support for the Israelis, since I lived in Israel.

cobalt60
02-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Noam Okun is a solid player. He has a nice one handed backhand. I've watched his matches at the 2004 & 2005 U.S. Opens. He comes to the courts with headphones abd it's very easy to approach him after the match. Unfortunately, he always hangs around in the mid 100's rankings. But hey, I have to show support for the Israelis, since I lived in Israel.
:lol: I support them cuz I am Jewish. And andyoni are nice guys. Heard from others that Noam/Dudi/Harel are also nice to fans. Off topic but our screen-names are somewhat related;)

physics
02-12-2006, 03:25 AM
I support them cuz I am Jewish. And andyoni are nice guys. Heard from others that Noam/Dudi/Harel are also nice to fans.

Yes, we Jews and Israelis support Israeli players because they are our players!
The Israeli players are very calm and relaxed on the court, very nice guys, unlike some other players who scream and gesture and curse on the court, lol.

Off topic but our screen-names are somewhat related

Yes, Physics and Chemistry are related. Our screen-names are like siblings lol.

cobalt60
02-12-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes, we Jews and Israelis support Israeli players because they are our players!
The Israeli players are very calm and relaxed on the court, very nice guys, unlike some other players who scream and gesture and curse on the court, lol.

Yes, Physics and Chemistry are related. Our screen-names are like siblings lol.
Well I have seen both types of players but the doubles duo were nice enough to sign 2 tennis balls from their stash at 2 separate tournies. One each for my boys. They were very sweet about it when I asked for the second time at the second tournie. Don't think they remembered me from the first time but my boys now want their signatures in hebrew! I told my boys they will have to ask for those themselves;)

physics
02-12-2006, 03:34 AM
I think that in general, the same fans return to watch the Israeli players. Just make sure you don't bother them too much, lol. I had plenty of chances for autographs, but I don't need them. Good luck with getting autographs for your boys.

cobalt60
02-13-2006, 01:49 AM
I think that in general, the same fans return to watch the Israeli players. Just make sure you don't bother them too much, lol. I had plenty of chances for autographs, but I don't need them. Good luck with getting autographs for your boys.
No I did not bother them. :o I was watching their practice in Montreal and a ball flew at me. I caught it and went to throw it back to them. Yoni said keep it and that was my opportunity to say "thanks but only if you will sign it". He laughed and they did after the practice was over. When I returned to the hotel to give the ball to my boys, they were like but there are 2 of us and only one ball. I was like oh come on.... So in Cinci I went back to another practice, waited and asked them at the end if they would be so kind to sign again for son #2. They thought that was so funny that this woman would bother to do that. They were very kind, very nice and very funny. Now my boys want those same balls with the sigs in Hebrew. Ah ah I will not ask again. They are on their own next time they are at a tournie with me and see the duo. I am sure the players would be nice about it though. That is just how they seem.
btw Cobalt60 is closer to physics than to chemistry ;)

physics
02-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Did you go to Cinci just for the autographs? or do you regularly attend both Montreal and Cinci? Anyways, it's not too difficult to get autographs, just requires some patience.

cobalt60
02-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Did you go to Cinci just for the autographs? or do you regularly attend both Montreal and Cinci? Anyways, it's not too difficult to get autographs, just requires some patience.
I went to Montreal with my family for vacation and to watch some tennis. My oldest who is 12 came 2 of the 4 days I went to the tennis and the rest was sightseeing and just enjoying the food. I also met up with a friend that I had met in Miami at the Nasdaq 2005. It was the first tennis tournies in a very long time;) I had started to follow the Israeli duo about April last year. I just started enjoying watching doubles more than singles. I like the pace and the volleying. And in Montreal I had watched Okun's qualies and then first round. Liked watching him but I saw loads of tennis in Montreal.
Cinci was from Sat to Wed and I had plans to go alone and just have a nice vacation away from the stresses of work and life in general. But it ended up being an unusual vacation to say the least. I had been following some other singles players but was turned off by antics. Enough said. Anyway I don't really care about autographs but my oldest and I had watched the Israeli duo's first round match and he liked them so asked me to get their autograph if I could. To be honest although I don't have any trouble talking to people/players when the time seems right, I am too old to ask for autographs. But as noted above I had the opportunity and I think my joking with Yoni helped. And what a mother will do for her children :lol:

