Roger Federer - The lengths he goes to achieve success [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer - The lengths he goes to achieve success

adee-gee
01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
This has gone far enough. I realise that Federer wants to become the greatest tennis player of all time, but what he's doing really isn't right. Let's look at the facts.....

In the last 12 months, it's pretty clear that Federer's main rival has been Nadal, and probably will be for the next few years. Then, what happens? He is struck down by a knee injury, misses the end of season championships and is set to miss the Australian Open. Now, if this had happened on its own, I could accept this as a normal injury. However, let us go on.....

Marat Safin beat Federer at the Australian Open last year, a defeat which brought great pain to Federer. Ever since then, Safin has been plagued by injuries, and has given Federer an easier passage during the last couple of slams. This surely raises suspicion.

Andre Agassi had the nerve to test Federer to the extreme in the US Open final. Ever since then, he has barely struck a ball in anger.

The likes of Hewitt and Roddick do not cause Federer much trouble, and he has therefore mainly left them alone apart from the odd occasion when he injured them, probably just for fun (that's the sort of guy he is). However, do not be surprised if you see Nalbandian being struck down by a mystery illness days before the Australian Open. I really do feel quite disgusted by this, and feel that the ATP should look into the actions of Federer. No matter how much he wants to win, he should not resort to injuring other players.

ROGER! STOP IT! :(

revolution
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Watch Berdych break a leg in Sydney now that people have realised he's a genuine threat.

adee-gee
01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Watch Berdych break a leg in Sydney now that people have realised he's a genuine threat.
Quite possibly. Roger will probably plant some oil on the court :rolleyes:

cedez
01-06-2006, 05:22 PM
This has gone far enough. I realise that Federer wants to become the greatest tennis player of all time, but what he's doing really isn't right. Let's look at the facts.....

In the last 12 months, it's pretty clear that Federer's main rival has been Nadal, and probably will be for the next few years. Then, what happens? He is struck down by a knee injury, misses the end of season championships and is set to miss the Australian Open. Now, if this had happened on its own, I could accept this as a normal injury. However, let us go on.....

Marat Safin beat Federer at the Australian Open last year, a defeat which brought great pain to Federer. Ever since then, Safin has been plagued by injuries, and has given Federer an easier passage during the last couple of slams. This surely raises suspicion.

Andre Agassi had the nerve to test Federer to the extreme in the US Open final. Ever since then, he has barely struck a ball in anger.

The likes of Hewitt and Roddick do not cause Federer much trouble, and he has therefore mainly left them alone apart from the odd occasion when he injured them, probably just for fun (that's the sort of guy he is). However, do not be surprised if you see Nalbandian being struck down by a mystery illness days before the Australian Open. I really do feel quite disgusted by this, and feel that the ATP should look into the actions of Federer. No matter how much he wants to win, he should not resort to injuring other players.

Interesting theory ;)

mangoes
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ........................... Rafa will be back.........so don't attack Roger.

rofe
01-06-2006, 06:13 PM
adee-gee is hallucinating - lay off the weed boy ;)

:secret: Though I think Fed was seen conversing with a witch doctor in South Africa so...

prima donna
01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ........................... Rafa will be back.........so don't attack Roger.
:rolleyes:
El Ditzy.

RonE
01-06-2006, 06:22 PM

:spit: :haha: :worship:

Adam, you have really outdone yourself this time! Bravo!!! :rolls: :yeah:

prima donna
01-06-2006, 06:27 PM
:spit: :haha: :worship:

Adam, you have really outdone yourself this time! Bravo!!! :rolls: :yeah:
:crying2::crying2::crying2::sobbing::sobbing:

'Mum', Roger won another match. He's a bad person, why won't he stop ? He should use Top Spin and run more, this is boring, no vamos, no injuries, tennis is dear awful. I bloody say. :sad:

:rolleyes:

Get over it.

cobalt60
01-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok Adee :lol: You are one crazy dude! And let's quote- The games people play and boys will be boys. So can you post a pic of Roger's Voodoo Dolls of these players?;)
Besides I want to know how you get away with this stuff so often?

Skyward
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I wonder why Hrbaty wasn't hit by a truck after beating Roger. :shrug: ;)

adee-gee
01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
:secret: I believe that Roger put something in his drink but Hrbaty to gave it to Karol Beck ;)

Becarina
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
:rolls:

Skyward
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
:secret: I believe that Roger put something in his drink but Hrbaty to gave it to Karol Beck ;)

:haha: Smart man!

cobalt60
01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Because I'm funny :angel:
:lol: Yes you are but so am I and I could never get away with this. I guess there will always be double standards eh?

