What the Tennis Channel Should Do [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What the Tennis Channel Should Do

Socket
01-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Now that I finally have the Tennis Channel on my cable system, I think it would be great if TTC could arrange with the ATP and WTA tours to provide updated scores for all tournaments on a screen crawler. This can't be all that difficult to arrange and would draw in those viewers who want to see scores for the (too many) tournaments that don't provide live scoring. Steve Bellamy, if you're reading this, I hope you consider this suggestion. :)

mangoes
01-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Really good idea Socket :D

I also wish that TTC would negotiate to air more tournament........especially atp events........

NicoFan
01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
It is a good idea Socket.

And like mangoes said, more ATP tournaments. I really don't like women's tennis so they could take off all those tournaments.

Problem is that ESPN takes some of the tournaments, gives us only a couple hours a day, and repeats on top of it.

Let's hope ESPN never gets the European master series events. I love those especially the spring clay tournaments.

lunahielo
01-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I agree with all three of you.

I have TTC and enjoy it, but wish it could be improved.
Great ideas. :)

mangoes
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
It is a good idea Socket.

And like mangoes said, more ATP tournaments. I really don't like women's tennis so they could take off all those tournaments.

Problem is that ESPN takes some of the tournaments, gives us only a couple hours a day, and repeats on top of it.

Let's hope ESPN never gets the European master series events. I love those especially the spring clay tournaments.

Well, I don't mind ESPN airing the grand slams, and I don't think that's about to ever change, but I think the Tennis Channel could make more of an effort to air more tournaments from other countries. They could also make an effort to update some of their specials on the players and STOP MURFEY JENKINS......... :confused: I think that's his name............from doing so many of his irritating specials. I swear he has a crush on Petrova.

But I think the problem with the other tournaments is that TTC uses feeds from other countries that are already airing them with English commentary thereby making it easy and cheap for TTC to air...............who knows? I still appreciate the Tennis Channel and can't imagine not having it :D

Socket
01-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Money is TTC's biggest problem right now, and that's why it shows so few tournaments. It's in no position to win a bidding war with ESPN, so it doesn't show any of the events that would draw in big advertising revenues. And, of course, without the big ad revenues, the only events it can get are those ESPN doesn't want. Vicious cycle.

NicoFan
01-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't know why they bought the Scottsdale tournament (I think it was Scottsdale that they moved to Las Vegas) - the money should have been put into the channel rather than a tournament.

Since ESPN only really cares about the Slams and the US tournaments during the summer, I wish TTC would get more of the smaller tournaments in between the masters series tournaments. Like they do with Barcelona.

I don't think the Slams will change either. But wish we had like France has for Roland Garros - a few channels covering it so you can see many of the courts rather than being stuck just watching the Americans that ESPN or USA Network wants to put on.

And I don't mind the international feed - gives us a much needed break from Pat Mac and Mary Carillo. And I learn more from those commentators.

acoffeygirl
01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
I just wish DirecTV would get TTC!! :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-04-2006, 12:39 AM
I think it's awesome that they bought a tourney and I don't mind that money went into that instead of airing more tourneys. The scottsdale tourney was gonna move and be defunct anyway

I think this is a nice idea, Socket. They may see it as too expensive and it might instead let the m get an extra day of a tourney here or there or something, I dunno. but it would be a nice resource indeed.

I love the international feed, but I don't like a lot of the commentators they have (Katrina Adams, that means you :o)

Neely
01-04-2006, 12:45 AM
That would be a good idea for the viewers, but priority would be that there should be a rule that says that all ATP/WTA level tournaments have at least game-by-game livescoring on their tournament homepages. If that at some time happens, it would be easy for TTC to present updated scores from all ongoing tournaments for their viewers. And if not, it would be a bit more difficult. But then maybe TTC should send somebody to all the tournaments without livescores or they should hire a person who calls these tournaments every few minutes for updates ;)

cobalt60
01-04-2006, 12:48 AM
I think it's awesome that they bought a tourney and I don't mind that money went into that instead of airing more tourneys. The scottsdale tourney was gonna move and be defunct anyway

I think this is a nice idea, Socket. They may see it as too expensive and it might instead let the m get an extra day of a tourney here or there or something, I dunno. but it would be a nice resource indeed.

I love the international feed, but I don't like a lot of the commentators they have (Katrina Adams, that means you :o)
Yes to Vegas! I would also like it if they helped with PRing the doubles game and its leading players. And kudos to the ATP for giving doubles more attention on the web site. I do like the 2 male commentators from England whose names escape me at this moment.

mangoes
01-04-2006, 01:00 AM
And I don't mind the international feed - gives us a much needed break from Pat Mac and Mary Carillo. And I learn more from those commentators.

Oh I agree. I would rather listen to the international commentators than Mary Carillo..........especially the two guys from England.

croat123
01-04-2006, 01:07 AM
i wish comcast in my area would sack up :(

NicoFan
01-04-2006, 01:08 AM

:lol:

She's just horrid. :eek:

That's when the mute button comes in handy. ;)

NicoFan
01-04-2006, 01:13 AM
One thing I have to say - TTC has really improved since I first got it about maybe 2 years ago. Then all the shows were Americans and Americans only. Not that there's anything wrong with the American players, but tennis is an international game. I love the No Strings and Center Courts with guys like Carlos, JC, Feli, Tommy R., Fernando G., etc. And the great Davis Cup coverage that they have - its awesome.

Just needs a few more tournaments.

Things like screen crawlers (while an awesome idea), and maybe a news show, will come in time.

BTW - would love it if they pick up the tennis show out of Argentina that Zab and Chela have hosted. I hear so much about it from the SA posters here and its supposed to be very funny. Maybe some tennis shows from other countries too. Don't know how costly that would be though.

rofe
01-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Ok I am venting - people who have TTC should be banned from writing about it on MTF. It feels like you guys are rubbing it in. :mad:

I would pay a lot of money to get TTC but alas, there seems to be insufficient demand where I live.

mojo37_12
01-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Ok I am venting - people who have TTC should be banned from writing about it on MTF. It feels like you guys are rubbing it in. :mad:

I would pay a lot of money to get TTC but alas, there seems to be insufficient demand where I live.

Haha. :D Same here. I feel your pain.

soraya
01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
I just wish DirecTV would get TTC!! :sad:

I wish dish network would get ttc or any any cable TV for that matter.

sigmagirl91
01-04-2006, 04:36 AM

Same here-unless I opt for satellite.

mangoes
01-04-2006, 05:13 AM
One thing I have to say - TTC has really improved since I first got it about maybe 2 years ago. Then all the shows were Americans and Americans only. Not that there's anything wrong with the American players, but tennis is an international game. I love the No Strings and Center Courts with guys like Carlos, JC, Feli, Tommy R., Fernando G., etc. And the great Davis Cup coverage that they have - its awesome.

Just needs a few more tournaments.

Things like screen crawlers (while an awesome idea), and maybe a news show, will come in time.

BTW - would love it if they pick up the tennis show out of Argentina that Zab and Chela have hosted. I hear so much about it from the SA posters here and its supposed to be very funny. Maybe some tennis shows from other countries too. Don't know how costly that would be though.

True there are many positives..............and I also love their NO STRINGS shows. I wish they would add, quicker, more episodes of No Strings. I really love Carlos Moya's No Strings. And it gives us a better glimpse of players such as Chela in his No Strings episode.

Oh, I should also point out that we get great coverage of the Master Series outside of the US. Heck the coverage is better than ESPN's coverage of the Master Series held in the US.