...and the Oscar goes to King Kooyong! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

...and the Oscar goes to King Kooyong!

Pages : [1] 2

blosson
01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Kooyong is coming up.
Andy will be back in a few days (it's been too long).
Riskier, faster and with more raw power, as he said himself. :cool:
Go Andy!

Who are the other invited players for this event? Anyone?

Deboogle!.
01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
As of right now: Federer, Coria, Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Haas, Monfils, and Andy..... they haven't replaced Andre yet.

Thanks for starting the thread :D

acoffeygirl
01-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I hate it when Deb beats me! :lol: I think I heard a rumor today that Henman might be asked to replace Agassi since he will not be playing.

Deboogle!.
01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Sowwy :p

Henman...yeah :yeah: I'm sure they'll announce it soon. Not having agassi frees them up a lot of money to get someone pretty good ;)

cobalt60
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Good luck Andy! Looks like a good group with some repeaters from last year.

blosson
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Ah. Thanks.
So Marat is still in doubt for AO as well as Nadal?
And Hewitt lost to a player he shouldn't have lost to.
Oh well. Hopefully Andy does well at Kooyong - if he gets to play in the final just like last year, then I would be happy. Actually I want him to win the whole thing. Is it too much to ask? :p

Deboogle!.
01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
So Marat is still in doubt for AO as well as Nadal?Yep :(
And Hewitt lost to a player he shouldn't have lost to. Yep.:pOh well. Hopefully Andy does well at Kooyong - if he gets to play in the final just like last year, then I would be happy. Actually I want him to win the whole thing. Is it too much to ask? :pI hope not!:D

guida
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I just wish Fed wasn't there, but I guess you can't have everything, right? :p

blosson
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Nalbandian broke Roger's spell. There is still hope :lol:

guida
01-06-2006, 12:04 AM
:lol:

Carito_90
01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Okay so first Andy's tournament and I'm not getting any coverage. Ugh.

It's gonna be good for him playing a few matches against the top players. I just wish I had the coverage to watch it :sad:.

Anyway, I didn't know Hewitt had lost. God, I'm so into the Hopman Cup I forgot the other tourneys. :lol: Anyway... that can't be bad now can it? :p

I hope Andy has a good start of year *crosses fingers*

Golfnduck
01-06-2006, 01:46 AM
I'm soooo pumped for Kooyong :bounce: Are the going to live scores?

Deboogle!.
01-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Usually there's some TV coverage of it and hopefully some nice Aussies will give scoring :) The semis and final are gonna be on TTC I think, but like over a week delayed :o

snaillyyy
01-06-2006, 02:10 AM
I am so ready for Andy to start playing!!!!:D but also reminds me of the upcoming "joys" of no livescores:(

nkhera1
01-06-2006, 02:59 AM
This will be a difficult openining tournament but its time for Roddick to prove his standing among the best of the rest and a good start could do good things for his confidence. It will be interesting to see what adjusments he has made, and due to Nadal's injury and Hewitt's loss there is a good chance that Roddick may be the #2 seed and miss having Federer in his draw again. Roddick better start playing well before his luck drys up.

Deboogle!.
01-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Roddick better start playing well before his luck drys up.Ain't that the truth.

Chaos Inc.
01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
This will be a difficult openining tournament but its time for Roddick to prove his standing among the best of the rest and a good start could do good things for his confidence. It will be interesting to see what adjusments he has made, and due to Nadal's injury and Hewitt's loss there is a good chance that Roddick may be the #2 seed and miss having Federer in his draw again. Roddick better start playing well before his luck drys up.

Agreed. He is saying all the right things but I am not sure if he really believes it or not. Getting out there and kicking some other top players asses would do miracles for his shaky confidence. If he follows through on his go for broke gameplan, I think the big wins against top players will come.....

warmy
01-07-2006, 07:48 PM
OT, but it just occurred to me. :retard:
If Nadal's out of the AO than Andy should be the #2 seed, right?

Deboogle!.
01-07-2006, 07:50 PM
If Nadal's out of the AO than Andy should be the #2 seed, right?Right.:)

warmy
01-07-2006, 07:54 PM
woot.

blosson
01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
OT, but it just occurred to me. :retard:
If Nadal's out of the AO than Andy should be the #2 seed, right?

Well, everybody knows Andy is the "luckiest" guy around afterall he is a one dimentional player who's number 3 in the world just by pure luck. :p

tangerine_dream
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the AO organizers obviously planned Nadal's injury so that Andy could be seeded No. 2. The favoritism they show towards certain players reeks.

Can't wait to hear what hysterical conspiracy theories the Fedtards will come up with when the AO draw is official (notice how enraged they get whenever Andy's seeded No. 2, like at Wimbledon?) :lol:

Golfnduck
01-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I think it's all a conspiracy, everyone wants Andy to be a bridesmaid.

nkhera1
01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
When does Kooyong start?

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Jan. 11. Draw comes out the day before :)

heya
01-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Agreed. He is saying all the right things but I am not sure if he really believes it or not. Getting out there and kicking some other top players asses would do miracles for his shaky confidence. If he follows through on his go for broke gameplan, I think the big wins against top players will come.....
He's at age 23...time ran out.

He's back to his butt kissing ways.

He's already treating Agassi like a God, which is a bad sign when you're supposed to care about winning. Good bye to another win in San Jose.

He gave the
"Ginepri played so well. I didn't work hard" EXCUSE in Indiana, and proceeded to rush in a choke job.

superpinkone37
01-08-2006, 07:17 AM
heya :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 03:00 PM
More AR.com Fluff:lol:
============
Andy Kicks Off 2006 in Kooyong
January 8th, 2006 11:15 am
By Erica Quandt

Andy will kick off his 2006 season at the fan favorite AAMI Classic invitational in Kooyong, Melbourne, Australia this Wednesday. The unique round robin format pits eight of tennis’s top players against each other over the course of four days.

With the strong field of Roddick, Federer, Coria, Nalbandian, Llubicic, Haas, and Monifils to date, the AAMI Classic is heavily regarded as the most anticipated prelude to the Australian Open. And what better way for Andy to start the season than against the best?

Immediately following the holidays, Andy trained in Hawaii to better acclimate his game to the conditions he will face next week in Australia.

“I think the biggest thing for me is having an off-season to prepare. I’ve been off six weeks and worked extremely hard on getting fit. I’m trying to become a better athlete in general, and I’m more excited to begin a year than I ever have,” Roddick told reporters in a conference call last week.

The AAMI Classic in Kooyong is the ideal environment for Roddick and Goldfine to prepare for the season’s first Grand Slam. The friendly round robin format allows players to battle in low pressure, high caliber matches. The AAMI Classic does not award ATP Race points, rather provides the opportunity to play in several matches that exceed the level of most tournament finals and add confidence for players heading into the Aussie Open.

Last year Federer edged Roddick in the finals at the AAMI Classic. But a rejuvenated and focused Roddick has adopted a “more aggressive mind-set” for 2006 and will be looking to kick off the new year with some big wins in Kooyong.

For more on the AAMI Classic in Kooyong, visit http://www.aamiclassic.com.au/ and check back to Ar.com for all of Andy in Australia.

nkhera1
01-08-2006, 04:02 PM
LOL Roddick working out in Hawaii so he could get adjusted to the climate. Why not just come out and say that Roddick wanted to have a good time? :yeah:

Anyways I'm really excited that Roddick is excited but then again athletes say that every year so I hope Roddick improved aspects of his game other than fitness and I hope that he proves me wrong this year.

heya
01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
He proved to me that :

he can be paid 100 million dollars for doing nothing

Pat 'Davis Cup Cheater' McEnroe will do anything for the USA.
Pat won't disappear from the face of the Earth (although he got booed off the stage at an award ceremony for John Mc).

tangerine_dream
01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I love that Blosson's blue condom av is back :D

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
LOL Roddick working out in Hawaii so he could get adjusted to the climate. Why not just come out and say that Roddick wanted to have a good time? :yeah: :lol:

Based on this 'article' and another more informational one that I posted in the 2006 News thread a while back from AR.com, Andy was there for a whole week, and the nice thing is that there were Rebound Ace courts there. So he's been on Rebound Ace since Dec. 31. That's excellent and probably better surface preparation than he's ever had before. Anyways I'm really excited that Roddick is excited but then again athletes say that every year so I hope Roddick improved aspects of his game other than fitness and I hope that he proves me wrong this year.Well, the thing is, Andy doesn't just come out and say he's excited without being prompted, so, I take that as a positive sign at least. He had as long an off-season this past year than he's EVER had (because he didn't play after Paris, and didn't play the first week of the year or Sydney so it's a few days longer than he's ever had), so there are no excuses. He should be in great shape and he better have worked on other parts of his game (though fitness is more important than just for endurance, b/c it would help his movement and if he can move better, he will for sure play better)...

I'll be disappointed if his returning and court positioning are NO better. I don't expect him to be rallying from 6in inside the baseline or hitting return winners, but I do expect to see some improvement in those two critical areas, and I also expect to see more backhands down the line. We shall see soon enough I suppose.

heya
01-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Andy, 20 years of standing 3 feet behind the baseline
will make you a totally different person this year.

Uh, decide to salivate over the #1 ranking.
Ok, he's #1 on the Wealthy Philanthropist Bachelor List!

Golfnduck
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Deb, I'm also excited to see the changes in his game. Hopefully he actually applies them instead of just talking about them.

blosson
01-08-2006, 09:56 PM
From AR.com

Andy Kicks Off 2006 in Kooyong
January 8th, 2006 11:15 am
By Erica Quandt

Andy will kick off his 2006 season at the fan favorite AAMI Classic invitational in Kooyong, Melbourne, Australia this Wednesday. The unique round robin format pits eight of tennis’s top players against each other over the course of four days.

With the strong field of Roddick, Federer, Coria, Nalbandian, Llubicic, Haas, and Monifils to date, the AAMI Classic is heavily regarded as the most anticipated prelude to the Australian Open. And what better way for Andy to start the season than against the best? Immediately following the holidays, Andy trained in Hawaii to better acclimate his game to the conditions he will face next week in Australia.

“I think the biggest thing for me is having an off-season to prepare. I’ve been off six weeks and worked extremely hard on getting fit. I’m trying to become a better athlete in general, and I’m more excited to begin a year than I ever have,” Roddick told reporters in a conference call last week.