Becs!!!!! :wavey:

prima donna
01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Forget rational thought, one need not apply it to this scenario.

35 year old tennis players that need cortisone shots to participate in tournaments are perfectly healthy and future ailments shall all be attributed & accredited to Roger Federer, whom stirs the cauldron of the wicked witch from Slovakia, Mirka. :yeah:

Aging players that participate in tennis only 1 month out of the year and take the duration of the season off for vodka, girls and an occasional exhibition. What a mystery an injury would be on such impeccable terms of conditioning. This level of dedication one would think could create an aura of invincibility.

Young players that choose to subject their bodies to a strenous schedule, with poor management, all in the name of who knows what and suddenly pop up with an injury - Guess what ?

Blame Roger.

Once again, rational thought and absolute foolishness clash.

Rational thought always loses, on MTF. ;)

cobalt60
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM

35 year old tennis players that need cortisone shots to participate in tournaments are perfectly healthy and future ailments shall all be attributed & accredited to Roger Federer, whom stirs the cauldron of the wicked witch from Slovakia, Mirka. :yeah:

Aging players that participate in tennis only 1 month out of the year and take the duration of the season off for vodka, girls and an occasional exhibition. What a mystery an injury would be on such impeccable terms of conditioning. This level of dedication one would think could create an aura of invincibility.

Young players that choose to subject their bodies to a strenous schedule, with poor management, all in the name of who knows what and suddenly pop up with an injury - Guess what ?

Blame Roger.

;) And who says women are irrational?

prima donna
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM
;) And who says women are irrational?
:shrug:

cobalt60
01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
:shrug:
Sorry lost in translation? I was referring to the irrationality of the thread and the fact that it was started by a guy.:p

prima donna
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry lost in translation? I was referring to the irrationality of the thread and the fact that it was started by a guy.:p
;)

El Legenda
01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
I told you get a hobby or a job :)

adee-gee
01-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Blame Roger.

You weren't born with a sense of humour were you? :rolleyes:

prima donna
01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
You weren't born with a sense of humour were you? :rolleyes:
We don't subscribe to the same variety of humor, this is slightly juvenile; all in all, considering your remarks as of late regarding Roger this can't come as much of a suprise.

This only adds to an already brilliant resume.

El Legenda
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
hey check in chat threads for: The"Prima-Donna Center for Retards" Thread :rolls:

AlexNYR
01-06-2006, 07:35 PM

cause rog got revenge by creating hrbaty's US open shirt!

Lleytonisthebest
01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
i like the last sentence : nalbandian will be federer's threat...pfff let me laugh in the shanghai final roger was just too bad prepared and perhaps injured

mangoes
01-06-2006, 08:12 PM
We don't subscribe to the same variety of humor, this is slightly juvenile; all in all, considering your remarks as of late regarding Roger this can't come as much of a suprise.

This only adds to an already brilliant resume.

I suggest you take a "chill pill' and just take the post for what it is..............a joke :rolleyes:

mangoes
01-06-2006, 08:13 PM

:haha:

prima donna
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I suggest you take a "chill pill' and just take the post for what it is..............a joke :rolleyes:
I suggest that you don't bother wasting your time making any further suggestions (to me that is), they'll simply be disregarded and later taken care of in the garbage disposal.

:)

mangoes
01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I suggest that you don't bother wasting your time making any further suggestions (to me that is), they'll simply be disregarded and later taken care of in the garbage disposal.

:)

:lol: :haha: ...........you know I read your reply and all I could do was just laugh.............you are so full of crap..............Happy New Year Prima Donna :D

liptea
01-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe Roger's the tennis coach at Hogwarts.

