Xavier Malisse: Is 2006 his breakthrough year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Xavier Malisse: Is 2006 his breakthrough year?

JuanRodriguez
01-06-2006, 08:34 AM
owkay, first of all there's nothing more difficult than predicting Xavier's future. But I have the impression he's on a roll right now, crushing Andreas Seppi 6-0, 6-1 in the quarter-final of Adelaide. And he managed to finally win a close three-set-match (against Ancic). He already had so many in the past and he seemed to lose them almost every time, especially those against Lleyton Hewitt. But now against Ancic he had three match points against him and still managed to win the match 3-6 6-3 7-6(8). Of course at the other side of the net there was also someone who is little known for choking on important points, but nevertheless not bad for a headcase like Xavier ;)

Xavier's at his best when he hasn't got any points to defend. Last year he reached the 2nd round in Adelaide and lost 1st rounds at Sydney and the Australian Open. With almost no points to defend I see him climbing in the ranks the following weeks very quickly. Now if he only could take out some top-10 players... should give him a boost of confidence. And he knows himself he's capable of it. Especially after his 4th round match against Agassi at the US Open where he finally lost 3-6 4-6 7-6(5) 6-4 2-6. But being two sets down and still coming back isn't quite what we used to know from Xavier. He also did it in his US Open 3rd round against Youzhny 5-7 1-6 6-1 7-5 7-6(1).

So good forecasts, good expectations, and still... you never know with the X-man. Let's hope he can make it this year. :)

Dirk
01-06-2006, 08:40 AM
You never know. I was very impressed with his match with Agassi at USO. Better late than never.

Castafiore
01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
So good forecasts, good expectations, and still... you never know with the X-man. Let's hope he can make it this year. :)
You have to be an eternal optimist to be a fan of the X-man but I'm hoping with you that he can show us beautiful tennis this season without his usual mental breakdowns. :)
That match against Agassi in the USO: he began too slow but set 3 en 4 were just fantastic. Too bad that he could not finish it off.

His last match against Seppi was 6-0, 6-1 :worship: (Seppi did take out Blake, didn't he?).

rommel99
01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
im really really hoping

Eléa
01-06-2006, 10:04 AM
I hope too :) Very good beginning of the year for Xavier.

Allez-H²
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
*crosses her fingers*

Xmanfan
01-06-2006, 10:14 AM
here's hoping - not since the s/f of wimb 2002 have I been so excited. I think the match against AA at the US Open last year, although he lost, would have restored some belief. C'mon X - let's win Adelaide and get the year off to a stonking start!

With Nadal, Safin and AA out, and Hewitt below par, only Federer's the big gun at the Oz Open. C'MON! Dare to dream :-)

linus
01-06-2006, 10:50 AM
if fix all right, wish X-man more powerful though Ancic out :lol:

mojo37_12
01-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Very unlikely... but possible. :)

SloKid
01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Isn't that being said for him year after year...We'll just have to wait and see I guess...:shrug:

Hagar
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I always try NOT to hope too much concerning Xavier.
Because: just when I have lost hope, he does well. And when I am hopeful again, he blows it. :(
So I take it like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. Well, you know you will pull out your hair and bit your nails, that's for sure. :p

Jim Jones
01-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Actually Malisse's breakthrough year was when he won the doubles French Open title and his first singles title. He also was once in the top 20 so I don't know what 'breakthrough' means to you.

JuanRodriguez
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Xavier's highlights are:
* 2002: semi-final Wimbledon
* dec 2002: highest entry-ranking: 19
* 2004: french open doubles champion
* 2005: first win in an ATP tournament

I'd like to see him achieve two similar results out of the list in the same year. And a place in the top-20.
I've got the feeling Xavier has got some spectacular results in a year and after that he gets four or five first round losses in a row. Ups and many downs... If he starts being constant in his results, that would be already a 'breakthrough' an sich.

AgassiDomination
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Hell no.

mongo
01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
But in his 2002 W SF, he wasn't well. At the time, they said he suffered from extreme anxiety, but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he has since had a heart operation to correct his condition. IMO, his best tennis is yet to come.