The AAMI Classic in Kooyong is the ideal environment for Roddick and Goldfine to prepare for the season’s first Grand Slam. The friendly round robin format allows players to battle in low pressure, high caliber matches. The AAMI Classic does not award ATP Race points, rather provides the opportunity to play in several matches that exceed the level of most tournament finals and add confidence for players heading into the Aussie Open.

Last year Federer edged Roddick in the finals at the AAMI Classic. But a rejuvenated and focused Roddick has adopted a “more aggressive mind-set” for 2006 and will be looking to kick off the new year with some big wins in Kooyong.

For more on the AAMI Classic in Kooyong, visit http://www.aamiclassic.com.au/ and check back to Ar.com for all of Andy in Australia.

Cheers Tangy, I like my blue condom :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
:lol: hey bloss, you been debitized :haha:
http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2896283&postcount=28

:p

tangerine_dream
01-08-2006, 10:02 PM
:lol: hey bloss, you been debitized :haha:
http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2896283&postcount=28

Well, quit posting your articles in the wrong threads then. :p

blosson
01-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Ah I haven't noticed there was already some serious fluff in this thread. Damn. :p

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Well, quit posting your articles in the wrong threads then. :pI posted it in this thread! LOL!! Scroll up a little or go back a page depending on how many posts per page you have:p

I'm just giving you all a hard time :p:kiss:

LOL bloss, that smiley :haha:

blosson
01-08-2006, 10:11 PM
:lol: Just anxious to check Andy's funky new game plan.

By the way the smilie is me being Debtized.

tangerine_dream
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I posted it in this thread! LOL!! Scroll up a little or go back a page depending on how many posts per page you have:p
Well then you're not formatting your posts correctly. You need to do what smucav used to do and put the news items between "[quote][ /quote]", with a few choice bold quote, that way your posts will stand out more and the rest of us won't get Debitized by accidentally skipping over your posts because nothing stood out, see? ;) :p :lol:

And :haha: blosson, that smilie is hilarious. :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Well then you're not formatting your posts correctly. You need to do what smucav used to do and put the news items between "[ quote][ /quote]", with a few choice bold quote, that way your posts will stand out more and the rest of us won't get Debitized by accidentally skipping over your posts because nothing stood out, see? ;) :p :lol::nerner: I have a reason for not doing that - it makes it harder for people to quote parts of the article if they want to. So there. :D;):p:rolls:

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
According to Aussie papers, Andy's in Melbourne :yeah:

Also, Kiefer replaced Agassi as the 8th person at Kooyong :)

Fumus
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
How much would a win over Fed at Kooyong mean for Andy?

Just throwing it out there.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
A lot, and yet probably not so much. A win would be a win, but it's still a relatively meaningless exhibition. The important thing for him there is to get some confidence and more importantly get used to the conditions and get some matchplay in.

Winston's Human
01-09-2006, 03:38 PM
How much would a win over Fed at Kooyong mean for Andy?

Just throwing it out there.

Given Andy's mental/confidence issues, I think a win over Federer under any condition or circumstance is a strong positive.

Fumus
01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Deb so you are telling me you wouldn't pee your pants in excitement if Andy wins the tourny beating Fed in the final.

Cuz I know I would...lol

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I'd be excited and happy, but cautiously so, because i think he still needs the big wins when it REALLY matters, too.

heya
01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
It didn't mean much when Agassi embarrassed him at exhibitions, especially while playing with his long-retired wife Steffi versus SUPERSTAR Kournikova.
(I wonder how great it is to act like a caveboy who conveniently had amnesia after a certain Australian Open bathroom break.) OOGA MOOGA

It was pitiful enough when Luke Jensen insincerely predicted that AMERICAN HERO RODDICK would RIDE TO A US OPEN TITLE using the LETHAL SERVE. :rolleyes:

During Wimbledon, Luke whined that Andy made the BIG MISTAKE OF FIRING GILBERT. After WTT exhibitions, Luke BOASTED THAT RODDICK LOST to sensational RAMON DELGADO, who saved HIS TEAM.

snaillyyy
01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I know you already said it Deb, but I just love seeing this in print :o:o

Popular American Andy Roddick, who also touched down yesterday, is scheduled for his first practice at Melbourne Park today.:D:D

acoffeygirl
01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I know you already said it Deb, but I just love seeing this in print :o:o

Popular American Andy Roddick, who also touched down yesterday, is scheduled for his first practice at Melbourne Park today.:D:D
I like to see it too!! :)

Golfnduck
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Deb so you are telling me you wouldn't pee your pants in excitement if Andy wins the tourny beating Fed in the final.

Cuz I know I would...lol
I might pee my pants a little, during my heart attack :lol:

heya
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
In the Cincinnati semifinal, Andy acted shocked to look heroic on TV. He totally pee peed himself after scraping the skiin off his arm.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Andy will play Monfils tomorrow :)

Wednesday 11 Jan 2006 (Starting at 11am)
Roger Federer vs Tommy Haas
Andy Roddick vs Gael Monfils
Ivan Ljubicic vs Guillermo Coria
David Nalbandian vs Nicolas Kiefer

Not sure what the rest of the draw looks like

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Deb...I was just about to look to see if anything was posted. Ughhhh I hate that there is not scoring for this!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 12:03 AM
They usually update after every set, at least that was what happened in past years. and some of it is on tv in australia and people will give scores.

monfils will be tough for andy considering it'll be Andy's first match in 2 months and Monfils just made the final of Doha and really pushed Roger. Andy didn't get into town all that early and probably only had one or two practices there :o so yeah. we'll see. He gets 3 matches no matter what, though.

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Glad he is finally going to be playing, I am curious to see if the off season has made any difference.

partygirl
01-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I am curious to see if the off season has made any difference.

NO. :lol:

"let's go roddick...let's go roddick...let's go roddick...let's go roddick..."
-were waiting andrew.

williaer
01-10-2006, 01:08 AM
According to Aussie papers, Andy's in Melbourne :yeah:

Also, Kiefer replaced Agassi as the 8th person at Kooyong :)
oooh ooh which paper was it in?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Tuesday's Herald Sun :)

http://news.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=us/6-0&fp=43c314be37199c97&ei=mxfDQ4-cL5zG6gGI7cyvBQ&url=http%3A//www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0%2C5478%2C17775129%255E2862%2C00.html&cid=0

I don't understand why Andy only got there Monday :shrug: oh well, sigh.

Jennay
01-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Go Andy ;)

williaer
01-10-2006, 01:15 AM
thanks for that! i think i saw andy just before in one of the australian open cars... it looked like him! eh, well, i dunno why he got here on monday either but so long as he knows what he's doing! i spose he's already had good preparation in hawaii and will practise today and possibly tomorrow after his match @ rod laver. let's just hope he plays well!!! :D

i hope he practises tomorrow at RLA because im going to be there for induction day :p oh, and so he gets used to the conditions

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 01:17 AM
He's playing his first match at Kooyong tomorrow (Wednesday), so I doubt he'll be at RLA :(

I'm not worried about his preparation, ellen, but the time difference between there and Hawaii is almost a whole day, it's 21 hours, so it's not that easy to get used to - getting there 2 days before a match just seems odd. Of course, the paper could've been wrong, but whatever. Monfils is gonna be tough for him, regardless of when he arrived.

williaer
01-10-2006, 01:22 AM
He's playing his first match at Kooyong tomorrow (Wednesday), so I doubt he'll be at RLA :(

I'm not worried about his preparation, ellen, but the time difference between there and Hawaii is almost a whole day, it's 21 hours, so it's not that easy to get used to - getting there 2 days before a match just seems odd. Of course, the paper could've been wrong, but whatever. Monfils is gonna be tough for him, regardless of when he arrived.
perhaps but i remember last year andy said he sometimes practised at melbourne park after his matches @ kooyong.

21 hours isnt TOO bad, like, at least it's not 12 hours which is completely different, his sleeping patterns wont change much or anything. and yeah, well, he better beat monfils or else...

Volcanic Tennis
01-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Good Luck against Gael =)

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah, it's definitely better than if he were coming from Austin or Florida, but it's still tough, and there was still no reason for him to not come a couple days earlier. Same old story with him, lol.

For your sake I hope he practices there after his match:p

Golfnduck
01-10-2006, 01:51 AM
I think Gael will be a good opening match for Andy. Andy, let's school baby duck again.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 01:59 AM
More good ole fluff from AR.com :lol:
----------------
Aussie Aussie Aussie, Andy Andy Andy!
January 9th, 2006 10:54 pm
By Erica Quandt

Wednesday, Andy takes on his first tournament of the 2006 season in Kooyong, Melbourne, Australia. The AAMI Classic invitational will be a prime stage for Andy to gear up his game heading into the Australian Open. The loaded field of Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian, Ivan Ljubicic, Nicolas Kiefer, Tommy Haas and Gael Monfils, reads like a ‘whose who’ in tennis, and Andy is ready to top that list.

Last year, Federer clinched the AAMI Classic with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Andy. Following the match, Andy joked with the media about keeping tight lipped on his future tennis strategies. “You know, the last thing I’m going to do is anything that I did learn, talk about it right away so he (Federer) can read it in the papers tomorrow. But it’s good, it’s nice getting to play Roger in a situation like this where you can kind of try things and work the ball around where it’s not for a Wimbledon title or something like that. So I’m not going to tell you anything.”

Although a lot has changed this past year, we still expect Andy will be similarly playful and rarely coy with the media in 2006

Check back to Ar.com for all of Andy in Australia.

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Although a lot has changed this past year, we still expect Andy will be similarly playful and rarely coy with the media in 2006

Check back to Ar.com for all of Andy in Australia.
Rarely coy? :shrug: Isn't he always a little coy?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Yes he is. I'm sure they just don't know what the word means ;):o:p

williaer
01-10-2006, 02:28 AM
:lol: imagine if one of those genius writers came across MTF and saw our constant rapings of their articles. now THAT would be funny

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Yes Ellen it would be!!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Chances are good at least one of them, or someone who knows them, does. But I don't much care what they think LOL They put the articles for all the world to see on the site, so we have every right to judge :p

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:40 AM
PICS:D

Tan :hearts:

WOW Debra it would be good to attach the files :smash:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 02:43 AM
YUM!

partygirl
01-10-2006, 02:43 AM
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :hearts:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Bigger versions edited in :drool:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks Deb!! :hug:

tangerine_dream
01-10-2006, 02:53 AM
WOW. Andy looks fantastic :hearts: All tan, and shaved, and actually looking *happy* and relaxed for once. He looks like a little boy without the weight of the world on his shoulders. That's so great to see. Thanks for the pics, Deb. :banana: :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:00 AM
OMG :haha:

At getty there is the funniest pic of Andy and Roger I've ever seen :haha: :haha:

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:01 AM
OMG Deb :haha: I just looked at that, it is hilarious!! :haha: :haha: oh to know the story behind it!!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:03 AM
I'm still laughing :haha: :haha: :haha:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 03:04 AM
:lol: That picture is great!