physics
02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Seems like you had to take some long trips to watch tennis. I am lucky to live about 40 miles from the U.S. Open. Anyways, I definitely like singles more than doubles. Singles is more intense. Doubles is too fast paced. As far as autographs, it's mostly for kids. Not too many adults ask for them.

cobalt60
02-15-2006, 01:19 AM
I drove to Montreal but flew to Cinci and Miami. Heading to Vegas with my family but not going to really watch tennis ( qualies only for tennis open channel) After that I am planning to just watch on the tennis channel and give my traveling to tournies a break. I seem to have had enough. Enjoy the USO. So far I have enjoyed Cinci/Montreal the best.

physics
02-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Cobalt, Sounds like you enjoy yourself on these trips.

Kristen
02-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Finally scanned my photos!
2 more of Noam...

Maia
02-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks Kristen :hug:

physics
03-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey what's up with Noam Okun? he hasn't played since Davis Cup. Also, what'
s up with Harel Levy?

Maia
03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I think Noam is injured, and Harel plays pre-qualis in Miami

physics
03-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I guess Noam is injured. Harel is only playing doubles in current Florida challenger, so he'll probably play qualies in Miami.

cobalt60
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I guess Noam is injured. Harel is only playing doubles in current Florida challenger, so he'll probably play qualies in Miami.
Yes I believe Harel is playing qualies. Too bad about Noam. I can't remember when he has had a year without an injury.

physics
03-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Yep, Levy got a wildcard into Miami qualies. He has a pretty tough draw ahead of him. He faces Gimblestob in the first. Kadima Harel!

It's unfortunate that Okun is injured. He would of had good chances to qualify at the current masters series. I hope he recovers so I'll see him at the U.S. Open!

physics
04-01-2006, 02:54 AM
The good news is that Noam is finally back! :) The bad news is that he lost in Mexico challenger qualifying, in three sets. :sad:

Maia
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Noam is in the quarters of Aguascalientes, his next opponent is Roitman (ARG)

cobalt60
04-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the news Maia!

Kristen
04-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Quarterfinals
(6)Sergio Roitman (ARG) d. Noam Okun (ISR) 7-5 6-3

LOL... he and Kohlmann (1) lost to Eitzinger and Loranzi in the first round of doubles. 4-6 6-4 (10-5) It's a sucky way to lose (I hate these tiebreaks!) and I don't like to see Noam lose, but I'm really glad to see Eitzinger get a win. He was such a gentleman when I met him in January :hug::hatoff:

physics
04-12-2006, 01:03 AM
It seems that Noam can play well on Clay. It'd be interesting to watch him on clay. I think it's a good surface for him because he's not so quick. But hard court is definitely his best.

physics
04-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Hey, does anyone know how to insert images into the reply? I just found some pictures I took of Okun & Levy.

cobalt60
04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey, does anyone know how to insert images into the reply? I just found some pictures I took of Okun & Levy.
Look lower done on reply grid- see "manage attachments"? That is how you upload pics. It is sort of explanatory but the pics have to be a certain size as well. Good luck!

physics
04-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I tried, it didn't work out. The size and file type are appropriate. :confused:

cobalt60
04-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Hmmm. Not sure what's up.

cobalt60
04-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Physics-( I feel like you are my alter ego or something with your screen name :lol: )
I can't load the pictures either. Since MTF went down the other day there has been some trouble. I will try again later:)

cobalt60
04-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Here are the pics taken by our own physics :p at the USOpen: 2004. Harel Levy on the left;Noam Okun on the right:

physics
04-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks Cobalt. :yeah:

Kristen
04-22-2006, 09:14 AM
You guys make life difficult for me.

Jonas is meant to be my favourite guy, with the nicest legs. And now you go and post fiiine pics of Noam :lol: (Thankyou! ;))

physics
04-22-2006, 04:46 PM
No problem Kristen, if you are interested in the high quality versions of the pics, just ask for it.

cobalt60
04-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Cobalt. :yeah:
No problem:) I had to make them smaller unfortunately in order to attach them here.

Jelena
04-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks Sue :)

physics
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey, besides Harel Levy, does anyone know if the other Israeli guys served in the IDF?

Maia
05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I know Dudi didn't serve because of "personal issues" (don't really know what that means) not sure about the rest, but I guess they did because players that didn't serve in the army are not allowed to play Davis Cup and Dudi had to do some community work I think so that he could play

physics
05-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Levy & Okun will play at Forest Hills, NY this week. I hope I see them and that the weather will hold, because it's been terrible over the last few weeks.

cobalt60
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Have a great time :wavey:

physics
05-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't go to Forest Hills this year because the weather was inconsistent. Oh well, I hope for better luck at this year's U.S. Open!

physics
07-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey I just saw Noam Okun play at tournament in my neighborhood in Rockland County, New York! He lost in the second round to Ricardo Mello!

I just found out about the tournament today! It's unofficial but there are plans to expand it into a huge event! I am so excited! Watch out for it in the future!

physics
07-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Today Okun's game was unclean and shaky. Maybe it's just the tournament conditions. I hope he'll be in better shape in the upcoming Davis Cup next week!

cobalt60
07-23-2006, 10:09 PM
video interview with Noam after his Davis Cup win clinching the tie; from BBC Sports:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5207746.stm

Jelena
08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Noam won his 2nd round Qualifiying match vs Uros Vico 6-3, 6-0. Kadima in the next round!

physics
08-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I saw Okun's first round qualifying match. Seems in great shape. Kadima to the main draw!

cobalt60
08-26-2006, 12:57 AM
And he is into the main draw! I think the Davis Cup win was good for his confidence. ;)

Jelena
08-26-2006, 09:25 AM
And he is into the fourth round qualies! Hope he can get to the main draw! I think the Davis Cup win was good for his confidence.
:lol: Sue! There is no forth round of qualis ;) The first round opponent in the main draw is Potito Starace.

cobalt60
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
:lol: Sue! There is no forth round of qualis ;) The first round opponent in the main draw is Potito Starace.
:o :haha: Hmmmmm. I just took a quick look at the draw and saw his name under someone else who had won and assumed that they were playing each other. :lol: I need to stop coming here when I am exhausted. ;) Merci! :p

JPhurst
08-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I saw both Okun and Levy's qualifying matches. Okun looked great. He controlled the match against the #2 seeded qualifier and was able to mix up his game. He now has a pretty favorable draw, and it's a chance for him to pick up some points and some $$$.

Levy did not play very well. He also looked like he was walking around the court very gingerly (just before his opponent served out the match, he asked for a time out to get massaged for leg cramps).

I've seen Okun play three times, all victories. I've seen Levy play twice (once in doubles), both times he lost. Levy really never regained the form he had in 2000/2001 after he had hip surgery.

physics
08-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Okun Won Starace 6-2 6-0 4-6 6-2! Next Opponent is Kubot!Kadima!Few more victories!

Jelena
08-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Congratulation Noam! Kadima vs Kubot!

cobalt60
08-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I saw both Okun and Levy's qualifying matches. Okun looked great. He controlled the match against the #2 seeded qualifier and was able to mix up his game. He now has a pretty favorable draw, and it's a chance for him to pick up some points and some $$$.

Levy did not play very well. He also looked like he was walking around the court very gingerly (just before his opponent served out the match, he asked for a time out to get massaged for leg cramps).