Go Xavier!

peteslamz
01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
If he'll beat Berdych in the semis then that's a good sign....(fingers crossed) :)

BelgianGirl
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Let's start with the Adelaide title! :p

I really hope he can play more consistently this year. That would be a breakthrough for him. He already proved he can compete with the absolute top, now he has to start beating them from time to time... :)
And I still think he would be better off with a permanent coach.

cedez
01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
I hope he does well this year. I've never felt that he's lived up to his full potential, which is too bad. :cool:

Ten_Isse_Fan
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Hopefully, 2006 will be great. NEver give up Xavier, the best is yet to come !

rommel99
01-07-2006, 12:55 AM
If he'll beat Berdych in the semis then that's a good sign....(fingers crossed) :)

xavier is my ultimate fave but its hard if youre fave is playing a player you also like.. but really hoping xavier will take this..

Deboogle!.
01-07-2006, 01:14 AM
And I still think he would be better off with a permanent coach.What happened to Kelly Jones?!

rommel99
01-07-2006, 05:54 AM
xavier beat berdych!! hoping he wins!! wooohooo

Dirk
01-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Wow he kill Birdshit. Great going Malisse. The title is yours.

Dirk
01-07-2006, 07:40 AM
He won 6-4 6-0 by the way. :eek:

linus
01-07-2006, 07:52 AM
ya, a very big done :eek:

now i push X-man to catch the title, the first title this year :D

God bbless :angel:

Castafiore
01-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Are you kidding? Xavier beat Berdych?
:bounce: :aparty:

Fantastic news!

bad gambler
01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I hope he recovers from the knock he sustained to his leg and be 100% for the final

I think he needs to be to beat Serra based on the way he thrashed Hrbaty

Dirk
01-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Malisse should win this one. If his leg was bad I don't think he would have beaten Birdshit today.

JuanRodriguez
01-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow, nice score-line against Berdych :eek: :)

Xavier admits he's playing better than ever:

Malisse finds best form in two years
The Australian
Andrew McGarry
January 07, 2006

THE X man is back. That was the message from Memorial Drive yesterday after Belgium's Xavier Malisse swept into the semi-finals with a very impressive display against Italy's Andreas Seppi.

Malisse achieved his highest ranking of 19 in August 2002, the year he reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon, losing to Argentina's David Nalbandian in five sets in a rain-interrupted match spread over two days.

Since then he has struggled, with his year-end ranking dropping to 56 in 2003. He started this year at No.47 in the world, but his performances this week will give him a boost for the rest of the Australian summer.

Malisse blitzed Seppi, who upset American James Blake in the second round, 6-0 6-1.

Malisse, who is unbeaten in five matches this week, said he was happy to get his singles match over quickly in the hot conditions. The Belgian was last night scheduled to partner Mark Philippoussis in a doubles semi-final.

Asked when he had last played that well, he replied: "It's been a while.

"Sometimes you have these days where everything goes right. I'm quite happy (with my performance)."

Malisse has had plenty of time to hone his forehand this week, with one or two matches still to come before he heads to Sydney next week. "It's definitely the best preparation I've had for the Australian Open," he said.

He said he was enjoying playing with Philippoussis.

"We don't talk about tennis during the changeovers," Malisse said. "The main thing is that we're having fun."

The partnership will not extend to the Australian Open, where Malisse will partner countryman Olivier Rochus, with whom he won the French Open doubles in 2004. However Malisse would not rule out playing with Philippoussis again in the future.

"If we get to play in the same tournament we might get to do something down the road. If we could do that I'd like that very much," he said.

Malisse ripped through the opening set in 20 minutes, prompting concerns Seppi could be the victim of the dreaded "double bagel".

The Italian finally managed to get on the board in the first game of the second set but only after being taken to five deuces by Malisse.

Malisse was too sharp around the court, seemingly able to return Seppi's best shots at will.

He quickly held serve at 1-1, then rifled a forehand winner down the line and forced Seppi into an error to set up two break points in the third game.

Seppi saved one break point with an ace, but then hit an easy shot into the net after dominating the next point.

Whatever fight was left in Seppi seemed to go with the break. Malisse was never really troubled on serve. Conversely the Italian made a series of errors on his serve.

JuanRodriguez
01-07-2006, 11:53 AM
and another one:

Malisse joins Serra in final
The Australian
January 07, 2006

UNSEEDED aggressors Xavier Malisse and Florent Serra set up an unlikely Adelaide International singles final with a pair of convincing victories over better-ranked opponents today.

Fearless Frenchman Serra stunned second seeded Slovakian Dominik Hrbaty with an upset 6-3 6-3 win, while Malisse smashed plenty of winners to gallop away from Czech sixth seed Tomas Berdych 6-4 6-0.

