Has anyone read or is currently reading "the bell jar"? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has anyone read or is currently reading "the bell jar"?

andylover_16
10-17-2003, 08:40 PM
i just finished this book that my sister and i were very interested in....it is based on sylvia plath a great poets early life....they are coming out with a movie about her titled sylvia plath....gwenyth paltrow plays her role and her mother in the movie is her mother in real life...so if you have i would like to here what you think or even if you havnt:)...im just very curious:wavey:!

GabbylovesLleyton
10-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Samantha you are such a dork!:p It's just called "Sylvia"!:hammer:

andylover_16
10-18-2003, 04:42 PM
so im guessing thats a no.....that no one has read or even heard of it....

star
10-18-2003, 04:54 PM
There are so many books about Plath.

I was just reading a review about a new one called: "Her Husband" by Diane Middlebrook. It's an appraisal about the Hughes/Plath marriage.

Plath's children are pretty upset about the movie.

star
10-18-2003, 04:54 PM
And, I did read The Bell Jar a long time ago.

It's like required reading for adolescent girls. :)

andylover_16
10-19-2003, 12:23 AM
its a great book isnt it......it made me cry....

star
10-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Yeah. It's one of those books you need to read when you are young. Salinger is that way too. Do you like his books?

andylover_16
10-19-2003, 02:10 AM
what are some of his writings?

star
10-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Catcher in the Rye is the most famous one. If you liked the Bell Jar, I think you will like it too. It is about a disturbing young man at a prep school.

He's got others too. Mostly about the Glass family. J.D. Salinger. Look him up. :)

andylover_16
10-20-2003, 04:13 PM
i will make sure to do so....thanks for the information star:)...i am currently reading a closer look at ariel a memory of sylvia plath written by nancy hunter...she seems to have known her quite well they went to smith college together...:)...have you read this yet?

Poe
10-21-2003, 12:41 AM
it's my favourite novel.. by one of my favourite poets... Discovering her poetry really influenced me and before that i had never heard of the bell jar.. I looked it up and saw it was largely based on her life experiences so i read it to learn more about her

it really is a great book... right now i'm reading her unabridged journals

Leo
10-21-2003, 01:09 AM
I think everybody reads Catcher in the Rye in high school. And for good reason; it was a great book.

andylover_16
10-21-2003, 04:20 PM
it's my favourite novel.. by one of my favourite poets... Discovering her poetry really influenced me and before that i had never heard of the bell jar.. I looked it up and saw it was largely based on her life experiences so i read it to learn more about her

it really is a great book... right now i'm reading her unabridged journals

yes, but now that i am finished reading a closer look at arial....i realize that the bell jar was full of lies...she made up half of the things.....and she was damn good at it too....she definatly had problems...buts its interesting to hear the truth from nancy hunter....her book is great and really touching...sylvia is such a great poet i just wished she didnt have to live and die and she choose to...as nancy hunter quotes in the book"i dont believe that syliva truly wanted to kill herself i just believe that no one was their to save her like one had always been before"...."i will die if you desert me."...

Ada Monroe
10-22-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm going to try and read it before Sylvia comes out.

andylover_16
10-24-2003, 03:50 PM
are you going to see the movie?.....gosh i cant wait...its going to be so great...its already opened up in theaters through new york and la....just waiting for it to come somewhere around virginia/nc section:)...ive seen the trailor and it looks absolutly touching...but ive heard its not really all doom and gloom and they make it more happy sounding than her life really was...i have also found out that her kids were really upset about the movie....

Frooty_Bazooty
05-09-2004, 08:47 PM
:wavey: andylover, i am reading this book right now, lol what are the chances...

Ive just gotten past the analogy of the fig tree which i absolutely *loved* since it is SO true for me. whats your favourite poem of hers?

i like The Applicant, Blakc rook in rainy weather and my favourite is Mirror

andylover_16
05-09-2004, 08:53 PM
:wavey: andylover, i am reading this book right now, lol what are the chances...

Ive just gotten past the analogy of the fig tree which i absolutely *loved* since it is SO true for me. whats your favourite poem of hers?

i like The Applicant, Blakc rook in rainy weather and my favourite is Mirror

Mirror is one of my favorites too! I have too many:)
Ive already finished reading it a bit ago.
Great Book. Probably my favorite! Shes definatly my fav. author :)

YoursTruly
05-10-2004, 12:19 AM
very good book, good author

Smankyou
05-11-2004, 01:56 AM
The Bell Jar was a wonderful book... but ridiculously biased (as expected). There are three truths to every story.

I studied Ted Hughes, so I'm not much of a Plath fan.

Smankyou
05-11-2004, 01:58 AM
Actually I wanted to rip her head off.

star
05-11-2004, 04:40 AM
:lol:

Frooty_Bazooty
05-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Actually I wanted to rip her head off.

why? whats wrong with her? :confused: