Why Monfils could beat Federer... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Monfils could beat Federer...

Cervantes
01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Last year at Monte Carlo when Federer lost to Gasquet, I noticed Fed doesn't seem to perform well against the young guns in their first encounter. I argued this was where he missed a regular coach, someone who could spy for him and give him some tactical advice for the upcoming match.

I was also anxious to see how he'd do against Monfils and today we get the answer. Although the odds are still heavily in Federer's favor, I wouldn't be surprised if Monfils could pull an upset.

Federer-Nadal: 3-6 3-6 (Miami 2004)
Federer-Berdych: 6-4 5-7 5-7 (Athens 2004)
Federer-Gasquet: 7-6 2-6 6-7 (Monte Carlo 2005)
Federer-Monfils: (Doha 2006)

Hola Mr. SK
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
hope Monfils could make some noise...good luck then!!!
Federer-Monfils:4-6 6-4 5-7 ;)

TennisGrandSlam
01-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Last year at Monte Carlo when Federer lost to Gasquet, I noticed Fed doesn't seem to perform well against the young guns in their first encounter. I argued this was where he missed a regular coach, someone who could spy for him and give him some tactical advice for the upcoming match.

I was also anxious to see how he'd do against Monfils and today we get the answer. Although the odds are still heavily in Federer's favor, I wouldn't be surprised if Monfils could pull an upset.

But Murray couldn't do

Federer-Murray: 6-3 7-5 (Bangkok 2005)

:cool:

so, I don't think this is the fate! :rolleyes:

s.m.
01-07-2006, 09:29 AM

Federer-Monfils: (Doha 2006)

monfils still can´t play at the level of berdych, nadal, or gasquet in their matches
that is the crucial difference

TennisGrandSlam
01-07-2006, 09:32 AM
monfils still can´t play at the level of berdych, nadal, or gasquet in their matches
that is the crucial difference

Berdych, Nadal and Federer shared all 9 Masters series titles in 2005, also, Gasquet entered the final of Hamburg TMS (lost to Federer) :cool:

Icecold
01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I just dont see it happening. I dont see Monfils beating Federer right now, I dont think he has the weapons to do so : he has a big serve but beside that he just plays to much like Hewitt to have a real chance against Roger. Keeping the ball in play does not work well against Roger ( unless your name is Nadal ) you need to be aggressive to have a chance and that is not Monfils style of play.

straight sets victory for Federer.

Deivid23
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Federer will kill Monfils, I think these threads are unnecessary to say the least :rolleyes:

TheMightyFed
01-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I just dont see it happening. I dont see Monfils beating Federer right now, I dont think he has the weapons to do so : he has a big serve but beside that he just plays to much like Hewitt to have a real chance against Roger. Keeping the ball in play does not work well against Roger ( unless your name is Nadal ) you need to be aggressive to have a chance and that is not Monfils style of play.

straight sets victory for Federer.
Agree 100%, and Nadal beat him on clay and he's lefty. If Rog displays his Haas match level, Gael is dead. Even if he's pushed to make many errors, which is Monfils' trademark game, Fed will ace and volley at the right time to close the deal. Gael is too far behind the baseline to have a strong influence on Roger's game...

silverwhite
01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Federer will kill Monfils, I think these threads are unnecessary to say the least :rolleyes:

Ditto

adee-gee
01-07-2006, 11:55 AM
:eek: Wow I claimed Federer injures his opponents deliberately! You're going a step further by saying he kills them now :p

vincayou
01-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Monfils can't hurt Federer or even many of the top 10 with his actual weapons. It will turn out like his final against Roddick or Ljubicic. He has improved from last year but he should learn to be more agressive and go to the net. So far, he's only putting the ball back into play, and Federer will enjoy that. Berdych and Gasquet are going for it, they give themselves a chance.
I heard that it was what Monfils worked on with his coach during the off season (going to the net and all that) but he hasn't showed anything so far. I can't see an upset unless Federer plays very badly.

Nonetheless, a very good tournament from Gael, and not his last final this year.

celia
01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Monfils will get a good sense of how much work he still has to do. that in itself is a valuable experience IMO.

rofe
01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Obviously, Fed is not killing Gael right now...

C3PO
01-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Monfils will get a good sense of how much work he still has to do. that in itself is a valuable experience IMO.
Absolutely, it's a privilege for Gael to play Federer and he will learn a lot.. He is not good enough now to beat Fed but don't forget Gael was outside the Top 200 one year ago... He's making his way little by little.

World Beater
01-07-2006, 03:36 PM
well..fed is killing himself today...no need for monfils to do nything

monfils is playing well apparently.

Cervantes
01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Well Fed won in the end, but once again he did look out of sorts and didn't really have a (working) game plan in the beginning of the match. Half way through the first he changed it up and took some pace off is shots from time to time, which eventually won him the match.

1sun
01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
straight sets...nuff said

World Beater
01-07-2006, 04:28 PM
fed was feeling his way through the match...he was trying to get a feel for gael's game.

it was easy to see that fed didnt have a real game plan...he was going to play his game and make some adjustments.

RonE
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
fed was feeling his way through the match...he was trying to get a feel for gael's game.

it was easy to see that fed didnt have a real game plan...he was going to play his game and make some adjustments.

Well when you play someone for the first time even if you have seen him play it is a totally different experience getting on court and feeling the pace and spin for yourself.

So yes, it did take Roger a couple of games but from what I saw of the match (I only watched the first set) Roger had success when he mixed up the pace and weight of his shots. He would hit some shots in deep, some loopy some with power. Monfils stands so far behind the baseline after hitting 3 or 4 shots in the rally deep with pace Roger would then angle it short, using the slice to draw Monfils in and that is when Monfils looked clumsy and out of sorts and Federer was able to forge and opening and finish off the point.

gooner88
01-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Monfils was fearless against Fed. He wasn't intimidated and didin't show too much respect for Fed. These are my reasons for why the match was tight. Well done to Fed for winning but you need these qualities plus the talent to beat Fed, which doesn't happen very often.

stebs
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Monfils played brilliantly for the first four games but it is impossible for someone to play like the that for two sets. It takes too much energy and your body can only produce so much adrenaline. When Federer started playing fairly well he was easing through the games. Monfils never really looked like winning until maybe when he had 5-3 in the breaker.

It was always apparent that Federer was going to step up a nothc if he had to and he did it.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
01-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Great performance Gael!:yeah: This guy will do huge damage this year! I can see him going to the masters cup.:smoke: