Philippoussis gets wildcard into Australian Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Philippoussis gets wildcard into Australian Open

Luke
01-08-2006, 09:17 AM
http://inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=1192

BelgianWaffle
01-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I think the thread title should be: "Philippoussis gets wildcard into Australian Open... again"

:p

Luke
01-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, wonder when he plans to get to main draw from ranking, not every year with WC ? :S

Fergie
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I think the thread title should be: "Philippoussis gets wildcard into Australian Open... again"
:lol:

CooCooCachoo
01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Mark sure gets a lot of WCs :tape:

keqtqiadv
01-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Mark sure gets a lot of WCs :tape:
And waste most of them in first or second rounds.

L James
01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Philippoussis didn't need a wildcard in 04. He didn't play last year. So it's not like he's got one every year. Plus, he's Australian and still popular. It's a no brainer.

athie
01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I’m strongly opposed to host nations giving 'one of their own' a WC, particularly a Grand Slam event.

shotgun
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM

This when he actually doesn't pull out of the tournament he received a WC to a few days before it begins. :p

CooCooCachoo
01-08-2006, 03:39 PM

I know ;)

Though he can still win some matches and I wonder if there are any Australian players who have much better odds than he has.

mangoes
01-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I think this is getting a bit unfair. He never does well at these events anymore. Why not give the wild cards to some up and coming players so that they have the opportunity to experience playing at a grandslam, since that's all Philippoussis does.............

*Ljubica*
01-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I think this is getting a bit unfair. He never does well at these events anymore. Why not give the wild cards to some up and coming players so that they have the opportunity to experience playing at a grandslam, since that's all Philippoussis does.............
Agreed - I understand the Australians supporting their own but, like you say, - there must be plenty of young guys out there who would relish the chance to play in a Grand Slam. Anyway - I understand Mark P. is injured yet again now :rolleyes: He pulled out of Auckland at the last minute - wonder what will happen if he does the same in AO?

Federerthebest
01-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Philipoussis is a Melbourne-native and is still a big name and drawcard in Australia. And he's had a huge streak of bad luck in his career with injuries and with his talent it's not unfair that he should receive support. So stop whining.

rofe
01-08-2006, 04:13 PM
I think Mark has been given a wild card because the organizers are afraid that AO ticket sales will be disappointing since one of the crowd pullers is out and two others may not play.

Federerthebest
01-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I think this is getting a bit unfair. He never does well at these events anymore.

Lol, let's have a think about fairness buddy.

Is it fair to the tournament-organisers and investors if the AO decides to give a wildcard to some unknown 'up-and-coming' player over a Melbourne-native and two-time grand-slam finalist who will draw huge crowds and profits?

Is it fair to the Australian crowds if they are not able to see their Davis-Cup hero and one of Australia's biggest tennis names over some unproven, uncared for up-and-comer?

Is it fair to Tennis Australia, who have invested hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in Philipoussis' success, that he is not provided with the best opportunity to finally fulfill his massive talent and provide some return on investment?

Is it fair to Philipoussis, who has spent more than half his career in injury, that he is not provided with opportunities to get himself back into shape?

:wavey:

mangoes
01-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Lol, let's have a think about fairness buddy.

Since I'm a girl, I'd prefer sweetheart instead of buddy ;)

Is it fair to the tournament-organisers and investors if the AO decides to give a wildcard to some unknown 'up-and-coming' player over a Melbourne-native and two-time grand-slam finalist who will draw huge crowds and profits?

If promoted that wild cards will be given to the next generation of Australian players, it can prompt interest in fans wanting to get a glimpse of them. With the right promotion, anything can be sold............

Is it fair to the Australian crowds if they are not able to see their Davis-Cup hero and one of Australia's biggest tennis names over some unproven, uncared for up-and-comer?

HIS DAYS ARE OVER. IT IS TIME TO WELCOME IN THE NEW GENERATION. Every player that has retired can draw the same sentiment. Yet, there comes a point when one has to look to the future and not to the past.

Is it fair to Tennis Australia, who have invested hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in Philipoussis' success, that he is not provided with the best opportunity to finally fulfill his massive talent and provide some return on investment?

HUH? If anything, it is time to start promoting the future players because there is a greater percent of probablility that one of the future players given a wild card will be the next major Australian tennis star vs Philipoussis winning another grand slam or even reaching the quarters of another grand slam.

Is it fair to Philipoussis, who has spent more than half his career in injury, that he is not provided with opportunities to get himself back into shape?

YES

:wavey:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Philipoussis is a Melbourne-native and is still a big name and drawcard in Australia. And he's had a huge streak of bad luck in his career with injuries and with his talent it's not unfair that he should receive support. So stop whining.I don't have a problem with him getting a WC into the Australian Open but I do have a problem with him getting WCs into the US Tourneys - San Jose, Vegas, and more. We have our own young players who need the support, and for that matter we have our own veterans who have had injury problems and could use a boost. THAT's not fair.

El Legenda
01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't have a problem with him getting a WC into the Australian Open but I do have a problem with him getting WCs into the US Tourneys - San Jose, Vegas, and more. We have our own young players who need the support, and for that matter we have our own veterans who have had injury problems and could use a boost. THAT's not fair.

deb. don't you think this kind of stuff should be posted in players forum? :wavey:

superpinkone37
01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
good for Flip for getting an AO wildcard. :yeah:

Federerthebest
01-09-2006, 02:26 AM
blah blah blah

Lol buddy, your entire argument seems to rest on the fact that we should be welcoming in the 'new generation' of Australian players. Now, what generation would this be? Todd Reid? The Gooch? A 29-year-old Flip still has more potential than these guys (some of whom will be getting wildcards anyway). The only real prospect Australia has is a 15-year-old who's still too young to play on the seniors. Which 'new generation' Australian player would you give the wildcard to, exactly? :rolleyes:

shotgun
01-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah, Philippoussis still has a better shot at Melbourne than all the others (Luczak, Guccione, Reid, Kimmich, etc.).

bad gambler
01-09-2006, 02:56 AM
flip :yeah:

Mimi
01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
poor mark, i think he is finished :o :sad:

flip_fan
01-09-2006, 05:21 AM
This topic is so stupid, i was just going to ignore it but cant help it when some of the comments been made are too ridiculous to ignore... im sick of hearing about the WC going to the "next generation" of australians... THERE IS NO NEXT GENERATION!

Not just yet anyway - whilst there arent any juniors really making waves its more then reasonable to give it to mark... its where he grew up and he draws alot of support from the locals and australian/greek community.

leave him alone!

World Beater
01-09-2006, 05:29 AM
This topic is so stupid, i was just going to ignore it but cant help it when some of the comments been made are too ridiculous to ignore... im sick of hearing about the WC going to the "next generation" of australians... THERE IS NO NEXT GENERATION!

Not just yet anyway - whilst there arent any juniors really making waves its more then reasonable to give it to mark... its where he grew up and he draws alot of support from the locals and australian/greek community.

leave him alone!

yes. Besides they have already given WC to a number of these hopefuls, anyway!