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:05 AM
It is going to take alot to top this one :haha: :haha:

williaer
01-10-2006, 03:05 AM
thanks for those pics, deb!! he looks so good!! :D - he has nice hair, is tanned, shaved... um, YUM!!

williaer
01-10-2006, 03:07 AM
:lol: that getty image pic is GOLD!!!!
it looks like roger just proposed to andy. haha
i wonder if there's a type up of the press conference...

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:08 AM
It is my new av :lol:

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:13 AM
:lol: Love it Deb!!

Happy Andy;)
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-10T033425Z_01_MEL02D_RTRIDSP_2_AUSTRALIA-SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

williaer
01-10-2006, 03:14 AM
it looks like andy's lost weight!! :eek:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Well he better be fitter :o Doesn't have to have lost weight if he put on muscle mass, but I'll be :mad: if he isn't fitter :p

Winston's Human
01-10-2006, 03:15 AM
I am glad that Andy is not all scruffy. I don't really care for the disheveled look.

williaer
01-10-2006, 03:16 AM
lol yeah but i think he's lost weight on his face
i cant get over how good he looks - there is actually nothing wrong with him. and his hair is :hearts:

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
WOW!!!!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL107010922_800x600.jpg

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Carole, you 'been DEBITIZED :lol: :haha: :rolls:
http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2903240&postcount=74

tangerine_dream
01-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Carole, you 'been DEBITIZED :lol: :haha: :rolls:
http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2903240&postcount=74
Somebody please Debitize this photo again. :hearts:

Oh, heck, I'll do it. :bowdown: :drool: :lick: :devil: :worship: :inlove:
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL107010922_800x600.jpg[/QUOTE]

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:23 AM
WHOA Sorry tangy holy crap, I meant to QUOTE your post and I think I EDITED by mistake :o :smash: SORRY LOL

anyway LMAO :haha:

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:27 AM
LMFAO!! I just had to to join the debitized club:p:lol: ;) I posted it and was like Oh no, then the phone rings and I am like what the heck leave it :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:29 AM
:haha: :haha:

What's that you said? You want more pics?

OK:D

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:30 AM
oh man

shirtless practice pics on getty.

He doesn't really look any thinner :(.

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Hi ladies...are we bopping??!?! :p

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:41 AM
:lol: yup Amber, full force :p

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:42 AM
HOLY SHIT CAROLE YOUR AV :haha: :haha:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Deb...he sorta looks thinner to me?!? :shrug:

Edit: Love the AV Carole and Deb!

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:45 AM
I couldn't resist Deb ;):kiss: :haha:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Press conference.... I'll paste it in, then edit and bold Andy's stuff and emotize and stuff :)
================
TRANSCRIPT OF AAMI CLASSIC PRESS CONFERENCE HELD AT KOOYONG LAWN TENNIS CLUB ON TUESDAY 10/1/2006:

INTRODUCTION OF PLAYERS AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF DRAW BY HOST

HOST:
Roger, you've started the year particularly well; obviously you're over all your injury concerns?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: Yes, I would say so, for sure. I'm very pleased about it actually because after Shanghai I was wondering how it's going to turn out to be. My foot got really stiff, I need to still work on the foot, and to start off the year the way I did and the movement has been good so I'm happy to say that I can play at 100 per cent again.

Q: You won a magnificent trophy in Catar. What do you do with a sword?

A: What do you do with a sword? I don't know. I got two now. It's good. I will take it to practice, maybe.

Q: Andy, another solid year for you in 2005. All these youngsters keep bobbing up all over the tennis circuit, is that a concern to you at all, does that make you concentrate any harder, work any harder off the court?

ANDY RODDICK:
A: No, I just have to make sure to bring my walker to the courts and back every day. :haha: No, I mean, that's the way tennis is, it's cyclical, and I think it's exciting having players like Gael and Berdych played well and Nadal is leading the way, I think it's exciting to see a new generation coming forth. I don't like it but it's good for the game and these guys are good personalities, which will help.

Q: Ivan, welcome to you and congratulations on the Davis Cup performance. Is it starting to die down back home now, the excitement?

IVAN LJUBICIC:
A: Just about, I guess. It was a fantastic success, obviously the crowd was really excited about it and now we have also two events in Croatia so tennis is becoming a big sport back home.

Q: Was that your greatest achievement so far in tennis?

A: Of course, by far.

Q: Anything that you've done ranked anywhere near?

A: Olympic medal, bronze medal in doubles is also a nice achievement but obviously nothing even close to this.

Q: Guillermo, welcome back to you and all the best for you in 2006. I just wonder whether this is the perfect way to have a buildup for the Australian Open, a Grand Slam event, being able to play in succession some of the world's best players?

GUILLERMO CORIA:
A: It is important for him to play this tournament ....

Q: We wish you all the best. It was a difficult question to translate, by the way. David Nalbandian is joining us again and, David, it's always good to see you down here in Australia. I was reading recently about the way that you like play your tennis and the tactics that you like to employ. Do you enjoy the fact that players find it difficult to play against you?

DAVID NALBANDIAN:
A: I always find difficult playing against them. I really enjoy playing tennis and move the opponents in the front of the net always is fun but I always try to do my best, I really enjoy my tactics.

Q: Tommy, how have you spent the break? You've been on the circuit for a while, do you need to rest your body or have you been training all the way through?

TOMMY HAAS:
A: To be honest, I've had enough breaks with my injuries in the past two to three years so I'm happy to be injury free, enjoy my time off, obviously trying to get ready for this year and I had a pretty good start, I would say, the last week and happy to play against these guys this week and give it my best this year and see what happens.

Q: Gael, you had an interesting match up last week against Roger. Was that a great opportunity for you to see how much further you have to go as a tennis player to be at the top?

GAEL MONFILS:
A: Yes, it was a good experience for me. I hope I will maybe next time improve a bit, maybe to take one set or take the match....

Q: You spent a bit of time out on the court with him, did you notice any weaknesses in his game?

A: Yes, a little bit.

Q: Would you look forward to playing him again this week, Roger?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: I hope in the finals, not on the other finals.

Q: Nicholas, welcome to you. I guess it's a great thing for you to be able to be part of this tournament in the lead up to the Australian Open?

NICHOLAS KIEFER:
A: Yes, of course I'm very happy and thanks to Colin and everybody who makes this happen here. I didn't expect it but then all of a sudden I got a call and it's a great warm up and good matches.

Q: In a tournament like this, do you look for weaknesses or is it a chance to experiment with your own game against some of the world's best players?

A: You have three good matches and you can try some different things and try to be ready for next week.

HOST:
What we are going to do now is throw it open to the media for questions.

Q: Roger, this time of the year attention is always drawn, particularly for the world number one player, as to what their chances are of winning a Grand Slam and whether that actually appears on their radar at all. Is that something that you could be aiming for this year?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: To win a Grand Slam?

Q: To win The Grand Slam.

A: I don't know. We'll know in three weeks if that's still an issue. It was very quickly gone after I lost the semis last year but, to be honest, I don't think about it; it's way too much and the guys on tour are so tough and on every surface you have basically experts so it makes it hard but it would obviously be nice to start off the year in great style and win the Aussie Open but that I know is very hard to do.

Q: Is it a motivating factor at all, the prospect that you could win The Grand Slam?

A: It's for everybody the same, isn't it? I think everybody should be excited about the new year.

Q: Roger, this time last year you took out the AAMI Classic after Doha but had a few injury concerns. How do you compare yourself to last year?

A: Obviously the injury, this last one I had, was the ankle, it was more serious than the injury I had two years ago it was just a little tear in my thigh, this year it was the ankle and obviously I felt better coming into last year as Doha and Kooyong but now after I played at Doha I feel good and I'm also hitting the ball well and we will see how Kooyong goes but I've been here in Sydney, practiced with Tony already, so I'm used to the heat and the conditions and this tournament I know it now, after playing it twice. I'm feeling good but I think maybe last year I would felt even a little better because of the injury.

Q: Lleyton has obviously had some time off for injury and also becoming a dad and now the news yesterday that he is suffering from a stomach bug. Do you still see him as your number one threat in the Australian Open?

A: Well, he's definitely a hot favourite because of the home crowd support and the great run he had here last year, just the good player he is, but then again we have other great players, many of them sitting here at the table, all of them, and it's going to be extremely hard. I see as usual four Grand Slams at the moment, big number of guys who have got a shot to win the first Grand Slam of the year.

Q: Andy, Andre hurt himself playing racquet ball. Have you now added that to your list of things not to do?:rolleyes:

ANDY RODDICK:
A: I think that's kind of a fluke thing. We play tennis all year, moving side to side on our ankles now all of a sudden he plays racquet ball and turns it, I think that's just unfortunate but it's not one of my hobbies so I don't have to worry about cutting it out.

Q: Do you have to be careful about what you do or don't do when you are not hitting tennis bulls?

A: Of course. I don't think you are going to see any of us going on a skiing vacation, or popping wheelies on motorcycles or anything like that. It's just stuff that happens. You've seen it before with guys playing basketball and twisting an ankle and it's just the kind of unfortunate accidents that happen sometimes.

Q: Roger, looks like you are going to start the Australian Open as the shortest priced favourite ever in the history of the tournament ahead of Sampras and other greats. Is the game over already, do you think?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: Well, I don't know. I felt like last year was quite crazy, already they were going I already won the tournament before I even started to play. It's pretty calm this year, I don't know why, it's just a feeling I have but it's good to have the odds for you than against you but, again, it's the first Grand Slam of the year, we've all had a rest and everybody is looking for form, also myself so we will see how it goes.