Serra played an aggressive, shot-laden brand of tennis to flummox Hrbaty, who looked devoid of his usual rhythm all match.

"I tried to play aggressively and hit my shots against him and I think he had a few troubles with his ball toss because of the wind," said Serra, who at 24 is building his reputation and ranking after several years on the challenger circuit.

"The more I play the good players the more I learn."

There were early signs that world No.18 Hrbaty was not at his peak, with Serra breaking in the first game of the afternoon and adding two more service breaks to take the opening set.

Another breach of his serve at the start of the second left Hrbaty in a similar position to the one he had faced against Mark Philippoussis in round two.

However there was no second comeback as Serra withstood challenges on his serve at 4-2 and 5-3 before closing it out on his second match point.

Serra, ranked 49 in the world at the end of 2005, won his first ATP title at Bucharest late last year but had never beaten a top 20 player before today (he advanced against Lleyton Hewitt in the 2005 Montreal Masters when the Australian retired due to illness).

All-court shotmaker Malisse has located his very best form in a week when many players are struggling to re-capture theirs after holidays, and conjured unreturnable shots from everywhere to roll his adversary in little more than an hour.

Berdych made much of the early running, but dropped two late service games in succession to part with the opening set 6-4.

Set two coincided with a patch of sublime play by Malisse, who passed Berdych consistently to break the tall Czech's will.

"Everything started rolling from 4-4 in the first set," Malisse said after converting a remarkable five out of five break points for the match.

"I started reading his serve a little bit and in the second set I relaxed a little bit, I returned really well in the first game of the second set, I broke

vincayou
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
It's a promising start for Xavier. It was about time!

Gonzo Hates Me!
01-07-2006, 02:20 PM
it's never his breakthrough year.

rommel99
01-07-2006, 02:35 PM
well his saying hes moving alot better, and i think hes still working with dehous, clijster's former coach, maybe his coach is focusing on his movement which is great since kim is also one of the best movers ever to play in the wtatour.

rommel99
01-07-2006, 02:37 PM
btw, the news also said that hes playing with olivier in the aussie open, so that means that they are friends again? thats great..

Belgian
01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
well his saying hes moving alot better, and i think hes still working with dehous, clijster's former coach, maybe his coach is focusing on his movement which is great since kim is also one of the best movers ever to play in the wtatour.
No, Dehous and Xavier aren't working together.
They had a testperiod but Xavier didn't want to continue with him, he is currently without a coach but he still has a fitness trainer.

delsa
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Good luck anyway, Xavier.

silverwhite
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Delsa's back! :bounce: :woohoo: :hug:

delsa
01-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I'll try to post a bit more from now on. ;) But in two weeks time i'll be back in hell. So Julie's in Québec now? Let's go to the GB Chat Thread.

silverwhite
01-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm already there. :p

mongo
01-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Served up a bagel to Berdych!

Hale yes!

rommel99
01-08-2006, 04:42 AM
No, Dehous and Xavier aren't working together.
They had a testperiod but Xavier didn't want to continue with him, he is currently without a coach but he still has a fitness trainer.

oh well anything that would work is great.. maybe after having everyone as his coach maybe he realize that it would work for him better not to have a coach lolz

L James
01-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Is 2006 his breakthrough year? No. Still the same mental problems as usual

Oj-Ala
01-08-2006, 05:51 AM
He just lost the Adelaide final to Serra... :sad: Well... runner up and without a coach...

Golfnduck
01-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Runner-up isn't bad....good start to the year.

mojo37_12
01-08-2006, 06:03 AM
He just lost the Adelaide final to Serra... :sad: Well... runner up and without a coach...

Wow! Serra sure is surprisingly hitting great... :eek: Well I guess this loss answers this thread's question.

rommel99
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
im just happy he had a good week.. semis in doubles and finals in singles.. that a better start than all players except those who won tournament :D

Allez-H²
01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
It's a pity he lost :sad: But great week anywayz :yeah: Maybe he can have a similar run to Oli's run last year in Australia :p

Experimentee
01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
He's in good form but needs to work on his mental capacity to play finals. He didnt play well from the start, and couldnt take any of his opportunities. Serra played well and was too solid for Xavier, who sprayed balls everywhere. I think Xavier was pressured because he was favourite, and he only started to play decently when he was almost about to lose, but it was too late. He didnt even play half as well today as he did yesterday.