Seraphim
01-06-2006, 11:00 PM

LMAO. Best post today.
I haven't repped in months, and this deserves one of the ten I have stored up. LOL.

bokehlicious
01-06-2006, 11:51 PM
i like the last sentence : nalbandian will be federer's threat...pfff let me laugh in the shanghai final roger was just too bad prepared and perhaps injured

I've been called a fed troll by saying this :haha:

Adee, I just love you more each day :smooch:

Corey Feldman
01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
the likes of Soderling, Ferrero and Ivo Minar were all closer to beating Federer in 2005 than Agassi was...

i like the last sentence : nalbandian will be federer's threat...pfff :lol:
how quickly some forget that Roger handed Nalbandian his arse 6-2 6-4 6-1 in the most important match they played in 2005, a Grand Slam QF on HC ;)

I hope Safin/Nadal do recover and play Aus, but seems very unlikely
Cya's next year lads :p

Corey Feldman
01-07-2006, 02:11 AM
I've been called a fed troll by saying this :haha:
Didnt you know? every person who posts in this forum that supports a player is a troll..
fedtroll, fedtard, duck, pig, hippo, weasel etc etc ;)

Fedtard and proud :rocker2:

TennisGrandSlam
01-07-2006, 04:06 AM

no way to stop roger now

missbungle
01-07-2006, 08:13 AM

:haha: Best post of the year so far! I can just picture Roger hiding in the locker room, armed with a crowbar, ready to kneecap the poor soul who dared challenge him.

adee-gee
01-07-2006, 11:27 AM
how quickly some forget that Roger handed Nalbandian his arse 6-2 6-4 6-1 in the most important match they played in 2005, a Grand Slam QF on HC ;)
I'd be inclined to suggest that a Masters Cup final is more important than a Grand Slam Quarter Final. Anyway, Roger hired someone to play loud music outside Nalbandian's apartment all night before that match, that's why the scoreline was rather 1 sided ;)

World Beater
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
having a sense of humor is great, but when all your jokes seem to be about fed, it implies something else...

gooner88
01-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I'd be inclined to suggest that a Masters Cup final is more important than a Grand Slam Quarter Final. Anyway, Roger hired someone to play loud music outside Nalbandian's apartment all night before that match, that's why the scoreline was rather 1 sided ;)

The real reason was that Fed was awesome that night, arguably his best form of the whole tournament. But Nalbo played poorly that night and he gave Fed alot of early Xmas presents. ;)

Godprint
01-09-2006, 01:57 AM
haha...interesting debate going on...
let's hope Rafeal gets back soon...~~

Corey Feldman
01-09-2006, 02:51 AM
I'd be inclined to suggest that a Masters Cup final is more important than a Grand Slam Quarter Final. depends how you look at it, basically to win a GS you have to at least WIN the QF match obviously... roger's went on and won that match and the Us open, now that... is bigger than a MC title ;)

Anyway, Roger hired someone to play loud music outside Nalbandian's apartment all night before that match, that's why the scoreline was rather 1 sided ;)it was that Gavin Rosdale guy, i was wondering why he was hanging out with Fed during the tournament ;)

adee-gee
01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Roger clearly didn't listen to a word I said :rolleyes: Latest development - Lleyton Hewitt, speaking after today's match with Spadea......

"I've obviously got some kind of bug. I actually thought it was getting a bit dangerous out there to keep playing on," he told a news conference.

"I was probably only a couple of points away from having to walk off court but to my credit, I hung in there and tried to get through."

Hewitt said the only time he had ever felt worse on the court was during the 2002 Hopman Cup when he was diagnosed with chicken pox.

"That was probably a little worse but today was right up there. My energy levels were just right down," he said.

"There were stages when I was tossing up whether it was really worth it with Melbourne next week.

"But hopefully it's at its worst today. That's what I'm hoping. If it keeps getting better then I can put up with it."

mangoes
01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLEASE!!!! Lleyton doesn't even beep on Roger's radar..................................and that said, I've still said that Lleyton will finish no. 2 this year............ :lol:

Sjengster
01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Hmm, interesting - and not without precedent. adee, do you happen to know who Hewitt was playing at the 2002 Hopman Cup right before he started showing signs of the illness? One guess...

mangoes
01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Hmm, interesting - and not without precedent. adee, do you remember Hewitt's bout of chickenpox this time four years ago, which meant he got booted out in the first round of the 2002 AO by Martin? Well, guess who he played at the Hopman Cup right before he started showing signs of the illness...

I can't believe this, you have to be kidding........... :lol: :lol: ............more fuel for Adeegee's theory.

Sjengster
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I edited my above post when I realised that the pox was mentioned in adee's article. But the point still stands... and for the record, that's where the first of Federer's bagels against Hewitt comes from.

Skyward
01-09-2006, 06:27 PM
When did Ferrero's pox show up? :scared:

mangoes
01-09-2006, 06:28 PM

I so wish Sjengster hadn't pointed that out to you. He just added more fuel to your :devil: against sweet Roger.

adee-gee
01-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I so wish Sjengster hadn't pointed that out to you. He just added more fuel to your :devil: against sweet Roger.
There is so much fuel in my fire that it's going to be classified as a weapon of mass destruction soon :p

DrJules
01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
There is so much fuel in my fire that it's going to be classified as a weapon of mass destruction soon :p

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2847800&postcount=267

How is your preparation for "Top 10 reasons I love Roger" going?

heya
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
:hearts:It's only humorous when your fave player is Ferrero and your MTF pals' fave player is Rogi!

mandoura
01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
:worship:

Crap, I'm beginning to like a Fed fan. Stop making me like you mangoes :(

And I thought you liked me :sad: .

You forgot about Gask. He should be there instead of Andre. :)

Phunkadelicious
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
having a sense of humor is great, but when all your jokes seem to be about fed, it implies something else...
The fact that Adam wants shag Federer is no secret around here.

mandoura
01-10-2006, 12:32 AM

:haha: :haha:

mangoes
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
And I thought you liked me :sad: .

You forgot about Gask. He should be there instead of Andre. :)

:lol: Everyone loves you mandoura :hug:

mandoura
01-10-2006, 12:40 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2847800&postcount=267

How is your preparation for "Top 10 reasons I love Roger" going?

:haha: ;)

mandoura
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
The fact that Adam wants shag Federer is no secret around here.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed :eek: .

mandoura
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
:lol: Everyone loves you mandoura :hug:

:kiss: :hug:

mangoes
01-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Adeegee asked for the bet to be nullified due to Rafa's injury.......... :sad:

SPECIALLY FOR ADEEGEE

PREVIEW-Tennis-Fresh Federer ready for some more hard labour

By Bill Barclay

LONDON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - While his rivals wilt under the strain of trying to match him, Roger Federer appears ominously fresh before the first grand slam of the season.

The Swiss world number one starts his bid for a second Australian Open title in his familiar role as outstanding favourite and showing little sign of last year's foot and ankle injuries.

The latter played a part in his painful end to an otherwise outstanding 2005 when David Nalbandian beat him in five sets in November to win the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

Federer resumed normal service with victory in his first tournament of 2006, the Qatar Open, without the loss of the set and more importantly, without any sign of his injuries.

"A beautiful start" was the verdict of the 24-year-old. "It really showed I am over it, I really think that."

In contrast, Spaniard Rafael Nadal, the only player who came close to matching Federer's success last season, is struggling with a foot injury. Defending Australian Open champion Marat Safin, the Russian who beat Federer in last year's semi-finals, has not played since August due to a knee problem.

Andre Agassi, who took a set off Federer in the U.S. Open final, has already withdrawn injured and home hope Lleyton Hewitt, who together with Nalbandian could be Federer's strongest challenger, has lost his last nine matches against the Swiss.

For those who do make it to Melbourne, it promises to be hard labour all the way on a surface Federer loves.

The Swiss only suffered four defeats in 85 matches last season and can argue that injury played a part in two of them.

The Swiss was hampered by sore feet when he lost his five-set classic against Safin in the Melbourne semi-finals last year.

Ten months later an ankle injury meant his lack of match fitness came to bear in November's five-set loss to Nalbandian in the Masters Cup final in Shanghai.

Federer's two other defeats of 2005 were on clay and on a hardcourt -- the surface that will be used in Melbourne -- he has won 45 consecutive matches, 11 more than the previous record.

If the early season signs are anything to go by, that remarkable unbeaten run will still be in tact come the end of the Melbourne fortnight.

PamV
01-10-2006, 04:41 AM
I guess my mojo spell to help Roger is working.

adee-gee
01-11-2006, 12:22 PM
World number five David Nalbandian cut short his preparations for the year's opening grand slam in Melbourne by retiring with an upset stomach while trailing Germany's Nicolas Kiefer 6-3 3-2.

You cannot be serious :haha:

Hola Mr. SK
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
World number five David Nalbandian cut short his preparations for the year's opening grand slam in Melbourne by retiring with an upset stomach while trailing Germany's Nicolas Kiefer 6-3 3-2.

You cannot be serious :haha:
Roger probabaly hired someone to put virus in Dave's food!
I think proofs will be available later :cool:

star
01-11-2006, 12:56 PM
So it's Roger who's responsible for this wave of stomach virus going around!!

He needn't have bothered with Lleyton. That seems to be going over the line. :fiery: And poor Daniela! What has she done to him??? :mad:

heya
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
FEDERER PRESS CONFERENCE 11/1/06:

Q: Is there a sense of disappointment that you won't get a chance to play Marat again at the Australian Open?

A: Has he pulled out?

Q: Well, it's on his web site that he has.

A: Promoting his web site. Obviously if he pulls out that will be a disappointment. Already disappointing Rafael is pulling out, it's always a pity if number two player pulls out, then obviously the defending champion too, these are too big blows for the Aussie Open and for the tournament but again we saw that coming too so it's not that much of a disappointment, we still have good players here with myself, Lleyton, Andy. Andre obviously pulling out too, that hurts I think too so that's how it goes sometimes and it's a pity they couldn't recuperate but it really shows that the injuries they had at the Masters Cup in Shanghai were serious injuries and not just, like maybe some people thought tired of the season, let's have a longer break, so really honest guys, which is good to see.

Q: Does it show ... how the tour program needs to be revamped and a shorter season when we're seeing injury after injury?

A: I think it's just unfortunate at the moment. How often does it happen that half of the top guys are injured? It's never really happening and if you look back at the injuries they have, they are injuries that have been coming for a long time, like Marat's knee, he has been struggling for a long time, same as Rafael's foot, he had that problem before where I think Andre got unlucky so it all adds up and we all think it's the tour in the end. I don't quite agree with it because it's been like this for years and years and years and the issue comes up when there is a few guys injured but I think if you're playing carefully and you're fit, you shouldn't have too many injuries because you can always plan if you want to play more or less, you can always take wild cards, you can always pull out, there is a chance to do that.

Q: We saw with Nadal and Safin, if they were healthy and hadn't played a tournament for three months, is it possible for a guy like that to come into a Grand Slam, not having played for three months, and have a chance to win a Grand Slam?

A: Absolutely. If you're that calibre of player you can do it. Three months is not that much. I think six months it gets very difficult but three, I think once you get underway that's the difficult part and I think at the end of the injury for a Grand Slam I think they would have had enough time to prepare, it obviously depends on the preparation. If you're just coming back from injury like I did, from my injury last year with the ankle, that was obviously hard because I barely could practice so I think the preparation is what really matters.

Q: Can you take us back a little bit to what you did after Shanghai, how you spent the month of December and when did you start hitting again?

A: I was two and a half weeks on vacation, was home for 10 days in Switzerland, started to work out with a condition trainer for 10 days, hit a few times, maybe three times in total, then I went to Tony, about the 20th I left and I was there for 10 days, and I was on Sunday before Doha so I hit every day, focused really just on playing tennis so Doha and then here.

adee-gee
01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
:haha: I love the innocent act Roger, you don't fool me though :ras:

heya
01-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Q: Roger, looks like you are going to start the Australian Open as the shortest priced favourite ever in the history of the tournament ahead of Sampras and other greats. Is the game over already, do you think?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: Well, I don't know. I felt like last year was quite crazy, already they were going I already won the tournament before I even started to play. It's pretty calm this year, I don't know why, it's just a feeling I have but it's good to have the odds for you than against you but, again, it's the first Grand Slam of the year, we've all had a rest and everybody is looking for form, also myself so we will see how it goes.

Q: Does that put you under extra pressure to know that you are the overwhelming red hot favourite?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: I haven't experienced it for a while so I'm not really used to it, yeah. I'm used to it so it doesn't red hot or hot favourite, whatever, I'm used to it.

Q: Roger, this time last year you took out the AAMI Classic after Doha but had a few injury concerns. How do you compare yourself to last year?

A: Obviously the injury, this last one I had, was the ankle, it was more serious than the injury I had two years ago it was just a little tear in my thigh, this year it was the ankle and obviously I felt better coming into last year as Doha and Kooyong but now after I played at Doha I feel good and I'm also hitting the ball well and we will see how Kooyong goes but I've been here in Sydney, practiced with Tony already, so I'm used to the heat and the conditions and this tournament I know it now, after playing it twice. I'm feeling good but I think maybe last year I would felt even a little better because of the injury.

Q: Lleyton has obviously had some time off for injury and also becoming a dad and now the news yesterday that he is suffering from a stomach bug. Do you still see him as your number one threat in the Australian Open?

