Rafa doubtful for Sydney [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa doubtful for Sydney

nobama
01-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Wow...I wonder if he'll miss AO too? Even if he does decide to play he'll have had no match practice for several months so I can't see him getting very far in the tournament. That sucks.

http://www.vamosrafael.com/home.html

Rafa is Doubtful for Sydney

It appears that Rafa's 2006 debut will be further delayed. As reported by Ultima Hora, Rafa has decided not to play the BNP Sydney International, which begins on January 9, 2006. Rafa already has withdrawn from next week's Chennai tournment.

Because of the pain in his left foot, Rafa is now using insoles to correct his foot placement to prevent further injury. He has not adjusted to the insoles, which presently strain his calves.

He has two weeks to get used to the special insoles before playing the Australian Open, beginning January 16. It is a race against time. If it were another tournament, Rafa would not think of playing, but because it's the year's first slam, he is going to make the effort. As his uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, explains: "Rafa has recovered from the injury to his foot but the change of support pressure points, because of the insoles, have caused muscle strain and that is the problem that makes us doubtful for Australia. We will only travel if he is fully fit. We cannot play thinking of getting through one round."

ReturnWinner
01-03-2006, 01:18 AM
It is confirmed he will not play sydney

Deboogle!.
01-03-2006, 01:29 AM
:(

mandoura
01-03-2006, 01:44 AM
:( :sad:

Lopaka
01-03-2006, 01:44 AM
The only positive thing seems to be a post found by Moondancer on the BBC board and posted on RN/VR

This was copied direct for the BBC Board posted by ssaigon

Hi everyone.

Good news to all "El prodigio" fans. Nadal played this last 30 of December a private serious one-set match against Carlos Moya here in Mallorca and won 7-6 in the tie-break. (played on fast hard). It´s very good news since Carlos is in a much better physical shape and is looking very sharp indeed. I reckon Moya will make his way through the top 10 agains this year.

Rafa´s fitness is still 50%, will probably increase around 70-80% before the AO, but he´s definetely in the right path for a good comeback.

Percentages not withstanding I can't help but wonder besides getting used to his new insoles will there be enough time for him to get acclimated to the weather in Australia especially without competition in Sydney. :confused:

Federerthebest
01-03-2006, 02:02 AM
He is running scared from Hewitt. :lol:

TenHound
01-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Sounds like there won't be enough time to prepare him to play best of 5 - well - in 2 weeks. At least he took his injury seriously & made adjustments. If Roger has made any adjustments, he's keeping them to himself...

Flibbertigibbet
01-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Gah, I hope he can make it to the Australian Open, but if it'll further injure him, then it's not very advisable. :sad:

Bad Religion
01-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Rafa injured is a better player than 99.9 % of the players :D :D

Go RAFA in Australia

mangoes
01-03-2006, 03:03 AM
He is running scared from Hewitt. :lol:

:lol: ...........for some reason, I doubt that :lol:

nobama
01-03-2006, 03:19 AM

Go RAFA in Australia
:haha:

Corey Feldman
01-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Rafa struggling with an injury??
Oh well tough shit :D

mojo37_12
01-03-2006, 03:43 AM

I wonder which players are included in the .1%? :)

mangoes
01-03-2006, 04:35 AM
I wonder which players are included in the .1%? :)

Roger............of course ;)

Sparko1030
01-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Too bad Rafa won't be playing but that is better than risking making the injury worse. He is so young with so much tennis ahead of him he (and Uncle Tony) are wise to be cautious. From what I've seen foot injuries seem tricky to fully recover from (just from seeing other atheletes and even my own hubby).

victory1
01-03-2006, 06:14 AM
His style of play will always bring injury. In recent years only Guga has been the only consistent clay court player that managed to stay in the top 3 for more then 2 consecutive years; and that's not because they no longer can play but all have struggled because of injuries after their dominating year!

RonE
01-03-2006, 10:13 AM
This does not sound good. Hopefully he will recover and adjust quickly in time for the Open.

yanchr
01-03-2006, 01:46 PM
But to play to his maximum when injured is risking to be worse than maybe 99.9% of the players afterwards :rolleyes:

I hope Nadal can make the Australian Open fully fit.

mallorn
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Nadal in doubt for Sydney
BY NICKI TUGWELL
January 04, 2006

WHIZ kid world No. 2 Rafael Nadal's bid for a second grand slam title at the Australian Open is in danger of being derailed by a nuisance foot injury.

