Murray's tactlessness finally gets the better of him [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray's tactlessness finally gets the better of him

megadeth
01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Murray's first-round win marred by sexist remarkAssociated Press

AUCKLAND, New Zealand -- Scottish teenager Andy Murray won his first-round match at the $430,000 Heineken Open on Monday but stirred controversy by saying he and his opponent had "played like women."

The 18-year-old Murray made the comment in a courtside interview immediately after his 7-5, 6-2 win over Kenneth Carlsen of Denmark, a player 14 years older than Murray.

Spectators booed loudly when Murray said "we were both playing like women" in a first set in which there were seven breaks of serve.

Murray look startled by the angry crowd response, gathered his thoughts and strongly criticized his own performance before leaving the court to polite applause

Corey Feldman
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Scotsmen always speak their mind, and the truth;)

uNIVERSE mAN
01-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Playing like women? were they screaming after every shot and crying during the match?

athie
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Of course :)
I don’t know how I’d describe that comment but it’s certainly not tactless or a sexist remark. He’s a Scotsman for goodness sakes.

MariaV
01-09-2006, 07:58 AM
:wavey:
Yeah well, gee, I also don't see what's so horrible about what he said. :shrug:
He was self-critical and that's good.

megadeth
01-09-2006, 08:02 AM
well you can just imagine how females felt and still, you have to at least be discreet and diplomatic when commenting since athletes have a big responsibility as the ambassador of their respective sports right?

liptea
01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
hip hip hewrray!

MariaV
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Playing like women? were they screaming after every shot and crying during the match?
:haha: :haha:

Federerthebest
01-09-2006, 08:53 AM
lol
Murray is great.

Kristen
01-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Damn. If only he had Sveta next to him, and she could echo what she said after her Hopman Cup match against Arvidsson. After 12 or 13 breaks in the match she said "What do you expect? It's women's tennis?!". Poor Murray, for being a guy, making a remark that sounds so sexist. I cant help but smile, as I am neither a fan of his, nor womens tennis :tape:

Phunkadelicious
01-09-2006, 09:07 AM
How dare he say such a thing! Such a stupid, insensitive remark!

George_Hanson
01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
What's so sexist about it? Everybody knows that men play stronger, psychical tennis. So if they played match with plenty of breakpoints, with weaker shots than usual etc., he could say they played like women. It's a fact. Carlsen is # 61, imagine what would be the scoreline if he played # 61 Samantha Stosur.

disturb3d
01-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Spectators booed loudly
Why do they have to turn this into bullshit.
The crowd merely humored his statement.

angelical
01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Spectators booed loudly when Murray said "we were both playing like women" in a first set in which there were seven breaks of serve.

Hardly... the crowd actually laughed at the statement. I was there... there was no booing - at least nothing too loud. I couldn't even hear what he was saying from the other side of the courts, everyone around me was asking what he actually said

lucashg
01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, one thing is to say they were playing like women because there were a lot of breaks (breaks don't always mean bad play anyway), but to say he and his opponent performed badly like women is insensitive, yes.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
:haha: That's nice!:D

Dirk
01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought it was very funny. :lol: Good one Murray. :yeah:

Grinder
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm starting to like this guy...:lol:

amierin
01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
With the state of women's tennis right now I guess he was saying they stunk up the joint.

CooCooCachoo
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Well he didn't call all female players pigs. I remember that Krajicek statement.

1sun
01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
quality stuff muzzy

Experimentee
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Murray isnt one to talk, his physique is closer to that of a typical woman than a typical man anyway :o

Angle Queen
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
With the state of women's tennis right now I guess he was saying they stunk up the joint.:yeah:

And I guess I'm another female...who found it quite funny.

cobalt60
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
:yeah:

And I guess I'm another female...who found it quite funny.
;) And I as well.

Turkeyballs Paco
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm neutral about whatever was said.

What's funny to me how many people here would probably be enraged had a certain australian said it and not the young Andy Murray. I guess it's all relative. :shrug:

alfonsojose
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
:shrug:

star
01-09-2006, 02:28 PM

What's funny to me how many people here would probably be enraged had a certain australian said it and not the young Andy Murray. I guess it's all relative. :shrug:

:yeah:

Rex
01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
yeh well he could have done without that remark, but you know, i know a few scots, and i know its just not scottish to not say whats on your mind.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Murray isnt one to talk, his physique is closer to that of a typical woman than a typical man anyway :o
Yeah, sure.

After serval weeks of hard training he finally is fit. If you don't beleive it, just look at some photos, then you will see. :rolleyes: :wavey:

Sjengster
01-09-2006, 03:23 PM

Nah, I find it funny when Hewitt says tactless things like that. His on-court demeanour is a different matter, but there's something unaccountably hilarious about his casual chauvinism, e.g. that "We're talking about the real game here, mate" remark he made at IW last year.

