Agassi to participate... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi to participate...

Gigan
01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Agassi to participate in Delray tennis tournament

By Charles Elmore

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Andre Agassi has accepted a wild-card entry to the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships in what some tournament officials are calling the biggest coup in the 14-year history of the men's tennis event.

"It's the most exciting draw I've ever had," said tournament director Mark Baron.

Agassi pulled out of this month's Australian Open, saying he needed more time to heal ankle ligaments he hurt last year. Instead, he will play in the Delray Beach tournament that runs Jan. 30 through Feb. 5.

Agassi, who finished No. 7 in the world, enters a field that already includes two rising American stars who competed in epic matches with Agassi at the 2005 U.S. Open, Robby Ginepri and James Blake.

"To start off his 2006 campaign in Delray Beach is so fantastic for the city," tournament chairman John Butler said. "The site is so intimate, to see this guy right in front of you, like you can't do anywhere else, is really unique."

Tournament officials said they will paint the courts at the Delray Beach Tennis Center blue, as the U.S. Open and other events have done. Because of Agassi, they expect to increase advertising spending by 50 percent and set a new a new tournament attendance record above 43,000.

Agassi, who has won eight Grand Slam titles and 60 ATP tour events, will open his 21st season in pro tennis at the tournament.

Fee
01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Unless, of course, he's still not ready and pulls out on the Friday afternoon before the draw is made (then San Jose would be his first tournament back).

Phunkadelicious
01-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Mr. Baron ought not be so optimistic. Can we start VBetting on wether or not Agassi shows up?

Deboogle!.
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Mr. Baron ought not be so optimistic. Can we start VBetting on wether or not Agassi shows up?:rolls:

Gigan
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Andre is just ignoring those tournaments that are "very far" from his home... ;)

Fee
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Riiiiiight, that's why he signed up for Dubai. ;)

Gigan
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Riiiiiight, that's why he signed up for Dubai. ;)

he will skip it too ... :wavey:

cincy
01-06-2006, 08:58 PM
No way he'll skip Dubai. He's getting $500 grand!!!

I don't think Andre will stand up the people in Delray but there's no guarantee he'll get past the first round!!! Hope he will though.

cedez
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
He doesn't need the money. I can see him deciding to skip Dubai and play the new tournament in Las Vegas instead. They hadn't announced the move to Vegas yet when he committed to playing in Dubai. Although, I can also see Andre wanting another shot at Federer. In that case, he would definitely play Dubai.

Agassi Aces
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Agassi will go to Dubai no matter what.