Use a shock dampener or not? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Use a shock dampener or not?

fhuneeus
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello guys i post here to know what are your suggestions on using or not using a shock dampener... i received for christmas my head liquidmetal radical and i have been playing iwthout the dampener... my question is what do you think about this should i use it or not.. what difference could it bring etc.. thanks

Angle Queen
01-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I use one...but more out of habit than proven performance. The ball just doesn't sound right coming off the strings if I don't have it on and the contact itself feels a bit hollow. Plus it gives me one more thing to fiddle with between points. ;)

adee-gee
01-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I use one...but more out of habit than proven performance. The ball just doesn't sound right coming off the strings if I don't have it on and the contact itself feels a bit hollow. Plus it gives me one more thing to fiddle with between points. ;)
Pretty much 100% what I would've said :worship:

Whatever you prefer buddy. Play with or without one, whatever suits you better.

Fee
01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
we need a players' forum....

please...

gusman890
01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
yeahh i dont like the ping, its annoying as hell, doesnt help my game other then keeping me focused

RonE
01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I tried playing with one for a time but I just felt it took all the 'zing' out of my shots. I like to feel the 'pock' when the racquet makes contact with the ball and a shock dampener takes that sensation away.

athie
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
we need a players' forum.... please...
Good idea tbh Fee – on the other hand I feel there often lacks response to serious tennis related questions, especially on GM :rolleyes:
In response to the initial question - yep I do - feels like Im hitting rocks otherwise :) As adee-gee said... whatever suits!

aceit
01-03-2006, 09:24 PM
That's exactly how I feel. But I just fix my strings between points, never really the shock absorber unless it's falling off.

But anyway, by reading the post I'd guess that you're a beginner, so just do whatever feels best because you'll definetly grow used to whatever your initial preference is.

celia
01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
we need a players' forum....

please...
terrific idea. :worship: i'd enjoy that very much. are you going to propose it to the moderators?

i always use a dampener. mine is the kind that is built in -- the strings go inside it so you never lose it. it's a pain playing with inserted dampeners that go flying off the minute you hit a power shot.

celia
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Good idea tbh Fee – on the other hand I feel there often lacks response to serious tennis related questions, especially on GM :rolleyes:

but serious tennis players would participate in such a forum and that's all that matters, even if we are just a handful. think of how exciting it would be to talk about our matches and discuss our progress. i'd love it. :hearts:

Fee
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I already did...

http://menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=33211

adee-gee
01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
terrific idea. :worship: i'd enjoy that very much. are you going to propose it to the moderators?
I think she's suggested it about 50 times :lol:

celia
01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I already did...

http://menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=33211
Oops. i haven't been outside of GM and NT.

i really must explore this board. seems like there are all kinds of nooks and crannies to discover. ;)

michelleg
01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
no dampener for me, but its all personal preference

williaer
01-03-2006, 11:15 PM
I tried playing with one for a time but I just felt it took all the 'zing' out of my shots. I like to feel the 'pock' when the racquet makes contact with the ball and a shock dampener takes that sensation away.
that's exactly how i feel! i tried to use one once but it just felt wrong, like i didnt know how i was hitting it or anything. i understand that the top players use them to actually take strain off their raquet/wrist but seeing as im not hitting it that hard, i prefer not to use one.

but something like a shock dampener is totally personal choice so practise with and without to see which you prefer :)

mojo37_12
01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
I used one before, and I lost a match because of it... (I'm exaggerating of course) But what happened was during a crucial point I went to the net to volley and the ball hit the shock dampener and it hit the net. I lost. I never used one after that. :)

But yeah don't listen to me.... totally up to you. :D

rexman
01-04-2006, 06:45 AM
I play with one built in (as described earlier) and I can't imagine playing without one.

athie
01-04-2006, 10:14 AM
but serious tennis players would participate in such a forum and that's all that matters, even if we are just a handful. think of how exciting it would be to talk about our matches and discuss our progress. i'd love it. :hearts:
Yeah :D Sort the trolls from the non-trolls :devil:

Breaker
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Whether or not you use a vibration dampener has no affect on your game, it is just the sound of the ball coming off your racket and the feeling upon hitting the ball that varies. As has been said throughout the post, it's all about how it feels for you - at the end of the day it won't make you a better/worse player, it will just feel a little different. I myself don't use one, I used to when I was using rackets like the Head Ti. S4 etc as they seemed to vibrate alot, however, I've been using an i.Radical the past three years and it doesn't feel as comfortable using one.

Tennis players forum would be a great idea

alfonsojose
01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I have a "less control" feeling without the dampener, so i use it.

celia
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah :D Sort the trolls from the non-trolls :devil:
:yeah: :yeah:

admiralpye
10-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I just tie a thick rubber band around a couple of strings (center-bottom). Nothing fancy. I need the dampener because my wrist tends to hurt after a lot of volleying high-velocity balls at the net. The dampener helps a lot.

wcr
11-13-2006, 03:00 PM
As far as I can tell, the only benefit a dampner provides is the improved sound when the racket strikes the ball. And it's for that nice "pop" I use one all the time.

Hokit
11-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Hello guys i post here to know what are your suggestions on using or not using a shock dampener... i received for christmas my head liquidmetal radical and i have been playing iwthout the dampener... my question is what do you think about this should i use it or not.. what difference could it bring etc.. thanks

A shock damperner's the little clip that you put at the bottom of the strips so the racquet can better absorb the vibrations, right? :confused: If that's the case, then (I think) it makes top-spin shots easier to hit because the strings won't bounce back and forth as much.

I don't use one because I don't see the point :shrug: I play just fine without one. If anything, it's really the technique that makes the difference - I should know because all my shots suck :o

GlennMirnyi
11-17-2006, 07:29 PM
The fact is the shock dampener has not enough mass to diminish the impact of the ball against the racket. It's just for the sound.

SaFed2005
11-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I usually don't use dampners coz I like the way the ball feels without the dampner. The other problem is that when I do use them, they seem to keep flying off. It might be becuase I hit my shots with a lot of topspin or i dont know... something like that I guess. I gave up on dampners. If I am to use one I just use a piece of rubberband.

PTR_Professional
11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
I personally go without any dampener....I don`t like the
way sound or feel.....feels like hitting a plank of wood!

I like to hear and feel the ball....a game of touch

:)

GlennMirnyi
11-20-2006, 12:35 AM
I never got used to that sound.

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 01:46 PM
never use one. they dampen the feel of the string bed and I prefer to have that feedback on hitting a ball.

madmanfool
11-28-2006, 11:13 PM
i like it stiff, got stiff strings as well, so i use a shock dampener also. But that's more a habit then anything else. I guess changing from one way to the other isn't easy.

Burrow
11-29-2006, 07:11 PM
No, dont use it. Feel's horrible.

lordmanji
12-12-2006, 05:27 AM
i didnt use one for years because i liked the more "natural and true" feel of the ball on the strings without a shock absorber. but a couple wks ago i had a tinge of pain in my elbow - tennis elbow maybe?! - and i put on a shock absorber as a precaution. well, i quite like it now. i now hate that "ping" sound without the absorber. today my shock absorber (the head one) fell out or rather flew out and i spent twenty minutes looking for it to no avail. it felt so wrong without it. luckily i had a spare and today i bought two more just in case.

word of advice: dont buy a clear shock absorber. theyre impossible to find on the court.

alelysafina
12-12-2006, 08:18 AM
word of advice: dont buy a clear shock absorber. theyre impossible to find on the court.

:lol: :lol: I just LOL'ed at this when I read it.

scarecrows
12-12-2006, 08:21 AM
doesnt make a difference, but once u start using it u cant do without

bradrmattison
01-15-2007, 03:56 AM
I wish I could make it go away once I hit a serve.

I need it for serves, but groundies and volleys would be better without it.

tennisplayer89
01-21-2007, 06:59 PM
It is purely a matter of preference. I prefer the undampened feel of the ball hitting the strings and don't like looking for dampeners when they fly off my racket.

Impossible
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I Do !