Q: Does that put you under extra pressure to know that you are the overwhelming red hot favourite?

ANDY RODDICK:
A: It's real different for him to be in that position, you know.:spit: :haha:

ROGER FEDERER:
A: I haven't experienced it for a while so I'm not really used to it, yeah. I'm used to it so it doesn't red hot or hot favourite, whatever, I'm used to it.

Q: Ivan, you've had the longest season of these guys and you still managed to win Chennai. What is your advice?

IVAN LJUBICIC:
A: You play when you are ready. Obviously there are many tournaments out there, you just have to pick the ones that you feel like you are going to be fit to play and I felt like I was ready for Chennai and turned out that I was right, I'm feeling good, I'm fit and I'm going to play obviously tournaments when I'm fit. I hope it's going to be a lot of tournaments but depends on my body; obviously you cannot over play it but it was a long season but I had also holes in the middle, I didn't play much middle of the season so I still feel fresh.

Q: David, has your Masters Cup win in Shanghai given you more confidence that you can win a major now, is that a big step for you to take?

DAVID NALBANDIAN:
A: Of course it was a big step but, like Roger says, there's a lot of good players in here playing the Grand Slam and everybody wants to win it so it's going to be tough but of course the Shanghai gave me more confidence so I will try to take the first one.

Q: Roger, last year as compared to 2004, and I am talking about results, just in the way that you play the game, how much do you think that you are a better player in 2005 as opposed to 2004, your ability to do different things or just how comfortable you were feeling, not just in results but in the way you were playing?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: I think it was the experience I gained through all the years, especially 2004 playing without a coach, that helped me a lot, and I think you sort of take things away from that and understand the game better and you're more sure of what you've got to do in the right moments and how to prepare and little things like this for me made quite a difference and I thought 2005 was great, even though maybe looking back 2004 was better because of the three Grand Slams and the Masters Cup, but I hardly lost in 2005 which was absolutely fantastic. I think my game is improving a little bit, obviously it's just slightly because I don't want to go away from my game plan and I think I have to keep improving as the guys are improving too and they obviously want to beat you, they come up with new stuff too I've always got to be ready for them.

Q: Roger, do you prepare differently for the Australian Open, for major events that you do normal events?

A: No. To be honest, for the last three years I've been basically preparing the same way for slams and tournaments, maybe arriving a day or a couple days earlier or later, depending on what tournament I was playing and so on, but I've really gotten into this routine where basically the preparation is always the same.

Q: Andy, with injury clouds over a lot of the top players do you see this week's Aussie Open as your best chance?

ANDY RODDICK:
A: Best chance of?

Q: Winning it.

A: Going into a Grand Slam you know if you are going to win it you're going to have to beat the top players, it's just the way it is. I don't really look at my chances of the Australian Open being dependent upon whether someone pulls out or plays, I think each person has to focus on their tournament and their campaign and how they're going to try to win it. I don't really focus on stuff that's too far out of my control.

Q: Andy, do you still put your trophies when you win them above the seat in the aeroplane? :rolleyes:

A: Never.

Q: Tommy, it's not unusual to have players continuing well into their 30s. Now that injuries are becoming more of a factor do you think careers are going to become shorter and shorter?

TOMMY HAAS:
A: I would hope it's the opposite, that I think we all look up to Andre Agassi and what he has accomplished in his early 30s and still is accomplishing but it's not going to get any easier either; there's so many young guns coming up and the game is very brutal on your body, week in and week out, and you just have to make sure that you try to stay away from the injuries in the best possible way and sometimes you just can't do anything about it but I think if you play the right tournaments, you don't overdo it, and you pick the right ones to play good in, I think you can stay in the early mid 30s and still play some good tennis.

Q: Roger, Davis Cup first round this year.

ROGER FEDERER:
A: If I'm going to play or not?

Q: Yes.

A: I don't know yet. After the Aussie Open I will decide.

Q: Nicholas, how are you playing after the Hopman Cup?

NICHOLAS KEIFER:
A: It's getting better and better, I'm ready to go. I had good treatment and looks good.

Q: Roger, what is the motivating factor in the Davis Cup decision, if you have success at the Australian Open?

ROGER FEDERER:
A It depends on the result at the Aussie Open a little bit. I want to see how that goes, I wanted to first see how the foot goes, I'm sort of over it now but now that I'm heading into the Australian Open I don't want to make a decision on the Davis Cup so I might as well just wait and see how it goes and shortly after the Australian Open is over I will make a decision about Davis Cup against you guys.

Q: Last year you said your priority was to protect your number one ranking, that that was very important to you. Have your priorities changed at all in terms of any of the things that you might be able to achieve this year?

A: I've protected that ranking for quite sometime now so that is my big goal for this, I have got to play consistently well. Obviously one Grand Slam a year would be nice, I've done that over the last three years so hopefully I can do that again this year and my favourite would be Wimbledon of course because it means the most.

Q: How do you set the bar higher given that you have achieved those things over the past few years?

A: I don't need to set it higher. I've got to keep on improving my game and enjoy it. Stay hungry for wins, that is not a problem because I enjoy it and once you arrive on the big stage it's no problem for motivation whatsoever so you don't need to set the bar higher because it's already difficult enough to maintain.

HOST:
Q: David, we talk about momentum in sport. How important is it to start the season well in tennis?

DAVID NALBANDIAN:
A: It is very important. More important is when you feel healthy and that's more important than your game and maybe during the year you can start winning matches and feel more confidence but if you don't feel healthy that's tough. Of course when you start very good the season it's very good for the rest of the year so everyone is going to do the best that they can from here.

HOST:
Q: Ivan, I just wonder with the victory in the Davis Cup what that might do for tennis in Croatia, do you think?

IVAN LJUBICIC:
A: It's definitely going to be very big. We have obviously soccer team which is the favourite sport in Croatia, not only in Croatia (indistinct) in skiing so we are trying to challenge these sports but I think it is big now after my win in .... in 1997, Goran winning in 2001 Wimbledon, now we did 2005 so it's kind of every four years. I hope we're not going to wait another four years for something big but it's good and we heard back home that more and more kids are playing tennis.

Q: You mentioned soccer. Croatia is drawn in Australia's pool at the World Cup. What would be very fearful of Australian soccer?

A: Well, as I know it a lot of Croatians are playing actually for Australia but it's a tough group, obviously Brazil is the favourite one but the other three teams they have to fight for the second spot.

Q: Which would mean more to Croatia, a win in the Davis Cup or a win at the World Cup?

A: World Club obviously; soccer is the biggest sport by far but still to be world champion in anything it's great stuff so we are still enjoying this one.

Q: Roger, life without Andre, does it feel different without the old guy around here in Australia?

ROGER FEDERER:
A: It is a pity because we had a good match in the quarters last year and he has had some unbelievable results here in Australia so obviously it's a pity because everywhere he goes and plays he's a favourite to win. I don't want to say it's better for us but it definitely takes away a huge candidate to win and I guess if he's not here it means he doesn't feel like he's ready to win the tournament. It's a pity, I always enjoy playing Andre and I think everybody does because of what he has done to tennis and all his results make it obviously very special to be playing tennis with him.

Q: Roger, what kind of work were you able to do with Tony this time around and how did it differ to the things you did last year?

A: It was very similar. We had about 10 days both times and work on everything, focusing on all the strokes and just working hard and getting ready for this season. It's nothing particular I could mention what we did, it's just spending time together and spend time on the court. It was good, good weather instead of being in zero degrees back home in Switzerland I just thought that was just a better preparation.

Q: Did you actually spend Christmas here or back home?

A: I was here for Christmas.

Q: That's become a bit of a routine for you?

A: It was the first time.

Q: I thought were you here last year.

A: I was in the plane last year for Christmas. This year was New Year's; it's getting better.

HOST:
We might wrap it up there and I know you would like to join me in thanking the players for their participation today and wish them well for the AAMI Classic.

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:54 AM
:D:DThanks Deb!! He is always the comedian :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Yeah he is but man he was asked some really DUMB questions.:o

Noelle
01-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Heh. :) Just adding .04 cents to my vcash total. :p Why can't Star Sports cover Kooyong? :mad:

snaillyyy
01-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Yep I would have to agree there:( especially the one about injuries.:rolleyes:

Noelle
01-10-2006, 04:01 AM
OMG I just saw this...
Q: Do you have to be careful about what you do or don't do when you are not hitting tennis bulls?
All I can say is

TORO!!!!!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Group photo! Click pic for BIG One

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-10T044900Z_01_MEL05D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-AUSTRALIA.jpg (http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-10T044900Z_01_MEL05D_RTRIDSP_3_SPORT-TENNIS-AUSTRALIA.jpg)

heya
01-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Looks like everyone else takes work seriously, except him.

renee_chin
01-10-2006, 04:33 AM
haven't seen these posted yet :D

williaer
01-10-2006, 04:41 AM
in the second pic on getty (of him serving) he looks like a skinny little bitch... you can count his ribs!!! :eek:
but otherwise, i think he looks more muscular... first you have to add muscle, then drop the excess weight so i guess that's what's happening.

Andy: No, I just have to make sure to bring my walker to the courts and back every day.

omg that is too good :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 04:45 AM
His tummy does not look thinner or muscular to me at all, in the ones of him standing regularly :( :shrug:

renee_chin
01-10-2006, 04:50 AM
turkey weight :p

williaer
01-10-2006, 04:50 AM
His tummy does not look thinner or muscular to me at all, in the ones of him standing regularly :( :shrug:
:shrug: i dunno, maybe he was breathing out... or not. haha

superpinkone37
01-10-2006, 05:00 AM
In the picture above it looks like he is exhaling, but really, I cannot tell lol. I don't care whether he lost of few pounds or not either...I just care that whatever he did over the off season creates some results. right?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Yep, we'll find out tomorrow :shrug:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Another pic... this one isn't as funny LOL

williaer
01-10-2006, 05:05 AM
cant wait!!!!! :D
i think i might get someone to tape it cus ill be @ melbourne park

woohoo for andy playing!

omg... will there be a new outfit :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 05:06 AM
omg... will there be a new outfit :confused:I'm not getting my hopes up :o

MissMoJo
01-10-2006, 05:08 AM
WOW!!!!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MEL107010922_800x600.jpg
I must say, even Roger seems smitten :o :p

nobama
01-10-2006, 05:43 AM
Really large version.

Golfnduck
01-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Andybopper Jen time.....Andy is freaking hot :hearts: :drool:

nobama
01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
short video of press conference, along with Andy's pong commercial:

http://media.theage.com.au/?category=&site=age&rid=17827&rate=313&sy=age&source=int17827f&t=09PPIG&player=wm7&ie=1&flash=1

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:01 AM
omg thanks so much for finding that! andy is looking so hot at the moment!! :p you can really tell they're trying to play it safe with this commercial because the mojo one sucked big time! it's alright... nothing amazing. everyone should go to www.stoppong.com.au and you can watch a behind the scenes thing for when they made the commercial

thanks again for posting the link!!

Noelle
01-10-2006, 07:03 AM
My av says it all. :drool:

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:31 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

warmy
01-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Dear God,

I would like to be the middle of an Andy and Tommy sandwich.

...that is all.

guida
01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
:eek: :eek:

Now if his play would only match his looks, we'd be in for the best year EVER. :drool:

williaer
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
amen to that!!

nobama
01-10-2006, 10:47 AM
This is actually one commercial I won't mind seeing over and over again on ESPN during Oz. Anything is better than Maria's Cannon power shot commercial shown ad nausem during FO and Wimbledon.

Another pic:

http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-01/10_2133002_3.jpg

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Hehe the commercial's cute.
----------------------------
Roddick the gags ace – bar none
Mark Stevens in Melbourne
11jan06

ANDY Roddick couldn't help himself when Kooyong Classic boss Colin Stubs yesterday offered an open invitation to make use of the swish club's gym and pool.

"Where's the bar?" Roddick playfully chipped in.:lol:

Roddick was the one cracking all the gags as he joined Roger Federer, David Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria, Tommy Haas, Gael Monfils, Ivan Ljubicic and Nicolas Kiefer for the launch of the Kooyong Classic.

When you can't get close to getting back to No. 1 with a bloke called Federer in the way, you've got to keep your sense of humour.

Roddick, 23, climbed the mountain to No. 1 in 2003 but Federer has dominated the scene ever since. These days, the US cult hero has to make do with No. 3.

Lleyton Hewitt has also been a frustration, continually outlasting and out-thinking the big-serving American. It happened again at the Australian Open last year.

Roddick has made the semis here in 2003 and 2005 and won his way through to the quarters in 2004. With Marat Safin, Rafael Nadal and Andre Agassi hobbled by injury, his prospects seem bright again.

So with the talent pool at the top a little thinner than last year, is this his best chance of finally claiming the first Grand Slam event of the year?

"Going into a Grand Slam, you know if you're going to win it you're going to have to beat the top players," Roddick said.

"It's just the way it is. I don't look at my chances at the Australian Open being dependent on others.

"Each person has to focus on their tournament and their campaign. I don't want to focus on stuff that is too far out of my control."

Considering he has won more than 50 matches on tour in each of the past four years, Roddick seems a veteran even though he has claimed only one major – the 2003 US Open.

He joked that the new generation emerging – led by the likes of Monfils and Nadal – was exciting, but he was starting to feel old.

"I just have to make sure I bring my walker," Roddick said.

Roddick also had a few words for Agassi, a seriously old man of the tour who is missing from the Open this year.

He was deadly serious about the the handball mishap that wrecked Agassi's ankle and derailed his Open hopes, saying it was only a freak accident.

But asked if the players had to be careful about what strange sports they attempt, Roddick light-heartedly said he was lucky handball wasn't one of his hobbies.

"I don't think you're going to see any of us going on a skiing vacation or popping wheelies on a motorcycle or anything like that," he said.

Golfnduck
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
The commerical is cute. I can't wait to follow tennis tonight :bounce: It feels like forever since Andy has played.

cobalt60
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Just want to wish him well in Kooyong!!

tangerine_dream
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Another pic... this one isn't as funny LOL
No, but I like that the word "classic" seems to be coming out of Andy's mouth. :lol:

Good luck to the tanned hottie tonight. :banana:

Sorry for the bopping. :p

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry for the bopping. :pYou're not sorry! :p

Fumus
01-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Is there a draw for Kooyong yet? Sorry I am far too lazy to go searching for one...please just Debitize it for me.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
There is one somewhere, but not on the tournament site. All we know are the first four matches...

Fumus
01-10-2006, 04:06 PM
There is one somewhere, but not on the tournament site. All we know are the first four matches...

*cough* *cough*

and... :)

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
And what????

Angle Queen
01-10-2006, 04:27 PM
short video of press conference, along with Andy's pong commercial:

http://media.theage.com.au/?category=&site=age&rid=17827&rate=313&sy=age&source=int17827f&t=09PPIG&player=wm7&ie=1&flash=1:sad: I got to see the press conference...but not the commercial. Was it somewhere buried on that site?

warmy
01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
:sad: I got to see the press conference...but not the commercial. Was it somewhere buried on that site?

It showed right before the press conference, on the same media window.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Marlene, if you go to the site Ellen linked, http://www.stoppong.com.au/, it takes you to the Amex page for the pong stuff and all the videos are there. For the commercial click the one that says TVC(for TV Commercial, I suppose)

PinkFeatherBoa
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
So, Andy's playing tennis again.

Those pics from Kooyong are :drool:. That is a big compliment from me, seeing as I'm one of those Andy fans who doesn't really find him attractive.
If his game is looking anywhere near as good, then we'd be in for a good year. *hopes*

*puts serious hat back on and bolts herself in for the ride*

So I calculated he plays at about 2am my time, yay- viva late nights combined with early mornings. I best go get the caffeine to hand. :bounce:

Fumus
01-10-2006, 05:41 PM
and...who does Andy play when?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
He plays Monfils, tonight our time. About, oh, 9pm or so for you I'd imagine.

warmy
01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
So I calculated he plays at about 2am my time, yay- viva late nights combined with early mornings. I best go get the caffeine to hand. :bounce:

You should try that new Mountain Dew energy drink. It looks like it might keep a girl lively. :eek:

PinkFeatherBoa
01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
You should try that new Mountain Dew energy drink. It looks like it might keep a girl lively. :eek:

I shall look for some,thanks, going to be needing it during the AO. :)
For now, I'll cope, I'm pretty good at staying up to ridiculous hours. I'm most energetic and active at 1/2/3/am in the morning. :o

Golfnduck
01-10-2006, 07:11 PM
He plays Monfils, tonight our time. About, oh, 9pm or so for you I'd imagine.
Deb, what time does the match start for you?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 07:14 PM
3 hours earlier ;)

I kid.

Play starts at 11am Melbourne time, that's 7pm Eastern, 4pm Pacific. Andy's the 2nd match

Golfnduck
01-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Carito_90
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Okay all those pictures are amazing. I had seen the Andy/Roger's ones before and damn, they should just like, go to Vegas and have a wild night there and then just go marry. Duh.

All in all, everyone's looking hot and ready for this season except Lleyton. Yay! :D

P.S.: Stupid tv doesn't have coverage of Kooyong :( I wanted to see Andy's first match :sad:

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
3 hours earlier ;)

I kid.

Play starts at 11am Melbourne time, that's 7pm Eastern, 4pm Pacific. Andy's the 2nd match
smartay pants for knowing all those time zones!! im a retard at things like that

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
smartay pants for knowing all those time zones!! im a retard at things like thatLOL I only know b/c we discussed it the other night on MSN :p

what are you doing up so early missy?

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
LOL I only know b/c we discussed it the other night on MSN :p

what are you doing up so early missy?
can't sleep... dunno why! maybe it's because im super excited about starting work at the tennis today? not sure!!

oooh... you know how im meeting andy @ the restaurant? well, the chef called my friend last night (who is @ the beach) and said "you should come tonight, andy is having dinner with tim henman!" but we couldnt :( so we're going on saturday. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

warmy
01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
3 hours earlier ;)

I kid.

Wait, I'm confused. Time Ticker (http://www.timeticker.com/) says it's currently 6:30 in Melbourne, that means that practicaly Alaska time is 5hrs ahead. If it starts at 11:00am that would mean that it starts at 4pm Alaska time, 5pm Pacific, and 8pm Eastern. Right?

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Time Ticker (http://www.timeticker.com/) says it's currently 6:30 in Melbourne, that means that practicaly Alaska time is 5hrs ahead. If it starts at 11:00am that would mean that it starts at 4pm Alaska time, 5pm Pacific, and 8pm Eastern. Right?
nah, it's 7.37 here (it's daylight savings time so add an hr)

warmy
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh good. Stupid Time Ticker has lead me astray.

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
lol... im a fan of www.timeanddate.com
it's good... (and accurate :p )

warmy
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey this is cool. World Time Converter (http://www.worldtimeserver.com/time_converter.aspx)

I like that one too. Thanks.

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the link for the commercial!! :)

MisterQ
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Kooyong! Kooyong!
Get out the bong!
Put on your sarong!
Sing a little song!
Accompanied by a gong!
Put on a thong!
We've waited so long!
Andy, play strong!
Don't play ping pong!
Don't hit wimpy moonballs like Neil Armstrong!
Hit Roger in the schlong!
(Don't really, that would just be wrong! ;) )

:singer: :silly:

cobalt60
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Kooyong! Kooyong!
Get out the bong!
Put on your sarong!
Sing a little song!
Accompanied by a gong!
Put on a thong!
We've waited so long!
Andy, play strong!
Don't play ping pong!

:lol:
Q, Take 2 highballs or moonballs and call me in the morning.

warmy
01-10-2006, 07:51 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MisterQ again.

:worship: :worship: :worship: I am not worthy! :worship: :worship: :worship:

surfpinky
01-10-2006, 07:52 PM
andy :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
roger :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

williaer
01-10-2006, 07:52 PM
:lol: :haha: oh my god q. you have outdone yourself. that is just.... gold

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
:haha: Q, remember the first time Andy played Kooyong 2 years ago the title was "Pass the Bong it's time for Kooyong?" :haha:

Aww Ellen I bet it is your excitement :D Very cool about the restaurant, and nice to hear Andy's going out with Timmy LMFAO

I am a fan of timeanddate.com too :)

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Q does it again!

surfpinky
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Q :bowdown:

tangerine_dream
01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Kooyong! Kooyong!
Get out the bong!
Put on your sarong!
Sing a little song!
Accompanied by a gong!
Put on a thong!
We've waited so long!
Andy, play strong!
Don't play ping pong!

Consider yourself repped. :haha: :rolls: :lol: :haha: :rolls: :lol:

MisterQ
01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
:haha: Q, remember the first time Andy played Kooyong 2 years ago the title was "Pass the Bong it's time for Kooyong?" :haha:

Of course I remember -- despite the bong! :smoke: :smoke:

This is my favorite tournament ever!! ;) :tennis: :woohoo: :yippee:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Of course I remember -- despite the bong! :smoke: :smoke:

This is my favorite tournament ever!! ;) :tennis: :woohoo: :yippee::haha: :haha: :haha:

williaer
01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
uh oh... it's cold, dark and rainy outside :(
it better clear up so they can play @ kooyong!!!

MisterQ
01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Verse No. 3 (found in the archives) ;)

Life without the great Kooyong
Is like a fork without a prong
You can't snag a pea if the tine's oblong
See what I mean about Kooyong?

Have you read the works of Walter Ong?
Neither have I -- they're far too long.
I couldn't even sit through King Kong
But I'll never sleep through the great Kooyong.
No, I'll never sleep though the great Kooyong. :dance:

Jennay
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Q! :haha: :haha:

Heyyyyy :p I like tanned Andy. :hearts:
KJSFSIFBSFO98WBH3273BR8FB Haas Haas Haas Haas Haas :drool:.

:bolt:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:33 PM
it better clear up so they can play @ kooyong!!!eep. hopefully!! If not, I guess they'll just compact the schedule somehow :unsure:

LMAO Q!

Jennay
01-10-2006, 08:34 PM
it better clear up so they can play @ kooyong!!!
I thought we were in Australia. :p

williaer
01-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I thought we were in Australia. :p
we bring out our best when we're on show... NOT!
they say it'll clear up... i think it's slowing and hopefully it'll be nice weather by 11

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
hopefully, ellen! thanks for the weather updates :cool::rain:

Acording to the Aussie papers, Andy and Venus will launch an Amex thing tomorrow (like they did before wimby I suppose)

williaer
01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
bitchy article:

Serena has weighty issue
By staff writers
January 11, 2006

SERENA Williams hit Rod Laver Arena yesterday carrying more than just her kit bags.

The defending Australian Open champion returned to Melbourne Park with her weight the talk of the tennis circuit yesterday.

The bootylicious former world No.1 took to her practice session in tight, white, three-quarter leggings, hiding nothing from the happy labourers who watched agog as she hit up with big sister Venus ahead of Monday's opening session.

Officially weighted at 61kg by the WTA Tour, Serena cut a fearsome figure at Melbourne Park yesterday.

She appeares heavier than usual, though, heading into the year's first Major, and doubts still linger over her fitness.

Her ankles were heavily strapped, and knee swelling has also plagued her recently, leading to an early withdrawal from the Champions Challenge in Hong Kong last week.

Serena had not played competitive tennis for three months ahead of the lead-in tournament after suffering an embarrassing first round defeat at the China Open last September.

She was dealt another blow in her first match in Hong Kong by Russian world No.9 Elena Dementieva, who won their clash 6-3 6-1 with very little fuss.

The ordinary run of form led to Serena being ranked outside the world's top 10 for the first time in seven years when the WTA Tour released its table of stars yesterday.
She came in at an unlucky No.13.

By contrast. Venus, the current Wimbledon champion and ranked No.10 in the world, was a study of agile athleticism as she bopped and boogied to music played over loudspeakers in Melbourne as a stream of grand slam stars practised their games.

She will join Andy Roddick for tomorrow's launch of the American Express Aces program which raises $100 for the Kids Tennis Foundation for every ace hit during the tournament.

hm... i wonder what they're doing to launch it.... do i need to be anywhere to see anything??

surfpinky
01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
omg I just saw pictures of serena at getty :eek: :eek:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah:o

heya
01-10-2006, 08:54 PM
"Each person has to focus on their tournament and their campaign. I don't want to focus on stuff that is too far out of my control." Andy, say what everyone wants to hear, Andy Liar! The king of distractions tells us about his great focus. :o

PinkFeatherBoa
01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
and nice to hear Andy's going out with Timmy LMFAO

:hearts:

heya
01-10-2006, 10:07 PM
1 Federer
Nadal
2 Roddick :retard: :o
3 Hewitt
4 Nalbandian
5 Davydenko
Agassi :good news. Andy will retire sooner than him:
6 Coria
7 Ljubicic
8 Gaudio
---------------------
9 Gonzalez
Safin :oh my:
10 Johansson T
11 Ferrer
12 Hrbaty
13 Ginepri

LMFAO All injured players and Andy's empty skull = Crap Hell!! Yo.

DJ dropshot
01-10-2006, 10:39 PM
This Roger/ Andy Kooyong video is buried in a Safin article in Fox News:

Click the video link inside the article at:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17789831-23209,00.html?from=rss#

Definitely worth it! Shirtless Andy practicing!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks DJ :) (firefox users: I had to open up IE to view it)

Andy does not look fitter to me at all, and he was practicing rallies in that vid 10 ft behind the baseline :sad:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks DJ :) (firefox users: I had to open up IE to view it)

Andy does not look fitter to me at all, and he was practicing rallies in that vid 10 ft behind the baseline :sad:
He was just fooling those that might be watching. He doesn't want the competition to know his new game plan! (I'm sure that it is!) :lol:

nkhera1
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM

Lol Do you have a link? Its a site I really can't imagine.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2006, 11:39 PM
MTF blocks out getty b/c the pics aren't allowed here but go to www.getty images.com without the space and search for her name :)

blosson
01-11-2006, 12:18 AM

Which ones? Are you referring to the one she's wearing white pants?

surfpinky
01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Which ones? Are you referring to the one she's wearing white pants?
all of them |:

blosson
01-11-2006, 12:51 AM
all of them |:

Rha hahaha :haha:

renee_chin
01-11-2006, 01:23 AM
scoreboard for kooyong at http://www.7sport.com.au/Default.aspx?sport=TNS&module=COMPLIST

go to TENNIS on the sidebar, and click on SCOREBOARD. scroll down/up to find KOOYONG.

Fed vs. Haas is done (Haas won in 3) so Andy should be starting soon. :)

Volcanic Tennis
01-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Good luck Andy, you can do this! :bounce: Win your first match and 2006 :bounce:

Winston's Human
01-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Andy gives a 6-2,6-2 tutorial for Gael.

Not too shabby a start for the new season.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 02:50 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: I am pleased. Not pleased with all white, but pleased with the scoreline.

Golfnduck
01-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Andy :woohoo: :bigclap:
Great start to the year....perfect on break point conversions.

tangerine_dream
01-11-2006, 02:52 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: I am pleased. Not pleased with all white, but pleased with the scoreline.
Ditto, ditto! Now if he would just wear COLOR I would be 100% pleased. :cool: Nice win, Andy.

Noelle
01-11-2006, 02:53 AM
:drool: I love the smell of 6-2 6-2 symmetrical scores. :D

snaillyyy
01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Nice start Andy!!! :yeah:

warmy
01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
So does anyone know what the draw is? I mean whose our boy gonna play next?

renee_chin
01-11-2006, 02:55 AM
not bad for his first competitive match of the year... with monfils making the finals in doha and stressing out federer a bit, can't say i was all that optimistic before the start of the match

but,
yay!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

superpinkone37
01-11-2006, 02:56 AM
:D Nice way to start the year.

heya
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Don't be surprised by my negative post.

Mr. Wasted Talent just needed to raise his return game to top 15 level.
Too bad he decided to be MEDIA STAR and sank to #50 in return games won %. Bad as Rusedski and Gonzo. :o

warmy
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
scoreboard for kooyong at http://www.7sport.com.au/Default.aspx?sport=TNS&module=COMPLIST

Thank you for this.
My god, I just can't get over how good Andy is looking. He started looking so strung out after Wimbledon. I think the time off has really done him wonders, if not for his game, for his health and peace of mind.

renee_chin
01-11-2006, 03:09 AM
can anyone refresh my memory on how this round robin thing for this tourney works? doesn't seem like they have 2 groups since it's no where to be found.

so what now? winners vs. winners, losers vs. loservs? or there are actually groups - just that the information is kept secret from us stalkers??

i was away on a conference last year, and had to rely on my sister phoning me to update me the results, so i basically have no memory on how this works and can't seem to find any FAQ on this :p

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 03:10 AM
in years past it worked like a regular 8-man draw, like starting at the QFs. Winners play winners til there's a winner, and losers play losers to get the 3 matches guaranteed. I remember we had trouble getting the actual draw last time too. I guess we'll figure out more when tomorrow's schedule is released and we see who plays whom :lol:

heya
01-11-2006, 03:23 AM
The webmaster couldn't type the correct score. :smash:

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 03:24 AM
It's fixed now, no worries heya! :)

heya
01-11-2006, 03:32 AM
:constipated webmaster:
One dimensional---is only in Andy's mind.

Where's angiel, the sycophantic minion? :o

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 03:33 AM
:D

I'll update with bigger ones should they become available (2 edited in)

nkhera1
01-11-2006, 03:36 AM
How did Andy play? Dang its been a long time since he has had a 6-2, 6-2 match other than the match against Hrbatey in Lyon.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Read the thread in the exhibitions forum, it sounds like he played pretty well, esp. considering it was his first match of the year :)

Chaos Inc.
01-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Got to love the winners off the forehand and even more, the backhand side.

Andy going for his shots = Andy winning..........

nkhera1
01-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Read the thread in the exhibitions forum, it sounds like he played pretty well, esp. considering it was his first match of the year :)

Thank you, I didn't even know there was an exhibition thread. Anyways the forehand sounded really good in the commentary and the backhand didn't seem to be too much of a problem which is excellent. Roddick looks to be in great shape and even though he missed a lot of service returns it will improve imo and it was nice to hear that he is standing at the baseline for 2nd serves. I hope Andy has moved closer to the baseline as well, but its a good start to his season because if Haas can beat Federer than surely Andy can as well.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 03:58 AM
More pics :)

You're welcome, nkhera :) Glad you read it. Sounded like he was pretty good for his first match. considering that Monfils had been playing well in Doha, too.

edit: all the bigger versions are in now :)

heya
01-11-2006, 04:02 AM
Brad and Dean let him blast bad 140-155 mph serves. You can't injure yourself by doing that and pretend nothing's wrong.

2003-2005 were full of excuses.
ANDY suddenly tried volleys as soon as he retreated 4 feet behind the baseline.
Do that and then hope for a Davis Cup title?! :ignore: :o

nkhera1
01-11-2006, 04:02 AM
More pics :)

You're welcome, nkhera :) Glad you read it. Sounded like he was pretty good for his first match. considering that Monfils had been playing well in Doha, too.

Agreed, the fact that Roddick was able to handle Monfils (scorewise at least) easier than Federer really surprises me, but doesn't come as a total shock (though I must say I am surprised at how well he played for a first match) because Roddick has the talent to beat players like Monfils as he did today.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Andy typically doesn't have too many problems with rust. He's come out and played really well at the AO for the past few years :D I definitely thought the match was gonna be tougher than it was, so it's pleasing indeed.

heya
01-11-2006, 04:10 AM
The one-handed backhand is unpredictable because you have to guess whether it's a down the line shot or volley.
Andy waits too long to sneak in a 2 handed backhand top spin/moonballs. :retard:
He did only a few aggressive 1-handed b/h passes.

heya
01-11-2006, 04:19 AM
Andy can beat anyone, yet he stays with the crappy techniques/passiveness all the time.
He needs to stop criticizing other players because they wanted to be more selfish.

He's the wimp.
That's why he embarrassed himself in tiebreaks/rarely broke serve (even in prior exhibitions).

Chaos Inc.
01-11-2006, 04:35 AM
The one-handed backhand is unpredictable because you have to guess whether it's a down the line shot or volley.
Andy waits too long to sneak in a 2 handed backhand top spin/moonballs. :retard:
He did only a few aggressive 1-handed b/h passes.

His slice backhand sets up way too much and allows the player on the other side of the net to take control of the point. You are correct, Roddick needs to drive that shot deep, take the offensive, force his opponent to play at the tempo Andy wants to play.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 04:38 AM
I've always said he slices too often. He makes lazy errors with it a lot, too. I hate it most of the time :lol: It's also not a good approach shot for him because as you said, Chaos, it sits up too much. once in a while he hits a really nice slice or slice approach, but it's not too common. I'd like to see him hit through his BH when he's in position to, and use the slice more sparingly.

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 05:01 AM
So Andy will play the winner of Nalbandian/Kiefer and Haas/Coria will be the other semifinal. :)

williaer
01-11-2006, 05:05 AM
i watched a teeny weeny bit of his match... he looked pretty good! i was quite impressed with his play! can't wait to watch a full match of his...

the induction thing for the tennis was really cool... we went onto vodafone arena to service a court and henman and gaudio were practising... pretty cool!

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Glad you had fun Ellen! :hug:

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Roddick asks authorities to work together on schedule

MELBOURNE, Jan 11 (Reuters) - World number three Andy Roddick called on tennis authorities on Wednesday to work together on finding a solution to the injuries affecting players due to the length of the season.

Roddick withdrew from the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai last November with a back injury and said at the time he felt the ATP tour's season was too long.

Australian Open champion Marat Safin and world number two Rafael Nadal have both withdrawn in the last 24 hours from next week's opening grand slam in Melbourne due to long-standing injuries.

"I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why a lot of people are getting hurt," Roddick told reporters after beating French teenager Gael Mofils 6-2 6-2 at the invitational Kooyong Classic.

"It's a different game now ... the players are becoming bigger and stronger (and) it's tougher on the body.

Roddick urged the game's authorities to try to work together to find a solution, calling for them to come up with an off-season to give players time to recover.

"Someone has to give a little bit," the American said.

"The tournament directors, the ITF, the Grand Slams, the Davis Cup, they're all different entities and you think they'd want to work together for the greater good.

"But they all want their own little slice of the pie and don't seem willing to give it up.

"As with most things it comes down to business, and dollars and cents and not common logic of what's best for the game."

PLAYERS UNION

Roddick admitted he did not know enough of the inner workings of the administration of the game to propose a solution himself but said he could exert pressure by talking.

"I have spoken to the leaders that be and I think it is being acknowledged now that something needs to be done."

The 23 year old added he would like to see the formation of a players union like those in professional sports in North America so their interests would be represented in business meetings with authorities.

But forming a union would be no easy task, he admitted.

"Try to get 100 players from different countries with all sorts of language barriers and get them all on the same page," he said.

"This is an individual sport and for each person that says 'we're not healthy', there's another guy who says 'hey I need those two extra weeks at the end of the year for prize money.'"

Tennis was the only sport without player's representation, he said.

"We don't have anyone going to business meetings for us and a lot of that doesn't make sense to me."

MisterQ
01-11-2006, 05:25 AM
andy!!!! kooyong king! it's the wimbledon of exhibitions! :smoke: :bounce:

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 05:27 AM
andy!!!! kooyong king! it's the wimbledon of exhibitions! :smoke: :bounce::haha: :haha: :worship:

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 05:32 AM
:)

ANDY RODDICK PRESS CONFERENCE 11/1/06:

Q: It seemed to go pretty well considering the match before you. How do you feel afterwards?

A: The match before me really has nothing to do with me but I felt good, I hit the ball better than I thought I would, and I was pretty happy with all aspects out there today.:D

Q: How was your back?

A: It's fine, it's not a worry.

Q: That was the problem that prevented you from going to Shanghai?

A: Yeah, I hurt it in Paris and I didn't think flying across the world in a cramped condition was going to help it much and you don't want to play a year in championships if you're not 100 per cent and kind of struggle through the end of the year so I went home and got treatment on it and rested for about 10 days and then had myself an off season, it wasn't something that I wanted to affect me in the early part this year so that's what I based my decision about Shanghai on.

Q: You are 23 but when you are playing a guy like him or say Nadal, do you feel a bit like a wise old man out there?

A: Yeah, last year was probably the first year where I felt like: okay, I guess this is kind of becoming commonplace, I started getting asked about the younger generation and I guess someone forgot to send me the notice that I was old before they started asking me these questions but it's definitely weird now to look back and realise that this has been going on six years, it's weird but I'm enjoying it.

Q: Thinking back to when you were his age, what's the hardest things to get used to on the circuit?

A: I don't know. The best thing is the youthful enthusiasm that comes with every match but he's doing fine. You know, the really, really good players always seem to break through pretty easily and that's what he did last year; he went from, I don't know where he started the year but it wasn't very high, to finishing in the top 40. And that's what you look for in a young player, someone who is able to come out of the gates and make an impact right away so he'll be just fine.

Q: Can you guys draw on anything from a loss by Roger here?

A: Not really. I'm going to stress this again, that this is a tune up week, this is an exhibition week, and everybody is just trying to find their form and make sure that we're ready to go next week. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Q: With Nadal and Safin out of the Australian Open, taking out two great players, taking out two rivals, do you feel just that little bit more of an opening?

A: I don't know if I think like that. I don't try to base my prospects for a tournament upon other people pulling out or not pulling out. Obviously it opens the door for a lot of other guys but the way I see it is you're going to have to beat the players that are playing best regardless and I try not to think too much about stuff that's completely out of my control. It's too bad that you're missing the defending champion, a guy who was the second best player in the world last year and the biggest legion:scratch: of the game with Andre as well, obviously that's not good for the tournament but, like I said, it's out of my hands.

Q: Do you feel some responsibility to step in the ....

A: No.:haha: :haha: :haha:

Q: You said late last year you thought the season may be a little too long. With all the injuries next week do you think it might be an idea to move the Australian Open back to March?

A: There's a lot of different scenarios, you could shorten the season at the end last year, you could move the Aussie Open back, there's a lot of things, but I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure out why people are getting hurt. It's a different game now with the physicality of it, and the players becoming bigger and stronger and points, it's just tougher on the body. I really believe strongly that it's in the best interests of the game to try to come up with a way to give us some sort of an off season to recover. You can't play if your body won't allow you so there needs to be some way, a solution needs to be found to make that happen.

Q: Is there too much hard court pounding

A: You know what, it's different on every surface. You can say the hard court pounds you, the clay court the points are longer so your body is working overtime, the grass court you're bending so your back hurts, so there's a scenario for every one but I don't think even here, it's a rubber surface so it's not a constant pounding, like cement. I don't know if that's the biggest concern as opposed to just the amount of weeks expected of us.

Q: Do you think it's going to be a growing trend that we are going to have to go to the Grand Slams with less of the top players?

A: Obviously I think it's going to come and go; I think it's coincidental that three of the top guys are out, that's obviously not going to happen. Even if you look at the women last year, it was depleted and this year they're strong so it's going to come and go but I just think something needs to be done that's in the best interests of players and their health.

Q: Your own preparation, is it any different from last year in December, any different?

A: Last year I was still playing in December in the Davis Cup so I basically had two months more of an off season, six weeks more to train and get my body ready so I feel a lot better this year than I did last year, I still felt like it was continuation of last year when I was here so I feel a lot more rested and a lot more excited to be down here competing.:D:yeah:

Q: (indistinct) physical work?

A: I spend a lot of time on the track and a lot of time in the gym, I was just able to kind of put forth a consistent training regime because I had a six week window, which is extremely rare, so I feel like I'm prepared as opposed to just doing the best that I can given the scenario.

Q: Do you have a preference about what should be done about a longer off season?

A: A preference or idea?

Q: (indistinct).

A: I don't know. It's just someone is going to have to give a little bit. The tournament directors, the ITF, the Davis Cup, the Grand Slams they're all different entities and you'd think that they would want to work together for the greater good but they each want their little slice of the pie and they're not willing to give that up. As most things it comes down to business and dollars and cents as opposed to common logic as to what should be the best for the game. I'm not going to pretend to be informed enough to know what goes on behind the scenes and who is doing what to be proactive as far as this stuff goes, but it seems like a pretty obvious problem now. I don't know what I can do personally to make it happen, other than kind of voice my opinion.

Q: Are the players as a group able to exert some pressure?

A: Well, here's what happens, and it's been talked about before. Exert pressure by talking. I've taken all the proper precautions as far as talking to the leaders that be and I think it is being acknowledged now that it's something that needs to be done but try getting 100 players from this many different countries with language barriers and get them all on the same page at one time, it's not like we're a league, like a basketball league or a football league where we're all under one roof, it's an individual sport. For every person that says we're not healthy there's another guy that says: hey, I needs those two extra weeks at the end of the year for prize money so it's tough to kind of get everyone on the same page.

Q: Do you think it's possible to have it as a league, to unionise it?

A: I would like to see it. We're the only sport out there without a players' rep and we have no one going to business meetings for us and a lot of that doesn't make sense to me but, like I said, I could be talking out of complete ignorance here if I kind of go into that any further.

Q: Having said all that, because you had a longer season do you feel like you have come here the best prepared in quite a while?

A: I think so. At least physically, yeah, I feel, like I said, I was able to really put forth a game plan as far as getting prepared because I knew that I had this window barring my back getting better at the end of the year and so that excited me and it was just a matter of putting in the work then.

Q: Do you think the in previous seasons with the sore back, being a younger guy perhaps you might have gone to Shanghai and further damaged it just in the pursuit of something?

A: Possibly, but there are a lot of factors that work. I was pretty banged up when I was chasing number one a couple of years ago but obviously, you know, when you have a chance to accomplish something like that you suck it up and go for it. I was three, I wasn't going back, I wasn't going forward, I kind of felt like I was going over ... water a little bit at best, and I didn't want to struggle through that when what could be lost was a lot more significant than what could be gained. After weighing those options that's kind of how I based my decision.

Q: So in some way the players are taking it into their own hands a little bit?

A: I think you have; no one else can tell you how you feel. No one else can tell Nadal how his foot is feeling and what he should do here, it's a personal decision that he has to make, and Andre and Marat as well, so sometimes you have to kind of try to look at the bigger picture, especially when you feel like you have a good bit left in you.

Q: Next week do you see it, it's a cliche as it sounds, Roger versus the field?

A: Well, he's made it like that. It might be Roger versus the field but for the rest of us it's us versus our first round opponent. He's obviously made it like that by playing so well over the last couple of years but, like I said, I can't stress enough that that really doesn't have a whole lot to do with any of us until we're put in the situation where we're facing him.

renee_chin
01-11-2006, 05:36 AM
aren't you quick in snapping up articles, deb :lol:

heya
01-11-2006, 05:44 AM
He can slice when he practices repeatedly. You can't stay safe by not slicing to move the opponent around.
Opponents can be forced to reach for shoelace volleys
They've to run very fast to strike forehands.
Then, Andy can do the drop shot.

Andy won't keep his eye on the ball while serving, so he drops his head.
...he leans in the wrong direction...and he misses break chances + drops weak serve games.

1-control the racket with his left hand when he gets into trouble.
(Nadal does this because it keeps him out of trouble, except on really fast courts

2- Hit the ball from knee height.
Andy always stays with timid forehands, but lets balls go fly too high.

williaer
01-11-2006, 05:48 AM
thanks for posting those articles deb!!!
aw... i miss your putting in of smilies

heya
01-11-2006, 05:49 AM
"It's a different game now ... the players are becoming bigger and stronger (and) it's tougher on the body.

Is that why Andy's gaining muscle weight? :smash: King of Dweebs

heya
01-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I don't try to base my prospects for a tournament upon other people pulling out or not pulling out. Obviously it opens the door for a lot of other guys but the way I see it is you're going to have to beat the players that are playing best regardless and I try not to think too much about stuff that's completely out of my control. It's too bad that you're missing the defending champion, a guy who was the second best player in the world last year and the biggest legion of the game with Andre as well, obviously that's not good for the tournament but, like I said, it's out of my hands.
Spitting :bs: politically correct CRAP, Andeee?

heya
01-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Nicholas Kiefer def David Nalbandian 6/3 3/2 (def) :eek:

renee_chin
01-11-2006, 06:26 AM
What an interesting Day 1 :eek:

Andy (and we) gets tomorrow off

Thursday 12 Jan 2006 (Starting at 11am. Gates Open 9.30am)
Tommy Haas vs Guillermo Coria
Roger Federer vs Ivan Ljubicic
David Nalbandian vs Gael Monfils

heya
01-11-2006, 06:33 AM
"I can't stress enough that that really doesn't have a whole lot to do with any of us until we're put in the situation where we're facing Fed."
He's supposed to care a lot. Who's teaching Andy this garbage?

Volcanic Tennis
01-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Congratulations Andy! :bounce: :hug: :)

blosson
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Is this for real??? Surprising even for an exhibition match!

Haas defeats Federer 3-6 6-4 6-4

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 01:48 PM
LOL Bloss, it's for real.

I figured Andy wouldn't play tomorrow b/c of the Amex appearance. (ellen, maybe you'll see him at Melbourne Park! :p)

so Andy will play Kiefer, then Haas/Coria... Sounds like Nalbandian had a stomach bug.... too bad for him:(

Golfnduck
01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Andy vs Kiefer....this could be interesting. I'm looking forward to the staredowns :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-11-2006, 01:58 PM
lol Jenny!!! Could be interesting ;)
--------------------------
Not easy being 23 with greenhorns nipping at your heels

By Alan Attwood, The age
January 12, 2006

SOMETHING weird happened to Andy Roddick last year. People started asking him questions about the new generation as if he was an old bloke. Roddick is all of 23, but these days it's not unusual for him to face tennis players considerably younger than himself.

Yesterday it was Gael Monfils, of France, who is 19. The last time the Australian Open was played at Kooyong, in January 1987, Monfils was four months old. Roddick has had a few extra years to absorb some of the history of the game. Hence his all-white outfit for the first day's play of the Kooyong Classic — a tribute, he said, to the tradition of the place.

The only problem here, one that emphasised their different ages and outlook, was that Monfils took him on wearing a sleeveless and rather lairy green shirt. It wasn't quite as alarming a shade of green as the one he'd worn the previous day, but striking nonetheless. Similar to the colour of the court, which suggests Monfils has adopted camouflage as a tactic.

The French teenager, with a gold chain dangling around his neck, was bareheaded; Roddick wore an old-fashioned white cap. One looked ready to rap; the other all set for some bird-watching. Yet there's only a handful of years between them: Monfils was the world champion junior in 2004; Roddick in 2000.

Also separating them is a good deal of grand slam experience. Roddick has made three major finals and won one; Monfils made his Open debut in Melbourne last year and hasn't got past the third round. Yet he's a young man on the way up, leaping some 200 places in the rankings last year to 25. Roddick is stuck at three.

Both are trying to make ground on the leader of the pack, Roger Federer — the champion junior of 1998. And the big news from Kooyong yesterday was not Roddick's straight sets defeat of Monfils, rather Federer's loss (in three sets) to Tommy Haas. Because the Classic is an exhibition event, this loss will not count on Federer's official record for the year. Still, any Federer failure is noteworthy, if only for its rarity.

With the Open starting on Monday, does it count as a setback? No. So said Federer himself. His timing was off. Haas, who barely smiled when he sealed victory with an ace, conceded he would much rather have beaten Federer in their Doha semi-final last week. Roddick cautioned against reading too much into the result, reminding everyone that "this is a tune-up week".

Also pull-out week. Marat Safin, one of only two players to defeat Federer in grand slam tournaments last year, has finally confirmed he will be a no-show in Melbourne because of a persistent knee problem. There's the makings of a jinx here: last year the defending women's champion, Justine Henin-Hardenne, was an Open absentee; now the men's champ will be missing.

As the world number two, Rafael Nadal, is also out of the mix because of an injury (his feet feel older than the 19-year-old rest of him); the Open is looking, well, open.

With the burn-out rate in tennis increasing — Martina Hingis is attempting a comeback after retiring at 22 — the stage is set for a Next Big Thing. Monfils is an obvious candidate. Standing 193 centimetres, which means Roddick looks up to him, he is certainly big enough.

But is he good enough? In his first tournament of the year, in Doha, he made the final. Yesterday's showing was not a true reflection of his ability. He was later said to be feeling off-colour. (Nothing to do with his shirt.) Roddick, for one, respects what Monfils has achieved already, describing him as "definitely one to watch".

The amiable — and not at all old — American still has plenty of people watching him. Many young fans awaited him when he left Kooyong's centre court after accounting for Monfils, hoping for a signature. Some screamed that they loved him.

Roddick worked his way through the pack, obliging as many as was possible while maintaining forward momentum. Yet still an attendant was forced to call out, finally: "No more signing."

Not quite. More fans waited near the entrance to the clubhouse. Again, Roddick dealt with them politely and patiently. "Yes!" a young boy called out after scoring a scribble. "Got him," cried another. Gael Monfils, this could be your life.:lol:

Golfnduck
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
LOL!!! The ending of the article is classic :haha:

heya
01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.tennis/browse_thread/thread/615e98176372c385/66b0c03d6d58d724#66b0c03d6d58d724

I used to hate roddick (being a seppo and all) but he's actually more
modest and has a better personality than "Lord" Federer. Example...
having fun with the ball-boy today, getting the crowd to laugh. U dont
see "Lord" Federer doing that!!!!!1 Im starting to like him alot more,
unless of course hes playing Lleyts.
Oh and roddick volleyed heaps better than "Lord" Federer today. I bet
that REALLY pisses u off!
:rolls: :haha: :worship: :bowdown: :bounce:

tangerine_dream
01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Is this for real??? Surprising even for an exhibition match!
Haas defeats Federer 3-6 6-4 6-4
Yes. I wonder if Dirk the Dim committed suicide when he saw that Roger lost to the worst number two in the world? Sweet MTF dreams. :lol:

Andy vs Kiefer....this could be interesting. I'm looking forward to the staredowns :lol:
Not Andy. Brad had said that Andy hates Kiwi's staredowns the most. :scared:

I love Andy-Kiwi matchups: The Best Legs Tour. :bowdown:

btw, Kiwi's due for a win over Andy any day now, isn't he? ;)

Fumus
01-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I think Federer likes Haas and I have alittle theory he gives games and stuff to people he likes. I also expect they were fooling around during the match. I know last year when I watched the tapes of the matches there is alot of banter between players and the crowd and sometimes the players do silly stuff on points. So Roger losing to Haas isn't like a shocker. Although if Andy beats him I am going to be like...yea that's right, see Andy is good enough bla bla..haha.