Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Okay. I have been watching the Hopman Cup and the man is playing quite bad really. He's lucky Gisela Dulko is pulling her weight big time. So is he really useless in hardcourt? Will Gaston "Useless in hardcourt" Gaudio win a title in harcourt this season? :shrug:

Generator
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Okay. I have been watching the Hopman Cup and the man is playing quite bad really. He's lucky Gisela Dulko is pulling her weight big time. So is he really useless in hardcourt? Will Gaston "Useless in hardcourt" Gaudio win a title in harcourt this season? :shrug:

Basing your opinion of a player on a mere exhibition is rather asinine, with all due respect.

revolution
01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
He'll never win a HC title, sometimes when I watch him I wonder why he even wins clay titles.

He does have weapons and a game, he just lacks motivation or desire.

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Basing your opinion of a player on a mere exhibition is rather asinine, with all due respect.

First of all, an exhibition during the start of the year tends to be more than just a "mere exhibition." Plus, the Hopman Cup is not just any other exhibition tournament because it comes before the Aussie Open and the players play for their country which provides extra incentive to do well.

In fact, in my opinion watching the players play in mere exhibitions with this setup is a good way of seeing a player's skill and drive. If you can't play well for your country... chances are you probably won't do well in lesser situations (in this case other smaller tournaments.)

Plastic Bertrand
01-05-2006, 01:24 AM
It's an exhibition and that's all it is and at the start of the year, it is very clear to see who has been doing the off season training and who is not really ready.

Since when did results in exhibitions count for anything? As for being useless on a hardcourt, well it is not like Gaudio has not defeated players that have won GS titles on hardcourts before, at the same time for a guy who is meant to be useless his overall results in 05 on hardcourts in tournaments that counted weren't disastrous.

rofe
01-05-2006, 01:37 AM

It really depends on the exhibition. For example, doing well in Kooyong is a good indication of doing well at the AO simply because a lot of the top players use it as a serious tune-up to the AO.

Generator
01-05-2006, 01:50 AM
First of all, an exhibition during the start of the year tends to be more than just a "mere exhibition." Plus, the Hopman Cup is not just any other exhibition tournament because it comes before the Aussie Open and the players play for their country which provides extra incentive to do well.

In fact, in my opinion watching the players play in mere exhibitions with this setup is a good way of seeing a player's skill and drive. If you can't play well for your country... chances are you probably won't do well in lesser situations (in this case other smaller tournaments.)

I don't think anyone takes the Hopman Cup too seriously. I mean, the real battle of the nations is obviously the Davis Cup. Maybe the Düsseldorf so-called "world cup" deserves a honorable mention, although its prestige is considerably lower. Hopman Cup is an interesting concept and an entertaining exhibition, but that's all it is.

Let me give you a quick example. Remember last year Safin's disastrous performance at this same exhibition? He played horribly. A few weeks later he was winning the Australian Open. Bottomline is, in no way can we mix exhibitions with real competitive tournaments. The player's motivations are completely different in each case.

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 04:39 AM
I get your point Generator,

But I still think Gaudio sucked in his matches. Losing horribly in any kind of match may it be an exhibition match or not must be terrible for any player. Thing is, we (the fans) don't give too much regard for these exhibition tournaments... well, because they are just that; exhibitions... but on the side of the players... every match should be as important as any match. Exhibition or not. This is true at least for players who truly love and respect the game and those who want to be great.

I think that I have the right to base my opinion regarding how a certain player is playing on their performance in exhibitions tournaments. Because for a player who is really serious about his career, a win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of what tournament it is.

Can anyone tell me that Gaudio feels fine about those losses just because they were for an exhibition? Exhibitions may seem worthless to the fans but not to the players.

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 04:43 AM
I think that I have the right to base my opinion regarding how a certain player is playing on their performance in exhibitions tournaments. Because for a player who is really serious about his career, a win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of what tournament it is.

Can anyone tell me that Gaudio feels fine about those losses just because they were for an exhibition? Exhibitions may seem worthless to the fans but not to the players.

Are you being serious?

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Are you being serious?

Call me idealistic and all but yeah I am.

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Call me idealistic and all but yeah I am.

Thanks for the clarification, just checking and yes idealistic is a fair description.

mangoes
01-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Well, I think I'll add my two cents even though many may disagree. I think a lot of these losses on Gaudio's part has to do with laziness and a lack of will. If Gaudio really wants to exert himself in a hardcourt match, it's a completely different match. Example, the match he played against Agassi during either Indian Wells or Miami Masters in 05. It was obvious that Gaudio wanted to win that match and he played really great tennis against Agassi.

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification, just checking and yes idealistic is a fair description.

Yup. Too much for my own good sometimes. :)

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 05:10 AM
It was obvious that Gaudio wanted to win that match and he played really great tennis against Agassi.

He didn't play great tennis that is an exaggeration and he didn't think that he could win either of those matches. Played a few good shots that's all.

gsm
01-05-2006, 05:41 AM
there's a $1000000 in prize money + playing as a team means you are not entitled to slack off simply because its an exhibition, unless of course you are selfish.

El Legenda
01-05-2006, 05:43 AM
he didn't think that he could win either of those matches. Played a few good shots that's all.

See, thinking that you cant win a match, pretty much puts you down, and no desire to play :wavey:

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 05:56 AM
See, thinking that you cant win a match, pretty much puts you down, and no desire to play :wavey:

Does it now? Good to see your trash talking skills are still there. :)

El Legenda
01-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Does it now? Good to see your trash talking skills are still there. :)

I am not just talking about Gaudio, any player thinking they cant win a match before it starts. should not even go out there. :wavey:

Federerthebest
01-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Well, he certainly smacked down Reid today. But then Reid is a really crap player.

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 06:00 AM
I am not just talking about Gaudio, any player thinking they cant win a match before it starts. should not even go out there. :wavey:

In an ideal world that would be the case, but it's not an ideal world is it.

El Legenda
01-05-2006, 06:01 AM
In an ideal world that would be the case, but it's not an ideal world is it.

Not really, any given day a better player can have a day off. :)

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Not really, any given day a better player can have a day off. :)

It's still not enough in some cases, it's like Ljubo could play lefthanded and only have 1 serve and would still beat most people.

El Legenda
01-05-2006, 06:08 AM
It's still not enough in some cases, it's like Ljubo could play lefthanded and only have 1 serve and would still beat most people.

most people, but not most players. i am not saying, players should go into every match thinking they will win vs better player, just go and give it all you got, Ljubo vs Federer. plays his best, he does not go into match thinking, why try.

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 06:14 AM
most people, but not most players. i am not saying, players should go into every match thinking they will win vs better player, just go and give it all you got, Ljubo vs Federer. plays his best, he does not go into match thinking, why try.

That's logical, but not every player has the same self belief do they? Different players have different goals, some think they will win all the time, some want damage control etc and the original comment was directing at the Gaudio vs Agassi matches, it wasn't question of him not trying to win, but thinking he can do it are not the always the same thing.

El Legenda
01-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Agassi is old ;) has to think he can win that :rolls:

Action Jackson
01-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Agassi is old ;) has to think he can win that :rolls:

You'd think that would be the case, but since when has Gaudio done anything typical? The RG triumph, yes that was a conventional victory.

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 07:14 AM

What due respect? ;)

:D

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 07:16 AM

:worship:

Attention everyone - You should all be writing this stuff down.

Ps. Let's hope Gaston can at least gain a few ranking points out of the Hopman Cup. ;)

Galaxystorm
01-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Before 2005 he wasn't a player very dangerous on hard court , but luckily for him in 2005 improved his results on these courts, thanks for the improvements he made on his serve and his forehand.

I don't think the Hopman cup is an event which motivates him a lot ;)

Neely
01-05-2006, 10:59 AM
It would be not out of this world if he wins some time a non-clay tournament in future, he has plenty of time left, but so far I just see no indication he wins it this season. Best he can do on hardcourt so far is winning a few rounds; and this only if he enjoys a good week and not on regular basis.

Experimentee
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't think anyone takes the Hopman Cup too seriously. I mean, the real battle of the nations is obviously the Davis Cup. Maybe the Düsseldorf so-called "world cup" deserves a honorable mention, although its prestige is considerably lower. Hopman Cup is an interesting concept and an entertaining exhibition, but that's all it is.

Let me give you a quick example. Remember last year Safin's disastrous performance at this same exhibition? He played horribly. A few weeks later he was winning the Australian Open. Bottomline is, in no way can we mix exhibitions with real competitive tournaments. The player's motivations are completely different in each case.

I watch the Hopman Cup every year and I think the players do take their singles matches very seriously. It is important to gain their form before the AO, and there is also a lot of prizemoney at stake depending on where they end up in the group.
Judging by the reactions, I'd say they all want their matches very badly. Gaudio was yelling and cursing, and smashing his racquet in his singles matches, looking very angry at himself, so he was definitely bothered about his bad form.

Experimentee
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I think Gaston can be a great player on hardcourt sometimes, he has played excellent matches on that surface, but he's not as consistently good as he is on clay. There are some great matches, like when he beat Ferrero in one of the US TMS tournaments, and there are also a lot of very bad matches.

shotgun
01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't see Gaudio winning a hard-court title, not because he does not have the potential to do so, but because he doesn't play the small tournaments on hard court. The only small tournaments he plays out of clay are during the European indoor season in October, where he stands virtually no chance, because his game doesn't translate well to the very fast surfaces.

I mean, he has the potential to win small hard-court tournaments in the USA like Delray Beach or Indianapolis for example, but he obviously prefers playing on clay because that's where he can get points in a safer way. And then I honestly can't picture him winning a TMS title on hard court, where he faces opponents that are much more adapted to this surface than he is, one reason being that these opponents play much more often on hard than Gaudio does.