As for Murray, no harm in his message, but he conveyed it in the wrong terms. Had he said "There were so many breaks, we were both playing like women", then no problem, but without that qualifier it suggests that he simply equates playing badly with playing like women. Which can also be true at times, but not all the time, and it's not an inference that most crowds would respond well to.

shotgun
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM

Of course. Murray is just an 18 y.o. kid. Hewitt is a grown man with a wife and a daughter.

Aleksa's Laydee
01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
that comment seems fine to me...stupid Aussie crowd taking things the wrong way :rolleyes:

Lopaka
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Good one Andy! :yeah:

I have a real problem understanding what all the fuss is about. Let’s stop being so thin skinned and enjoy the youngster’s spontaneity. His job is playing professional tennis not worrying about politically correct statements .Leave his sensitivity training to his mother and coach. Should Andy ever start doing play by play announcing we’ll have plenty of time criticize him for foot-in-mouth problems.

If a member of the WTA describes a match with a male bashing statement I cheer her too.

keep_er_lit!
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Someone remind me ... what's all the fuss about? :confused:

case
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Considering the rumors of players using "enhancements", I dont think men want to play like "REAL" men! No one knows what men play like anymore.
But I get the feeling we know what steroids play like.*

Stupid comment from Murray anyway.

*so as not to show any gender bias-we probably dont know what women play like anymore either.

Safian
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
It was one of those off the cuff remarks that are blown out of all proportion. Besides, some of the female players look like faux men these days, they are so pumped up.

tangerine_dream
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank God politcal correctness is finally on its way out of this overly-sensitive society and good old misogyny will soon be back in vogue. :yeah:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM

no, thats Ljubicic :)

Raquel
01-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Damn. If only he had Sveta next to him, and she could echo what she said after her Hopman Cup match against Arvidsson. After 12 or 13 breaks in the match she said "What do you expect? It's women's tennis?!". Poor Murray, for being a guy, making a remark that sounds so sexist. I cant help but smile, as I am neither a fan of his, nor womens tennis :tape:
He did actually mention Sveta's quote later. They know each other quite well from the Sanchez-Casal Academy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4591976.stm

Murray then quickly played down a post-match comment - "I think we both played like women in the first set" - to an on-court reporter that drew some boos from the crowd.

The Briton later said that he was referring to comments made last week by Russian player Svetlana Kuznetsova at the Hopman Cup.

"I was watching a Hopman Cup match on TV from here and Kuznetsova said it after there were nine breaks in the first set, so that's why I said it," Murray explained.

He clearly meant it was like women's tennis with the amount of breaks.

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
What's so sexist about it? Everybody knows that men play stronger, psychical tennis. So if they played match with plenty of breakpoints, with weaker shots than usual etc., he could say they played like women. It's a fact. Carlsen is # 61, imagine what would be the scoreline if he played # 61 Samantha Stosur.
Exactly! If its a fact, why do people get offended by him saying that! Men are better tennis players!

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
i'm a female and i found it quite funny
Good-girl! Thats what we like to see!

joeb_uk
01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
You are right on that though, I went to watch an under 14's football match the other day and half of the kids looked stronger than murray :lol:

revolution
01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
If any other player had said it I don't think there'd be so much vitriol! Face it, women's tennis is uncompetitive, boring and most of all poor!

Not even Hingis' comeback has made much difference to how it is viewed.

hablovah19
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm a female and I guess I'm in the minority when I say Murray made a sexist and dumb comment!! (I don't care if Sveta said the same thing before either !! :rolleyes: ) :tape:

Grinder
01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Women's tennis is a joke, as is WTA World. I went on that board twice to see scores from Hingis's comeback and it was sad to see how many retarded nicknames they had for players...I couldn't even tell who they were referencing to half the time. I mean, what the hell is "momo", "juju", "kiki", etc.,

They were also saying that MTF belittled womens tennis, but you can get double bagled in the semis of the Master's Cup in women's tennis. In WTA the world number one can double bagel the world number two in the semis of the Nasdaq-100.

Aleksa's Laydee
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm a female and I guess I'm in the minority when I say Murray made a sexist and dumb comment!! (I don't care if Sveta said the same thing before either !! :rolleyes: ) :tape:
it was only a joke! hes only 18, he'l learn not to say things like that again :lol:

heya
01-09-2006, 10:46 PM
At least he didn't cause the crowd to boo him in the 2005 US Open.
Good thing that Murray wasn't jeered at the 2004 Rome match versus Albert Costa!

megadeth
01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
maybe they should have a battle of the sexes featuring him and someone from the WTA.

just like bobby riggs and billie jean king. haha!

njnetswill
01-09-2006, 11:45 PM
He was referring to the fact that there were many breaks of serve, so it was a fair comment. He could have worded it better, but it is true that women's tennis is plagued by breaks of serve, where being up a break or down one doesn't really matter.

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 11:49 PM
I, personally, don't see what the big deal is. Where was the uproar when Mauresmo said, "I play like a man with the ladies."

World Beater
01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
I, personally, don't see what the big deal is. Where was the uproar when Mauresmo said, "I play like a man with the ladies."

i dont believe she said that. It was davenport, and there was an uproar.

Seleshfan
01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
i dont believe she said that. It was davenport, and there was an uproar.
Q: Amelie, much has been made of Davenport's assertion that you play like a man. Can you comment on that?

A: Well, I think what I do in my bedroom is none of her business you know? If I like to play like a man with the ladies, this is my own business.

World Beater
01-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Q: Amelie, much has been made of Davenport's assertion that you play like a man. Can you comment on that?

A: Well, I think what I do in my bedroom is none of her business you know? If I like to play like a man with the ladies, this is my own business.

ah.ic. i thought it was a quote about her tennis. lol

thanks.

Chloe le Bopper
01-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I fail to see a problem with what he said. Women tend to lose serve more. It appears that he was refering to the numerous breaks of serve. So? :shrug:

Phunkadelicious
01-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I fail to see a problem with what he said. Women tend to lose serve more. It appears that he was refering to the numerous breaks of serve. So? :shrug:
you are clearly a woman hater. it must be hard to hate yourself :unsure:

Aleksa's Laydee
01-10-2006, 12:05 AM

:haha: :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
01-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Women's tennis is a joke, as is WTA World. I went on that board twice to see scores from Hingis's comeback and it was sad to see how many retarded nicknames they had for players...I couldn't even tell who they were referencing to half the time. I mean, what the hell is "momo", "juju", "kiki", etc.,

They were also saying that MTF belittled womens tennis, but you can get double bagled in the semis of the Master's Cup in women's tennis. In WTA the world number one can double bagel the world number two in the semis of the Nasdaq-100.
What was Hewitt ranked when Fed dished him out two bagels at the USO? I'm not sure that was a heck of a lot better.

Sjengster
01-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Ah well, that's one of those occasions when you're quietly thankful for the best of five-set format.

hablovah19
01-10-2006, 12:18 AM
link please ? :scratch::haha:

Seleshfan
01-10-2006, 12:19 AM
link please ? :scratch::haha:
I don't just give my link out to anyone who asks for it. What kind of man-whore do you take me for?

hablovah19
01-10-2006, 12:20 AM
What was Hewitt ranked when Fed dished him out two bagels at the USO? I'm not sure that was a heck of a lot better.
some posters have selective... what more is there to say ? :lol:
they feel the need to bash women's tennis to plug mens' tennis :tape:

hablovah19
01-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't just give my link out to anyone who asks for it. What kind of man-whore do you take me for?
drama queen!!! :p
face it, Momo never said that :nerner:

Seleshfan
01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
drama queen!!! :p
face it, Momo never said that :nerner:
who you calling a drama queen? OMG, I can't believe you just called me that. I've never! Whatever. :rolleyes: And if I say Homo Momo said that, then she said it. :devil: :lol:

Ah okay, you're right. She never said that, and I am a drama queen. Damn you're good! :lol:

Aleksa's Laydee
01-10-2006, 12:55 AM
who you calling a drama queen? OMG, I can't believe you just called me that. I've never! Whatever. :rolleyes: And if I say Homo Momo said that, then she said it. :devil: :lol:

Ah okay, you're right. She never said that, and I am a drama queen. Damn you're good! :lol:

your hilarious :haha: :yeah:

uNIVERSE mAN
01-10-2006, 01:11 AM

And I don't care about what you think.

heya
01-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Navratilova says, "What you talkin' about, Momo?!"

mojo37_12
01-10-2006, 01:40 AM
The people probably just overreacted... He probably never meant for it to sound derogatory or anything. :shrug:

Federerthebest
01-10-2006, 01:56 AM
they feel the need to bash women's tennis to plug mens' tennis

Women's tennis is crap and only morons like it (evidence: WTAWorld).I'm not saying that to plug men's tennis, it's the simple truth.

Grinder
01-10-2006, 02:24 AM

Hewitt was number 3 in the world and it was a heck of a lot better.

6-0 7-6 6-0

He won 6 games against Federer, a lot better than losing 0 and 0 Davenport who has zero mobility.

Oh and women's tennis has some of the worst nicknames I've heard, men's tennis has it's fair share but it's not even close to WTA World.

celia
01-10-2006, 02:31 AM

:yeah: very very true.

VEC
01-10-2006, 02:40 AM
If he was reffering to the amount of breaks ,well, ok, but its still somewhat of a tacky statement. However, I think this largely the media trying to cook up a battle of the sexes bruhahaha. :cuckoo:

wcr
01-10-2006, 05:19 AM

At least he didn't call it the "panty tour."

Safian
01-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm female too and I no longer watch women's tennis as it's very often boring and disappointing. I don't want to hear Sharapova's shrieks. I know some of the men grunt but it's better than the shrieking that the likes of Maria and others go in for. I don't particularly think Murray's remarks can be interpreted as sexist - he's just telling the truth about women's tennis.

Kip
01-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll just say it's cute to see what certain players can get
away with saying that some others would practically be
skinned alive on this board for saying. :cool: