Sydney & the AO [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sydney & the AO

Deboogle!.
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Well following Taylor's successful Hopman Cup, he is in the Sydney draw. It's a tough draw for all players, and Taylor's in the worst section :( He has a Q first, but then plays the winner of Johansson/Verdasco.

Good luck in Oz, Taylor :D

01-08-2006, 12:11 AM
With a draw like that Taylor will need some luck! We will just have to wait to find out how well he can do :)

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Taylor drew Clement(:sad: ) and will play him overnight tonight US Time

01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Deb it didn't look like to me in looking at your post that you liked the draw. I don't know much about Clement other than that he is French, I believe. Better make that-- I know very little about Clement or even I know next to nothing about Clement :rolleyes: I'm sure you can fill me in about him :) LOL I'm sorry for this stupid post!

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I hate the Sydney draw. Almost every player I like who's playing that tourney is in the third quarter, especially now that Clement was placed there :sad: Clement is a short (about 5'9ish i believe), quick player. Pretty good on all surfaces. Has a very nice backhand and is sort of flashy. He's probably best-known for his odd bandanas, wearing prescription sunglasses on court, and his (very) brightly-colored Lacoste clothes. He's cute, too :p

I'm sure Taylor will have no problem beating him, though. He doesn't have a great serve or any big weapon really, and Taylor's serve will kick above Clement on this sticky court.

OddJob
01-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Yea Clement shouldn't pose much of a prob for Taylor. Clement is in the twlight of his career and his best days are passed him. He's got good wheels but nothing to hurt Taylor with.
ToJo in the next round(If he makes it) could be a prob. Having lost to him in a tough 3 setter in HopCup I'm sure Taylor wants revenge. :devil: Taylor does lead their offical head to head 3-1.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
ok so Clement beat Taylor 6-2 in the third. i'm pretty shocked, considering how well Taylor played ad Hopman. Hopefully he got enough matches in for the AO and finds his game... :unsure:

01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Deb thanks for the information about Clement :) But I'm sorry he beat Taylor :sad: You never can tell about some of these matches. May be that is why I don't bet much and lose most of the time that I bet :eek:

OddJob
01-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Yet another shocker for the day. A lot of my favs went down today. :sad: I wonder if Taylor was tired from his effort at the HopCup. He did get a lot of matches there so Taylor might be physically and emotionally drained. Some rest and practice before the AO will do Taylor some good.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 05:40 AM
:scratch: one little tourney thing where he played 4 singles matches and a few mixed-doubles matches in a domed stadium, should not make him tired a few days later. If he were tired, then he's in no better shape than he was before b/c he didn't play that much and had a few days in between his matches.

Taylor's just inconsistent. His serve determines how he plays so if he had an off serving day, that's what will happen with him, and it hasn't got much to do with tiredness, either mental or physical.

Aleksa's Laydee
01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Taylor lost to Clement :eek:

01-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Taylor still needs to get in better shape and also make changes in his games depending on who he is playing. Unless he accepts those facts, I'm afraid he isn't going to have much of a tennis career :sad: And right now he doesn't seem to want to accept those facts :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't think Taylor needs to change his game. I think the best players play their game no matter who their opponent is and are just able to tweak things here and there to best play a particular opponent. Fitness is definitely Taylor's greatest enemy, he is the type who gets hurt all the time and that's a direct product of poor fitness, so we will see wat happens this year with the alleged improvements. His style of game is so unique that that in and of itself is enough to win him points, games, sets, and matches. He shouldn't change his attacking style, it's a good bet against almost everyone. What he needs is some variety. If he beefed up his ground game (off BOTH sides:o) and movement, he could stay back sometimes, give guys a little different look... that'd really help him I think so he'd have it as an option for those times where going to net isn't the best play.

01-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Well Deb you said it better than I did with the words "some veriety", but that is basically what I meant by changing his game. I didn't mean he had to totally change the way he played. Sorry I'm not making myself clear again :rolleyes: I don't know why I can't post better :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Taylor's AO draw is out. He has Garcia-Lopez in the first round, shouldn't be trouble. 2nd round shoudn't be trouble either, but he has Andy in the third round. Sucky draw:(

OddJob
01-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Yea it's a pretty sucky draw for Taylor. His first round is winnable but you never know with Taylor. As for Andy down the road that just plain sucks. :sad: I like them both but Taylor hasen't beaten Andy in a long time. The last time they met at the AO wasen't pretty.

Deboogle!.
01-13-2006, 03:44 AM
'wasn't pretty' is an understatement. Well I prefer Andy, so I was pleased ;) but it was not a fun match to watch by any means.

01-13-2006, 11:15 PM
I hate it when two American players have to play each other at any time. Because one player is knocked out of the Tournament and the U.S. needs all it's players to stay in Tournaments as long as they can!

linus
01-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Taylor go :)

Deboogle!.
01-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Taylor's first match at the AO will be third after an 11am start on MCA. He should win pretty easily I think. :D

01-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Deb I hate to remind you, but didn't you think Taylor was going to win easily before :p When he didn't :rolleyes: This time I hope he does win easily :)

Deboogle!.
01-15-2006, 02:08 AM
I did, but Clement has been a top 10 player before and has done well on Rebound Ace and stuff. Garcia-Lopez is low-ranked and hasn't had nearly the success that Clement has on this or any other surface. If Taylor loses to this guy, he's in BIG trouble.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2006, 06:31 AM
OMG I WILL NEVER DISCUSS A TAYLOR MATCH AGAIN :o

lol.

Anyway, how disappointing for Taylor. Not a great effort:(

OddJob
01-16-2006, 06:32 AM
What a shame losing to GGL in straight sets. :sad: It seems that Taylor was having troubles with his serve and GGL was playing too well. Two first round loses in two straight tournies, I just dont get it. :shrug: He played so well at the HopCup and now all this.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2006, 06:38 AM
that's the story with taylor - inconsistency. Fitness won't help that, so obviously he has more work to do :(

linus
01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
:sad:

01-16-2006, 03:06 PM
OMG I WILL NEVER DISCUSS A TAYLOR MATCH AGAIN :o

lol.

Anyway, how disappointing for Taylor. Not a great effort:(
I hate to say it Deb, but I told you so :p Still it was too bad for Taylor :sad: I agree he is in "big trouble" :eek:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
He played pretty badly what they showed on tv. I still think it's a match he should've won. He was up a break in the last 2 sets and everything. Very poor performance from a few of my fave men in this first day. Very disappointing :(

01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
I don't have your tennis knowledge so I was just happy that Andy, James, and Robby won :) And sorry that Taylor
lost :sad: If Taylor and/or his game doesn't get changed quickly I don't see that he is going to have much of a tennis career at all which is a shame :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Taylor's problem is his serve. It didn't hold up yesterday, and hte commentators were also saying that that was his problem in Sydney. I mean, Garcia-Lopez is a solid player and played very well. It's not like Taylor put in a performance like Melzer's yesterday where he might as well not have shown up. I just didn't think Taylor's attitude was very professional. Maybe he thought that getting into better shape would just immediately translate into solid results, I dunno, but he wasn't intense enough nor sharp enough and with the game he plays in particular, precision is so important and he was lacking that.

His serve is a problem because he is way too inconsistent with it. For a guy with a serve as HUGE as his, he gets broken a lot. And that's b/c he loses focus, throws in horrific doublefaults (he had 3 DFs in the very first game of his match yesterday). Fitness is only half the battle. I don't know if it's a technical problem with his serve that breaks down or mental or what, but no amount of fitness in the world will fix that problem and he won't reach the next level if he doesn't do something, and fast.

01-17-2006, 01:41 AM
I haven't been able to see Taylor this year, but from what I have heard his fitness really hasn't improved all that much.
And, of course, fitness is only part of tennis anyway. From what I have heard about Taylor is he won't listen to the people who are trying to help him. So unless that changes I don't see much of a tennis future for Taylor.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Well, I think he took a big step by leaving SoCal, where he grew up, to go to Bollettieri. Last night I thought he looked a lot thinner than I thought he looked at Hopman Cup (sorry for the horrific sentence construction). Fitness will help him in terms of injuries, movement around the court, the longevity of his career, etc. But if the mental side is still suspect it doesn't matter so much. Taylor's problems last night weren't due to fitness (though he has lost matches in the past because of it), his problems were mental with his serve. One of the worst matches I've ever seen was his third round against Andy at the AO 2 years ago. They hyped it up (because Andy had lost to taylor the last time they'd played the previous year), gave it a night match on RLA... I remember being pretty worried about it and so I like woke up in the middle of the night and to this day I remember my reaction when I saw the score. I mean the match was simply horrific. A guy with a serve like that should NEVER be bageled unless his arm is injured. So I'd say Taylor hasn't improved much about his game in the past 2 years. And that is not a sign. His groundies need a LOT of improvement and his mentality and serve consistency do too. So fitness is nice and all and it shows he is committed to it to make that kind of decision and change in his life, but he changes coaches a lot and stuff, so yes, you do have to wonder what he wants from his career. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why he loses matches he should win.