A: Well, he's definitely a hot favourite because of the home crowd support and the great run he had here last year, just the good player he is, but then again we have other great players, many of them sitting here at the table, all of them, and it's going to be extremely hard. I see as usual four Grand Slams at the moment, big number of guys who have got a shot to win the first Grand Slam of the year.

Dirk
01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the Fed quotes Heya. :smooch: :inlove:

Dirk
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
So it's Roger who's responsible for this wave of stomach virus going around!!

He needn't have bothered with Lleyton. That seems to be going over the line. :fiery: And poor Daniela! What has she done to him??? :mad:

Just call her collateral damage. :devil:

World Beater
01-11-2006, 11:43 PM
ban him

World Beater
01-11-2006, 11:43 PM
he's the one who put steroids in people's drinks...cunning roger!!!

he wanted to make sure his boyfriend nadal won the french open...so if puerta did win, he would get caught...and nadal would be champion!!! :devil:

Seraphim
01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
he's the one who put steroids in people's drinks...cunning roger!!!

he wanted to make sure his boyfriend nadal won the french open...so if puerta did win, he would get caught...and nadal would be champion!!! :devil:

Nadal? Eww.

Can't believe he dumped roddick for nadal.

fyi
01-12-2006, 06:23 AM
The most funny thread!! May become true ?
Seppi just defeats Hewitt now. Did Roger really do something to Hewitt ?

heya
01-12-2006, 01:02 PM
THE minute Roger Federer loses any match, the pet theories about what is going on assume an unrealistic hue. It was no surprise, then, that when the world No 1 was beaten in the first match of the AAMI Kooyong Classic yesterday, a sharp intake of breath threatened to suck all sense from the sport.

What is clear is that, with his right ankle strapped, Federer is not moving as well as he would like on the cusp of a grand-slam tournament. Too many times yesterday he was straining to reach shots that normally would not tax him, especially when he was drawn towards the net.
timesonline.co.uk

heya
01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
"He's won seven or eight grand slams. I've won two and he's beaten me the last nine times we've played, so you work it out," Hewitt suggested upon hearing of Federer's outrageous claim to underdog status.

Federer's grand slam tally actually stands at six but you don't need to be Lleyton Hewitt to work out only an untimely injury or superhuman performance from one of his 127 challengers will deny the world No.1 from taking his total to precisely half Pete Sampras's benchmark 14 majors.

The scratchings of world No.2 Rafael Nadal (foot), titleholder Marat Safin (knee) and four-time champion Andre Agassi (ankle) has confirmed Hewitt and David Nalbandian as the two players most likely to thwart Federer's bid for a second Open crown.

To be fair, though, given the lack of tennis the injured trio has played in recent times, Hewitt and Nalbandian were always going to be Federer's greatest dangers.

Hewitt has succumbed to the eventual champion in his last seven slams, including four times to Federer, and will not rest until he snaps his two-and-a-half-year losing streak against his Swiss tormentor.

The 24-year-old former Wimbledon and US Open champion suffered a setback in his preparation when he lost his first match in sevens years at the Sydney International this week.

And having toiled away courageously - and quite memorably - for more than 20 hours to reach last year's Open final, this year's third seed wasn't expecting any less of an assignment in the absence of Nadal, Safin and Agassi.

"There's still a hell of a lot of good players out there," Hewitt said.

"To play against those guys, you've got to make it to the quarters and the semis anyway, so I know I've got to go out there and still take care of the guys I need to in the first week and put myself in a position.

"Anyone that makes the quarters or semis of grand slams, regardless, is going to be seeing and hitting the ball well.

"So even though it's not those guys that obviously have a good record in the big tournaments, there's Nalbandian, Coria ... you know, a lot of names out there still."

Including the biggest name of them all, who has ominously fully recovered from the foot injury that hampered him in his five-set loss to Nalbandian in the Tennis Masters Cup final two months ago in Shanghai.

"I couldn't have had a better start to the season," Federer said after opening 2006 with another title in Doha last week.

"I am really excited, especially after the trouble with my foot. It really showed I am over it, I really think that."
http://www.theage.com.au

Dirk
01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Heya, honey you must love Roger with all the Federer article postings. Keep them coming and stop by our forum. We would be big fans of your poetry. :hug:

mandoura
01-15-2006, 12:17 PM
:haha: I love the innocent act Roger, you don't fool me though :ras:

:lol: Adee. How clumsy of him because he was aiming specifically at you with all his innocence and charm. :p :D

:secret: I told him about this thread so beware of his spell. ;)