Australian Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian Open

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
This topic might have been gone over, but why does Australian get a GS. There is no other big tournments over there. Only reason i can think of is the weather this time of year.

China also does not have a big tourny, but tennis is gowing over there, is there a chance of AO becoming the CO :)

Flibbertigibbet
01-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Lots of Australian tennis players/tennis interest in the past century or so, I suppose. England doesn't have any major tournaments either (well, I suppose Queens, but then you can Sydney for Australia), and it has Wimbledon.

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Lots of Australian tennis players/tennis interest in the past century or so, I suppose. England doesn't have any major tournaments either (well, I suppose Queens, but then you can Sydney for Australia), and it has Wimbledon.

Yeah but Australian is out there with nothing around it.

alexa18
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
This topic might have been gone over, but why does Australian get a GS. There is no other big tournments over there. Only reason i can think of is the weather this time of year.

China also does not have a big tourny, but tennis is gowing over there, is there a chance of AO becoming the CO :)
No to CO, The AO is the best grand slam. Also There were lots of great Australian tennis players in the past so we deserve a grand slam

shotgun
01-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Australian Open is already a traditional Grand Slam, and with a prestige that increased impressively since the early 90's. It's OK where it is, although I just don't agree with the surface and I think it would be awesome if we had a Grand Slam played on indoor carpet.

With all due respect, a Grand Slam in China would definitely be a big joke. It reminds me from countries like USA, Japan and.. China when they try to establish a tradition in soccer, as if money buys tradition. China hasn't done anything significant to male's tennis history yet. Maybe in 20, 30 years from now things will have changed.

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah but Australian is out there with nothing around it.

First of all it's called Australia. Australian is to describe people from Australia. Second of all, this has to be the dumbest thread I have seen in almost over a year. Congrats!

:worship:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
First of all it's called Australia. Australian is to describe people from Australia. Second of all, this has to be the dumbest thread I have seen in almost over a year. Congrats!

:wavey: :retard: how is your smooth talking going, hahahah i seen some of your work on msn,thanks to olga :rolls:

SwissMister1
01-09-2006, 12:21 AM

there was almost no one sitting in the stands for just about the whole beijing tourney this year.

you spelled seinfeld wrong.

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:22 AM
there was almost no one sitting in the stands for just about the whole beijing tourney this year.

fuckin Steelers man...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM

ding ding, that did take long :rolls:

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:27 AM
what a loser

:haha:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:28 AM
what a loser

wanna see a loser, shall i post some of your smooth talk?

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:29 AM
whatever turns you on bro. Bottom line is, I got the girl and you're stuck with your hand.

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM

Where do you propose it should be held?

SwissMister1
01-09-2006, 12:31 AM
fuckin Steelers man...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bring on indy :D

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:32 AM

he is suggesting it be held in his parent's basement that way he can watch it from his bed and pick at his pimples at the same time.

Grinder
Fuck the Steelers, Seattle's where it's at

Mistaflava
bring on indy :D

not happening bro...Indy blows them out!

:eek:

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Fuck the Steelers, Seattle's where it's at

They should beat the Skins but the spread is too high and Seattle won't beat Carolina the week after. The SuperBowl will be Carolina vs. New England!

Grinder
01-09-2006, 12:34 AM
That's exactly what I called a week ago at lunch :eek:

Mistaflava
JerrySeinelf....before you make any football comments, remember that the St. Louis Cardinals don't play football, they play baseball.

:wavey:

nkhera1
JerrySeinelf....before you make any football comments, remember that the St. Louis Cardinals don't play football, they play baseball.

When did he say that?

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:35 AM
That's exactly what I called a week ago at lunch :eek:

well the best is how the oddsmakers made Carolina an underdog against the Bears...what a farce!

:p

El Legenda

I am just asking why AUS has it.

Mistaflava
When did he say that?

the only thing he knows about sports is the St. Louis Cardinals because he went to a game and held hands with Lubijubutu!

:eek:

El Legenda

St.Louis Cardinals use to play football :wavey:

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I am just asking why AUS has it.

I think that region deserves to host one as tennis is really growing there and there aren't many other better sites to host a Grand Slam.

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
St.Louis Cardinals use to play football :wavey:

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:38 AM

than they moved to Arizona and became Arizona Cardinals and St.Louis got the Rams from LA, but a :retard: like would not know that.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I think that region deserves to host one as tennis is really growing there and there aren't many other better sites to host a Grand Slam.

all other GS has TMS close to it, USO-miami,IW,Cincy,Canada-FO and wimby have all the Euro TMS, than AO just 2 small IS tournys

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 12:40 AM
than they moved to Arizona and became Arizona Cardinals and St.Louis got the Rams from LA, but a :retard: like would not know that.

we are talking current football bro, not how fast you can google information that any sports fan already knows. Feel free to try again next time. Good Luck!

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:41 AM
he is suggesting it be held in his parent's basement that way he can watch it from his bed and pick at his pimples at the same time.

got to love grade school talk.

El Legenda
01-09-2006, 12:41 AM
we are talking current football bro, not how fast you can google information that any sports fan already knows. Feel free to try again next time. Good Luck!

you brought it up :retard: you're not really smart are you?

Federerthebest
01-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Lol.
Because Australia is the 2nd-greatest tennis nation of all time.
Because it has huge attendance and brings in heaps of $$$$.
Because the southern-hemisphere needs a slam.

bad gambler
01-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Australia rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, that is why!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$

Mistaflava
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Australia rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, that is why!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$

nkhera1
01-09-2006, 11:52 PM
all other GS has TMS close to it, USO-miami,IW,Cincy,Canada-FO and wimby have all the Euro TMS, than AO just 2 small IS tournys

So then they should move it to America?

El Legenda
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
So then they should move it to America?
no

Billabong
01-10-2006, 12:41 AM
I LOVE the Australian Open:banana: My favorite GS:yeah:!!!

williaer
01-10-2006, 02:22 AM

what's wrong with australia??

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:25 AM
what's wrong with australia??NOTHING! :D:D:D :hearts: :hug:

(I take that back. There is something wrong with it. It's far away from me. HMPH. :ras: )

gsm
01-10-2006, 02:56 AM

if it was staged in china the tournamant would be best held indoors due to bloody cold weather, thus all the lead up tournaments would have to be indoors, this concept is possible but i dont see the idea catching on any time soon.

as someone else mentioned, a slam is needed in the southern hemisphere so it could be held in africa or south america. there are many pros and cons for an african/sth american slam but i think australia's +'s (tennis history/great attendance's) will tip the balance in favour of australia for a long while yet.

on the matter of no TMS being held near the tournament, of course wimbledon doesnt have a relevant one, ie; TMS on grass.

so although at a distance it seems weird that australia has been handed a slam, when analysed it's quite logical IMO.

bad gambler
01-10-2006, 02:59 AM
(I take that back. There is something wrong with it. It's far away from me. HMPH. :ras: )

we don't live in the ice ages - aviation technology is so advanced that it only takes 13hrs to fly from LA to Sydney :sport:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:10 AM
we don't live in the ice ages - aviation technology is so advanced that it only takes 13hrs to fly from LA to Sydney :sport:Well that is far :(

*raises fist in the air* I WILL Get there someday soon, it is one of my major life goals :lol: :D

Winston's Human
01-10-2006, 03:29 AM

Australia has a grand slam tournament because they are one of the four original countries who won the Davis Cup.

gsm
01-10-2006, 05:15 AM
i was aware that few countrys were winning the DC in its early stages, but i didnt realize exactly how few, this link: http://www.daviscup.com/about/championslist.asp shows that it was 74 years before a team other than usa, british isles, france, australasia/australia won the DC.

Australia has a grand slam tournament because they are one of the four original countries who won the Davis Cup.

i have not heard this before, thanks for filling us in. :)

~EMiLiTA~
01-10-2006, 05:46 AM
bugger off dude!

we deserve a grand slam...we have the best facilities for a start with 2 arenas with roofs. we have produced many great players over the years.

there needs to be a big tournament somewhere other than Europe or the USA which gets basically every other tournament. yes, Asia is also coming up and so the AO is now called the GS of Asia/Pacific. but Aus is a better place to hold a tournament like this at this time of year.