I've seen Okun play three times, all victories. I've seen Levy play twice (once in doubles), both times he lost. Levy really never regained the form he had in 2000/2001 after he had hip surgery.
Thanks for the info! I have been told by other posters that they are 2 of the nicest guys around. Glad Okun did well today. He has a shot at Kubot! And I feel for Levy- he had been doing so well prior to the injury.

physics
08-31-2006, 03:16 AM
Levy really never regained the form he had in 2000/2001 after he had hip surgery.

Yes, it's sad. :sad: In some matches I've seen Levy play really well, especially when he moves well. If he can maintain his movement, then he can hang in with the top players. Unfortunately, he can't hold his form for more than a match or two.

keev26
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I watched Noam's whole match against Starace. His serve looked good; I think he was only broken once, but his backhand is abominable. Seeing that stroke its clear he will never beat any elite players. Also, Starace is atrocious on hard courts, he may have been the worst player in the entire draw outside of a few American wild cards.
Basically he is going to get routed by Kubot.

JPhurst
09-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Well, there's a reason why, at 28, he's still on the challenger level.

But I did see both Okun and Kubot on the 3rd day of qualies. Kubot was basically a hacker. A strong serve but not much finesse to his game. This isn't exactly the barn-burner match that you'll read about in the papers. But I think Okun has a decent shot to win tommorow. Not because I think he's a top tier player. But he does have a much more well rounded game than Kubot.

physics
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I watched Noam's whole match against Starace. His serve looked good; I think he was only broken once, but his backhand is abominable. Seeing that stroke its clear he will never beat any elite players. Also, Starace is atrocious on hard courts, he may have been the worst player in the entire draw outside of a few American wild cards.Basically he is going to get routed by Kubot.

If Noam has a good day, then he can play very well and has a shot at beating good players. He definitely has the power to hit the ball hard. His backhand is not a liability as he slices and can hit through it. It's all about having a good day. I've seen Kubot, and he has a good serve, but definitely not a dangerous game, he rallies the ball with medium pace. Noam has a good shot.

cobalt60
09-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Noam is in the Final against Sam Querrey at the Lubbock Texas challenger. Sam is a real up and comer so this will be a hard match.

And it was a hard match;) He lost 6-1 6-4 to Sam.

Burrow
04-27-2007, 10:40 PM
whats he doing now? havent seen him for years.

Fee
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Spoke to Noam in Cincy this past week. He was there to practice, support his friends, and work out with his coach. He was injured for a while earlier this year, kind of a upper hip/stomach muscle pull. He is looking forward to the USO qualies and hopes to play well there. He is also getting married in October (and I had to tease him about that, being all grown up and settled down now). Not sure how much longer he is going to play, he's so talented it's a shame he hasn't been able to put it all together and make a good run into the Top 100.

physics
08-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Fee, that's cool! It's interesting to hear this! I am looking forward to seeing Okun at the US Open qualies this week!

cobalt60
08-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Spoke to Noam in Cincy this past week. He was there to practice, support his friends, and work out with his coach. He was injured for a while earlier this year, kind of a upper hip/stomach muscle pull. He is looking forward to the USO qualies and hopes to play well there. He is also getting married in October (and I had to tease him about that, being all grown up and settled down now). Not sure how much longer he is going to play, he's so talented it's a shame he hasn't been able to put it all together and make a good run into the Top 100.

Did you ask him what he was going to do after tennis pro days were over?;)
I asked him one question and got a one sentence response;) He was probably thinking who the hell is this old woman? :scratch: I was thinking good grief at least this old woman knows who you are :ras: :haha:
I wish him well in the USOpen qualies:yeah:

physics
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Saw Okun today. Unfortunately he lost 6-4 6-3. Too bad He couldn't make another run at the US Open, as his days are limited...

Enja
10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
from Moscow
http://www.rustennisplayers.ru/images/KC_2008/Okun/1_01.JPG

the others in the site
http://www.rustennisplayers.ru/images/KC_2008/Okun.html