Agassi to begin season in... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi to begin season in...

Gigan
01-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Agassi to begin season in San Jose

January 6, 2006 - 10:14AM

Andre Agassi will begin his 2006 season at the San Jose Open in February, tournament organisers announced on Thursday.

The American, who withdrew on Wednesday from this month's Australian Open after failing to recover from a lingering ankle injury, will attempt to win a sixth title at the event which begins on Feb 13.

"We are very excited about Agassi's commitment to start the 2006 season right here in San Jose," tournament director Bill Rapp said in a statement.

"With the addition of this eight-time grand slam champion, the Open now boasts the strongest player field in its recent history - with Andre joining ... Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, John McEnroe and Jonas Bjorkman."

McEnroe will be making a doubles comeback at the tournament.

Dirk
01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Good to know Oz is just a minor set back.

revolution
01-06-2006, 12:19 AM
said on steve g Delray Beach had awarded him a wildcard.....

Dirk
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Why would he need one?

cedez
01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Glad to hear that Andre is planning to play here. Hope he will be 100% by then. I'm still sad that he will be missing the AO, though...

Fee
01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Well, that press release was out of date as soon as it was released :lol:

Late today, Delray Beach gave Andre a wildcard to their tournament which is 2 weeks before San Jose. He needed a wildcard because he did not enter the tournament by the deadline 2 weeks ago. I still think Delray Beach is a backup plan and he might not be ready by then, but more power to the tournament, they can use his name to sell tickets in the meantime.

Golfnduck
01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I really hope he plays there *fingers crossed*

czech1rep
01-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Great news

Dirk
01-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, that press release was out of date as soon as it was released :lol:

Late today, Delray Beach gave Andre a wildcard to their tournament which is 2 weeks before San Jose. He needed a wildcard because he did not enter the tournament by the deadline 2 weeks ago. I still think Delray Beach is a backup plan and he might not be ready by then, but more power to the tournament, they can use his name to sell tickets in the meantime.

Thanks for explaining it. I didn't realize you had to register so early for that event. It about a month away, I thought players had more time than that.

cedez
01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Andre makes any tournament more interesting. I'm sure the tourny directors are estatic he is going to play. Wish I could be there to see him, too!

Fee
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for explaining it. I didn't realize you had to register so early for that event. It about a month away, I thought players had more time than that.

All ATP tournament entries are due 6 weeks in advance, Challengers 3 weeks in advance, and Futures 2 weeks in advance. (The entry lists for San Jose, Marseille, and Buenos Aires are out this week, but we don't have any forums to post them in...).

Agassi Aces
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Wonderful, Andre playing a full Spring Hard Court schedule- Delray Beach, San Jose, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami!