Anyone been to Pacific Life??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone been to Pacific Life???

cedez
01-09-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm thinking of going to the Pacific Life Open this year, but I could use some advice from people who have been there. Things like where to stay, how to get around (do you need to have a car? what's the parking situation like at the tournament) Things like that. Any help you could give me would be greatly appeciated. Thanks!!!!

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 01:50 AM
https://ssl.atptennis.com/indianwells/

try there

:wavey:

Fee
01-09-2006, 01:57 AM
How much money do you have? If you have $150+ a night for a hotel room, you can take a shuttle to and from the tournament every day (if you stay at one of the hotels listed on the tournament site). Or you can stay at a cheap hotel, drive to one of the tournament hotels, park for free and take the shuttle. Last year, parking was $7 per car and pretty easy early in the event (I wasn't there after the first Monday, I heard it was really crowded on Tuesday and Wednesday).

If you are flying in your choices are Palm Springs airport (about 30 minutes away, check to see if Super Shuttle goes there), Ontario Airport (60 minutes away, you will need a car), or LAX (2 hours away, without traffic, you'll need a car).

In my opinion, it is a good, fan-friendly tournament. The facility is easy to get around, there are about 12 practice courts and I think all of them have at least a few seats, and the outer courts are sized so that just about every seat is a decent seat. You can spend about $25 a day for a nosebleed seat in the main stadium and that will get you access to all of the outer courts (and there are plenty of good matches on the outer courts in the early rounds since this is a combined event). The most important thing is to be prepared for the weather - hot and sunny during the day (hat, sunscreen, water or the money to buy it, comfortable shoes) and really cool/breezy when the sun goes down (sweater, jacket, pants - not kidding).

Hope that helps.

rexman
01-09-2006, 02:08 AM
When I went in 2004 it was blistering heat. 2005 was cooler and frankly at nights I was freezing. But yeah, expect heat.

As Fee said, get a nosebleed seat for the main stadium and you can go anywhere you want. I would suggest 3rd/4th round for men and 4th/quarters round for women.

She's pretty much said everything I was going to. I had a rented car and parked in the lot.

Food is very pricey, might want to bring some in if you can (not sure if they let you or not)

I think I actually flew into Orange County airport and made the drive to Palm Springs in a rental car.

Fee
01-09-2006, 02:22 AM
SHE (notice the avatar?)

rexman
01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Sorry ma'am.

Fee
01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
word. :D

Did you fly out of Orange County airport? I've heard its a bit unnerving taking off from there because of the flightpath (straight up at full power, then a sudden turn with reduced power). Is that urban legend?

nobama
01-09-2006, 02:27 AM
When I went in 2004 it was blistering heat. 2005 was cooler and frankly at nights I was freezing. But yeah, expect heat.I was there last year and will be again this year. So I'm hoping for heat. Although maybe not quite as hot as 2004. The best thing about this tournament for me (other than seeing Roger win ;)) is NOT seeing the Williams sisters. Doesn't bother me one bit they've decided to boycott this tournament.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 02:59 AM
I haven't been yet but I'm hoping to go the first weekend *fingers crossed* :D I went for the cheapo ($50 a night, 15 min from the tourney!) route and pay for parking ;)

rexman
01-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Did anyone else go to the final?

If so, how about that point between Roger and Lleyton. Best point of the year easily.

Lopaka
01-09-2006, 06:52 AM
First time! I'm booked for the full men's week. Not the cheapest thing I've ever done. Thanks for all the information. Being originally from Southern California I was preparing for the desert weather conditions.

From Orange County I was told the best way to IW was rent a car.

star
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree that if you are flying into Orange County it makes more sense to rent a car there rather than flying to the Palm Springs airport. I've been going ever since they moved to the current site -- 1999 or 2000. I can't remember which. It can be expensive, but I suppose no more so than a nice vacation in Italy. :) You'll need a car unless you stay at one of the expensive hotels with a shuttle. If you can book a hotel at 150 a day at this date, you'll be lucky. A little known place that's not far from the site is the Inn at Bermuda Dunes. It's in a gated golf course community. I think the rates there are around 100 to 110 a day. I've not stayed there.

Anyway, the advice on the cheap seats and then going to the outer courts is good if you are on a tight budget. I go from the opening day of the women's qualifying on through to the final. At first it's really lovely because there are practically no people there at all. Now with that they've expanded the men's field and have begun night play earlier, it's a bit more hectic than it was. At the peak, there are 8 courts being played at once, so there's plenty to choose from, and it's hard for me to sit through a complete match, because I'm always wanting to get a glimpse of a player I haven't seen or someone I'm interested in. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to hop from one court to another. Although I have to say that each year they make it a little more difficult and the seating becomes a little more inconvenient.

As for food, you can bring in practically anything. Where I sit, the people bring in beer and wine and all kinds of food they munch on throughout the day. As for lodging, it's expensive right in Indian Wells and Palm Desert. To get the cheap hotels, you must book very early. There's a tiny place in Palm Desert that even has some units with kitchenetts that is very resonable, and about 20 minutes away from the site. The name will come to me, and I'll pm you about it. But if you want inexpensive lodging, you really have to look at Indio which adjacent to Indian Wells to the east. It's very convenient to the site, but it's the working class community in the area so sneered at by most of the IW tennis types. You have to book early though. The motel 6 in Indio is quiet -- but right by the railroad tracks. I know a woman who stays there every year. It's a straight shot to the tennis site -- maybe 10 minutes total time. There are quite a few places to stay in Indio -- some of them more palatable than others.

I've found a really inexpensive condo near the site so I'm quite happy. It's small but far less than most hotels.

avocadoe
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
the flight into Palm Springs is lovely but cost 3 times as much as Ontario or LAX. From Ontario you have a very congested freeway drive until you get near Palm Springs, and then, its easy and lovely. If you go for the second week you may not be happy with nosebleed seats, as you can't get into the lower tier for the big matches, but first week and quallies, as Star and others said, there is more great tennis on the outer courst than you can watch, not to mention but I will, lol, the fabulous practice session you can view favorite players close enough to touch, talk to etc!!!!! It's so much fun...great place, been twice, should go every year :)

wcr
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
It's a great tournament and the 5th most popular after the 4 slams. Like the slams you have both men/women playing and practicing. I prefer the early rounds so I can actually see more players who disappear in a hurry after they lose. Typically, in the early rounds, I don't see matches on center court unless someone I really like is playing. I prefer the intimacy of the outer courts where you can sit in the first row and sometimes on the court itself. The practice courts are great as well - especially if you are a player yourself and want to learn how the pros prepare for their matches. The players are much more accessible at IW than at the USO.

There are great outlet stores about a half hour west of PSP.

If you are not from the area and you rent a car, you can take an early morning drive through Joshua Tree. It's quite remarkable. The desert flowers bloom that time of year and they are spectacular. Life is short. Don't miss it.

michelleg
01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I did the Indian Wells pilgrimage, and found the tournament to be exceptional in terms of practice court access, wonderfully accomodating to fans!

You will need a car, there is no public transport to speak of, the shuttles run from the higher priced hotels (I stayed at the Esmeralda, it was just beautiful, but I happenstanced upon a great deal on priceline.com - pure luck.) Insofaras evening happenings, we ended up needing a car to go anywhere to eat (I hate paying for hotel food!) but Palm Springs had a wide variety of places to grab a bite and a beer, twas tons of fun. I flew direct into Palm Springs, but again, it was part of that priceline deal (check there, sometimes you can get a great deal!) so it was no more expensive to fly into PSP than other outlying airports.

As Fee offered, be prepared for wide swings in temperatures, it can get horrifyingly hot during the day and then wicked chilly at night.

Have a great trip! (P.S. That's us below enjoying the practice courts!!!!)

Lopaka
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks, for all the advice . :worship: Got to admit I'm giving up the trip to Europe this year and booked at one of the shuttle ride hotels. :)

It does put a dent in the credit card but for the first time to IW I figure I'm worth it. :lol:

I've been to conventions and large group events before and I know from experience the more tips and advice you get before hand the better the chance of enjoyment

Any other thoughts or insights would be great.

khyber
01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
word. :D

Did you fly out of Orange County airport? I've heard its a bit unnerving taking off from there because of the flightpath (straight up at full power, then a sudden turn with reduced power). Is that urban legend?
No Fee, not legend at all, but fact. Here's the reason: Rich people! The take off pattern for John Wayne(OC airport) is directly over some very expensive real estate in Newport Harbor. The jets cut back on their power over the billionaires playground to be quieter. Most pilots will warn passengers just in case they are not familar with these "unique" take off proceedures. When they don't mention it and you are sitting near people who have no idea what's about to happen you hear quite a few gasps of surprise/fear.

nobama
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Did anyone else go to the final?

If so, how about that point between Roger and Lleyton. Best point of the year easily.Yep. Saw it live. Awesome. I think the players were a bit bemused by the standing ovation. But the point certainly deserved one.

star
01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks, for all the advice . :worship: Got to admit I'm giving up the trip to Europe this year and booked at one of the shuttle ride hotels. :)

It does put a dent in the credit card but for the first time to IW I figure I'm worth it. :lol:

I've been to conventions and large group events before and I know from experience the more tips and advice you get before hand the better the chance of enjoyment

Any other thoughts or insights would be great.

check weather.com just before you pack. You'll be able to get an idea of the temperature. Some years it is cold even in the daytime and other years it is HOT HOT. The first year I went I didn't even need a sweater in the evenings. Other years I've been cold even in the daytime. One year was particularly horridly cold. But usually, you need a coat of some sort at night and long pants too. I take blankets with me and on the cold evenings share them with everyone who isn't prepared in our section. The weather is just wildly unpredictable.

But usually NO rain!! :yippee:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Question about parking for people who've gone before... are you allowed to leave and come back (aka if you wanted to put a change of clothes or a jacket and some extra water in the car can you go out and get it and come back in)?

Fee
01-10-2006, 12:47 AM
YES! (get a hand stamp)

superpinkone37
01-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Question about parking for people who've gone before... are you allowed to leave and come back (aka if you wanted to put a change of clothes or a jacket and some extra water in the car can you go out and get it and come back in)?

Thanks :)yeah, but most times your car is REALLY far away. But actually, they do have little shuttle thingys so nevermind.

You're going for sure, Deb?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Gracias my friends :)

I dunno, Danielle. I made a hotel reservation for 3 nights in case at a place right on the 10 about 15 min away for $50 a night :banana:. I got one course syllabus today and I don't have an assignment due around that weekend (or around DC weekend WAHOO!!) so that definitely helps since they're group projects in that class. I have one more class to find out about and also the article I have to write, so there are a lot of variables. I probably won't know til relatively soon before.

twahumboldt
01-10-2006, 02:03 AM
yeah, it is a really cool tourny to go to. They have a nice little package for like 200 and some bucks which gave you all the sessions from thursday-sunday last year, but i think this year its listed on their website as being only from friday-saturday. Thats for those nosebleed tickets though lol, the lower bowl is obviously more expensive. My favorite part about Indian Wells is how close you can get to all of the practice courts, and how relaxed of an atmosphere it is (i.e. there is no ushers and security breathing down your ass every step you take). Some said earlier about the food, the security is pretty relaxed coming in, so you can really put whatever you want in the backpack, so pack a lunch.
So yeah, like everyone else has been saying, IW is a lot of fun
-Brian

cedez
01-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all the geat advice. I know I would have been unprepared for the change in the weather without the heads up. Sounds like a great tournament! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy my tickets. I was a little confused by the website. Do you not get to see where your seats are going to be when you purchase your tickets? That seems really odd...