Agassi pulls out of Aus Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi pulls out of Aus Open

Fee
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-1970701,00.html

The Times January 05, 2006

Frail Agassi is forced into painful decision
By Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

ANDRE AGASSI has almost certainly played competitive tennis for the last time in the country where success came to him more freely than anywhere. Agassi, 35, announces today that he will not play in the Australian Open, further indication that the wear and tear of the sport bears a heavy burden.
Agassi says that he is less than 100 per cent and therefore cannot give a proper account of himself. The four-times champion in Melbourne — he reached two further semi-finals — has not moved freely since spraining his right ankle in a freak injury picked up playing racketball when passing the time before the Masters Cup in Shanghai in November.

When Agassi showed up in China and gave what his aching body would allow, he was beaten in straight sets by Nikolay Davydenko, of Russia, and criticised by the organisers for telling the media that he had decided to withdraw before informing the tournament. The American may not have got the protocol absolutely right, but at least he showed when he knew he was struggling. He will not make that mistake again.

“Nobody wants to see me go on the court like that,” Agassi said after that defeat. “It’s dangerous and risky for the future as well, because I’m scared of hurting myself even more. I try to make decisions that keep me healthier because of the physicality of the game now.”

As fanatical as Agassi trains and as desperately as he wants to compete, there comes a time when even he has to say no. He played only 51 matches in 2005 but had his fair share of success, reaching the final of the US Open, in which he lost to the mercurial Roger Federer. He also made the final of the Masters Series event in Canada and the semi-finals in Rome.

It was on the red clay that he began to be troubled by the sciatic nerve problem that reduced him to a passenger in the first round of the French Open — where he lost to Jarkko Nieminen, of Finland — and forced his withdrawal from Wimbledon.

The Australians will be desperately disappointed when Agassi’s decision is made public today, and more so when Rafael Nadal, the Spanish world No 2 who was unable to play in the Masters Cup despite making the long trek to Shanghai, announces his withdrawal from next week’s Medibank tournament in Sydney, a decision that puts his participation in the Open in serious doubt.

If Agassi’s loss is not entirely unexpected, Nadal’s would be a bitter pill. The 19-year-old from Majorca proved himself one of the great big-match players last year, winning the same number of titles — 11 — as Federer and breaking through to his first grand-slam triumph, at Roland Garros. But he has been troubled by foot and knee problems since pushing himself to the limit to win the Masters Series title in Madrid in October, when, with the benefit of hindsight, he should have rested.

His possible loss only confirms the absurdity of an 11-month season, the start of which this week meant that players travelled to India, the Middle East and Australia in search of match practice before the first grand-slam of the year, starting in Melbourne on Monday week.

Tim Henman would have preferred more than two matches before that, but a second-round defeat by Tommy Haas, of Germany, in Doha yesterday means that a paucity of competition may be assuaged only by a call to replace Agassi in the eight-man Kooyong Classic from Wednesday.

Henman lost 6-2, 7-6, saving seven match points in the process, but did not look as at ease with his game as he had during his opening-round victory over Richard Gasquet, of France.

It will have lifted a few spirits, however, to see Federer requiring two tie-breaks to defeat Fabrice Santoro, the veteran French bamboozler, but, as usual, the Swiss won.

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 12:06 AM
What?!? This is bad news... No Maria and now no Andre?

Damn racketball!!! :mad:

mangoes
01-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, I don't care about Maria, I am actually doing a happy dance because no maria means more coverage of other matches. But Andre is terrible news :sad: . I hope Rafa won't have to pull out too.

Rafa is officially out of Sydney International
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nadalinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns

zethand
01-05-2006, 12:27 AM
what do you expect? See him playing untill 2019?

Doctor Dance
01-05-2006, 12:30 AM
this is the beginning of the end of agassi

he will not last the full season

NicoFan
01-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Well, I don't care about Maria, I am actually doing a happy dance because no maria means more coverage of other matches. But Andre is terrible news :sad: . I hope Rafa won't have to pull out too.

Rafa is officially out of Sydney International
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nadalinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm not crying about Maria either for the same reason - if she plays, ESPN turns into MariaTV. Its more than annoying. :rolleyes:

But very sad news about Andre - I know he can't play forever, but I wish he could.

And the Rafa Sydney is bad news too. :sad: Not good at all.

revolution
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

krystlel
01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
I haven't yet heard anything official about Maria pulling out. :confused: I know that she's in doubt with that injury but I would think that there's still a reasonable chance that she'll be playing AO.

Phunkadelicious
01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

amierin
01-05-2006, 12:56 AM
A non suprising surprise. I thought he'd make the effort. He may be saving it all for the US hardcourt season ending his career at the US Open.

nobama
01-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Andre :sad:

I wish it was Serena instead. I saw video of her lose to Dementieva 3 & 1 in Hong Kong the other day. It was painful to watch. I know it was just an Expo, but man she looked awful. And was wearing some gold silk outfit which showed every sweat mark imaginable. :ras:

mangoes
01-05-2006, 01:18 AM

I wish it was Serena instead. I saw video of her lose to Dementieva 3 & 1 in Hong Kong the other day. It was painful to watch. I know it was just an Expo, but man she looked awful. And was wearing some gold silk outfit which showed every sweat mark imaginable. :ras:

The thing is, I'll take Serena anyday over Maria. Plus I really like Serena and I think it is horrible that she isn't committing to her tennis.

Lynne
01-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Hope Andre gets better soon.

Btw, Maria's just in doubt for AO but hasn't officially pulled out right?

cedez
01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Ditto :sad:

rofe
01-05-2006, 01:34 AM
That is bad news but to be expected nowadays. I think as someone else pointed out, he will try to retire from tennis in a blaze of glory at the US Open series.

Plastic Bertrand
01-05-2006, 01:37 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060104/law140.html?.v=5

Statement Issued by Andre Agassi Announcing His Withdrawal From the Kooyong Classic and Australian Open

Wednesday January 4, 9:25 pm ET

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- In a statement issued today, tennis veteran Andre Agassi announced his withdrawal from the 2006 Kooyong Classic and Australian Open tournaments due to a lingering ankle injury. Agassi sustained the third-degree sprain to his left ankle on October 12th, and the injury forced his withdrawal from the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai in November 2005.

"I attempted to play in Shanghai with an injury that was not fully healed, and it set me back substantially. I made a commitment to myself not to play unless I can be at my absolute best. Unfortunately, even with the amount of training and rehabilitation I've been going through, my ankle is still not 100 percent," said Agassi. "These two tournaments mean a great deal to me. I'm disappointed that I will not be able to start the season in Melbourne, but I plan to return to the court as soon as my ankle is fully recovered."

nobama
01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
The thing is, I'll take Serena anyday over Maria. Plus I really like Serena and I think it is horrible that she isn't committing to her tennis.I don't really dislike Serena either, but her lack of commitment does bother me. It seemed like for a while she thought she could just show up and beat anyone regardless of what shape she was in. That's why I want to see her get beat. Maybe it'll force her to make a decision about her career and how serious she is about her tennis.

sigmagirl91
01-05-2006, 02:16 AM
:sad:

Federerthebest
01-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Heh.

Haute
01-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Sounds like this is going to be the last year for both Andre and Lindsay. :sad:

Golfnduck
01-05-2006, 03:18 AM

MisterQ
01-05-2006, 03:21 AM

Probably a good decision if he is not feeling well physically... but still very disappointing.

Gonzalo81
01-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Sorry to hear this

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't really dislike Serena either, but her lack of commitment does bother me. It seemed like for a while she thought she could just show up and beat anyone regardless of what shape she was in. That's why I want to see her get beat. Maybe it'll force her to make a decision about her career and how serious she is about her tennis.

I saw the match at Hong Kong too. And I actually thought she was ill. She looked ill... plus when she served her feet did not even lift off the ground... Her outfit was bad as usual... It was funny actually. Elena still made a lot of errors and she let Serena win four games serving like that...

Dirk
01-05-2006, 05:33 AM
I heard Serena looked good during a exho at Chicago, maybe she got sick. :sad: I hope she can be well for Oz. I think Oz on the WTA side this year could be very watchable.

World Beater
01-05-2006, 05:34 AM
I heard Serena looked good during a exho at Chicago, maybe she got sick. :sad: I hope she can be well for Oz. I think Oz on the WTA side this year could be very watchable.

i would def watch hingis for sure!...love her game

Dirk
01-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Oh me too and I was telling a few doubful posters here in chats that she could do a lot of damage and win slams again. If Kim and Henin and Myskina can deal with power so can Martina and she seems to want to get a bit stronger so she is more resilient to power. I bet she works on that serve of hers too.

I bet the french actually cheer for her this year.

superpinkone37
01-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Oh, no. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I mean, I guess it's not really unexpected, but still. :(

Deboogle!.
01-05-2006, 05:58 AM
:( :( :(

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 07:06 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

MY WISH HAS COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Instead of losing in the 1st round, he won't even play in the 1st round!!!!!!!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

The Tennis Gods sure are shining today !!!

:smoke:

Dirk
01-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Man you are harsh Jim.

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 07:11 AM
lol

Thank you Dirk. ;)

almouchie
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
is Mario officially withdrawn from Aussie open?

who so far has confirmed their withdrawal

mandoura
01-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Gigan
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
what kind of GS it will be without Andre?
just regular tounament... :(
without 4-times winner
au 2006 will loose about 35-40% of it's fans...

czech1rep
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
:speakles: :banghead: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :bigcry:

Angle Queen
01-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Neither disappointed nor surprised.

He should have retired gracefully after his fantastic run at the USO.

Experimentee
01-05-2006, 12:24 PM
He should never have played the Masters Cup injured :(
There goes probably my last chance to see him live :sad:

sigmagirl91
01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
is Mario officially withdrawn from Aussie open?

who so far has confirmed their withdrawal

Mario? I didn't know there was even any question about him playing the AO.

Kristen
01-05-2006, 12:28 PM
More people to gawk at Roger now, I guess.
It's bad for Andre, doesn't really affect me. I already have my own absent player to (not) worry about (any more). :tape:

AgassiDomination
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Damn.

Agassi Aces
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Its a shame, lets just hope he will have a real run at Wimbledon!

alfonsojose
01-05-2006, 01:31 PM

Neely
01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Very sad to hear!!! Of course I wanted to see him there, maybe it was the last time for him :(

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 02:08 PM
without 4-times winner

:confused:

talk about having sh*t for brains.

;)

AgassiDomination
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
:lol:

its.like.that
01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Its a shame, lets just hope he will have a real run at Wimbledon!

your username is almost as good as "Wayne Arthurs Backhand Winners"

;)

mongo
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Here we go again...

might as well start a "death pool"--who's next?
a) Safin
b) Nadal

My money says Safin will be the next to announce that he has w/d

Viken01
01-05-2006, 02:54 PM
bad news :sad:

*Ljubica*
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
without 4-times winner

Tennis was a successful sport long before Agassi was born and will continue to be so for many, many years. The sport is much bigger than any one player and I'm sure that the true tennis fans going to the tournament this year will stll flock there in huge numbers regardless of whether he plays or not. So to say the AO will lose 35%-40% of it's fans is total rubbish - sorry. After all Wimbledon hasn't suffered in crowd numbers in the last two years that Agassi hasn't played, and places like Monte Carlo Masters don't have problems selling tickets either. People will go to see Hewitt (their local hero), World Number 1 Roger Federer, former US Open Champion Andy Roddick and good tennis in general, both ATP and WTA.

RonE
01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Tennis was a successful sport long before Agassi was born and will continue to be so for many, many years. The sport is much bigger than any one player and I'm sure that the true tennis fans going to the tournament this year will stll flock there in huge numbers regardless of whether he plays or not. So to say the AO will lose 35%-40% of it's fans is total rubbish - sorry. After all Wimbledon hasn't suffered in crowd numbers in the last two years that Agassi hasn't played, and places like Monte Carlo Masters don't have problems selling tickets either. People will go to see Hewitt (their local hero), World Number 1 Roger Federer, former US Open Champion Andy Roddick and good tennis in general, both ATP and WTA.

:worship: :yeah:

Rosie is 100% right and as has already been said, this has not exactly come out of the blue. There was always a possiblity Andre wouldn't be able to compete. It's a shame of course, he would have added more fizz to the event but what can you do?

The show must go on.

AgassiDomination
01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Gigan hardly ever knows what hes talking about anyway, best to let him do his own thing.

Mistaflava
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Andre...just retire...thanks for the years but goodbye.

czech1rep
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Andre...just retire...thanks for the years but goodbye.

I would say recover soon Andre .. don´t say goodbye