who else thinks haas can do some damage this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

who else thinks haas can do some damage this year?

fabolous
01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
i've watched all the matches of tommy haas in doha and from what i've seen, this is a different haas than he was in 2005. it's not only the haircut, it's his whole on-court-attitude: he seems to have new motivation, is full of energy and his game is already in a good condition. another aspect is his new coach thomas hogstedt, i think they can work very well together and he may be a better coach for tommy than david ayme was.

last year was quite disappointing for tommy. he finished at #43 and couldn't make a final in any tournament. furthermore he had some bad luck with injuries (the one in wimbledon was :rolleyes: ). we all know this guy has great potential - he was ranked 2nd in the world 3 years ago (even if some people call him "the worst #2 ever ;)). i don't expect him to be there again, but top20 maybe top15 and some good slam results - why not? tommy is already 27 years old, he recently said that this could be his last chance to reach sth. what do you think?

Alexiana
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I think and hope this year will work for Tommy. He had such a terrible year 2005. The beginning was ok, but after Wimbledon, there wasn't much to celebrate. He has such a great game and he is someone, who can surely catch some attention in 2006. Let's go TOMMY :wavey:

Sjengster
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Too early to tell, especially this early in the season when good results can be deceptive, but on past history if it's going to happen anywhere then it will be in Australia. Hardcourt is obviously his best surface for success, but he was racking up good showings in the big clay events in 2002 before his injury. I still think he plays a little too passively though, despite his power off both wings, and often gets sucked into long rallies with tenacious baseliners where he just seems to be going through the motions.

*Ljubica*
01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Haas is a good player and he is always capable of "doing damage* - but as Sjengster says, it's really too early to tell at this stage of the season. From the matches I've seen in Doha, I was very impressed with his win over Henman - but he had some bad lapses of concentration in both the Wawrinka match and the one against Youzhny. I agree that Australia is his best chance of reaching the latter stages of a Slam as the courts suit his game.

Neely
01-06-2006, 09:01 PM
If doing damage means winning a big tournamant (like a Masters), no I don't think he can do that. But what I want from him is that he hopefully can play a season without bad injuries and the will/concentration to win which will bring him back to a ranking according his potential, not #40 or something like 2005, but inside top 15, which means racking up a few results, making it further in some (important) tournaments. And I hope that he has his full concentration and dedication to the Davis Cup team.

I didn't see many matches of him this week, but I also have the feeling that the partnership with Hogstedt could be good for him.

mongo
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Although I haven't seen him at Doha, I saw some uninspired play at 2005 USO. Has has long been one of my all-time favorite players, but sadly, it's my belief that his best days are behind him.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind being dead wrong.

Go Tommy!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
He will have a great season, hopefully able to do very well in all tournaments he will play, what I'm sure he can.

el güero
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Tommy still has the game that can take him at least to the SF of a Grand Slam on hard courts. It's just a question of his mental toughness. For that, the Swedish coach can do wonders, as the Swedes have generally been masters in concentrating! I hope Haas is mentally ready to take the necessary step to become a top 10 player.

switz
01-07-2006, 12:18 AM
yes Tommy has always been capable of anything. The Ginepri match was a classic case at the US Open. If he had of won who knows what would have happened.

He could finish the year top 5, he could be outside the top 50.

mojo37_12
01-07-2006, 02:51 AM
With the new hair? He will definitely do a lot of damage... :)

PahelWaske
01-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Disregarding that good result, some weaknesses became more than obvious in all of this weeks matches:

1. a lack of confidence at the return of serve, really not much depth behind his shots

2. the backhand longline, he once used to be master of this stroke and he urgently needs to improve that again since most of his opponents consistently attacked his backhand and he only managed to slice it back or to play a weak top spin cross court -------> big tactical disadvantage

3. he also blew too many relatively simply shots and he has to take more risks again, particularly on the forehand wing, he has an awesome forehand, he just needs more confidence and a better rhythm

It's a promising start in that year though and I pretty much believe that Hogstedt is the right coach! Top 15 + 1,2 titles would be juicy :bounce:

Ghis
01-07-2006, 08:07 AM
I hope he can do big damage this year...

MATTHIAS
01-07-2006, 08:08 AM
i hope this since few years - but for some different reasons it never happend

Deivid23
01-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Some damage yes. Some serious damage, no.

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 08:12 AM
I hope he'll do some damage. He's talented. Hope the new Haas has come :yeah:

fabolous
01-07-2006, 02:25 PM
first, thanks to y'all for your opinions. i see there are still people who believe in him :D

Although I haven't seen him at Doha, I saw some uninspired play at 2005 USO. Has has long been one of my all-time favorite players, but sadly, it's my belief that his best days are behind him.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind being dead wrong.

you are absolutely right. last year, especially at the USO he had some "uninspired" games, sometimes he seemed to be "lost" on court, not 100% ready to fight. i know, doha is just one tournament, but i've also read some interviews from him and i really hope that he regained his confidence and motivation.

Disregarding that good result, some weaknesses became more than obvious in all of this weeks matches:

1. a lack of confidence at the return of serve, really not much depth behind his shots

2. the backhand longline, he once used to be master of this stroke and he urgently needs to improve that again since most of his opponents consistently attacked his backhand and he only managed to slice it back or to play a weak top spin cross court -------> big tactical disadvantage

3. he also blew too many relatively simply shots and he has to take more risks again, particularly on the forehand wing, he has an awesome forehand, he just needs more confidence and a better rhythm

It's a promising start in that year though and I pretty much believe that Hogstedt is the right coach! Top 15 + 1,2 titles would be juicy :bounce:
good post! i think these are the main differences to the haas from 2002. his backhand was brilliant, now it's average. and surely tommy needs to take more risks, that's his game! this is mainly a matter of self-confidence, and self-confidence comes up with good results. let's hope the best!