The teen Spanish sensation may have to veer from his chosen pathway to the Australian Open and withdraw from Sydney's Medibank International, which begins on Sunday.

Due to depart Spain tomorrow night and arrive in Sydney on Friday morning, his camp is waiting until the last possible minute to make a call on his less-than convincing fitness.

Medibank International organisers are sweating on the decision of the Sydney tournament's poster boy who features on advertisements and promotional merchandise and who represents a blockbuster challenge to defending champion Lleyton Hewitt.

It was Nadal who Hewitt overcame in an epic five-setter on the road to the Australian Open final last year in just under four hours.

His agent Carlos Costa said yesterday a report in Palma de Mallorca's daily newspaper Ultima Hora that Nadal will not play at the Sydney tournament was premature.

"Carlos speaks to Rafael every day and said he is still practising, it (his foot) still hurts but he is still practising and he is still booked on a flight on Thursday," said Brian Cooney of the International Management Group.

"But he said he is not guaranteeing it (playing in Sydney) because there are still issues, they are taking it down to the wire because they don't want to come down to the Australian Open having not played.

"He is going to give it every chance as I understand it. They will make a decision on Thursday."

Nadal, the second best performed player on the ATP circuit last season behind Roger Federer, withdrew from this week's Chennai Open with the foot and related calf complaint.

The 19-year-old from the holiday resort island Mallorca is the first teenager to finish No. 2 since Boris Becker in 1986. He won 11 titles last year, including the French Open and four of the nine Masters Series on three different surfaces. That equalled Federer, but he won more matches (79) than the stand-out world No. 1.

Nadal broke the teenage record with his 11 titles, previously held by Mats Wilander (nine) in 1983.

The new insoles Nadal is wearing to correct the placement of his left foot is causing pain and has caused straining in his calves.

Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, said: "Rafael has recovered from the injury to his foot but the change of support because of the insoles have caused muscle strain and that is the problem that makes us doubtful for Australia. We will only travel if he is fully fit."

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17721809-5001023,00.html (http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17721809-5001023,00.html)

Tennis_Passion
01-03-2006, 06:33 PM
That is unfortunate, I was hoping Roger will at least have to sweat for the Australian win.
Guess he will just have walk over everyone...

RonE
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
He won 11 titles last year, including the French Open and four of the nine Masters Series on three different surfaces. That equalled Federer, but he won more matches (79) than the stand-out world No. 1.

Nice to see the writer of the article has his facts down pat.

Deboogle!.
01-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Nice to see the writer of the article has his facts down pat.Typical tennis writing at its best :lol: :yeah:

Clara Bow
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical tennis writing at its best :lol: :yeah:

If I recall correctly, the ATP show from last week was summarizing Rafa's year and said that he won 10 titles and only one (Montreal) on hard. Sheesh...

Is it just me or are tennis articles some of the most error-laden articles in sport?

Back to topic- the more I read, the more worried I am for Nadal. As someone said on vr.com- I wonder if this is a case where the cure is worse than the disease.

Deboogle!.
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
If I recall correctly, the ATP show from last week was summarizing Rafa's year and said that he won 10 titles and only one (Montreal) on hard. Sheesh...

Is it just me or are tennis articles some of the most error-laden articles in sport?OY GEVALT! Back to topic- the more I read, the more worried I am for Nadal. As someone said on vr.com- I wonder if this is a case where the cure is worse than the disease.It's worrying that he's so young but has had some relatively serious injuries, like his stress fracture a couple years ago, this foot problem etc. For his sake, I hope he's got someone who does injury prevention on his team? He seems fit enough but he's been hurt a fair amount for a kid his age. :(

Fumus
01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Who knows what the real issue is for sure. Maybe they wanted more practice time or sumtin for Rafa...

One thing is for sure, he will play in the Aussie.

fyi
01-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Clara Bow,

Regarding the ATP show saying that Rafa had 10 titles and only Montreal was on hard.....
It was completely wrong. He got 11 titles last year. Montreal & China are hard, and Madrid is indoor. So they were 3 non-clay titles.

PahelWaske
01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Even if he'll play at the Aussie Open, his gameplan is not supposed to work without a decent fitnis, under pain.....to be honest I can't stand him, but he's the greatest talent and the biggest fighter besides Lyeton, therefore it's frustrating to see him in such a bad position due to an injury :sad:

Dirk
01-04-2006, 08:43 AM
His style of play will always bring injury. In recent years only Guga has been the only consistent clay court player that managed to stay in the top 3 for more then 2 consecutive years; and that's not because they no longer can play but all have struggled because of injuries after their dominating year!

Guga had a different problem. His groin pain was due to a groin injury according to his doctors so he was treating a groin injury during 01 but then after Oz 02 he was told it was a hip injury and the groin pain was a symptom. Guga had shitty doctors and that makes it all the more tragic for him.

You are right, Nadal's style of play will always bring injuries and unless he does some major adjustments to his game and style of play (which he won't and it's debatable if he even should) then it will only get worse. Of course if not for his style of play he wouldn't be where he is so you have to take the bad with the good on this one.

*Ljubica*
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
That is unfortunate, I was hoping Roger will at least have to sweat for the Australian win.
Guess he will just have walk over everyone...

Might as well cancel the tournament and give the title to Roger now then hadn't we :rolleyes: Seems that Safin beating him at AO last year and Nalbandian in the TMC have gone from your mind already :rolleyes:

Galaxystorm
01-04-2006, 02:24 PM
The definitive decision about travelling or not to Melbourne will be taken on next Monday or Tuesday .

At the end of the week Nadal has planned to travel to Barcelona and to pass the last test .

This last test will be two straight days playing tough matches , forcing, against some sparrings in Barcelona ( since those days it will be very difficult to find good sparrings in Mallorca because they will be playing out of the Island )

In those two days of tough matches/practises ( playing more time than an hour and a half as he has been doing so far ) Nadal will evaluate how his calves respond to these two tough days of test , and will take the definitive decision .

By the way , Nadal has already informed officially to the ATP/Sydney about his withdrawal in this tournament , a new already known unofficially since several days ago .

PS: As it usually happens in these cases . Nadal is very excited about playing the Aus Open , and his coach/uncle is the prudent person who's doubtful about if he must play in Melbourne .
The decision on Monday / Tuesday ;)

~EMiLiTA~
01-04-2006, 02:35 PM
ok thanks for the info Galaxystorm...i hope he's fit to play in Melbourne cos i want to see him again!!

Clara Bow
01-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Clara Bow,

Regarding the ATP show saying that Rafa had 10 titles and only Montreal was on hard.....
It was completely wrong. He got 11 titles last year. Montreal & China are hard, and Madrid is indoor. So they were 3 non-clay titles.

Exactly- that was my point...that the ATP show was wrong. :)

Galaxystorm, thanks for the updates. I really hope he does okay during the tests and gets out to Melbourne. Even if he does get out there, he will not be in a good position to go very far, I'm afraid with his lack of match play. Regardless, I still want to see him at the Aussie Open.

Lopaka
01-04-2006, 05:39 PM
The Nadal team seems to have done fairly well so far balancing excitement and enthusiasm against what we hope will prove to be sound medical judgements.

Of course pain can be a good learning tool. :rolleyes:

As much as we may want to see Rafa back on the court I think most of us want to see him in competition for a long time to come. I'll be sorry if Rafa can't play Melbourne but his long term well being in more important than any tournament.

I wonder who they have found in Barcelona to test Rafa recuperation and fitness to play. :confused:

MariaV
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the latest news Galaxy.

Castafiore
01-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Nadal out of the Sydney tournament, in serious doubt for the AO
:sad:

McNamee also confirmed Nadal was in "great doubt" with the foot injury that has sidelined the Spanish teenager since the Madrid Masters in October.

Nadal's loss would elevate Andy Roddick to Australian Open second seed, allowing him to avoid a possible match-up with world No.1 Roger Federer until the final.

Australia's world No.4 Lleyton Hewitt, who lost last year's final to Safin, will assume third seed billing.

Safin, who pulled out of Russia's Hopman Cup campaign on Christmas Eve, almost certainly won't defend his title in Melbourne due to knee tendonitis that has sidelined him for five months.

Former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova is also an unlikely starter with a strained right shoulder, while Australian No.2 Wayne Arthurs (calf) is another player in doubt.

McNamee doesn't believe Nadal, who pushed Hewitt to a five-set thriller in the Open quarter-finals last year, will return to Melbourne in 2006.
"I'm not optimistic," he said.

"I do think he might miss. Fifty-fifty isn't a great stat, really."

McNamee did say the fact the Spaniard didn't pull out of both Melbourne and Sydney on Thursday was encouraging.
:awww: :crying2:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Agassi-out-of-Open-Nadal-in-grave-doubt/2006/01/05/1136387551355.html

Federerthebest
01-05-2006, 08:33 AM
If Nadal pulls out of the Australian Open it means that it's easier for Federer to keep his number-one ranking! Federer! :worship: